BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-14 8:03 AM
in reply to: #3260767

New user

Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - FULL!
I wear the Garmin 405 and I like it for its features.  There are some problems that I have with it though.  Its not waterproof. The touch dial is sometimes affected by sweat coming down my arm.  These are terrible cons, but if you are going to do tris, I would suggest finding a watch that is a multisport watch.  Im looking at the Timex Ironman series right now because it is capable of counting swimming laps as well.  The face is quite large, but if it serves its purpose, I think I will be able to let that slide.

2011-01-14 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3299039

User image

Central Oregon
CliffK110 - 2011-01-14 6:03 AM I wear the Garmin 405 and I like it for its features.  There are some problems that I have with it though.  Its not waterproof. The touch dial is sometimes affected by sweat coming down my arm.  These are terrible cons, but if you are going to do tris, I would suggest finding a watch that is a multisport watch.  Im looking at the Timex Ironman series right now because it is capable of counting swimming laps as well.  The face is quite large, but if it serves its purpose, I think I will be able to let that slide.

That is really good to know about the Garmin.

I don't have a Garmin, myself. I use the Nike Plus attachment for my iPod. I can see my pace at anytime or push the middle button and it will tell you how far you have run and what your current pace is. There are also audible distance indicators, like "half way point" and "400 meters to go" which are nice. And finally, another reason I like my iPod is for the child entertainment factor... on long runs when I had to take the children, they could watch Finding Nemo.
2011-01-14 10:24 AM

Veteran
Well I wish I could chime in on the Garmin talk but its been to cold outside to test the new watch.  I got one of the 310xt watchs from my parents/wife for xmas.  I have been using a simple Polar HR watch, and its good when it works.   They got me the Garmin HR strap that goes with the watch and WOW the garmin HR straps are awesome.    Being able to wear during the swim should be nice, and ive heard the updated software lets the swim be tracked now and then.

If im not mistaken the 310 is the most expensive but seems to have alot of offer a triathlete.  They have a candence meter for the bike, shoe pod for the treadmill, and a few other nice doodads.  Now if I can actually figure out how to use it haha
2011-01-14 12:27 PM
in reply to: #3298726

Thanks!
I didn't think about practicing my nutrition before hand and/or really nutrition at all so I will definitely try this!!

2011-01-14 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3289300

I did take a power nap at work the other day and it did seem to help.  I am going to have to take a certain time each day (yes I am bad at not taking my lunch) and geting a power nap.  Thanks for the advice!
2011-01-14 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3298665

User image

Master
St. Louis
So what is everyone planning on doing this weekend?  I'm planning a long run one day and a long ride the other.  Besides that I'm hoping to watch some football.

2011-01-14 10:40 PM
in reply to: #3300844

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
ransick - 2011-01-14 10:52 PM So what is everyone planning on doing this weekend?  I'm planning a long run one day and a long ride the other.  Besides that I'm hoping to watch some football.

PT cleared me today for spin class, so I'm aiming for a FUN Sunday morning spin Smile if I can survive the slumber party tomorrow night with a dozen pre-teen girls. So, a weekend filled with non-stop endurance activities for me.

Get in some extra running for me please Mike....!
2011-01-15 4:35 AM
in reply to: #3299419

User image

Central Oregon
bigr82 - 2011-01-14 8:24 AM

If im not mistaken the 310 is the most expensive but seems to have alot of offer a triathlete.  They have a candence meter for the bike, shoe pod for the treadmill, and a few other nice doodads.  Now if I can actually figure out how to use it haha

That sounds handy! I'm looking forward to hearing more about it as you get to put it to use.

paygilr - 2011-01-14 10:32 AM I did take a power nap at work the other day and it did seem to help.  I am going to have to take a certain time each day (yes I am bad at not taking my lunch) and geting a power nap.  Thanks for the advice!

I'm glad this worked for you! Some people can't do the power nap thing. My husband has tried it and he says it makes him more tired.

MarlaS - 2011-01-14 8:40 PM

PT cleared me today for spin class, so I'm aiming for a FUN Sunday morning spin Smile if I can survive the slumber party tomorrow night with a dozen pre-teen girls. So, a weekend filled with non-stop endurance activities for me.

Get in some extra running for me please Mike....!

Sounds like lots of fun for you this weekend Marla. Cool

ransick - 2011-01-14 7:52 PM So what is everyone planning on doing this weekend?  I'm planning a long run one day and a long ride the other.  Besides that I'm hoping to watch some football.

