BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-22 3:40 PM
in reply to: #4553821

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - CLOSED

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah I had been considering a 2nd HIM in march, but my experience on Sunday taught me that I have a way to go before being ready for it. So I'm going to continue on the path I was heading down, slowly building my training volume up to where it needs to be to make a good job of the longer races. I'm thinking that by next summer (December down here) I'll be ready for another HIM attempt. 

Until then I'm going to do some sprints, and an Oly for the rest of my summer. Hopefully set some PR's along the way

As for your training, that is an epic run! nice job. 

Kim, 

The first thing, is to make sure you've got the correct sort of shoes. Fitted at a decent running store, by someone who know's what they're doing. Not something from the bargain bin at Walmart. I'm sure you know this, but it's really important. Especially for us bigger athletes, good, well cushioned shoes make a big difference. 

Assuming you have good shoes, maybe you're running too much, to fast to soon. When I started on the C25K, I think it was 30 sec run 90 sec walk. You might need to back it off a bit for now, try sticking to 30 sec's running at a time for a week or 2 before trying to increase.

2013-01-22 3:45 PM
in reply to: #4588629

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - CLOSED

Kim ... last year I was running with an awkward gait and ended up with bad shin splints and terrible hip pain.  Ended up getting orthotics and after an extended time away from running I came back and my gait is back to normal and as you can see I have been able to add some nice volume.  

Go to your local runners shop that does gait analysis - they can tel if you pronate, heel strike ... all that and suggest sneakers for you.   I am not sure if you have ever been to a chiropractor but I used one in my recovery - found it helpful.

2013-01-22 4:39 PM

New user

Roanoke, TX

Paul, very entertaining narrative of your last run, pretty funny stuff.

Finished my second swim training session and felt a whole lot better this time then I did after my first swim.  This time I broke it up into doing 4 lengths at a time and would rest 30 secs or so and then do another 4 lengths. I kept track of my time and I was doing each 100 meters between 2:35 and 2:40. I did this 9 times, I thought I had done it 10 times but I apparently miss counted. So I didnt go quite 1000meters, but 900 meters isnt too bad for me. I now have a benchmark and can improve upon it. On Thursday, I think Ill try to go 150 meters a few times before resting while keeping the same time.

This past Saturday I did my first bike/run. Well sorta, I did the exercise bike for 10 miles and then went outside for a 3 mile run. Legs definitely felt real heavy for the first part of the run but after I loosened up, I felt pretty good. Next Saturday I plan on riding outside for the first time followed by a run and hopefully will have similar results.

-matt

2013-01-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4589887

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
bulfrog - 2013-01-22 3:40 PM

Kim, 

The first thing, is to make sure you've got the correct sort of shoes. Fitted at a decent running store, by someone who know's what they're doing. Not something from the bargain bin at Walmart. I'm sure you know this, but it's really important. Especially for us bigger athletes, good, well cushioned shoes make a big difference. 

Assuming you have good shoes, maybe you're running too much, to fast to soon. When I started on the C25K, I think it was 30 sec run 90 sec walk. You might need to back it off a bit for now, try sticking to 30 sec's running at a time for a week or 2 before trying to increase.

Good advice.  I got these shoes at a running store, but have been thinking about going back to get new shoes.  I've never  worn out shoes, but I'm thinking that this might be one of the issues.  Besides, what triathlete doesn't like new running shoes  I've also got custom orthotics, so I think I'm good there.  I will also be dialing back the jogging.  It is so frustrating for my body to not be able to do what my heart wants to do.

2013-01-23 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4589892

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
BigPaulD - 2013-01-22 3:45 PM

Kim ... last year I was running with an awkward gait and ended up with bad shin splints and terrible hip pain.  Ended up getting orthotics and after an extended time away from running I came back and my gait is back to normal and as you can see I have been able to add some nice volume.  

