BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-01-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #3316493

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
Peachfor3 - 2011-01-23 3:24 PM Speaking of training plans, I just created one here (on BT,) but now I am having second thoughts.  I used the custom training schedule tool (so cool, enter in a start date, and race date and viola-plan.)  I love love love myself a good plan to follow, but I just sort of picked one, and set up my "short run, long run, ect." days in a way that I thought would be manageable with my family's schedule.  However, I only left myself one rest day, is that fine?  I won't start until mid-feb, can't officially run yet (lame-o stress fracture.)  Or is it better for me to go with one of the plans already created?  Does this question even make sense?  I just don't feel confident in customizing a plan when I don't really know what I am doing I guess.

I have never followed a plan, nor created one........but do know that you cannot go wrong with one of the plans here on BT.  Do not be afraid to jiggle things around to suit your life if you need to. As long as you use common sense, ie do not run hard intervals the day after a long run or such, you should be fine.
IMHO one rest day a week is perfectly fine. Many people don't take any rest days at all. Thats fine too. 

2011-01-23 4:30 PM
in reply to: #3316412

Chaderbox - 2011-01-23 2:17 PM
cbredderman - 2011-01-23 12:35 PM It's a whole 13° here, up from the -5° I woke up to.  I'm thinking about getting out for that 6 mile run I've been putting off, still not sure though.  I think a trip to Dicks or to the local ski shop is needed first, something to cover the face and mittens instead of my gloves so that I still have fingers when I get back.
I need to get to the library so I can print out my training plan for an Olympic distance tri.  Not that I have one in mind, I just don't see any good reason not to go for the longer distance.  The joys of not having a working printer.
Or maybe I'll just stay curled up with a blanket and finish reading "Shape Up With the Slow Fat Triathlete" and leave today as my recovery day...

You know, if you check here you can just follow along with a training plan of your choice...You wouldn't necessarily have to print it out.[/QUOTE]

Since I am not a premium member, it won't let me add training plans to my calendar.  For me, it helps to check off the workouts as I do them and have a physical reminder of what I am supposed to do, as well. 
2011-01-23 4:49 PM
in reply to: #3271854

Well, I did make it out for mittens and a neoprene/fleece cover for my face (when I was trying them on, my boyfriend called me Hannibal Lecter), but that was the most athletic thing I did today.  There was some other shopping, some talking to the parrots at the pet store, and some seeing what new stores are opening that I didn't know about.  All that took much longer than I thought it would, and the sun was setting by the time I got home.  I'm pretty hesitant to run after dark, especially this time of year when sidewalks aren't always clear and I sometimes have to run on the road.  But a whole day for rest/recovery won't kill me, and now I'm out of excuses for putting off a run (I have all the warm gear I could need, thanks in large part to my awesome brother).

So the new goal is to get in that 6 mile run this week, plus 2 other runs, and 1350 yards in the pool.
2011-01-23 8:05 PM

User image

Ohio
Today in the locker room I heard 2 men talking - One said to the other " I don't try and get better now - I just try to not get worse"   I thought this was a little strange to say.  Later in the conversation I found out he was 84 & the guy he was talking to was 78.  

2011-01-23 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3317032

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
asuit - 2011-01-23 9:05 PM Today in the locker room I heard 2 men talking - One said to the other " I don't try and get better now - I just try to not get worse"   I thought this was a little strange to say.  Later in the conversation I found out he was 84 & the guy he was talking to was 78.  

This is awesome! 
This is what I aspire to....longevity in sport. I will never make it to Kona.....hell I will never even win my AG in a dinky little local race, but I don''t care. I simply wish to remain active for the rest of my life.

Now if my surgeon would let me actually DO SOMETHING .........sigh........ 
2011-01-24 12:18 AM
in reply to: #3317110

This is awesome! 
This is what I aspire to....longevity in sport. I will never make it to Kona.....hell I will never even win my AG in a dinky little local race, but I don''t care. I simply wish to remain active for the rest of my life.

Now if my surgeon would let me actually DO SOMETHING .........sigh........ 

Very well said!!!  That's what it's all about!! 