Some plan changes this weekend for us, so it looks like a very cold and dark run for me this morning. I'm trying to get excited for it... I am getting bored though running by myself all the time.

FUN stuff is that I will be completing a sewing project (I make clothes on the side) and we are taking the kids to a butterfly exhibit. They have a room where the butterflies land on you I guess... I think the kids will like it and I just hope the baby doesn't eat any insects.

Edited by Brightbow 2011-01-15 4:37 AM
2011-01-15 7:36 AM

I am planning my long run and long bike ride today since I couldn't get up Friday morning to do my long bike ride.

Laundry and pick up the house.
plan next weeks meals.

read two chapters in my Business class book and do all my online assignments(got to love online classes)

Sunday is family day formally known as my exercise off day but now known as family day again.

2011-01-15 1:47 PM

User image

Long bike today and then a longish run Sunday. Going to see the Green Hornet tomorrow. Study, play WoW and watch TV. Thats about it.
2011-01-15 2:29 PM

Veteran
Skipped the swim today, blew insulation up in my dads house & unlces new shed. After 3 or so hours, I'm getting pretty good at it.

2011-01-15 2:45 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Run, lunch with wife, and grocery shopping done.  Now it's time for some football.  Go Steelers!
2011-01-15 7:17 PM

User image

Central Oregon
Do you guys have strength workouts in your training plan? I am so confused by now... it seems like everyone has a different opinion on the subject.

Also, when you are doing your swim workouts, do you use flippers or those glove thingies?
2011-01-15 7:26 PM
in reply to: #3302022

User image

Master
St. Louis
I don't do strength workouts, but I think they would benefit me.  I subscribe to the theory of making sure you get your s/b/r workouts in and if you have time left over, do strength.  I think if I made time for strength training, I would have less back problems.

For swimming, I've never used paddles (the glove things) but I did use flippers when I was starting out.  They allowed me to feel what it was like to swim faster.  I see a lot of serious swimmers doing drills with flippers so I figure I should too, but I don't.

When I first started, I did use a pull buoy a lot.  It really helped me swim level and feel what that felt like.  It also allowed me to swim longer.  I would swim a couple laps without it, then when exhausted, swim a couple laps with it.  I kept alternating with and without it to give my upper body a full workout until my lower body caught up.

How was the butterfly house?
2011-01-15 7:36 PM
in reply to: #3302033

User image

Central Oregon
ransick - 2011-01-15 5:26 PM I don't do strength workouts, but I think they would benefit me.  I subscribe to the theory of making sure you get your s/b/r workouts in and if you have time left over, do strength.  I think if I made time for strength training, I would have less back problems.

For swimming, I've never used paddles (the glove things) but I did use flippers when I was starting out.  They allowed me to feel what it was like to swim faster.  I see a lot of serious swimmers doing drills with flippers so I figure I should too, but I don't.

When I first started, I did use a pull buoy a lot.  It really helped me swim level and feel what that felt like.  It also allowed me to swim longer.  I would swim a couple laps without it, then when exhausted, swim a couple laps with it.  I kept alternating with and without it to give my upper body a full workout until my lower body caught up.

How was the butterfly house?

The butterfly exhibit was really neat. The kids had a great time, we were there for four hours and now I'm tired. LOL

I do that group power class twice a week and I know that my running time has improved since I started doing that and including spin and a swim. I guess I am trying to figure out if I should stop running after doing the group power class and also if I should move to lower reps/higher weight and workout on my own in the gym... that's really intimidating btw. It's been a while since I have done that.

I'm not familiar with a pull buoy. I have been meaning to watch some videos and just haven't done it yet.
2011-01-15 7:56 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
The research I've done on strength training for tri-athletes seems to lean toward higher reps/lower weight to focus on tone vs. bulk.

The pull buoy is a styrofoam thing you put between your knees/thighs to make your legs float.  When using it, you don't need to kick so you can focus on your stroke and not get tired to to fast.  Kicking takes a lot of energy.  At my pool, they have a stack of them next to a pile of kick boards we can use.

