BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-08-08 4:17 AM
in reply to: #916561

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-07 1:43 PM

Prof--feeling better yet? Why on earth did you do 160 miles of run in July anyway?? What in the world got into you??? Good for you though!! What's the next milestone?

I wondered if I could do it. So I thought, give it a try and see.

I'm working on my next milestone. I have a few in mind, and I'm looking at my calendar to see if I have the time I need to train. I'll keep you posted.

I'm envious of your IM volunteerism -- it sounds fun, and yes, you will definitely gain some perspective about signing up for one of these for next year.

Oh, and by the way, you've decided that "taking it easy" isn't your thing?

2007-08-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: #640246

User image

HEY GUYS! remember me??????? The last few months i have been flat out like A lizard drinkin!
I have recently started a fittness course to become a personal trainer which is sooo much fun. Did u all know the best way to lose weight is strenght training?? how awsome is that! That is currently taking up tueday thursday nights and all day sundays. I am also playing footy 3 times a week which eats up monday wed! and and and i got myself a lovely girlfriend is just like so great so there is many quality moments spent with her. Sadly my training has fallen by the way side but im looking to rectify asap. ive started running whilst on lunch at work, can only squeeze 15 mins in but its 15 mins more than i have been doing and have recently competed in a 12 km fun run. MY goal time was 60 mins, my actual time was 60 mins 30 secs! 30 secs hurt me so much. But as annoyed as i am i should be happy because i knocked 6 mins off my previous years time and this year i did litterally no training! imagine if i just did a bit of training hey!

anyway thats about all just wanted to check in and let u all know this aussie is still hanging around and will tri and rectify this no training buisness my october tri goal is out the window but ive now set my focus on 1 in novemeber.

catch u all on the flip side
malphh

p.s if u have any personal training/weights/weightloss questions fire them this way and i will try and answer them with the best of my ability or ask my course coaches

peace out!
2007-08-08 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Malphie....the Malphster....the Man.....Hey dude!! Welcome back!!

Sounds like you are having a lot of success training. Not all training is just swim-bike-run--some of it is weight training so you can be strong enought to handle three sports (or four in your case with the footy).

So what is your November goal??
2007-08-09 12:00 AM

User image

TRE-X SERIES 2: 2007/2008 EVENT DATES
RACE 1 Sunday 11th November, 2007 350 - 10 - 4

Thats my goal right there and i Will do it.
2007-08-09 11:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Ok, I'm telling you all about my next big goal. I'm telling everyone so I can't back down on this (and to make sure I have people on my tail about training!). I'm going to do Grandma's Marathon in Duluth, MN in June of 2008!
2007-08-09 5:32 PM

User image

Expert
Yeah Casey!!!! My mom lives about 70 miles from Duluth. It would be a great marathon to do-I hear excellent things about it. When exactly is it next year? I have plans to do the same tri in West Salem, near me, that I did this year, except do the intermediate distance (.9, 24, 10K) and that is around June 10, then do the HighCliff 70.3 around June 24. I think squeezing a mary or even a half in there would be pushing it. But I'd love to some day! You'll have a blast!

I ran a bit today for the first time since I tore my hamstring around 6-7 weeks ago. It went okay but for my upper respiratory infection I got from doing the last 22 miles of the MS ride in the rain Saturday. I think I'll be able to do that October 28 marathon now after all. I chose it because of the fall leaves in Michigan. Should be breathtaking!

Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me, I finally got a forerunner, happy birthday to me! It 's not until the 21st, but I was in LaCrosse and got a wild hair. And the bikefitter dude gave me $53 off on it!! (I've spent a small fortune there already and give them my exclusive business!) I'll have to have them check out my bike. Stuff keeps falling off it. A screw fell off when it was on the trainer and I couldn't find where it came off....then on mile 2 of the MS ride, something else fell off. I stopped, but couldn't see what it was or where it was.....now you know why I weenied out on the slippery downhill in the rain....I am surprised the darn thing stayed together for me!

