BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #2668973

User image

Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
lufferly - 2010-02-11 6:21 PM STEVE A, have you thought about wearing some compression socks to work on the days that you run? I think there was some discussion about this over in the Tri Talk forum last week. (Hopefully, it wasn't with this group?). Some posters were wearing them to bed on their long run days, etc. and they seemed to think they helped.

DIANE, exciting news about the bike. I'm with ANNE, we need a pic of your first ride!

STEVE B, hope your wife's testing went well today.

Now, I guess I better go get my trainer and bike out of the middle of the living room before my husband and son get home!

Lisa

Thanks Lisa, I'll give that a shot!  Great idea.

2010-02-12 11:51 AM
in reply to: #2667332

New user

Steve,

Interesting...Definitely some lingering discomfort below to the outside. Last night I ended up going to the Red Wings game (such a dissappointing shoutout loss to the Sharks) and ended up going down 7 flights of stairs at one time. Distinct increase in discomfort. Knees kind of scare me, so I'm almost at the point of sucking it up and going to see my doctor to get a referal to see a sports doc. The last thing I want to do is end up causing long term damage, especially as I'm thinking about doing the 1/2 marathon at the Detroit marathon. Also, with the crack pop, when that happens to either knee I know they finally loosened up & when rolling my ankles it happens everytime.

So midfoot would be where? Forefoot then would be? I figured I was going for a short run so why not try something a little different to see what it feels like. If it were absolutely perfectly comfortable then I would have continued with it. At this time though, I don't think I'm ready to change my running style. I'd consider it early on in a off season.

Your comments about how to break up the swim make sense. I might be off in left field on this, but I've been trying to increase my swim distance between breaks. Once I know I can do 800-1000m straight with no break then I could see when not going that distance working in speed work and more drills (heck I don't even know if I am doing drill work correctly when I do do it). Not sure, maybe I am off base here and should look at swimming the opposite way. That big clock isn't so big @ my gym. I use it as a rough estimate of my time but between counting laps I never recall exactly what time I started.

I'm a tough find in a bookstore!!   It seems like it would be an interesting read.

I'm watching EBay for a 305 at the price I am willing to pay.

Enjoy the busy weekend. I'm heading back to see my parents next weekend, so it looks like next week will be my rest week.

Welcome to Mandy!

I agree with the comments about mountain bike shoes. With the clips recessed in and the tread blocks for traction, they are much easier to walk in (or sprint if running after something in the wind...). For people first getting used to clipless I would think using MTB shoes/cleats would offer another level of ocmfort since you are not walking on the cleat. I've used both and walking MTB shoes are definitely easier. As for SteveA's comment about weight, you are correct. As with all bike parts though, less weight just costs $$. For most people other than the real competitors, I'm not sure the 0.5 lb (probably a high estimation of difference of weight) would make a major difference when compared to really being able to run/walk in the bike shoes.

2010-02-12 12:45 PM
in reply to: #2669113

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
stevebradley - 2010-02-11 9:45 PM
MARK -

Hmmm. I think I saw the article you mentioned, but neglecetd to read it. I will root around in my bvarious stcks and piles to see if I can find that issue.

I am not a white tea drinker, but I have heard that claim before and probably should try to adopt the habit. Can't hurt, right?

Is there something kind of chronic that you take Aleve for every morning, or is it just preventative? Probably one-a-morning won't hurt you, especially if you have it on a full stomach -- and so long as you're not prone to bouts of stomach distress.

Hey Steve B
A little bit if both. Since I have lost weight I have less knee joint soreness, but if I don't take an NSAID when I run more than 3 miles I have noticeable discomfort. I tolerate the Aleve fine, so no need to change, but I think the bod could use a break from it from time to time.

Welcome to the new members, I'm sure you will find it a great expereince - both informative and supportive.
Mark
2010-02-12 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

Hey everyone.  Welcome to the group Mandy! 

Yes Denise, I am in the part of TX that got the record snow (12"+) and it is a hoot.  It is in the upper 30's so it has not frozen yet but everything here is closed today.  Went to Home Depot early this morning to get paint for the kids and then to the club to work out.  Home Depot had no electricity and the club was closed.  Having lived most of my life in MN, the biggest fear with snow and ice here is the other drivers.  But not many cars out today.  So guess I won't get my swim in but will do a treadmill run at home this afternoon.  Looks like it will be a few days before I try the bike.  In the meantime, it is in the dining room so I can look at it regularly.

