BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernie's Group - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2009-03-06 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1999236

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Ernie's Group - Closed
Feb went ok for me. I was able to finish the mini sprint without any difficulty and no major injuries.

Training consistency continues to be my biggest weakness.

2009-03-07 1:48 AM

Regular
Plano, Tx
ejc999 - 2009-03-05 9:07 AM

I forgot to ask, how did everyone's Feb go?  What did you learn?  Are you going to change your training? 

Feb was ok for me.  I hit my swimming mark and got in more road time on the bike than expected.  It was my lowest run volume in about a year.  I tried to add in Crossfit training and it killed my volume.  It's ok though as off season is for experimenting.

Ernie

Have you looked at crossfitendurance.com ? Read their philosophy as the site is for triathletes. I learned I need to up my overall volume and eat better. I want to become faster  overnight but lately have realized it took me 4 years to get slow and just back in Jan of 08 I was running 8 min miles so I will get back there I just need to be consistent. So my main goal is to work my plan, take it slow on my runs, and focus on maintaining a mostly clean diet and the weight loss (I am averaging 1.5-2lbs per week) will take care of my times.

2009-03-07 6:47 AM
in reply to: #1872477

User image

Maine
I knocked off two of my short-term goals in Feb. Making no real progress on the weight loss goal though. I think my running is improving. I did a comfortable 9.5 last weekend, which I could not have done 2 months ago. Would like to be doing a little more distance on a weekly basis, so looking forward to an improvement in the weather. I have hit a plateau in swimming; time for another lesson.
2009-03-12 8:39 PM

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

Feb went well for me.  I have slowly started to increase my training minutes every week.  Current goal is around 350 per week.  I plan on uping this steadily until I hit around 500-600 per week.  I keep thinking slowly build the cake before putting on the frosting.  This is your fault Ernie 

I have learned that swimming is by far going to be the most boring/tedious part of training.  I try to keep my mind occupied by seeing how many laps it takes me to pass the 70 year old, with snorkel and fins, in the lane next to me.  Anyone else every smell old spice and moth balls at the pool before?  Anyway it is also nice to share the pool with the water aerobics group as they do provide some music and interesting underwater scenes.   Anyone ever bring a fish to the pool just to make life exciting? 

I now have a good problem to figure out.  I am taking a family vacation to the triathlon meca of the U.S....San Diego.  This will be in the heart of my training for my HIM and I have convinced my wife that I will of course need to rent a bike for a week, work in OWS when the family hits the beach and run up and down the coast for training.   I am very fortunate in that my wife has been very supportive of my training and insanity with tris lately.

I am actually really excited.  I was stationed in San Dog, 94-98, at Miramar before the Navy turned the base over to the Marines.  I used to participate is some great group rides, and maybe I can find a group ride while I am out there.  Of course PCH is always great for training, a never ending stream of cyclists.  But after watching the Tour de California, Palomar mountain seems like it would be a very serious challenge, and one of those climbs where you can say I actually did that.  It might take 3 hours but who cares.

I hope everyone else is having a good time with there training.  I am jealous of the Phil and Grizzly as they got to compete in a tri already.     

2009-03-13 12:58 PM
in reply to: #2014832

Regular
Plano, Tx
GRB1 - 2009-03-12 6:39 PM

Feb went well for me.  I have slowly started to increase my training minutes every week.  Current goal is around 350 per week.  I plan on uping this steadily until I hit around 500-600 per week.  I keep thinking slowly build the cake before putting on the frosting.  This is your fault Ernie 

I have learned that swimming is by far going to be the most boring/tedious part of training.  I try to keep my mind occupied by seeing how many laps it takes me to pass the 70 year old, with snorkel and fins, in the lane next to me.  Anyone else every smell old spice and moth balls at the pool before?  Anyway it is also nice to share the pool with the water aerobics group as they do provide some music and interesting underwater scenes.   Anyone ever bring a fish to the pool just to make life exciting? 

