Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-12-27 3:54 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
Tim is there any way I can get you to add Court to your list. That should complete it. Thanks Again

I'm going to swim tonight this should be interesting! I need you there so I can draft.

2010-12-27 5:13 PM
in reply to: #3262685

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
gabrelsj - 2010-12-27 9:44 AM

tim- that book looks like something we all could benefit from.  i have a real hard time with GI issues whenever i use anyhting like food or gels.  people have said that you just have to train your stomach but mine does not seem to cooperate.  does the book address that?  or have you had any experience with that?

thanks
jason

One thing you might take a look at with gels is making sure you drink enough water when you take one.  Gels are so concentrated that if you just eat it without taking in much water your GI tract is having to work harder to pass the nutrients into your system.  That can lead to cramps or nausea.  Obviously, the amount of water you need is going to vary than the next person to you'll just have to try different amounts during training.
2010-12-27 5:56 PM

User image

springfield il
Wow, great fun catching up on everyone's posts!
Christmas was much better than expected. It was our first Christmas with no family and we are new to Illinois, so are friends are elsewhere too. But thanks to the magic and Skype and Xbox Kinect, We enjoyed watching family open gifts, and playing games. Missed the hugs but at least enjoyed family and friends

Good, if short, workouts today:
My first ever snow run, a tad awkward and flatfooted, but proud of myself none the less.
I'm getting on the trainer for 45 min on the bike here in just a few minutes. My bike computer doesn't fit on the back wheel so I can't track mileage. However I have borrowed some DVD; the cadence is decent and the National Parks scenery is fabulous.

I go the gym to start my swim training tomorrow, I love swimming, but I haven't swam for speed in a long time, and I suspect it will take me a month or more to  get my distance up as well.
I am also doing various Pilates workouts, 20 to 30min 5 to 6x a week. The goal is 2hrs a week. I focus core and upper or lower body strength plus additional stretching and flexibility. I generally start my morning with these. Although I've done weights before I'm not planning to at this time.

I like several of the bg plans but none seem to be just right. I welcome any suggestions currently
i'm kinda just guessing at it.

The Galena Tri sounds fabulous. I would really like to do that one as it is on my birthday and seems pretty great. I will decide by Feb 1 so I can get in on registration.
2010-12-27 5:57 PM

User image

springfield il
Subject:

Edited by mfspears 2010-12-27 6:11 PM
2010-12-27 6:29 PM

User image

New user

I am having such a hard time trying to keep up with everyone!

Can someone tell me how to post or get our member list into my training log? or even set up my training log? I'm so lost, and so totally new to this site. HB is working so I have no one but my dog to help me! haha!

ps. merry late christmas, I hope it was a good one for everyone
2010-12-27 7:25 PM
in reply to: #3263481

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great job Mary running in the snow, just be careful!

Mary (merrberruns) I am no expert at posting or this site but Ill try to walk you through it. Please chime is if someone knows a better way!

1: go to training log
2: Depending on what your defaults are (mine go to current workout) hit the training tab under todays date.
3: From there enter your workout you did to day.

To post our list:
I hightlighted tims list and copied it.
then in my training log at the top is the word edit (select and paste in there)

As for keeping all we can do it try to keep up there will be days with a ton of post and some slower days.  If someone has a question that gets skipped over just repost it or if its directly for me just PM me. 

2010-12-27 7:42 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Cancel my way of how to do the group list none of the links work out of mine so I stayed in Tim's bio.   Any ideas of how to get it to paste into others accounts?
2010-12-27 7:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
I did The Great Illini half in early September.  6 hours, 8 mins. 

As for helping people post to this site, I'm not even understanding your questions   I leave my page open so anyone can look.  That way I avoid the hassle of adding friends every time we change groups.  As for posting on the training log, go to your page, hit training log and up comes today,...add your numbers for each sport and save. 
2010-12-27 8:55 PM
in reply to: #3263549

User image

New user

Thanks! I'm working on it, I'll get there. None of my links work either in the group list. so when someone figures out how to get it to work, I'd love to know!
2010-12-27 9:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
Sorry for the late intro - the family has been hogging the computer and all my free time. But all is back on track now. 

