General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2011-12-02 8:05 AM
in reply to: #3922160

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread
SSMinnow - 2011-12-01 11:36 AM

bcagle25 - 2011-12-01 9:14 AM Phone says 283 days until the bg day!

Gee, thanks Ben.  This is the second reminder I got about MOO today. Too early for me to start thinking about it yet!

In the event anyone is interested, I thought I would pass along this free training event leading up to MOO.

Suzy, before you know it your gonna be walking down that ramp getting into the water thinking "where did this year go?" But even though it is still a bit early it is never too early to start panic trainingWink

I think I am gonna get some coursework done on the swim course this winter. You know run the swim course, should be an easy course record!

2011-12-02 8:23 PM

User image

Expert
SSMinnow - 2011-12-01 12:36 PM

Gee, thanks Ben.  This is the second reminder I got about MOO today. Too early for me to start thinking about it yet!

In the event anyone is interested, I thought I would pass along this free training event leading up to MOO.

Hmmm... You got me thinking there... that is a long weekend in Canada... hmmm...

2011-12-13 10:12 AM

User image

Expert

Thanks for the post Suzy - those videos are great - I have already watched the bike course twice.

SSMinnow - 2011-12-01 11:36 AM

2011-12-13 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3693947

User image

Expert

So my training program starts on Feb. 13.  I have been feeling a little "unfocused" this offseason so I decided to give P90X a shot for the next 2 months (it will actually turn into the P60X-haha).  I want to build some strength for my IM training but have been finding it hard to get to the gym to lift.  I am trying to get in some short 30-45 minute trainer rides, 30 min treadmill runs and 2 swim workouts/week in between the P90X. 

Is this a smart thing to do or should I be focusing on really getting my aerobic base back up instead of focusing on strength?  My thinking is that I will have plenty of time to build my aerobic base when I start up in February and the strength training will end up helping me over the next year?

2011-12-14 1:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Madison,
270 days.
2011-12-16 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3936595

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
tmoran80 - 2011-12-13 10:41 AM

So my training program starts on Feb. 13.  I have been feeling a little "unfocused" this offseason so I decided to give P90X a shot for the next 2 months (it will actually turn into the P60X-haha).  I want to build some strength for my IM training but have been finding it hard to get to the gym to lift.  I am trying to get in some short 30-45 minute trainer rides, 30 min treadmill runs and 2 swim workouts/week in between the P90X. 

Is this a smart thing to do or should I be focusing on really getting my aerobic base back up instead of focusing on strength?  My thinking is that I will have plenty of time to build my aerobic base when I start up in February and the strength training will end up helping me over the next year?

It sounds to me like you're on the right track.  I, personally, would add in some longer runs/rides but I also don't do as much lifting or weight training.  As far as swimming,  I don't know what kind of a swimmer you are.  If you're already able to swim the distance, 169 lengths, then I'd recommend some speed drills, but that's about it.  When you start swimming outside in the spring or summer, everything is going to change....

2011-12-18 2:54 PM

My first full. Am I crazy?!

2011-12-18 6:51 PM
in reply to: #3943031

User image

Expert
hgbravo - 2011-12-18 3:54 PM

Not crazy.  Just dedicated.  That is what I tell myself.

Have a great time training for you first.  it is amazing

2011-12-18 7:12 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
hgbravo - 2011-12-18 2:54 PM

It's hard to tell!  Start filling out your training logs and we'll let you know. Smile

2011-12-19 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Mukwonago, WI
hgbravo - 2011-12-18 2:54 PM

No more crazy than the rest of us....  Welcome to the nut house!

2011-12-19 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3936595

User image

Middle of Nowhere, Manitoba, Canada

I think throwing in some P90X is a great way to mix things up during the off-season!  I did the "Insanity" video workouts last winter and it was a great way to keep me motivated and build strength!  As long as you are relatively fit, starting up in February will give you more than enough time before September!

2011-12-20 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3943887

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
JR1981 - 2011-12-19 9:58 AM

I think throwing in some P90X is a great way to mix things up during the off-season!  I did the "Insanity" video workouts last winter and it was a great way to keep me motivated and build strength!  As long as you are relatively fit, starting up in February will give you more than enough time before September!

Never done P90X myself, but would love to hear some feedback and if/how it helped in training for the summer. Keep us posted!

2011-12-20 2:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook

Name: Max

What is your Ironman resume? none

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Live in the northwest Chicago suburbs and this is the closest IM to me, and my brother did this last year so I have to do this now.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? First IM so I want to say that I would like to just finish, but I would love to do it under at around 11:30

What are you most looking forward to? Long training rides and runs, love swimming long sets. Cant wait to get out on the course to see what its like. Picking up my race packet and the end!

Veterans any advice you can give early on? N/A

2011-12-20 2:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northbrook
What training plan is everyone using? Any you would suggest?
2011-12-28 10:33 AM

User image

New user

St. Louis, MO

Name: CJ

What is your Ironman resume? None - this is my first!

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I had it narrowed down to Wisconsin, Louisville and Florida.  My brother and a friend did Louisville, so they wanted to try something different (but of course they ended up not signing up for WI anyway), Florida the ocean swim scared me away.  Wisconsion just had the best fit of course and driving distance

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Really just to finish, but it would be really great to be done before the sun.

What are you most looking forward to? the feeling of crossing that finish line and completing the most challenging thing I have done yet.

