of 64

2011-12-14 4:07 PM
in reply to: #3938700

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED
JeffY - 2011-12-14 5:02 PM

And Jonathan, there have been studies of cyclists done in the lab that prove that power output falls dramatically for a cyclist when there is no heat removal from their head.  Something like 10-15 watts different for FTP just by pointing a fan at their heads while cycling.

You need to get the air moving in that room you are using for cycling.

Okay, will do this.  I will say that I felt cool all over, but was sweating like I've never sweat before.  Probably had something to do with the fact that there was no way for the water to evaporate, so I will definitely get the air flowing better next time.

I'm getting more sore by the hour right now from yesterday's workout.  I don't think I will have time for any sort of exercise today.  I'm ticked because I got called into work early and had to drop off my car before I came in.  I am still at work and not leaving any time soon.  Just venting.  Thanks.

ETA:  Most of my soreness is in my hamstrings and butt.  I think it's obvious that I have some weaknesses to work on with my strength that could really help me with my running.  At least that is what I'm hoping.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-12-14 4:08 PM

2011-12-14 4:19 PM
in reply to: #3938703

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-14 4:07 PM

And Jonathan, there have been studies of cyclists done in the lab that prove that power output falls dramatically for a cyclist when there is no heat removal from their head.  Something like 10-15 watts different for FTP just by pointing a fan at their heads while cycling.

Okay, will do this.  I will say that I felt cool all over, but was sweating like I've never sweat before.  Probably had something to do with the fact that there was no way for the water to evaporate, so I will definitely get the air flowing better next time.

I'm getting more sore by the hour right now from yesterday's workout.  I don't think I will have time for any sort of exercise today.  I'm ticked because I got called into work early and had to drop off my car before I came in.  I am still at work and not leaving any time soon.  Just venting.  Thanks.

ETA:  Most of my soreness is in my hamstrings and butt.  I think it's obvious that I have some weaknesses to work on with my strength that could really help me with my running.  At least that is what I'm hoping.

In case you didn't know yet, maximum soreness is achieved 48 hours later.  Expect tomorrow morning to be the worst.  It can be pretty darn hard to run when your hamstrings feel like they are going to shatter! 

Take some Aleve tonight before bed.  (aspirin or ibuprofen will work OK too, but Aleve (Naproxin Sodium) is by far better)

2011-12-14 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

NH

Jorge's workouts usually have 20 minutes of warm-up, which include some intervals at very high intensity.  Last year I was doing a 15 mile TT about every week and found that after a good 30 minute warmup which included some hard riding I performed much better.

I totally agree on the cooling fans during cycling.  I was riding without a fan last year when I started.  Based on advice in the cycling thread I added two fans and I can go much harder with the fans keeping me "somewhat" cooled off.

I am about to add some weight training next week, and whenever I do I get the same soreness as you Jonathan.  I do some pretty simple stuff - kettlebell swings and get ups, pushups with various arm positioning, pullups, planks, some power yoga moves, etc.  I have no idea if it helps with the tri stuff, but I know that I feel better when I'm stronger and muscle loss accelerates with aging so I'm going to try to keep doing at least some amount of resistance training.

2011-12-14 5:06 PM
in reply to: #3938716

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-12-14 5:19 PM

In case you didn't know yet, maximum soreness is achieved 48 hours later.  Expect tomorrow morning to be the worst.  It can be pretty darn hard to run when your hamstrings feel like they are going to shatter! 

Take some Aleve tonight before bed.  (aspirin or ibuprofen will work OK too, but Aleve (Naproxin Sodium) is by far better)

I love the line "maximum soreness is achieved".  Said in the voice of Yoda of course.  I will take some ibuprofen.  I have only tried aleve for headaches and it doesn't do a dang thing for me.  Maybe muscle soreness is different.  I am going to try to go to cross fit again tomorrow morning.  I might try the run there, do the workout and run back routine.  It will break up the running and I will get about 4 miles in.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-12-14 5:10 PM
2011-12-14 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Well my hopes for a new bicycle for Christmas is completely gone now! Instead I get to put a new transmission into my wife's mountaineer! Didn't expect that expense, sad part is for the cost of the transmission I could get a new bike completely decked out, a top of the line trainer to hook it to, a wetsuit and still have enough left over to pay for at least 2 ironman entry fee's! And vent vent vent vent vent piece of junk vent vent vent vent vent worthless crap vent vent vent vent!!! Here's to sticking to my Walmart special and the spinner at the YMCA, life is good!
2011-12-14 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3938700

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-13 9:09 PM

Mambos...that's disgusting.  Thanks for the heads up though! Agreed...but we can always use helpful advice!

