BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 64

2011-12-20 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3325249

User image

NH
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED

Thanks Jonathan, that's perfect stuff.  I've thought about going to a compact up front.  I only use that granny gear on some of the stupid steep stuff at the lake, but it's pretty rare.

I guess I'm in that weird zone of how much $$$ to spend on upgrade versus getting something new.  I mean, if we're talking 400 wheels, 400 new shifter and such, etc, would it make as much sense to get the same bike again but new from the same place?  I'd love to pony up 4k and get a "real" bike, but that's not gonna get past the finance committee!  Or do I just limp along with minimum maintenance and start a new bike fund?  Choices, choices.

So if I go with the minimum for this next year, we're talking chain, cables, new chain rings (I assume you meant sharper, so they're both pretty worn).  What would that amount to?  Would wheels or the shifter change to a compact be next?  That one sounds expensive since it would mean new everything (shifters and chain rings).

2011-12-20 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3945999

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
wbayek - 2011-12-20 11:26 AM

Thanks Jonathan, that's perfect stuff.  I've thought about going to a compact up front.  I only use that granny gear on some of the stupid steep stuff at the lake, but it's pretty rare.

I guess I'm in that weird zone of how much $$$ to spend on upgrade versus getting something new.  I mean, if we're talking 400 wheels, 400 new shifter and such, etc, would it make as much sense to get the same bike again but new from the same place?  I'd love to pony up 4k and get a "real" bike, but that's not gonna get past the finance committee!  Or do I just limp along with minimum maintenance and start a new bike fund?  Choices, choices.

So if I go with the minimum for this next year, we're talking chain, cables, new chain rings (I assume you meant sharper, so they're both pretty worn).  What would that amount to?  Would wheels or the shifter change to a compact be next?  That one sounds expensive since it would mean new everything (shifters and chain rings).

I don't disagree with anything Jonathan said, but I have never once in my life needed to replace a chain ring due to wear.  And only ONCE did I have to toss a cassette out.  And that was on my mtn bike and I'm pretty sure it was screwed because of riding in mud (and it being aluminum).

like Jonathan said, 6000 miles is extreme and you really could dispense with checking the stretch on your old chain.  Once you buy a new chain, hold it up to your old one and compare the difference in length.

Then take the new chain, while still off the bike, and drape it over your chain rings and see how it fits.  Does it fit snuggly in to the teeth?  (both front and rear).  If so, you are still good on rings and cassette.  Be sure to check the cassette cogs you spend most of your time in.  If they don't quite fit in there right...if once it's wrapped around the cog, there is sliding back and forth, then the cog is too worn and you'll want a new cassette.

That's really it.  Don't worry about cables.  They never 'wear out'.  Sometimes they stretch slightly after they've been in use, but you just need to readjust the derailleurs to resolve that.  Then, keep them forever! unless they get contaminated.  I've replaced mtn bike cables often due to races in mud that, all in one shot, ruin them.  But never needed to on a road bike (and I still have one I build in 1987 that's in service with original cables, cassette, chain rings).

I suggest an SRAM chain.  They use a tool-less master link that is easier to deal with.  You will still need a chain tool to break a link in the new chain to shorten it to the right length.  For that, just count the number of links on your old chain and match that count for the new chain.   Discard the extra links, put it on and snap the master link together.

If you don't want to obtain a $5 chain tool, take the bike in to the shop and ask them for a new chain.  If it needs new cogs they will tell you.  If they tell you it needs a new cassette before they've looked at it, don't trust them.

When it's time for new tires, get a good tire and latex tubes and you will gain speed in your races.

Those are my budget tips for getting the most out of your current bike.

2011-12-20 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3945999

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
wbayek - 2011-12-20 12:26 PM

Yeah, I should have suggested checking your cogs using a new chain like Jeff said.  Good point there.  I have only replaced one (my small front chain ring).

