BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 38

2010-12-28 2:55 PM
in reply to: #3264863

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma
Subject: RE: BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED

crlarner - 2010-12-28 3:54 PM K. I think I got it. Is it just a table with all our names and links?

Looks perfect.

2010-12-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: #3256072

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

TIP OF THE DAY:

If you would like to respond to an inspire in your log, hit reply and it will reply in the other person's log.  If you just type in a response below, the person sending you the original inspire is likely not to see it.

2010-12-28 3:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico

Got the table thanks!

Considering Curt’s thoughts I face the following challenges (my guess is that we all do):

1)  Organize a schedule that would allow me to follow a training plan while complying with my responsibilities.

2)  Amend my training plan if needed.

3)  Be inspired and a source of inspiration to others

4)  Improve personal times every month

5)  Lose excess weight

So, Josh, I would love to participate in the challenges you were writing about.  I’d be interested in something that helps me with 4 and 5 of the above as well as participating in a Sprint Tri in August.  Laughing  

2010-12-28 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3264699

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
croixfan - 2010-12-28 1:42 PM Will play / up for a challenge.  Just finishing up the "peach challenge" for December -- can advise AGAINST it as you do need the days off!!!!

A couple of thoughts:

1.  Develop a plan for the month and stick to it (3 days, 4 days, a week / whatever makes sense for you)
2.  Check at least 2 others logs for the day and provide at least one inspire every day.  Once you get a few, you'll understand how nice these are.
3.  Do a time trial in one discipline -- you choose the distance -- and see if you can beat it by 5% by month's end
4.  The dreaded weigh in at the beginning and end of the month

Other ideas?

Great ideas I'm up for any challenge you guys decide on.
2010-12-28 4:14 PM

Veteran
I like Curt's idea, especially the time trial. I do the weigh in now, but that hasn't moved much. I am down 10 lbs overall, but have a long way to go. Perhaps some of you can give me some hints on those fast swim times.
2010-12-29 6:47 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
I like Curts ideas as well.

New bike trainer on the way -- just in time to get serious in January! (cycleops Fluid 2)

2010-12-29 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Good ideas.  I like the time trial one.  We can do one sport every month, Jan - Mar.  Let's start with the run, because I know some folks are still getting their bike situation set up.   You can pick the distance you want to do, but I think 5k is a good TT distance.  We can do it the first week in Jan.  I will set up a spreadsheet on Google Documents so we can all update our times. 

As far as some of the other ideas, I think everyone should try and inspire a couple of people everyday.  If you don't know how to leave an inspire, let me know.

Have a good day.

2010-12-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3263500

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

itziaol - 2010-12-27 7:41 PM
croixfan - 2010-12-27 4:23 PM Itzia -- You might want to check this out....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=237347&posts=1&start=1

I looked at the Roubaix when I was shopping and it's a sweet bike.  While it would not be new, it would likely be a great ride if the fit was OK for you.  My guess is you could off load it after a year if you wanted something different and not lose very much.

Good luck!

Curt – That Roubaix does look nice.  But I think it might be too big for me.  I’ll check it though.  Thank you so much for the link!  Now I know where to look for second hand bikes in this site.

Ail – Thanks for the advice on how to shop for cycling shoes.  I’m making a note of that.

I’ll try to attach my training plan in case someone has a chance to have a look at it.  I found one at BT and I changed it to suit my needs while working with distance instead of time. 

I haven’t been able to move for 10 days now.  I’m going crazy! Undecided

I finally had a chance to download your training plan.  Here are my initial thoughts -

1. If you are a "fish" like you say you are, you swim totals are WAY to low.  Your weekly totals should be your warm-ups for each workout.    Especially if you have to take it easy biking and running for a couple of weeks. 

2. I am not sure what the true extent of your injuries are, but some of the bike totals look a lit low.  Once the doctor gives you the go ahead to train fully, you might find the bike distances seem a bit short.

3.  Planning for 10 months out is a long time.  Don't worry, I did it too this past year.  Focus on the 1st couple of months, don't be married to this plan.  You may find you need to change it as you go and your fitness increases.

4.  Do the first couple of weeks and then decide if you need to adjust any of the workouts.  The 10%/10%/-25% is a good formula.  You just need to see if the starting point is correct.

I hope this helps.

