BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 70

2011-11-13 6:25 PM
in reply to: #3900421

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!!

Way to go, Hilde!

2011-11-15 8:27 PM
in reply to: #3900515

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

DRIVE BY MO FO

PEACE BABY!!!!  QUIET AROUND HERE!!!! BANG BANG

2011-11-16 4:44 AM
in reply to: #3903608

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Yeah, it is quiet around here... I think we're all getting over injuries and sickness!  Adapting to trainig without heat. 

Just a thought for y'all... this is the perfect time to think back over your past season, praise yourself for your hard work, and look honestly at your strengths and weaknesses.  It's easy to motivate yourself to train your strengths, not so easy to really work on those weaknesses.  Think about what you want to accomplish next season, do you want to move up to a new race distance??  Maybe try that Olympic or Half Iron... anyone want to train for the full Iron??  Start working on that baseline stuff, but enjoy the freedom to not train too!  Do some fun stuff, maybe an adventure race.  Enjoy the upcoming holidays but watch the calories, you don't want to have to take off 10 pounds after Christmas! 

2011-11-16 7:50 AM
in reply to: #3259026

User image

Regular
Hilde, I can't move up anymore...have to decide which exact weakness to work on. Too many of them! I think Wislon should do a 1/2 IM...especially with that shiny, fast new TT bike.
2011-11-16 7:48 PM
in reply to: #3903884

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

joes - 2011-11-16 8:50 AM Hilde, I can't move up anymore...have to decide which exact weakness to work on. Too many of them! I think Wislon should do a 1/2 IM...especially with that shiny, fast new TT bike.

Joe, I'm not sure if you were kidding or not???  I am seriously thinking about it...I've gone as far identified my winter maintenance plan - and worked backwards 20 weeks to start the HIM plan to target my race the end of July........I must lose 30-40 more lbs to be successful and I must work on my biggest weakness and metal block which is the swim....I need to get in the pool asap if I ever want to swim 1.2 miles.  I've never ran more than 8 miles and my max bike is 52 miles so I have a long way to go....The swim flat out scares me even tho I have no fear of water and like to swim - hell, I even scuba dive.  I love the idea of the mental and physical challenge of the HIM.  To me it also insists that each sport is managed properly and nutrients are taken in to have a successful race - that excites me as to the planning and execution of a good solid plan.  Success to me is defined as doing the best I possible can given whatever circumstances are handed to me.....Finish is the metric I would look to meet - the rest is managing myself and pushing as hard as possible without hurting myself or dying on the course!!!!  Joe your story is an inspiration to me and your spirit and pride at the end of the race was spectacular!!!!  Obviously an HIM is NOT an IM, but for me it would be mount everest for sure!

2011-11-16 8:45 PM
in reply to: #3904899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

2011-11-16 9:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Wilson, I think you'd rock the HIM, judging by how quickly you built endurance on the bike. A good goal for next year, fer sure.

Finishing a HIM was my goal for this year, but it wasn't meant to be. There were two in Phoenix; I did the one in the spring, but it was converted to a duathlon at the last minute, so it didn't count. And the one in the fall was just one week after my marathon, so that was out.

So, I'm planning the same two HIM's next year. I haven't ruled out traveling for that one up near Chicago in late summer, either. I am inching toward a full IM, but I think that may be 2013's goal. A friend of mine from last year's Team in Training team is doing IMAZ this weekend. I'm kicking myself, because I have to be out of town for training. I REALLY wanted to volunteer again and meet him (and my swim coach, who's doing it for the 2nd time) at the finish line. I was even toying with signing up for next year's race, but there's no chance of getting in if I'm not in town, I think. Endurance and speed on the bike is my biggest hurdle to getting there, so I'm going to start hitting that this winter. (Winter is good riding weather around these parts). I wanted to do a century in the early spring, but I haven't found one that fits with my other races.

I don't WANT to want to do an IM, if that makes sense, but I can't get it out of my mind!

2011-11-17 4:50 AM

User image

Regular
Wilson & Tammy, when the time is right I think you should go for it! It's a big commitment, on you and the fam, but you'll nver regret the decision.
2011-11-17 5:59 AM
in reply to: #3905125

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

Someone's been drinking the KoolAid... you know, the IM KoolAid!!  I would love to say I've done one, but I don't want to put in those hours and hours of training, esp. all those long, long bike rides.  Now if we were all within driving distance of each other and could get together every weekend for those 100 milers so I wouldn't have to do them all alone, well, I've always said NEVER to an IM, but I could maybe consider a half, I just don't know at this age.  We'll see how a couple of Oly's go first, ha ha! 