The cables I would debate about just because mine seem to get abused and are a pain in the butt to use when readjusting.  Mine are always frayed or broken.  Not really sure how that happens.

To answer your question about upgrading to a compact, I just bought all the parts for my fiance for this Christmas.  You definitely don't need to buy all brand new stuff either.  There is always a bunch of barely used gear on eBay etc.  I spent $85 on a FSA gossamer front crank/bottom bracket, $65 on an ultegra front shifter, $45 on an ultegra rear D, $25 on front D.  So it's not crazy expensive.  Still something to budget for though.

I don't disagree with Jeff about using good tires/tubes to race with, but again, I trash my tires here in NH with all the potholes and whatever.  Using latex tubes all the time gets expensive with all the flats I earn.  I search and search for deals on continental gp4000s as my regular tire and race with a bontrager R4's with latex tubes.  I have no idea if they make a difference, but Jeff says they do, so that's good enough for me.

Agree with the sram chain choice.  I use this one.

Edited by jgerbodegrant 2011-12-20 2:31 PM
2011-12-20 3:33 PM
in reply to: #3946424

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-20 2:29 PM

Yeah, I should have suggested checking your cogs using a new chain like Jeff said.  Good point there.  I have only replaced one (my small front chain ring).

The cables I would debate about just because mine seem to get abused and are a pain in the butt to use when readjusting.  Mine are always frayed or broken.  Not really sure how that happens.

To answer your question about upgrading to a compact, I just bought all the parts for my fiance for this Christmas.  You definitely don't need to buy all brand new stuff either.  There is always a bunch of barely used gear on eBay etc.  I spent $85 on a FSA gossamer front crank/bottom bracket, $65 on an ultegra front shifter, $45 on an ultegra rear D, $25 on front D.  So it's not crazy expensive.  Still something to budget for though.

I don't disagree with Jeff about using good tires/tubes to race with, but again, I trash my tires here in NH with all the potholes and whatever.  Using latex tubes all the time gets expensive with all the flats I earn.  I search and search for deals on continental gp4000s as my regular tire and race with a bontrager R4's with latex tubes.  I have no idea if they make a difference, but Jeff says they do, so that's good enough for me.

Even your gp4000s are quite good tires compared to what came spec on Warren's bike and would make a good choice as his new tires.  (depends on width though...not sure of their width.  I have a 19mm pair of those but they may have stopped making them).  Warren probably will want a 23mm tire for his rims.

As for the latex, you are right!  I currently only use them on my race wheels, but that's because I have the luxury of race-only wheels.  If I had to train and race on one set, I'd use latex.  I got all upset 2 seasons ago when I had a problem with a wheel that kept puncturing my latex tubes.  4-in-a-row!  It was then that I decided to start patching them.  You can use a standard patch from any $2 patch kit.  And scientific tests have found no decrease in rolling resistance even when the tube has half a dozen patches.  Besides being expensive, they can be seriously hard to find at times so patching is doubly important.  I also find that carrying a small patch kit is easier than carrying a spare tube and is reasonably fast enough that I don't feel any longer that having a spare with me on a training ride is necessary.

Your recommended chain is the one I'd recommend too.

2011-12-20 4:17 PM
in reply to: #3946552

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
JeffY - 2011-12-20 4:33 PM
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-20 2:29 PM

Even your gp4000s are quite good tires compared to what came spec on Warren's bike and would make a good choice as his new tires.  (depends on width though...not sure of their width.  I have a 19mm pair of those but they may have stopped making them).  Warren probably will want a 23mm tire for his rims.

As for the latex, you are right!  I currently only use them on my race wheels, but that's because I have the luxury of race-only wheels.  If I had to train and race on one set, I'd use latex.  I got all upset 2 seasons ago when I had a problem with a wheel that kept puncturing my latex tubes.  4-in-a-row!  It was then that I decided to start patching them.  You can use a standard patch from any $2 patch kit.  And scientific tests have found no decrease in rolling resistance even when the tube has half a dozen patches.  Besides being expensive, they can be seriously hard to find at times so patching is doubly important.  I also find that carrying a small patch kit is easier than carrying a spare tube and is reasonably fast enough that I don't feel any longer that having a spare with me on a training ride is necessary.

