BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2008-01-07 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1139661

User image

Subject: RE: triOK's group - The best group - Closed

coldheat - 2008-01-07 3:08 PM Robyn or anyone who is up on bike dear. I need serious help with picking out the right aero bars for my bike. I have a WDS 1000 Trek road bike with 25" wheels and the standard handlebars at the moment. Im pretty tiny..about five feet 100 pounds... my goal race is the musselman half iron this summer so i really need aero bars, but im not sure what to get. I'm a poor college student so i cant blow my pay check on it, but i'm willing to buy something above dirt cheap with high hopes that it will last. any suggestions?

I have a pair that I will GIVE you if you can use them.  They are on my road bike at the moment, a little scuffed up from a crash last season, but if you can hang tight 'til I get my new wheels, they will be all yours.  Profile carbon aerostrykes... not a cheap pair of bars, but I won't need them relatively soon.  I am just waiting for trixie to take me bike shopping.

2008-01-07 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1136842

User image

dickey_moe - 2008-01-06 4:14 AM Dear Keith, I hope this was what you wanted to do, if not please correct me:

2008 Mentor Group:

Mentor: triOK (Robyn, Michigan)

aber4 (Alan, South Dakota)
Aviator1596 (Bennet, Oklahoma)
azelizabeth (Elizabeth, Arizona)
beaker29 (Darcey, New Jersey)
BozNC (Boz, North Carolina)
coldheat (Sarah)
cworley (Clay, Indiana)
denny.l (Lesley, Texas)
dickey_moe (Torsten, Glasgow, UK)
ditchdoc (Rueben, Alabama)
gator416 (Heather, South Carolina)
jogo (Joanne, Michigan)
krludwig (Keith, California)
kruss (katie, Colorado)
ldubbe (Lisa, California)

lkagop (Lora)
lmscozz (Lynn, California)
Mama J (Julia, New Mexico)
mifiremedic (Curt, Michigan)
mjfleming (Jeanie, Ontario, Canada)
ny15298
razorxp (David, Ohio)
rel3427 (Bob, GA)
scubaman1 (Thomas, Oklahoma)
shanaspree (Laura, Colorado)
shaybrackney (Shay, Colorado)
stayfocused (Jay, Connecticut)
teash (Pennsylvania)
truthministriez (Zach)

Cheers, Torsten[/QUOTE

Holy crap... I didn't know my group had gotten this big... Thanks for posting that.  Its ok.. lots of peeps means we can have group challenges!!!  Who's in for a challenge?

I am, I am!!!

2008-01-07 3:17 PM
in reply to: #1136994

User image

grnidone - 2008-01-06 10:03 AM Hello, I just got my ears pierced yesterday and was told *after* the piercing that I cannot swim for a month. I guess January will be intensive cycling and running. I guess in the meantime I will have to read my swim book again to recall some old techniques. I about cried when she told me that. To let you guys know, I was in Robin's group this last fall. I'm planning on 4 possibly 5 tris this year: Flower Mound TX, Iron Girl in Irving TX, Rockwall Tri in Rockwall TX, and a triathlon with my friend in Xanten, Germany. I'd also like to do the Danskin in Austin, TX, but have no idea when that is. I am also considering the Toyota tri in Dallas. I'm still in the planning phase right now. Today, I am going to finalize a training plan. Basically, I'm taking the "Couch to Sprint" freebie training plan that I used last year and will tweak to intensify it.

Ohhhhhh.... that sucks, Heather.... but run run run to make up for it!  Glad to have you in the group again for this season!!

2008-01-07 3:32 PM
in reply to: #1136248

User image

Umm I'm from Alabama....we just got computers here two weeks ago. and they made me cut my mullet before they would give me mine.  But I do like this Intra-net thang.

Please, please, please tell me that you have "before" pictures.

2008-01-07 4:13 PM
in reply to: #1139676

Veteran
*jaw drops* wow...that's incredible...thank you so much...i don't even know what else to say other than thank you and you're saving my butt. Take your time, and just let me know when you're all set.

again..wow..thank you!!!!! *dances about*
2008-01-07 4:15 PM
in reply to: #1139687

Veteran
What's a group challenge?

