BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-05-15 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4125768

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Closed

Had an interesting race this weekend.  Anyone ever do a Tough Mudder??  12 miles and 25 obstacles, Great fun, but  I am still sore, now.  But, trying to get back into training.  Started 2-a-days last week, and felt good, though I seem to always be hungry whenever I ramp up the training.  Now, I just need for the weather to break so I can get off the stationary bike and onto the road.

Ken, I was looking for your race report from this weekend (really interested in your 1/2 Ironman), but can't find the link.  I did, however find an interesting Training Plan from Triathlete magazine a couple months ago.  The plan needs a few ammendments, but looks as if it will work.

As for getting out of a wetsuit, use lots of body glide, and practice.  It's a good idea to have it to your waist by the time you enter T1, and don't be afraid to step on the legs to get it off.  Remember, slow is smooth and smooth is fast, be deliberate and thoughtful with every movement in transition.

I like to wear Brooks Adrenaline.  I used to really like the New Balance 700 series, but can't find them anymore.  I tried upgrading to the 1200 series, but after the first run, my feet were sore.  The Brooks have answered the mail very well, and if you look in my closet I have about 3 pair (my wife laughs at me).  But, the shoes are quite important ... find what fits and works with your stride.  When I start tri training, I actually also stop wearing socks (though I may re-think that as I prepare for a 1/2 Ironman ... Ken, what are your thoughts??), and use elastic laces.  Really easy and I don't have to worry about tying the shoes too tight or loose.

Sorry, I don't get on the site very often (and the times are quite off), but I do enjoy everyone's stories, input, and questions.  Thank you.  Well, early to bed so I can be early to rise.  Still debating an Oly at the beginning of June, and spreading out a few more races through the summer. 

2012-05-16 5:01 AM
in reply to: #4211239

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

HI Rich,

I would be interested in some detail of the tough mudder, my son has suggested we do one together it would be good to hear how this all goes down, it sounds like it can be fun. 

2012-05-16 1:41 PM
in reply to: #4212129

User image

New user

Hello, Bill,

The Tough Mudder is a unique experience, and each one is different (I've now done two).  For me, I did not go into either one with a serious mind-set of "competing," rather, having fun.  For this last one, there were 9 of us on a team with a broad range of experiences and capabilities; but, all of us had one thing in common, to have fun.  Do it to enjoy the experience and know you can bypass an obstacle, if you absolutely need to.  However, for someone who wants to have fun, with a  bit of a challenge, it's a great time (and for me, it's even better that the race ends with a beer).  In its simplest form, you move around the circuit (8-12 miles) and do obstacles along the way, with a bunch of other people, most of whom will help you throughout the event.

They tend to be a bit expensive, but fun, none the less.  For you and son, especially "bonding time," it could be well worth it (I tried getting my Dad to do the first one with me, but it was still a great time with my brother in law).  To top it off, it shouldn't take much (if any) time away from triathlon training (just add in a little more core work-out, including pull-ups).  It looks like I may be doing another one in July, with the old team.

Let me know what you decide.  It would be great to hear about your experience.  And, with everything else around this, have fun with what you do (it makes our efforts so much more worth it).

Rich

Edited by richwampler 2012-05-16 1:44 PM
2012-05-17 12:09 PM
in reply to: #4209976

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
jimyak - 2012-05-15 6:35 AM

I have a question for the guys that have raced. What is the best way to get out of your wet suit in T1?

Jim

Always a great question.

1. Put liberal amounts of Body Glide on your feet, ankles and lower legs. And put some on the outside of the wet suit's lower legs -- this makes sure it doesn't stick as you take it off.

2. Pull the zipper and push down the top of the suit while jogging into T1.

3. When you reach your spot, push the suit down from the waist. As it rolls down, step on one side with your opposite foot and pull your leg up. Then repeat on the other side until the suit is off.

This young lady does a fine job demonstrating the finer points:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrB2hu0ZBo
2012-05-17 4:23 PM
in reply to: #4215149

User image

New user

Ken,

Thank you.  Nothing quite as motivating as a nice looking woman coming out of a wetsuit ... certainly going to watch that one for tips.

