BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-03-06 5:35 AM
in reply to: #1255091

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - Full

Manatee Express - 2008-03-05 7:52 PM As races are right around the corner, I think this thread can be helpful for you guys! http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=105950&posts=8&start=1[/QUOTE]

Some good advice in that thread.  Before my first tri last year, Ken gave me the same kind of advice -- practice transitions.  I felt very silly doing it, I'm sure my neighbors were staring at me like I was crazy, but it sure helped!

I've managed to get to both of my tri races early enough to set up my transition spot at the end of a rack.  But I can see how easy it would be to get lost in a transition area.  I did a reverse duathlon last year, and when I came back from the run I couldn't see my bike!  Now I have an orange bike, so you've got to wonder how I could miss it... but I did.  I think I was so rattled that I just couldn't see straight.  There was a wonderful volunteer who saw my number, spied my bike, and pointed me to it!  So part of the advice in that thread was to mark your transition spot somehow -- with a balloon or a ribbon or something.  My cousin draped a wild beach towel over her bike so she would see it coming out of the water.

2008-03-07 12:07 AM
in reply to: #1255091

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Ken - good info !!!
2008-03-09 5:35 PM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Weekly recap:

Best week time wise for the year, especially good because I scrapped Saturday because of weather.

3 swims 7,000
2 bikes 51
3 Run 11

Not feeling strong on the bike but ready to ramp up. Daily light savings, yeah baby.

Ankle seems to have recovered finally and I plan on pressing the run back up again.

I see some races coming up on ur calendars, do you feel ready?
2008-03-10 5:44 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - Open

Did ok last week.  After the half marathon on Sunday, I took a couple of days off running and rode my trainer instead.  Recap:

3 short trainer rides

3 short runs at a decent pace

1 long bike ride (outside!)

I'm glad it is now daylight savings time, which means I'll be able to get some biking in on some afternoons (assuming work lets up at some point!).  But I run before work and I'm up now, and it is pitch black out there -- that's definitely the down side of this time of year!  I'll run with a flashlight and stay off paths for awhile.

2008-03-10 12:56 PM
in reply to: #1261714

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken & Gang,

Had a good week this week - I took more time off then usual - but I ended up finishin the week out strong with some actual road time on the bike and I really stepped outta my comfort zone with the swim today.  My running is on point - I feel pretty strong with that so I am really focusing on swimming and bike for the remainder of the training before MAP Tri which is on the 29th!  I actually rode with the members of the tri club this weekend - QCTC - Queen City Tri Club here in Charlotte, all these folks are super cool, most have alot of Tri's and Ironmen under their belts so good group to learn from for newbie like me!  We rode the actual course I am riding for the tri this month - it's about 12 miles and not to shabby  - not alot of hills..there are some but mainly nice gradual ones - no steep's...there is one where I had to crank down to my middle chain, but other then that one hill I plan on ridin the whole course on my hi chain and just stickin it out....my pace was a lil slower since I was ridin with the slow  - medium pace group - I really just wanted to get a feel for the course and plus me being the only mountain biker on the ride - well - that just seemed smarter to hang back and not try and keep up with all the Trekkers on the road bikes in the fast group.   After the ride - which the wifey did with me - we took off for a run as soon as we got back - so I could get a feel for what it's gonna feel like to actually ride  - transistion  - then run.  My legs were pretty stiff from the ride so the 1st 5 min's or so was sorta just gettin my body to adjust to running now..ran for about 15 minutes then stretched out.  Felt good to get a taste of what's in store come the 29th.  As for the bike course - I should be able to smoke it  - seriously  - not bad at all, I see me getting in done in about 35 min......

My swim today - I stepped outta my comfort zone - I attempted my 1st real non stop distance swim today over 100 yards ....I have not done this yet.  The most I have been doing is about 100...non stop.  Today I did 200 non stop in about 5:30 - and then after catch my breathe - 300 yards in about 8:30 min's ...so that averages to just about a 3 min x100 yard pace..which in my book..is A-ok for now.  I should be able to finish my swim for the tri in about 15 min.  I really focused on rolling over on my back - recouping - then rollin back over and swimming on....  Next time I hit the pool - 500 yards non -stop is my goal.....but I had a good swim today..and learned quite alot about how well my training plan has done for me..and I feel like I am where I should be.

