BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-21 1:44 AM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

Chelmsford, England
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (AJAR)
Originally posted by el penguino

so, I went for a run today. I was using 2 different programs to run the GPS on my Ipod, one wasn't getting enough of a signal but the other did, go figure. Anyway, it wasn't linked directly to my runkeeper account so I entered the miles, time and map manually. The miles I entered by tracing my route on the map were less than the distance the GPS program showed me. I had noticed this before- has anyone else? I was wondeirng why? Is it because people just don't normally run super straight, so they pick up a little bit here and there? Or the mileage via map isn't quite right? Which should I trust?

I run 2 programs when I run and always take the longer one, lol. but seriously don't get hung up on a certain mileage as long as you are out there doing it.
if you want to set your programs you can always take the car out to set the distance then run it and adjust to get it right.

2014-01-21 1:54 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Chelmsford, England
now that the group is closed I have finalised the group table.

morning guys, for anybody that is unaware of how we can help each other out with this table. the links will take you to each of the groups training log where you can leave inspires, be it words of wisdom, congratulations or encouragement.

for this to work your training log needs to be updated and open for all to see

to do this go into your settings / training log settings / privacy / everyone can view or only my friends can view

now if you highlight the box below and go to your own training log then training blog and click on the edit dashboard and paste it in there they are all hyperlinked to everybodys training log.

Edited by Jynxy 2014-01-21 10:22 AM
2014-01-21 6:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi all,

I realise that I'm super late in jumping into a team but I wondered if I might join in? I've been in tri's for a number of years now but recent weight gain has meant I've lost a lot of confidence and would love to join a mentor team to try to help me through this. If you'll have me I'll post a more full biog.

Pretty please )

Edit: just re read the bit about needing to be a beginner, ahh well I'll slope off to a corner and try to find another group.

Kate

Edited by Kate_r 2014-01-21 6:19 AM
2014-01-21 6:49 AM
in reply to: Kate_r

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

All,

Shall we welcome Colleen and Kate to the group?  With that, I'll go ahead and CLOSE the group. 

Kate, as I said in my bio, I want this group to focus on people starting to make lifestyle changes.  Even though you have more than 5 months experience, you're trying to make the lifestyle changes just like others in the group, and if you want to join, I'll accept you.  (Hey...it was my rule to begin with, so it's my option to change it, isn't it?

As I said in an earlier post, while the group is named after me, it isn't "My group" it's Your GROUP!  I'll do administrative things, and Kim and I will do our best to inspire and answer questions.  Collectively, you have already started to answer questions for one another, which is great!  Please keep doing so.  Keep inspiring one another also.  While the mentor program is structured to be 3 months long, there are no "rules" that the group must disband at that anniversary.  If I am successful as a mentor, at the end of 3 months, the group will be self-sustaining.  The group can live for 6 months or a year or longer.  I have met a few proteges from my earlier groups, sometimes a year or two later.  (Jo-Anne, I'd like to run Comrades.  I was signed up to run it in 2013, but life changed and I wasn't in a position to make the trip.  Maybe I'll recruit a friend or two for the trip and would certainly appreciate a personal welcome to RSA.

2014-01-21 7:26 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Yay! I got in! OK here goes
NAME: Kate

STORY: I am 41 and have been competing in triathlons for about 7 years (eek is it that long). I am about as far away from a 'natural' athlete as you can get, I avoided all sport (apart from swimming) as a kid and only took it up as an adult. I've spent most of my adult life plagued by a constant weight loss and gain depending on the crisis or lack of that I'm going through. I'm really determined to see if I can crack it for good. I love the water and swimming's probably my favorite of the 3, I've been told I'm a strong cyclist and I'm a sloooooowwwwww runner. I really suffer from a lack of self confidence and it's this that holds me back more than anything else. If I could find a way to change this then it would be great. Other than tri I work in high growth tech venture creation which is a new job since Nov 13 and super exciting but it does involve travel which hampers the training somewhat.

FAMILY STATUS: My husband decided he didn't want to be with me any more in Nov 2012 so last year was a big one for me and I'm waiting for the divorce papers any day now. I've not let his choices hold me back and I'm moving through my brand new adventure of a life with gusto and enthusiasm as I've never been single before.

