BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-01-23 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1171698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Victoriuos
dtb - 2008-01-23 8:22 AM

Hi Guys,

Ron I was victorious this morning. I woke up at 5 AM, others were already getting in the pool and I was still in bed. I was not motivated to get up so I just laid there awhile waiting to fall back into sleep. Well while I was awake I remembered reading your post about getting up even when you do not want to, and that alone making one victorious.

And when I remembered that I JUMPED OUT OF BED AND DROVE MYSELF TO THE POOL.

Thanks

Nice work Scott!! Way to go!!!!
Scott H

2008-01-23 7:54 PM
in reply to: #1171758

Yea that was cool the way I remembered that. I'm serious that is just what happened.

So now today I found out all my friends will be at Wildflower so I need some people to share gas and driving. It was a long trip for me alone last year and takers, holt1997?

2008-01-23 7:57 PM
in reply to: #1171698

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

dtb - 2008-01-23 8:22 AM Hi Guys, Ron I was victorious this morning. I woke up at 5 AM, others were already getting in the pool and I was still in bed. I was not motivated to get up so I just laid there awhile waiting to fall back into sleep. Well while I was awake I remembered reading your post about getting up even when you do not want to, and that alone making one victorious. And when I remembered that I JUMPED OUT OF BED AND DROVE MYSELF TO THE POOL. Thanks

Right on, bro!

You'll find after a few weeks of these "little victories", you'll have reconditioned your mind & body to crave the am workout like many crave their morning cup of joe. 

2008-01-23 10:14 PM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!
I honestly keep thinking about the wildflower race. I keep thinking there is no way I could possibly be ready for it but then I went for a run tonight and thought...maybe. It was one of the worst weather wise but better as far as distance and time. Go figure. I'll think about it. (On my run tonight it was so cold that my water bottle froze along with my eye lashes, brows and hair. It was really weird)
Scott
2008-01-24 7:04 AM
in reply to: #1173173

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-23 8:14 PM I honestly keep thinking about the wildflower race. I keep thinking there is no way I could possibly be ready for it but then I went for a run tonight and thought...maybe. It was one of the worst weather wise but better as far as distance and time. Go figure. I'll think about it. (On my run tonight it was so cold that my water bottle froze along with my eye lashes, brows and hair. It was really weird) Scott

This brings up a good topic...namely race-readiness benchmarks.  I mean, don't we all want to know if we're "ready" for the big race?

In distances from 70.3-and-under, I would venture the following (note: this is my personal, completely unscientific, subjective, works-for-me system):

Benchmark #1- Can you perform all the distances of your race in the same week?  You're getting close.

Benchmark #2- Can you perform all the distances of your race in 3 consecutive days?  You're probably ready, and can probably complete the race if paced properly.

Benchmark #3- Can you brick your bike+run distance?  You're ready, baby.  Possibly even to "race" the race, not just complete it. 

TriAya, or Donto, comments? 

2008-01-24 7:54 AM
in reply to: #1173373

User image

Master
Small Town
I like the Benchmark ideas.

2008-01-24 8:23 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
guncollector - 2008-01-24 5:04 AM

Benchmark #1- Can you perform all the distances of your race in the same week?  You're getting close.

Benchmark #2- Can you perform all the distances of your race in 3 consecutive days?  You're probably ready, and can probably complete the race if paced properly.

Benchmark #3- Can you brick your bike+run distance?  You're ready, baby.  Possibly even to "race" the race, not just complete it. 

This is very helpful! I have never even thought about "am I ready" I have just been of the mind set that I am never truly ready. Good tip. Do you have any tips on how to break up the run routine? Right now I do a long run and a short run every week. I figure the long run just gets the miles in, builds cardio and helps build the endurance muscles. The short run I try to crank up the speed, building that end of the run up. Is this enough or is there more I should be doing? My short runs are around 3-4 miles and my longer runs are 6-11 miles depending on which week it is (easy moderate, hard or very hard, I try to mix this according to Joe Friel)
Scott H
2008-01-24 11:46 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
guncollector - 2008-01-24 8:04 AM

holt1997 - 2008-01-23 8:14 PM I honestly keep thinking about the wildflower race. I keep thinking there is no way I could possibly be ready for it but then I went for a run tonight and thought...maybe. It was one of the worst weather wise but better as far as distance and time. Go figure. I'll think about it. (On my run tonight it was so cold that my water bottle froze along with my eye lashes, brows and hair. It was really weird) Scott

This brings up a good topic...namely race-readiness benchmarks. I mean, don't we all want to know if we're "ready" for the big race?

