BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 45

2013-05-09 9:34 PM
in reply to: #4735736

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED

iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-09 6:45 PM Hi everyone! I'm on the sofa being a sloth after my workout & commute home. I have a bike training question. Is your time on the bike just straight riding? Or do you do a tabata/interval type thing? Climbs? I'm trying to figure out what to do when I'm on the bike. I've been doing a spin class for my "long" bike workout, but unsure what to do for my shorter workout. I'm still on a exerbike in the gym (getting my hybrid tuned-up this week). For the last 2 weeks I've just done a straight ride at 90RPM with a load I can manage that doesn't make me bounce in the seat.

Well me personally I just get on the bike and ride around town here around NYC mainly. It happens to offer a nice variety. I often cross several bridges into Manhattan and plenty of hills. I don't have a particular plan in place, but I sure find my routes quite challenging. I have come leaps and bounds in only 2 months or so and now when Im on flat roads I can get anywhere from 20 to 22 mph and possible more but I dont have a computer to see what current speed. I will be getting one soon, I use mapmyride and my iPhone.

2013-05-09 9:43 PM
in reply to: #4725832

I have a bunch of questions and I was thinking that maybe I will look up a local Triathlon and go as a spectator because I would love to see exactly what happens. I mean I know you jump in the water then do what I believe they call T1 to the bike and then T2 off the bike and start the run. But Im wondering a million things like :

How do you change for the initial jump in the water ?

Do you place everything on those racks before you venture out to the water ?

Once out of the water how do you get the sand of your feet ? I mean you cant possibly ride a bike and then run with sand in your Cycling cleats or in my case sneakers for both cycling and running.

Is one of those TRI suit that have no sleeves, the best option ?  If you wear one are the water resistant like a diving suit ? and do you have the ability to shower after getting out of the sea so the salt water doesn't cause rashes or ruin the bike ?

These are just some of the questions I have and perhaps somebody else might be wondering about some of these questions too. Does anybody have a link to a step by step video on youtube or the likes ?

2013-05-09 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4735927

User image

Extreme Veteran
ibr80 - 2013-05-09 9:43 PM

I have a bunch of questions and I was thinking that maybe I will look up a local Triathlon and go as a spectator because I would love to see exactly what happens. I mean I know you jump in the water then do what I believe they call T1 to the bike and then T2 off the bike and start the run. But Im wondering a million things like :

How do you change for the initial jump in the water ? A. - you wear what you are going to swim in to the event

Do you place everything on those racks before you venture out to the water ? A - yes, as a matter of fact you will have to have everything set up and be out of transition usually fifteen minutes before the first wave takes off.

Once out of the water how do you get the sand of your feet ? I mean you cant possibly ride a bike and then run with sand in your Cycling cleats or in my case sneakers for both cycling and running. A - Leave a towel in transition and maybe a small bottle of water to wash the sand off.

Is one of those TRI suit that have no sleeves, the best option ?  If you wear one are the water resistant like a diving suit ? and do you have the ability to shower after getting out of the sea so the salt water doesn't cause rashes or ruin the bike ? A - You have multiple options here, one piece tri suit, tri top and tri shorts, tri top and bike shorts, bike jersey and tri shorts, bike jersey and bike shorts, or the simple t shirt and shorts.  This is a matter of what your comfortable in, but I will tell you that alot of age groups prefer the Tri Top and Tri Shorts if for no other reason than it's easier to use the bath room.  No they are not water resistant (positive - helps to keep you cool at the start of the bike) Some events have water hoses at exit but they are usually the longer races and few and far between.

These are just some of the questions I have and perhaps somebody else might be wondering about some of these questions too. Does anybody have a link to a step by step video on youtube or the likes ?

I'm not going to get it all but here is an brief list of the days events.

1. Check In - Registration if not done the day before. This is also were you will be body marked with your race number.

2. Bike check - Usually races will check to make sure your bike is mechanically sound before letting you into transition.

