BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-07-29 11:19 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
The race went great! Im beginning to think that the sprint tri is my distance, the longer endurance stuff just is so much harder! I havent seen my exact times but total time was around 1:21 for a 1/4 mile swim (about 8minutes), 12 mile ride (about 39 minutes) and a 3.2 mile run (maybe 31-32 minutes?). The best part was how consistent I felt on the run, I didnt walk at all and I just kept an even pace most of the time and had energy to kick it up at the end. So, Im really glad I decided to spend the money! Im re-inspired now. I also realize you need periodic challenges like this to gauge where you are now- see how far you have come and see how you have so much more to go.

I also got to meet 3 other people who are on the BT forums, we had all chatted about the race the last week and they were all so nice. IT was kind of fun having a little support group.

Ive been thinking about the MS 150- I really am scared of riding that many miles in 1 day, I think its great you are doing it Pene. The local one is Sept 8/9th here. I know they have a shorter route of 50 miles each day, that seems more doable to me.

2007-07-29 6:54 PM

User image

Expert
Poop, I had this long drawn out spiel of congratulations to you, Liz, then the computer wouldn't post it for some bizarre reason and now my kid is screaming for attention. I guess I'll just say well done for now
2007-07-30 4:57 AM
in reply to: #905514

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-29 9:54 AM

I have the MS 150 next weekend so I think it's okay to sort of slack now. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Yep, nothing says I'm taking it easy like a 150 mile bike ride.
2007-07-30 4:58 AM
in reply to: #905578

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
watergirl777 - 2007-07-29 12:19 PM

The race went great! Im beginning to think that the sprint tri is my distance, the longer endurance stuff just is so much harder! I havent seen my exact times but total time was around 1:21 for a 1/4 mile swim (about 8minutes), 12 mile ride (about 39 minutes) and a 3.2 mile run (maybe 31-32 minutes?). The best part was how consistent I felt on the run, I didnt walk at all and I just kept an even pace most of the time and had energy to kick it up at the end. So, Im really glad I decided to spend the money! Im re-inspired now. I also realize you need periodic challenges like this to gauge where you are now- see how far you have come and see how you have so much more to go.

Great race! Glad to hear you did well!
2007-07-31 4:09 PM

User image

Expert
OMG--I'm soooo excited! One of my patients just referred me to a hairsylist in LaCrosse who is a flamer--I've been praying for this!! I've often said I needed to find a gay fellow to figure out what in the world to do with my stupid hair!! He's getting us (me and my receptionist who is just as excited as me!) in THIS Thursday!! Woo-hoo!!

I know, this has nothing to do with triathlon.....but hey, no one is posting anything these days and I'm plumb out of jokes!! Hey, if it looks good, I'll post a pic!!

Jeanette--where are you girl?? I miss your enthusiasm!!

Robb--how's the job going??

Happy Tuesday everyone!!

Have you noticed the moon lately??? It's beautiful!!

I think I made my July goal--to take it a little easier, to find some fun in this stuff again, to find a dude to go biking with (and he's called me every night, even from work--this is a good sign!), and to get ready for the MS 150. I can drive again and that is such a relief! And I have a chiro adjustment for myself tomorrow morning!

How are you all feeling about your July end??

I'm also enjoying the Harry Potter book Did you know JK Rowling gives a percentage of her earnings to MS research?? There's a ton of MS in Scotland I guess If you have seen the movie, I can TOTALLY relate to the Luna Lovegood character!!
2007-07-31 4:53 PM
in reply to: #908749

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I've been lurking lately.....partially because I fell off the training wagon :-P On a good note, I did go out for a walk/run today. Yipes it's hot in Minnesota! My tri this weekend is going to be rough....I'm out of shape again and it's probably going to be hot.

Hope everyone's doing well!

2007-07-31 5:21 PM

User image

Expert
So tell us about your tri--how's the murky water there this time of year? What's your mileage? I think maybe you'll do better than you think. Sometimes I think the more rest you get, the stronger you do. Just go have fun with it. My goals lately are to try to relax more with the swim and run (although my leg still isn't worth snot so I can't really run yet)

2007-07-31 5:28 PM
in reply to: #908835

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
It's in Duluth, MN....the city that I graduated college from. I'm not sure how the water is going to be, but I've heard that the bike is a bit rough (but it's only 10 miles). It'll be fine... my goals are to 1) finish, and 2) have fun
2007-07-31 8:22 PM
in reply to: #908844

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
androgenie - 2007-07-31 6:28 PM

It's in Duluth, MN....the city that I graduated college from. I'm not sure how the water is going to be, but I've heard that the bike is a bit rough (but it's only 10 miles). It'll be fine... my goals are to 1) finish, and 2) have fun

Those are always my goals -- and then I throw in a 3rd, sort of a "I hope to finish in ___ hours" kind of thing. Let us know how you did.