Go to your local runners shop that does gait analysis - they can tel if you pronate, heel strike ... all that and suggest sneakers for you.   I am not sure if you have ever been to a chiropractor but I used one in my recovery - found it helpful.

My chiropractor and I are very close friends.  I seriously don't know what I would do without him.  I've never had anyone look at me when I run and give me advice.  Should be interesting.

2013-01-23 2:31 PM

User image

Hey TRI team, 

Sorry, had to go off the reservation for a few days, had some interviews that I had to prepare for and attend.  I may not have responded but I read regularly.  So exciting being a part of this making things happen group.  Some late comments / congratulations to y’alls posts below

Kim: Paul is on point with the 30s run intervals / 90s walk intervals.  And don’t worry according to what I have read, is that people who do the shorter cycles, come in within a minute or 2 within those who run/walk 3/1 intervals for the overall time intervals.  For more information, check out Jeff Galloway’s (marathon expert) website, http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/walk_breaks.html, and http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html.  I don’t think his site is very user friendly, but he is the guru on running.  He also has a conditioning program to help jump start the running.

Paul: Friending people on BT, go to BT home page, on top bar go to Settings->Training Blog Customization (in middle of the screen, 1st set of tabs -> Friends (2nd set of tabs).  It made it easier to monitor team mates training schedules, just click and you can see their workouts on their blog if they use it.

Paul you are a beast.  I wish I even understood how to use splits effectively.  Is there any such thing for extremely slow runners / walkers / beginners?  (Wait is this the same as intervals to some degree with ranging intensities?)

Mizti: I love that name of Oh My Goddard race (perfect).  Congrats and good-luck for registering for your first races, you will love it!  Not sure if you guys are on linked in, but there is a Triathlete group there, and the recurring question that never gets old is the “Describe your first triathlon” thread.  The stories there are hilarious and inspiring.  Helped give people an idea of what the emotional hills and valleys of training and competing are like.  BT is excellent with its collection of stories as well.

Also I used the heart training regimen in various cycles of training in the past, and I like it.  It helps me keep things in perspective and prevents me from under or over-training and burning out from trying to push myself too hard.  I haven’t read Rich Roll’s book, truth be told hadn’t heard of it before, but I am definitely interested.

Bullfrog:  Congratulations on the HalfIronman.  Not sure but was this your first half?

Mharvey:  Watched the clip you sent on the 427lb couch potato -> triathlete.  Great stuff, she looks great.  Her determination is very palpable.

Will be back sooner than last time and hopefully logging my first workout.

Talk to you soon.

Ony / BiafraGirl

2013-01-23 5:36 PM

User image

Yay Andrew! Can't wait for the full report.
2013-01-24 4:35 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Ony, Thanks. Yes, it was my first HIM.

I've had a few easy workouts now, (1 swim and 2 rides), and the body seems to be recovering pretty well. I'm going to try an easy jog before work tomorrow, and then the Girlfriend and I are heading out of town to see her sister for the long weekend, so I'm going to have a bit more enforced break. Already looking forward to getting back into things properly next week! 

2013-01-24 4:51 PM

User image

Veteran

Hey guys ... while its hard to be motivated for the season when it is 10 degrees out and you could freeze to death if you stood in the cold for an hour ... I got through my workouts yesterday and today ... how have you guys done with staying motivated??

Yesterday:

Swam first:  warmed up with 100 Free, 100 Breast, 100 Free and 100 Back

Did a drill set of 6 x 50 with the drill out on 25 and 25 free back ...

Did finger drag, arm switch w/3 count and then ^ kicks/1 pull (ctach up freestyle).

Switched to pull buoy and gloves and did 6 x 75 of breathing sets - first lap breathe every 3 strokes, 2nd lap every 5, third every 7 ... lungs scream during this set.

Wind down with 75 breast stroke, 75 back stroke, 50 butterfly ...

After the pool was home for an hour and 20 minutes on the bike - high cadence spin - just get the HR and sweat rolling.