For all who could explain things so much better than I can thank you for your clarifications.  Yes the extra traction on the shoes was his point in suggesting the MTB shoes and clips over the standard road bike shoe.  I have a pair of the road bike shoes my friend sent but he showed me the others.  They are hard in the middle, but the cleat is recessed and they have the traction ridges so they are much easier to move in without the slipperiness of the road bike shoes.  If the slight difference in weight is the only drawback they may be worth a try.  I know given the slippery sole on the road bike shoes I have here I wouldn't be moving very fast in them.  And I am not far enough into this to have thought about having the shoes clipped on in advance and running in socks through the transition areaSmile.  So many things to think about!

Hope that everyone has a great training weekend, and Steve glad you're getting some time with your daughter.  We can wait until you are freed up again on Monday.

2010-02-12 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2669997

User image

Champion

STEVE -

And thank you, too, for further insights into what Diane's LBS guy was maynbe getting at. I think I'd better expand my horizons some and learn about more than just on-road triathlons! ("Muddy Buddy" races, here I come????)

2010-02-12 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2670011

User image

Champion

STEVE again -

Yeah, I've been playing armchair doctor with the Lindsay Vonn situation, and I don't buy the bruised soft tissue explanation. I'm sure she knows what will come up with an x-ray or a bone scan, and she's just willing to put the blinders on and hope for the best.

When I had my tibial stress fracture, my incredibly knowledgeable sports medicine doctor, who is very far from an alarmist, told me the story of an olympic-calibre runner several years ago who kept training and racing through his own tibial s-f. He learned about this at a session at a conference which included film footage of him at a race, and the tibia just snapping through the skin and the part of the leg below it just flopping loosely as he went writhingly crashing to the ground. I can't really begin to imagine.....

Anyhow, that story was all the incentive I needed to stay off from running until Iwas fully healed! As for Vonn, I'm just hoping for her sake that it doesn't cause her too many problems. I can't see a skiier suffering anything like what happened to the runner, but if it agitates her enough so that a lot of her mental focus is on her leg rather than the intricacies of the course, then that's a resipe for disaster.

I do not have an especially high tolerance for pain, and my game gets thrown off pretty easily even in the face of relatively minor aches and pains. But there's agood chance that she is a whole lot tougher than I am, so it might turn out well for her.

Drive safely going to and from SG!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-12 7:06 PM

2010-02-12 5:28 PM
in reply to: #2670509

User image

Wow!  That would be terrible, to have the leg snap like that.  OUCH!  I hope for the best for Vonn.  I think this is likely her last Olympics (I htink this is her second or third?), and she has endorsement dollars likely coming from all directions, so financially, I suspect she's going to be OK.  If those are both the case, I can see her putting on the blinders.  If she gets lucky and the leg holds up, she can fulfill her dream.  If it goes bad, even if it were a career ending injury, if this were her last Olympics anyway, there's little downside I guess.

After what she went through with her back the last time, I can understand her rolling the dice.

(PS - found out that my blackberry does work, so I'll hopefully be posting smack-talk about the course on Saturday!)
2010-02-12 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2670705

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Did any of you catch her press conference the other night?  I think she will do anything, go through anything to get out there and compete - I am certainly cheering for her to be able to race without any problems (the leg snapping thing made me squirm).  She certainly has had her fair share of injury. 

Hopefully the rest days help her.  Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-02-12 7:04 PM
in reply to: #2668241

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
TriD64 - 2010-02-11 2:08 PM

All
Following this discussion about NSAIDS, I think I read somewhere recently (last edition of Triathlete magazine, maybe) that white tea has anti-inflammatory benefits. Does anyone know more about this or tried white tea for this effect? I take an Aleve every morning and would love to find an alternative.
Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark.

I've never heard of this but let me know if you try it. I tend to be an over-user of anti-inflammatory meds so I'd be interested in any natural alternatives.