CURRENT TRAINING: I do about 3 bike sessions, 4 runs and 2 swims a week. The run's are a commitment with an online motivational too call jantastic (www.jantastic.me if you want to take a look).

2013 RACES: 2 x 1/2 marathon, 1 x novice/sprint, 1 x sprint, 1 x Olympic, 1 x HIM

2014 RACES: 2 x 1/2 marathons, 1 x sprint and maybe 2 HIM

2015 RACES: who knows!

WEIGHTLOSS: This is a big focus of mine, I've put on about 35 lbs (20 in the last year) compared to a few years ago and I'm really trying to shift it. I'm doing a combination of paleo and calorie counting and it's working well so far. I've decided not to weigh more than once a month to try and lessen my emotional addiction to the scale and weight, about 2 weeks in so far so I'm doing OK.

Thanks for having me and any questions let me know!

Edited by Kate_r 2014-01-21 9:26 AM
2014-01-21 9:02 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Thanks Kate,

(this is for everyone)

The human mind is incredible in its ability to resolve inconsistencies between reality and what replays in our heads.  If you're focused or thinking about what you have been, your mind will try to get reality to line up to eliminate the discomfort of inconsistency.  This is how people get trapped into perpetual weight struggles or poverty or misery.  If you've "always been X" your mind wants to make that true whether X is fat or an uncoordinated/pathetic athlete or broke or dumb. 

You can harness this capability to achieve what you want for the future too.  Instead of focusing on what you have been, focus on what you want to be, and start doing the things that support that new vision of yourself.  (If you missed my post on page 2 of this thread, make sure you read it.

Be confident!  Be confident you can swim.  Be confident you can bike.  Be confident you can run.  Be confident you can weigh a healthy weight.  Be confident you can make the eating choices that support a healthy weight (no matter what crisis you are facing). 

If you've been told you are a strong cyclist, accept that gift graciously rather than doubt the compliment.  Use that confidence to become a runner that doesn't use the adverb "slow."  (When you use "slow runner," where's the focus?  Yup...on "slow" rather than "runner."...)

I can't take credit for this thinking.  I went through a program years back put on by Lou Tice and the Pacific Institute and this was one of the key elements of that program. 

2014-01-21 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

My reply to Kate got posted twice, but I was going to issue a "challenge" to everyone as I typed that, so here it is: 

From now until the end of January, banish negative adjectives/adverbs from your posts/blog!  No "slow" adverbs.  No "just" modifiers to what you hope to do in training this week or racing this year.   Instead, be factual.  Write about your actual pace/distance, etc.  I'll have to work at this too, my foot has been bothering me so I haven't run nearly as much as I normally do, and it's easy for me to excuse what I've done as "just 5 miles" even though there's a reason I'm not running more.  My foot is feeling better. 

If you want to use phrases like "slower than normal" as a comparison to what you have done, that is acceptable, but please accompany it with factual information.  "My run was 8:20/mile, slower than my normal 8:12 pace." 

I hope all of you are logging your workouts and any thoughts about them.  The changes you are making come slowly and may be hard to perceive progress.  Reviewing your old logs lets you see what your progress has been. 

Edited by McFuzz 2014-01-21 9:21 AM
2014-01-21 11:32 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by McFuzz

My reply to Kate got posted twice, but I was going to issue a "challenge" to everyone as I typed that, so here it is: 

From now until the end of January, banish negative adjectives/adverbs from your posts/blog!  No "slow" adverbs.  No "just" modifiers to what you hope to do in training this week or racing this year.   Instead, be factual.  Write about your actual pace/distance, etc.  I'll have to work at this too, my foot has been bothering me so I haven't run nearly as much as I normally do, and it's easy for me to excuse what I've done as "just 5 miles" even though there's a reason I'm not running more.  My foot is feeling better. 

If you want to use phrases like "slower than normal" as a comparison to what you have done, that is acceptable, but please accompany it with factual information.  "My run was 8:20/mile, slower than my normal 8:12 pace." 

