BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-01-10 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3290081

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!
Do we have a specific date in June for our MMM meeting / Triathlon at Wilsons house? I'd REALLY like to go but like (probably) most others I need to make some scheduling and pocketbook adjustments...

2011-01-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: #3290944

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Tammy the date is June 18th. it's a Saturday, and of course if we go together we can split the costs (as well as having FANTABULOUS girlie conversations for hours and hours... we can talk about Wilson's, umm, Moose Knuckle??

Here's a link, there is info, but it is from 2010, but you can get an idea:

http://www.tuxbro.com/entry-info/sprint-triathlon/sprint-tri-entry-info.html
2011-01-10 5:51 PM
in reply to: #3290937

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
TTucker - 2011-01-10 5:38 PM Shawn,

You are forgiven....THIS TIME...Your punishment is 5 miles of running followed by 15 miles of biking.... Now go forth and SBR!!

Don't you have an old tank to fix, play with or lay under or something?  Tongue out

Fine fine fine - I'm off to the gym.  It's been several months so I forgot how tight spandex can be...or maybe that's just the holiday weight pushing on through.  Not really a problem under my shorts but it will be fun when I hit the pool tomorrow.  Cry
2011-01-10 5:53 PM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Mistress Hilde has threatened and I have obeyed.  Everyone should be added to my friends list now. 
2011-01-10 6:17 PM
in reply to: #3291061

User image

Veteran

HMPH...that's not very nice Shawn! I suppose I could find a tank to lay under.....as long as it isn't moving it wouldn't hurt!

Can't say the same about you though headed to the pool tomorrow w/o any spandex to cover your extra fluff!! Tongue out LMAO!!
That might hurt.....

I'm off to the pool tomorrow too and cannot say that I am looking forward to it. I have been watching this Total Immersion information though and it makes sense. Going to try some of the drills and see if I can get my body to cooperate enough to make it worth my while. Have any of ya'll seen/heard of it?

2011-01-10 6:50 PM
in reply to: #3291105

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
I think quite a few triathletes have followed the TI program.  I think one of our mentees went to a clinic, maybe the other Tammy?  I forget who it was, but hopefully they'll see your post and jump in!

2011-01-10 7:30 PM
in reply to: #3291105

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
TTucker - 2011-01-10 7:17 PM

HMPH...that's not very nice Shawn! I suppose I could find a tank to lay under.....as long as it isn't moving it wouldn't hurt!

Can't say the same about you though headed to the pool tomorrow w/o any spandex to cover your extra fluff!! Tongue out LMAO!!
That might hurt.....

I'm off to the pool tomorrow too and cannot say that I am looking forward to it. I have been watching this Total Immersion information though and it makes sense. Going to try some of the drills and see if I can get my body to cooperate enough to make it worth my while. Have any of ya'll seen/heard of it?

Hee hee - we'll have to compare notes after our swims then.  I just hope no one yells out "Thar she blows - the great white whale!" as I'm swimming.  Well, no one other than my wife who marvels at how pasty white I get in the winter. 
2011-01-10 8:34 PM
in reply to: #3288701

User image

Regular
Wilson, I laughed so hard at your pic, I peed on myselfLaughing
2011-01-10 9:37 PM

User image

Regular

How Training for Triathlons Helped Me Build a Snowman

We’re snowed in today and I realized that I’d never built a snowman. Really? I grew up in NYC, went to college in Central NY, lived in Philly for the winter of ’93, lived in Alaska for 3 years and never built a snowman?  Today was going to be the day!

#1 You need a good base.  Forget about trying to complete a tri without proper training unless you’re one of those gifted athletes.  You need a good base for the snowman or he’ll topple over.

#2 Rome wasn’t built in day.  You have to train consistently to see results. I had to fetch my snow one bucket at a time and after a few hours, I had something to show for it.

#3 Make due with what you have.  I don’t have a fancy road bike yet but I have a hybrid bike. We left all of our winter stuff with various families in AK. We never thought we’d need it in GA.  I used the girls summer shovels and pails to get the job done.

#4 Expect the unexpected and work through it.  Who knew that it takes talent to drink while on a moving bike without falling!  I’m still working on this one since running while dehydrated was not cool last season.  I had to thaw out a few times not because my hands or feet froze but because my arse froze.

#5 Don’t discount your small accomplishments because over time, they add up to something much greater.  Swimming is tough for me, not being a natural dolphin like Hilde :-).  Each lap in the pool got me closer to finally being able to work through my fear of being in open water.  That was huge for me.  My 6 year old was “helping” me with her small pail.  I turned around and she had filled a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with snow and was dragging it toward me!  She only weighs 45 lbs!  She was quite helpful.