2011-01-24 12:42 AM

One other question-  I have only been out on my road bike maybe 5 or 6 times since I got it, but I did notice that my toes would go numb in my shoes.  I did try loosening them up a bit thinking maybe I had them strapped too tight but that did not help.  Any suggestions?  I was going to play with my cleat position this spring when I can get back outside.
2011-01-24 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3317317

User image

On your right
srja - 2011-01-24 1:42 AM One other question-  I have only been out on my road bike maybe 5 or 6 times since I got it, but I did notice that my toes would go numb in my shoes.  I did try loosening them up a bit thinking maybe I had them strapped too tight but that did not help.  Any suggestions?  I was going to play with my cleat position this spring when I can get back outside.

Call your bike shop and let them know.  They should be able to re-adjust your cleats for you.  Hopefully they won't charge you too much.  Unless you're a decent bike mechanic, that would likely be the easiest option.
2011-01-24 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3317317

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
srja - 2011-01-24 1:42 AM One other question-  I have only been out on my road bike maybe 5 or 6 times since I got it, but I did notice that my toes would go numb in my shoes.  I did try loosening them up a bit thinking maybe I had them strapped too tight but that did not help.  Any suggestions?  I was going to play with my cleat position this spring when I can get back outside.

I have had this problem as well. For me getting orthotics with a metatarsal support pad in them helped somewhat......but after a ride of several hours my toes do tend to still go numb.

Chad is right.....go see the LBS and see what they say. Hopefully it's a simple fix! 
2011-01-24 12:51 PM
in reply to: #3317572

User image

On your right
aquagirl - 2011-01-24 8:59 AM

I have had this problem as well. For me getting orthotics with a metatarsal support pad in them helped somewhat......but after a ride of several hours my toes do tend to still go numb.

Chad is right.....go see the LBS and see what they say. Hopefully it's a simple fix! 

I have nothing to add here.  I just wanted to highlight this, so I can print it out for Mrs Chad, and show her that in fact, people don't spontaneously combust if they say that.
2011-01-24 3:56 PM
in reply to: #3318408

User image

Greenville, SC
Be sure to highlight the fact that it was another woman that said you were "right." Much more impressive than another mere mortal male acknowledging your mental prowess. 

Can numbness that far south also stem from a saddle problem?  I had the wrong seat, wrongly adjusted on my bike for awhile and all kinds of stuff started falling asleep.

2011-01-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #3318938

User image

Ohio
I don't know if this is the same thing.  My understanding of why you wear gloves with pads is that your hand and arm will go numb to get rid of the vibration.  The pads keeps this from happening.  could vibration be the culprit here also ? 

Allen
2011-01-24 7:39 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
kerux - 2011-01-24 4:56 PM Be sure to highlight the fact that it was another woman that said you were "right." Much more impressive than another mere mortal male acknowledging your mental prowess. 

Can numbness that far south also stem from a saddle problem?  I had the wrong seat, wrongly adjusted on my bike for awhile and all kinds of stuff started falling asleep.

Try reading through this thread..... this subject has been discussed quite a few times here.......

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=153186&start=1 
2011-01-24 7:41 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I managed  to get a short swim and a short ride in today.
It continues to be stupid cold here........ 
2011-01-25 6:18 AM

User image

On your right
kerux - 2011-01-24 4:56 PM Be sure to highlight the fact that it was another woman that said you were "right." Much more impressive than another mere mortal male acknowledging your mental prowess. 

You can also have that problem if you just go for too long of a ride without building up for it properly.  Or so I hear...
2011-01-25 8:06 AM

User image

Pittsburgh
Another training question here.  I missed my 9-mile long run this weekend and I want to make it up tomorrow morning.  I think I can do this and still be okay for my 10-mile long run this weekend.  I may push the weekend run back to Sunday to give myself a little extra time between the two runs.  Any thoughts.  I appreciate the responses.