3. Enter Transition - Rack your bike, set up your area, make sure you have your helmet, race number, cycling shoes, running shoes, sunglasses, water, everything you will need for the race.  You will not have a large area to put everything in and you will do so to the side of her bike. 

4. Meeting - the director will usually have a quick meeting to tell you that you better not have an Ipod on the course, swim waves, race rules and so forth.

5. Swim start - your wave will take off and you swim the distance.

6. T1 - Transition 1, you take off your googles, put on your race belt, helmet, shoes, glasses, grab your bike, and head out of T1.  There is always a designated Mount Line that is outside of T1, you can not get on your bike until this point.

7.  Go for your Bike Leg of Tri and Return.  At this point you will come to a Dismount Line, which you have to be off your bike before you can cross it and go into T2.

8. T2 Transition 2 - You come in rack your bike back in the same place and way (very important), take off your helmet, turn your race number to the front, change shoes if you need to and head out.

9. Run leg of the Tri - Follow the marked course to the finish line and then smile big for the Camera, you are a triathlete.

10. Go back into transition when it reopens (just like it closed at the start they do not open it back up for races to remove items until most have come in and out of T2 - Safety issue) and get your bike and belongings to leave.  This is also when the post race party and awards are taking place.

Obviously there is more, but this is a pretty good, brief overview of the days events.

Edited by Hunting Triathlete 2013-05-09 10:24 PM
2013-05-09 10:34 PM
in reply to: #4735985

Talk about painting a picture, thank you very much. One more thing... How does the chip and the timing situation work ? do they turn your time on the very second they release your wave, because I dont see anybody on the videos turn it on or what not ..???
2013-05-09 11:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pretty Much, not positive how, I just know they give me the timer and it works.
2013-05-09 11:19 PM
in reply to: #4735736

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-10 9:45 AM Hi everyone! I'm on the sofa being a sloth after my workout & commute home. I have a bike training question. Is your time on the bike just straight riding? Or do you do a tabata/interval type thing? Climbs? I'm trying to figure out what to do when I'm on the bike. I've been doing a spin class for my "long" bike workout, but unsure what to do for my shorter workout. I'm still on a exerbike in the gym (getting my hybrid tuned-up this week). For the last 2 weeks I've just done a straight ride at 90RPM with a load I can manage that doesn't make me bounce in the seat.

My bike rides are fairly simple, I've just been riding up and down our road. There's a good number of small hills, a few bigger ones if I feel so inclined, and as long as I go on a Sunday, not a lot of traffic. Some rides I take it easy and try to stay in zone 2, other rides I push it a bit harder. I'd be interested to hear what other people do, too, does anyone to stroke drills/specific technique work, or just get out there and pedal?

Edited by Taringa 2013-05-09 11:22 PM

2013-05-09 11:42 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

Right, I'm all fired up and motivated now (despite not doing any training!). The Queensland triathlon calendar is starting to fill out and I think I'm going to start with the Race 1 in the Gatorade series http://www.qldtriseries.com.au/, on the 22nd of September. It's a short distance to ease into it, 400m swim, 15km bike and 4km run, so should be good. And if I'm still keen after that there's a full sprint distance a week later LaughingLaughing.

It's still a long way off, but I'm pretty excited about itCool

2013-05-10 3:13 AM

User image

Co Louth, Ireland
Hey guys, you're getting a great mentor here who will inspire & encourage you all the way to achieving your goals. Best of luck with everything & most importantly enjoy it!
2013-05-10 12:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
ibr80 - 2013-05-09 10:43 PM

Once out of the water how do you get the sand of your feet ? I mean you cant possibly ride a bike and then run with sand in your Cycling cleats or in my case sneakers for both cycling and running.

Is one of those TRI suit that have no sleeves, the best option ?  If you wear one are the water resistant like a diving suit ? and do you have the ability to shower after getting out of the sea so the salt water doesn't cause rashes or ruin the bike ?