Dirk,  you really are an animal.  I don't know why you are throwing extra efforts in.  And don't take this the wrong way, but it makes me think you are not testing correctly.  Maybe it takes so long to get your heart rate up that your end average is just lower than it would be?  With my new testing number I in NO WAY want to continue the bike workouts.  There's only one solution as far as I can see.  And that my friend is a power meter. :-). 

That really could be true.  I know nothing about the Jorge workouts, but I find that I often take a full 30 minutes on the bike to be at full strength.  And the best cyclists swear by a 45 minute warm up for time trials.  Plus as we age, my theory is that we take longer to warm up fully.

Jeff,  sorry to hear about your leg.  That really sucks.  Make sure you take your own advice and go easy on it!  As far as my second test that I was supposed to do today...totally bombed it.  I went to cross-fit/kettle bell this morning with a friend and took about a half hour break, did my warmup and started in on the test.  By 5 minutes it was clear my legs were junk from cross fit.  I was able to hold 286 for the first 10 minutes, but the number started drastically falling so by the time I hit 15 I could not push anything more than 270.  My HR was thru the roof, I was overheated in my 50 degree room and just sort of bonked.  I finished out the 20 minutes at about 240 watts.  Test is pretty much junk I guess.  Like you I do most of my workouts as bricks, so I went for my easy run after this workout and my legs are confirmed junk. 

Well, you are right that doing these workouts will make the results of any 'tests' you do pretty meaningless...but it's probably great for your training.  Some people feel that the amount of benefit (training adaptation) is relative to the actual quality of the work you do.  But I think that it's probably more about how stressful your body perceives it to be.  So what I'm saying is that no matter what your Crossfit does to you, any sub-par workouts done afterwards have just as much training value as they should have.

I'm a bit sore tonight.  I like this cross fit thing though.  I need some strength training.  Going to try it out for a month.  And the good news is that it's about 2 miles away.  I'll walk/jog there, do the workout and jog home.

This is probably fairly accurate.  This was my first go round at a cycling test, so I am feel pretty confident I didn't do it correctly.  However, I actually think I was pretty trashed before the last 2 reps.  I was able to grunt and groan my way through the last 2 and I couldn't even get my HR up as high for the last rep because I didn't have enough left to get there.  I also ran my wife out of the living room where I was working out and I think that deserves a little extra credit.

BTW, Jonathon and everyone else, I am not the type to take offense to thoughts, suggestions, coaching or any other sort of advice.  I try to apply this logic and perspective to my life; "anyone who loves knowledge wants to be told when he is wrong - it is stupid to hate being corrected" - Proverbs 12:1 (from a "different" translation).  There is too much to be offered for those who will listen and too much to lose for those who will not.  Growth cannot happen when we are willingly deaf.  Moral: Coach and advise away.

I have to say this is what I have enjoyed so much about this group, the earnest desire for each of us to try to point each other in a direction that will help all of us achieve our goals.

2011-12-14 8:40 PM
in reply to: #3938952

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Thats too bad Matt.  Hopefully things will get better sooner rather than later.  I know the same things seem to happen in my household too.  The very second we seem get a few more dollars to do something we all want to do together.......CRASH!!!!  The bottom falls out!!  A perspective I am trying to learn myself (and I am a VERY SLOW learner) is that these things do seem to happen at just the right time.  I.E. I work some overtime during a major storm, have some schedules OT work come up, etc.  It just seems to work out that way nearly all the time.  For that I am pretty thankful.

