BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-19 6:50 PM
in reply to: #661290

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
jamesmakinson - 2007-01-19 7:30 PM

My wife is having a hard time understanding why I would ever want to do a tri. Up until now I avoided water in quantities more than about 32 ounces. She went with me to buy swim goggles (I have very dry eyes. That may be the reason I avoid pools.) and almost had a meltdown in the store. She doesn't understand my passion for getting in shape and completing a triathlon. I don't understand her passion for reality TV and scrapbooking. Life sucks like that.

Three 12 hour shifts coming up. This job is really starting to get in the way of my training.

Jimbo the Great

Hang in there, pal. Work, family, life -- it all interferes in some way. The key is how you handle it.

Besides, you know she loves you. And you have to realize that she's worried about you. And if you pull this triathlon thing off, she can make a seriously cool scrapbook of your journey. Or provide documentation for the life insurance claim.

2007-01-19 10:50 PM
in reply to: #661290

User image

jamesmakinson - 2007-01-19 7:30 PM

Today was a bad tri day.

I went back in the pool for the first time in many years. I swam back and forth about six times. The lifeguard (she looked about 16 and all of 100 lbs) was perched on the edge of her chair the whole time. The whole time I was thrashing about I could just see her telling her friends,"I didn't think someone that tall could drown in only three feet of water." I couldn't help but wonder how she was going to pull my slippery, lifeless body up onto the tile. Oh well. That's her problem.

My wife is having a hard time understanding why I would ever want to do a tri. Up until now I avoided water in quantities more than about 32 ounces. She went with me to buy swim goggles (I have very dry eyes. That may be the reason I avoid pools.) and almost had a meltdown in the store. She doesn't understand my passion for getting in shape and completing a triathlon. I don't understand her passion for reality TV and scrapbooking. Life sucks like that.

Three 12 hour shifts coming up. This job is really starting to get in the way of my training.

Can you use arm floats in a tri?

Jimbo the Great

Hey Jim you are doing amazingly well. I understand the whole shift issue as my wife is a nurse and when she does several of the shifts in a row it is hard to do anything other than collapse. The other difficult thing is there is usually nothing but junk food in the hospital....it is tough. I know when I do overnight moonligting shifts I reward myself with bad food and I tend to get dehydrated as well. It is an uphill battle but I think the key is to take good food with you as snacks. Healthy low carb bars, nuts, carrots anything but the crackers they have in the food cabinet. Also make sure to have a water bottle and make yourself drink...that place sure can dessicate ya.

Sorry to hear that the wife is not so supportive but if you let her know that you are doing this so that you can be healthy and be around to play with your grandchildren (or maybe even push them in a running stroller ;-) ) maybe she will understand.
2007-01-20 5:42 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
SATURDAY REVIEW: JANUARY 21

Well, here we are again.

First off, great work everyone. I know I keep saying it, but you've just exceeded my expectations, and in an odd way, I'm quite proud. Keep up the good work, and keep motivating each other.

So what happened this week, and what's on the horizon? (And apologies in advance if I left anything out.)

Jimbo has planned his first race for June 17 and almost drowned in the pool. And he accused me of being sarcastic. As if.

Phoenix bought a treadmill, and was going to solicit help from a neighborly husband to help set it up, until she went out a lunch date with a hunky triathlete. No one's seen her since. Someone look for her at the Great Dane.

BGT did her first tri, and immediately set out to fulfill her personal goal of running 10 miles in a week. She's also signed up for 2 more. And she's reading logs. Watch out, people!

Jeng is running even though she should be taking it easy. And is in the throes of her last weekend before spring semester starts up. She's probably already bought her books and has started reading ahead so she is prepared for Monday. Yep, that's what all my students do, too.

Malphh is drunk somewhere enjoying the AU summer sun. Bastard.

Watergirl put together her trainer and is riding away.

Jose/jmt challenged us to get into the pool. I'm going tomorrow. For better or for worse. Sickness or in health. Richer or for poorer. Oh wait, that's something else.

