BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-08 11:10 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Subject: Rough exercise week
I have not worked out since Sunday. Between kids schedules, working overtime, lack of motivation to run in 1 degree weather, it's been a rough 3 days.
I plan to get back on the wagon tomorrow or Friday. I have a training plan of sorts and training buddies for each discipline.

SWIM- 3x a week. Twice with the Developmental Masters Swim group and once on my one. On the day, I swim on my own, I am going to follow the "swim zero to one mile in 6 weeks program" http://ruthkazez.com/ZeroTo1mile.html. It will take me more than 6 weeks to swim a mile but once finished, I hope to swim 1 mile straight once a week.

BIKE - 2-3x a week. Spin class until the weather warms. Class is either 45 minutes or an hour.

RUN - 3x a week. Long runs are at 6 miles right now. Will use a modified Hal Higdon half marathon program I've used before. Build really slowly as my anticipated race is not until April 27th.

ST - 2x a week using Body Pump plus the 30 day ABs challenge I am doing this month.

Yoga - I cannot fit anything else in my schedule without having 3 workouts a day. I am going to have to do mini yoga at home like an extended stretching session. I have one rest day in my schedule and considering doing Bikram Yoga (hot yoga) on that day. IF I do yoga, I think I can still consider it a rest day, right?

Edited by Lovey 2014-01-08 11:14 PM

2014-01-09 7:02 AM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: My Week
Originally posted by Just_Kelly

??? - How do you all deal with sore muscles?

I'm guessing you missed my post or didn't like my answer. Here it is again + 1 more thing -

For some it's Ice for others it's Heat - Find out which works best for you. The best piece of advice I can give you is to get some protein in you within thirty minutes after a hard workout. This can be in the form of a Protein Shake or as simple as Chocolate Milk. Just remember the more protein you take in the more water you need to drink. The plus 1 comment would be foam rollers, I have never used one but people rave about how much they help with sore muscles.
2014-01-09 7:05 AM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

, New Jersey
Impressive week! Keep up the good work!
2014-01-09 3:41 PM
in reply to: anttam11

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Rescued from Page 2
Alright now,

This is the first time that I have ever had to rescue a Turtle group from the second page. Let's not be making a habit of this We can only make it to the second page by being one of the least active groups on BT. We might be slow as the Turtle, but we have to come out of our shells from time to time. This is another reason why I am thinking about opening the group up again to get some more people in to keep everything active.
2014-01-09 4:17 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

User image

Originally posted by Hunting Triathlete

Originally posted by Just_Kelly

??? - How do you all deal with sore muscles?

I'm guessing you missed my post or didn't like my answer. Here it is again + 1 more thing -

For some it's Ice for others it's Heat - Find out which works best for you. The best piece of advice I can give you is to get some protein in you within thirty minutes after a hard workout. This can be in the form of a Protein Shake or as simple as Chocolate Milk. Just remember the more protein you take in the more water you need to drink. The plus 1 comment would be foam rollers, I have never used one but people rave about how much they help with sore muscles.

Sorry! Didn't see your initial response. Thank you for the feedback!
2014-01-09 4:54 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

New user

Winter Springs, Florida
Subject: RE: Rough exercise week
Great training schedule!! I know how kids, work or just life itself can interrupt our schedules. But you are already working to fix that, that is great. I need to get my scheduled completed and on track. Your buddie idea is great, I think I need some buddies.

2014-01-09 7:07 PM

User image

Subject: Training programs
Morning all,

Juggling a new puppy is making life interesting but managed to duck out for a swim this morning.

Curious to know if any of you are following training programs from this site and if so which ones and what week you are on?

I'm doing the Couch to Sprint and i'm half way through week 3. I have altered the program a bit, I'm not doing the run portion of this training program but rather using the C2K app on my phone.
2014-01-09 7:41 PM
in reply to: Grilledmonkey

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Training programs
I everyone!! Today was my first day of doing double training. So first a 2100 meter swim followed by 30 min of bike trainer time simulating hills. Yeah my legs are sore!!!! Going to be funny watching me run in the morning.

Beth
2014-01-09 8:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Grilledmonkey

Morning all,

Juggling a new puppy is making life interesting but managed to duck out for a swim this morning.