I'm such a great mom.....I bought Noah a wetsuit. Or ordered it at least. Poor thing has like 5% body fat and can't float for anything. He has his first tri August 18! I have reservations at a Holiday Inn, so it will sort of be my birthday party {you know you are a triathlete when you think an expensive GPS wristwatch and a kids' triathlon sounds like the perfect birthday deal}

I also made reservations for IMMOO so I can get up on Monday and go stand in line for my voucher for IMMOO 2008!! The bike dude said the hills around here are way more difficult than the MOO course. And now I have the forerunner to measure elevation and praise myself profusely when I do ones that are more than the 1244 top elevation of the MOO course! I'll have to figure out how to use the darn thing for my century ride!

2007-08-10 4:52 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Sounds like everyone is having a goal-setting week. Hmm, I have some time later this morning when I'll be stuck in a long meeting. Might have to take out my note pad and start getting creative so I can keep up with you all!
2007-08-10 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Prof, maybe the Self-Transcendance run over 21 days (run in a circle loop of about .5 miles and over 3000 laps)? Or the Leadville 100? RAGBRAI next year? Or a 12 hour/100 mile mountain bike race? Perhaps a Criterium? Or a double deca IM????

Can't wait to hear what you pick

Where the heck is Rob? Jeannette? Helen? Mark? Quiana? Well, at least Malph checked in!

Have a great weekend !!
2007-08-12 2:36 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
So when we talk about choosing a challenge, should I pick a race just to do it -- say IM Louisville for 2008, which requires me to register in a few weeks? Or do I set my sights on something I've never done, such as running 35 miles in a day? I've got a birthday on the horizon, and the new semester starts in 3 weeks, and I'm feeling a combination of "end of the summer" and "old man" pangs. That, and I'm feeling left behind from watching all of you accomplish some great things!
2007-08-13 8:48 AM

User image

Expert
Happy Birthday, Prof! Your's isn't by any chance the 21st like mine? There are dozens of people with that birthday it seems. One of my Amish patient's gave me a wonderful card and a box of Dots! She's special. Meaning she is a bit retarded and has a scoliosis and a speech defect, and bless her little heart, but she's even rather homely. But I love her and have taken her under my wing. She went through a depression and I mothered her through it and told her she's my favorite patient (she is!) and she is just the most beautiful soul! Anyway, I'll keep the card forever. The dots are nearly gone though

You should do IMMOO 2008 with me!! Or not. Whatever. You'll pick the right thing

I got a reading at the Spiritualist camp yesterday and the spirits gave me full permission to do an IM! I even have a spirit guide that is a runner/swimmer! I'm supposed to call on her to help me when I get tired on the run! No prob! How cool is that????
2007-08-14 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Hey Prof--I've got one for you: http://danceswithdirt.com

It's a 50K September 8 in Hell, Michigan, in pursuit of the 50 states marathon deal. Supposed to be a very grueling, dirty, cross several rivers, lots of mud sort of deal--perfect for you!! Think how cool it will be to say you did a dirty marathon in Hell?!!?

Malph--sort of sounds right up your alley, too!!

2007-08-15 5:09 AM

User image

That looks soooo much fun! There are a couple adventure races out this way that include running cycling and canooeing but none of my friends are A) not fit enough b) not silly enough!
2007-08-15 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Okay I'm gonna whine a little....my hamstring still hurts when I run. Not real bad or anything, but it is much weaker than my left leg now. I'm even a lefty biker now. Meaning I have to put my left foot on the pedal to start. Can't manage it correctly with the right. So when I run I feel really out of balance and I bike pushing lots harder with the left leg. I tried to pick up the run pace to a whopping 5.6 mph (I know, pitiful) just for like a tenth of a mile, and my hamstring hollared loudly!! So I only did 3 measly miles, and my goal was a nice slow 7. I've got a Half on September 23 and a Full October 28 and I truly do not want to miss either. My goal was to just finish even if it is 70% walking. I know of people who do the run part of an IM on a fast walk because of knee issues, and that was going to be my strategy. But honestly, I'd at least like to say I ran the first third of it at least.......Maybe I should just stick to walking to my ham's tolerance right now so that the muscles get used to going longer??? It just seems soooo hard to not run as much as I can. Any advice from those who have actually done a half at least???

