Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-01-13 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1905504

User image

Subject: RE: Amschrod's Group - FULL
amschrod - 2009-01-13 3:31 PM
jpjewels - 2009-01-13 12:29 PM

For all the folks that are hungry after swimming - have you tried taking on a little fuel every now and then while swimming. I trained for a specific long distance sponsored swim a few years ago and I found it really helped if I had a sports drink at the pool side and I would sip every 20 or 30 mins. I always take something with me nowadays and drink before during and straight after.

That's an interesting idea that I never really thought about. There is an excellent triathlete (Kona qualifier) who I sometimes see in my pool and I'm pretty sure I have seen her with a bottle with some colored liquid in it although I don't know if it was gatorade or something like Nuun (0 calorie electolyte drink). I do most  of my training on an empty stomach, and I don't really get hungry afterwards  so I have no personal experience to go by. Nutrition can vary greatly from person to person, so it can't hurt to try different things to see what works for an individual. That is as long as you try it in training and don't try something new on race day!

Anthony

I usually put GU20 in my bottle when I go swimming, not a fan of Gatorade, and I would probably grab a banana on the way to the pool, especially if I swim first thing in the morning.

J

Edited by jpjewels 2009-01-13 5:55 PM

2009-01-14 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1856717

User image

Big YES as I finally made it into the pool before work this morning! Air temp was about 34F but the water was lovely and warm, plenty of steam

J

2009-01-14 12:11 PM
in reply to: #1906982

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-14 11:46 AM

Big YES as I finally made it into the pool before work this morning! Air temp was about 34F but the water was lovely and warm, plenty of steam

J

Glad to see you got in the pool. You know, a chilly day and a warm pool with the steam coming off sounds great. I think I would really enjoy a swim like that.

Anthony

2009-01-14 12:21 PM

User image

Yeah and I had the pool to myself

J

2009-01-14 7:10 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

I had a good pool day too, but mine is inside. plenty steamy though since the air in the gym was pretty cold, at least the water was warmer than monday!

My new bike trainer arrived but I dont know when I will have time to use it! I have a hectic rest of the week, then out of town over the weekend.  Might be really tough to squeeze in my 8 mile run!  BUT on the good side, I just found out that there is an extra ticket to the Eagles concert on fri with my name on it!!!!  Very excited- totally off topic but I cant wait!

Paula

2009-01-14 9:36 PM
in reply to: #1908381

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-14 8:10 PM

I had a good pool day too, but mine is inside. plenty steamy though since the air in the gym was pretty cold, at least the water was warmer than monday!

Well done. Your swimming is looking very good.

My new bike trainer arrived but I dont know when I will have time to use it! I have a hectic rest of the week, then out of town over the weekend.  Might be really tough to squeeze in my 8 mile run!  BUT on the good side, I just found out that there is an extra ticket to the Eagles concert on fri with my name on it!!!!  Very excited- totally off topic but I cant wait!

It's good to hear off topic stuff, especially when it's a big thing like seeing the Eagles. Should be a great show.

Anthony

2009-01-14 9:54 PM

User image

Expert

It looks like this winter is going to be a tough one. To be honest, I have been putting off getting on the trainer because I figured the weather has got to get better soon so I would get a chance to ride outside. I have a run scheduled for tomorrow about 5:30 AM and it's supposed to be about 10 degrees with a chance of snow. We're supposed to get into single digits and maybe below zero over the weekend. OK for running, but I'm going to have get on the trainer because I just have to get some riding in. It's even colder in upstate NY where Kelly is, so I'm doing alright. Oh well, spring will get here eventually Smile

Anthony

2009-01-15 9:18 AM

User image

Expert

I got my run in this morning. 9 degrees and light snow. It was supposed to be a tempo run including 5 miles @ 8:30/mile, but the roads were a little slippery, so it was more like 10 minutes per mile. My heart rate was pretty close to where it was this past weekend for my 8:30 miles, so maybe between the cold and the lack of traction my effort was pretty close to where it should have been? At least that's what I told myself

It was actually a very nice run. Just me and a couple of snow plows. I was plenty warm and possibly even a little overdressed. At one point the moon started to poke out and the monnlight  was really beautiful on the new snow.

Anthony 

2009-01-15 11:21 AM
in reply to: #1908684

User image

amschrod - 2009-01-14 7:54 PM

It looks like this winter is going to be a tough one. To be honest, I have been putting off getting on the trainer because I figured the weather has got to get better soon so I would get a chance to ride outside. I have a run scheduled for tomorrow about 5:30 AM and it's supposed to be about 10 degrees with a chance of snow. We're supposed to get into single digits and maybe below zero over the weekend. OK for running, but I'm going to have get on the trainer because I just have to get some riding in. It's even colder in upstate NY where Kelly is, so I'm doing alright. Oh well, spring will get here eventually Smile

Anthony

Oh I really miss the winter - here we have a forecast of six straight days of 64F and sunshine. Now if only my toe will hold up to a bit of running . . . 