My race for Saturday has been cancelled. Booooo. So I'll be thinking of you out there when I go for a morning run.
2007-07-31 8:24 PM
in reply to: #908749

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-07-31 5:09 PM

How are you all feeling about your July end??

Quite pleased, actually, although I did fall short on the swim. Damn. I need to get my own pool.
2007-08-02 1:12 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Here in MN doing fine. A pretty busy bridge fell into the Mississippi yesterday. CRAZY! People from every part of my life having been asking am I okay, so thought I would send a note to this gang. I am okay. As I hit week 12 of pregnancy, I am hoping to start moving again, it may not look like tri training for a long time.
Quiana

2007-08-02 1:13 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Here in MN doing fine. A pretty busy bridge fell into the Mississippi yesterday. CRAZY! People from every part of my life having been asking am I okay, so thought I would send a note to this gang. I am okay. As I hit week 12 of pregnancy, I am hoping to start moving again, it may not look like tri training for a long time.
Quiana
2007-08-02 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Ah, 2 days of doing nothing. What a lovely feeling.

My sprint tri for Saturday has been cancelled by the race director, so I'm at a crossroads -- do nothing for the weekend except enjoy the feeling of sloth, or go for a long early morning run before the heat and humidity become unbearable?

Decisions, decisions.

And BGT -- if I didn't say it before -- congratulations!
2007-08-02 4:44 PM

User image

Expert
Quiana, you beat me to it--been meaning to get to the computer all day and see how you are! Thanks for checking in with us! And congrats on almost making the 12 week mark! I had two miscarriages before that mark so I always think it is a major accomplishment to pass it! Have you heard the baby's heartbeat yet? I always think that is a major thing, too!!

Casey--How are you? Great, now we'll all be paranoid over bridges! As if I didn't have enough to be paranoid of.........if there is a place in heaven for worriers, I'm a shoo-in!!

okay, here's the haircut pic.....

I took the kids on the bike trail today--major hassle to pack all four bikes and get them situated--just to do 6 miles total. But we went through the tunnel and that was the main thing I wanted them to experience. I want them to love this as much as I do!!

(tunnel.bmp)

(hair.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
tunnel.bmp (74KB - 21 downloads)
hair.bmp (74KB - 19 downloads)
2007-08-06 6:12 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I rode in a charity ride yesterday, 24 miles through Pittsburgh. It was nice and casual, and the company was good, and for the first time in a long time, I actually talked and looked at the scenery as I rode. It was interesting/intriguing/just plain weird to not focus on mph or total time.

Now here's the really strange part -- I'm sore. Legs aching, knees tight, body is weary sore. And it was a slow easy ride. Anyone care to explain how that happened?

I wanted to run at dawn, but fortunately the sky opened up and it poured rain as I was laying in bed contemplating my morning. Ah, I do love an unexpected rain day that allows you to roll over and close your eyes.

So how's everyone else doing this morning?
2007-08-06 8:40 AM

User image

Expert
Silly Prof. I'll tell you why you are stiff and sore and achy. YOU RAN 160 MILES IN JULY!!!!! It is just barely August now and already you've done a few more miles run, some bike and a whole lot of swim, all arms. Holy crap, what do you expect????

Well done, though. I managed to be impressed and I snoop at some pretty amazing logs on here. I don't think I've seen anyone run that much in one month. Period.

My charity ride was okay. I learned some things. Mainly that you get exactly what you train for. My longest outdoor ride on my tribike before this weekend was the 17 miles at my sprint tri in June. The next longest outdoor ride was 36 miles in 4 hours on my mountain bike and that was like zero hills on a wide trail no traffic. My longest trainer ride was 66 miles and I didn't put weight on my hands on the handlebars--I cheated and used aerobars or put my palms flat on the cushy aero padding. So.....my legs did great, my aerobic system did great, my lungs did great, my nerves did okay....my arms and hands and neck hurt like hell!!! I used the blue goo stuff and ibuprofin at the rest stops and that helped some. I did the whole 75 on day one, even though my mind said to stop at mile 67. Interesting, huh? I didn't think I could do more than my longest training ride. There was no sag vehicle in sight, so I finished. Then I got a chiropractic adjustment, ate like a pig while talking to a chick that is doing IMMOO this year and crashed for 10 hours! I was up at 2 am the day of the race to go the three hours to the start area. And I only went to bed at 10:30. Luckily, Steve called me at 2 am when he got off work so I could wake up. Otherwise I don't think I would have made it. I was so dazed when he called that I couldn't find the phone and it was right next to my pillow.