In distances from 70.3-and-under, I would venture the following (note: this is my personal, completely unscientific, subjective, works-for-me system):

Benchmark #1- Can you perform all the distances of your race in the same week? You're getting close.

Benchmark #2- Can you perform all the distances of your race in 3 consecutive days? You're probably ready, and can probably complete the race if paced properly.

Benchmark #3- Can you brick your bike+run distance? You're ready, baby. Possibly even to "race" the race, not just complete it.

I'd say those are pretty darn close.  Maybe #1 I'd change to "in the same month" and finishing BOP, IMHO if you can do the distances in the month before your taper, you're set for the distance in the event.  This is more or less what I ended up doing for my HIM as I had the bike crash 6 weeks before and had to back off on the training to heal. 

2008-01-24 4:03 PM
in reply to: #1173516

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-24 6:23 AM Do you have any tips on how to break up the run routine? Right now I do a long run and a short run every week. I figure the long run just gets the miles in, builds cardio and helps build the endurance muscles. The short run I try to crank up the speed, building that end of the run up. Is this enough or is there more I should be doing? My short runs are around 3-4 miles and my longer runs are 6-11 miles depending on which week it is (easy moderate, hard or very hard, I try to mix this according to Joe Friel) Scott H

In the early season, there is no need for any speedwork.  In fact, the argument can be made in your early triathlon career (i.e. your first year or two) you don't need any true speedwork.   

You should be focusing on base, base, base.....which means LSD runs.

Now, that said, I know that it can be exceedingly difficult to do boring LSD runs all the time.  So, mix in a few tempo runs, or a little interval/fartlek work once in a while--but not true speedwork. 

Save the true speedwork--the kind you do on tracks, where you max out your VO2 and incrementally longer distances from 400m and up--for later in the Season (if at all), like 5-6 weeks out from your A-race.

There's a sigline on ST that reads..."Speed is icing on the cake.  You don't have cake."  Pretty much sums it up.

Edited by guncollector 2008-01-24 4:04 PM
2008-01-24 5:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well put, miles it is.
Scott H
2008-01-25 5:10 PM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
It was bound to happen. I missed my first workout today. I had a rough, long day at work yesterday and also have a pinched nerve behind my shoulder that is bothering me. Today was going to be a swim workout in the morning, but I just couldn't make it. I'm going to try and make up the missed volume by going for a run this weekend if the rain ever stops. I've been on a pretty good roll, so I'm not to upset, but I was getting so close to making it to the end of the month without missing a week day.

Scott R

2008-01-25 8:32 PM
in reply to: #1176625

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

TysDad - 2008-01-25 3:10 PM It was bound to happen. I missed my first workout today. I had a rough, long day at work yesterday and also have a pinched nerve behind my shoulder that is bothering me. Today was going to be a swim workout in the morning, but I just couldn't make it. I'm going to try and make up the missed volume by going for a run this weekend if the rain ever stops. I've been on a pretty good roll, so I'm not to upset, but I was getting so close to making it to the end of the month without missing a week day. Scott R

I'm glad you're not sweating the missed day...just roll with it.  These days happen sometimes, and you have to listen to your body.

2008-01-25 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
Hey all,

Mind if I hang out? Looks like a fun group with lot's of great info sharing.

I'm doing my first tri at the Napa sprint in May. Really looking forward to it! I'm a good runner and cyclist, but, like most, I'm working on swimming. Currently running about 20 miles/week, biking ~50 miles, and swimming at the Y pool 3 days/week. Missed the last couple of days due to a chest cold. Hoping to get back at it tomorrow... gently!

FYI - I'm a 45 year old male who telemark skis (backcountry and resort), love to run and bike, but have been away from endurance sports for about 15 years. Could stand to lose about 15-20 lbs of "winter warmth". ;-)

Have a great weekend!!

2008-01-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1176927

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

ljrogers1104 - 2008-01-25 8:29 PM Hey all, Mind if I hang out? Looks like a fun group with lot's of great info sharing. I'm doing my first tri at the Napa sprint in May. Really looking forward to it! I'm a good runner and cyclist, but, like most, I'm working on swimming. Currently running about 20 miles/week, biking ~50 miles, and swimming at the Y pool 3 days/week. Missed the last couple of days due to a chest cold. Hoping to get back at it tomorrow... gently! FYI - I'm a 45 year old male who telemark skis (backcountry and resort), love to run and bike, but have been away from endurance sports for about 15 years. Could stand to lose about 15-20 lbs of "winter warmth". ;-) Have a great weekend!!

Jim,

Welcome aboard!