2008-01-07 4:20 PM
in reply to: #1108061

Veteran
One more thing...I have some female related questions as far as half iron attire/bathroom procedure.. do we wear bikini bottoms under trishorts.. or just go commando? and two...what are the bathroom procedures for each leg of the half iron?...guys have it so much easier in this aspect..
2008-01-07 4:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
You go commando. And you do so with bicycle shorts as well.

These are made to wick moisture away from the body. You don't want moisture to build up as you can get nasty things like yeast infections.
2008-01-07 4:39 PM
in reply to: #1139942

User image

Extreme Veteran
Commando is the only way. Wait what were we talking about? ha ha

grnidone - 2008-01-07 5:33 PM

You go commando. And you do so with bicycle shorts as well.

These are made to wick moisture away from the body. You don't want moisture to build up as you can get nasty things like yeast infections.
2008-01-07 4:41 PM

Veteran
Commando it is! And what about female bathroom routine for half iron?
2008-01-07 4:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Russell, KS
You go before. Might also want to have a BM before the race as you *don't* want to stop for that.

And, a *lot* of people hit the toilets before the race...there is *always a line. Try and get in early if you can.

You should be sweating enough that "needing" to go won't be much of an issue.

That being said, you want to hydrate, but no *over* hydrate so you have to pee all the time.

Edited by grnidone 2008-01-07 4:46 PM

2008-01-07 4:46 PM
in reply to: #1139975

Veteran
thank you!!!
2008-01-07 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1136275

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
ditchdoc - 2008-01-05 6:56 PM

krludwig - 2008-01-05 5:54 PM

Hey gang, today is a huge day for me. I finally jogged ran a mile for the first time without walking!

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100333&posts=1&start=1

You go brotha man!!!! Aint it great!?!?!

Wohoooo

Big, big, big congratulations on that Keith. I just did my first mile at the end of the summer so I totally understand how awesome you must feel. It took me 10-11 minutes, but, hey, I beat the mile.

Congratulations again. You're on your way.

BTW, I love your signature!
2008-01-07 6:06 PM
in reply to: #1139304

User image

Master
Dothan, Al

grnidone - 2008-01-07 1:32 PM
Okay Guys, I need help with some traing / work scheduling. So here's a chance to hone your organizational skills... When I am at the Fire Dept. the only training I can do is run. When I am on duty at the EMS I really can't train at all.
Wrong wrong wrong. If you have a lot of "wait" time at the "hurry up and wait" jobs you have, you can do the following: WEIGHTS: You can purchase some cheap-o bands and do weight exercises in your down time at both jobs. they are light weight and can be taken anywhere. Strengthen those ligaments so when you do work the muscles for real you don't injure yourself. STRETCH: Take time to stretch every day. The more limber you are, the less likely you will injure yourself and have down time. CORE EXERCISES: to build up the core muscles which help you when you swim. You can find them at a great article here: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=... READ: Get yourself the "Total Immersion" swimming book and read. Many of the forms can be practiced on the floor without water. VISUALIZE: If you have downtime, visualize yourself running strong, swimming a perfect form, and cycling without hurting. Really get into the moment IN YOUR HEAD. Olympic athletes do it because the brain doesn't know the difference if you're actually doing the event or just "doing it in your brain." It's been proven to make you more efficient and better. All of this is "training". Good luck!

You are absolutly correct on all points. I have used mental imaging before, and I will attest ( sp?) that it works 100%. I just bought the resistancce bands last week, and can't wait to put them to use at EMS. Unfortunetly at the Fire Dept,as a Capt. I ahve a bunch of admin B.S. dumped on me so it seems I rarely have any down time here, ( I should be typing reports in the computer right now...but that's boring LOL). I do try to make sure that I along with my crew, get at least 45 minutes of PT per shift.

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-07 6:07 PM
2008-01-07 6:11 PM
in reply to: #1139758

User image

Master
Dothan, Al
triOK - 2008-01-07 3:32 PM

Umm I'm from Alabama....we just got computers here two weeks ago. and they made me cut my mullet before they would give me mine.  But I do like this Intra-net thang.

Please, please, please tell me that you have "before" pictures.

Oh you mean the pics of me down by the river, wearing my Lynrd Skynrd shirt and "jorts", standing by my Camaro, with the Marlboro hanging out of my mouth, and the Budweiser Tall Boy can in my hand, dancing around to .38 Special playing on the cassette deck? Silver mirrored sunglasses and Mullet? THAT PICTURE???

