of 17

2011-02-08 9:06 AM
in reply to: #3258876

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group - CLOSED

Good Morning!

Well it is back to the real world for me with a sick child at home from school today. Okay, So Thursday night went to NFL Experience after dark which was awesome, got out after midnight and it was snowing hard. Oh forgot to mention the cab drivers were on strike. So we walked a mile in the snow, they got 7 inches that night. I did go to the gym on Friday. Can you believe there was a line to workout. I guess that is what happens when it snows! Rode the bike for an hour I think my pace was 3:26 but I could be wrong.I tried to ride the bike in a standing position as much as possible. Did core work Saturday and that was it. Although we did walk alot but I need to get back into the swing of things. Super Bowl was awesome rooted for the Packers because Aaron Rodgers and Donald Driver's 1st time going. If the Buccaneer's are not there then that is how I like to pick teams.I will upload some pic's of the Super Bowl if y'all would like. Just signed up for the 2nd Annual Bartow Blarney Sprint Tri(very excited). Workout's for the week hope to include (per my son's cold): Swimming, Riding, Boot Camp, and Personal Training.
Hope everyone had a Great Weekend too!!!

2011-02-08 9:18 AM
in reply to: #3344378

User image

Good Morning group,

The storm last week really threw off my training, at least the running part.  I was able to get a swim in last week and a couple of trainer rides, not to mention digging myself and a couple of neighbors out.

Saturday I had a good trainer ride 1:31, working in some cadence intrevals.

I am back on schedule this week.  I was able to get in my short run this morning.

Another strom is rolling in tonight but I don't think it will hinder the training much.

Happy training,
Brian
2011-02-08 8:37 PM

Hey Gang,

Roy got on me earlier today (in a good way) and prompted me to update what's going on.  Sorry I've been quiet -- to be honest, I'm not used to this form of communication!  Anyway, training is going okay.  I'm following a duathlon trining plan from BT and I'm pretty good about hitting 80 - 90% of the scheduled workouts, usually early in the morning when the family is sleeping.  I like the plan, but I don't seem to be getting any faster and that's a little frustrating.   Hopefully, I'll get to the end of the training cycle, run my second Beaches Fine Art Series (BFAS) Nocatee Duathlon here in Jacksonville on 10 April and do a lot better than last year.  We'll see...

I need some advice from you avid triathletes.  My wife and I have decided to turn our guest room into a small home gym.  Nobody was visiting us, so we sold the bedroom furnitre last weekend.  Now we need to find a decent treadmill and home gym weight machine.  I'm thinking about buying used since so many of those items are given as gifts and end up not being used at all.  If any of you have experience or recommendations, please let me know. 

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

2011-02-08 8:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Hi,
Got a run in tonight and I was amazed at my time! I did 3.15 miles in 28:17 8:57 min/mile. So excited for myself I am usually a 9:35-10:00 min/mile. Just wanted to toot my on horn! Good night!
2011-02-09 8:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Greetings, good to hear from you all. This is short I'm about to leave for the day to attend an conference. Anyway Courtney we need Super Bowl pictures, will remind of why Florida is the place for me. My wife is from Ft. Worth, I used  to live there. And  its the area where my dads side of the family was raised very near where the Stadium is built.

Mike, I can add some on treadmills later don't have much time today. Maybe tonight.

Have a great day talk to you later.

2011-02-09 9:04 AM

User image

Arnold, MD

Hi Everyone,

I have been MIA this past week. I think the saying is "Life gets in the way".... anyway.

My schedule w/work and my daughter this past week and this week is / has been a serious juggling act...

I bailed on my 10 mile run this past Saturday with my running group... it was cold and misting out. I got called out by some of the hard core members, but Sunday was beautiful... I ran from the base of the Naval Academy bridge in Annapolis up through a local bike/running trail - about 5 miles - I was really loving it because the sun was shining temp was about 45 - no wind... 5 miles was supposed to be the turnaround point for me to head back but I got a blister in between my toes. I am pretty sure the reason is due to the running sneakers I was wearing... (my regular running sneakers are in the back of my vehicle which has been in the repair shop since last monday .... yup - last monday - no heat and they cant figure out why....) - So I stopped @ 5 miles and called my wife for a pickup/rescue

I tried not to beat myself up about not finishing 10 miles on Sunday, but it was one of the nicest weekend days that we have had in a while which was a bummer.

Last night I had a great swim workout with my masters swimming team. Check it out.