#6 Step back, assess and correct your course if necessary.  Trail and error led me to change my swim goals, my workout times, my workout days, in order to juggle my full-time job, being a wife and mother.  After getting my snow man structure erected, he looked like the Leaning Tower of Piza so I had to make adjustments to get him looking erect.

#7 Accept your mistakes, keep your cool and be kind to yourself.  It’s very easy to get frustrated and discouraged about not progressing as rapidly as I’d like to,  so I remember from whence I came and rejoice in what I’ve accomplished.  My biggest mistakes have been my best teachers.  My snowman almost needed a facial reconstruction because I took off too much snow.  I stopped for a minute, got a new game plan, got the face and head stable again, and all was well with the world.

#8 Have fun! What’s the point of training if you don’t enjoy it.  It’s not always about achieving a PR. Race day comes and goes much faster than the time it took to get there.  Enjoy the journey.  Through the construction of my snowman, I ran around chasing my daughters, rolled them down the hill, we and the neighborhood kids went sledding down the hill, threw snowballs, ate white snow and built a fort.  I would have missed all the fun if I’d concentrated only on the endgame.

I can't figure out how to post the picture of my snowman, named Frosty, by my 6-year-old.

2011-01-11 5:32 AM
in reply to: #3291497

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
dajotkjo - 2011-01-10 10:37 PM

How Training for Triathlons Helped Me Build a Snowman

We’re snowed in today and I realized that I’d never built a snowman. Really? I grew up in NYC, went to college in Central NY, lived in Philly for the winter of ’93, lived in Alaska for 3 years and never built a snowman?  Today was going to be the day!

#1 You need a good base.  Forget about trying to complete a tri without proper training unless you’re one of those gifted athletes.  You need a good base for the snowman or he’ll topple over.

#2 Rome wasn’t built in day.  You have to train consistently to see results. I had to fetch my snow one bucket at a time and after a few hours, I had something to show for it.

#3 Make due with what you have.  I don’t have a fancy road bike yet but I have a hybrid bike. We left all of our winter stuff with various families in AK. We never thought we’d need it in GA.  I used the girls summer shovels and pails to get the job done.

#4 Expect the unexpected and work through it.  Who knew that it takes talent to drink while on a moving bike without falling!  I’m still working on this one since running while dehydrated was not cool last season.  I had to thaw out a few times not because my hands or feet froze but because my arse froze.

#5 Don’t discount your small accomplishments because over time, they add up to something much greater.  Swimming is tough for me, not being a natural dolphin like Hilde :-).  Each lap in the pool got me closer to finally being able to work through my fear of being in open water.  That was huge for me.  My 6 year old was “helping” me with her small pail.  I turned around and she had filled a 5 gallon Home Depot bucket with snow and was dragging it toward me!  She only weighs 45 lbs!  She was quite helpful.

#6 Step back, assess and correct your course if necessary.  Trail and error led me to change my swim goals, my workout times, my workout days, in order to juggle my full-time job, being a wife and mother.  After getting my snow man structure erected, he looked like the Leaning Tower of Piza so I had to make adjustments to get him looking erect.

#7 Accept your mistakes, keep your cool and be kind to yourself.  It’s very easy to get frustrated and discouraged about not progressing as rapidly as I’d like to,  so I remember from whence I came and rejoice in what I’ve accomplished.  My biggest mistakes have been my best teachers.  My snowman almost needed a facial reconstruction because I took off too much snow.  I stopped for a minute, got a new game plan, got the face and head stable again, and all was well with the world.

#8 Have fun! What’s the point of training if you don’t enjoy it.  It’s not always about achieving a PR. Race day comes and goes much faster than the time it took to get there.  Enjoy the journey.  Through the construction of my snowman, I ran around chasing my daughters, rolled them down the hill, we and the neighborhood kids went sledding down the hill, threw snowballs, ate white snow and built a fort.  I would have missed all the fun if I’d concentrated only on the endgame.

I can't figure out how to post the picture of my snowman, named Frosty, by my 6-year-old.

I like this - well done!!
2011-01-11 7:19 AM

User image

Regular
Denise, the snowman comparison was very nicely put.

2011-01-11 12:02 PM

User image

Expert
LOVE the snowman imagery, Denise! Do post pics whenever you can!

