BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-01-10 12:05 PM
in reply to: #648416

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: enginerd's Group - FULL

CaptainQuiche - 2007-01-09 4:39 PM Jeff, Thanks for the input. This is probably a really stupid question but by trying a suit do you mean just trying it on in the store or actually swim in it? I don’t know where I would go to swim in one. In peace, Jon

Hey Jon. I meant just trying them on in the store, but Gina makes a great point. Many shops will rent suits and then let you buy them with your rental fee going towards the purchase of the suit. You can rent one and try it out, if you like you can buy it, if not you can rent a different kind the next time. I forgot about that, thanks for chiming in Gina!

2007-01-10 12:15 PM
in reply to: #625451

User image

Jon, I swim in an Xterra suit, mostly b/c they are tri club sponsors and it was cheap.  It has not held up well, though, and has lots of tears that don't seem to be caused by my fingernails.  I think when I get a new one, I will care for it better.  Our club offers a discount on them, and there is a note along with that -- "Xterra guarantees that you will be satisfied with your Xterra wetsuit; therefore, all of their suits come with a 14 day trial period. You can keep the suit for 2 weeks, and if you are not fully convinced that it is the fastest and most comfortable wetsuit that you have ever owned, you can return it for a full refund -- no questions asked."  If that's accurate, might be a good safety measure!  Also, our club has a set of loaners, so if your new club does, you might look into trying one that way if your store doesn't.

But the one to ask is really Donato, since his picture shows he actually looks good in his wetsuit, which is something I haven't achieved yet.    Maybe I'll get brave and post a photo...

2007-01-10 1:09 PM
in reply to: #649267

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
Thanks for all the great feedback. I think I will start with checking with my club to see if they have any I can try. If not, I will look into renting a couple of different suits when I start my OWS practice and take it from there… Thanks for making this a great group!

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-10 7:54 PM

User image

Hey, guys, Gina and Jeff have joined the "dress up and take a pic" thread (very impressively, I might add) over at COJ.  Let's join them!

I am going to search for a picture as soon as the AC contractors get out of my house...

Edited by gailg 2007-01-10 7:55 PM
2007-01-11 9:03 AM
in reply to: #649267

User image

Master
San Francisco
gailg - 2007-01-10 10:15 AM

p>But the one to ask is really Donato, since his picture shows he actually looks good in his wetsuit, which is something I haven't achieved yet.    Maybe I'll get brave and post a photo...

LOL. That's what we need - a wetsuit calendar of our group.

Jon, I use a blueseventy Helix. I tried on a fair number of suits before buying. Like anything else, different manufacturers have different types of fits. I almost bought a Qunitana Roo, I think Superfull (don't remember exactly which model). If you haven't worn a wetsuit before, it will feel tighter than you might think. It will loosen up in the water. You do need to pull the suit up all the way snug to your crotch and up into your armpits. You don't want the suit pulling down on your arms. Like many things, it's all about the fit. I ended up choosing the helix because once I tried it on, it was so much more comfortable than the others i tried. some of the differences you pay for are how many panels it's made of (more countoured fit) and the materials (different thicknesses, etc.) make for better flexibility where you need it (e.g. arms) and still maintain bouyancy where you need it (e.g. legs).

Trying on many wetsuits is a real chore once you start sweating (and you will start sweating in one). One tip for putting on a wetsuit is to use those plastic grocery bags. Put them over your hand as you slide on the sleeve and then you can slide the bag out. Same with your ankles.

This should be a good time to buy since there should be a lot of off season sales. Places that rent also sell off their rentals so you can get discounts that way too (I hate paying retail).
2007-01-11 9:52 AM
in reply to: #649959

User image

Master
San Francisco
gailg - 2007-01-10 5:54 PM

Hey, guys, Gina and Jeff have joined the "dress up and take a pic" thread (very impressively, I might add) over at COJ.  Let's join them!

I am going to search for a picture as soon as the AC contractors get out of my house...

That's a great thread. I added my pic too!

Gina, pardon me for saying it, but you look hot in that photo. Between that photo and your avatar with your daughter, you can totally see that she has your eyes, nose, and mouth.

Jeff, looking good with your son!

Gail, you called for it...we're waitin' for the photo!

2007-01-11 11:27 AM

User image

Expert
3 out of 7 in COJ......who else is in? Ha ha
2007-01-11 11:54 AM
in reply to: #649959

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
gailg - 2007-01-10 5:54 PM

Hey, guys, Gina and Jeff have joined the "dress up and take a pic" thread (very impressively, I might add) over at COJ. Let's join them!

I can’t find the thread. Where do I look?

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-11 12:01 PM

User image

http://beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=63281&start=106&posts=137

I am definitely in (I clean up well ), but right now there's a file cabinet in front of my desktop computer, and ladders/drop cloths filling the closet where I keep photo CDs (I am having air and heat put in my house, talk about terrible timing with the surgery, and I am absolutely FREEZING now that they've turned off the gas from the old radiator).  By the time I get to my pix, I may have to post just to y'all if the COJ thread has died out!