I now have a good problem to figure out.  I am taking a family vacation to the triathlon meca of the U.S....San Diego.  This will be in the heart of my training for my HIM and I have convinced my wife that I will of course need to rent a bike for a week, work in OWS when the family hits the beach and run up and down the coast for training.   I am very fortunate in that my wife has been very supportive of my training and insanity with tris lately.

I am actually really excited.  I was stationed in San Dog, 94-98, at Miramar before the Navy turned the base over to the Marines.  I used to participate is some great group rides, and maybe I can find a group ride while I am out there.  Of course PCH is always great for training, a never ending stream of cyclists.  But after watching the Tour de California, Palomar mountain seems like it would be a very serious challenge, and one of those climbs where you can say I actually did that.  It might take 3 hours but who cares.

I hope everyone else is having a good time with there training.  I am jealous of the Phil and Grizzly as they got to compete in a tri already.     

Don't be jealous :-D It wasn't a real tri because it was mainly indoors on bikes. On another note check this out. http://www.superfrogtriathlon.com/

On another note. I too am training for base, as much as I want my runs down in the 6:30 min miles I realize that will take probably until next summer with 8 min miles being most likely by the end of this summer. I have 13 more weeks of base building then I switch over to my navy seal fitness program.

2009-03-14 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2016107

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI
philz1982 - 2009-03-13 12:58 PM
GRB1 - 2009-03-12 6:39 PM

Don't be jealous :-D It wasn't a real tri because it was mainly indoors on bikes. On another note check this out. http://www.superfrogtriathlon.com/

On another note. I too am training for base, as much as I want my runs down in the 6:30 min miles I realize that will take probably until next summer with 8 min miles being most likely by the end of this summer. I have 13 more weeks of base building then I switch over to my navy seal fitness program.

The Superfrog looks like a great time.  I would love to compete in that some day, maybe next year. 

Good luck with the continued training.  About the only time I approach a 6 minute mile is during the semi-annual PFA/PFT.  At that speed I am only good for about 1.5 miles, then I am done.

2009-03-15 8:38 AM
in reply to: #2014832

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
GRB1 - 2009-03-12 9:39 PM

Check out some of the tri/bike store websites.  They usually sponsor rides.  I love San Diego.  Nothing like a run along the strand at Mission Beach.  Just make sure you watch where you are running. 

Ernie

2009-03-15 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Interesting opportunity if you have the money:

http://www.cervelo.com/content.aspx?t=TestTeam&i=TestTeamTravel

Ernie

2009-03-18 10:31 AM

Regular
Plano, Tx
I will be taking this whole week off. Work and life has been funky, my daughter is really sick my wife and I aren't sleeping and it's just a good time to take a break.
2009-03-18 3:14 PM
in reply to: #2025281

User image

Expert
Sun Prairie, WI

philz1982 - 2009-03-18 10:31 AM I will be taking this whole week off. Work and life has been funky, my daughter is really sick my wife and I aren't sleeping and it's just a good time to take a break.

Phil, sounds like you are a little frustrated.  I hear you, my whole family was sick for the past 3 weeks and I was up with kids.  Not fun and it sure does drain the battery.  Not sure how I avoided getting sick.  I would imagine after a couple of nights, with some good rest, you will be itching to get a workout in.  I hope you get some rest and your daughter is feeling better soon. 

2009-03-18 3:17 PM
in reply to: #2026038

Regular
Plano, Tx

Thanks,

Sucks when the kids are sick. I am going to try to get a run in tonight but I am not sure if I will. I just have been so darn tired lately.

2009-03-29 10:00 PM

Regular
Plano, Tx
Well I am back on, I had a bunch of 12 hour days the past 2 weeks but I am getting the schedule worked out tonight for a sprint Tri on May 30th. Look forward to hearing more from you guys!
2009-03-30 8:08 PM
in reply to: #2047804

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

philz1982 - 2009-03-29 11:00 PM Well I am back on, I had a bunch of 12 hour days the past 2 weeks but I am getting the schedule worked out tonight for a sprint Tri on May 30th. Look forward to hearing more from you guys!

Good to see you back posting.

Ernie

2009-04-19 8:21 PM

User image

Seattle
Race report is up. I don't know how, but I finished.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernie's Group - Closed Rss Feed  

of 7