Edited by papahawk 2008-03-10 3:42 PM
2008-03-11 8:33 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Rusty,

I think u are gonna do great. Couple of tips that might help:

Bike to Run transition - when you hit the last mile on the bike, go to an easier gear and spin you your legs out a bit. That will make the transition to running go more smoothly.

Swim - Overswim your race distance. You have done well on building your swim skills and will continue to improve, but you can probably swim 800 without stopping right now. Shoot for that before race day. It will do wonders for your confidence and I expect you will do better than you think in the race!

2008-03-11 3:31 PM
in reply to: #1264885

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Ken,

Thanks for the tips - I will def take you up about that for the T2 going from bike to run.  I can understand why I would want to spin my legs a little faster since the run is like that....I remember coming into the T2 this weekend during our practice ride and I was on my hi chain...so..when I got off the bike my legs were used to that slower pace but with resistance of course cause the last 300 yards of the cycle course is uphill and it's a lil steep - I came out of the saddle and pulled up the beast!! ..so..that makes total sense what you are sayin.  For the swim - that also is what I have been told by other tri veterans - over swim in training and come race day it will not be such a shocker.  I will do that as well - this Friday I intend on swimming the 500 non-stop just like I will on race day so I can get a feel for my pace and time...then the next day - I will go further - like 7 to 8..depending on how I am feeling...but I think your right.  If I had a swim coach standing over me he/she would be telling me to get off the wall and keep going...you can do this...LOL!  So - that's the plan...swim like a fish...nice and relaxed - but steady on my pace....rollover on my back if I need to regroup and catch my breathe - then roll back into my stroke and swim on!!!  That's how I gotta do this ....no more stops!!!  ANyway - thanks again for the wise words and encouragment...I certainly hope I do well...as long as I finish and finish strong..then I will have met my goal.  I really think the cycle part is gonna be my strongest part of the race....after mapping and riding the course I know the terrain and I know where my pace should be...I hope to catch up any lost time on the cycle part....that is w/out blowin my reserves for the 5k run....gettin amped about this now...it's really gonna happen..my 1st TRI!!! 

2008-03-12 5:28 AM
in reply to: #1265847

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
papahawk - 2008-03-11 3:31 PM

....gettin amped about this now...it's really gonna happen..my 1st TRI!!! 

This is going to be such a great rush for you!

2008-03-12 5:31 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
I have a question about the actual race.  I got a garmin for Christmas, and now I can't live without it.  But how do you use it for races (or do you)?  Last year I wore a watch that was water resistant, but I don't want to submerge my GPS.  Do you put it on in the swim to bike transition?  Then would I wear my other watch for the swim portion, or just depend on the timers?  What a dilemma!
2008-03-12 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
I wear a timex body link and the gps is a separate piece that I grab when I start the run. I don't use it on the swim or bike. I don't know the answer on the garmin but the owners manual should say something about it. You may want to do a search of the forums as I expect the topic has come up before.

k
2008-03-12 8:45 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
found this thread. Not sure it answers the question, but sounds like swimming with it might be iffy.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

2008-03-12 7:33 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Sledge,

I had a Garmin 205, the little brother of your 305, and it has a multisport function that allows you to switch between swimming, biking, and running effortlessly.  You will not get much data during the swim as the HR and pace will be off somewhat from being submerged in the water. It was good for keeping the time and gave me a good split time when I did some bricks during training.  I never had any issues with putting mine in the water, pool or salt water, and I always made sure that I rinsed it off really well after the race.  Hope this helps out.  There is also the Virtual Training partner mode that will act as somewhat of a pacesetter during the bike and the run if you set it up that way.  I am still looking at getting either the 305 or the new 405 but I want to read some reviews first.  Good luck and I am certain that you will do great with or without the technology.

2008-03-13 5:29 AM
in reply to: #1268484

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
cchapman3 - 2008-03-12 7:33 PM

Sledge,

I had a Garmin 205, the little brother of your 305, and it has a multisport function that allows you to switch between swimming, biking, and running effortlessly.  You will not get much data during the swim as the HR and pace will be off somewhat from being submerged in the water. It was good for keeping the time and gave me a good split time when I did some bricks during training.  I never had any issues with putting mine in the water, pool or salt water, and I always made sure that I rinsed it off really well after the race.  Hope this helps out.  There is also the Virtual Training partner mode that will act as somewhat of a pacesetter during the bike and the run if you set it up that way.  I am still looking at getting either the 305 or the new 405 but I want to read some reviews first.  Good luck and I am certain that you will do great with or without the technology.