On Christmas morning, enjoy your kids and the gifts they receive, the looks on their faces, the joy in their hearts.  That can't be replaced.  Just like the car you had to repair, a bicycle will come and go, get worn out and you'll need a new one but you'l always remember the joy your kids give you.

2011-12-14 8:44 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
That my friend, blows. Just think how much faster you'll be after another year on the older bike!
2011-12-15 8:33 AM

User image

NH

I'm with ya Matt.  Pouring money into car repairs is definitely one of life's tests.  It always seems like wasted money to me, but remember the reason we have those things and the benefits of having a working car.  My tri bike has become a new minivan, a repaired deck, a snow blower, and most recently a well in Tanzania.  I guess I shouldn't complain, but I still do!

That's some awesome advice Dirk; mine are a few years behind yours but I can't help watching my 15 year old walk away when I drop him off somewhere and thinking in a few years he'll be gone forever.  Well, at least gone in the everyday sense.  That will be a sad day for this old man.  Hopefully he'll still sherpa for me at events, driving with him to races is one of best parts of race day for me.

2011-12-15 9:19 AM
in reply to: #3938770

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-14 5:06 PM

I love the line "maximum soreness is achieved".  Said in the voice of Yoda of course.  I will take some ibuprofen.  I have only tried aleve for headaches and it doesn't do a dang thing for me.  Maybe muscle soreness is different.  I am going to try to go to cross fit again tomorrow morning.  I might try the run there, do the workout and run back routine.  It will break up the running and I will get about 4 miles in.

I only take Aleve for inflammation.  As a Cox2 inhibitor that's all it's good for.  I don't know why they would market it for headaches.  But for inflammation it works better than the non-selective Cox inhibitors (aspirin and ibuprofen inhibit both Cox1 and Cox2 enzymes).

2011-12-15 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3938952

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Matt, I feel for you.  I guess we all do here--more so than most people in your life.  We understand how much excitement that new bike will bring to you when you finally get it.

2011-12-15 7:57 PM
in reply to: #3939501

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-12-15 10:19 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-14 5:06 PM

I only take Aleve for inflammation.  As a Cox2 inhibitor that's all it's good for.  I don't know why they would market it for headaches.  But for inflammation it works better than the non-selective Cox inhibitors (aspirin and ibuprofen inhibit both Cox1 and Cox2 enzymes).

Okay, gotcha.  Thanks for that explanation.  I will try it out.  Today was day 2 of cross fit.  We did pull up sets, and a circuit of cleans/situps/body squats for a total of about 300 squats.  My legs were fried.  And then I ran 3 miles home.  My legs were cooked, but no pain, just fatigued.  I think it's good.  I'm going to try it again tomorrow.

2011-12-15 8:30 PM
in reply to: #3938989

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-12-14 9:33 PM

This is probably fairly accurate.  This was my first go round at a cycling test, so I am feel pretty confident I didn't do it correctly.  However, I actually think I was pretty trashed before the last 2 reps.  I was able to grunt and groan my way through the last 2 and I couldn't even get my HR up as high for the last rep because I didn't have enough left to get there.  I also ran my wife out of the living room where I was working out and I think that deserves a little extra credit.

BTW, Jonathon and everyone else, I am not the type to take offense to thoughts, suggestions, coaching or any other sort of advice.  I try to apply this logic and perspective to my life; "anyone who loves knowledge wants to be told when he is wrong - it is stupid to hate being corrected" - Proverbs 12:1 (from a "different" translation).  There is too much to be offered for those who will listen and too much to lose for those who will not.  Growth cannot happen when we are willingly deaf.  Moral: Coach and advise away.

I have to say this is what I have enjoyed so much about this group, the earnest desire for each of us to try to point each other in a direction that will help all of us achieve our goals.

Yeah...the first test gives you a sense of what you may be able to do and how you will feel after a certain number of minutes.  If you get to 10 minutes and it doesn't already just suck, you're going too soft.  The idea is to be able to sustain that effort for 20 minutes and ideally not much longer than that.  I would wager that I would probably last another two-three minutes if I really had to make myself suffer.

And I know you're not the type to take offense.  That's why I like to give you so crap, small fry.