Curious to know if any of you are following training programs from this site and if so which ones and what week you are on?

I'm doing the Couch to Sprint and i'm half way through week 3. I have altered the program a bit, I'm not doing the run portion of this training program but rather using the C2K app on my phone.

I can't say I use or have used a particular plan from BY but can tell you that I have taken pieces of many here on BY and made my own. I don't really have it down on paper but it works. I basically swim bike and run three times each during the week, short medium and long.
2014-01-09 8:27 PM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hubbie

I everyone!! Today was my first day of doing double training. So first a 2100 meter swim followed by 30 min of bike trainer time simulating hills. Yeah my legs are sore!!!! Going to be funny watching me run in the morning.

Beth

Now you've given me something to chuckle about tomorrow when I picture you kind of duck waddling down the road
2014-01-09 8:30 PM
in reply to: dwilling

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by dwilling

Great training schedule!! I know how kids, work or just life itself can interrupt our schedules. But you are already working to fix that, that is great. I need to get my scheduled completed and on track. Your buddie idea is great, I think I need some buddies.

Getting a schedule worked out is always the hardest thing, followed by developing the routine of working out. After those it's pretty much all fun work. I can't remember when your inspire said your tri was? Feel free to throw it out there for all of us to know and help you get to, so exciting!

2014-01-09 10:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Originally posted by dwilling

Getting a schedule worked out is always the hardest thing, followed by developing the routine of working out. After those it's pretty much all fun work. I can't remember when your inspire said your tri was? Feel free to throw it out there for all of us to know and help you get to, so exciting!

I got a good run in tonight. It felt good and slow but I was going a minute per mile faster than I felt.
Hubby plays racquetball and his friends all cancelled tonight. I volunteered to play. It was fun and I got a good work out in but after 35 minutes, I was tired.

I am contemplating a half marathon in the spring but reluctant to sign up as my hips and ankle get really sore lately after long runs. Want to make sure I can handle it.

So far I am signed up for the following:
Maryland Women's Duathlon on August 3, 2014 (run 2 miles, bike 13 miles, run 2 miles)
Iron Girl Columbia Triathlon on August 17, 2014 (lake swim .62 miles, bike hilly 16 miles, run 3.4 hilly miles)

I plan to train on the Duathlon bike course as it is more challenging.
I will ride the Iron Girl old course as it has less traffic than the new course and doesn't cross a major road.

I want to do an early summer triathlon to test the waters. There are several within a hour radius of my house.

I need a spring goal as it makes training more doable.

2014-01-10 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Subject: RE: Super Sore
Aloha

sympathise with you here. Just take it slow and easy and have a couple of rest and recover days. You'll soon be going at it better than before.
2014-01-10 8:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay

Morning all,

WelI am doing the modified Couch to 5k run program. Working out well so far on week 2 so far. Thinking of doing a sprint programme from the end of March though
2014-01-10 10:17 AM

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed at the Moment
A question on training plans

Hi all,

I have a question for the panel of experts.

I'm after some advice and insights about selecting a training plan. It is only January and I am not looking to complete a triathlons until about September
or October at the very earliest. This is partly due to a long term back issue I have to monitor as I train but also because I am unfit and need the initiation and base phase to be a little longer.

Here is what I am thinking of doing. There is a new plan to get a person from no base fitness up to doing a half sprint distance in 10 weeks. All going well I was going to link this to the couch to sprint immediately following. This gives 22 weeks training to get me to a sprint distance in terms of fitness level.

My question is this. Do I give this longer approach a go or do I just jump into the sprint to couch and run through that one twice (26 weeks training) to get a good base fitness? Either will give me time to learn to swim more efficiently and learn bike handling skills and greatly reduces my chances of having my injury flare up.

Suggestions and advice please.

Michael
2014-01-10 10:31 AM
in reply to: Mikey73

User image

Subject: Training Plan
Great question Mikey! Looking forward to seeing responses!

