BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-02-12 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2670914

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
latestarter - 2010-02-12 9:32 PM

I checked out the NB shoes and they look do look good but I have high arches and am a slight supinator as well.   I tried on a pair of NB shoes yesterday along with the Saucony Echelon (which I bought).  I could feel the neuroma as soon as I put on the NB shoes.   Different model than the one you are looking at but supposed to be one of their best shoes for cushion and support.  As soon as I put the Saucony on they felt reall good and although neutral they do have good support and it was the first pair of shoes that I have tried that I have actually been able to feel that my big toe joint had contact with the ground and I didn't feeling like my foot was leaning outward.     My race shoes are Saucony Fastwich and I love them as well.  

Thanks Anne. If the NB shoes don't work out, maybe I'll try the Echelons. Knowing that you also have supination and high arches, plus the neuroma issues, maybe they'll be a good choice for me too.

I got the NBs in wide width, so hopefully that might make a difference. I have wide width feet but have never bought wide width running shoes. I guess I was always unsure of how they'd fit so instead I'd just buy medium widths and then alter the lacing.

2010-02-12 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
MARK, just curious ... have you ever tried taking glucosamine? I've never taken it myself but have heard others have found it helpful. Might be worth a try (along with the white tea!).

Just got back from the pool, but my husband has DVRd the opening ceremonies, so guess I'll have a look.  STEVE B, I'm with you with all the noice, etc. I don't even like to go to a movie theater ... way too much sensory overload for me (besides the fact I find it very hard to sit still and stay awake for two hours!)!!. 

I did see a couple interesting trivia facts on the TV just a minute ago:

1) 90% of all the Canadian citizens live within 100 miles of the US border; and
2) there are more people living in the state of California than in Canada!! 

Now, maybe I'm not telling any of you Canadians any thing you don't already know, but it was news to me!
2010-02-12 9:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Oh, and TRACY, good luck with your race on Sunday ... sending good vibes your way!

And hoping STEVE A has a great training ride on the St. George course this weekend!
2010-02-12 10:12 PM
in reply to: #2670886

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 7:49 AM
2010-02-13 7:48 AM
in reply to: #2670940

User image

Champion

M -

Not only cupcakes, but PIE! Fresh-baked, made-from-scratch pies from a woman named Kerry Duffy who operates out of a teensy-tiny stroefront in an old building in the Glebe section of Ottawa. With dangther Jane and her boyfriend arriving yesterday, I bought two pies instead of one. One of them is strawberry-rhubarb, and the second is pineapple cream -- a cream custard infiltrated with chunks of real pineapple (that is, chunked off of a real pineapple, right there in the shop), with fresh-whipped cream on top. Mercy!

And there's also the cookies from her - yesterday it was ginger and chocolate-cherry chunk. Bliss! Nirvana!

2010-02-13 7:55 AM
in reply to: #2671179

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

A big advantage of NB for neuromatics (that's a new word!) is their generosity with widths. As long as your foot isn't sloshing around too much inside them, your neuroma will love the fact that the metatarsals on either side aren't squeezing against it.

If you need to play with the laces in order to snug them onto your feet better, you might want to try one of the various types of "speed laces", which are elastic and work beautifully. I haven't tied laces on running shoes in years, and while I initially used speed laces just for fasater transitions in races, I now just switch them into any new running shoes as soon as I buy them. Beyond speed benefits, they are also good because they distribute the pressure that comes from cinching them tight, which means that there is less of a tendency to aggravate the tendons on the top of the foot; regular laces can cause this when tigthened too much.

Psyched for the race? I am!

2010-02-13 8:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi

TRACEY - Good luck!

Denise
2010-02-13 9:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
stevebradley - 2010-02-13 7:48 AM M - ... and the second is pineapple cream -- a cream custard infiltrated with chunks of real pineapple (that is, chunked off of a real pineapple, right there in the shop), with fresh-whipped cream on top. Mercy! And there's also the cookies from her - yesterday it was ginger and chocolate-cherry chunk. Bliss! Nirvana!

STEVE B, glad I don't live anywhere near there!! That sounds very blissful!

Oh, my DH is calling me for breakfast ... back in a bit!
2010-02-13 10:13 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
I got a 6.5 mile run in this morning with my old running group. Had to run at a bit slower pace because none of them had run in the last week but it was good to run with everyone again.