But I would love to cheer the rest of you die hards on!!!

2011-11-17 7:28 AM
in reply to: #3905146

User image

Regular
Hilde, no koolaid here....if "I" can do one, anyone can do one! It's just takes a little time and effort!
2011-11-18 7:44 PM
in reply to: #3887140

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL

Watch out Joe -- there are a few of us on here!  I'm with Hilde - definitely NOT cute -- especially 8th graders.  Heck I didn't even like my own kids when they were 8th graders!! haha

wrkinprogress - 2011-11-07 4:27 PM
hildekq - 2011-11-07 3:10 PM

joes - 2011-11-07 11:33 AM Do Teachers teach anymore or are they just off all the time?

You are fighting with FIRE there Mr. Joe!!!!  Why would anyone WANT to put up with this crap???  If I knew then what I know now...... I wouldn't be teaching that's for sure.  Kids are NOT cute!!

Amen, sistah-- and I have TOTAL respect for ye who teach said youngsters! Heck, I teach those who are supposedly 'adults,' and that's enough of a nightmare for me!

2011-11-18 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Orlando, FL

Well, I'd like to throw my hat into the HIM ring .... but I'm nervous about whether I can put in the time.  I'm going to start a plan when I return from Thanksgiving.  The race I'm looking at is Apr 15  so I'll see if I can put in the time.  In the meantime, I'm still training for the marathon in Feb.   I've got it in my mind that I want to do a HIM and have a tatoo done on my shoulder that says 70.3.  It's a bucket list kinda thing.  Gotta lose 20 more pounds and figure out how to get those long bike rides in.  Hmmmm   It's got to be in the spring though because the oly in July (and the one before in Oct) was way too hot!!  My limiters are the bike and the run ... haha.  The only thing I do well is swim and being 55 years old, that's getting slower too.  I know if I could put some time in on it though it would get back to decent. 

BTW, Tammy, awesome job on the transformation!  I've had about 15 pounds creep back on over this year.  I've got to get a handle on my eating again.

2011-11-20 7:44 AM
in reply to: #3907894

User image

Expert
Temple, TX

(reposted from today's blog)

Oh my MMM and BT friends, I am so glad you are here.  There will be no Warrior Dash today, at least not for the Germann family.  Last night around 9:30 I got the call no parent wants to get, "Your son is injured is on his way to the hospital in an ambulance".  All I knew was that he had hurt his hand "really bad".  Ron and I got to the hospital, Reade had been at a party and was shooting some fireworks with another guy.  They wanted to shoot one from the front of the house, over the roof to the backyard where the party was.  To do so, the tube they were dropping the artillery firework into had to point over the house, and dumb Reade offered to hold it.  It pretty much blew up his right hand.  When we got to the hospital he still had all his fingers, there was a ton of blood, his hand was wrapped in about 6 inches of gauze and the blood was still soaking through.  He had burns on his other arm, but that was minor compared to the hand.  After what seemed like hours, wait, it WAS hours, about 12:20 a.m. they rolled him into surgery.  They had no idea what they were going to be able to do till they got in there and got it cleaned up.  The doc came out to talk to us around 2:30.... his wrist bones are gone, arteries and veins, gone, nerve, gone, lots of explosive damage.  Somehow his thumb, index and second finger are still working and still have blood flow, they are hoping to save them and barring them dying, or infection, they hope they can rebuild something of his hand.  The hand surgeon doc is supposed to be one of the best in the country, in fact, the other surgeon told us that if he had to blow up his hand, he picked a good night for it.  The doc then told us that there was a 50-50 chance of saving his hand.  They'll do another surgery on Monday and he might wake up with his right hand gone.  Of course, he can't do his job either, so we're not sure how that will work for income because of course he doesn't have any short or long term disability, luckily he does have health insurance through Ron.  If they manage to save his hand, he'll have multiple surgeries, probably some skin grafting, and then rehab/PT.  We just don't know that much right now, but hopefully the second surgery will give us more answers, good or bad.  It's a hard day here in Texas.  I'm just about to pick up Kati who just found out about this this morning, and we're heading up and I am hoping the doc has spoken to him because I don't want to be the one to share that news.  His poor girlfriend was a basket case, and she's gonna have a hard time ahead of her dealing with all this too.

