BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-09-10 7:17 PM
in reply to: #956877

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ...
JeanetteJ. - 2007-09-09 11:25 AM

Thank You for your great advice.
I am going to the library tommorow to check out the tri training books and a running book. I was told I am running flat foot and it would be better to run on the ball to toe, what do you think of this?
Also I have heard of this new invention... It's a shoe!!!
It's called Newtons running shoe where it is designed for running on the ball of the foot and a lot less padding in the heel. What do you think of this concept?

How can I train to improve my running?

Well, I come from the old "put one foot in front of the other" school of running. Whether I have a natural gait or I'm just lucky, I cannot say, but I've never had to give my foot strikes much thought.

However, I have always believed in asking questions and trying new things. Do the research, meet with the professionals, and as long as you're not going to do any damage to your body, give it a try. But don't spend a lot of money on anything until you're sure it's the way to go. I have no idea as to what a Newton is, but I'd hate to buy a pair and then watch them gather dust in the back of the closet.

As for improvement, pick up an issue of Runner's World. I bet you'll find 3 or 4 ideas to incorporate into your runs that will help you. Who knows, you may even come across a running training plan that you'll like.

2007-09-10 7:22 PM
in reply to: #957090

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-09 5:35 PM

I might try to sign up for Steelhead 70.3, as it is in Michigan and I can just schlepp my bike there and not have to deal with air hassles. You jump off a pier into the water and people have good race reports about it, except for it being rather crowded. I'll be at the end of the group anyway where it will likely be much less crowded

I'm training now to do a half marathon October 28 rather than the full.

Both are good goals. I thought about Steelhead this year but I couldn't fit it into my calendar. It sounds like a great event, and it's a good race to do so you can: (1) decide if you want to race a longer distance, and (2) accomplish something incredible. Do you realize how many people wouldn't even try such a challenge?

Same with the 1/2 marathon. Do it, enjoy it, relish it, and take pride in completing it.
2007-09-10 10:51 PM
in reply to: #640246

Veteran
I am doing running 2 min and walking 1 min for the last tri and in training. I am hoping to increse 3 min run and 1 min walk.
I asked a few people of the Newtons and no one has heard of them before. I will wait a while and see.
2007-09-12 5:17 AM
in reply to: #959352

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
JeanetteJ. - 2007-09-10 11:51 PM

I am doing running 2 min and walking 1 min for the last tri and in training. I am hoping to increse 3 min run and 1 min walk.
I asked a few people of the Newtons and no one has heard of them before. I will wait a while and see.

Sounds good. I've read articles about people completing marathons on a 5-1 ratio, so the intervals definitely work and increase your endurance. Keep us posted as to how it's working for you!
2007-09-12 3:43 PM

Veteran
OH My God!!!!!!!

I left my computer on and a friend of mine saw the long time goal and as fate would have it My sister called and my friend picked up the phone and talked to her while I was in the shower.
My sister and I talked latter yesterday evening.

We are going to do the.......
Arizona rock and roll Half Marathon. 13 mile run!!!! It is in January or february of 2008.
Well at least I have a couple of months to train. Running is my weakest. I am nervous but my friend mentioned that at least I wont be as nervous running 6 miles for next years triathalon because I will have allready ran double that for the half Marathon. Besides I can rest near a good band and listen to music for a minute, If their really good. Every mile there will be a different band playing!!!! Wow.
2007-09-12 3:57 PM

User image

Expert
oohh, cool, cool, cool, cool, cool!!!! Good for you , Jeanette!! Good for you!! Fate has just dealt you a wonderful new curve! Be careful what you ask for.......

2007-09-13 4:50 AM
in reply to: #962242

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
JeanetteJ. - 2007-09-12 4:43 PM

OH My God!!!!!!!

I left my computer on and a friend of mine saw the long time goal and as fate would have it My sister called and my friend picked up the phone and talked to her while I was in the shower.
My sister and I talked latter yesterday evening.

We are going to do the.......
Arizona rock and roll Half Marathon. 13 mile run!!!! It is in January or february of 2008.
Well at least I have a couple of months to train. Running is my weakest. I am nervous but my friend mentioned that at least I wont be as nervous running 6 miles for next years triathalon because I will have allready ran double that for the half Marathon. Besides I can rest near a good band and listen to music for a minute, If their really good. Every mile there will be a different band playing!!!! Wow.

If this is the one I'm thinking of, it's a nationally ranked race and is famous for being a great time. I am SO jealous of you!