On a happier note, Noah's wetsuit is supposed to be delivered today. He's been in the water almost every day now for "lessons". It isn't going real great, but he can do the backstroke now and I do think a wetsuit will cure his sinking legs. (like mother, like son--that's why I love flippers!). I just so want him to be able to finish and still like it and want to continue. It is my dream to do a tri with my kids some day--not to race them but to just go with them and make it fun! His tri is THIS Saturday and we have a 5 hour drive Friday night after work so that we can be there in the morning and not have complete chaos! I'm more nervous about it than Noah!
2007-08-16 5:35 AM
in reply to: #926446

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-08-15 9:42 AM

Okay I'm gonna whine a little....my hamstring still hurts when I run. Not real bad or anything, but it is much weaker than my left leg now. I'm even a lefty biker now. Meaning I have to put my left foot on the pedal to start. Can't manage it correctly with the right. So when I run I feel really out of balance and I bike pushing lots harder with the left leg. I tried to pick up the run pace to a whopping 5.6 mph (I know, pitiful) just for like a tenth of a mile, and my hamstring hollared loudly!!

Hey Doc - sounds like you need to go see someone. When did you have that last looked at?

And good luck to your son on Saturday. Sounds like quite the family adventure!
2007-08-16 8:31 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks for the concern Prof. I know it isn't a complete rupture or I'd never be able to walk, bike, jog or even swim and I have been. It isn't bleeding internally anymore, but did for over a week when I first pulled it. It isn't bad pain, but I'm hyper aware of it and stop when it twinges and feels like it has had enough. I just think that I favored it for 7 weeks, and it is naturally weaker now, but can be rehabed. I did see two different chiropractors to make sure my hip/Sacroiliac joint was in place and the nerve supply is sufficient. Also had a few massages. Haven't gone the acupuncture route yet, but might. There isn't really anything else the medicals can do for me other than an MRI, and I don't see the need for that--it clearly isn't a surgical case. So the answer is time, patience, some specific strengthening exercises for the right leg that don't overwork the ham, and more patience! I have to remember to run to my tolerance and then just back off. I took yesterday off from running and just got in the lake with Noah to try out his wetsuit, and today the leg feels much better. Patience. Not one of my best virtues!!

OKAY WHERE ARE YOU PEOPLE???????? I'M TIRED OF LOOKING AT MY OWN FACE ON HERE AND NO ONE ELSE!!! COME ON, IF YOU ARE STILL BREATHING LET US KNOW, PLEASE

Maybe we need an especially nasty challenge to get folks going??
2007-08-16 10:52 AM
in reply to: #927920

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I'm here....I tweaked my back a bit in a dance class on Saturday, which means I've been taking it easy so I can dance this weekend at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival. Then, back and knee willing, I'll be back on the training wagon to get ready for my du in mid September. 2mi run, 20mi bike, 2mi run....running is my weakest sport, so we'll see how this goes!

~Casey~

2007-08-17 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Greetings y'all from across the pond.

I have got back to my desk after two weeks of indulgence and rest and feel fat and bloated (but remarkably fresh).

How the devil are you all? I have done a bit of training this week but really only just enough to get back in the groove. I am doing an Oly on Sunday to practice a bit and next week is going to be ows week as I have just picked up my wet suit so guess I need to put in some time getting it on and off and not looking like a muppett doing so. Any tips from you ows vets?

Good to see Malphh's back and that Quiana is still checking in. Pregancy can be a real drain (as can a new girlfriend) so well done to both of you for putting your heads up.

I hope you all have a good weekend and I'll let you know on Monday how I get on.

Mark (back in the groove) Stanley
2007-08-17 11:58 PM

User image

sorry i havent been around- ive been meaning to answer your question Pene- about the hamstring. Ive discovered that hamstring injuries dont like to go away. And, the more I stretched mine, the worse it got. I think biking is helpful for it though. Running seems to totally aggravate mine. In fact, im taking a relatively easy week this week because my hamstring seemed to be really annoyed again. Im going to be honest with you, a half marathon is pretty darn hard on an injured leg. And if you havent been really running much, unless you walk/run it, Im worried you might really injure it more in teh race. Im up to 7miles for my long run, and my half is the end of October> and Im worried I wont be able to get past 10! thats just my humble opinion, a half marathon is nothing to take lightly. I mean, it was really hard for me last year and I trained religiously and was barely injured.

welcome back Mark- ive missed the dry English wit immensely! Your half ironman is almost here!! It will be great to see how far you have come from where you were when you started on this forum.