Todd gave some great answers! I think going to a tri is the absolute best way to see what it's all about. I did my first (and only so far) tri last August and beforehand went to volunteer at a race in June that was held at the same park mine was. I volunteered to be in the transition area because that was the part which was most baffling for me. I talked to people before the race as they were setting up and found endurance athletes are some of the nicest people around. They showed me how they set up transition and why and I even took pictures of a few different arrangements to help me decide how I wanted to set up. I also practiced transitions in my house (you'll look like a weirdo). I put on my race gear and got in the shower, then ran from my bathroom to my transition setup in the living room (still wet) then rode my bike around my house, came back to transition, changed and ran around my house. It helped me get more comfortable and you learn pretty quickly which things make sense in your head but not in practice. 

2013-05-10 12:24 PM
in reply to: #4734429

User image

Veteran
Louisville
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Open
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-09 7:39 AM
Rnay225 - 2013-05-08 8:26 PM

KaraSchmitz - 2013-05-07 11:26 PM I just went through my second degree as well, and I will start grad school in August.  What program are you in?

I'll be at Texas Woman's University for a BS in Nutrition with an emphasis in Dietetics. What are you studying?

Hey Rennay! I'm a Dietetics student too! Love your blog

Thank you! I'm not starting until fall so I may need some help!

2013-05-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #4734393

User image

Veteran
Louisville
RZ0 - 2013-05-09 6:41 AM

Scrolled through these and noticed a lot of people fairly green to swimming, but didn't notice if anyone had posted the link to the 0-to-1650 in six weeks site: http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html

It's probably the best site for beginner workouts. You'll see a lot of references to it on this web site. The first set of workouts does exactly what it says, gets a person from not swimming regularly to swimming a mile in six weeks. I've done it as have many others. It really works!

I swim a lot and think that a triathlete needs to be able to swim a mile, even if their event is only a sprint of 400 yards. Open water is very different from a pool - the lack of a stripe on the bottom makes it hard to swim straight, so the distance may be marked as 400 but you'll really swim like 500 or more.

Also, if you can swim a mile, you'll have a lot more confidence that you can conquer the shorter distance, and confidence is very important.

I have this plan printed out and in page protectors but have never made it through. I always start it and then something happens that messes up the schedule and I stop. I'm going to get through it before the summer is over though, I'm determined! 

2013-05-10 12:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
How do I send an inspire?
2013-05-10 12:52 PM
in reply to: #4736735

User image

Extreme Veteran

Rnay225 - 2013-05-10 12:31 PM How do I send an inspire?

Great Question,

You go to the person's name and click on it, which will take you to their training log.  This is why I had you add everyone to your friends list because you can find everyone there.  When their log opens, you will see inspire () to the side of the date.  Just click on on the word, a new window will open, type in your message and then hit submit.  Once you do this it is there and will also show up on that persons board in the top left corner when they log in.  They can click on it and it takes them straight to your inspire. 

2013-05-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: #4736034

User image

Extreme Veteran
Taringa - 2013-05-09 11:42 PM

Right, I'm all fired up and motivated now (despite not doing any training!). The Queensland triathlon calendar is starting to fill out and I think I'm going to start with the Race 1 in the Gatorade series http://www.qldtriseries.com.au/, on the 22nd of September. It's a short distance to ease into it, 400m swim, 15km bike and 4km run, so should be good. And if I'm still keen after that there's a full sprint distance a week later LaughingLaughing.

It's still a long way off, but I'm pretty excited about itCool

Get after itSmile, sign up and then you have that goal several months from now to look forward to, and can always do one sooner if you feel ready.

2013-05-10 1:56 PM
in reply to: #4734713

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Long post sorry!!

NAME: Lovey / Tracy

STORY: I have always been fat. Yes, I said it, FAT! I never ran, swam or even knew how to bike as a kid. After deciding, I was tired of being fat, I signed up for a triathlon in 2008 to force me to train. Thinking running would be the hardest, I started Couch to 5k in Feb 2008. A month later I joined my local running club and their beginning running group. I never did the triathlon that year but found I loved running and ran/walked several 5Ks, an 8k and a 10K my first year. I learned to ride a bike that year as well. It is daunting learning to ride as an adult.