Bubbagil and Mark Stanley joined us. Both are going to come on strong, I predict, as Bubbagil is a PE teacher and Mark is doing a 1/2 IM in September. In Monaco. I'm thinking we owe it to ourselves to learn french and go cheer him on.

And I issued the 7-sport challenge that begins tomorrow. Not a bad week!

Okay, everyone, get out there and do something today.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-20 5:46 AM
2007-01-20 3:41 PM
in reply to: #657096

User image

jeng615 - 2007-01-16 8:50 PM

jmtrevejo- thanks for the advice.... the pain is between my shin and my calf. it feels like it is right along/under the bone. and you're right- thank goodness for the other two events i can be working on! but i have to be honest, i broke down and ran just a little bit.... don't tell!

Jeng

There is a good article on shin splint pain in the BG. Basically all of the things we have spoken about....not starting slowly, wrong shoes, not stretching enough. Hope you can feel better and be pain free......
2007-01-20 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
No, I haven't disappeared. Last night I ran 5 miles in just under an hour. Today I went to the Y and swam my 8 laps in about 6 minutes, then did Cybex weights, then went home and did 17 miles bike in 26 minutes with it set on the toughest gear to get ready for hills. I swim funny, meaning the only thing I can really do properly is this sort of side stroke where my arms don't actually leave the water. And I'm stronger with the left arm up than the right for some very odd reason. I decided I'm just not gonna be able to do the swim in March the proper way without a miracle, or some very patient coaching. It's the breathing thing I have trouble with. With my version, my head is above water the whole way, with no neck strain. Might not be super fast, but I'll finish. What's reasonable for 1/4 mile swim anyway--4 minutes? And what, typically, do people do a 17 mile bike in? Or a 5 mile run? I have nothing to compare myself to. Up until now, I didn't really care about speed, but I'm starting to get the bug. I'm starting to realize that I will actually do this and not embarrass myself! Now to teleport one of you to set up the &6%# treadmill. I have difficulty asking people for help--the whole macho girl who boxes thing. I'll get it up soon, somehow. By the way, I'm gonna win this week's challenge!! If you don't want the old lady with three kids to beat you, then you all better get going
2007-01-20 6:24 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Hey team:
1. I only have 3.1 miles left on my 10 miles in one week challange. It feels good. I have never seen myself as stond athlete in any one displine to do 10 mile in 168 hours is like "WOW, I did that? " I have 5k tommorw and if I don't run for personal reasons or due to weather (we may have an inch on the ground by morning), then I will be at the gym to knock it off.

2. my running tommrow will count for the challange I am going win, move over hot mamma, big girl is like Hillary, I am here to win!

Send me some love tommorw, first 5k of the year.
BGT

2007-01-20 8:25 PM

BigGirlTri-ing... awesome job! You have wonderful perseverance! I wish I could say the same for myself. Keep up the good work!
2007-01-20 9:12 PM

User image

Theres been 2 people with swimming issues this weekend- I am going to offer some unsolicited advice since swimming is my passion and I used to teach adult swimming lessons. Prof already said the main important thing- the more you do it, the better you get. But, its sounds like Jimbo and Phoenix could definitely use a lesson or 2 because the thing I dont want to happen is to have bad habits get reinforced by repetition. A few lessons can make a HUGE difference. I recommend a few lessons, take some time and swim A LOT by yourself, and then check in with the instructor one or two more times for reeval.
Jimbo: time will help, so will using a pull buoy so you can focus on the arms and not worry about kicking right now. Distance shouldnt be a worry right now either. My example of what time in the water will do for you: Mybrother in law decided he wanted to do triathlons, he was a runner but had never really swam. I took him to the pool and he swam half the length of the pool and stopped. I told him he had to finish at least a length at a time! He then started swimming 2-3x week religiously for a year- he now races entire Ironmans and finishes in the top of his age groups. It took a while but it worked!
Phoenix: no matter how fast you can work up to with your head out of the water, you will never be able to seriously compete in triathlons with out putting your face in and breathing to the side. And the only reason I say that so bluntly is that I can tell you really want to be serious about this. Keeping your head out throws off all the aerodynamics of a swim stroke and you end up wasting way too much energy. I KNOW you can learn to swim with your face in, you have already accomplished so much else this should be nothing!