2009-01-15 7:35 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Hey, guys! 

Anthony, I can't believe you run in 9 degrees and snow!!  I'm just a wimp.  I did order som Yaktrax the other day, so I won't have any excuses, but the highs are supposed to be in the low single digits up here through Sunday.  Brrrrr!!!!  I better never hear any complaining from you warm-climate residents!!

Here's the big news, though.....she's here.  Meet Buttercup (and the one below is my husband's new bike...he doesn't believe in naming inanimate objects!) Hopefully, I will order a trainer tonight, and be on her by next week!

(Kel's Bike 002.JPG)

(Buttercup 008.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Kel's Bike 002.JPG (70KB - 25 downloads)
Buttercup 008.JPG (70KB - 20 downloads)
2009-01-16 5:15 AM

User image

Wilmington NC

Sweet ride Kelly!!!!  I just looks fast!

It may be single digits for you guys but the 19 degree with wind chill is REALLY cold for us!!

Have a great weekend everyone

Paula

2009-01-16 9:46 AM
in reply to: #1910919

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-15 8:35 PM

Hey, guys! 

Here's the big news, though.....she's here.  Meet Buttercup (and the one below is my husband's new bike...he doesn't believe in naming inanimate objects!) Hopefully, I will order a trainer tonight, and be on her by next week!

Those are beautiful bikes!!! Congratulations!!!I think it's great that you have matching P2SL's. Seeing them has me impatient for the warmer weather so we can all get out and get some long rides in. So now that you have a yellow bike are you going to have to get tri clothes and accessories that match?

2009-01-16 10:33 AM

User image

That looks like one sweet ride, congrats

J

2009-01-16 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1910919

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-15 8:35 PM

Hey, guys! 

Anthony, I can't believe you run in 9 degrees and snow!!

Well it was 9 below this morning, so 9 seems pretty warm now. My plan only had me do 2 miles today so I barely had time to feel cold.

I'm just a wimp.

No you absolutely are not. YOU ARE AN ATHLETE! (I love that quote on your training log)

I did order som Yaktrax the other day, so I won't have any excuses, but the highs are supposed to be in the low single digits up here through Sunday.  Brrrrr!!!!  I better never hear any complaining from you warm-climate residents!!

I have been putting off getting Yaktrax, but think I will see if our local Dick's Sporting Goods has some. I might need them over the weekend.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2009-01-16 12:48 PM
2009-01-16 2:19 PM

User image

I had to look up what yaktrax are!

It is currently 57F here and sunny, if only I could run on my purple toe!

I will try to get to the pool again this weekend though

J

2009-01-16 2:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

My Yaktrax just came today, and my friend lent me her trainer for a couple of weeks, so here is the plan...

Trainer ride on Buttercup this evening, at least an hour.

Run outside tomorrow with my Yaktrax.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I would really like to get in at least an hour.

I have a lot of rehearsals this weekend for an upcoming concert, so I'm not sure how much training I will be able to squeeze in.  Have a great weekend.

2009-01-16 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1912797

User image

Yeah have a great weekend everyone

Here is my plan for Saturday at least - get up before the family for an hour on the trainer and then get the kids into there club at the gym for 45 minutes in the pool mid morning. Kind of reverse way for a brick but I will get about 4 hours break between to the two

J

2009-01-17 11:22 PM

User image

Weekend plan completely shot down - got up too late to get in a morning workout and then did the Dad thing all afternoon

Ran in the evening

2009-01-18 1:59 PM
in reply to: #1912797

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-16 3:40 PM

My Yaktrax just came today, and my friend lent me her trainer for a couple of weeks, so here is the plan...

Trainer ride on Buttercup this evening, at least an hour.

WOO-HOO! first Buttercup ride! New bikes are so much fun!

Run outside tomorrow with my Yaktrax.  I'll let you know how it goes.  I would really like to get in at least an hour.

I will be interested in how you like the Yaktrax. I never got around to getting any, and I felt like I could have used them for my run this morning.

I have a lot of rehearsals this weekend for an upcoming concert, so I'm not sure how much training I will be able to squeeze in.  Have a great weekend.

Only so much time in the day, so you have to be flexible.

Anthony

2009-01-18 2:03 PM
in reply to: #1914544

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-18 12:22 AM

Weekend plan completely shot down - got up too late to get in a morning workout and then did the Dad thing all afternoon

Sometimes you just need a little extra sleep, so, again, you have to be able to be flexible.