After finally running a 5K without stopping, I attempted my first triathlon in August 2009. I was pulled from the race for not completing the swim in time. I signed up for swim training at the YMCA with a triathlon coach and completed 2 sprints in 2010. Since then I have done several more 5Ks plus numerous 10 milers and half marathon and a couple of triathlons and one duathlon. I even did a full marathon in 2011 with a stress fracture. I dropped from an 18/20 to a size 12. Due to my injury, i had to take summer and most of fall off. My weight climbed as my fitness plummeted. The end of 2011, I started training again with friends and I was doing well all thru early 2012. April 2012, I did a 10 miler, 10k then a half marathon all in the same month and felt like they were my best runs even if they were not my fastest. 2 weeks later, on Mother’s day 2012, I wiped out on my bike and I shattered my left ankle. Surgery (8 screws and a plate) and rehab followed, as I spent the rest of 2012 recovering and learning to walk again. As least my legs are even now since I had broken my right leg as a kid when a drunk driver ran the sidewalk and hit as I was getting off the school bus.

Now I am starting over, trying to pace myself to avoid injury, and enjoy myself along the way. I have even been taking my 14 year old with me during some of my training.

FAMILY STATUS: Married with two very active boys, 14 and 10 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING:

RUNNING: Just started the Baltimore Women’s Classic 5k training on April 30th. We meet 1x week and I train with friends 2 other days following the program they gave us. 3 runs a week is my goal.

SWIMMING: I try to get in 2 swims per week. One swim is with the Development Masters Swim group. Don’t worry, I am the slowest in the pool but I am ok as long as I improve.

BIKING: I haven’t been to spin class in a while but hope to start again by the end of the month. I am not cleared to bike outside but hopefully before summer is over.

STRENGTH/OTHER: I currently do a 5:30am outdoor boot camp 4x a week. My older son and husband do this with me as well. Once it ends this month, I will go back to spinning and body pump (strength class).

THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year, I am focused on getting stronger more than racing. Starting over sucks but I have a lot of support. So far, I did my local running store anniversary run last month. I plan to do the Color Run 5k on May 11th and the Baltimore Women’s 5k on June 23rd. By the end of this year, I hope to do the Marine Corp 10K. Last year was the first time I missed it in 5 years.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has always been an issue. I started run/walk in 2008, running in 2009 and by 2010 I was fitter stronger and 4 sizes smaller. My goal is to lose about 40 pounds and drop to a size 10, whichever comes first.

WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Accountability, motivation, challenge and knowledge. I want to inspire and be inspired by others.

2013-05-10 1:58 PM

User image

New user
Hey everyone! TGIF! Thanks for the responses re: bike workouts. I'm trying to get my bike to the shop today for a tune-up so I can just get on it. Haven't ridden it in just about 1 year.

Another bike question: I have a hybrid (I think) bike & no big money to purchase anything else right now so it's what I'm going with. It's mainly been used for getting around my neighborhood (runs to the store, post office, etc). I'm thinking I should do the following to it at tune-up since I'll be racing with it: get the lock holder removed, get the kick stand removed, get the bell removed (I love my bell!), purchase a water bottle holder & get it attached. Any thoughts?

Also, while I'm trying my best to not go broke buying stuff for triathlon, I'm going to have to get some padded shorts. Oy! That ride from yesterday is still painful *there* today ;-)

2013-05-10 2:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I wouldn't say that you have to remove the lock holder and especially not the bell.  If you like it, they'll love it, and if they don't, then their probably not having fun.  (you're really not going to get any noticable difference is speed by taking them off, so it is your call)  I would say that yes a water bottle holder and bottle would be a great idea.  I would also tell you to get a small bike bag (usually under $20) and put a spare tube, allen wrench set, CO2 cartridges, and the value to use the cartridge for, in case you get a flat during your ride and / or need to make minor bike repairs.
2013-05-10 2:31 PM
in reply to: #4736905

User image

Rensselaer, New York
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-10 2:58 PM Hey everyone! TGIF! Thanks for the responses re: bike workouts. I'm trying to get my bike to the shop today for a tune-up so I can just get on it. Haven't ridden it in just about 1 year.