I'm admiring the snow as it falls outside here...
2011-01-11 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3291350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tammy, I took a weekend TI workshop last summer. It was great, but it went only so far. It made me more efficient, not faster. I like most of it, but disagree with how they teach pulling (actually NOT pulling). Definitely worthwhile to try the drills, though.
2011-01-11 5:10 PM
in reply to: #3293354

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Denise, LOVE your snowman story, all too true!  Hope you can post pics....
2011-01-11 5:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Awesome snowman story We're slated for 8-12 inches tomorrow so it will be my turn for showman making with the kiddo's tomorrow

Had a good workout today but, my hip is still aggravating me :humph: I wish it would just "shut up" already. It's not really painful (except when I first get up to walk after sitting for a while) just tight and sore. Nothing I seem to do makes it any worse (other than one particular type of squats that I just avoid doing) and nothing seems to make it better. I'm reluctant to go to the doctor because they're going to want to 1)take an x-ray (and I know there is no fracture!) - waste of time, and 2)tell me to take Advil and go to PT which I am already doing. I keep thinking I can wait it out but it's getting really draining!

On a better note my throat is about 90% improved and SO FAR no one else here has gotten sick

2011-01-11 8:03 PM
in reply to: #3293447

User image

Regular
PTWykes - 2011-01-11 6:48 PM Awesome snowman story We're slated for 8-12 inches tomorrow so it will be my turn for showman making with the kiddo's tomorrow

Had a good workout today but, my hip is still aggravating me :humph: I wish it would just "shut up" already. It's not really painful (except when I first get up to walk after sitting for a while) just tight and sore. Nothing I seem to do makes it any worse (other than one particular type of squats that I just avoid doing) and nothing seems to make it better. I'm reluctant to go to the doctor because they're going to want to 1)take an x-ray (and I know there is no fracture!) - waste of time, and 2)tell me to take Advil and go to PT which I am already doing. I keep thinking I can wait it out but it's getting really draining!

On a better note my throat is about 90% improved and SO FAR no one else here has gotten sick

Marsha,

My husband used to have pain in his left SI joint.  The doc and chiropractor could not get him pain free.  We found this phenomenal masseuse with AWESOME hands.  She goes deep in his groin along the illeopsoas anteriorly and does her magic along the posterior muscles which takes care of it for a few months.  Apparently his hips aren't horizontal - God made him funny :-)

2011-01-11 10:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just got home after a very loooong and very irritating day (imagine all the annoyances you put up with every time you fly, multiply that times 5 flights, and that was my day). My girl spent the evening yesterday at the urgent care center (it didn't occur to daddy to do something about the cough and fever during office hours, of course!), where she ended up with a diagnosis of strep throat. I got home just in time to tuck her in to bed, and I will likely be gone again tomorrow before she gets up :-(

On a lighter note, here's a handy-dandy little clock app you all need to have on your desktop:

http://lovedbdb.com/nudemenClock/index2.html

2011-01-12 9:57 AM
in reply to: #3293835

User image

Veteran
Southern Maryland
tstl - 2011-01-11 11:34 PM Just got home after a very loooong and very irritating day (imagine all the annoyances you put up with every time you fly, multiply that times 5 flights, and that was my day). My girl spent the evening yesterday at the urgent care center (it didn't occur to daddy to do something about the cough and fever during office hours, of course!), where she ended up with a diagnosis of strep throat. I got home just in time to tuck her in to bed, and I will likely be gone again tomorrow before she gets up :-(

On a lighter note, here's a handy-dandy little clock app you all need to have on your desktop:

http://lovedbdb.com/nudemenClock/index2.html

nice clock!

I hear you on the irritating day part.  12 hour shift at the firehouse with an ice/snow storm, and dispatch blew up around rush hour with calls.  then they couldn't send me on the right call, and when i called to get my call times for my paperwork they bitched at me for the botched calls.  hello, when things are crazy like that you have to verify what unit is going to what call, especially when there are multiple calls in a units area.  also, what is it about crappy weather that makes people wiht no real medical need for a hospital suddenly want to go to a hospital via an ambulance? 

also, had a rare call yesterday.  dude got stung by his fish.  some exotic fish with venomous barbs got him in the hand.  had to google that one on my phone on the way to the call. 

feeling better today after my run though...now to start cleaning hte house...mom comes in this weekend so we can go wedding dress shopping (Oye Vey)
2011-01-12 10:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Denise - mmmmmm yeah, a massage sounds good! I know it would hurt while being done but probably feel great afterward.

Tammy - love the clock app!

Jen - good luck with the wedding dress shopping...when's the big day? Sounds like a mess at work the other day!