2014-01-10 11:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

Morning all,

Not a training plan specifically. I have done the BT "Beginner Cycling program" before (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1671)
It is hard to follow a plan since I do group training. I just do what the coaches say.
2014-01-10 12:35 PM

Grand Junction, Colorado
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed at the Moment
Did get some swimming and running in this week. As I mentioned before on the swimming, I'm using the TI info and I will say that after 30 minutes in the pool, after which I did a 10 min bike, I really wasn't tired or sore at all. Not I'm not going very fast or anything, but was happy to note that I didn't feel any ill effects immediately after. Just got the TI DVD and book from the library so I'll be looking into that. Hopefully it warms up a little here (CO) so I can ride a real bike on the road someday....
2014-01-10 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Originally posted by Mikey73

Hi all,

I'm after some advice and insights about selecting a training plan. It is only January and I am not looking to complete a triathlons until about September
or October at the very earliest. This is partly due to a long term back issue I have to monitor as I train but also because I am unfit and need the initiation and base phase to be a little longer.

Here is what I am thinking of doing. There is a new plan to get a person from no base fitness up to doing a half sprint distance in 10 weeks. All going well I was going to link this to the couch to sprint immediately following. This gives 22 weeks training to get me to a sprint distance in terms of fitness level.

My question is this. Do I give this longer approach a go or do I just jump into the sprint to couch and run through that one twice (26 weeks training) to get a good base fitness? Either will give me time to learn to swim more efficiently and learn bike handling skills and greatly reduces my chances of having my injury flare up.

Michael

Yes, you can do the Couch to Sprint then the 10 week sprint. I would prefer that than doing the first one twice because you would be starting over.

However, would it be easier to just follow a 22 week plan like the Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week - www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=22&memberlevel=1#
That plan assumes you are coming from 0 base as well.
2014-01-10 6:59 PM
in reply to: Lovey

User image

Veteran
Originally posted by Lovey

Originally posted by Mikey73

Hi all,

Michael

Yes, you can do the Couch to Sprint then the 10 week sprint. I would prefer that than doing the first one twice because you would be starting over.

However, would it be easier to just follow a 22 week plan like the Michael Pates Total Sprint - 22 Week - www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/training/training-plans-view.asp?planid=22&memberlevel=1#
That plan assumes you are coming from 0 base as well.

I'm of the same opinion here too. I'd rather link the two plans that way I'm not starting all over and have to go from having fitness to basically starting over at the no fitness level. Also if you do the two linked and you find that its to hard you can always repeat the first one. This will give you more control and more more options in your training. Best of luck to you!!!

Beth
2014-01-11 4:17 AM
in reply to: Hubbie

User image

Gold Coast, Australia

+1 to what Beth and Lovey both said. No point doing the one plan twice, but just aim for a slow and steady increase over the 22 weeks. With a zero base and back issues, just be sure to take it easy, you don't have to be doing fast work or a lot of hills to get the fitness you'll need to complete a sprint. Do you have a core strength plan (pilates, physio, etc) as well?

2014-01-11 6:34 AM
in reply to: Taringa

User image

New user

Hi,

I don't have a specific core strength program planned but it is probably a good suggestion. Thanks to everyone for your input. It has been helpful

Michale
2014-01-11 9:21 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Mike, your question was already answered quit well before I got a chance. I agree with everyone else, either do the two different programs or do the 22 week program that Tracy (Lovey) suggested. The think with any plan you look at is to look at the first week and asked yourself, can I do this week rather easily and with little to no chance of injuring myself. Then look at week two and see if the same applies with your body after Week 1. If both are a go then you can likely handle that program. It will never hurt you to start off to slow, but it can dang sure hurt you and get you burned out to do to much to fast.
2014-01-11 9:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Opened Back Up)
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have decided to open the group back up for at least this weekend. I have received no responses via PM or Inspire from any of the other subjects that originally wanted to join and do not want to prevent others that may want to join from doing so. I also believe that the extra people will help to make this a more fluid and supportive group.

2014-01-11 10:24 AM

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Opened Back Up)

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have decided to open the group back up for at least this weekend. I have received no responses via PM or Inspire from any of the other subjects that originally wanted to join and do not want to prevent others that may want to join from doing so. I also believe that the extra people will help to make this a more fluid and supportive group.

I was in Todd's group last year and am lurking this year and want to encourage any fence-sitters. The relaxed, nurturing environment you've noticed so far is exactly what makes Todd's groups great. So if you are thinking about joining, I'm here to tell you that you'll be doing the right thing.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.