Anyhoo, it rained the last 22 miles and that wasn't much fun. It was just a light rain, but still....then it poured all night with thunder and lightening and was still raining a lot at breakfast. They announced that the 100 mile loop was closed for the day, only the most experienced riders should do the 75 mile loop, and the rest of us should do the 62 mile loop and had to be off the course in 6 hours. It took me 7.5 the day before. About 5 actual biking, and the rest walking around gocking at folks, talking to them, eating, and standing in those incredible lines for the bathrooms! They had karaoke at one rest stop, delicious banana and pumpkin bread at another, a pretty good lunch, and a Hawaiian theme at another. It was fun and well organized and I could actually ride pretty fast at first, but got slower and slower as the miles ticked by. I was doing 19 mph and 23 downhills at first and at the end was more like 11 mph and I walked up a hill. Come to think of it, I walked down a hill, too. It looked slippery in the rain. And my nerves were shot....... So.....I skipped day two. Yep, whimped out. Sagged it. I wasn't the only one. There were four buses back to Waukesha and Madison. And some of the folks in there had done 5 or more MS rides. They didn't like the hail forcast. I didn't either.

Steve was going to get to Madison around noon and bike back toward me, but we were starting later and I didn't like the rain /storm forecast, so I opted to ride the bus back and met him in this little town closer to home, had lunch and we went for a long walk in a really awesome park instead. He had his road bike and had gone for a ride while waiting for me and said the traffic was terrible and the road had no proper edge for bikers. The good news is I felt like I could have gone for a ride--just not a 75 mile one in the rain.

I feel pretty good today. Not too achy, but I did come down with a nasty sinus infection Saturday night. Tons of yellow goo coming out of my nose. Yuck. That was another factor. Rain and snot just didn't sound like a good combo for a ride.

Off to get an adjustment and a Thai massage this morning!!

Sorry for rambling so much and I know my thought process is a bit weird and hard to follow this morning. Sinus meds. They make me sort of fuzzy headed......

2007-08-06 9:47 AM

User image

wow, what a weekend Pene! I think the fact you did 75 miles in 1 day is amazing. I have never done that! Its almost a century! It sounds like you had fun and realized your what your body is capable of??

Prof-not sure why your legs are sore, I have had tired legs all week myself. I have been standing a lot and I thought maybe thats why. Im prepping to go out for a 7 mile run today and I hope the legs hold up. Maybe going slower uses different muscle groups?? Wild guess. Probably not right.

I was just thinking how the forum has been quiet and it probably for the same reasons I havent been writing much, summer is just too much fun to stay inside on the computer. But I missed all of you guys, so if you are reading this, maybe those of you who have been missing, give us a quick update on how your training and racing is going.

I booked tickets last week to go to Kona for the Ironman Sports Medicine conference and I will be working in the Medical Tent for the big Race again, the 8-midnight shift. I kept thinking about it all summer and decided to go again, its such a fun week even if you arent competing. And here is a secret- Im going to put my name in the lottery for a spot for Kona next year. They have a special lottery for anyone attending the conference, the spot is sponsored by Gatorade, and maybe 50 people enter the lottery. I know the chances are slim, but wouldnt it be absolutely crazy if I got a spot???? Especially after I have said I will never do an Ironman. They basically give you training and support througout the year so I thought maybe I could actually do it.

okk, ttfn!
2007-08-06 11:19 AM
in reply to: #914463

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Well, good job for finishing it!!!

My race yesterday was ok....but I now have a distinct hatred for jet ski's when I'm doing an open water swim. Between the waves it was kicking up and the smell of fuel, I was a bit cranky. I've been slacking on most of my training, and it really did show on my swim :-P

Oh well....I was almost DFL, but I don't care. I managed to hit 27 mph down one hill, then maintained 25mph for a good mile while the road was smooth (the roads were SO rough!!). The run was interesting....I think I learned HOW I need to run so I can run for distance.....my HR kept at about 170 (177 is my lactic threshold) for a good stretch of my run.....and that's progress :-)

Well, back to work. I'm a bit sore, but part of that is from tripping up to T1 and skinning my knee!
2007-08-06 11:23 AM
in reply to: #914591

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
watergirl777 - 2007-08-06 9:47 AM

I booked tickets last week to go to Kona for the Ironman Sports Medicine conference and I will be working in the Medical Tent for the big Race again, the 8-midnight shift. I kept thinking about it all summer and decided to go again, its such a fun week even if you arent competing. And here is a secret- Im going to put my name in the lottery for a spot for Kona next year. They have a special lottery for anyone attending the conference, the spot is sponsored by Gatorade, and maybe 50 people enter the lottery. I know the chances are slim, but wouldnt it be absolutely crazy if I got a spot???? Especially after I have said I will never do an Ironman. They basically give you training and support througout the year so I thought maybe I could actually do it.

okk, ttfn!