Tracey

2010-02-12 7:05 PM
in reply to: #2667900

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
FoxfireTX - 2010-02-11 12:06 PM

stevebradley - 2010-02-11 6:18 AM DIANE - Any word from the bike shop yet? Huh? Huh? Any word? Is it ready yet? Huh? Life has to be pretty slow here in eastern Ontario to make it so that the biggest thrill in my life these days is living vicariously through you and your bike! How's your shoulder? Mine has been acting up some, not sure why. (Maybe it's a 2-for-1, wherein if I assume some of the joy of your new bike I also have to assume some of your shoulder woe. Yikes!) Bike ready? Huh?

Yup, picked it up last night!  Spent two hours with the guy at the bike shop who was incredibly helpful.  Took him a long time to find the instructions online to program the computer but he stuck to it until it is correct.  The really great news is that the frame is the right size for me.  He did not do a total fitting but adjusted the seat to the right height, etc.  He said it looks like it has very few miles on it.  Despite the shoes she sent, it is not a clipless pedal but has the cages.  He took off the strap that goes all the way around until I get used to the bike so I can put my foot down quickly.  He too suggested going with the clipless down the road but he suggested the mountain bike clipless rather than the traditional road bike clipless.  For doing tris, he said with the mountain bike clipless you get more traction on the sole of the shoes to move into and out of the transition area, while still getting the hardness of the shoe in the middle for pedaling.  Your thoughts Steve?  In any event, that is down the road.

Did not have a chance to test ride it yet.  It was dark by the time I got home and it is SNOWING here in North Texas today.  Given the forecast and temps, most likely won't be until Sunday at the earliest.  I've located and downloaded the Trek Manuals and specs, as well as the one I found for the computer.  Just working my way through it trying to figure everything out.  I alternate between being extremely excited and very nervous.  The shifting system is totally new to me, my bikes in the past had the turn things on the handle bars.  He also cautioned me about speed, that it will be much faster than anything I've ridden before.  I think for my first trial ride I need to go to a deserted parking lot.  All in all it is pretty exciting, feels like I am one step closer to really doing this. 

Not having any problems with my shoulders at the moment.  I did not swim yesterday, did 18 minutes on the stationary bike followed  by a 12 min run.  I continue to be amazed that I can run so much faster after coming off the bike than I usually do.  Feels very weird.  Back in the pool tomorrow and I am curious to see how my shoulders hold up.  I am doing very little upper body strength training as that seemed to be hindering my shoulders, just my specified rehab exercises.  I also am in the process of changing my recovery day to Thursdays (today) to rest everything before my longer workouts on the weekends.  So my shoulders should be in good shape for the pool tomorrow.

TRACEY, thanks for the tip on getting my legs up.  My trainer still wants me using a pull buoy to reduce the drag on my shoulders but I will keep it in mind for down the road. 

DIANE:

How exciting about your bike! I'm hoping to get a new bike myself in April.

Tracey

2010-02-12 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2668838

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
latestarter - 2010-02-11 7:27 PM

TRACEY,

Sorry to say I have nothing to share from my podiatrist visit - pretty much a waste of time in my view.    A couple of things I am doing though are wearing some really good hiking boots during the day (even in the house) and icing and massaging the foot.    The hiking boots are sort of like an air cast - keeps the foot nice and stable with little movement which helps the healing process (if there is anything that needs healing/rest).   I am pretty much grasping at anything right now that might help.   And the foot does feel really good with the boots on.   Not so, when I walk around in socks or flimsy mocassins, etc.   Although there is no pain, I can feel the nerve being twingy without good support.

I also did something today that  Steve mentioned in an earlier post about taking the shoe off and rubbing the foot vigorously when the neuroma got really painful.    It really worked for me.   I did it after every km (indoor track) and had no pain for the last 3 kms.    That's not going to be too helpful in a race, but maybe even once might make a difference.

Good luck on your race this weekend.  

ANNE:

Thanks for the well wishes! My sister in law is running the race with me too so we'll be supporting each other. She's faster than me though (maybe a 9 or 10 minute mile?)

Sorry to hear you didn't get any help from your podiatrist.

I was looking around a little bit online and decided to buy these running shoes:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VUOCWQ/ref=oss_product

I've always used running shoes with a ton of cushion and not so much support, because I always assumed that I needed that with my high arches. The shoes I have now (Mizunos) are VERY cushiony, almost to the point where they don't seem to "hold" my feet properly (my feet roll out to the sides). So I'm starting to think that maybe what I actually need for the neuroma is better support... The NB shoes are decidedly orthopedic-looking, but I don't care as long as I'm pain free!