I love you guys, I can already feel all your cyber hugs....

2011-11-20 7:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Marine City, MI

Glad your son is somewhere where there are experts.  Please know that the MMMers are in your corner and will be thinking and praying for your son.    Please let us know how things are going when you have time.

2011-11-20 8:02 AM
in reply to: #3908780

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oh, Hilde, that's an awful thing to have happen! Big hug, we're thinking about you and hoping for the best with that hand!
2011-11-21 9:11 AM
in reply to: #3908782

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Reade is in surgery right now. Guess they had a last minute open opening because it wasn't supposed to be till this afternoon. He seemed ready to get it over with. He (and we) have so much love, support and prayers it has just been incredible. Today will definitely be hard, but going home tomorrow and facing life without that hand will be a challenge. The boy has my sense of humor so I wouldn't be surprised if he decorates that stump with Christmas lights! His buddies ordered him a one handed video game controller and had it overnight expressed so it will be there when he gets home so he can still play his favorite video game. His girlfriend has been a rock through all this, we are so blessed to have her in our loves. He needs to marry her!!! We are still struggling with the reality of all this, but I think we are all ready to move on with his new reality. I wish we could fast forward 2 months, because I think things will be settled down by then. Thank you all for all your support, you just don't know how it helps.

2011-11-21 12:28 PM

User image

Regular
The family sends our thoughts and prayers to TX...may the Lord take care of your family during this most difficult of times!
2011-11-21 2:50 PM
in reply to: #3910179

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
He made it through surgery fine, but was still sleeping after the surgery so Ron and I left to get some lunch and then we'll go back over.  So we haven't spoken to him yet to see how he's reacted to it all.  I thought I would be prepared, but I wasn't... to see that stump without a hand, it was so sad.  But it's over, it's gone, and now we move on.  He will go home tomorrow and then his work begins to figure out his new life.  It will be a month before they start talking prosthetics, so he'll have that time to learn how to write with his left hand and do things one handed.  Knowing Reade, this will not hold him back!
2011-11-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3910454

User image

Extreme Veteran
Zionsville, Indiana

hildekq - 2011-11-21 3:50 PM He made it through surgery fine, but was still sleeping after the surgery so Ron and I left to get some lunch and then we'll go back over.  So we haven't spoken to him yet to see how he's reacted to it all.  I thought I would be prepared, but I wasn't... to see that stump without a hand, it was so sad.  But it's over, it's gone, and now we move on.  He will go home tomorrow and then his work begins to figure out his new life.  It will be a month before they start talking prosthetics, so he'll have that time to learn how to write with his left hand and do things one handed.  Knowing Reade, this will not hold him back!

Hilde, you are right - it's time to move on, it's over and done.  I hope he has a positive attitude in the near future.  I'm sure you, Ron and Kati will be there for him giving positive encouragement.  I guess you have to deal with your own feeling of sadness aside from his....I hope you the best coming to grips with the outcome.  Brad and I talked about you at work today - we both were surprised, but are sending prayers your way for sure.  Hey, on a funny note (cuz you need some comic relief)...I messed up my right hand and had it bandaged for a week or so.......you can tease Reade about learning to whip his A$$ with his left hand.....that is very difficult to do...haha...and a possible hazard depending on how ambidextrous he is!!! Surprised  Wishing you and your family the very best Hilde!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2011-11-21 7:17 PM

User image

Expert

All my love and best wishes to you and your family, Hilde-- I'm so sorry this happened, but I know Reade will pull through and will move on with success. He's lucky to have you as his mom and role model: if he's as much like you as you say, he'll be kicking all kinds of behind before you know it!

*sends HUGE hugs electronically*

2011-11-21 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
wsilverthorne - 2011-11-16 7:48 PM

joes - 2011-11-16 8:50 AM Hilde, I can't move up anymore...have to decide which exact weakness to work on. Too many of them! I think Wislon should do a 1/2 IM...especially with that shiny, fast new TT bike.