2011-01-16 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
RE swimming doo-dads... my kick absolutely sucks - swum all my life & i just don't move when i kick - so i've loved having flippers to have the benefit of some kicking action while actually moving forward. I use zoomers - think you can find those at swimoutlet.com - bc they're short, so legs still have to work hard. they come w/ varying amounts of stiffness that give you more or less acceleration boost.

i also use the hand paddles as part of workouts, usually on my own. might do a lap (2 lengths) nice & slow with the paddles and really focus on my form & stroke, and then pull them off for a couple laps to try to really replicate the motion, then repeat the cycle a few times. i've been a swimmer my entire life, but find that the older i get, the more likely i am to ache if my mechanics are off, so using the flippers & paddles in isolation help me to focus on form.

RE strength training, I'm all for it. i also happen to enjoy it, which helps. I think it also helps me to avoid injury and/or recover faster (says the woman with the ankle sprain) bc it keeps everything strong - i do a lot of lower body & core work (abs, hips, glutes, quads, hamstring, calves) bc it all makes my knees and hips hurt less (had arthoscopic surgery on both knees last Nov & Dec, then started running 3 months later). Upper body work - especially delts & back - keeps my shoulders from hurting during swim. I try to do 3 sets of 15 reps of whatever I do, pairing reps of different muscle groups; for example, might do a set of 15 tricep presses followed by a set of 15 leg press/calf raises, then repeat that cycle 3 times. I use as much weight as I can manage to do fairly fast for that many reps, so I get some cardio benefit too. Try to do w/ various combos of muscles 2-3 days/week in a perfect world, but have slacked off the last few months (and feel it). Love working with a trainer when I have the $ bc he thinks of exercises that use unique combos of muscles in ways I'd never think to do (that and he totally kicks my butt).
2011-01-16 5:31 PM

New user

I am a firm believer in strength training.  I workout with my trainer at least 4 times a week.  We always perform a circuit style training system.  We usually do 20 reps of three different things repeated 3 times with light weight.  We do that a total of 4 times which makes it 12 different things that have been completed and I am exhausted.  I feel that the strength training (expecially core training) is essential to give my body the ability to b/s/r with better form and strength.

For the swimming, I will use a buoy rarely.  I usually just freestlye or breaststroke.  I feel like if I use the flippers, fins, etc. I will get used to the feel of having them, and I will not be fully prepared for the "real" swim.

I just finished a hour bike ride at 17mph and immediately ran 4 miles at 8:10.  felt great!
2011-01-16 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3303168

User image

Extreme Veteran
metro DC
CliffK110 - 2011-01-16 6:31 PM

I just finished a hour bike ride at 17mph and immediately ran 4 miles at 8:10.  felt great!

jeez, and i just finished sucking down even more cold, day-old pizza. Tongue out

ditto on the core - even good form & strength in swimming rest on a strong core. wish i could work out with a trainer 4 times/week though........!
2011-01-16 9:07 PM
in reply to: #3303168

User image

Master
St. Louis
CliffK110 - 2011-01-16 5:31 PM I am a firm believer in strength training.  I workout with my trainer at least 4 times a week.  We always perform a circuit style training system.  We usually do 20 reps of three different things repeated 3 times with light weight.  We do that a total of 4 times which makes it 12 different things that have been completed and I am exhausted.  I feel that the strength training (expecially core training) is essential to give my body the ability to b/s/r with better form and strength.

For the swimming, I will use a buoy rarely.  I usually just freestlye or breaststroke.  I feel like if I use the flippers, fins, etc. I will get used to the feel of having them, and I will not be fully prepared for the "real" swim.

Very nice brick today!

I agree with your thoughts on strength training.  I would probably have less back problems if I did some.

2011-01-16 9:10 PM
in reply to: #3302792

User image

Master
St. Louis
MarlaS - 2011-01-16 12:53 PM RE swimming doo-dads... my kick absolutely sucks - swum all my life & i just don't move when i kick - so i've loved having flippers to have the benefit of some kicking action while actually moving forward. I use zoomers - think you can find those at swimoutlet.com - bc they're short, so legs still have to work hard. they come w/ varying amounts of stiffness that give you more or less acceleration boost.

i also use the hand paddles as part of workouts, usually on my own. might do a lap (2 lengths) nice & slow with the paddles and really focus on my form & stroke, and then pull them off for a couple laps to try to really replicate the motion, then repeat the cycle a few times. i've been a swimmer my entire life, but find that the older i get, the more likely i am to ache if my mechanics are off, so using the flippers & paddles in isolation help me to focus on form.