That's awesome! I would totally volunteer, and I would definitely put my name in for the lottery spot! That's just wicked cool!

I think someday I might want to do an Ironman, but I need to take things in baby steps. As long as I can get my knee in good shape, I'm going to aim for running Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN next year.....then maybe pick a century ride to do that summer. I would love to be able to get an M-dot tattoo someday, just to show that I've done an Ironman race!!
2007-08-07 4:47 AM
in reply to: #914463

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-06 9:40 AM

It looked slippery in the rain. And my nerves were shot....... So.....I skipped day two. Yep, whimped out. Sagged it. I wasn't the only one. There were four buses back to Waukesha and Madison. And some of the folks in there had done 5 or more MS rides. They didn't like the hail forcast. I didn't either.

• It is so easy to get hurt in bad road conditions, when you're tired and weary, and the riders around you are feeling the same. Think I would have packed up, too.

Amazing ride. In January, do you think you ever in your life would have accomplished this? How's that make you feel?
    2007-08-07 4:50 AM
    in reply to: #914591

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    watergirl777 - 2007-08-06 10:47 AM

And here is a secret- Im going to put my name in the lottery for a spot for Kona next year. They have a special lottery for anyone attending the conference, the spot is sponsored by Gatorade, and maybe 50 people enter the lottery. I know the chances are slim, but wouldnt it be absolutely crazy if I got a spot???? Especially after I have said I will never do an Ironman. They basically give you training and support througout the year so I thought maybe I could actually do it.

okk, ttfn!

If they give you 2 lottery tickets, put my name on one!

2007-08-07 4:55 AM
    in reply to: #914794

User image

Expert
    , District of Columbia
    androgenie - 2007-08-06 12:19 PM

Oh well....I was almost DFL, but I don't care. I managed to hit 27 mph down one hill, then maintained 25mph for a good mile while the road was smooth (the roads were SO rough!!). The run was interesting....I think I learned HOW I need to run so I can run for distance.....my HR kept at about 170 (177 is my lactic threshold) for a good stretch of my run.....and that's progress :-)

Well, back to work. I'm a bit sore, but part of that is from tripping up to T1 and skinning my knee!

Every race I do is a learning experience. Sounds like you had a good one -- great job!
    2007-08-07 10:58 AM
    in reply to: #915920

User image

Veteran
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks Prof!
    2007-08-07 12:43 PM

User image

Expert
    Casey, I am in absolute awe of you. You actually finished the whole 150! And you have now done more sprint tri's than me as well! I'd say you are in line to do an IM if you want it. You just have to really want it bad enough to put yourself through the hours of training. I believe in you

Liz, I figured one day you would succumb to the IM spell! You are already a gifted swimmer and have done half mary's so all you have to do is master the bike (and if I can do okay with it, then surely you can). Remember my post the first day I actually rode the tribike outside? I was all in a tizzy (more than usual) because everything freaked me out--the daintiness of the bike, the posture, the rocks on the road, the wind, the hills, the downhills, the traffic--everything! Now I'm gearing up for that Century ride over labor day. I signed up for it and then thought I wouldn't do it afterall and now I think I can! It's a tour of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and it is supported with rest stops--food and water. It won't be that much of a stretch now to train for just 25 more little miles. Or at least I'm optimistic today............

Prof--feeling better yet? Why on earth did you do 160 miles of run in July anyway?? What in the world got into you??? Good for you though!! What's the next milestone?

Where is everyone else these days???????
    2007-08-07 6:51 PM

User image

Expert
    Guess what? I just signed up Jockstrap for IMMOO THIS September 9! I'll do one of the bike aid stations from noon to about 5 which leaves the morning for me to watch the swim and the evening to watch the run and finish. Then I can spend the night in Madtown and be there for the IM sign up the next morning if I haven't chickened out by then. It will be exactly one week after my Century ride and I'll have the chance to see the bike close up and observe stuff like the bikes, equipment, what they are drinking and eating, etc. Then I'll have enough info to make a totally educated decision!
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72