Warmup - 1000 yards total
Broken Into:
400 - Swim (freestyle)
300 - Drill (50 drill / 50 swim - repeat until 300)
200 - kick w/fins
100 - pull

Main Set: 1400 Yards Total
(25's are drill's - followed by 200 yard pulls - do the 6 X 25's, followed by the 200 pulls - and repeat that 4 times)

6 X 25's:
Drills Were:
Advanced doggy paddle (rest 10 after each 25)
Dolphin Kick on Back (rest 10 after each 25)
Freestyle Overkick (on 30s per 25)
Freestyle Breathing Drill - aim for 3 breaths max per 25 yards (rest 10 after each 25)
200 Pull @ Base Interval (1:40 seconds per 100 yards)

Speed Work: 600 Yards

8 - 75's (broken into 2 sets of 4 X 75)
1 X 75 @ 1:25
1 X 75 @ 1:20
1 X 75 @ 1:15
1 X 75 @ 1:10

Cooldown: 100 Yards Easy

Workout Total: 3100 Yards

------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sore at all today - just a bit tired.

I am going to try and get 1 more run and swim workout in before the weekend.

This weekend I have 2 running events planned

1) Saturday - 5K Valentines Day Race w/Local Running Club
2) Sunday 12 Mile long run (will be the longest run I have done in training)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoys the rest of the week.

I would love to see some of the super bowl pictures.

2011-02-10 11:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Nice looking workout Vin, I like. Hopefully the cold is going to let up for those of you in a more northern climate and you can get back to your plan. Mike is your hitting 80-90% of the plan then I think your about right on the money when you have regular life to attend to. When I picked my first HIM plan, that was how I judged which plan I was going to follow. It's just reality and it's OK. Because we're going to get to the finish line. Keep it up.

You might do a search on treadmills on BT I'm sure there is some good info. But in doing some research before, also have considered doing it. You want to try and get at least a 3-3.5hp. Most of the home style treadmills are 3ish at the top end and you'll find alot of 2-2.5hp motors. Treadmills at the gyms where heavy use is going to take place are 5hp, and you'll notice that the platforms are pretty wide and at least 60inch long. You might try to find a used equipment dealer who has some commercial grade equipment. And if you don't feel like your going to overuse the treadmill you can probably get by with one of the better quality units at a Sports Authority, Dicks etc.

2011-02-10 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hey all, sorry been out sick with whatever is going around! Turned out to now be flu, but just a nasty head and chest infection. 3 days into the meds', and Ive gotten some light running in, but still waiting to be 100%, hopefully I'll be able to jump on a ride this weekend!!

cmb
2011-02-11 10:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg

Hi Everyone,

Okay I uploaded some pics of the Super Bowl, will do more soon. Been a crazy week, I finally got back in the pool and swam 100 yds without stopping and I didn't feel like I was gonna die.Lol! Did a total of 1000 yds. Baby steps. Waiting for the coach at the Y to return my call for some swim coaching. OMG Vin your swim workout puts me to shame! Anyway, I am gonna head out to watch the Chilly Willy Dualathon Sunday at Ft. Desoto and will get in a run either Sat or Sun depending on how cooperative the toddler is in the jogging stroller. Hope everyone has a productive weekend, Courtney

2011-02-11 11:17 PM
in reply to: #3346621

User image

Evening group,

Finally back on schedule after the winter storms, I was able to complete all of my training goals, but it seemed like a week of mental toughness practice with trainer rides and my first run on a treadmill (oof!). 
I scoped out my regular riding route on the way home and it is clear of snow and ice, can't wait to get out of the garage and on the road tomorrow.

Bomber swim workout Vin!

What is a good resource for swim workouts?  I think I would like a little more structure.

Gear question:

Do you guys/gals leave your shoes attached to the bike for a smoother T1?
If so, is there a insider trick to keeping your shoes upright? So when you jump on you can get a few revolutions to gain some speed and get your feet in without hitting the upside-down shoes on the ground.

Have a good weekend,
Brian
2011-02-12 10:10 AM

Good morning all,

I'd really like to hear your answers to Brian's question about leaving bike shoes clipped in for T1.  I tried it at home and really struggled.  Also -- does that inherently mean you ride with no socks?  If so, do you also run with no socks?

Looking forward to reading your responses!
Mike

2011-02-13 5:42 AM
in reply to: #3351510

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

bjflynn - 2011-02-12 12:17 AM Evening group,

Bomber swim workout Vin!

What is a good resource for swim workouts?  I think I would like a little more structure.

Gear question:

Do you guys/gals leave your shoes attached to the bike for a smoother T1?
If so, is there a insider trick to keeping your shoes upright? So when you jump on you can get a few revolutions to gain some speed and get your feet in without hitting the upside-down shoes on the ground.

Have a good weekend,
Brian

Great topic, so I"ll add my experiences and thoughts.

