BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2011-01-01 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3262960

Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - OPEN
I don't see where to add our group members as friends. I'll wait for my other questions and info so it goes to the whole group. Some may have the same questions.

2011-01-01 4:53 PM
in reply to: #3266416

Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED

Im Jeni, 37 yo, from SLC, Utah orginally from Rockville, Md. My husband and I have 4 kids ranging from 9yr to 9months. I did a Sprint tri 8 years ago and knew this was the sport for me. I get bored any one thing for too long. So mixing it up keeps me throughly engaged. Now that I have some more free time Im training. I have always maninted a good fitness level but lacked endurance.
I am an ICU nurse and have worked for the University Hospital in SLC for 10yrs.

Goals 2011: I signed up for the Xterra Oly Road Bike Tri in Moab, Utah May 14th. I want to sign up for about 1 per month. Wondering if that is a reasonable goal or if its too much?

Mostly I am training inside for now. Spin classes, swimming (ill join a Masters group in 2 weeks) and running on the treadmill.  Im using the 20 week training program I found on the the BT website.

I enjoy all the sports equally. They all intimidate me a bit but that is part of the attraction for me. I need some suggestions on buying a good bike on a limited budget. As well, if my Oly tri is 50% trail running should I have trail specific shoes or regular running shoes are ok?
Thank you!

2011-01-01 5:39 PM
in reply to: #3271434

User image

Elite
far northern CA
Subject: RE: owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - OPEN

stjlc - 2011-01-01 2:41 PM I don't see where to add our group members as friends. I'll wait for my other questions and info so it goes to the whole group. Some may have the same questions.

Hi Jeni!  Thanks for checking in!  You can post any questions you have right here at any time.  We will all see what you write.  It doesn't matter if several of you have the same question.  That's why were here together.  We can all learn at the same time from each other.  Just ask away!

As for adding all of us as "friends", here are some instructions.

• Click on "Settings" at the top of the BT page
  • Click on "Training Blog Customization"
  • Click on "Friends"
  • Begin adding all of our names
  • Click on "Update Friends" when you are done
2011-01-01 5:50 PM
in reply to: #3256657

Master
Charlotte, NC
So I spent the day with one of my 3 year olds at the ER today.  Lots of fun and a great way to start off the new year!  Let's hope the rest of the year goes better than it began!!!
2011-01-01 6:13 PM

New user

I started the new year with a long xc ski this morning! I cannot yet bring myself to get to the gym to ride or swim!
2011-01-01 6:39 PM
in reply to: #3271530

User image

Expert

tricrazy - 2011-01-01 6:50 PM So I spent the day with one of my 3 year olds at the ER today.  Lots of fun and a great way to start off the new year!  Let's hope the rest of the year goes better than it began!!!

Oh no!  I hope they are OK! 

2011-01-01 6:47 PM

User image

New user

Madison
Hey all!  I'm so excited!  I had encouraged my friend out in PA, who isn't a fitness enthusiast but aspiring one, to start training to do triathlons with me.  He agreed and is starting in a week officially.

We talked about how cool it would be if we could do a race together.  I thought this would be good motivation for us, and more him, to stick with it.  So we decided to register for the NorthEast Triathlon in Maryland in August!  So I'm either going to drive the 15 hours and bring my bike (that I don't have yet lol) or Fly out there and rent a bike.

I'm so excited to be able to do one together (just a Sprint) and that this will keep us motivated for sure!

Anyone have experience going some place else for a triathlon and renting a bike?
2011-01-01 8:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
I did my very first tri in in Clermont, Florida - sprint distance- with a rented bike. It worked out perfectly as we were on vacation, and it was the only way I could do the tri.  I did ride the rented bike several times the week before.  Living in a big Iron Man town, I wanted to do the first one where no one would know me Smile. I would suggest it. Why not? Of course, if the drive is feasible for you and you have the rack, you may want your own.

2011-01-01 11:14 PM

Happy New Year to you all!! Been sick last three days so my only exercise for now is coughing. I love running, biking and swimming. The only thing is that I'm a little bit nervous of the traffic when I bike. I've A garmin forerunner 405 but I don't use the heart monitor because I lost the strap somewhere in my house. I don't have any schedule now but I'm working on it. Nice to know that we share the post pregnancy craziness Rachel. It is very interesting to see how you are training.....
2011-01-02 10:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Sneaked in a 4.5 mile run this morning between tending to stomach flu son and 10 am Mass.  It was very icy and I'm very glad I didn't fall. Sun is shining brightly, I'm now having my coffee and plotting out my day. Ribs in the oven with a homemade sauce concoction. Hoping to get back outside into the sun with the dog or my other son, but much work to do inside to restore the house from holiday chaos! Planning to get on the bike in the am and start the binder's 5 week Base Plan.