2010-02-12 7:10 PM
in reply to: #2670509

User image

Champion

Is the ski world one in which there are always up-and-comers snapping at the heels of the
'established" skiers -- even more than in most other olympic-level sports? I'm just wondering if there is more of an onus for skiers to carry on in the face of injuries, just so they don't get bounced in favor of some hot new talent.

Just curious.

2010-02-12 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2669129

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-11 11:00 PM

Apparently she is the proud owner of a five-star gag-reflex, and everytime they tried to introduce the tube down her throat, she gagged it into submission.

Oh, what a bummer! Glad she got through it okay.

2010-02-12 7:27 PM
in reply to: #2670820

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
From what I understand, the ski world is pretty competitive, and there are always up-and-comers.  I don't know if any are nipping at Vaghns's heels or not, she is a pretty big standout.  But I think with skiing, there is always someone else who can take your place.  I hope she kicks some butt.  Sounds like she is getting a few extra days.

On another Olympic note - 2006 Gold Medalist Seth Wescott is going for his second gold in Boardercross.  He is a good Maine guy from my home ski mountain, Sugarloaf (also he is part owner of my favorite bar at Sugarloaf, but that is another story).
When the Boardercross come around, if you happen to be watching, wish him some luck through the TV.

Cheers,
Mandy
2010-02-12 7:28 PM
in reply to: #2669262

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-02-12 5:42 AM

Hi there everyone, thanks for the intro Steve!

Welcome Mandy! You have a really impressive lineup for 2010!

I have to comment on this one: "WEIGHTLOSS: I think losing 10 lbs would help me get to the front of the mid-pack, but I really like pizza. Mmmm. I go through phases of really healthy eating and then kind of crappy eating."

I SO totally hear you on that one! I could probably lose this extra 10-15 pounds I carry around if I really committed to a dietary overhaul, but I like to eat too much!

By the way, I'm doing the Timberman sprint the day before the HIM. This will be my first triathlon. If all goes well I'll be doing another sprint at the end of September.

Tracey

2010-02-12 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2670818

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

I hear what you're saying about needing more support, and it might turn out that the NB1123 does that for you. My one concern with them are that they are a motion control shoe, and with your high-arched feet that roll to the sides (and I remember you saying that it is "sides" as in "outside") the 1123 will only exacerbate that tendency. As with any motion control shoe, these will be builtup more on the medial side through the use of dual-densitry materail that will resists the foot rolling inward.

This is from the Product Description of the link you provided:
"....an excellent choice for overpronators (foot rolls inward) or thsoe with low arches or plantar fasciitis....."

The photo on your link shows the lateral side of the shoe, and the gray blob back towards the heel is part of their "posting" system that they provide on both the medial and lateral side. I will bet a fait amount that the gray material extends almost to the toes on the medial side, and that is what will help prevent the foot from overpronating. Some pronation is good, even very beneficial, so for those of us with high arches we do not want it dampened at all; we don't get enough as it is. The reason why the 1123 has it on the lateral side in the rear is to "minimize rearfoot movement", which is part of the problem for many overpronators.

It is rare for people with high arches to overpronate, but not beyond the realm of the possible. But the way you've described your feet in the post above and another from way back when, you underpronate or "supinate" -- your feet do not roll in sufficiently. So, if you've already placed your order for them, just be attentive to how your lower body is responding. Underpronators are more susceptible to illiotibila band syndrome (outside of knee), stress fractures (usually tbial - shin bone), and trochantric bursitis (hip). LOTS of underpronators make it through a running careeer without being bit by these problems, but in a motion control shoe you may tend a bit more to opne or more of those problems. Anyhow, just be aware of how you're responding to the shoes!

Which race is it? Where, and when? I need to know so that I can send mojo!

2010-02-12 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2670851

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

If I knew you were doing the T-man sprint, I had forgotten! It's a GREAT race, and the RD (Keith Jordan) puts on the best events anywhere. I loved doing the sprint last year, but am trying hard this coming season to not travel distances for a race that is over well within two hours -- and I did T-man sprint in 1:19:29. So, it's dumb to spend so much time driving (~ 6.5 hours each way) to a whiz-bang race, and also paying for accommodations the night before. But it IS tempting!