So Ill get off my soapbox now- and offer to help anyone as much as possible over the internet with their swimming. In fact,its too bad y'all live far away cuz I would even offer to give free lessons if anyone wanted to make the trek to Seattle! Swimming is one of those things that is so hard to learn as an adult -but its not impossible.

BTW- good luck to Quiana tomorrow if you do your 5K! Your courage inspires me.

Also, Jose, I hope my butchering of your original logon didnt cause the name change! My real name is Liz if thats easier for everyone.
Im excited for our challenge this week!
2007-01-21 4:57 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Watergirl/Liz -- great advice on the swim!
2007-01-21 5:09 AM
in reply to: #661867

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-20 6:24 PM

No, I haven't disappeared. Last night I ran 5 miles in just under an hour. Today I went to the Y and swam my 8 laps in about 6 minutes, then did Cybex weights, then went home and did 17 miles bike in 26 minutes with it set on the toughest gear to get ready for hills. I swim funny, meaning the only thing I can really do properly is this sort of side stroke where my arms don't actually leave the water. And I'm stronger with the left arm up than the right for some very odd reason. I decided I'm just not gonna be able to do the swim in March the proper way without a miracle, or some very patient coaching. It's the breathing thing I have trouble with. With my version, my head is above water the whole way, with no neck strain. Might not be super fast, but I'll finish. What's reasonable for 1/4 mile swim anyway--4 minutes? And what, typically, do people do a 17 mile bike in? Or a 5 mile run? I have nothing to compare myself to. Up until now, I didn't really care about speed, but I'm starting to get the bug. I'm starting to realize that I will actually do this and not embarrass myself! Now to teleport one of you to set up the &6%# treadmill. I have difficulty asking people for help--the whole macho girl who boxes thing. I'll get it up soon, somehow. By the way, I'm gonna win this week's challenge!! If you don't want the old lady with three kids to beat you, then you all better get going

If your times are accurate, you're going to be dangerous on the bike. Depending on the day, course, road, my mood, and weather, I average between 15 and 18 mph. Sounds like you're going 35mph. Which makes you a superhero, or a seriously fast twitch muscle girl capable of quick short rides.

Your run and swim times are what they are, and will get better as you train. Jen is faster than me on the run, and Liz is faster than me in the pool. Add you kicking my *** on the bike, and I think I'm going to take up golf.

Here's what I'm saying -- don't compare your speeds to others as a benchmark as to how you should perform. Listen to your body and focus on your form. Speed will follow, especially if you get off your side in the pool by learning how to swim freestyle. Trust me, it's worth a few lessons.

At this point, I just want you moving. We'll worry about speed workouts in March.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-21 5:12 AM
2007-01-21 6:57 AM

User image

Expert
Prof, I love you!!! I mean that in the brotherly love sort of way, don't worry, Mrs. Prof. No, really, you have a great way of saying just the right thing to motivate people. Are you a psych prof?

I'm definitely not a superhero, though I feel a little like catwoman in my wetsuit (yes, I'm a Leo). That was my goal for the class reunion: be an athlete and look great in a catwoman suit, so triathlons seemed like the natural choice! I don't have fast twitch fibers, trust me. It's called minitrampoline, baby! You use your quadriceps the most on the thing and I've been logging like 10,000 steps at a time on the thing. Go out and get one at Walmart--they are 20 bucks. Try doing 10,000 steps and tell me what you think. I chose to focus on those muscles because about 3 years ago, my adrenals failed and I had to take dexamethasone injections in my thighs for 18 months. I was getting sick all the time and went to the doc--he said I needed to reduce stress, so I filed for divorce from my alcoholic husband of 15 years. (now you know why I call myself phoenix). So, I healed myself and got off the horrible meds and decided to do endurance sports to strengthen my adrenals. I'm still getting residual meds out of my thighs with weight loss and all the lymphatic drainage on the minitramp. I can tell when the nasty steroids are circulating in my bloodstream again, as the side effects come back for a little bit. Then, I have to slow down on the workouts for a few days. That's why I didn't do much for a couple days. I did my Master's thesis on psychoneuroimmunology and met Candace Pert in person! Your mind has everything to do with your body's health and endurance. There are folks at the Menninger Institute in Kansas that are using visualization to cure brain cancer. I went there, too, to do research.