2011-01-25 10:17 AM

User image

New user
Okay, still obsessing over a bike.  I can only spend about $300-$400 to start with (btw, my mountain bike got dusted off and down and is pretty junked out, but if I get desperate I will be using it.)  I have visited most of the LBS and I found one that I love, so that is who I will go with.  I have been looking at the black market (aka craigslist) and ebay and I have some ideas.  I have figured out size for sure, but I am still lost on lots of other stuff.  I found a bike on ebay that I like, seems like a good starter, but it is a brand I have never heard of (dawes?)  Also, it says 14 gears, and most I have seen have 21?  I know it seems risky buying a bike I've never seen before, but what I am most afraid of is taking in to get fitted and having them laugh at my bike!  Is it tacky to include the ebay link and see what you guys think?  If so, please ignore link.....If not, whadya guys think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150548273922&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en
2011-01-25 10:18 AM

User image

New user
Sorry, apparently I don't know how to make it a clicky link.....
2011-01-25 10:23 AM
in reply to: #3320311

User image

Greenville, SC
Peachfor3 - 2011-01-25 11:17 AM Okay, still obsessing over a bike.  I can only spend about $300-$400 to start with (btw, my mountain bike got dusted off and down and is pretty junked out, but if I get desperate I will be using it.)  I have visited most of the LBS and I found one that I love, so that is who I will go with.  I have been looking at the black market (aka craigslist) and ebay and I have some ideas.  I have figured out size for sure, but I am still lost on lots of other stuff.  I found a bike on ebay that I like, seems like a good starter, but it is a brand I have never heard of (dawes?)  Also, it says 14 gears, and most I have seen have 21?  I know it seems risky buying a bike I've never seen before, but what I am most afraid of is taking in to get fitted and having them laugh at my bike!  Is it tacky to include the ebay link and see what you guys think?  If so, please ignore link.....If not, whadya guys think?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150548273922&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

What bike and size are you looking for?  Maybe we can all keep an eye out in our respective markets and see if we can find something reasonable for you.  Not sure how much it costs to ship a bike but it might be worth it.
2011-01-25 11:02 AM

User image

On your right
I see no problem with a long run on Tuesday and Saturday/Sunday.  I'd just be sure to cut any speedwork or hard intervals Wed-Fri/Sat.

As for the bike, it's got 14 gears and not 21 because it's only got 2 gears on the "front".  Bikes that have a triple chainring will have more options, for gearing, but some will be pretty much the same as on a bigger or smaller chainring if you're on the middle ring.  Make sense?

Bear in mind that if you go with that bike, you should have your LBS (local bike shop) put it together for you and help you get fit to it.
2011-01-25 1:44 PM

User image

New user
I think I may hang tight to see if I can get something better from the ol black market.  I am looking for a medium frame, or 54-55 cm.  My LBS will assemble, tune up, and fit any bike to me for a reasonable (I think) price. If I do ship, I'll just ship it to the store.  Thanks for the input!

2011-01-25 3:37 PM
in reply to: #3320901

User image

On your right
If you're hoping to stay in the $300 price range, ebay and CL are going to be your best bets.  Even most entry level bikes from a shop will cost ~$800.  Now, some shops do have financing and such.  I know that there's a Trek dealer around here that does their own line of credit.  They offer up to 1 year interest free, and that can really make a big difference.
2011-01-25 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3321189

User image

Veteran
Shon, another thing to pay attention to is the components. I couldn't find which ones were on the bike you posted (maybe I looked in the wrong place?) but it is definitely a factor that one looks for on a new advertised bike.

You might want to check and see if the police hold bike auctions of recovered bikes in your area. They do it here, and my hobby is buying them, fixing them up, and selling on craigslist (which explains the 30 bikes in our basement). Very seldom a high end road bike is at the auction, but it sometimes happens. If so, make sure you know what size you need, and how to measure it on the spot. That's how I got my bike.

Have fun with the twins. Ours turned 6 yesterday.
2011-01-25 4:45 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Noel, go ahead and do your runs...you have enough space between them Should be OK.
2011-01-25 4:52 PM
in reply to: #3319948

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
nmroach - 2011-01-25 9:06 AM Another training question here.  I missed my 9-mile long run this weekend and I want to make it up tomorrow morning.  I think I can do this and still be okay for my 10-mile long run this weekend.  I may push the weekend run back to Sunday to give myself a little extra time between the two runs.  Any thoughts.  I appreciate the responses.

Or...........it would actually be ok to just skip it and do the ten miler on the weekend. The only thing I am concerned about is the bump in your weekly mileage. 
If doing both runs will bump up your weekly mileage by an insane amount , then you are perhaps better off just sticking to the ten miler.
Life happens, and we miss workouts occasionally. Thats ok. But if trying to "make them up" taxes you greatly, then you are better off skipping it.

Wow. What a wishy washy answer. Sorry.   

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19