I have my last scheduled tri of the season on Sunday, the Danskin. Im excited to do it just for the amazing female camraderie. Its never my fastest race, with 5000 participants, the transiton area alone feels like a mile ! its just fun. I havent been doing much swimming and biking though so it will be interesting to see how it goes. good luck on your Oly Mark!
2007-08-18 4:23 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Ah, its almost relieving to see that I'm not the only one who's taken it easy these past few weeks. Not that I'm complaining -- it feels great to be just a bit slothful. But it's time to get busy again.

Here's hoping we all have a great week back in the saddle!
2007-08-18 4:24 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Well, it's Saturday afternoon, and I'm done for the day. The morning swim felt great -- just nice to be in the water, which I realized was my 1st in two weeks -- and actually had me wishing I could do more. So I'm thinking an early Sunday morning swim might be just the ticket.

At least, I was, until I saw the sign on the pool deck saying that the pool is getting its annual cleaning and will be closed for the next 7 days. So, essentially, it was pretty much just an "oh crap" moment.

So I've got a long run planned for tomorrow instead, followed by a morning walk with my wife. And a steaming pot of coffee and the Sunday paper. Actually, I don't think I'll mind the pool being closed one bit.
2007-08-20 4:28 PM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
I'm in pure carb and sugar binge mode, and I swear, if it is within reach of my mouth, I'll eat it.

Think I'm kidding? Here we go -- and if I've left something out, it is because of memory lapse and not because I'm trying to hide the extra calories. Which, God knows, are at this moment forming around my midsection.

Since Sunday morning, I've eaten, in addition to the normal grazing I do:

a sour cream donut
2 bagels
a 3 Musketeers Bar
a bag of peanut M&Ms
1/2 a Hershey's w/almonds bar
a french baguette (not a piece of one, mind you, but the whole thing -- with copious amounts of
butter)
3 pieces of toast

Anyone else submitting to cravings?

2007-08-20 4:56 PM

User image

Expert
Hello, I'm Pene and I'm a carb addict, too.

that's why I do tri's.....or that's part of it!

Okay, so we didn't make it to Noah's tri. We got 2 hours down the road and with every mile the dread and anxiety mounted higher and higher. Not the driving exactly==though Noah had commented on all the semi's! But just the feeling that we should go home! So I pulled over and talked with Noah and expressed the hesitation I had about him doing an open water swim when he really can't swim yet. He agreed and said he'd feel better in a pool for his first tri! So I cancelled the hotel reservation, saving us $150 when we would get there too late for the pool and have to leave in the morning too early for breakfast! And we went home to catch the drips from the torrential rain, thus saving my king sized mattress and the wood floors! It rained the next day and still is raining! I don't think he would have enjoyed his first tri in the rain. So that was a good call. Then today my car stalled. Just plain stopped. I pulled over, called my receptionist to come get me and at noon we towed it (just us girls) to town and they are looking at it as I write! I'm back to using my beater van. It's either the alternator or something else big...any bets?? I think there was a part of me that sensed that something was wrong and it was a miracle we made it back home. I let my AAA membership lapse and it would be hard to call a friend to travel 4 hours one way to tow me home!

I think I will do a half in October rather than the full marathon. I can do a 4 mile or so hobble run, and then I'm pooped! So even the half will be pushing it me thinks......

And I'm facing the facts here and sense that perhaps it will be better for me to do an IM in 2009. Prof--what do you say? I just thought I should do a full marathon before signing up for one.....but maybe it doesn't matter? I have a century ride in a few weeks now and feel okay about that. It won't be easy, but I think I can finish provided it isn't raining yet!! The swim is just going to be one of those things that I need to work on yet. I did all open water swims this summer and I feel much more at home in the lake now. I'm not afraid of drowning and I haven't even been using my wetsuit lately. I just haven't done much at a time because I often have the kids with me and I don't want to go too far out with them playing in the sand on the beach.