Today was a new gym set followed by another torturous interval training on the treadmill.

Coach had me do this at the gym ... was smarter about weight this week and got burns on the final sets:

3 x 20 Cable Chops: High and Low  
21/15/9 Push Press  
21/15/9  Bench Press: Incline/Decline/Wide Grip  
21/15/9 Calf Raise
3 x 25 Vertical Knee Raise 
21/15/9 Hack Squats 
I suck at Vertical knee raises - chalk this up to my weak abdominals that are made out of surgical mesh - hope to improve.

Then back to the torture of Interval training ... 42 minutes and I was a puddle.  Definitely got a serious work out and I hope I am helping build my speed potential.

Rest day tomorrow - the last 2 days have been good and I am glad they are over :-)

2013-01-24 11:28 PM

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY
Well since we are talking about running this week ill talk about mine this morning.... it was horrible. I had to run on the dreadmill because it was 9red degrees outside and I'm not tough enough to run outside that cold. On Monday I did my run at 6.2mph and felt good, I pre previously was running at 6.0. I felt pretty good Monday so that is what I set my pace at today. My shins started hurting a few minutes in. It isn't right in the front, but more to the outside front of the shin, its muscle pain I think because it went away after I slept today. I have run through that a lot now and just assumed that it is just weak muscles from being out of shape. About 8 minutes in my left hip was hurting pretty bad. Then my left ankle. The pain was bad enough that I was afraid of really hurting myself if I kept running so I slowed it down to a walk 12 minutes into the run. I walked for 3 minutes then bumped it back up to 6.0 mph. I ran for 5 more minutes with pain in both shins both hips and my left ankle. I couldn't take it anymore and did my cooldown at that point. I usually don't count my warm up and cool down in my run time but had to today. I went home and went to bed and when I got up my shins are fine but my left ankle and left hip are both still hurting. As I sit here with my right leg across my other knee I can feel my right hip feeling kind of tight but it isn't bothering me when I walk like my left leg is.

I don't know if my form suffered from being so tired (work has been rough the past few days) or if my form has been bad all along and I am just logging enough time to feel the effects now. Anybody have any ideas what could cause these pains or what I could do to help?
2013-01-26 2:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Got in 30 mins endurance mode on a spin bike twice this week. Added some upper body work while I was there.

A slow start.

Plan this week -
Saturday - 30 mins. walk/jog
Sunday - weight day, whole body
Monday - swim
Tuesday - spin bike
Wednesday - walk/jog
Thursday - stationary bike
Friday - REST

Written down and posted on frig.

2013-01-26 7:37 PM

User image

Regular

Sorry, been off the net all week, very busy week.  Good for business though.  I feel for all of you up north and the weather, today was 49 and cloudy, just inbetween wearing some cold weather gear and not wearing any.  Decided not to wear any.  Good choice, cold at first but of course warmed up.  Bad thing today was when I got to the natatorium it was closed for a swim meet.  So here are my results:

39m13.28 miles20.43 Mi/hr 
Min HR: 80
Avg HR: 147
Max HR: 167

10:04 AM   [Lap data] 
52m 22s7.00 miles07m 29s/Mi 
Min HR: 105
Avg HR: 156
Max HR: 167

10:50 AM  

Very Happy with my bike, did a mixture of things including High spin drill 100 rpm 3 min, 110 rpm 2 min and 120 rpm 1 minute.  Felt good.  I was also happy with my run, kept my heart rate in High zone 2 and low zone 3 the whole time and was able to still average 7:29 miles.  If I run at the natatorium, which is where my next sprint tri is then the first part of the run is down hill and I get to run uphill back.  

Paul, That's a funny story about your run, but I've had days like that also, when you hope you can make it to a rest room, so far I've always been able to make it.  

Bulfrog: great job on the HIM, incredible story, very proud for you.