Look for a free training plan -- the race might even have one on its website, but if not, see if you can get one from runnersworld.com. And just enjoy the task before you. Remember, the goal is to finish, not win. Train smart, listen to your body, and enjoy racking up the miles!
2007-09-19 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Just wanted to say that I'm still around. I fell off the fitness bandwagon completely (started taking 5 graduate credits plus I'm getting ready to move at the end of the month). So, I have my last race, a du, on Sunday. It's going to be painful. Between my fitness level and the day after Yom Kippur, I'm screwed :-P

My mantra is going to be DFL > DNF > DNS. I have to keep repeating this because I really want to DNS :-(
2007-09-19 3:20 PM

User image

Expert
yeah Casey! Just go out there and do it and enjoy the process. Very few people will even attempt a duathlon any time in their life! So hold your head up and show em that super biker chick stuff you've got! Remember the attitude you had in the group pics at the MS ride? That picture showed a very determined lady!

I"m still alive, too. Haven't been swimming in ages, so that is on the agenda for tomorrow. Have to make use of that Y membership! Let's hope I don't drown--it's been that long! I'm running more in prep for the half mary the end of October and wondering why on earth I thought something that late in the season would be fun. I might be running in snow! Will have to look for a fashionable ski mask or something Do they make snow running shoes? Or maybe you just wear ski's?? The only really good news to report is that my bike is starting to get fast all of the sudden. I'm doing 19mph for an hour at a time! A month ago I was a 15 mph gal and could sustain 19 for like 4 minutes. Not sure what changed. Maybe all those miles finally paid off.....gives me hope that a miracle may happen on the run if I just keep at it!

And I met a NICE ironman dude. He's way up in Michigan, more than 6 hours away, and he's quite serious about this--not a fling sort of fellow. He's retired military even though he's exactly my age and has a 12 year old daughter. And he's tall--6'3". Which is nice. I'm probably jinxing it by writing this, but it is again something that gives me hope!
2007-09-23 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
Hey everyone. Casey did her Ryka Duathlon today! Congrats, Casey!!!

My Noah did his second du today, too!! And he came in third!! His race report is as follows: "I could have got second if I had kept my helmet on. I lost a lot of time with that." So there you have it, kids. In a duathlon situation, just keep your darn helmet on for the run!!

(medal.bmp)

Attachments
----------------
medal.bmp (95KB - 32 downloads)
2007-09-23 10:08 PM
in reply to: #976074

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
Congrats to Noah :-)

Yup, I did the Ryka IronGirl Du today. Really difficult bike portion (2 laps of an 11mi course). I really really need to get a different bike seat, especially as I think about longer rides and tri's :-) Oh, and a word from the wise....racing after fasting does not make for an easier race. Yesterday was Yom Kippur....I think the only thing that saved me was eating a decent meal Friday afternoon and breaking the fast with salmon pasta on Saturday night!

2007-09-24 5:11 AM
in reply to: #976110

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Salmon pasta...yum.

Good job to everyone. Am I the only one shocked that it's the end of summer?
2007-09-24 5:20 AM
in reply to: #976230

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
I'm still wondering where August went!
2007-09-24 6:46 AM

User image

Expert
Just a friendly reminder to everyone, especially the women, to take your iron and eat your iron rich foods. I lost all my steam on the run just lately. Like I couldn't get my air, my sister gave me a massage and she wasn't mean but my legs bruised from it, I was getting headaches a lot again, and there was just no juice for my runs. All my steam was gone and my legs hurt after just a couple miles. One of the women I follow posted about anemia and described my symptoms--Bingo! I've always had trouble with anemia and I was completely slacking on my vitamins and (ugh!) liver eating. Back to it, Phoenix!

Mark--did you do your tri yet? The one you did for your first tri and will do again now that you are a big irondude

What are the rest of you superpeople up to???? I miss hearing about your adventures!
2007-09-24 4:40 PM

Veteran
Hi Everyone!

This weekend I went sailing, does that count for crosstraining? Then on Sunday I went to a tail gating Party in the evening to watch the bears on a tv hooked up to a car battery, really cool, the guy even had a sattelite dish in the front of his van. Bears lost but I still had a good time.
Saturday early morning I ran 7 miles. I did great heading out but on the return I was exhausted.
I will try eating more iron before my long runs and see if that helps. Thank You.
2007-09-24 4:43 PM

Veteran
Ok-
Math time
1 length equals 19 meters.
2 lengths equals 1 lap
How many laps are in a half mile in a 19 meter pool?

2007-09-25 5:31 AM
in reply to: #977380

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
JeanetteJ. - 2007-09-24 5:43 PM

Ok-
Math time
1 length equals 19 meters.
2 lengths equals 1 lap
How many laps are in a half mile in a 19 meter pool?

Oh, my head hurts just thinking about it.