Chip, before deciding on the 405 vs. the 305, you should definitely read the link Ken sent.  I don't know anything about the 405, but the folks on that thread were saying that the 405 does not have the multisport feature.  It sounds like that is important to you.  And it also sounds like you were lucky with your 205 -- sometimes people did have problems with water resistance.

And Ken, as always, thanks for doing the research for me!  I don't think I want to risk wearing it in the water.  Someone on that thread said they did exactly what I was thinking -- switching from my watch to my GPS after the swim. 

I'm not going to be able to do the Mulletman Tri this year.   I had forgotten, but when I looked at my schedule I had signed up for a class in Atlanta that weekend.  So it looks like my first tri this year will be My First Tri (again!) in June.

2008-03-13 1:36 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Cher,

Sorry you cant make the mullet man but there are a couple of other good options in May around here if your interested. The Alabama Coastal is May 3 in Gulf Shores and the Grandman is May 24 in Fairhope. The Alabama coastal 1000s, 20 bike, 5 run, while the Grandman is 600 16 5k.
2008-03-13 5:22 PM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Hi, Ken. Is your group really open? Because I would like to join if it's not too late.

My name is Natalie Evans. I did my first and only triathlon, the Accenture Chicago Triathlon international distance, last summer, in a pact with my little sister. I imploded on the run, but I made it to the finish line running after walking many parts of the first three miles, and I was hooked. (When I made the transition from the bike to run, having never even heard of a brick much less done one, I contemplated quitting. But then I figured I'd be letting my sister down, so I slogged on.)

My goal for this year is to shave time off my run, which is by far my weakest area. I'm just now getting back into training because of a particularly hectic winter in terms of work obligations. I'm a medical resident, so some months I work 80 hours a week, which doesn't leave much time for sleeping, much less training. I continue to commute to work by bicycle year-round (only 10 miles round trip, but I ride hard), which has helped me keep some fitness. This month I started back to the pool and laced up my running shoes as well.

As part of my goal, I also would like to lose some weight (5'6", 148). I'm lugging around at least 10 extra pounds of fat around my midsection--which does not look good in a skintight tri suit!

My big race will be the Chicago one, but I'm interested in doing other sprint triathlons leading up to it and perhaps doing a second Olympic distance in September, if I can find one that fits my schedule. Someday I'd be interested in a half-Ironman, but not this year.

What I bring to the table: I was on my high school swim team, and I've continued to swim over the years, so I'm comfortable in the water. I live by Lake Michigan and bought a wetsuit this year, so I will practice in open water when the water temperature is compatible with human life (probably late May-early June). I've been a road cyclist since I was 16, so I'm comfortable on the bike and love to ride. I've had a heart rate monitor since the late '90s and am familiar with heart rate training, although I haven't used it anywhere near its full potential.

I'm looking for some motivation and help with honing my training plan, and people to keep me honest. I have very little discipline regarding sticking to workouts or a diet. I have a noted sweet tooth that has been hard to curb and made weight loss a problem.

I just signed up with BeginnerTriathlete and haven't started my log yet.

What do you think?

--Natalie
2008-03-14 5:18 AM
in reply to: #1270183

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

Manatee Express - 2008-03-13 1:36 PM Cher, Sorry you cant make the mullet man but there are a couple of other good options in May around here if your interested. The Alabama Coastal is May 3 in Gulf Shores and the Grandman is May 24 in Fairhope. The Alabama coastal 1000s, 20 bike, 5 run, while the Grandman is 600 16 5k.

Thanks for letting me know about the races over there.  I probably can't do the Alabama Coastal (my plan right now is to get the collarbone plate out that week), but I might be good for the Grandman!

2008-03-14 8:49 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Hey Natalie,

Welcome to the group. I reopened it as we had 2 people that signed up then disappeared and more people make it more interesting. You have a solid background with all the swimming and biking so I expect you can do very well in this sport. Feel free to post questions on any topic, we have a smart group and can find the answer to most questions.

Welcome

Ken
2008-03-14 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Natalie,

When is your Chicago race?
2008-03-14 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1271751

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Manatee Express - 2008-03-14 9:11 AM

Natalie,

When is your Chicago race?

August 24--sorry, I assumed it was the center of EVERYONE's universe, not just mine.