RE strength training, I'm all for it. i also happen to enjoy it, which helps. I think it also helps me to avoid injury and/or recover faster (says the woman with the ankle sprain) bc it keeps everything strong - i do a lot of lower body & core work (abs, hips, glutes, quads, hamstring, calves) bc it all makes my knees and hips hurt less (had arthoscopic surgery on both knees last Nov & Dec, then started running 3 months later). Upper body work - especially delts & back - keeps my shoulders from hurting during swim. I try to do 3 sets of 15 reps of whatever I do, pairing reps of different muscle groups; for example, might do a set of 15 tricep presses followed by a set of 15 leg press/calf raises, then repeat that cycle 3 times. I use as much weight as I can manage to do fairly fast for that many reps, so I get some cardio benefit too. Try to do w/ various combos of muscles 2-3 days/week in a perfect world, but have slacked off the last few months (and feel it). Love working with a trainer when I have the $ bc he thinks of exercises that use unique combos of muscles in ways I'd never think to do (that and he totally kicks my butt).

My kick sucks too.  Using a kick board and doing one lap about kills me, so I don't do it.  Thanks for the reminder that I should do the things I don't like as well as the things I do. 

2011-01-16 10:08 PM
in reply to: #3302068

User image

Master
St. Louis
My thoughts on RPE, HR training, and power. 

RPE means rate of perceived exertion.  Several BT plans and other plans say what RPE or HR zone each workout should be in.  I use RPE or HR for most of my bike and run workouts.  I don't have a power meter for my bike (too expensive) so I can't offer much there except that I believe it is a more accurate way to train than RPE or HR.  If you have the cash and are a numbers person, I would get one.  I'm a numbers nerd (engineer) but don't have the cash.

The beauty of RPE or HR training is that they help you make sure your easy workouts are easy enough and your hard workouts are hard enough.  Without a HR monitor I tend to exercise at the same intensity and not vary things.  I still have a lot to learn here and really believe that once I figure it out a little better, my run times are going to come down.

The following zones and RPE numbers are from a BT article that explains a bunch of terms here

RPE/HR Zone Chart

Z1 - Zone 1 or Recovery
Z2 - Zone 2 or Extensive endurance
Z3 - Zone 3 or Intensive endurance/muscular endurance
Z4 - Zone 4 or Sub-threshold
Z5a - Zone 5a or Threshold
Z5b- Zone 5b or Super-threshold
Z5c- Zone 5b or VO2 Max

RPE Zone HR ZoneDescription
0 Z1Complete Rest
1 Z1Very easy; light walking
2 Z1Very easy; light walking
3 Z1Very easy; walking
4 Z1Still easy, maybe starting to sweat
5 Z2Starting to work just a little and you can feel your HR rise
6 Z2 UpperWorking but sustainable, able to talk in full sentences
7 Z3Strong effort; breathing labored, but can still maintain pace for some minutes without slowing.
8 Z4Olympic Distance Race Pace for MOP to FOP
9 Z510k effort – very hard
10 Z5+Z5+ = 5k effort and Z5++ = cannot hold effort for more than a minute or two. (almost maximal effort)

Establishing your hr zones is easy but hard work.  There is an article here that explains how to determine your lactate threshold, but I'll explain it as well. Your lactate threshold is the balance point where your body can get rid of lactic acid as fast as your body produces it, in other words, your maximum all out pace you can sustain.  It's important to know that the hr zones for the bike and run are different, so you will need to do two tests if you want to train by HR.  For most people, the run LT is 5-10 beats per minute higher than the bike LT. Both run and bike tests are similar.  After a 5-10 minute warm up, you go all out for 30 minutes and record your average HR for the last 20 minutes of the 30 minute test.  By all out, you should have nothing left after the test.  Disclaimer, you should get clearance from your doc before you do something like this.

Once you have your LT, you can have BT calculate your zones by going to Settings -> Training Log Settings -> Manage your HR zones.

I'd love to hear everyone's thought on the subject or any questions anyone has.
2011-01-16 10:56 PM

User image

I feel like I'm getting better at swimming.  The ear plugs worked great.
2011-01-17 7:30 AM
in reply to: #3303632

User image

Master
St. Louis
_T2_ - 2011-01-16 10:56 PM I feel like I'm getting better at swimming.  The ear plugs worked great.

What kind of ear plugs did you end up with?  I've also read that swimming in cold water without ear plugs leads to disiness for some people. 
2011-01-17 4:17 PM

Veteran
MIke, what style of earplug did you give me?   I had never worn any earplugs before and at our first OWS mike gave me some of a certain style, seemed to help in the colder lake water.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23