My first triathlon was also the Napa Valley Sprint! Great race, with some challenging rollers and double the normal sprint-length swim (800m).  And last year's swim and bike was made more interesting by some heavy winds (20+mph). But, great fun.

2008-01-26 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks, Ron!

Unfortunately, I've contracted a chest/head cold this week. I did a bike ride and a run today though, and I actually had good energy for both. Paying for it now though!

In the past (many moons ago) I ran a 3:19 marathon, so I understand the importance of rest, especially when sick. Now, if I can just practice what I preach...

It feels so good getting back into endurance sports again. Looking forward to getting my body back to it's optimum weight. Right now I'm at 193 lbs., on my 5'11" frame, and hope to be around 180 for the Napa race in May. The legs are holding up well so far.. now, if I can only get more comfortable swimming. More time in the pool is in order!

Cheers!!

2008-01-26 6:27 PM
in reply to: #1174091

User image

Melon Presser
Donto - 2008-01-24 10:46 AM

This brings up a good topic...namely race-readiness benchmarks. I mean, don't we all want to know if we're "ready" for the big race?

Benchmark #1- Can you perform all the distances of your race in the same week? You're getting close.

Benchmark #2- Can you perform all the distances of your race in 3 consecutive days? You're probably ready, and can probably complete the race if paced properly.

Benchmark #3- Can you brick your bike+run distance? You're ready, baby. Possibly even to "race" the race, not just complete it.

I'd say those are pretty darn close.  Maybe #1 I'd change to "in the same month" and finishing BOP, IMHO if you can do the distances in the month before your taper, you're set for the distance in the event.  This is more or less what I ended up doing for my HIM as I had the bike crash 6 weeks before and had to back off on the training to heal. 

Ditto. The only things I'd add are that there's "stupid ready," which means you'll probably finish, but it's not a good idea ... so I won't even give the guidelines for that ...Tongue out. Ron, your guidelines are "good and ready," and Don's are "finish okay ready." The only thing I'd add is that at least one workout in each discipline be close to the actual race course ... for example, I've seen some pretty strong pool swimmers croak in a lake (much less the ocean), decent cyclists have to walk up each hill on a rough course, and good runners walk the run. All of that is fine (except croaking in open water), but it can really rattle you and derail your race, compromising a finish. 

2008-01-28 10:34 AM

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
I made up for my missed swim workout on Friday by going out for a run on Sunday morning. I ran my 3.17 mile loop and started out at what I felt was my usual pace. About 5 minutes into the run I was feeling pretty good and noticed as I passed landmarks I was ahead of my usual times. Near the end I was still keeping my pace and I had a feeling this was going to be my best time. Turns out I shaved around 30sec/mile off my last run for my best ever 8:09min/mile average over this distance. I felt great after the run and my legs feel great today. The slow consistant runs on the treadmill might actually be paying off.

It was back to the pool this morning for the standard 4x400. Had to share a lane against a wall for the first 400, no fun.

Hope everybody had a good weekend,

Scott R
2008-01-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: #1177576

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

TriAya - 2008-01-26 4:27 PM 

Ditto. The only things I'd add are that there's "stupid ready," which means you'll probably finish, but it's not a good idea ... so I won't even give the guidelines for that ...Tongue out. Ron, your guidelines are "good and ready," and Don's are "finish okay ready." The only thing I'd add is that at least one workout in each discipline be close to the actual race course ... for example, I've seen some pretty strong pool swimmers croak in a lake (much less the ocean), decent cyclists have to walk up each hill on a rough course, and good runners walk the run. All of that is fine (except croaking in open water), but it can really rattle you and derail your race, compromising a finish.

Arsiyanti, thanks for the input.

And, there you have it folks. A list of Benchmarks with relevant commentary and feedback from two other vet racers.

You'll see everyone has a little different idea and or assessment of what defines the "readiness spectrum".

Keep these in mind as your season progresses.

Edited by guncollector 2008-01-28 1:03 PM
2008-01-28 7:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Hello group,
I had an experience today at the bike shop I wanted to share. I bought a used tri bike a month ago. It was from someone very close to my size (inseam and height were almost exactly the same). The rides have not been much fun. I have been uncomfortable and have not yet had a good ride on it. I took it into a bike shop with an owner that was very knowledgable about triathlons and had a bike fit done. What a difference it made. The bike is much more comfortable. He explained a lot about the why's of important angles and aerodynamics (Which he said aerodynamics don't really even come into play until you start averaging over 20 mph) So needless to say it was a very worth while trip and only cost $25. If you have not had your bike fit to you specifically before, I highly recommend it. Hope this helps.
Scott H.
2008-01-28 8:33 PM
in reply to: #1180655

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Scott,
Glad you found a good fitter and for only $25, dang!