It is purely up to the athlete if they want to do this in T1, but once you get the hang of it is faster. Cycling shoes are not easy to run in and if fact kind of awkward. So if running out of T1 you can always run faster barefooted(next item) mount and get going provided you have practiced and comfortable doing this. I ride sockless almost all year round, exceptions cold weather then I'll wear socks and have toe covers in needed. If you are going to wear sock with your shoes thats OK you'll be a step ahead of T2 if you run with socks. If your transition are is on soft ground some pedal/cleat systems don't like debris/mud getting in the cleat which may prevent getting clipped in, so another thought. Hard surfaces just wear the cleat down quicker and you can damage the cleat.

Considerations on being clipped in or not out of T1, evaluate the initial 1/4mile of the ride, if it is flat then you'll not lose any momemtum getting clipped in, if you have a hill immediately upon leaving T1 then it is most likely better to not have the shoes on the bike but have them on, you can clipped in earlier and have better leverage for the climb. Clermont is a good example in my area on having a hill very quickly upon leaving T1 and I've made that mistake before.

You can use rubber bands to hold your mount side shoe level for entry, then the rubber band will break, they also make a little device that attaches to the bike. The shoe rests on it and once your foot in on or in the shoes it releases. You will also want to have your mount side shoe in the horizontal/9 oclock position for ease of mounting.

Tri shoes vs. road shoes, they are called that for a reason. Tri shoes have a much easier entry/removal about them, usually only one main strap to contend with and open wider for the foot to enter. A road shoe is usually a bit more conforming to the foot and not as easy to get into. But you can use them, I've worn road shoes up to this point knowing I was missing out on this point. I've got tri-shoes now and it is much simpler to get in and out of the shoe when mounting and dismounting the bike.

Dismounting with the shoes still attached to the bike, is the way to go. Like T1 you are faster running barefooted. But be aware that this will take some practice. You should get out of your shoes well in advance of the dismount line and your pedaling with your feet on top of your shoes. Once you dismount either doing the flying(at what ever speed you choose) dismount or coming to a stop and dismounting one of your cranks will be in the bottom position and often times your shoes because the pedal rotates, the shoe will bind into the ground and can interupt your initial run into transition. I've seen some hard crashes from guys doing the flying dismount and the shoes grabs and down they go. Also make sure your give yourself clearance on that side on those initial first steps, you can also catch a heal on your shoe/pedal on that side.

Going sockless, I have always done the bike sockless, then put on socks to run. It's about time. I've have improved my transition times significantly by not wearing socks for any distance up to the half iron distance. I'll wear socks for that distance. You should condition your feet for going sockless prior to an event. Start doing some of your runs sockless and build up your miles running without. Don't just decide one day I'm going to do X mile run and then find your getting blisters and your away from the car or home. You still have to get back.

So this is kind of how it works.

2011-02-13 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Since I joined the group I had yet to post anything. Figured I would let you know how things are going. I have been focusing a lot on the swim. Been going to the pool Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings before work for a 30 minute workout. Generally between 800-1000 yards each time. Slowly getting better with breathing and form. As for the bike, went on my longest ride ever yesterday with a friend. Total of 19.2 miles averaging 14 mph. It was pretty windy, but I felt good. Planning for another ride this afternoon.For running, I had a couple of races the past 2 weekends. On Jan 29 it was the NHL All-Star 5K. That was a fun event. On Feb 5 I did the Krispy Kreme Challenge. I know, not the healthiest of events, but it was a lot of fun. For those who do not know, this is run 2.25 miles, eat a dozen donuts, run 2.25 miles back. Took me 1:02.00 to complete it. I have updates in my blog you can access from my signature on both events.Have a great day!
2011-02-13 6:40 PM
in reply to: #3352516

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hi Brett, good to hear from you. Keep us updated on your training. Question, I realize that Krispy Kreme's can be a little smaller than others but how do you eat a dozen. WOW. What's your secret?

2011-02-14 8:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Roy,No secret at all. I had 2.25 miles to think about my strategy to eat them. I started with 1 donut, then I took 2 donuts and smashed them together. From there, I smashed 3 at a time. If they would have been hot, would have been much easier. Hard for them to be hot with 7,500 dozen.On the training side, went for a 12.5 mile bike on Sunday and an 1,100 yard swim this morning.
2011-02-14 10:11 AM

User image

Arnold, MD
Hey All -

I bailed on my Saturday running group's 5K (my calf was still really tight from the bad cramp I had swimming last Thursday) but I got in a good 10 mile run Sunday... stopped only 3 times, 2 water/stretch stops and 1 stretch stop @ the turnaround.