Steve the biker dude is history. He did the "too much distance" line on me. Typical. But now it's on to a pharmacist who is almost as far away, but very enthusiastic about meeting me. I even told him about my debt, crazy religious ideas, and the fact that I don't really cook or clean. None of that scared him off yet! I go through men like Prof goes through donuts!!
2007-08-20 6:13 PM
in reply to: #933081

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Me too Prof.....for me its been ice cream bars, pasta, and bread. At least there's some protein and/or fiber in my binges of late. *sigh* Must get back on the eating right/training bandwagon. I have a du in a month!!!!
2007-08-21 11:49 PM
in reply to: #933081

User image

prof40 - 2007-08-20 2:28 PM

I'm in pure carb and sugar binge mode, and I swear, if it is within reach of my mouth, I'll eat it.

Think I'm kidding? Here we go -- and if I've left something out, it is because of memory lapse and not because I'm trying to hide the extra calories. Which, God knows, are at this moment forming around my midsection.

Since Sunday morning, I've eaten, in addition to the normal grazing I do:

a sour cream donut
2 bagels
a 3 Musketeers Bar
a bag of peanut M&Ms
1/2 a Hershey's w/almonds bar
a french baguette (not a piece of one, mind you, but the whole thing -- with copious amounts of
butter)
3 pieces of toast

Anyone else submitting to cravings?

Just curious- did writing it out seem helpful? I mean, have you slowed down because you realized just how much its been?
Yes, Ive been ravenous ever since my race Sunday morning. I worked today and the candy drawer was stocked full of reeses peanut butter cups and kit kats and i also had 4 oreos and then after dinner I had 4 donut holes and another reeses peanutbutter cup. At least it was mini one. Does that make you feel any better??
My race went well although it POURED down rain pretty much the whole time. People were wiping out on their bikes right and left, too many inexperienced racers in the rain. It was a big wet mess. My times were ok, I had to slow down more for turns and they even had us walk our bikes at some points because of the wet road so my bike time was a little slower than I had hoped it would be. The swim was like an obstacle course, there were so many swimmers spread out that I kept having to dodge people. I had a good run though, felt strong. I came in 77 out of 343 for my age group though. And 499th out of 3495 overall. Not bad! Im tempted to do one more sprint this year, there are a bunch here in September.

Mark how did the Oly go?
2007-08-22 1:18 AM

User image

Expert
Liz, those rankings are awesome!! It does me good to hear that when you stick with this stuff, eventually you get better! Cause I sure am starting out at the bottom in my rankings and it is disheartening until I remember I am competing with athletes who have done this stuff many many times more than me and I'm not really going full barrels because I don't know if I can go full out and finish. I just ate two pieces of birthday cake and a swallow of milk because it is pouring down rain, tons of thunder and lightening, and I can't sleep! It doesn't usually keep me up....weird.

I have nothing sports related further to report. But I had a good birthday! My sister gave me a new purple duffle bag and there is this cool pocket for the shoes so they don't get your other stuff dirty. My receptionist gave me a new tank top for working out in and that is good because my other ones have mystery stains on them and are starting to get holes. My neighbor lady whose kids love mine and some of my kids are always over at her house or all of hers are over at mine, gave me flowers, balloons and a birthday cake (Bratz dolls on it--Micah picked it out)! They aren't moving after all and that is a big relief. Her daughter shares my birthday. One of my patients also shares my birthday and she brought me cookies (I ate 3 of them on the way home). And strangest of all---my ex called and said he wanted the kids to give me a gift so he gave me an american express gift card number and asked me to buy myself some pajamas online with it from the kids ($50 worth). Amazing. My mom, however, apparently forgot my birthday--no card and no phone call. Interesting.

So my house is all cleaned up and I am ready to go meet the pharmacist tomorrow night who is taking me out to dinner at get this, a casino that is half way in between. I have NEVER done any sort of gambling. Not even slot machines. So this should be an adventure. I'm bringing $20 and that's it.

My car is fixed. Fuel pump. $647!! Apparently the part was $467??? That just doesn't seem right to me.....I'm going to have several guy patients and friends look into that. I mean really........that should be a whole new engine for that price! I'm trying to look at the bright side. At least I wasn't in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic going to Noah's tri 4 hours away in the middle of the night. Or in the rain. I think the angels were looking out for me when they whispered to me to turn around and head on back home Maybe I'll win enough to pay for the car!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72