STEVE B, I realized I never got back to you about that homework question ... I absolutely HATE dealing with homework.  I'm 51 years old and have been doing homework in some fashion for over 40 of them! My 11 year old is actually pretty good about getting his done as soon as he gets home, so a lot of times it's just a matter of looking things over or helping study for a test.  My oldest son was a different story. We'd work on homework  that should have taken less than 30 minutes for over 3 hours. The next day his teacher would call me and tell me he didn't do his homework ... no, he (WE) did his homework ... he just didn't bother turning it in ... ugh!, same thing, day after day ... year after year. (The first spoken words out of his younger brother's mouth were "John, do your homework", literally). So, yes, homework is a bit of a touchy subject with me!!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
2010-02-13 10:49 AM

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 7:50 AM
2010-02-13 11:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
Good luck;  Tracey and Steve A

Training is going pretty well, ran 12 min and walked for 43.  Woke up this morning and had pain behind left knee, after walking it out it is ok until I sit for a while.

Question for everyone;

I am satisfied with most of my training (swimming still needs improvement)  I have already done 1 tri to prove I could do it.  I have not set a race in stone for this year. I want to be more competitive when I do another race, and hopefully an oly and then HIM.

Is this ok or would it help to go ahead and schedule races to improve such things as transitions?

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

On the way to set up my drums for a valentines dance tonight

2010-02-13 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
I love cupcakes. And pie.  Oh man. Glad I got my run in today. I met my friend Beth to run 5 this am and we ran on a dirt road that we run in the summer that was opened up recently.  It was so nice to be off the main road for a change, but we lost we ran to the wrong landmark and accidentally ran 6, but we thought we ran 5. We were very disappointed in our time until we looked at a map.  Kind of funny.
2010-02-13 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2671273

User image

Champion

LISA -

Okay, I can see why homework is a bit of a touchy subject for you, and I will try to refrain from any further homework jokes!

Nowadays, homework is a touchy subject for lots of people. There is the camp that supports tons of homework with the view that this will train their kids to be ultra-focused and competitive and thus roll into the besy universities. Then there is the camp that supports NO homework, with the view that kids need wind-down time and just-being-kids-and-doing-stupid-things time. My last 19 years were in a fairly tough school where most kids were below grade-level in reading and had little support at home. An average school day was pretty tough for them as it was, so as the years progressed I took to assigning less and less homework. The perfect world would have kids who enjoyed reading and parents who enjoyed doing it with them, as that's where I feel the best chances are for productive homework. However, that was not the case at my school, especially the part about parents enjoying reading with their kids, so......

Congrats on getting back with the running group! It's too bad that it was a bit below the pace you would've preferred, but at least you had lots of nice folks around you! My run was lethargic, 41 cold minutes on a day I was planning to not run. I've had a swack of good, crisp runs recently, so not only did I have a slogger due me, but my "don't wanna!" attitude pretty much ensured that it would be today.

2010-02-13 1:23 PM

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-02-13 8:48 AM M - Not only cupcakes, but PIE! Fresh-baked, made-from-scratch pies from a woman named Kerry Duffy who operates out of a teensy-tiny stroefront in an old building in the Glebe section of Ottawa. With dangther Jane and her boyfriend arriving yesterday, I bought two pies instead of one. One of them is strawberry-rhubarb, and the second is pineapple cream -- a cream custard infiltrated with chunks of real pineapple (that is, chunked off of a real pineapple, right there in the shop), with fresh-whipped cream on top. Mercy! And there's also the cookies from her - yesterday it was ginger and chocolate-cherry chunk. Bliss! Nirvana!

I'm going to have to find out exactly where this is for the next time we are in Ottawa.   My favorite pie is Strawberry-rhubarb, although that pineapple cream is sounding pretty tempting. 
2010-02-13 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2671329

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

Good run, and REAL good on disposing of the back-of-knee ache. Whew!

Seeing as how you asked, my feeling is that if you have some smaller, shorter races kind of close to you and that don't cost a whole lot to enter, it is best to get a few races behind you before attempting a HIM. Certainly an oly can be part of that sequence, but even an oly is best preceded by a sprint or two or three.

Getting comfortable and adept with transitions is certainly part of it, but beyond that are issues dealing with pacing and nutrition. If you can get your pacing and nutrition kind of in line, it will make for a much more pleasurable experience doing an oly -- and definitely for doing a half-iron.

I've got all of these races under my belt, about 80 of them, including about 15 half-irons......and I still fuss about my nutrition at that distance. And I guess I fuss about my pacing me, too, which leads me to say that there is a lot that can go wrong at that distance, even for someone who has done a lot of them and to a decent degree of success. So, just the more opportunities you have to get comfortable with triathlon procedure and also with the needs and demands of your own body, the less looming question marks you will face when you attempt the longer distances.