1650 meters = 1 mile.
2007-09-25 9:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Hi guy

Currently in India so have to be quic (infrastructure not the big thing here!).

Did the race and knocked 16mins off last year putting in a 1:13:19 coming 81/230 overall and 31/83 in my age group. Pretty pleased.

I hope you are all doing well and enjoying the last few days of the summer (mind you autumn is pretty splendid).

Jeanette, you will have to do 42 and a third laps to hit half a mile so try to set off in the right place so you don't finish half way across the deep end!
2007-09-25 12:22 PM

Veteran
Thank You Prof And Mark!!!!!!

Now I will have a goal to reach and not just swim for a specific amount of time.
Thank You.

Mark- You are so lucky to travel for work. Take 1 or 2 days for yourself and sight see, India's perfumes are heavenly and the glass bottles are really neat. I have never been there before but someday I hope to visit.
2007-09-25 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
Ahem.....math girl here.....1650m = one mile so that is 42 laps. Half of that is 21 laps or 42 lengths for a half mile.

But congrats Mark on your tri! Bet you feel rather vindicated for all the work you put in! That's what I love about triathlon--you get out exactly what you put in. And that teaches me about life. You have to plunge in and set your goals, have faith that through hard work and perserverence (and a little help from your friends) you will accomplish those goals. Life, and triathlon, sometimes throw you little unexpected curves, but that is what makes it interesting and more of a challenge. And if you can bounce with the tri bumps, the life bumps are no sweat!

Happy bouncing everyone!!
2007-09-25 12:53 PM
in reply to: #978440

User image

phoenixrising404 - 2007-09-25 10:37 AM

Ahem.....math girl here.....1650m = one mile so that is 42 laps. Half of that is 21 laps or 42 lengths for a half mile.

But congrats Mark on your tri! Bet you feel rather vindicated for all the work you put in! That's what I love about triathlon--you get out exactly what you put in. And that teaches me about life. You have to plunge in and set your goals, have faith that through hard work and perserverence (and a little help from your friends) you will accomplish those goals. Life, and triathlon, sometimes throw you little unexpected curves, but that is what makes it interesting and more of a challenge. And if you can bounce with the tri bumps, the life bumps are no sweat!

Happy bouncing everyone!!

Well said Pene, well said.
My most recent bump was a case of strep throat that made me sicker than I have been since high school and caused me to miss almost a week of training. I decided to let go of the fact I missed a key speedwork out for my half training. I am back on the plan though and did 10 miles yesterday. I am not quite sure how my body is going to make it to 13miles but I am just planning on going slow. And walking every now and then. I still have 4 weeks to contemplate this though.
glad to hear back from everyone again; I know tri season is over but I think it would be nice to check in every now and then and see what people are doing in the off season. I for one needs some inspiration around January to get back in the game.

2007-09-25 1:35 PM
in reply to: #978470

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
It is good to see this forum a little more active :-) I'm going to aim for a 5 or 10k for every month of the winter to keep me going on my training for Grandma's Marathon in June of 08 :-) (that reminds me, I need to see how to sign up for it!).

I'll also be volunteering at indoor triathlons
2007-09-25 1:55 PM

User image

Expert
Sorry to hear about the strep, Liz. I was once very sick with that too--had no idea one could get diarrhea and vomiting with it, but I did! Don't worry about the lost week--you'll be stronger than ever with an extra rest week (though there are better ways to get one!)

Casey--you are ambitious to be doing outside runs all winter! I may take up some cross country skiing. Not sure how this will go, but it sounds more fun than running in boots through snow drifts and sloshy snow. I think you can sign up for Grandma's in January. Seems like a long time to wait to see if you can get in. I like to plan a bit ahead of time for such things as it takes me awhile to be trained for them!! I'd like to do Grandma's too. Barring anymore hamstring or other tears, that is. ....

Jeanette--how do you rate with sailing and tailgate parties??? Geesh. Sounds fun
2007-09-25 2:02 PM
in reply to: #978626

User image

Veteran
Greensboro, NC
lol....I'm doing them to break up the monotony of the treadmill or indoor track at the JCC. 19 laps equals 1 mile on the track, if my memory serves me....that would be awfully boring! Too bad there isn't something like spinning for running!

Strep sucks....I hope you're feeling better!
2007-09-25 4:19 PM

Veteran
Yeah-
3 D glasses with ear buds hooked up to a computer while your on a treadmill or indoor track to simulate running outside.. near the ocean, on a mountain trail, or in some exotic city. The treadmill adjusts its own incline and all for advanced workout or you adjust it to your level.

Lets do the same thing for cycling too... racing against Lance Armstrong in the countryside of France!!!!!!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72