Anyway, I can't seem to do faster than a 12 minute mile on the minitrampoline. Someone try it and let me know how it compares to real running, please. Nope, didn't get the treadmill going yet. I'm afraid of the wirecutter part of the assembly. Not an electrician!

BGT--way to go!! We are definitely sending you happy mojo--I'm a Reiki master

2007-01-21 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Okay, bike and swim this morning for me, so that's 2 down, 5 to go!

Remember, first person to post his 7th event wins!

PHEONIX -- I thought of you this morning in the pool when I helped the guard put in the lane lines and I was swimming sidestroke, pulling the line down the pool. You are expending way too much energy on sidestroke. Get some lessons in!

Edited by prof40 2007-01-22 5:14 AM
2007-01-21 10:41 AM
in reply to: #662118

User image

phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-21 7:57 AM

Prof, I love you!!! I mean that in the brotherly love sort of way, don't worry, Mrs. Prof. No, really, you have a great way of saying just the right thing to motivate people. Are you a psych prof?

I'm definitely not a superhero, though I feel a little like catwoman in my wetsuit (yes, I'm a Leo). That was my goal for the class reunion: be an athlete and look great in a catwoman suit, so triathlons seemed like the natural choice! I don't have fast twitch fibers, trust me. It's called minitrampoline, baby! You use your quadriceps the most on the thing and I've been logging like 10,000 steps at a time on the thing. Go out and get one at Walmart--they are 20 bucks. Try doing 10,000 steps and tell me what you think. I chose to focus on those muscles because about 3 years ago, my adrenals failed and I had to take dexamethasone injections in my thighs for 18 months. I was getting sick all the time and went to the doc--he said I needed to reduce stress, so I filed for divorce from my alcoholic husband of 15 years. (now you know why I call myself phoenix). So, I healed myself and got off the horrible meds and decided to do endurance sports to strengthen my adrenals. I'm still getting residual meds out of my thighs with weight loss and all the lymphatic drainage on the minitramp. I can tell when the nasty steroids are circulating in my bloodstream again, as the side effects come back for a little bit. Then, I have to slow down on the workouts for a few days. That's why I didn't do much for a couple days. I did my Master's thesis on psychoneuroimmunology and met Candace Pert in person! Your mind has everything to do with your body's health and endurance. There are folks at the Menninger Institute in Kansas that are using visualization to cure brain cancer. I went there, too, to do research.

Anyway, I can't seem to do faster than a 12 minute mile on the minitrampoline. Someone try it and let me know how it compares to real running, please. Nope, didn't get the treadmill going yet. I'm afraid of the wirecutter part of the assembly. Not an electrician!

BGT--way to go!! We are definitely sending you happy mojo--I'm a Reiki master

Wow this tri thing is small potatos compared to what you have been through.....I am impressed.
2007-01-21 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks Jose! Any more medical advice for strengthening adrenals without meds? I took a lot of ginseng for awhile and my favorite thing now is Xango juice. It's mangosteen fruit, but the pericarp part of the fruit. It was adopted by the American Cancer Society as an anti-cancer agent and is extremely high in antioxidants, which is why it helps me, I think. I don't feel as well when I run out of it.