One of my new year's goals- 100 sessions of yoga between now and the end of 2011. I really like the dvd I have, and a new hot yoga place is opening in town--I feel it could only benefit my fitness and overall sanity!

Happy Sunday!
2011-01-02 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3269038

Hey I am a few days late in replying to question of the day...lol

anyway..I enjoy swimming the most. Just because I am comfortable with the pool and the environment. And I'm a pretty good swimmer.

I so far hate the biking b/c I just haven't done much biking for exercise. I did buy my friends road bike last year so I will hopefully like that.

Running is inbetween.

Nikki

2011-01-02 11:12 AM
in reply to: #3269038

Hey I am a few days late in replying to question of the day...lol

anyway..I enjoy swimming the most. Just because I am comfortable with the pool and the environment. And I'm a pretty good swimmer.

I so far hate the biking b/c I just haven't done much biking for exercise. I did buy my friends road bike last year so I will hopefully like that.

Running is inbetween.

Nikki
2011-01-02 1:15 PM

User image

Expert

Hi All!  Hope you are enjoying the weekend and recovering from New Year's Eve.  I'm still coughing today but I want to do something so I think I'll do a strength workout and maybe some bike.  I've been cooking like crazy today- I'm experimenting with sourdough bread, so that's rising, and I prepped and/or  cooked a whole bunch of vegetables and some chicken so I'll have healthy food to start the year.  I'm planning to "eat clean" more, especially as I try to "return" the 5 or so pounds I picked up in the last few weeks!  I have been trying to think of a recipe- the problem is that I don't usually cook from recipes (and when I do I rarely follow them completely).  I make simple food but try to add flavor from herbs and spices.   I also have one very picky child, so I tend to have at least 2 things he will eat (a starch like bread, and a salad- he likes caesar).  Besides that we roast or grill, or sometimes braise.  We've started sourcing most of our meat locally- we have a 1/2 a beef, 1/2 hog, a lamb (and another one coming), and various whole chickens, so I've had to learn to cook more than grilled chicken breasts!  We are having rotisserie chicken tonight (we have an attachment for our grill), with artichokes, roasted potatoes, sourdough bread, and caesar salad.  And I promised the boys brownies so we'll make those today too- fortunately they aren't something I can't resist!   

2011-01-02 1:55 PM
in reply to: #3272542

User image

New user

Madison
momandmd - 2011-01-02 1:15 PM

Hi All!  Hope you are enjoying the weekend and recovering from New Year's Eve.  I'm still coughing today but I want to do something so I think I'll do a strength workout and maybe some bike.  I've been cooking like crazy today- I'm experimenting with sourdough bread, so that's rising, and I prepped and/or  cooked a whole bunch of vegetables and some chicken so I'll have healthy food to start the year.  I'm planning to "eat clean" more, especially as I try to "return" the 5 or so pounds I picked up in the last few weeks!  I have been trying to think of a recipe- the problem is that I don't usually cook from recipes (and when I do I rarely follow them completely).  I make simple food but try to add flavor from herbs and spices.   I also have one very picky child, so I tend to have at least 2 things he will eat (a starch like bread, and a salad- he likes caesar).  Besides that we roast or grill, or sometimes braise.  We've started sourcing most of our meat locally- we have a 1/2 a beef, 1/2 hog, a lamb (and another one coming), and various whole chickens, so I've had to learn to cook more than grilled chicken breasts!  We are having rotisserie chicken tonight (we have an attachment for our grill), with artichokes, roasted potatoes, sourdough bread, and caesar salad.  And I promised the boys brownies so we'll make those today too- fortunately they aren't something I can't resist!   

Yumm!  that sounds delicious!  I try to eat relatively clean too.  I am a fan of Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet.  The recipes are simple and delicious and the kids like them.  I find I feel better when I'm eating clean too
2011-01-02 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3272590

User image

Expert

Me too!  She has some good family recipes and plans in the newest book (and I think she has a family cookbook too).  I also love Clean Eating magazine- just picked up the new one .

2011-01-02 3:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
I cook those whole chickens up at the beginning of the week- than make them into soup, fried rice, stir fry, pasta, wraps, chicken and dumplings.

I need to check out that name- I've not heard of her and I am always looking for good, new whole food recipes.