2010-12-29 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

TIP OF THE DAY:

This website is really good for swimming.  I am a visual person - tell me how to do something and I may get, but I only need to see it once to pick it up.  This site really helped me figure out body position in the water.

http://www.swimsmooth.com/

2010-12-29 10:06 AM
in reply to: #3265870

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-29 8:48 AM

TIP OF THE DAY:

This website is really good for swimming.  I am a visual person - tell me how to do something and I may get, but I only need to see it once to pick it up.  This site really helped me figure out body position in the water.

Thanks -- I need to check this out, and start to work on breathing bilaterally. I'm a one side only kind of swimmer now, and want to get bilateral.
2010-12-29 10:24 AM

Veteran
Hey Josh, I posted a response to core workouts in inspire. Let me know if you got it.

2010-12-29 10:48 AM
in reply to: #3265850

User image

Veteran
Cuernavaca, Mexico
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-29 8:42 AM

itziaol - 2010-12-27 7:41 PM
croixfan - 2010-12-27 4:23 PM Itzia -- You might want to check this out....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=237347&posts=1&start=1

I looked at the Roubaix when I was shopping and it's a sweet bike.  While it would not be new, it would likely be a great ride if the fit was OK for you.  My guess is you could off load it after a year if you wanted something different and not lose very much.

Good luck!

Curt – That Roubaix does look nice.  But I think it might be too big for me.  I’ll check it though.  Thank you so much for the link!  Now I know where to look for second hand bikes in this site.

Ail – Thanks for the advice on how to shop for cycling shoes.  I’m making a note of that.

I’ll try to attach my training plan in case someone has a chance to have a look at it.  I found one at BT and I changed it to suit my needs while working with distance instead of time. 

I haven’t been able to move for 10 days now.  I’m going crazy! Undecided

I finally had a chance to download your training plan.  Here are my initial thoughts -

1. If you are a "fish" like you say you are, you swim totals are WAY to low.  Your weekly totals should be your warm-ups for each workout.    Especially if you have to take it easy biking and running for a couple of weeks. 

2. I am not sure what the true extent of your injuries are, but some of the bike totals look a lit low.  Once the doctor gives you the go ahead to train fully, you might find the bike distances seem a bit short.

3.  Planning for 10 months out is a long time.  Don't worry, I did it too this past year.  Focus on the 1st couple of months, don't be married to this plan.  You may find you need to change it as you go and your fitness increases.

4.  Do the first couple of weeks and then decide if you need to adjust any of the workouts.  The 10%/10%/-25% is a good formula.  You just need to see if the starting point is correct.

I hope this helps.

Thank you Josh for your comments! Laughing

1. LOL I used to swim 3000m every day, but that was way back in high school.  I guess I’m a fish who feels at ease in the water and has the technique but is completely out of shape!  You are right though. I just started from an Olympic distance goal and worked my way back with the formulas without considering ability.  I changed that.  I hope you can have a look at it again.  I also added some colour to help me differentiate between sessions.  I just wish excel had more subtle colours.  You might need your sun glasses to read my plan! Cool
  2. I also increased my biking goal and corrected a mistake in one of the biking formulas. I have to admit that I’m afraid to practice three sports at one time… That might be the main reason my first month was too easy.   
  3. I like having an ambitious goal that gives me direction and then smaller goals that give me confidence when reached and help me to get to the final goal.  But I understand that my goals have to be flexible.  In fact, I’ve worked out a schedule in order to be able to carry out my training plan.  It took some lobbying, negotiation and compromise from my part but the most important challenge I have really is to be able to keep up with it.  If I can’t, then my training plan will just have to change. 

Since I don’t think I’ll be able to run in January I’ll do the challenge with swim if that’s alright with you.  I’m starting the biking with a mountain bike.

If anyone is interested in using this plan, you can do so by all means.  I will gladly adjust it to your schedule and training needs. 

Have a lovely day!

Attachments
----------------
TRAINING PROGRAMME 2011 TECNICOLORED VERSION.xls (60KB - 13 downloads)
2010-12-29 11:56 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
Well, time to really get my butt moving. I just spent the money to sign up for a 1/2 marathon in March. I've been training toward this for a couple weeks, and have a plan to take me to race day, but now that I'm an official entrant, it takes on a whole new meaning. 
2010-12-29 12:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Why was I so stupid as to recommend a TT?  Now I actually have to do this.  Duh.

Kidding aside, what's the best way to time trial on a treadmill?  Also, while I don't need to "taper", I definitely have to take a couple of days easy prior to putting down a time.  This stupid peach challenge is catching up with me at the end of this month.  On the plus side, while I'm tired, the body actually feels good; and, knock on wood, I've not had any injuries during the stretch.