ETA:  Tongue out

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-12-15 8:31 PM
2011-12-16 7:24 AM
in reply to: #3940606

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-15 9:30 PM

Yeah...the first test gives you a sense of what you may be able to do and how you will feel after a certain number of minutes.  If you get to 10 minutes and it doesn't already just suck, you're going too soft.  The idea is to be able to sustain that effort for 20 minutes and ideally not much longer than that.  I would wager that I would probably last another two-three minutes if I really had to make myself suffer.

And I know you're not the type to take offense.  That's why I like to give you so crap, small fry.

Small Fry???  Small Fry??   It's go time!  Let's race!  LOL

2011-12-16 9:03 AM

User image

NH

I know I haven't been able to really nail a test or a TT yet.  That sweet spot is elusive.  I did a bike TT once a week last year (just a solo training ride on two different routes), and either had too much left or died on the last hill and the last mile after that was a disaster.  On the trainer I'm better at judging, but still not quite able to puke right at the finish.

A question about running build up.  This is week 6 of my running build.  I know a lot of people talk about pausing every so often, most  people say 4 weeks, and repeating or backing off before resuming a build.  Since all my runs are all at an easy pace and I feel great so far, I haven't felt the need to stop and "consolidate" my gains.  I was just planning to keep running at the easy pace, build the mileage until I hit a target of about 45 mpw and then re-evaluate whether to keep building mileage or plateau mileage and switch to some intensity to keep building. 

My only plan to back off from the build was if my body tells me it's time to slow down through either pain or fatigue, but not schedule any recovery weeks.  What do you all think?

2011-12-16 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3941016

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-12-16 9:03 AM

My only plan to back off from the build was if my body tells me it's time to slow down through either pain or fatigue, but not schedule any recovery weeks.  What do you all think?

That is the wise plan.  If you are attuned to your body's signals then you can potentially build faster than the conservative approach would suggest.  And of course some people can't even build as fast as the 'conservative' approach.  The fact is that since we all have a different capacity for exercise tolerance, if you can correctly listen to your body you are pretty well advised to do so.

2011-12-16 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3940842

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-12-16 8:24 AM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-15 9:30 PM

Small Fry???  Small Fry??   It's go time!  Let's race!  LOL

I don't think I'm ready for that kind of thrashing!

2011-12-16 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3941084

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
JeffY - 2011-12-16 10:42 AM
wbayek - 2011-12-16 9:03 AM

That is the wise plan.  If you are attuned to your body's signals then you can potentially build faster than the conservative approach would suggest.  And of course some people can't even build as fast as the 'conservative' approach.  The fact is that since we all have a different capacity for exercise tolerance, if you can correctly listen to your body you are pretty well advised to do so.

Agreed.  But just make sure to listen to your body closely.  I would imagine I could only go 6 weeks without some type of recovery period.  The difference between us might be that I was doing a tempo run nearly every week during my marathon training for the past 2 years.  Another thing that may catch up is the cycling program.  There's no way I could maintain Jorge's and a running mileage escalation toward similar distances because of time and fatigue.

2011-12-16 7:54 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Tried to run after kettlebell class this morning.  No dice.  The 80 mph headwind and my junk quads wouldn't let me do it.  This week has been pretty inconsistent.  I gotta get back on board tomorrow.

I'm sore as hell.  But it's a good sore.  I like it.  Except when I have to get up from my chair after like 10 minutes.  And yes, I'm wearing compression pants at work.

2011-12-16 8:14 PM
in reply to: #3941757

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Dude, you remind me of a guy at the pool.  He wears compression shorts as underwear and he is no "athlete in recovery" either.  Every time I see this guy he's wearing them and I find myself trying to figure out what in the world he's doing.  This guy is hilarious.

But seriously you don't even come close to this guy.  I have never see you swim but I have read your logs, and unless you are a COMPLETE liar, you are an olympic swimmer compared to this man.  I'm sorry about making fun of this guy but he's a horrible swimmer.  He's not even a swimmer, he's a submarine.  Ok, I'm going to stop.