Another bike question: I have a hybrid (I think) bike & no big money to purchase anything else right now so it's what I'm going with. It's mainly been used for getting around my neighborhood (runs to the store, post office, etc). I'm thinking I should do the following to it at tune-up since I'll be racing with it: get the lock holder removed, get the kick stand removed, get the bell removed (I love my bell!), purchase a water bottle holder & get it attached. Any thoughts?

Also, while I'm trying my best to not go broke buying stuff for triathlon, I'm going to have to get some padded shorts. Oy! That ride from yesterday is still painful *there* today ;-)

Now I HAVE to get a bell for my bike, when I buy one.

2013-05-10 2:34 PM
in reply to: #4736900

User image

Extreme Veteran

Lovey - 2013-05-10 1:56 PM Long post sorry!! NAME: Lovey / Tracy STORY: I have always been fat. Yes, I said it, FAT! I never ran, swam or even knew how to bike as a kid. After deciding, I was tired of being fat, I signed up for a triathlon in 2008 to force me to train. Thinking running would be the hardest, I started Couch to 5k in Feb 2008. A month later I joined my local running club and their beginning running group. I never did the triathlon that year but found I loved running and ran/walked several 5Ks, an 8k and a 10K my first year. I learned to ride a bike that year as well. It is daunting learning to ride as an adult. After finally running a 5K without stopping, I attempted my first triathlon in August 2009. I was pulled from the race for not completing the swim in time. I signed up for swim training at the YMCA with a triathlon coach and completed 2 sprints in 2010. Since then I have done several more 5Ks plus numerous 10 milers and half marathon and a couple of triathlons and one duathlon. I even did a full marathon in 2011 with a stress fracture. I dropped from an 18/20 to a size 12. Due to my injury, i had to take summer and most of fall off. My weight climbed as my fitness plummeted. The end of 2011, I started training again with friends and I was doing well all thru early 2012. April 2012, I did a 10 miler, 10k then a half marathon all in the same month and felt like they were my best runs even if they were not my fastest. 2 weeks later, on Mother’s day 2012, I wiped out on my bike and I shattered my left ankle. Surgery (8 screws and a plate) and rehab followed, as I spent the rest of 2012 recovering and learning to walk again. As least my legs are even now since I had broken my right leg as a kid when a drunk driver ran the sidewalk and hit as I was getting off the school bus. Now I am starting over, trying to pace myself to avoid injury, and enjoy myself along the way. I have even been taking my 14 year old with me during some of my training. FAMILY STATUS: Married with two very active boys, 14 and 10 years old. CURRENT TRAINING: RUNNING: Just started the Baltimore Women’s Classic 5k training on April 30th. We meet 1x week and I train with friends 2 other days following the program they gave us. 3 runs a week is my goal. SWIMMING: I try to get in 2 swims per week. One swim is with the Development Masters Swim group. Don’t worry, I am the slowest in the pool but I am ok as long as I improve. BIKING: I haven’t been to spin class in a while but hope to start again by the end of the month. I am not cleared to bike outside but hopefully before summer is over. STRENGTH/OTHER: I currently do a 5:30am outdoor boot camp 4x a week. My older son and husband do this with me as well. Once it ends this month, I will go back to spinning and body pump (strength class). THIS YEAR'S RACES: This year, I am focused on getting stronger more than racing. Starting over sucks but I have a lot of support. So far, I did my local running store anniversary run last month. I plan to do the Color Run 5k on May 11th and the Baltimore Women’s 5k on June 23rd. By the end of this year, I hope to do the Marine Corp 10K. Last year was the first time I missed it in 5 years. WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has always been an issue. I started run/walk in 2008, running in 2009 and by 2010 I was fitter stronger and 4 sizes smaller. My goal is to lose about 40 pounds and drop to a size 10, whichever comes first. WHAT YOU HOPE TO GET FROM THE GROUP: Accountability, motivation, challenge and knowledge. I want to inspire and be inspired by others.