Last year I used (but didn't stick to) the BeginnerTriathlete 20-week Olympic run-focused plan, and that's what I'm going to use again this year, starting officially on Monday (my weeks run Monday-Sunday). However, 20 weeks will be up before the actual triathlon, and I haven't figured out what I'm going to do with the extra 3-4 weeks. Maybe an extended taper? A lot of bricks?

The Chicago race is great for first-timers because it's totally flat here. The only "hill" is the entrance ramp onto Lakeshore Drive. The race is also well organized, and it's an absolute rush at the end because there are so many spectators.

I've used this week to establish my maximum heart rate in biking and running--193 and 202. I probably won't do much heart rate training in the pool, as I find it impractical. As I alluded to in my training log, I'm feeling a little jumpy from two maximal efforts this week; I think my resting heart rate is up.

It seems like this group skews southerly (or at least warmer). Training in Chicago is challenging because our weather is spectacularly awful six months out of the year. Summer, however, is glorious, and that's the only way we can stand to live here.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to improve both endurance and speed on the run, send them my way. That's why I'm here.

Have a great weekend!

--Natalie
2008-03-14 4:58 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Nat, the other group members are:

Chip (cchapman)- training for Olympic to half ironman
Rusty- (papahawk)First sprint coming up
Cheri- (sledge) Veteren strong runner and 2nd year triathlete

I think you will find them encouraging and helpful.

From your notes, you seems like swimming will be a breeze for you and running looks to be your challenge. That said and given the length of your plan discrepency, I would stretch out the base phase especially as it relates to your running. Strong base equals endurance to keep going. I will give that plan a look and see what its like.

Can you give me a little more background on your biking. It sounds like you have a great compfort level which is good but I am interested in knowing more about ur distance capabilities.

I think doing a couple of sprints leading up to your Olympic is a real good idea. It will help you to understand how hard you can go on the bike and still finish the run!
2008-03-15 12:02 PM
in reply to: #1272936

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Manatee Express - 2008-03-14 4:58 PM

Can you give me a little more background on your biking. It sounds like you have a great compfort level which is good but I am interested in knowing more about ur distance capabilities.

Hi, everyone!

So, biking. I started road cycling when I was 16. I additionally started commuting by bicycle year-round two years ago, so I ride at least 50 miles each week. Last year when I was prepping for the Chicago tri, I supplemented those 50 miles with two slightly longer road rides--usually 20 or so miles on one day and 30+ on another, both at endurance pace. No speed work or big-chainring stuff. This year I've been on my road bike only once since Christmas because it's been too cold to ride except for utilitarian purposes.

In the past, I've been comfortable with longer rides--50-60 miles on a Saturday or Sunday, although I didn't ride more than 40 miles at once all last year. I've done a century before.

For those of you who are losing weight as part of your training, what kinds of things do you do? I cannot lose weight through exercise alone, and I have a really hard time controlling my eating. I love to eat, good food and bad. I also get too many empty calories from beer.

2008-03-15 6:46 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Natalie,

You got great bike base too! So all we gotta do is help you with the run. We got a very good runner in the group so I think we can help!
2008-03-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: #1270779

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Welcome Natalie!,

You could say I am the rookie of the group so I have a feelin I will be learnin from you more then you learning from me, but anything I can do to help I will.  We have a good group and I look forward to chatting with you.  Ken and Sledge and Chapman - all good folks and lot's of knowledge here...you came to the right place!!!  Welcome aboard the Express!!!

Regards,

Rusty  :-)  AKA: papahawk

2008-03-16 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1274515

New user
Chicago, Illinois
papahawk - 2008-03-16 10:56 AM

Welcome Natalie!,

You could say I am the rookie of the group so I have a feelin I will be learnin from you more then you learning from me, but anything I can do to help I will.  We have a good group and I look forward to chatting with you.  Ken and Sledge and Chapman - all good folks and lot's of knowledge here...you came to the right place!!!  Welcome aboard the Express!!!

Regards,

Rusty  :-)  AKA: papahawk

Thanks, Rusty. I see you have your sprint triathlon coming up very soon. Cool!

I definitely have triathlon fever right now. However, I will need some inspiration to get through April, when I'm on overnight call every fourth day in the cardiac care unit. My training will surely suffer.

Hey, does anyone know how to actually subscribe to the thread so that I don't always have to go to the link looking for new messages? Or can it not be done with the free membership?

--Natalie
2008-03-16 5:59 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Natalie,

You can go to your training log settings and paste the URL on your links and it will put the link on your home page. Cheri may know some more tricks on this as her page has more stuff on it than I know how to do.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18