I'll try and drop by a few training logs and check on how everyone else is doing.

Also, have a bit of pity on me -- Illinois is playing in a bowl game and opening the B10 season tonight on the hardwood.  History would suggest I'm not going to be in a good mood.
2010-12-29 12:45 PM
in reply to: #3265870

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Boston Beginner - 2010-12-29 9:48 AM

TIP OF THE DAY:

Thanks for the link and I had a chance to check out the site.  There is definitely a lot of info on the site which will be use to me.  
2010-12-29 5:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
OK folks, I've done some digging and think that I'm going to go forward with the 16 week, 3x Olympic program.  Can someone help me to understand what I'm suppose to do on the "short", "medium" and "long" workouts?  For example, on the run I've been doing most of my 1/2 hour work outs at a 10 minute pace.  Today I did 15 minutes at a bit over a 9 minute pace and worked in one minute intervals at paces up to 7 minute pace.  Do I just do a steady pace for the work out, intervals, something else?

Appreciate the insights.

2010-12-29 7:14 PM
in reply to: #3266983

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

croixfan - 2010-12-29 6:47 PM OK folks, I've done some digging and think that I'm going to go forward with the 16 week, 3x Olympic program.  Can someone help me to understand what I'm suppose to do on the "short", "medium" and "long" workouts?  For example, on the run I've been doing most of my 1/2 hour work outs at a 10 minute pace.  Today I did 15 minutes at a bit over a 9 minute pace and worked in one minute intervals at paces up to 7 minute pace.  Do I just do a steady pace for the work out, intervals, something else?

Appreciate the insights.

Did you upload the plan into your logs?  This should give you detailed workouts everyday.  If you don't know how, let me know and I will walk you through it.

2010-12-29 10:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL

Josh I've got the plans printed / won't have any problems getting them in to the logs.  The question I have is what exactly do I do during a 17 minute run versus a 70 minute run for example?  My guess is that the short work outs are more for speed / intervals and the long are for lower heart rate activities.  Just trying to get some insights in to typical short, medium, and long work outs.

Also still looking for the best approach to do the TT on the treadmill.  Right now I'd likely set it at 8:00 or 8:30 pace for the start of the month and shoot for 7:30 or 8:00 pace at the end of the month.

2010-12-30 7:27 AM

User image

Master
Just South of Boston
How is everyone doing this AM? I'm feeling great, and starting the year-end look back at 2010. A year ago this time, I was a very out of shape, overweight, non active couch jockey. Since mid march, I feel I have truly transformed myself through a lifestyle change that has me invigorated and psyched to get out there and make 2011 even better. I have big plans for the upcoming year, and look forward to making them all happen. OK, enough cheerleading....

Managed to get in a 5 miile run this AM, but had to use the treadmill at the gym. Too much ice/snow on the roads & sidewalks for my usual early AM run. The weather is looking warm for the next week, so hopefully most of the ice/snow goes away, and I can reclaim my outdoor running.

New Running Shoes/Feet Question --  The last 2 or 3 runs I've taken have resulted in sore feet the next day. The soreness is just on the bottom of my feet and goes away in a day. I'm thinking my current shoes are just old, and need replacing. I've used them since early this year, and have been my shoes for any/all activities weather it be running, fitness class, wearing around on weekends, etc. I've had zero problems with them regarding fit/feel, etc. So, if I go get new shoes, should I just take these things with me and tell the shoe/running store folks I want something like these? My current shoes are $30 new balance shoes I bought at Costco, and I've certainly realized my money's worth on them. My concern is about switching shoes. I've read lots of horror stories on BT about folks getting new shoes and suddenly having a multitude of things go wrong with injury, etc. Any advice is welcome!

My bike trainer arrives today, and tomorrow is bike fitting day. with the warm weather coming up, I may just take the bike out for a real road ride....
2010-12-30 8:04 AM
in reply to: #3267349

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

croixfan - 2010-12-29 11:31 PM

Josh I've got the plans printed / won't have any problems getting them in to the logs.  The question I have is what exactly do I do during a 17 minute run versus a 70 minute run for example?  My guess is that the short work outs are more for speed / intervals and the long are for lower heart rate activities.  Just trying to get some insights in to typical short, medium, and long work outs.

Also still looking for the best approach to do the TT on the treadmill.  Right now I'd likely set it at 8:00 or 8:30 pace for the start of the month and shoot for 7:30 or 8:00 pace at the end of the month.