It is snowing like NUTS here - I'd say we have over 8 inches already and its still coming down like mad. Headed out in a bit for shoveling round 1 with several more to follow I'm sure!

Had a nice workout this morning and am working hard to stay on track with eating despite being stuck in the house all day with the snow.
2011-01-12 10:27 AM
in reply to: #3293354

User image

Veteran
'Turtle' - Yeah, well I'm hoping that speed will come with practice. At this point it is a matter of getting the breathing thing down. That's what FREAKS ME OUT!! Then, once I get the breathing down, figuring out how to breath and swim at the right intervals to prevent my lungs from exploding...Coming in EXACTLY last in my wave because it takes me SO LONG to swim 400's and then having dead dog tired legs because they are doing most of the work - just is NOT working..ya know?!

The TI camps etc I just cannot afford to attend so I have been watching the videos on you tube and hope with repeated watching of the videos and repeated attempts to complete those drills some of the techniques will weedle their way into my brain and eventually it will CLICK.

The swim is my most FRUSTRATING event and training aspect. I can run all day, bike 50 miles (albeit not as fast as some) but when I get in the pool I feel like....someone who is very out of shape and ill made for the water.

I found a number for a swim coach and going to see how much it would cost, even for 2 meetings a month for 30 minutes or an hour, just to COACH me how to breath...

We shall see     
2011-01-12 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI
Tammy -

I am not much of a swimmer either.  Last February I contacted my YMCA and worked with a coach for 4 30 minutes sessions.  Although she wasn't much of a coach she watched me swim and gave me a few good pointers.  Several months later I worked with a REAL coach for a total of 3 lessons.  I feel I had some real breakthroughs after working with him.  Now, it is up to me to do the real work and get better!  Anyway, I would really recommend working with someone a coach or just a friend who can watch you swim and make some suggestions. 

2011-01-12 5:51 PM

User image

Expert
*laughs over the clock app*

I absolutely second (or third) the idea of getting a swim coach to work with you on your stroke if you're concerned about the swim, too-- it's amazing what getting good pointers can do!

Yikes on the snowfall out East and South-- glad to hear you're all doing OK! My sister got completely snowed in, too, so had to work from home. We've had nothing like that here, so I'm out on campus tomorrow to get ready for term, tra la...

Thanks for all the good wishes, everyone-- they seem to have worked. No fractures in my foot! 'Course, now I have to wait to see the sports doc to find out what *is* wrong with it, but at least the water running gear arrived today, so will try that out on Friday in the hopes that it'll help keep my running fitness somewhere above zero. Bring on the dorkiness!
2011-01-12 7:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
(Laughing and thinking Alex just earned herself a nickname: water dork!)X 3 on the swim coaching, Tammy. I think my swim was in the 10th percentile and I wasn't improving on my own. Then I joined a "swimming for triathletes" class and watched my speed steadily improve (best of all, it's only $25/month for a weekly class). It's a small class, so I get lots of pointers. Since you can't see yourself swim, it's really helpful to have someone observe. Maybe just an occasional session, with "homework" to practice on your own would be an economical way to go.Good luck- I know how frustrating it can be. Until very recently, I was always the slowest in the pool, and I still get lapped regularly by octogenarians!Turtle
2011-01-12 7:42 PM
in reply to: #3295939

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Tammy Turtle, LOVE the clock, such itty bitty men (obviously they are NOT as endowed as Wilson!)
2011-01-13 5:59 AM

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Happy Thursday all.  Would you believe that I finally caught up on the thread on the train last night.  Hopefully, I can stay caught up now!

Just a couple of things:

Wilson, just because I seem to do it differently, I thought I'd give you my nutritional angle for sprint races, at least.  Because I sweat so much, I tend go heavier on the drinks than gels to avoid cramping.  I used to use Gu20 but they stopped making it so I need to find a new one.  A bottle of Gu20 when I eat breakfast a couple of hours before the race (all my races are wetsuit races so a little ammunition to warm up of the old suit doesn't hurt either), a powerbar 30 minutes before the race, a bottle of Gu20 on the bike and I'm all set.  I know it's probably too many calories but I've found I do fine with them and I would rather have too many calories then cramp up.

I imagine I will have to start using some gels or something else during my Olympic races this year but need to figure out where and when I want to use them.

I hate jelly beans but I received some at a race and the sports beans aren't horrible.  For what it's worth, I didn't get a sugar rush of any kind when I ate them.  I think they're a mix of sugars, including malto-dextrin so you won't spike and then fall flat but you may want to double check.

Edited by Sulcus 2011-01-13 6:01 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70