Tracy, welcome to the group. (Tracy was the one more I was referring to, she lurked and asked to join just after the group closed becuase she liked what she saw - beautiful turtles)

Seriously though, we are happy to have you and I applaud your for your desire to continue this lifestyle through everything you've experienced.  I believe that you are taking the right approach about getting back slowly and trying to ensure you do so pain free.  Do you think some of your previous  injuries were related to over use or doing to much to quick?  I've heard those boot camps can be a sweat fest, and especially like that you and the family are involved together.  Again welcome to the group and don't worry I will hold you especially accountable since we took you in the supplemental draft after we closed.Wink

2013-05-10 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Hi everyone!! I'm sorry about not posting for a few days. It's been hectic at work and a girls gotta sleep!!

While reading through the posts I wanted to make a few comments.

For swimming I use Swimplan.com it will slow you to customize your work outs. Just a thought.

In regards to clipping in and out I could not agree more to using a trainer first. I did not and got hit by a car my first time out! Ouch!!!

Ok so on to my training. It was raining today so I did a 2 mile run on the dreaded treadmill. I set the pace 0.3 faster than I normally run to try to increase my speed.

My time with the weights went great! Meet up with a friend and we pushed eachother past our perceived limits. Gonna be sore tomorrow.

Swim felt terrible. My times where normal for me but I just felt like I spent more time and energy floundering around than actually moving forward. Anyone else have those days? Just very frustrating.

Beth
2013-05-10 3:15 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Hi Tracy, you've certainly got some grit and determination to stick it out through all those troubles and injuries! With a track record like that I have no doubt you'll be at the Marine Corp 10kSmile, The trick is just to make haste slowly and not get re-injured, isn't it? I've only had 2 injuries so far in my short training career, and it can get so frustrating when recovering,  feeling like you can do more but knowing that's a very bad idea.

2013-05-10 3:20 PM
in reply to: #4736950

User image

Extreme Veteran
MJSolt - 2013-05-10 2:31 PM
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-10 2:58 PM Hey everyone! TGIF! Thanks for the responses re: bike workouts. I'm trying to get my bike to the shop today for a tune-up so I can just get on it. Haven't ridden it in just about 1 year.

Now I HAVE to get a bell for my bike, when I buy one.

Of course you do, and I know of the perfect bell for you!

2013-05-10 3:22 PM
in reply to: #4736905

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
iamDawnAnderson - 2013-05-11 4:58 AM Hey everyone! TGIF! Thanks for the responses re: bike workouts. I'm trying to get my bike to the shop today for a tune-up so I can just get on it. Haven't ridden it in just about 1 year.

I have an old and fairly heavy mountain bike (saving up for a lightweight tri bike but it's at least a year off) and I've just been busy attatching things to it. Lights front and back, saddle pack with tyre and levers, extra reflective tape here and there. I already have a pump, water bottle cage, kickstand and bell, I'm keeping it all on as it's useful when I'm out riding. When it gets to race time I can just take the stuff off I don't need and put it back on again after. I do need to get it serviced at the local bike shop, the gears are a bit out of alignment (been dropped a few times Embarassed).

2013-05-10 3:24 PM

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
That's very cool! I need one!Laughing
2013-05-10 3:25 PM

User image

New user

Colorado
ibr80 - 2013-05-09 8:43 PM

You may also check with your local bike or tri shops.  I know of at least one place here in Denver that does transition clinics.  I have not attended one yet since I just started training, but basically they have you bring all of your race day gear, help you lay everything out efficiently, and have you practice over and over switching between legs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles - (Beginners, Sprint, 5K, 10K) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 45