I can't stand when the 20mph number comes into play like that.  Tell you what, when you have a long stretch into a good head wind, and are going 15-17mph, aerodynamics rule!!! 

Have you tried any brick runs before you had the fitting?  If so it would be interesting to note your before and after feel of the bricks, how fresher the legs should be.   Let us know if you have any feedback to share about this.

2008-01-28 8:39 PM
in reply to: #1179594

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

TysDad - 2008-01-28 11:34 AM I made up for my missed swim workout on Friday by going out for a run on Sunday morning. I ran my 3.17 mile loop and started out at what I felt was my usual pace. About 5 minutes into the run I was feeling pretty good and noticed as I passed landmarks I was ahead of my usual times. Near the end I was still keeping my pace and I had a feeling this was going to be my best time. Turns out I shaved around 30sec/mile off my last run for my best ever 8:09min/mile average over this distance. I felt great after the run and my legs feel great today. The slow consistant runs on the treadmill might actually be paying off. It was back to the pool this morning for the standard 4x400. Had to share a lane against a wall for the first 400, no fun. Hope everybody had a good weekend, Scott R

See what a change even in the standard TP can do for you!  Great job on the run, that's an impressive decrease in times.  Capillary building at it's best showing up.

I like swimming next to the wall, have elbow scars to prove it, LOL!  After last years 3 tri's, all with 15-25 mph winds & driving waves, you learn to love anything that's thrown at you. BTW, my Y only has 3 lanes in the lap pool and nobody likes the walls except me it seems.

2008-01-28 11:29 PM

User image

Expert
Good stuff, all.... thanks for sharing! I need to get my bike fit soon, but with all the rain around here lately I've been restricted to indoor spinning.

That said, I did my first brick today (indoors - spinning bike and treadmill). One hour on the bike followed immediately with a 30 minute run. I changed it up a bit to try to mimic hills, though I know it's not the same as doing an outdoor brick. Remarkable how the turnover rate of you legs continues in the run and it felt like I could really ramp it up if I wanted to. I held back though and am glad I did.

Gotta start swimming more now. Just picked up Total Immersion and am looking forward to learning how to swim efficiently. The next 2 days are swim only for me. 3 days in a row of spinning and running... time to give the legs a break!

Hope the rest of you are doing well... Cheers!
2008-01-29 7:35 AM
in reply to: #1180655

User image

Modesto, California

holt1997 - 2008-01-28 5:20 PM Hello group, I had an experience today at the bike shop I wanted to share. I bought a used tri bike a month ago. It was from someone very close to my size (inseam and height were almost exactly the same). The rides have not been much fun. I have been uncomfortable and have not yet had a good ride on it. I took it into a bike shop with an owner that was very knowledgable about triathlons and had a bike fit done. What a difference it made. The bike is much more comfortable. He explained a lot about the why's of important angles and aerodynamics (Which he said aerodynamics don't really even come into play until you start averaging over 20 mph) So needless to say it was a very worth while trip and only cost $25. If you have not had your bike fit to you specifically before, I highly recommend it. Hope this helps. Scott H.

What a score for $25.00, most places are around $100.00.  I find myself completely relaxed now when I get tucked into aero because of my fit, and I have a road bike! I am only averaging 18-20 mph, however I can see a huge difference going into any kind of wind, and it also makes downhills that much better.

2008-01-29 9:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
I was thinking about the wind factor on a bike and I think that counts toward an aerodynamic total mph. If you are going 15 mph with a 15 mph wind that is 30 mph and being aero is going to be a benefit. That is the assumption I am leaning towards. But I am definately not an authority. That was just the bike shops opinion and he seemed knowledgable.
2008-01-29 11:11 AM
in reply to: #1180814

User image

Regular
Petaluma, CA
Donto - 2008-01-28 6:39 PM

See what a change even in the standard TP can do for you!  Great job on the run, that's an impressive decrease in times.  Capillary building at it's best showing up.

Don,

Thanks for the kind words. I am trying to work on my running because it is my weakest of the three sports. I currrently run Tues and Thurs on the treadmill at a 10min/mile pace. Each week I add .5 mile with today being my first day of 4.5 miles. I was thinking I would get to a total of 6 miles and then slowly increase the pace. The longest race I have planned this season is an Oly at the end of April. Do you think I should continue past 6 miles, to say 7 or 8 and then increase the pace? Considering last July was my first run (1.8 miles in 20min, lots of walking) I think I am making progress. Just looking for some experienced input on weather I should go longer or harder.

Thanks,
Scott R
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15