2007-01-11 7:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
It's so fun to see everyone dressed up! Some good looking triathletes! Can't stay long tonight, gotta get ready for my date night! I'll check back in tomorrow.

Gina
2007-01-12 12:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Jason, I just squeeze strength training in when I can, since the endurance training is primary. I don't have a set plan and I think you'll find it difficult to do so with a little one at home. Wish I could give you a definate answer.

2007-01-12 10:57 AM
in reply to: #649116

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
scmikasa - 2007-01-10 8:56 AM

Alright, new question: when should I weight train?

Here's my schedule as of right now (I work Tuesday - Saturday):

Tuesday: swim & run

Wednesdays: swim & weights; chest, back & triceps

Thursdays: bike, alternating with bricks

Friday: rest

Saturday: run & weights; legs, shoulders & biceps

Sunday: swim & bike

Monday: rest

Sundays are the problem, by the time I get on the bike I don't have much left in my legs. This is mainly from weight training the day before, not so much from swimming. Should I just push through? Monday is a rest day. Or do I need to alter my training schedule or the way I lift?

Thanks everybody

Jason,

I am definitely not a tri-coach so my advice might not be the best…

Looking at your schedule I am wondering if you could change your leg-workout to Thursday after the bike/brick? You have Friday off witch gives your legs time to recover.

If you look at my log you will see that I also try to incorporate some strength training however I never make it a priority. I always make sure I get my swim/bike/run done and then if I have time I lift.

Keep up the good work!

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-12 11:21 AM

User image

It just so happens that our tri club/coaches are offering a 2-hr workshop this weekend on core/weight work with a focus on preseason/limiter work, and I am planning to go, if I am feeling okay -- I can watch and listen w/o participating in any leg lifts, etc.  I will let you guys know what I learn.  Without giving away all the coach's secrets, of course! 
2007-01-13 11:56 AM

User image

Veteran
Davis, California
Thanks everybody.  Jon, I think I might try your idea and move the leg workout to Thursdays.  I might just drop the leg workout entirely since I feel like it is hindering the amount of endurance training my body can do.  Maybe once my body is used to putting in as much training time as I'm attempting to, I can slowly add some leg strength work back in.  So much to figure out, all the while trying to listen to my body, I don't how you do it.
2007-01-13 1:16 PM
in reply to: #650741

User image

Veteran
Davis, California

elheffe99 - 2007-01-11 9:27 AM 3 out of 7 in COJ......who else is in? Ha ha

I'm in! That's 4 out of 7.

...and as Martin used to say:  DAMN GINA!

2007-01-15 4:00 PM
in reply to: #650741

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
elheffe99 - 2007-01-11 9:27 AM

3 out of 7 in COJ......who else is in? Ha ha

I guess I am number 5...

In peace,
Jon

2007-01-15 7:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Jon: I laughed! That still drunk pic is so funny! You don't even look like the same person in your wedding picture and your wife is beautiful. BTW, is your tri team associated with the Blazeman?

Hey all! My shoulder is doing better. I'm changing my swim stroke a bit and it seems to be helping.

Here's my question of the week: I'm having a difficult time with timing my sets. I don't get the funny clock at the end of the pool and I'm not coordinated to keep starting and stopping my watch properly. How does that pool clock work?

Happy Monday to you all!
Gina
2007-01-15 9:02 PM

User image

Wow, I love love love everyone's photos!  I want to be number 6 but I can't find any recent pictures where I'm dressed up, and 80s hair just doesn't cut it after how great you all look.  I will ask my father if he has some from a recent family wedding, when he returns from his winter vacation in Florida.

In the meantime I am offering my grainy post-surgery photo, just to prove I am not a slacker (see my photo album; I won't put it here in case you have issues with that sort of thing).  You will see why I am hesitant to put on a dress and take a picture now ... this is my left leg, but they both look like this right now...

2007-01-16 8:40 AM

User image

Master
San Francisco
Jason: You are your family look great in your photo in the COJ thread.

Jon: Your drunk/tux pic is hilarious. You and your wife look great together in your wedding photo. Nice job on your swim bike run workout day.

Jeff: Looks like you had a good weekend - nice ride and run. I wish I had yesterday off - it was a work day for me.

Gail: Looks like you're building up the time you walk. That's great! Your leg pic was okay by me, esp. since that's what fixed ya up and will allow you to run pain free again. We'll wait for your dressed up pic.

Gina: Glad your rotator cuff didn't bother you much, but hopefully you'll see the doctor soon. What's up with your Garmin?