Your recommended chain is the one I'd recommend too.

Heck yeah, patch kit is where it's at.  SO many tubes wasted in the past due to small punctures that I am definitely carrying a patch kit now.  For races I stick to the spare...

2011-12-20 8:39 PM

User image

NH

Thanks for all the bike tips - I'll sort through it and figure out what I'm doing.  I did get some Continental Super Sport tires for regular training after the originals were junked this summer on a particularly bad road.  I also have Michelin Pro 3 tires I put on for races only this year.  I don't trust them on the roads around here for everyday training, but they are a LOT faster than whatever I had from the original.

But for Matt, no doubt the aero bars are the biggest gain immediately.  But work them in slowly - it's a trip the first few rides with them on a road bike.  It took me about a month to really get comfortable with them and not feel like I was going to wipe out all the time.

2011-12-20 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

For your viewing pleasure please click here:  But keep in mind it may bring strong feelings of jealousy and envy!  This bike not only looks fast, but will out pace any 10 year old on a BMX bike (I know because my Son couldn't keep up!)

Obviously I do not want to put a lot of money into the bike, but any suggestions for simple improvements would be helpful.  I have the aerobar purchased, but from there I am clueless.  I know I want to get some tires but want to keep the cost down to a minimum, I have found some that state they are "racing" tires for around $70, seems cheap but will they just blow up after 20 miles? 

Also does anyone have a lead on the best "Bike for idiots" book.  I was really lost as I read previous posts about cassettes, chains, shifters and such.

2011-12-21 9:55 AM
in reply to: #3947058

User image

NH
mambos - 2011-12-20 9:57 PM

For your viewing pleasure please click here:  But keep in mind it may bring strong feelings of jealousy and envy!  This bike not only looks fast, but will out pace any 10 year old on a BMX bike (I know because my Son couldn't keep up!)

Obviously I do not want to put a lot of money into the bike, but any suggestions for simple improvements would be helpful.  I have the aerobar purchased, but from there I am clueless.  I know I want to get some tires but want to keep the cost down to a minimum, I have found some that state they are "racing" tires for around $70, seems cheap but will they just blow up after 20 miles? 

Also does anyone have a lead on the best "Bike for idiots" book.  I was really lost as I read previous posts about cassettes, chains, shifters and such.

I am no expert, but I'll say the Pro3 were something like 35 each (on sale) and saved me almost 2 minutes on my favorite 15 mile TT course.  I used them for my races last year and a week or so on either side, so I've got about 250 miles on them and they're fine so far.  The roads up here are totally trash with the winters we get (rain then freeze then snow then rain, etc), so I just get scared using them for everyday training.

2011-12-21 10:06 AM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Here is a link to an article about racing Ironman that could be applied to every new aspiring athlete or an athlete that is trying to escalate their racing to the next level, either speed or distance.

the point of the article is that you should make sure to train appropriately and not try to cram everything into a brief period before your goal race.  This is something I have practiced for nearly a year now.  Last spring I downloaded a 20 week HIM training plan here on BT and followed it, say casually.  I didn't complete every workout as suggested but I did manage to hit nearly all of the volume requirements for the entire period, excluding a few storm events at work. 

My point is; this coming season (probably Sept.) I'll be diving into a HIM and I think I'll be ready because I have been training at a high volume for so long.  I will also pick up the same or harder HIM plan (knowing me probably the easy plan right??) in time to peak before the race I choose.  I guess what I'm trying to point out is that we should consider our training over the long haul as the means to THE end, not train race to race.  At least this is how I see it to get better, faster and be more personally successful.