I hope all of you are logging your workouts and any thoughts about them.  The changes you are making come slowly and may be hard to perceive progress.  Reviewing your old logs lets you see what your progress has been. 

Great idea!! I love it. I'll try one now.

I had the night shift which means I was awake for 24hours before I could get a rest. Needless to say, sleeping during day time is not a quality sleep. Allthough I planned a short run, I decided to hit the bed very early tonight. After all, respecting the needs of your body is way more important then trying to overdo yourself. Tomorrow is another beautiful day and with a good night rest training for the rest of the week will be awesome. I'm sure of that! :D

@Kate

Welcome!

2014-01-21 4:56 PM
in reply to: #4921078

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)
Thanks so much Mike for the wise words, I thought of them tonight at dinner with my friends, they were all tucking into less than healthy meals while I sat their with my salad and I recognised that I was living the life I wanted to have and being the person I want to become. It's not a habit I've adopted to date but I'll certainly apply it in the future.
2014-01-21 6:52 PM
in reply to: [email protected]

Elkhorn, Nebraska
Originally posted by [email protected]

Hi Gang,
a lot of great info for us first timers, thank you!
I'm beginning to think I'm the greenest beginner here.
I have to take everything so slow because I tend to break everything, haha.
I've got my bike up to 7-10 miles this week
but still haven't set foot in the pool
I am running but nothing over 2-3 miles
I have a long way to go before I'm race ready.

I guarantee that I am a whole lot greener than you! I just now had the time and went back and read the forum from beginning until now. Thanks for the add, Mike, btw... I didn't see that you closed it earlier than I posted. After reading all of the posts, I will honestly say that I am a bit intimidated. I swam competitively through high school and, other than it being in a cold lake, I am not worried about the swim part. I have been heavier most of my adult life and have not gotten on a bike in I don't know how long and I always used the excuse of shin splints when it came to running, so I just walked.

After I lost about 60 lbs, I was on the treadmill one day and started running just to see if I could do it. I only ran for about 3 min. but I was so excited and proud of myself. I went out and got some running shoes and then only have used them twice in the past 3 months. I use my 4 boys and their active schedules as my excuse to not work out myself and I need to stop doing that. I have to convince myself that I am a morning person and get my butt out of bed and to the gym by 5:30 in the mornings (saying that literally makes me cringe). I'm going to use the couch to sprint training program here on BT but I won't start that until Feb. 3rd so I have to figure something out in the mean time to get my ready for actual training. Any tips from any of you would be well appreciated.

I also just started working out at a circuit training center called 9Round. I really like it. It's a 30 min. workout with 9 stations and an emphasis on kickboxing. They are new to the area so their hours are from 8-8 and sometimes I can't make it in by 8, but I really love the workout. I'm going to use that more to work on my core because I have none.

I'm really not trying to sound negative, just telling it how it is right now. The sprint triathlon that I'm signed up for is only a few miles from my house and I put it on my bucket list a few years back. Now that I have lost a significant amount of weight, I really want to do it this year. I want to and I will do it this year. My husband is more of a runner and he ran a marathon a few years ago. He has since decided that halves are more his speed and he and my two older sons are going to start training for a half in Feb. I also have a 10 yr old that wants to run a 5k with me so that is something else I will be for sure doing this year.

Right now, I need to figure out a plan for the next few weeks until I start my "official" plan. Any tips? When it gets warmer, I will also be looking for advice on buying a bike.

Thank you all for being such inspiring people!!
2014-01-21 8:38 PM
in reply to: colleengt

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Colleen,

That sounds like a great story!  We all try to juggle the activities and you aren't the first person to rationalize "lack of time" because of family to avoid working out.  Hang in there, and while it seems selfish to invest time in your health, it absolutely isn't.  In fact, is is healthy to make that investment in yourself.  Your children will get along without you for a half-hour or hour several days per week. 

If your plan starts in a few weeks, you can repeat the first few weeks of workouts, or work out so you're prepared to start the training plan when it is supposed to start. 

2014-01-21 8:38 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Colleen,

That sounds like a great story!  We all try to juggle the activities and you aren't the first person to rationalize "lack of time" because of family to avoid working out.  Hang in there, and while it seems selfish to invest time in your health, it absolutely isn't.  In fact, is is healthy to make that investment in yourself.  Your children will get along without you for a half-hour or hour several days per week. 