Name:  Erin (sanhador)

Story:  I am an athlete that has great ideas, but I tend to fall behind somewhat in the follow through. I have delusions of grandeur and then find some way of sabotaging myself so that I have an excuse as to why I didn't live up to my potential. My mom is my biggest inspiration - not because she's done anything amazing, but when I was born she competed in triathlon and ran a lot and now she has let herself go to the point she can barely climb a flight of stairs. I've been told that I look exactly like here when she was younger. And so I don't want to end up like her in 20 years. I work in Sales so I tend to have long days and no weekends free for events. Plus I live about 4 hours from any events. So I have one week of vacation this year and I am going to make this my year. I'm going to compete in Barb's Triathlon which is HIM distance. I wanted to do the Full Vineman, but decided that was a little bit too ambitious considering I haven't completed a triathlon in 2 years or trained religiously since um...ever. Somewhere in the last year though I managed to actually enjoyed exercise and found I missed it when I wasn't able to get out. 

Family Status:
  I am single and my family lives about a days drive away - so it's pretty much me and my boss that sets my schedule. 

Current Training:
 I am following the Essential week-by-week Training Guide by Matt Fitzgerald. Just started my base period and I am ramping up to the HIM program.

2010 Races:
 None

Weightloss:
 I am holding steady at 250-260 but I really want to get down to 175. It's a process and if I dial in nutrition I know I can get there. I am 6'1" so everyone thinks I weigh 180-190 but it is just an illusion. 

Expectations: I'm looking to have a great season. My goal is to complete the HIM. My kick butt goal is to place in the top half of my age group which would mean a 6:20 HIM time. Doable but  it is going to take some work. I'm looking to develop some good contacts and new friends. I'm looking for some pointers and advice on where to turn when the going gets rough. I expect to be challenged and held accountable for my training goals by everyone in this group and I will return the favor. I want to do more than simply survive this season - I want to THRIVE. I feel like 2011 is a year that is going to take me places in many ways and I'm going to start in triathlon. 

Where I am now:
Swim: I can swim 200 yds without stopping in about 5 minutes. I have a 60 foot pool that is two lanes wide and has no lane dividers at the gym I go to. It turns into the washing machine when it is just me in the pool. So when I have to share lanes it becomes very much like an OWS. 
Bike: As much as I can but then I'm pretty much starting from scratch.
Run: I became a runner the other day. For the first time I went out and just went I found a pace that I could just keep going. I really enjoyed that run. 
Lifting weight/core: I used to do kettlebells for quite awhile and used 50 lb bells for almost everything. Right now I am working on the 100 pushups and 200 situps challenge to strengthen my core. 
Weight (if you want to post if not just put how many lbs to goal) 250

Where do I want to be?
7 months from now I want be crossing the finish line strong. In the top half of my age group. Weighing no more than 225. Able to complete 100 pushups and 200 situps at a time. Completed the program and pushed myself as hard as I could. And I want to have fun doing it. 

Looking forward to a great 2011!!
2010-12-27 10:22 PM

User image

Expert
Ok- after this I start charging by the hour for any more additions -haha.   In order to get the links to work you can't just copy and paste from this board.  You need to do the following:

First on this post with the table in it, hit the quote button, you will then be able to copy the table.

Next go to your log and hit the edit link that is just below that orange RSS button when the edit window opens you can then paste the table you copied from the forum post.

Let me know if you need further help

razorxp Mentor Group

razorxp -Dave
kcgolf - Kevin
robburkett - Rob
gabrelsj - Jason
cspreiter - Caleb
monkeyshines9879-Steph
tmoran80 - Tim
IceManScott - Scott
merrberruns - Mary
mfspears - Mary
kdevarenne - Keith
cheekymonkeys1 - Deborah brybrymd - Bryan
sanhador - Erin
Itsch1 - Court

2010-12-27 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Managed to finally get to the pool tonight.

Not bad considering the last time I swam was 'maybe' October?

I also officially signed up for the computrainer class, the 'strength training for triathletes' and a coached swim.

The swim and the strength are at 5:30 am Surprised

2010-12-27 10:26 PM
in reply to: #3263438

User image

Expert
Mary - Signup for Galena!!  It is a great race and has great post race party with good food.Smile

The Galena Tri sounds fabulous. I would really like to do that one as it is on my birthday and seems pretty great. I will decide by Feb 1 so I can get in on registration.
2010-12-27 10:28 PM

User image

Expert
David and IceMan - Did you guys volunteer at IM Wisconsin in order to register for 2011?  Any info or tips on that would be great as I plan on volunteering this year so I can race in 2012.  Are all volunteers able to register or does it sell out before all people in line in Madison have registered?