Ran in the evening

I am glad to see you were able to run with your toe. I am wondering how it feels now on the day after. Hope it feels good and you are well on your way to recovery.

Anthony

2009-01-18 2:11 PM

User image

Expert

I was a bit of a lazy bum on Saturday and didn't do anything. This morning was my long run for the week, so 10 miles at an easy pace. It snowed 3 or 4 inches overnight, and it was still snowing lightly during my run, so that slowed me down a little. There was no wind, and hardly any traffic, so it was really quiet and peaceful and I really enjoyed my run. I love to train because it keeps me in pretty good shape and also gets me ready to race, but the mental aspect is very important as well. It's time just for me and today's weather really helped me to get into my own little world.

Anthony

2009-01-18 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Well, I got over an hour (in 2 sessions) on Buttercup yesterday.  I'm going to have to build up to a longer time while I get used to the new position.  This morning I ran 4.5  miles in my Yaktrax.  While not the amazing miracle I hoped them to be, they definitely helped.  I was still slipping a little in the more slushy snow, but I definitely felt more confident with them on than not.  I think they will take a little getting used to. (It also made me think about how great the warm weather will be this summer. I"m going to try to remember this morning on the hottest days!)

I also started the 100 pushups challenge yesterday, and I am so sore!!  My starting number was 12, so I will keep you posted as I move up!

Have a great week everyone!

2009-01-19 7:17 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Whew, what a crazy weekend.  It's good to be home again, but I wish all the household chores could get done on their own.  My poor hubby is on his 13th hour of work today, for the 8th day in a row!!  He should have enough overtime to get himself a new bike!

I missed my long run this weekend which means the 10 miler scheduled for this weekend is even more important.  Unfortunately I will be in Boston where it's arctic!  Guess I will just dress warm and remember why I moved south.  I hope to get some time on the trainer this week before I go.  Got a good swim session in this am- it feels good to be back on track.  We are expecting a "wintery mix" of precip. tomorrow, down here that means EVERYTHING closes!  I still have a track workout to do, no matter what!

Hope all is well with everyone-

Paula

2009-01-19 7:42 PM
in reply to: #1915549

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-18 10:27 PM

Well, I got over an hour (in 2 sessions) on Buttercup yesterday.  I'm going to have to build up to a longer time while I get used to the new position.

The hardest part for me getting used to a tri bike was with my neck. My neck is not flexible and holding my head up was pretty hard, and still is a little uncomfortable for me. Like everything with cycling, time in the saddle works wonders. For example, remember how your backside felt when you first started riding? But then you get some good mileage in and things improve.

This morning I ran 4.5  miles in my Yaktrax.  While not the amazing miracle I hoped them to be, they definitely helped.  I was still slipping a little in the more slushy snow, but I definitely felt more confident with them on than not.  I think they will take a little getting used to.

A little less slipping would be good. On my run on Sunday I felt like I was slipping a little with almost every step, and this morning my legs were a little more sore than usual after a long run.

(It also made me think about how great the warm weather will be this summer. I"m going to try to remember this morning on the hottest days!)

mmmmmmmm, warm weather. Although we're having a heat wave here. I think it went above freezing for a couple of minutes this afternoon

I also started the 100 pushups challenge yesterday, and I am so sore!!  My starting number was 12, so I will keep you posted as I move up!

Sounds good. Good luck! I should try that.

Anthony

2009-01-19 7:53 PM
in reply to: #1917145

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-19 8:17 PM

Whew, what a crazy weekend.  It's good to be home again, but I wish all the household chores could get done on their own.

Did you have fun? How was the concert?

Don't you have some sort of elf or fairy that does the chores for you? I know I just have to put my clothes in the hamper, and the laundry fairy washes them and puts them away for me Well, except for my athletic clothes; I don't trust her to do those the right way so I do them myself.

My poor hubby is on his 13th hour of work today, for the 8th day in a row!!  He should have enough overtime to get himself a new bike!

Wow, that's a lot of work!

I missed my long run this weekend which means the 10 miler scheduled for this weekend is even more important.  Unfortunately I will be in Boston where it's arctic!  Guess I will just dress warm and remember why I moved south.  I hope to get some time on the trainer this week before I go.  Got a good swim session in this am- it feels good to be back on track.  We are expecting a "wintery mix" of precip. tomorrow, down here that means EVERYTHING closes!  I still have a track workout to do, no matter what!

Training in the bad weather will make you tougher physically and mentally. Have you spent much time in Boston, and do you have places to run there? I went to college near Boston, and I remember one time renting roller skates and roller skating along the Charles River and around Back Bay and we had a grand old time. At least as far as I remember because that was back in the 70's

Anthony
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22