Okay, 5 miles bike in 6 minutes, 4 mile run on minitramp in 45 minutes, 20 minutes in the pool but I sort of just experimented a lot and didn't calculate distance. That's 3 events! Maybe I have some of those fast twitch fibers after all? I seem to recover fast. Yesterday I did swim, weights and 5 mile run. Ask me how I feel tomorrow.....
2007-01-21 12:23 PM

User image

Alright, I did my first brick workout of the year. In January and outside no less! 10miles bike, 2 mile run. Im not sure how Phoenix is pulling 5miles that fast on a bike because that is superhuman speed? My goal for this workout was to go slow and easy and I felt pretty good th e whole time. So- I have 2 down, 5 more to go!
2007-01-21 1:02 PM

User image

Expert
now I'm thinking maybe the speedometer thingy is wrong--but I double check it with the pedometer on the back of my shorts, and they seem to jive. Guess I'll see how it goes outside later--maybe that will be much harder? I did another 2 mile run, but not outside. That will be more of a challenge for me with the asthma. So, that's 4 events!

2007-01-21 2:39 PM
in reply to: #662236

User image

phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-21 11:51 AM

Thanks Jose! Any more medical advice for strengthening adrenals without meds? I took a lot of ginseng for awhile and my favorite thing now is Xango juice. It's mangosteen fruit, but the pericarp part of the fruit. It was adopted by the American Cancer Society as an anti-cancer agent and is extremely high in antioxidants, which is why it helps me, I think. I don't feel as well when I run out of it.

Okay, 5 miles bike in 6 minutes, 4 mile run on minitramp in 45 minutes, 20 minutes in the pool but I sort of just experimented a lot and didn't calculate distance. That's 3 events! Maybe I have some of those fast twitch fibers after all? I seem to recover fast. Yesterday I did swim, weights and 5 mile run. Ask me how I feel tomorrow.....

I am not that well versed in alternative or herbal medicines but I did have mangosteen when I was in Australia...it is delicious. I think the best thing that you can do naturally is what you are already doing.....exercise. Otherwise I will have to defer to homeopathic or herbal medicine experts.

It does sound like your bike speedometer is a bit fast unless you have been taking lessons from Lance Armstrong. The max speed ever recorded in a Tour de France time trial is 33.9 miles/hour. If you rode 5 miles in 6 minutes that would bring you to 50miles/hour.....hey how about giving us some cycling tips
2007-01-21 3:36 PM

User image

Expert
See, I really am a beginner! I just have no reference to how things are supposed to be--my thingy was half attached and not recording properly, and I think I looked at the "miles" on the pedometer and the "time" on the computer, which was not recording all the time because it was half hanging off. So, all things back together as they are supposed to be and I'm doing two miles in about 6 minutes---ooops! Well, at least I got you guys impressed with me for a milisecond! Wish it was April fools, then I could save face Did you know they are having a marathon in Antartica in about a month? It's summer there now, so temps are in the balmy 20's! Antartica, anyone?
2007-01-21 4:32 PM

Just 40 minutes on the bike trainer for me today. I got it set up with a computer on the back wheel. I learned that the trainer is slower than an upright bike machine at the fitness club. Or it takes much more energy to go 20 mph on the trainer than the bike machine. I also went today to the park district near my home and bought a pass that allows me to use the pool during lap swim times. I hope to go twice this week and start working up some swim endurance.
2007-01-21 4:45 PM
in reply to: #662340

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-21 2:02 PM

I did another 2 mile run, but not outside. So, that's 4 events!

Nope. You're limited to 3 a day. No extra credit for extra sessions, or we'd all complete the challenge in a day.

Nice try, though. And good effort.

Oh, and a special challenge just for you. Get off that trampoline and go for a run, or you'll have an * next to your challenge results, and your victory might be questioned by your teammates. You've got to start doing the real thing, even if it's just a mile for your first one. And if you don't have them, get a good pair of running shoes.

Note: not expensive, just good. Try on 10 pairs, walk around the store, tell the shoe person how far you plan on running a week and ask for suggestions. I only wear Asics. My sister swears by Nikes. Go find what works for you.