For the transition / bike / shoes on question... also try this

1) When you are starting off, put your bike gear in the large ring
2) When you are dismounting, put your bike gear in the large ring as well

See if that helps keep the shoes off the ground.....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week I am taking it easy with the training - 1 swim this week, and 1 run. On Thursday night I am heading to upstate NY for a ski weekend with friends, and my brother in laws - guys ski weekend - Cant wait.

2011-02-14 10:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
I have a question for the group on a bike rack for a car.  I have a Saturn Outlook and there is no trailer hitch.

I wanted to see what recommendations you have for a bike rack that would fit my car on the back lift gate?
2011-02-14 7:20 PM

User image

Arnold, MD
For a car rack recomendation.... Call the guys at car racks direct.... They are pretty solid about answering questions about all types of rack fits..... And they offer the big three manufactrers.....
2011-02-15 12:37 PM
in reply to: #3352496

User image

Thanks for the pedal and shoe tips. 

I played around with rubber band placement and which side I feel more comfortable mounting from, last night.  I think, after some practice, I will be able to make this work.

Riding without socks should not be to big of problem, because your feet should not be moving around in your shoes to create raw spots. Right?

thanks again.

Training:  This is my recovery week.  I am fighting a bit of a head cold, but I think I am turning the corrner.  Nice easy run this morning and plan on getting in a quick swim this afternoon.

Have a good week

Edited by bjflynn 2011-02-15 1:22 PM
2011-02-16 5:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Ok,
Went to the Chilly Willy Dualthon on Sunday to cheer on my friend, she finished in 1:24:00. 3.1 mile run/ 10 mile bike/ 3.1 mile run. Yeah I think after the bike I would be like you want me to run again and the same route(not)!!! I mean I like running but I need a change of scenery. Anyway, did a 2 mile run Sunday because I started getting a massive headache and realized that I was probably dehydrated since I drank so much coffee trying to stay warm that morning. Stupid me!  I had a nice boot camp work out monday night, yes we didn't go out to dinner for V-day, I instead made 3-bean turkey chili and Gluten Free Cornbread(believe me you can't tell the difference). So Tueday I started with my Swim Lessons at the Y. She watch my kick and my stroke said that both were really good, I just need to work on Bilateral breathing and my endurance. Last week I swam 100 yards without stopping, yesterday I did 200 yards, so I know I can be at 400 yards by my first tri in March. Tis Sunday I am riding in the Slodier Ride which benefits Wounded Warriors, it is a 28.3 mile ride around South Tampa and Macdill Airforce Base. Should be beautiful weather and a nice ride. Have a great day, Courtney
2011-02-16 9:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

A Happy Wednesday to you all, didn't get much done yesterday but that the way it is at times. Did manage to get a little trainer ride in last night.

Brian, no socks should not have any impact on your ride. Now the decision is whether your going to run sockless. That will take a little foot conditioning to be sure there will be no issues.

As Courtney described her friends duathlon last weekend. They are not easy and probably get enough recognition/respect as compared to traditional triathlon. Your using your legs the entire time, and pacing is really important so that last run segment goes well. It's been a while since I've done one, but in reality all triathletes should probably do one a year or so its good practice.

I hope training is going well, good weather is for all is coming and that first event of the year is not to far off. YEA!!!!!!

2011-02-17 7:17 AM

User image

Veteran
Saint Petersburg
Okay so I need to get a Transition bag. Any suggestions as to what I should look for? I read some reviews but they really don't say what is a necessity or not. Thanks!
2011-02-17 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3359404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Courtney when you go to your first event, you are going to see all sorts of "bags" used as transition bags. I've got a zoot bag that my daughter won I've used it a few times, and then there is another bag that I got at a golf tournament. I use it most of the time, it has a shoe compartment underneath and all of the other items that I take fit into it nicely. So I guess what I'm saying is you really don't need a specific bag, but a bag that suits your needs and price.

2011-02-18 7:06 AM

Good morning all,

I had a solid but short run this morning and it'll be the end of training for a few days.  I'm headed to Colorado this morning to meet up with my 20 year old son and go skiing at Winter Park.  He's an Air Force Academy cadet and he gets the weekend off, so we're going to make the most of it.  As a result, I will NOT be working out until after the ski trip and follow-on two day business trip.

FWIW -- I've done a couple Duathlons and they can be a real challenge, especially the second run leg.  I'm signed up for another one in April.  I hope the whole preparation and race will be good training since I need help with the bike portion of the races.  We'll see if it pays off...

Have a great weekend of training.

Mike

2011-02-18 8:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Key West, Florida
Hey all,

Had a pretty great workout week so far! Been nice to get out and do my workouts after getting over this cold, almost 2 weeks, but what can you do!

Looking forward to the warm weather here in FL this weekend, going to get some miles in on the bike!

Whats is everyone's workout plans for this weekend?

cmb
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 17