2011-12-21 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3947747

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-12-21 11:06 AM

Here is a link to an article about racing Ironman that could be applied to every new aspiring athlete or an athlete that is trying to escalate their racing to the next level, either speed or distance.

the point of the article is that you should make sure to train appropriately and not try to cram everything into a brief period before your goal race.  This is something I have practiced for nearly a year now.  Last spring I downloaded a 20 week HIM training plan here on BT and followed it, say casually.  I didn't complete every workout as suggested but I did manage to hit nearly all of the volume requirements for the entire period, excluding a few storm events at work. 

My point is; this coming season (probably Sept.) I'll be diving into a HIM and I think I'll be ready because I have been training at a high volume for so long.  I will also pick up the same or harder HIM plan (knowing me probably the easy plan right??) in time to peak before the race I choose.  I guess what I'm trying to point out is that we should consider our training over the long haul as the means to THE end, not train race to race.  At least this is how I see it to get better, faster and be more personally successful.

Yeah, I would totally agree with this Dirk.  I'm a big fan of using the A, B, C race strategy.  I haven't been able to fully utilize it because of my cancelled races last year, but I was definitely in A, B, and C shape for the corresponding races due to the idea of training with this mentality.  Mostly due to my coaches guidance.  This year without a coach I am on my own, but I am getting better at understanding the whole training cycle idea.

2011-12-21 12:48 PM

User image

NH

I agree with the consistent approach, and I try to also use the A,B,C races in terms of conditioning.  One thing I learned from this group last year though, is that B or C means your fitness level only - once the race is on, it's on.  I think I missed some learning opportunities from my first two tris last year because I treated the actual race as a B or C, rather than going all out with the fitness I brought to the race that day.

Edited by wbayek 2011-12-21 12:49 PM

2011-12-22 5:08 PM
in reply to: #3948174

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I had an awesome day in training today.

1:10:00 on the bike (but this was done pretty easy)

5k run (again easy)

3600 yd swim (this was my hard workout)

I hope I have something left for a 10-12 mile run tomorrow and another hour on the bike, the bike will be little bit harder but still noting crushing.  I am supposed to test on Christmas day but I am not sure how I am going to handle that.  We are also traveling after we have our family celebration and whatever else we do together as a family. 

My trip to Ohio to see family after Christmas will make training difficult.  I am hoping to get a couple of swims and a few run put together while there but I don't know.  We have 3 households to visit and that makes for a few timing issues.  I have already decided to run from my moms to Lisa's mom's house but will have to add a couple miles to the route to get the planned 7 miles in.  the terrain is a little hilly down there too, so my legs aren't really going to get a break.

Do you guys think a week away from the bike and then testing right away when I get back will be off any?  Should I test immediately when I get back (New Years day) or give it a couple of days to get my legs back into cycling a little bit?

2011-12-22 8:21 PM
in reply to: #3950500

User image

NH
DirkP - 2011-12-22 6:08 PM

I had an awesome day in training today.

1:10:00 on the bike (but this was done pretty easy)

5k run (again easy)

3600 yd swim (this was my hard workout)

I hope I have something left for a 10-12 mile run tomorrow and another hour on the bike, the bike will be little bit harder but still noting crushing.  I am supposed to test on Christmas day but I am not sure how I am going to handle that.  We are also traveling after we have our family celebration and whatever else we do together as a family. 

My trip to Ohio to see family after Christmas will make training difficult.  I am hoping to get a couple of swims and a few run put together while there but I don't know.  We have 3 households to visit and that makes for a few timing issues.  I have already decided to run from my moms to Lisa's mom's house but will have to add a couple miles to the route to get the planned 7 miles in.  the terrain is a little hilly down there too, so my legs aren't really going to get a break.

Do you guys think a week away from the bike and then testing right away when I get back will be off any?  Should I test immediately when I get back (New Years day) or give it a couple of days to get my legs back into cycling a little bit?

Looks like a relaxing day off! 

I don't think it would really make a lot of difference whether you go right after the test on New Year's day or bike a few days first.  It sounds like you'll be getting in some training next week so you won't have lost any fitness.  I would personally do it as soon as I got back on the freshest legs possible.