Edited by prof40 2007-01-22 5:34 AM
2007-01-21 6:35 PM
in reply to: #662318

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-01-21 1:23 PM

Alright, I did my first brick workout of the year. In January and outside no less! 10miles bike, 2 mile run. Im not sure how Phoenix is pulling 5miles that fast on a bike because that is superhuman speed? My goal for this workout was to go slow and easy and I felt pretty good th e whole time. So- I have 2 down, 5 more to go!

Nice brick! But outside? Brrr.

2007-01-21 9:01 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Did my own run today and not the race becasue of personal medical appt. So I did my own run in order to make my personal goal of 10 miles in 1 week. Took longer than I wanted due to snow. Anyway, I may take a dive in this challane. I have to take a rest day, I have worked out for 6 days in a row, rest is needed.
I am glad I am on this team, full of stong dedicated athletes.
2007-01-21 9:58 PM

BGT, congrats on the 10 miles. That's a big achievement.

Ya'll are all going to whip me on the assignment as I have yet to start. Unfortunatly it will have to wait until tuesday. Tomorrow is my third of three shifts and I don't forsee a long workout. Anyway, keep truckin' and I'll play catchup soon.

Jimbo the Great
2007-01-22 5:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi from across the pond.

Firstly, I cannot get to a computer over the weekend so I only talk to you when I should be working!

Secondly, having read the challenge I went for it big time on Saturday. Somewhat perplexed with the "brick" thing but what the heck, if prof is a bit Mr Miyagi with the training, that's fine by me.

Having reread the challenge post I realise that "bricks" are a way of training back to back with other exercises.

Still, I built a nice retaining wall for the rockery.

Cycled into work this morning; twenty two and half miles. It took an hour and half. Only disadvantage is that I have to cycle home and it's just started to rain horizontally. Nice.

Jimbo, you mention that your wife has a "hard time understanding why I would ever want to do a tri." and that "she doesn't understand my passion for getting in shape and completing a triathlon".

My other half, the girlfriend formerly known as Satan, couldn't get her head round me taking time that I otherwise could spend being told what to do by her, running, cycling and swimming. In time she came round and suggested at the weekend that we took a flat in Monte Carlo so that the whole family could be there to "watch me give up" (she still has a little way to go methinks!). Change is sometimes harder for those who aren't changing. You got the bug, she didn't. Give her time and she'll, as likely as not, come round.

Soon enough you may get her interested enough to tell you exactly what you're doing wrong with your training although, if she's anything like Satan, she won't want ot humiliate you completely by telling you how to do it better.

I'm impressed with everyones committment thus far. I'm planning to repeat the cycling thing a couple of times, run most lunchtimes and get in the pool twice (ever seen a whale in a pair of speedos? Tadcaster pool, 12.30 tomorrow if you need to tick that box in your list of a hundred things to see before you die list) and then, next week I'm off to India with work. Staying in a gazillion star hotel so I will have someone to do my workouts for me so prof, bring it on!

Toodle pip chaps.
2007-01-22 5:24 AM
in reply to: #662518

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
ecjones_98 - 2007-01-21 5:32 PM

Just 40 minutes on the bike trainer for me today. I got it set up with a computer on the back wheel. I learned that the trainer is slower than an upright bike machine at the fitness club. Or it takes much more energy to go 20 mph on the trainer than the bike machine. I also went today to the park district near my home and bought a pass that allows me to use the pool during lap swim times. I hope to go twice this week and start working up some swim endurance.

Impressive. And never label a workout with the word "just". You did it, right? Even when I'm dragging -- like this morning, and my head is aching, and my body is sore, and I am just hoping the morning caffeine will kick in soon -- if nothing else, I'll do a "quick" workout.

Besides, your "just" workout is longer than someone's goal workout. Talk about perspective.

"Quick" beats "just" any day of the week. Positive words, my friend, will make the world a better place.

Oh, and as for the difference in exertion, who knows? You could have your trainer racked up too tight against your wheel, or the friction-making device (scientific name, huh?) of the gym machine could be off. Or maybe when you're at home there just isn't anything to look at to help pass the time!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72