Question for you IM WI vets.  I was not planning on wearing a wetsuit for the race (as I don't even own one) but reading some past reviews on the race and water temps has me second guessing.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2011-12-28 11:34 AM
in reply to: #3957557

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
cjr222 - 2011-12-28 10:33 AM

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I had it narrowed down to Wisconsin, Louisville and Florida.  My brother and a friend did Louisville, so they wanted to try something different (but of course they ended up not signing up for WI anyway), Florida the ocean swim scared me away.  Wisconsion just had the best fit of course and driving distance

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Really just to finish, but it would be really great to be done before the sun.

What are you most looking forward to? the feeling of crossing that finish line and completing the most challenging thing I have done yet.

Question for you IM WI vets.  I was not planning on wearing a wetsuit for the race (as I don't even own one) but reading some past reviews on the race and water temps has me second guessing.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome CJ! You are going to love IMWI for your first IM. As for the wetsuit question, I would say that 99% of the field wears wetsuits, mostly full but there is a good portion that wear sleeveless. Water temps are usually around the 65-68 range I would guess? The lake is usually very warm all summer and people begin to fear a non-wetsuit legal swim, but the lake always cools off 2-3 weeks out from the race. I think only once before in the 10 years of the race has it ever been non-wetsuit legal. 

Are you a strong swimmer? If not, the added buoyancy is always a benefit. If cost of buying a wetsuit is an issue you can always rent. Lots of places rent suits and if you want to rent one while you are in Madison you can get some super cheap rentals for high quality suits. 

2011-12-28 5:12 PM

User image

New user

Madison

Name: Steve Hughes

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first Ironman I am a newcomer to endurance races and did 2 marathons and Racine in 2011.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Madison is my home. I am a senior at UW-Madison and have been training all over the city for my first marathon last year. There is no other place I'd rather do my first IM. I love this city.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Finish.

What are you most looking forward to? The last mile of the race as all the emotions begin to hit. Then crossing that line.

I can't wait for this!! So nervous and excited at the same time.

2011-12-29 8:32 AM
in reply to: #3958555

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
sehughes - 2011-12-28 5:12 PM

Name: Steve Hughes

What is your Ironman resume? This will be my first Ironman I am a newcomer to endurance races and did 2 marathons and Racine in 2011.

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Madison is my home. I am a senior at UW-Madison and have been training all over the city for my first marathon last year. There is no other place I'd rather do my first IM. I love this city.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Finish.

What are you most looking forward to? The last mile of the race as all the emotions begin to hit. Then crossing that line.

I can't wait for this!! So nervous and excited at the same time.

Steve welcome to the group! I'll be in Madison randomly over the next few months and come summer I am hoping to be in town every other week on Sundays and Monday's lets hook up for some workouts!

2011-12-29 2:55 PM

Name: John

What is your Ironman resume? none

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? Live in Chicago, and this is the closest IM to me.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Like most first-timers, FINISH.

What are you most looking forward to? My parents and 3-yo son have never seen me race.  I've invited them to Madison, so I hope I get to see them out on the course and, of course, at the finish line.

2011-12-30 3:15 AM
in reply to: #3959398

User image

New user

Madison
I agree, I've got some friends in town I am doing with it and I'm sure they would love to as well!
2011-12-30 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3957557

User image

Expert
A little slice of paradise
cjr222 - 2011-12-28 10:33 AM

Hello CJ  You will enjoy Madison. I live here so if you have any questions ask away.

Wetsuit IMO I say wear one you will not regret it as almost all the field does. I have worn a sleeveless one, the past 3 years at IMWI.  There is an online place called Fit2race  http://www.f2r.com/ where you can rent a wetsuit for a month at a reasonable price. For my first Tri, I rented a wetsuit from them, and did not regret it. Actually, I ended up purchasing the sleeveless one I have from them.

Cheers Nicole

2011-12-31 9:25 AM

Is it possible for k me to be ready by September if I have to learn to ride a road bike for the first time?
2012-01-01 5:37 PM
in reply to: #3962825

User image

New user

St. Louis, MO
Thanks for all the info so far, I'm sure I'll have some more questions as the race gets closer.  I've decided that I'm going to be purchasing a wetsuit.  Is full vs. sleeveless just personal preference?  or is the typical water temp at IMWI lean one direction or the other?
2012-01-03 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3965246

User image

Expert
Chenequa WI

I would recommend a full wetsuit for any triathlon including IMWI that is wet-suit legal. 

As for temps, if the water is too warm for a full, than its probably too warm for a sleeveless wetsuit.

2012-01-03 3:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

Name: Eric

What is your Ironman resume? IMWI 2010

Why did you choose Ironman Wisconsin? I'm in Minneapolis, so, geographic friendliness.

What are you goals for IMWI 2012? Finish of course.  But, now that I (kinda) know what I'm doing this time around, I'm hoping to cut about 90 minutes off my time from 2010.

What are you most looking forward to? My wife and I are expecting our first in March, so I just want to learn to balance the daddy thing, the husband thing and the training thing.  Of course, if you ask me the same question in September, I'll probably just say I'm looking forward to 8 hours of uninterupted sleep following the race.

Veterans any advice you can give early on? Never underestimate the value of a good nutrition plan.  What works for a 70.3 may not treat you well for 140.6.  Don't freak out if you have to skip a workout or two - but don't make a habit out of it either.  Don't go out too hard on the bike - treat it like a commute to your marathon.  Say 'thank you' to all the volunteers you can.  Ham it up for the crowd at the finish line, and smile for the camera.  Don't forget to thank your family, friends and coworkers who all sacrificed something for you to train and compete.  Seriously.  Thank them all.  Individually.  Oh, and never, ever, ever trust a fart in an Ironman. Tongue out

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 45