If your plan starts in a few weeks, you can repeat the first few weeks of workouts, or work out so you're prepared to start the training plan when it is supposed to start. 

2014-01-21 9:07 PM

User image

I got a swim in today- mostly working on breathing drills. My coach (I love that I decided to work on my techniques!) says I breathe too late, so she has me doing a couple drills to help get my timing better. I was planning a run today, but it turns out my kids' school got cancelled tomorrow, so no I won't be able to swim and will be able to run- I feel like it's a good decision, I'm tired and could us the rest!
2014-01-21 11:16 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by el penguino I got a swim in today- mostly working on breathing drills. My coach (I love that I decided to work on my techniques!) says I breathe too late, so she has me doing a couple drills to help get my timing better. I was planning a run today, but it turns out my kids' school got cancelled tomorrow, so no I won't be able to swim and will be able to run- I feel like it's a good decision, I'm tired and could us the rest!

A good day's rest is as much part of a training program than active training itself. And by the amount of training you have done the last 2 weeks, it's well deserved!.

@Colleen

My best tip to get some training done, is stop watching TV :D You won't believe how much hours you spend sitting in front of the TV.

2014-01-22 3:47 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

I got a swim in today- mostly working on breathing drills. My coach (I love that I decided to work on my techniques!) says I breathe too late, so she has me doing a couple drills to help get my timing better. I was planning a run today, but it turns out my kids' school got cancelled tomorrow, so no I won't be able to swim and will be able to run- I feel like it's a good decision, I'm tired and could us the rest!

Snap nancy, I managed to swim lengths without stopping.
2014-01-22 4:08 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
NUTRITION

I have a question guys, I have started to look at the labels of the foods that I am eating but I am not really sure about what I am supposedto be looking for. What's good what's bad, what's a high amount, what do I want more/less off.

What do I need less off and what should I cut out. ???

Example a fruit cake bar compared to crunch bar

Fruit cake
Energy 552kj / 131Kcal
Protein 1.2g
Carbohydrates 25.2g
Of which sugars 12.1g
Fat 3g
Of which saturates 0.7g
Fibre 1.3g
Sodium* 0.1g
*equivalent as salt 0.2g

Crunch bar
Energy 806kj / 192Kcal
Fat 7.4g
Of which saturates 1.3g
Carbohydrates 26.9g
Of which sugars 11.6g
Fibre 2.5g
Protein 3.3g
Salt 0.3g

Wotsits
Energy 402kj / 96Kcal
Fat 5.8g
Of which saturates 0.7g
Carbohydrates 9.8g
Of which sugars 1.2g
Fibre 0.2g
Protein 1g
Sodium* 0.13g
*equivalent as salt 0.34g

Walkers
Energy 542kj / 130Kcal
Fat 7.7g
Of which saturates 0.6g
Carbohydrates 13.2g
Of which sugars 0.7g
Fibre 1.1g
Protein 1.6g
Salt 0.3g

Edited by Jynxy 2014-01-22 4:09 AM

2014-01-22 4:41 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Originally posted by Jynxy

NUTRITION

I have a question guys, I have started to look at the labels of the foods that I am eating but I am not really sure about what I am supposedto be looking for. What's good what's bad, what's a high amount, what do I want more/less off.

What do I need less off and what should I cut out. ???

Example a fruit cake bar compared to crunch bar

Fruit cake
Energy 552kj / 131Kcal
Protein 1.2g
Carbohydrates 25.2g
Of which sugars 12.1g
Fat 3g
Of which saturates 0.7g
Fibre 1.3g
Sodium* 0.1g
*equivalent as salt 0.2g

Just as an aside, I love fruitcake. But only my dad's, no one else's. back to your regularly schedule training.
2014-01-22 4:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
@colleen, what i find helps is to have some sort of structure to the work out, so it could be 5 minutes walking, then 6 x 1 min jog and 2 min walk then 5 min walking cool down. It makes me more likely to actually do it when I start as I know what I'm going to be doing then when I'm doing it there's a focus on the next rep, plus the usual countdown process i.e. I'm 1/4 way through, I'm 1/3rd way through, I'm half way through, 2/3rds....nearly there, 3/4s .... just a bit now, yay finished!.