Richard: Are you ready for your race this weekend? Should be fun! Are you going to post a dressed up pic? I hope you had a good time in Seattle.

me: My foot seems to be fine (I think it was primarily a not correctly formed orthotic in my Sidis), but a little knee pain after my long ride and longish run this weekend. I'll have to see how that goes. I joined the Y so I have a new place to swim. For my first pool swim in 3 months, I felt pretty lame, but I have to start somewhere. 1/2 mary in Cabo San Lucas this weekend. That should be fun.
2007-01-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: #655648

User image

Regular
Spokane, WA
ginac007 - 2007-01-15 5:14 PM

Jon: I laughed! That still drunk pic is so funny! You don't even look like the same person in your wedding picture and your wife is beautiful. BTW, is your tri team associated with the Blazeman?

Hey all! My shoulder is doing better. I'm changing my swim stroke a bit and it seems to be helping.

Here's my question of the week: I'm having a difficult time with timing my sets. I don't get the funny clock at the end of the pool and I'm not coordinated to keep starting and stopping my watch properly. How does that pool clock work?

Happy Monday to you all!
Gina

No, I don’t think there is a connection to Blazeman but I will ask at the swim class tonight.

I don’t know if my explanation of the pool clock will make any sense but I will give it a try. The clock only shows minutes and seconds. Basically all you need to do is to remember what the hands of the clock showed when you start your set. It typically wait for the clock to show something easy to remember like 5:00, 5:15, 5:30 etc.

In peace,
Jon
2007-01-16 3:10 PM

User image

Expert

What's happening group!

Donato - Good luck this weekend with your half. It should be nice to go down to Cabo!

Gail - Nice picture of the leg. That should leave an interesting scar! Nice beach shot as well.

Gina - This isn't an answer to your clock question, but I bought one of those cheap Ironman Timex watches that has a 30-lap feature and I find it great for swimming. I just keep hitting the lap button and it counts and times everything for me.

I hope everyone had a good weekend and is training away!

2007-01-16 3:44 PM

User image

Hey, Gina --

Here's a good link from USMastersSwimming on how to use the pace clock.

Most analog clocks look like the one below, with one hand going round to mark seconds and the other to mark minutes (which I usually ignore). My pool RBAC has a fancy digital one with big red numbers like a clock radio, but most will have an analog one.

To swim "on the interval," you just mark where the second hand (the moving one) is. Usually we start "on the top" at 60 or "on the bottom" at 30. So, "start on the top and swim 6 x 50 on 1:00" means start the first 50 when the hand's at at 60 and then the next 50 at 60 and so on, regardless of when you arrive at the wall. The faster you swim, the more time at the wall you have. If you're at the wall more than 10 seconds, your interval's usually too long. If you have no rest, it's too short.

BTW, I also have a Timex Ironman (women's) watch, which allows me to set the interval -- without my opticals or my contacts, I can't see the clock. So I can swim, say, 100s on 1:40 and the thing counts down from 1:40 and beeps at me when rest is over.

Type in or copy this URL (BT is adding some extra characters at the end, and I can't erase them

http://www.usms.org/fitness/content/usingthepaceclock

Edited by gailg 2007-01-16 3:58 PM

(pace_clock.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
pace_clock.jpg (23KB - 24 downloads)
2007-01-17 12:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
Thanks Gail! That was quite helpful, I will test my new pace clock knowledge tomorrow.

Donato: when I turned on my Garmin yesterday morning it took forever to find the satalite, and then when it did, it asked me if I'd traveled 100's on miles since my last session with it and then asked me what day it is and after I answered the questions it went back to "locating satalites" and it never got off that screen. It was to darn cold to stop moving and try to figure it out. Not to mention I am totally ignorant to tech devices ( can't use my Ironman watch cause it's too confusing!) I will tinker with it tomorrow when I have more free time during daylight hours.
2007-01-17 12:40 AM
in reply to: #657266

User image

Master
San Francisco
ginac007 - 2007-01-16 10:35 PM
Donato: when I turned on my Garmin yesterday morning it took forever to find the satalite, and then when it did, it asked me if I'd traveled 100's on miles since my last session with it and then asked me what day it is and after I answered the questions it went back to "locating satalites" and it never got off that screen. It was to darn cold to stop moving and try to figure it out. Not to mention I am totally ignorant to tech devices ( can't use my Ironman watch cause it's too confusing!) I will tinker with it tomorrow when I have more free time during daylight hours.

Hi Gina. A couple things with the Garmin - first, when it is trying to find the satellites, it's best when you keep it stil. Second, it helps to point the antenna upward (the angled part below the buttons) and you'll need to be outdoors.

About the distance, it's likely you didn't reset the counter since the last time you stopped it and it realizes you've moved from where you last were. You can reset the counter either by, one, downloading to your PC or, two, holding the lap/reset button down for about 4 seconds (it will count down. hold it down through that).

Hope you get it working. Once you do, it's fairly straightforward and you'll love all the info it gives you.
2007-01-17 1:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California

Donato:  see? I'm technologically retarded.  Seriously!  Your scenarios were right on, running while trying to locate satalite, not resetting...... I'll get it one of these days.  Thank you.

When do you leave for Cabo? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » enginerd's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11