Thanks
2010-12-27 10:32 PM
in reply to: #3263778

User image

Expert
It feels good to know that you get more done before 6am then most people do all day!! 

cheekymonkeys1 - 2010-12-27 10:23 PM

2010-12-27 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3263780

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
tmoran80 - 2010-12-27 11:26 PM Mary - Signup for Galena!!  It is a great race and has great post race party with good food.Smile

Lol, did somebody say fooooood? I may have to sign up too!! ha - j/k (kinda)

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2010-12-27 10:39 PM

2010-12-28 7:06 AM
in reply to: #3263242

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
David,

Yes my ultimate goal is the 70.3 in Augusta.  It won't happen this year but I am shooting for next year.  This year (2011) will be for training and sprints/5ks.  I know rest is good for the body,  but the mind is going crazy!!
2010-12-28 7:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Tim, there were online problems this year for IM Moo sign-up.  It crashed 15 mins into it.  I thought I was screwed.  But they reopened two days later and I got in in 10 mins.  I know people who went up and volunteered.  Wish I could have.  I had something come up.  I would have liked to see the course.  But I plan to train there this year so...

I also bought the DVD, I think its Going the Distance.  It is a documentary on 3 people preparing for the IM Moo.  Shows the crowds, the set up.  I was able to watch some on Universal.  But not like being there I'm sure.

On the weight loss, Erin, you can do it.  I lost 200 pounds cycling and doing tris.  I would watch the heavy lifting.  It adds muscles that you won't use...and muscle is heavy.  Try high reps, moderate to low weights. 

Have a good day y'all.  My swim is done, hard bike for 90 mins awaits after work. Then stretching and foam rollers.   

2010-12-28 9:07 AM
in reply to: #3263080

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
tmoran80 - 2010-12-27 1:52 PM I grew up on the south side in Oak Lawn at 107th & Pulaski - I now live in Aurora.  Aurora is not known for its hills -haha  It's funny that 2 of the 3 triathlons I did last year were known for their hills (Glaena & Branson) yet I really had no way to train easily for them especially the bike.  There is an area over near St. Charles that some guys from my Masters Swim group ride so I might try that this year. 

Lived on the west side of Naperville for awhile, so I'm familiar with the prairies...thus the Prairie Path, eh?

Also some groups/outfitters around Galena offer training rides a few weeks before the race that take you on the actual course.  Might try that too.

In high school we used to out to the old tobaggan chutes over by Rt. 83 and run up those.  I think they would put a serious hurting on me now though - haha

Swallow Cliff!  It's a sledding site now, but I imagine the hills would be killer still.  I live near a park that Lockport runs it's 5k through that my fiance says is mostly hills.  That might be part of the training plan once the snow clears.

Tim - I live in the southwest burbs of Chicago not far from the I&M Canal and there are some wicked hills that are calling my name.  I've already run them and plan on keeping them on my routes for a long time to come.  My fiance and I are thinking of taking a skiing trip in January to Galena and I will use some of that time for reconnaissance.

Thanks for the tip on Galena!
2010-12-28 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
How many Illinois folks are here?  I'm in Bloomington-Normal.
2010-12-28 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3263778

User image

Expert
Deborah mentioned about working out early in the AM and I was just wondering when most of you get your workouts in? 
During the week I am usually at the gym by 5:30am and go til 7am.  When it was warmer I would get a run in during lunch at work.  I think I am going to have to just suck it up and deal with the cold and continue that in order to get my runs in.

I try not to do any workouts in the evenings as I try to spend time with the kids.  If anything I will ride the trainer after they fall asleep.

Sunday late mornings I swim and lift.

cheekymonkeys1 - 2010-12-27 10:23 PM

I also officially signed up for the computrainer class, the 'strength training for triathletes' and a coached swim.

2010-12-28 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3264166

User image

Expert
I think 4 of us?  Rob, Deborah, You and I.

IceManScott - 2010-12-28 9:16 AM How many Illinois folks are here?  I'm in Bloomington-Normal.
2010-12-28 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

I'm from Ohio!

As for getting into IMWI, same story for me did the online route.  On 1st day was on payment page 3 times before it crashed. I was going to race do the race no matter what (comm foundation or coaching entry) it was just a matter of what it cost.

I wish I could work out in the AM but I love my sleep.  I would rather workout until 10pm then get up at 5am.  I'm so lucky to own my own business and have great employees I tend to take extra long lunches (swim or run) and cut out early if I'm doing a long workout and need daylight.

2010-12-28 11:31 AM
in reply to: #3260543

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Open
I can run 5 min miles on the treadmill...for 1 mile and then I have to grab the bar heave over in pain and throw up. Wink
2010-12-28 11:59 AM
in reply to: #3264166

User image

springfield il
IceManScott - 2010-12-28 9:16 AM How many Illinois folks are here?  I'm in Bloomington-Normal.

I'm in Springfield
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76