Rich

2012-05-18 4:08 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

Hi everyone, 

Well, Iv'e been out to the lake twice, No one was out there the first day which is good i felt very conscientious putting on the suit. To my surprise the water temp is about 65 so it felt just right. I went out up to my chest and sighted out a route along the shore. My route length was .2 mi so i did that up and back twice equaling .8 mi. Took me about 28min. These were the first swims i have taken that i didn't have to turn around every 25yds. Some things i noticed: First how buoyant i felt and that it is hard to sight ahead and that i have to get used to swimming that distance nonstop. The second time in was better than the first and i am getting better at it.   

2012-05-18 8:50 PM
in reply to: #4217421

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Yes, there's nothing like the nice buoyant feeling of a wetsuit. Practice sighting by counting strokes (say every 10) and pulling your head up during the reach and sighting along your arm.
2012-05-19 11:36 AM

User image

Iowa

Well, I'm off to the race!  Getting my wife and little one ready to go is a lot of fun.  NOT    I worked last night and will not get any sleep until tonight = poopy attitude.  I hope to make it to Ames in time for packet pick-up, we'll see.

2012-05-19 3:28 PM
in reply to: #4218134

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Good luck! Send us all a report.

Ken
2012-05-20 5:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Central VA
AAR - The Storming of Thunder Ridge.

http://www.stormingofthunderridge.com/

I chose the 45 mile option. The 75 and 100 included a 13 mile 6-8% grade. Maybe next year.

Ride was attended by over 300 riders. Great local support and several well stocked rest stops. Several SAG teams were on patrol as well.

I rode my cyclocross bike with its lower gearing to help with the hills. Seems like you either climbing or descending 80% of the time. It really help to keep spinning up hills rather than grinding.

Figuring in the rest stops, I was averaging around 15 mph which was great considering the type of hills we were doing.

It was the most beautiful route I've ever been on. Highly recommend it if you are in the central VA area.

2012-05-22 4:40 AM
in reply to: #4219306

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
pvfd304 - 2012-05-20 6:00 PM

AAR - The Storming of Thunder Ridge.

http://www.stormingofthunderridge.com/

I chose the 45 mile option. The 75 and 100 included a 13 mile 6-8% grade. Maybe next year.

Ride was attended by over 300 riders. Great local support and several well stocked rest stops. Several SAG teams were on patrol as well.

I rode my cyclocross bike with its lower gearing to help with the hills. Seems like you either climbing or descending 80% of the time. It really help to keep spinning up hills rather than grinding.

Figuring in the rest stops, I was averaging around 15 mph which was great considering the type of hills we were doing.

It was the most beautiful route I've ever been on. Highly recommend it if you are in the central VA area.

Sounds like a great experience for you! For those of you looking to build into longer rides, organized rides like these are a great way to start. Knowing you'll have support and other people around you is a big confidence booster.

And for those of you who ever get a chance to come to Virginia, by all means do some riding on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

Ken

2012-05-22 9:51 AM

User image

Iowa

I went last in the swim thinking I would be slower than the others. I should have gone sooner because I got stuck behind and could not get past without getting kicked. I would swim a few strokes and that would catch me up to the group and in the open water I could not figure how to get around the other swimmers that were in front of me. I learned about sighting and will start out more on the outside and give up distance for a clear swim.

The bike course was not hard mostly flat but there was a head wind on the first half and with my hybrid bike I think every one past me on the way out and then on the return I passed a few and felt better. The thing I heard the most on the bike was "ON YOUR LEFT"  The lower position of a road bike will make a difference.

The run started with me walking, then I woke up after someone was coming in from the run and said "this is a race get going"  I usually run the 5k in about 33 min so 36 min for me is not too bad.

On the next race I know what to expect and will push myself much harder.

Race: Bluff Creek Triathlon - Sprint 
2012-05-22 2:09 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL
Great race Jim!
2012-05-22 3:34 PM
in reply to: #4222543

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
That is the spirit, your in it now so keep working at it and figuring it out great job.
2012-05-22 3:48 PM

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES

Hi everyone,

I checked out the race course on the bike over the weekend and there were about 25 or so other people on the course they all had road bikes and i watched them disappear in the distance especially on the hills so i got to listening to a couple of cycling podcasts and the one thing i kept hearing was the positioning on the bike. Today i adjusted my standard handlebars lower so i could get out of the wind position low and boy did that make a difference. I hit 18.5mph for my 8mi test.