I will take a look at the plan.  My plans are pretty detailed for each work out.

TT is supposed to be all out.  So go as fast as you can.  If you can go faster than 8:00 at the beginning of the month, go for it. 

2010-12-30 8:07 AM
in reply to: #3267565

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Mike_D - 2010-12-30 8:27 AM How is everyone doing this AM? I'm feeling great, and starting the year-end look back at 2010. A year ago this time, I was a very out of shape, overweight, non active couch jockey. Since mid march, I feel I have truly transformed myself through a lifestyle change that has me invigorated and psyched to get out there and make 2011 even better. I have big plans for the upcoming year, and look forward to making them all happen. OK, enough cheerleading....

Managed to get in a 5 miile run this AM, but had to use the treadmill at the gym. Too much ice/snow on the roads & sidewalks for my usual early AM run. The weather is looking warm for the next week, so hopefully most of the ice/snow goes away, and I can reclaim my outdoor running.

New Running Shoes/Feet Question --  The last 2 or 3 runs I've taken have resulted in sore feet the next day. The soreness is just on the bottom of my feet and goes away in a day. I'm thinking my current shoes are just old, and need replacing. I've used them since early this year, and have been my shoes for any/all activities weather it be running, fitness class, wearing around on weekends, etc. I've had zero problems with them regarding fit/feel, etc. So, if I go get new shoes, should I just take these things with me and tell the shoe/running store folks I want something like these? My current shoes are $30 new balance shoes I bought at Costco, and I've certainly realized my money's worth on them. My concern is about switching shoes. I've read lots of horror stories on BT about folks getting new shoes and suddenly having a multitude of things go wrong with injury, etc. Any advice is welcome!

My bike trainer arrives today, and tomorrow is bike fitting day. with the warm weather coming up, I may just take the bike out for a real road ride....

Go to Marathon Sports on 53 in Norwell.  Bring your old shoes.  They will do a gait analysis and fit you with correct shoes.  You may be paying more, but as your volume increases leading up to your half, you will want to make sure you have the correct shoes.  It may take a couple of weeks to get used to.  And the pain in your feet are definitely a sign the shoes are worn out.  Somewhere between 300-400 miles is the usual lifespan.  And I know people who once they find a shoe, by 3 or 4 pairs at a time. 

2010-12-30 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ
Mike,
Congrats on the transformation in 2010.  Keep up the progress.

Josh,
I am also interested in the best way to perform a TT on a treadmill.  Is this an acceptable method for a TT or should it been done on a set course? 
2010-12-30 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3267645

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

otisbrown - 2010-12-30 9:10 AM Mike,
Congrats on the transformation in 2010.  Keep up the progress.

Josh,
I am also interested in the best way to perform a TT on a treadmill.  Is this an acceptable method for a TT or should it been done on a set course? 

You can do it on the treadmill or outdoors.  A couple of things about outdoors for a TT is make sure you can run the same course at the beginning and end of the month and make sure you are able to run the whole course without stopping at stop signs, street crossings or lights. 

As far as the treadmill goes, just get on and start running.  If the setting you have is too fast, slow down, and visa versa. 

2010-12-30 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3267640

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Mike I'd second Josh on going to a reputable running store.  My son run's XC and puts in big miles -- he's around 1400 miles since May.  We went to the local Roadrunner store and they did a gait analysis, recommended shoes, AND fit him for custom in soles.  He's had no problems / done great.  I got to thinking "maybe this would be a good idea".   Got fitted with in soles and they have been great.  My wife -- who does NOT run but likes to walk -- got to thinking, got fitted and absolutely loves how the shoes fit. 

Since you're putting in the effort, I'd make the trip.  You've only got one body and taking care of it needs to be at the top of your "to do" list.
2010-12-30 8:21 AM

Veteran
Hey Mike, Great job. Consistancy is now key, but it sounds like your disciplined and focused. I never really paid much attention to shoes and their importance until I got Planter Fasc. this summer and let me say it sucks! I had PT and had to quit running for a few months. So my two cents is that if you are going to workout as much as you are every 6 mo. is the most I would wait for shoes. A year on $30 dollar shoes is potential injury.

As to running outside, yaktraxs are awesome. I just got them for xmas and you don't even notice when you hit the ice or snow. I am about to give up the treadmill because I find I am getting better workout and better times outside, even in the snow and ice.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BB's Really Beginner Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 38