2011-12-22 9:17 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Yup I agree with Warren. I would do my test on good legs as soon as you can. Make sure you follow the warmup really well and you'll be good to go. You should go into the test with your heart pumping. Try to gauge how hard you are going at first by the pressure on the pedals. It will feel pretty easy in the first two minutes. By 5 minutes you should know you're pushin hard, by 10 you start thinking wow, there's no way in hell I would survive breathing out of my nose, by 15 you start really feeling your legs, by 20 you're almost positive you won't make it to 30 at the same effort, by 25 you can't even spit and you just will your way through the last 2 mins.Couple points of advice... Keep your pedal stroke as rounded as you can. Your quads will be screaming without help from your hamstrings. Keep reminding yourself to keep your upper body relaxed, pelvis tilted engaging only the legs and core. You'd be surprised how much form will affect your power.Have fun with that. The sick part is I know you will. :-)
2011-12-23 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3950833

User image

Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas everyone. Its been a while since I visited and I'm way behind the conversation. Jeff, I hope you are doing well after surgery. You all rock and I appreciate everything that I have learned from you all this year. Hoping to take it to the next level next year. I wish everyone good health and safe training through the off-season. This off-season has treated me well, no injuries but not too many training opportunities, here's to another year with less work and more training.

2011-12-23 4:41 PM
in reply to: #3951785

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Jeff Y's Group - Merry Christmas
Holy crap, Ryan is still alive!  Great to hear from you.  I agree...work less, train more.  Sounds like a good plan.  Merry Christmas to you too.

2011-12-24 7:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
From here Christmas becomes hectic, 4 gatherings in 2 days with 1 of them being 2 hours away! Just in case I don't make it back on later, I would like to wish each of you a merry Christmas and hopefully your time is spent with the ones you love most!
2011-12-24 8:13 AM
in reply to: #3952305

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

mambos - 2011-12-24 8:33 AM From here Christmas becomes hectic, 4 gatherings in 2 days with 1 of them being 2 hours away! Just in case I don't make it back on later, I would like to wish each of you a merry Christmas and hopefully your time is spent with the ones you love most!

I know the deal here Matt.  We are 3.5 hours from any of our family so next week will be a week of WAY to much food, not enough sleep, to much 2nd hand cigarette smoke and not as much training as I would like.  I will be avoiding the smoke as much as humanly possible but there will be no complete avoidance of it.  At my in-laws house (during the family Christmas) 6-7 people smoke and it is all in a small house.  Only my wife and mother in law don't smoke.  I like to say it's like a bingo hall in that house when everyone's there.  One difference, you can see through the smoke in a bingo hall.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

2011-12-24 10:47 AM
in reply to: #3952334

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
DirkP - 2011-12-24 9:13 AM

mambos - 2011-12-24 8:33 AM From here Christmas becomes hectic, 4 gatherings in 2 days with 1 of them being 2 hours away! Just in case I don't make it back on later, I would like to wish each of you a merry Christmas and hopefully your time is spent with the ones you love most!

I know the deal here Matt.  We are 3.5 hours from any of our family so next week will be a week of WAY to much food, not enough sleep, to much 2nd hand cigarette smoke and not as much training as I would like.  I will be avoiding the smoke as much as humanly possible but there will be no complete avoidance of it.  At my in-laws house (during the family Christmas) 6-7 people smoke and it is all in a small house.  Only my wife and mother in law don't smoke.  I like to say it's like a bingo hall in that house when everyone's there.  One difference, you can see through the smoke in a bingo hall.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

Oh man,  that royally stinks (and literally stinks).  So good to see family, but hopefully they calm down the smoking a bit while the rest of you are there.  My aunt still smokes, but she has tapered it back a ton since my Nana died from complications from smoking years ago.  She never smokes inside at all any more.  