For sprints, you can often "skate" with nutrition, take some chances and hope you don't get bit. An oly is about double the miles and double the time, and the chances are you WILL get bit if you goof on your nutrition - or your pacing. I do most olys ~2:30, and to my mind and body that's long enough out there to make suffering very unpleasant when it happens. I rarely if ever make a nutruitional mistake at the oly distance, but that ability has come through years of "applied practice". But to take the jump from oly to HIM, that's adding another 32 miles on the bike and 6.9 miles on the run (and about 600 meters on the swim), and that's a wide margin for error; even all of my training at distnce and racing HIMs has me fully prepard for the vagaries of 70.3 miles.

So, if you can fit in a couple of low-key, low-cost sprints, that would be ideal, I think -- just to get you that much closer to being more experienced and prepared. (My own sequence was three sprints in year #1, a sprint and a sprint/oly hybrid in year #2 before attempting my first HIM later that year. In hindsight I wish I had done a couple of olys before the HIM, which is maybe why I try to preach that sort of approach now! )

Setting up the drums? Are you a performing for the bulk of tonight? What kind of music, and what's the name of the band? Have a good evening at it, and I guess the Valentine's crowd is not the kind that is likley to pelt you with beer bottles if you miss a beat, eh?

2010-02-13 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2671396

User image

Champion

MANDY -

BONUS! Buy 5 and get the 6th for free! Well done!

2010-02-13 1:40 PM

Master
Kitchener
Hello everyone,

Sounds like everyone is having a pretty active weekend of training.    I love weekends.   Even being retired I still tend to do more then, than during the week.  

I had a good swim session with coach this morning and am shortly going to finish up a trainer ride I started earlier this morning.   Looking forward to trying out my new shoes for the 2nd time tomorrow and am praying that the neuroma is on it's way out.  

TRACEY,  Also praying that you have good luck with your race and the neuroma doesn't act up.  

2010-02-13 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2671450

User image

Champion

ANNE -

It's 70a Leonard, at the SW corner of Leonard and Hopewell. It's about a km east of Carleton U, a km west of Bank. Although I said the Glebe before, it is really in Old Ottawa South --- the canal to the north, Bronson to the west, Bank to the east, and Riverside to the south. Her hours are Tuesday through Friday, about 11-6 and Saturday mornings 9-12 I think. Her stock on Saturday flies off the shelves in a heartbeat.

There are about 20 (25? 30?) different pies she makes, and she rotates through them irregularly. There is no set schedule, so it's pretty much show up and see what she has decided to make that day. Yesterday it was the two I bought plus a third one, and four types of cookies, and a quiche or two. Meat pies and quiches are also on her menu-at-large.

Gotta let me know when you're next up this way!!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-02-13 1:44 PM
2010-02-13 5:29 PM

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve-

You asked about swim drills/technique earlier - here is the page I go to to find drills, and I also use the BT 9 lessons.

Active Swim Drills

BT 9 Lessons

We just put out a chimney fire - literally!  All is well, guess we don't have to clean out the chimney for a while!

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-02-13 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2671663

Master
Kitchener
manfarr1974 - 2010-02-13 6:29 PM Steve-

We just put out a chimney fire - literally!  All is well, guess we don't have to clean out the chimney for a while!

Cheers,

Mandy

That is VERY scary and could have been deadly.   Glad to hear you are all safe and sound.     

2010-02-13 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
THANKS everyone for the well wishes! Just got back from a Valentine's dinner with my husband - this race is just in time to burn off some calories.

Tracey

2010-02-13 8:36 PM
in reply to: #2671663

User image

Champion

MANDY -

On behalf of the drilloholics, your referencing of sources for drills is much appreciated!

Putting out a chimney fire?!? In the Bizarro World Cross-Training Handbook, that rates an 8 on a 10-point scale of viable workout alternatives. I mean, it's always guaranteed to spike the heart rate beyond Z5!

Seriously, though, I'm glad your safe and that no obvious damage resulted.

2010-02-13 8:43 PM
in reply to: #2671846

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

I'll bre thinking about you and your caloric burn tomorrow morning, bright and early! (By the way, I have signed the pledge sheet for the obliteration of calories #326-350!)

Have a great time with it, and will enthusiastically await your post-race commentary!

2010-02-14 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2671857

User image

Champion

Anybody wanna be my Valentine??

2010-02-14 10:18 AM
in reply to: #2672218

Master
Kitchener

stevebradley - 2010-02-14 11:06 AM Anybody wanna be my Valentine??

Ahh, who wouldn't want you for their Valentine!!    Have a wonderful day with your sweetheart.  

Valentine candy

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276