Tricupcake: Gotta love shin splints, I had some about a year ago and I went to a special chiropractor who's certified to work with Triathletes.  What he had me do is take a hard ball like a lacrosse ball and rub down my shins very hard.  Hurts like heck, but what causes shin splints is the facia pulling away the bone. (not sure that's a medical definition) so by rubbing the ball down your leg it breaks the fascia from the bone and helps get rid of shin splints.  Hope that helps.

Matt: good job on the swimming and fighting through.  Good to have another Texas guy on this blog

Brad: I hate it when the hips hurt, I have to work on mine every time.  I have a friend who is a MAT : Muscle Activation Trainer, They aren't cheap but well worth it to stay healed.

Muscle Momma: good luck on accomplishing your goals this week, setting the goals is half of the battle.

Gonna be another busy week, I have to travel Thursday through Sunday, so will only be able to run during those days.  

Everyone have a great week.

2013-01-27 6:57 AM
in reply to: #4596042

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
mharvey642 - 2013-01-26 7:37 PM

Tricupcake: Gotta love shin splints, I had some about a year ago and I went to a special chiropractor who's certified to work with Triathletes.  What he had me do is take a hard ball like a lacrosse ball and rub down my shins very hard.  Hurts like heck, but what causes shin splints is the facia pulling away the bone. (not sure that's a medical definition) so by rubbing the ball down your leg it breaks the fascia from the bone and helps get rid of shin splints.  Hope that helps.

That sounds like a special kind of torture.  I went and got new running shoes.  The guy at the store thought that the shin splints were caused by the motion control shoes I was wearing.  The video he made of me walking showed that my left arch stays in tact but my right arch collapses.  Today is the first day that I'll be on the treadmill so we'll see how it goes.  I'm hopeful

2013-01-27 7:18 PM
in reply to: #4593866

User image

Veteran
Brad - I hate hearing about pain - daily aches and tweaks are one thing but pain that is forcing you to stop means you should stop.  If I was you (and I am not a doctor) I would not run for a few days - not even attempt it - if you can get on a stationary bike and spin at high cadence then do that - if you can swim don't go hard.  We are early enough in the season that aches and pains can be managed with rest, ice and ibuprofen (for the most part).  Do not exasperate what already hurts by pushing it.  By all means if you HURT in your daily walking around get checked out.  
2013-01-27 7:26 PM
in reply to: #4595771

User image

Veteran
MuscleMomma - you have your plan so regardless of the speed of the start it looks solid.  I logged a bit over 8 hours of work this week ... when I "peak" I expect I will be logging 14-16 hours and I will be surly (and hopefully lean and ripped) but I need to stay grounded and keep priorities in perspective.  My family has to come first - my wife gets to dump ice cold water and yell "reality check" at me if I get too nutty (though I doubt it will get to that point) ... sorry for going off on a tangent but I like the workout plan on the fridge - I do that also and my wife adds on any family obligations that may conflict so I can make adjustments.
2013-01-27 7:38 PM

User image

Veteran

Mike - I went to swim on Saturday and the pool was closed for 7 hours for a swim meet - gotta hate that - only workout I missed this week.

Ended up doing a 10k run instead - we had snow and 20 degree temperatures on Saturday so I ran with my trail shoes and tried to avoid ice patches.  Surprisingly I was able to run an 8:50 pace for the whole run while watching the ground.  Breathing was difficult and the snow glare was a new challenge but I felt good.

This morning I ran a 5k race at a state park - set a new PR with my first ever sub-24 minute time ... came in at 23:14 and I think the trick was I never once looked at my watch to check HR or pace - each mile had a clock so I ran to race and I think in the future this will be my tactic for any run race 10k or less.  I started in the 8min corral and hit the first mile marker at 7:10 (gun time) very fast for me but I felt good and kept going.  The course was freezing cold (16 degrees or so) and rolling hills ... I found that I was moving up the pack and by mile 2 (14:28) I was with real runners and keeping pace.  I never did "fade" but I had no kick to increase pace and in the last 1/2 mile got passed by 10-12 people ... finished 78th overall out of 646 (1100 registered the cold kept alot home I guess), 7th in my age group out of 35.  To reward myself I went to the gym and worked on my obliques and did some lunges, shrugs and leg presses.