That and making sure that everything is laid out and ready to go the night before so, before I know it, I've woken up on the treadmill fully kitted out having feeling like I've slept through the way here : )

Edited by Kate_r 2014-01-22 4:53 AM
2014-01-22 6:42 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Joe,

You might pose your question in the nutrition/weight loss forum where people more attuned to nutrition can contribute. 

I don't worry too much about the nutritional breakdown of any single item.  I know I eat some things that are bad for me, but as long as I limit the amounts of these "bad" foods, the overall impact isn't too bad.  What is the right amount of calories/fat/protein/sodium for a food?  The better approach might be to say "of my daily 2500 calories, this is 180 of them, and is this how I choose to use them?  Same thing with sodium or fat.  A Snickers bar is about 250 calories, and way too much fat and sugar.  I still eat one or two a month and really REALLY enjoy them. 

On the choices you list, the Wotsits are the lowest calorie choice if you are satisfied eating one.  If you end up eating two, it isn't a lower calorie choice, and if you eat one and aren't satisfied because you really like the crunch bar instead, that's also not so good. 

Also want to say it is good that you are looking so you at least know what you are consuming. 

Edited by McFuzz 2014-01-22 6:45 AM
2014-01-22 7:09 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
I knew it, I just bloody knew it.

my lovely new Timex Ironman Triathlon watch just arrived

and its a rest day arghhhhh.........

lol

sweeeeeeet though

Edited by Jynxy 2014-01-22 7:10 AM
2014-01-22 7:35 AM

User image

Northlake, Texas

so, I went for a run today. I was using 2 different programs to run the GPS on my Ipod, one wasn't getting enough of a signal but the other did, go figure. Anyway, it wasn't linked directly to my runkeeper account so I entered the miles, time and map manually. The miles I entered by tracing my route on the map were less than the distance the GPS program showed me. I had noticed this before- has anyone else? I was wondeirng why? Is it because people just don't normally run super straight, so they pick up a little bit here and there? Or the mileage via map isn't quite right? Which should I trust?

In normal activity, the GPS will always be off by a little bit. Depending on the device it pings the satelite every few seconds, instead of staying in constant contact. This results in a little "connect the dots" effect when the program tallies up your activity and will more often than not straighten out any given stretch (leading to shorter distances). We try to correct this on bikes by adding magnetic speed sensors but there's no such measure (that i know of) for running.

The same can be said for the mileage by map since you're 'tracing' your track from one point to the next.

As for which you can trust you can trust BOTH. Unless you're running in a zig-zag pattern/ trail, they should both be accurate enough for our needs. In my experience I will usually take the lesser of the numbers and keep that as my record.

Edited by fadullium 2014-01-22 7:43 AM

2014-01-22 7:52 AM
in reply to: fadullium

User image

Originally posted by fadullium

In normal activity, the GPS will always be off by a little bit. Depending on the device it pings the satelite every few seconds, instead of staying in constant contact. This results in a little "connect the dots" effect when the program tallies up your activity and will more often than not straighten out any given stretch (leading to shorter distances). We try to correct this on bikes by adding magnetic speed sensors but there's no such measure (that i know of) for running.

The same can be said for the mileage by map since you're 'tracing' your track from one point to the next.

As for which you can trust you can trust BOTH. Unless you're running in a zig-zag pattern/ trail, they should both be accurate enough for our needs. In my experience I will usually take the lesser of the numbers and keep that as my record.

I suppose as long as I'm consistent, the difference isn't really enough to mess with training. Thanks!
2014-01-22 12:05 PM
in reply to: annplumley

Thank you Ann
I did 10 miles on the bike today in 39 minutes which isn't bad for me.
2014-01-22 12:17 PM

Hi Colleen,
Then we will tackle this scary but exciting world if Triathlons together. Hopefully we can encourage each other along and learn from all these experienced tri veterans.
Nice to meet you!
2014-01-22 12:24 PM

Happy to meet you Kate!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 37999 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.