Do you have Facebook? "Like" or "Join" Eating Well Magazine. They also have a great cookbook called Eating Well In Season. I saw a great Barley Root Veggie Chowder that's on my radar soon. Ribs and cornbread are my last holiday hurrah......

2011-01-02 4:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Recipe Share- I'm making this up tonight for tomorrow night's dinner...... first time trying it but it looks good. Somehow the fam thought I was going to be serving them along with the ribs and cornbread? Ummmm, no.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2010/12/meatballs-with-peppers-and-pineapple/

Meatballs with Pineapple and Peppers

Ingredients

• 1-¼ pound Ground Beef
  • ½ whole Onion, Diced Very Finely
  • 1 whole Egg
  • ½ cups Panko Bread Crumbs (or Regular Breadcrumbs)
  • 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
  • Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To Taste
  • ½ teaspoons Crushed Red Pepper, More To Taste
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • Canola Oil, For Frying
  • 2 whole Green Bell Peppers, Seeded And Diced Roughly
  • 1-½ cup Fresh Pineapple Chunks
  • 2 cups Beef Stock Or Broth
  • 2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
  • ½ cups Sherry Or White Wine Vinegar
  • ? cups Sugar
  • 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
  • Salt To Taste
  • Crushed Red Pepper, To Taste
  • Extra Beef Stock If Needed

Preparation Instructions

Combine ground beef, diced onion, egg, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and crushed red pepper. Mix with hands until combined. Roll meat mixture into small balls and place on a cookie sheet. Freeze on the pan for 15 minutes to firm.

Mix together beef stock, soy sauce, sherry (or vinegar), sugar, and cornstarch.

Heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Roll meatballs in flour, then fry in two batches until nice and brown, about two minutes per batch. Remove meatballs and set aside on a separate plate.

Pour off oil from pan and return pan to medium high heat. When pan is hot, throw in the chopped green peppers and cook for one minute. Add pineapple to pan and cook for one minute, stirring gently. Pour in stock/soy sauce mixture, then add meatballs. Stir gently to combine and allow to cook and bubble for a few minutes, or until sauce is thickened. Add salt and crushed red peppers to taste. (Hint: this dish is yummy if it’s a little spicy.)

Serve over cooked brown or white rice

2011-01-02 4:38 PM

Master
Charlotte, NC
I love Ree Drummond!
2011-01-02 4:45 PM
in reply to: #3272542

User image

Elite
far northern CA

momandmd - 2011-01-02 11:15 AM

We have chickens so we get fresh eggs every day.  My in-laws raise meat chickens, turkeys, and meat goats.  We share those since we help with slaughtering.  I'd like to get some milk goats.  We need to fence an area where goats would not be able to escape.  I think it's important for children to know where their food comes from.

2011-01-02 4:47 PM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

I went on a 39 mile bike ride today in the glorious, sunny, 55*F weather!  The first half was by myself.  The second half with with my friends.  We had a great time!

2011-01-02 5:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY
Sounds like a great ride!!!!!!!!! Jealous! Our thaw weather is leaving us in neither summer nor winter! Bad middle ground- icy and drippy!

2011-01-02 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3272833

User image

Elite
far northern CA

aquinn - 2011-01-02 3:00 PM Sounds like a great ride!!!!!!!!! Jealous! Our thaw weather is leaving us in neither summer nor winter! Bad middle ground- icy and drippy!

We have been pounded by an incredible amount of rain lately.  It was nice to see the sun!

2011-01-03 9:09 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Good morning ladies!!!!  What are your active plans today?

I will be swimming and going to yoga this morning and then teaching Spinning tonight.

2011-01-03 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3273796

New user

happy new year! 
I did a short bike (20 min) and run (20 min) at the gym this morning. But I just ordered the binder of cycling workouts that was recommended to help break up the monotony of indoor riding (I usually stop because of boredom). I can't wait to try them! I also would love spinning classes but all the classes are during the day when I'm at work. Have a good day!
2011-01-03 9:43 AM

User image

Expert

Hi!

I'm feeling a little better today- I think I'll try for a half-hour bike on the trainer tonight.  My husband's in class so I'll have to plan it around the evening schlepfest .  Right now I'm back at work trying to pretend I don't have a ton of stuff to get done!  I'm thinking I should try to fit in a little yoga routine too- I like yoga and have taken some classes in power vinyasa, but it's really hard to get to the classes.  I learned a little routine from one of our local triathlete/yoga instructors (yes, there is one), and I want to do that a few times a week, even if it's only 10-15 minutes long. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » owl_girl's Mentor Group for Mommies - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14