As I told Mandy before, I am seriously considering the HIM, which I did in '01 (it was my first half-iron) and '04 -- but the cost of it is a bit worrisome. I think I'm now into the time frame where registartion is $275, and it will soon hoit $300, I think. There are scads of bells abnd whistles at Timberman HIM, but at this stage of things I don't really need them and probably can't afford them.

But you are VERY lucky to be in for the sprint, and it will be a memorable start to your triathlon career!

2010-02-12 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2670838

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Tracey-

Hey, food is good!   Espeshally pizza.  I really think that is my biggest weakness.  And chocolate.  And.... 

Awesome, so psyched you are doing the Timberman Sprint - I will see you there!  Sounds like you picked an awesome one for your first.  I am volunteering for the sprint, it will be great to meet you!  You must be coming the night before I am assuming?  I am going to be there a few days before (Wed or Thur...) I want to get a swim in and some bike/runs on parts of the course.

Off to watch the Olympics opening ceremony.

Cheers,

Mandy

2010-02-12 8:14 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hey - you Canadians put on a pretty good show
2010-02-12 8:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-12 8:38 PM

TRACEY -

I hear what you're saying about needing more support, and it might turn out that the NB1123 does that for you. My one concern with them are that they are a motion control shoe, and with your high-arched feet that roll to the sides (and I remember you saying that it is "sides" as in "outside") the 1123 will only exacerbate that tendency. As with any motion control shoe, these will be builtup more on the medial side through the use of dual-densitry materail that will resists the foot rolling inward.

This is from the Product Description of the link you provided:
"....an excellent choice for overpronators (foot rolls inward) or thsoe with low arches or plantar fasciitis....."

The photo on your link shows the lateral side of the shoe, and the gray blob back towards the heel is part of their "posting" system that they provide on both the medial and lateral side. I will bet a fait amount that the gray material extends almost to the toes on the medial side, and that is what will help prevent the foot from overpronating. Some pronation is good, even very beneficial, so for those of us with high arches we do not want it dampened at all; we don't get enough as it is. The reason why the 1123 has it on the lateral side in the rear is to "minimize rearfoot movement", which is part of the problem for many overpronators.

It is rare for people with high arches to overpronate, but not beyond the realm of the possible. But the way you've described your feet in the post above and another from way back when, you underpronate or "supinate" -- your feet do not roll in sufficiently. So, if you've already placed your order for them, just be attentive to how your lower body is responding. Underpronators are more susceptible to illiotibila band syndrome (outside of knee), stress fractures (usually tbial - shin bone), and trochantric bursitis (hip). LOTS of underpronators make it through a running careeer without being bit by these problems, but in a motion control shoe you may tend a bit more to opne or more of those problems. Anyhow, just be aware of how you're responding to the shoes!

I know - first thing I noticed about the shoe is that they're motion-control, for over-pronators (which as you say is the opposite of me!) I was convinced though by a few testimonials from people with neuromae who said the shoes were great. But of course these could be people with neuromae who overpronate. So we shall see...! Doesn't seem like you can find shoes for under-pronators that also have adequate support. All the shoes I've had so far are specifically designed for under-pronators (i.e., they have a lot of cushion). But with the cushioned shoes I just feel like I'm stamping down on them and they just get squished under my feet. Does that make sense? Why is it that there are no shoes out there for under-pronators that also have support?

2010-02-12 8:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-12 8:38 PM

Oh, the race is the Annual Paddy Kelly 5 Miler in Brockton, MA, this Sunday the 14th.

Thanks!

Edited by thall0672 2010-02-12 8:20 PM

2010-02-12 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2670866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-02-12 8:48 PM

TRACEY again -

If I knew you were doing the T-man sprint, I had forgotten! It's a GREAT race, and the RD (Keith Jordan) puts on the best events anywhere. I loved doing the sprint last year, but am trying hard this coming season to not travel distances for a race that is over well within two hours -- and I did T-man sprint in 1:19:29. So, it's dumb to spend so much time driving (~ 6.5 hours each way) to a whiz-bang race, and also paying for accommodations the night before. But it IS tempting!

As I told Mandy before, I am seriously considering the HIM, which I did in '01 (it was my first half-iron) and '04 -- but the cost of it is a bit worrisome. I think I'm now into the time frame where registartion is $275, and it will soon hoit $300, I think. There are scads of bells abnd whistles at Timberman HIM, but at this stage of things I don't really need them and probably can't afford them.