Joe, I'm not sure if you were kidding or not???  I am seriously thinking about it...I've gone as far identified my winter maintenance plan - and worked backwards 20 weeks to start the HIM plan to target my race the end of July........I must lose 30-40 more lbs to be successful and I must work on my biggest weakness and metal block which is the swim....I need to get in the pool asap if I ever want to swim 1.2 miles.  I've never ran more than 8 miles and my max bike is 52 miles so I have a long way to go....The swim flat out scares me even tho I have no fear of water and like to swim - hell, I even scuba dive.  I love the idea of the mental and physical challenge of the HIM.  To me it also insists that each sport is managed properly and nutrients are taken in to have a successful race - that excites me as to the planning and execution of a good solid plan.  Success to me is defined as doing the best I possible can given whatever circumstances are handed to me.....Finish is the metric I would look to meet - the rest is managing myself and pushing as hard as possible without hurting myself or dying on the course!!!!  Joe your story is an inspiration to me and your spirit and pride at the end of the race was spectacular!!!!  Obviously an HIM is NOT an IM, but for me it would be mount everest for sure!

I'm potentially on the HIM bandwagon-- it depends a lot on how my summer pans out (I'll either be in the UK or crazily busy elsewhere...it's all up in the air at the moment). But if that looks likely, then it'll be probably Steelhead in August. If not, there'll certainly be a couple of Olys in the works (maybe even London!). I have far too many weak spots to try concentrating on any, so my goal will simply to improve as much as I can and to get 'round each course intact.

I'm also idly contemplating a marathon in May-- Ottawa, Ont (my nation's capital, and lovely at that time of year!)-- especially if I can convince either or both of my sibs to try one of the shorter races there that weekend... we'll see!

2011-11-21 11:07 PM
in reply to: #3910835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hilde, I hope you're holding up. You are so strong, I know you'll pull the family through this. Just don't forget to take care of yourself along the way, OK? You all have to grieve for the things that will never be, but you will get through it. We all love and care about you.
2011-11-22 8:35 AM
in reply to: #3911042

User image

Expert
Temple, TX
Thank you all... I am back at school and just talked with my principal and we shed some tears together.  Her son is about Reade's age and ironically he was at the party that it happened at.  Small world.  I feel so bad because she just lost her husband to brain cancer a few months back, this seems a bit small in comparison.  Kylie texted me and said they had a steady stream of visitors till around 10:30 last night, the dr. has been in and it's still looking like he'll get out today.  He has to work out how to pay the $5000 insurance deductible.  His friends are planning some fund raisers, so hopefully that will help.  I'm still not handling this very well, but hopefully things will settle down this week. 
2011-11-22 8:38 AM
in reply to: #3911359

hildekq - 2011-11-22 8:35 AM Thank you all... I am back at school and just talked with my principal and we shed some tears together.  Her son is about Reade's age and ironically he was at the party that it happened at.  Small world.  I feel so bad because she just lost her husband to brain cancer a few months back, this seems a bit small in comparison.  Kylie texted me and said they had a steady stream of visitors till around 10:30 last night, the dr. has been in and it's still looking like he'll get out today.  He has to work out how to pay the $5000 insurance deductible.  His friends are planning some fund raisers, so hopefully that will help.  I'm still not handling this very well, but hopefully things will settle down this week. 

Hilde - I would love to donate to the fund raiser.  please let us know the details.  It would feel good to do something tangible to help you and your family out.

2011-11-22 7:27 PM
in reply to: #3911365

User image

Extreme Veteran
bunsy - 2011-11-22 7:38 AM

hildekq - 2011-11-22 8:35 AM Thank you all... I am back at school and just talked with my principal and we shed some tears together.  Her son is about Reade's age and ironically he was at the party that it happened at.  Small world.  I feel so bad because she just lost her husband to brain cancer a few months back, this seems a bit small in comparison.  Kylie texted me and said they had a steady stream of visitors till around 10:30 last night, the dr. has been in and it's still looking like he'll get out today.  He has to work out how to pay the $5000 insurance deductible.  His friends are planning some fund raisers, so hopefully that will help.  I'm still not handling this very well, but hopefully things will settle down this week. 

Hilde - I would love to donate to the fund raiser.  please let us know the details.  It would feel good to do something tangible to help you and your family out.

X 2. Let us know if they set up an account, or maybe give us an address. Oh, and forget what I've been saying about doing an Ironman in 2013... When I heard today that IMAZ 2012 had a few slots available, I said screw it, life's too short to put things off - I'm doin' it next year!! I cleared it with my hubby first, of course. The first thing he said was that he would support me all the way; the second was, "just don't get the tattoo!" Dangit!So it's official; I'm registered for IMAZ 2012, next November. I'm really excited, and ready to go full steam ahead with this bidness!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » HILDEKQ'S Magnificently Motivational Mentor Group - CLOSED!! Rss Feed  

of 70