Big running day on tap for me tomorrow - 19 miles - should be running in the snow/sleet/freezing rain so it will be challenging, cold, and most likely test me mentally more than I want to be challenged.  Less than a month out for my first marathon which may have similar weather so I'll make the best of it. 

2013-01-27 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Kim - looking forward to hearing how you make out on the treadmill!
2013-01-27 9:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Paul,
You really rock! One thing I don't even have the desire to do is get over my fear of the cold - I am amazed at you guys who brave it.

Feel like it's been years since I ran. Got on the treadmill and spent 30 mins. jogging for 3-4 minutes/ brisk walking/jog.
I wasn't sucking wind so that was good though I'm back to my going up when I go down, and down when I go up.

Kim, Hope the new sneaks help.

Even when I don't comment, I'm keeping up with you all.

Mitzi

Edited by MuscleMomma 2013-01-27 9:16 PM
2013-01-27 11:18 PM

New user

I'm sorry I don't get on here much but work keeps me from having much free time. It is great to hear your stories and about your races. Congratulations Bullfrog on your HIM!

I have been keeping up with my workouts and have started to increase them since I feel like they are getting easier. I have not been able to run outside because of weather and work but have put in some time on the treadmill(which I hate). I have been doing well on my bike and have been able to get to the pool only a few times a week. The pool schedule and my schedule don't really match very well which isn't good since that is my weakest. when I am at work I can run around the block and if that isn't posible them I have to do eliptical and strength training with sprints up and down the halls.

can't wait for warmer weather so I can do everything outside on my schedule!

chuck(trucke)

2013-01-28 12:00 PM

New user

Roanoke, TX

Wow, it is very inspiring to read y'alls workouts. Doing wind sprints in the hallways at work, thats intense. I need to start hustling when I get up to go to the copier or a meeting from now on, knees to chest...knees to chest.

Last week was my best week of training yet. It was only the 2nd week, but it was a step up from the 1st. I got 2 swims, 2 bikes, 2 runs and 1 day of weights for about 5 hrs of workout time. Nutrition wise I had 4 good days, 1 ok day, and 2 bad days. The end result was that I lost 1 lb.

This week I hope to get in 2 swims, 3 bikes, 3 runs and 2 days of lifting. The goal is to incrementally improve upon the previous week in intensity and duration and minimize the bad nutrition days. Hopefully the Superbowl will be my only bad day.

Heres to the start of a great week.

-matt

2013-01-28 1:42 PM
in reply to: #4597003

User image

Regular
Georgetown, KY

BigPaulD - 2013-01-27 8:18 PM Brad - I hate hearing about pain - daily aches and tweaks are one thing but pain that is forcing you to stop means you should stop.  If I was you (and I am not a doctor) I would not run for a few days - not even attempt it - if you can get on a stationary bike and spin at high cadence then do that - if you can swim don't go hard.  We are early enough in the season that aches and pains can be managed with rest, ice and ibuprofen (for the most part).  Do not exasperate what already hurts by pushing it.  By all means if you HURT in your daily walking around get checked out.  

I was pretty discouraged Thusday with my run and the pain I was feeling. By Friday morning when I woke up I didn't have any pain walking around, other than sore muscles. On Saturday I went to a natural running form clinic and the instructor pointed out a few issues I was having with my stride that could be causing the pain. During the clinic I ran in Newton running shoes, and they work with my stride amazingly. I really enjoyed them. If I start getting pain again, I may go to those shoes instead of the Reebocks I am currently running in....