But you are VERY lucky to be in for the sprint, and it will be a memorable start to your triathlon career!

I've heard great things about the Timberman. I'm very excited about it! My husband and I are staying the whole weekend, so I might go down on Sunday to cheer on the HIMers.

Tracey

2010-02-12 8:25 PM
in reply to: #2670886

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-02-12 9:12 PM

Tracey-

Hey, food is good!   Espeshally pizza.  I really think that is my biggest weakness.  And chocolate.  And.... 

Awesome, so psyched you are doing the Timberman Sprint - I will see you there!  Sounds like you picked an awesome one for your first.  I am volunteering for the sprint, it will be great to meet you!  You must be coming the night before I am assuming?  I am going to be there a few days before (Wed or Thur...) I want to get a swim in and some bike/runs on parts of the course.

Off to watch the Olympics opening ceremony.

Cheers,

Mandy

MANDY:

Yes, my husband and I will be coming up Friday afternoon. That would be great if we could meet!

Tracey

2010-02-12 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2670818

Master
Kitchener
thall0672 - 2010-02-12 8:09 PM
latestarter - 2010-02-11 7:27 PM TRACEY,

Sorry to say I have nothing to share from my podiatrist visit - pretty much a waste of time in my view.    A couple of things I am doing though are wearing some really good hiking boots during the day (even in the house) and icing and massaging the foot.    The hiking boots are sort of like an air cast - keeps the foot nice and stable with little movement which helps the healing process (if there is anything that needs healing/rest).   I am pretty much grasping at anything right now that might help.   And the foot does feel really good with the boots on.   Not so, when I walk around in socks or flimsy mocassins, etc.   Although there is no pain, I can feel the nerve being twingy without good support.

I also did something today that  Steve mentioned in an earlier post about taking the shoe off and rubbing the foot vigorously when the neuroma got really painful.    It really worked for me.   I did it after every km (indoor track) and had no pain for the last 3 kms.    That's not going to be too helpful in a race, but maybe even once might make a difference.

Good luck on your race this weekend.  

ANNE: Thanks for the well wishes! My sister in law is running the race with me too so we'll be supporting each other. She's faster than me though (maybe a 9 or 10 minute mile?) Sorry to hear you didn't get any help from your podiatrist. I was looking around a little bit online and decided to buy these running shoes: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VUOCWQ/ref=oss_productI've always used running shoes with a ton of cushion and not so much support, because I always assumed that I needed that with my high arches. The shoes I have now (Mizunos) are VERY cushiony, almost to the point where they don't seem to "hold" my feet properly (my feet roll out to the sides). So I'm starting to think that maybe what I actually need for the neuroma is better support... The NB shoes are decidedly orthopedic-looking, but I don't care as long as I'm pain free!

I checked out the NB shoes and they look do look good but I have high arches and am a slight supinator as well.   I tried on a pair of NB shoes yesterday along with the Saucony Echelon (which I bought).  I could feel the neuroma as soon as I put on the NB shoes.   Different model than the one you are looking at but supposed to be one of their best shoes for cushion and support.  As soon as I put the Saucony on they felt reall good and although neutral they do have good support and it was the first pair of shoes that I have tried that I have actually been able to feel that my big toe joint had contact with the ground and I didn't feeling like my foot was leaning outward.     My race shoes are Saucony Fastwich and I love them as well.  

2010-02-12 8:51 PM
in reply to: #2670887

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Oh, I don't know about that! I'm in the other room from the TV, squirming nevertheless.

I don't know why there has to be so much over-orchestrated music, kind of non-stop and out of context. As for the part with all the First nations groups....well, I taught on a F.N. rez for 19 years and so am very supportive and sympathetic and all, but at the very least they could've gone with some actual traditional music; again, the over-orchestrated stuff just doesn't work.

And the woman doing the "Oh Canada" made it into a travesty of a mockery of a sham. I mean, for decades it has had rhythms and inflections all its own, and I think it is very brazen of her and her managers to tamper with it to such an extent.

I am such a scrooge about "grande spectaculares", can't understand why everything has to be made larger than life. And the noise! the constant noise! What -- We can't think and appreciate on our own without being prompted and "inspired" by wall-to-wall music?!?

ARGGGHHHHHH!!!!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276