Anyway, the soreness is something I have grown to love over the years.  When I was powerlifting and had some really great squat and dead lift workouts, my glutes would be thrashed and I would hurt SO bad.  Like Jeff was saying, the 48 hour sore was the worst but I would have trouble getting up and down from a hard seat (like a toilet) to the point of groaning.  It was AWESOME!  Sounds like a great work out.

2011-12-17 8:08 AM
in reply to: #3941770

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-12-16 9:14 PM

Dude, you remind me of a guy at the pool.  He wears compression shorts as underwear and he is no "athlete in recovery" either.  Every time I see this guy he's wearing them and I find myself trying to figure out what in the world he's doing.  This guy is hilarious.

But seriously you don't even come close to this guy.  I have never see you swim but I have read your logs, and unless you are a COMPLETE liar, you are an olympic swimmer compared to this man.  I'm sorry about making fun of this guy but he's a horrible swimmer.  He's not even a swimmer, he's a submarine.  Ok, I'm going to stop.

Anyway, the soreness is something I have grown to love over the years.  When I was powerlifting and had some really great squat and dead lift workouts, my glutes would be thrashed and I would hurt SO bad.  Like Jeff was saying, the 48 hour sore was the worst but I would have trouble getting up and down from a hard seat (like a toilet) to the point of groaning.  It was AWESOME!  Sounds like a great work out.

Hahaha! That made my morning!

2011-12-17 11:44 AM
in reply to: #3941770

User image

NH

DirkP - 2011-12-16 9:14 PM. Like Jeff was saying, the 48 hour sore was the worst but I would have trouble getting up and down from a hard seat (like a toilet) to the point of groaning.  It was AWESOME!  Sounds like a great work out.

Haha, love this line of discussion. I miss that soreness feeling.  My best memories of soreness were after a hockey game if we made mental mistakes our coach would thrash us the next day at practice.  He was ok if we were physically beat by a better team, but mental mistakes were not tolerated.  We'd play 3 on 3 full ice until someone from every line puked, literally (it was LONG time ago before lawyers and such took over the country).  My legs would be junk for the next few days for sure; I could hardly sleep they were so noisy.  I do remember that moment hovering over the toilet wondering if I could lower myself slowly enough to make soft landing!

I doubt I'll be able to keep up with Jorge's full biking plan, but I'm going to get as much of it in as possible.  If my legs really need a rest I'm going to back off biking.  I'm hoping since all my runs will be easy pace until mid/late Feb I'll be able to do most of the biking.  I think I need to spend the winter pushing myself a little harder to see where my edges are, rather than assuming how much age has slowed me down in terms of work capability.

2011-12-17 3:00 PM
in reply to: #3942076

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
wbayek - 2011-12-17 12:44 PM

DirkP - 2011-12-16 9:14 PM. Like Jeff was saying, the 48 hour sore was the worst but I would have trouble getting up and down from a hard seat (like a toilet) to the point of groaning.  It was AWESOME!  Sounds like a great work out.

Haha, love this line of discussion. I miss that soreness feeling.  My best memories of soreness were after a hockey game if we made mental mistakes our coach would thrash us the next day at practice.  He was ok if we were physically beat by a better team, but mental mistakes were not tolerated.  We'd play 3 on 3 full ice until someone from every line puked, literally (it was LONG time ago before lawyers and such took over the country).  My legs would be junk for the next few days for sure; I could hardly sleep they were so noisy.  I do remember that moment hovering over the toilet wondering if I could lower myself slowly enough to make soft landing!

Soreness or complete exhaustion, nothing beats it.  I remember being so exhausted after 2 hours of basketball conditioning that for the next 30m all I could do was lay in the hallway hoping to be able to stand again.  Nothing like suicides and indian runs to make you scream for mercy!

2011-12-17 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3942270

User image

NH

mambos - 2011-12-17 4:00 PMNothing like suicides and indian runs to make you scream for mercy!

Suicides.  Wow, haven't thought about those since Jr High.  I think they're why I went with hockey full time!

2011-12-17 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3942271

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

My RR is here for your reading pleasure.

I was incredibly awesome!  Of all my race reports I thin k this one is a must read.  It was an epic race!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64