It just so worked out that my training plan actually put my running on hold for 6 days as it is my recovery week. I don't run again until Wednesday. I am going to give it a shot, and because the weather has warmed up, I'm getting off the treadmill to do the run. I have always had less pain on the road. I'll take it easy and focus on the pointers the run instructor gave me to aleviate the stresses on my hips and ankles. I also ordered a foam roller to work my sore muscles. I've heard from multiple people that it hurts like hell to do, but you come away feeling instantly better, hopefully I'll have the same outcome.

I haven't felt any pain for several days now, and it never affected my swim or bike. Hopefully I can start fresh Wednesday and keep making the progress I was before.

2013-01-28 2:42 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hi Everyone, 

Thanks for the kind words about my HIM. It's great to get the support. I'm looking forward to reading about your victories over the coming months. 

I've finished my post HIM week of being a sloth, only 1 swim, 1 run and 2 bikes, for 2.5 hours total. That's the least work I've done in a week since the start of 2012. So this week I'm getting back into the swing of things.  All going to plan I should be getting over 8 hours total. Which is not a huge amount compared to what I was doing per HIM, but is a good solid week. 

I'm also lining up a test ride on a new tri bike latter in the week. My current one is a size to small and I'm quite crunched up on it. It's got me through the HIM, which was it's job. But if i'm going to continue in this sport, which I am, I need something better. So I'm quite excited about that... 

2013-01-28 8:24 PM
in reply to: #4597025

User image

Regular
BigPaulD - 2013-01-27 7:38 PM

Mike - I went to swim on Saturday and the pool was closed for 7 hours for a swim meet - gotta hate that - only workout I missed this week.

Ended up doing a 10k run instead - we had snow and 20 degree temperatures on Saturday so I ran with my trail shoes and tried to avoid ice patches.  Surprisingly I was able to run an 8:50 pace for the whole run while watching the ground.  Breathing was difficult and the snow glare was a new challenge but I felt good.

This morning I ran a 5k race at a state park - set a new PR with my first ever sub-24 minute time ... came in at 23:14 and I think the trick was I never once looked at my watch to check HR or pace - each mile had a clock so I ran to race and I think in the future this will be my tactic for any run race 10k or less.  I started in the 8min corral and hit the first mile marker at 7:10 (gun time) very fast for me but I felt good and kept going.  The course was freezing cold (16 degrees or so) and rolling hills ... I found that I was moving up the pack and by mile 2 (14:28) I was with real runners and keeping pace.  I never did "fade" but I had no kick to increase pace and in the last 1/2 mile got passed by 10-12 people ... finished 78th overall out of 646 (1100 registered the cold kept alot home I guess), 7th in my age group out of 35.  To reward myself I went to the gym and worked on my obliques and did some lunges, shrugs and leg presses.

Big running day on tap for me tomorrow - 19 miles - should be running in the snow/sleet/freezing rain so it will be challenging, cold, and most likely test me mentally more than I want to be challenged.  Less than a month out for my first marathon which may have similar weather so I'll make the best of it. 

Great running Paul, congrats on the PR

2013-01-28 11:13 PM

User image

Hello TRI team!

Just wanted to state that today I had my inaugural 2013 workout.  Swam for ~700 yds, just a couple laps shy of the target 750, due to getting kicked out the pool since the facility was closing. 

OMG - do you lose it when you don't use it.  Felt it in my arms during the swim and legs during my kick drills. Looking forward to tri-ing again tomorrow.  Tomorrow is Moment of Truth, when I record my body specs.

Take care,

Edited by BiafraGirl 2013-01-28 11:13 PM
2013-01-29 2:48 AM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Nice job getting to the pool Ony. Good luck for your 'moment of truth'!

Solid day for me today. 20min jog before work, and 30km on the bike (about 63 minutes) in the evening. 

Back in the pool tomorrow... if I can get myself out of bed that is. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  

of 16