Yesterday i did a short triple brick just to get the newness of it out of the way, to mentally get past the anxiety, feel a lot better about it now and will do a couple more before i wind down to race day.

One other thing is i developed a sinus infection, it makes training more difficult but at this point just gotta go with it best i can 

2012-05-22 7:52 PM
in reply to: #4222543

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Way to go, Jim! There's a first race for everyone, and you've got the right spirit to move on. Pretty soon you'll be the one shouting "on your left!" :-)

Ken

2012-05-22 7:54 PM
in reply to: #4223576

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-05-22 4:48 PM

Yesterday i did a short triple brick just to get the newness of it out of the way, to mentally get past the anxiety, feel a lot better about it now and will do a couple more before i wind down to race day.

Race rehearsals like that are a smart idea, especially when it's all new. How soon's the race?

Ken
2012-05-23 4:42 AM
in reply to: #4223962

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
The race is june 3rd, its been good practice getting in and out of the wetsuit and a couple of other little things like loosening your shoe laces a bit beforehand and maybe going sockless for the run
2012-05-23 4:49 AM
in reply to: #4223956

User image

Iowa

kenail - 2012-05-22 7:52 PM Way to go, Jim! There's a first race for everyone, and you've got the right spirit to move on. Pretty soon you'll be the one shouting "on your left!" :-) Ken

After a while the "on your left" just made me smile. I also should say that there was a lot of encouragement from those that were passing, they were fighting the wind also. I did get my new bike and I took it to the LBS for a tune up. That should make a positive difference. I will get it back in a few days, they are busy.

2012-05-23 4:59 AM
in reply to: #4224352

User image

Iowa

wrhall2 - 2012-05-23 4:42 AM The race is june 3rd, its been good practice getting in and out of the wetsuit and a couple of other little things like loosening your shoe laces a bit beforehand and maybe going sockless for the run

I have been using the elastic shoe laces and they worked great, that part of T1 was fast. I did put on socks because that is comfortable for me

2012-05-24 5:33 AM
in reply to: #4224360

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
jimyak - 2012-05-23 5:59 AM

I did put on socks because that is comfortable for me

Good call -- don't go sockless unless you've tried it in practice and know it works for you.

2012-05-27 12:52 AM

User image

Iowa

ken,

I'm ready to strart a new training plan what are your thoughts on the heart rate plans vs the rate of perceived exertion? In the past I was afraid to use the HR plans because I know my rate would be sky high on the runs. I'm in a little better shape now and able to run (jog) with less effert but I still fear what the monitor will show.

Jim

2012-05-28 6:17 AM
in reply to: #4230919

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
HR monitors can be very useful tools, especially when used as part of a plan. And most people (myself included) can be guilty of going too hard on the easy days and too easy on the hard days. A HR monitor will help you ensure you train at the level your plan specifies. And, over time, it helps you perceive more accurately what your actual effort level is, even without one.

So I say, go for it with the HR monitor! Good luck with the new plan. And, refresh my memory, what's next for you?

Ken
2012-05-28 7:46 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

Had a sprint this weekend.  If the race post isn't public, it will be soon.  That page is freezing up.

The swim went good.  Not especially quick, but I did a good job sighting and swimming straight.  I just have to swim on OW more so I'll calm down.  Wouldn't hurt if I wouldn't start the race wide open.

Bike was ok.  I'm not the fasted biker.  Average pace was 18.9 according to race times.  Felt good and is faster than I was a month ago.  Good for today, foundation for tomorrow.

Run was great.  A PR for that distance.   The run is my strength.  3mi at a 7:43 pace. 

Transitions were probably average.  Things went smoothly.  Wouldn't hurt to practice them alittle more and get some equipment to help speed things along.

Most importantly I had a blast.  This is my second race ever and I like it more than the first. 

If I had a down side, a buddy of mine raced too.  It was his first race.  He beat me by 3 seconds.  Ugh.

Did anyone else race?

2012-05-28 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

Is there a way to put my race distance into my training log?  Do I just put it in manually as if it was a big training session?

Edit:  Disregard.  I found it. 

Edited by Fokker416 2012-05-28 9:10 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  

of 9