Merry Christmas to you guys too.  Have safe travels where ever you go and rest up for a great new year of tough training!

2011-12-24 11:03 AM

User image

NH

Wow, I second Jonathan's sympathies for you guys.  Second hand smoke is the worst.  My whole family used to smoke and I HATED going over to their houses, even though we're a tight family.  Now they've all quit so that's a great thing.  I've even got my youngest sister off the couch for a 5k last year and now she's talking to me about doing one this spring.

Just wrapped my long run (66 1/2 minutes, no Achilles or shin pain!) and I'm officially ready for Christmas!  We spend the morning here with our boys and then over to my sister's where we all meet to eat the ravioli we made right after Thanksgiving!  Like you Dirk, it's WAAAAY too much food, but for me it's only today and tomorrow.  I promise to get rid of this 15 pounds before race season.

Merry Christmas everyone, stay safe i your travels and get ready a injury free, PR filled 2012!

2011-12-26 11:41 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

I just wanted to share this.  I know my plan is to run easy every single run through the winter, but on Saturday I just wanted to pick it up a bit because my legs have felt strong from cross-fit.  So I ran for a bit, hit the lap button and just put it in cruise mode for a mile.  I was pushing it pretty well, but nothing hurt.  When my watch beeped off a mile, I slowed it down to normal easy pace for a little over a mile.  That "cruise" mile was at 7:31 pace.  I was definitely breathing hard, but not hurting.  Pretty psyched about that.

2011-12-26 1:04 PM
in reply to: #3954005

User image

NH
jgerbodegrant - 2011-12-26 12:41 PM

Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

I just wanted to share this.  I know my plan is to run easy every single run through the winter, but on Saturday I just wanted to pick it up a bit because my legs have felt strong from cross-fit.  So I ran for a bit, hit the lap button and just put it in cruise mode for a mile.  I was pushing it pretty well, but nothing hurt.  When my watch beeped off a mile, I slowed it down to normal easy pace for a little over a mile.  That "cruise" mile was at 7:31 pace.  I was definitely breathing hard, but not hurting.  Pretty psyched about that.

That's awesome Jonathan, 7:31 is a serious pace.  I think it's fine to add a little pace if you're feeling it.  Cross fit will definitely get your strength up.

I find myself cruising into the 7's on occasion, but not for an entire mile.  I'm really trying to baby my calves/Achilles during this running build.  Today I add in my weight training - mostly kettlebells and  body weight stuff.

2011-12-26 7:17 PM
in reply to: #3954005

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Merry after Christmas. I was off today so it's still like Christmas Jonathon: 1mile when you are feeling good is just fine. But stick to the plan. I do like the lower body strengthening. Today was a treat. I did a 5 mile run then rode outside with a friend. It was in the 30s but not too unpleasant. 33.5 miles. Pretty much a typical training day except it was my first ride on a real bike since September. I feel like such a slug though because I just ended a 3 day no-training streak. Regarding sticking to the plan (the slow volume running plan). I would like to share a little something. You may remember my base run pace was 6.5mph but that I began having some 5mile runs at that pace that wouldn't exceed 130bpm. So I had brought my base pace up to 6.7 or 6.8 for a HR under 140. After starting back post surgery, I had to go back to that 6.5 pace. I had myself getting back up, but recently have found myselfrunning 7.2 for a 140HR. This encourages me. I also finish my runs with no shocked feeling in the legs. Not even after I go to work and spend a couple hours at the desk. It sure takes time...but the 'plan' works to achieve something many of us could never achieve with the more typical running plans.
2011-12-26 7:18 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN
Ok so who knows either their stack and reach numbers, or their touch point coordinates?
2011-12-26 8:32 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Hmmm, I have the numbers but they are on my computer at home. Why are you asking? As far as sticking to the plan...definitely. I was back to easy pace today running the hills in Vermont. I'm now up at my dads house in the Champlain islands so tomorrow's run will be easy and flat... But windy.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jeff Y's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 64