Edited by ditchdoc 2008-01-07 6:33 PM
2008-01-07 6:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
I'm so happy to hear I'm not the only one who feels panicked in the pool. I went twice and couldn't get my breath so I could barely keep my head under water to swim. I just kept gasping and couldn't relax. I haven't been back since because I felt so silly. I go in the morning and I'm practically the only one there besides the lifeguard who I'm sure is watching me thinking, "Well at least I have some entertainment at 5am. What is this girl doing here?" Not really what I want to get up an hour early for. I still have hope, obviously, but I'm avoiding the pool like no other.

On a happier note, I actually stopped thinking about it and got out there for the first time this year and ran. I ran/walked a little, for a mile. My dog stopped me a few times, so it took me 12 minutes, but I was happy. I guess you have to start somewhere. We'll see how tomorrow goes.

2008-01-07 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1140194

Veteran
Anyone who is panicked in the pool...the first thing you should do when you get in is relax. Walk around a little, maybe just float. Secondly, don't let other people discourage you from being in the pool. Everyone has to start somewhere, and if theyre going to think poorly of your efforts then thats their problem... everyone has been in your position before. the only way you get better is by getting in the pool.

Start with breast stroke or back stroke...something which allows you to breath more frequently than freestyle. A tip for freestyle: DONT pick up your head...it makes you sink which in turn causes you to panick/not breathe full breaths. I gave Alan some guidelines for your swim structure, give that a read through for immediate tips. I also suggest looking for an instructor, masters swimmers program, or at the very least some good books!

Good luck and get back in that pool!
2008-01-07 7:29 PM
in reply to: #1139966

User image

coldheat - 2008-01-07 4:41 PM Commando it is! And what about female bathroom routine for half iron?

Don't stand next to any one in the water.

Don't draft, or you *will* get peed on.

2008-01-07 8:29 PM

User image

Veteran
San Antonio
Hey Kids!

Glad you had a safe trip Robyn! I hope you are enjoying your new home.

Swimming was GREAT!!! It felt really good to be back in the water. After so much side stroke, back paddling floating and floundering last year I really feel like I've accomplished a major goal. The swim lessons helped more than I thought.

I was concentrating so hard on stroke etc that I have no idea how far I swam but I was in the pool for an hour and was swimming 95% of the time. I was rolling, elbows up, pulling well and breathing!!! I've got to get a lap counter! Thanks for the workout info Sarah. I need to put some structure to my practice now. Yea!!!!

I registered today for the Lone Star Tri Festival Sprint in Galveston March 29th. I even book my room and paid for it! No turning back now. WooHoo!

I'm up for a challenge guys! What do you want to do?

A very happy..
Lesley

2008-01-07 8:34 PM

Veteran
What are these challenges?! I want to do one!
2008-01-07 9:19 PM

User image

Master
I'm in for a challenge, and given the feel of recent posts, it looks like it should be a SWIM challenge......

2008-01-07 9:28 PM
in reply to: #1140600

User image

Veteran
Please not a SWIM challenge. I don't even know what these challenges are but a swim challenge doesn't sound like much fun...although I'm sure that would do me good!
2008-01-07 9:29 PM

User image

Veteran
I am curious... I have come down with a nasty cold. Do you work out when you are sick? My body feels really fatigued...but I do not have a fever.

Opinions?

Elizabeth
2008-01-07 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1140069

User image

Veteran
I forgot to offer my congrats to Keith too. Each of the milestones is a major accomplishment. Helps keep you going knowing you reached one you can certainly make it to 2 and then more.
2008-01-07 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1140631

User image

Master

azelizabeth - 2008-01-07 9:29 PM I am curious... I have come down with a nasty cold. Do you work out when you are sick? My body feels really fatigued...but I do not have a fever. Opinions? Elizabeth

I just came off a cold that lasted a week.  I worked out last Thursday, and probably shouldn't have, then felt guilty for being sick and not working out all weekend.  I would rest, drink lots of fluids, and if you are feeling better tomorrow or Wednesday do something light just to get out there.  YMMV.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » triOK's group - The best group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 52