of 9

2009-02-05 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1946779

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: cayrip's group - FULL
cayrip - 2009-02-05 10:08 AM

Are you riding with a group on your 50? A charity ride?

Not a charity ride, but several people from the Georgia group here on BT. It's at a place I've never been before so I'm excited to try something new. I like a change in scenery - often!

2009-02-05 12:41 PM
in reply to: #1946228

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO
What's everyone else doing this weekend?

Skiing and wishing I was on a 50 mile bike ride......

Actually, I love skiing with my kids:

(SkiFamily2.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
SkiFamily2.JPG (32KB - 22 downloads)
2009-02-05 3:15 PM
in reply to: #1861368

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Great picture! I wish I was skiing instead of biking. Actually, I wish I could do both...I have not been on skis in years.
2009-02-05 7:35 PM

User image

I'm racing in Idaho this weekend, its freaking cold here, about 30 today.  I don't know how you people who dont live in CA train during the winter.
2009-02-06 11:14 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
27 degrees this morning - great running weather. I much prefer the cold than warm temps.

What race are you doing?
2009-02-07 8:26 AM

User image

I'm doing an exhibition motorcycle race in Mccall.  I’m riding a motorcycle that has been turned into a snowmobile. 

Check it out at: http://www.2moto.com/Ground_Zero/ 

2009-02-07 8:40 AM
in reply to: #1950314

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
AlexanderSmith - 2009-02-07 9:26 AM

I'm doing an exhibition motorcycle race in Mccall.  I’m riding a motorcycle that has been turned into a snowmobile. 

Check it out at: http://www.2moto.com/Ground_Zero/ 

That looks crazy dangerous!!! Probably a lot of fun for you though huh? Do good!
2009-02-07 5:37 PM

User image

Regular
Alright how bout some training talk!  I found some time between my research and the weather  here in TX is starting become favorable finally (I know some of you who train in the great white north think I'm a wuss, but I'm not a fan of training in the cold.)  75 degrees today so I took a nice 22 mile ride on the new bike, my longest thus far.  Nice ride some rolling hills, a really strong head wind for part of it bogged me down but I finished.  Hopefully the weather holds like this longer, although I think they are projecting rain most of next week which means not only can I not ride but I will have to be working long nights! (the life of a biology grad student)
2009-02-07 5:50 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
75 degrees! That's hot! Great job on the bike ride though.

It was in the 50's today when I headed out for my long run. Wanted to do 10 to 12 miles, made it 11.5. My stomach started talking to me at about 8.5 miles. It was not happy with all the sloshing going on, I think I drank too much. Up until that point it was a great run. And perfect weather.

Tomorrow I have a 50 mile bike ride planned. Can't wait!!
2009-02-09 5:04 AM

User image

Regular
I'm going to be registering for the Lonestar 1/4 IM today (half to wait and make sure the pay check comes in).  This will be my first event ever and they are predicting low 70's water temps.  I assume I should get a wet suit, but what kind?  Sleeves or sleeve less? Do I wear tri shorts underneath the wet suit or will I be able to change into them? Maybe swim in the tri shorts with a singlet?  Then will I still be comfortable running in the tri shorts? So many questions and the race is still over a month away! HELP!
2009-02-09 9:58 AM
in reply to: #1951983

User image

Expert
Check out this BT article on wetsuits. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/gear.htm

I don't own one but I have learned lessons from wearing them. They are extremely bouyant and so I have always felt comfortable in one but they have impacted my racing.

1) Always swim in you wetsuit before you race. I found that the presuure on your chest is something that you have to get used to. I had to swim breast stroke for 1.2 miles since I couldn't seem to force my face in the water. This made for a SLOW swim.
2) scuba wetsuits are lousy for triathlons. They fill up with water and you can barely get you arm out in front of you. They are bouyant and warm though but the run to T1 is tough and heavy!
3) FIT is important. A wetsuit that is too big will be REALLY big in the water and trap cold water against your body--peeing helps but it is hard to stay warm.

2009-02-09 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
tbcotten - 2009-02-09 4:04 AM

I'm going to be registering for the Lonestar 1/4 IM today (half to wait and make sure the pay check comes in).  This will be my first event ever and they are predicting low 70's water temps.  I assume I should get a wet suit, but what kind?  Sleeves or sleeve less? Do I wear tri shorts underneath the wet suit or will I be able to change into them? Maybe swim in the tri shorts with a singlet?  Then will I still be comfortable running in the tri shorts? So many questions and the race is still over a month away! HELP!

I have become so comfortable running in tri shorts that I do most of my runs in them. They prevent chaffing whcih is nice out here in dry Colorado since sweat is gone as fast you you can sweat it out.

I wear my full tri suit under the wetsuit and have not had any chaffing problems from swimming.
2009-02-09 12:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Golden, CO

I assume I should get a wet suit, but what kind?  Sleeves or sleeve less?
I am fine at 70 degrees at sleeveless and sleeveless are cheaper,
Have you thought about rent to own?
Great way to make sure you invest in the right size.
I rented a couple of years ago, if fit great and a few months later a really really nice one came up for sale on Slowtwitch classified in the same size and maker for $90.

Do I wear tri shorts underneath the wet suit
Yes, or thin bike shorts (I wear a cheap pair of PI shorts that have a very thin pad and I can run in them with no problems

or will I be able to change into them?
No

Maybe swim in the tri shorts with a singlet?
Great idea, unless its cold out, the soaked jeresy will feel good as you bike and probably dry off pretty quick anyhow.

Then will I still be comfortable running in the tri shorts?
Make sure you figure that out before the race, chafing during a race would not be fun.

So many questions and the race is still over a month away! HELP!
Very normal questions, and good ones to figure out before the race.

2009-02-10 2:10 PM

User image

Expert
I'm thinking about changing our name to "We train/work to hard to spend time on the internet!"

2009-02-11 5:50 AM
in reply to: #1955170

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
cayrip - 2009-02-10 3:10 PM

I'm thinking about changing our name to "We train/work to hard to spend time on the internet!"

Didn't we try that one page back???

OK - so I have a question or need an education lesson. Don't laugh at me...

What is the proper lingo/terminology when talking about gears. I always sound like an idiot because I don't know what I'm talking about and I guess I just need to learn. The front is called ______, and the rear is called _______? When I say I need a lower gear, I mean easier, is that right? Or is lower gear harder? Help me sound a little more intelligent please.

Another question - cadence. Lower cadence vs. higher cadence. I like to use muscle to get up hills, but am always being told to drop my gears (again, is that the correct wording?), spin more, and save my legs. I've read a thread that had opinions on both sides. What's the opinion with this group? Should I do what is natural for me, and seems to get the best results on the bike, or should I try to change how I normally ride?
2009-02-11 8:20 AM
in reply to: #1956073

User image

Expert
Front = crank
rear = cassette

dropping a gear makes it easier to spin but when the chain goes to a smaller chain ring on the cassette it gets harder to pedal and you go faster so I understand the confusion.

I also say go down a gear when I want to go faster so that lends to even more confusion. Dropping versus going down. I just try to remember "Big in front and little in back is the hardest/fastest combination".

I like to do both (spin and mash) up hills. It depends on the hill, my mood, or my energy level. I do a lot more spinning on long rides because it will "save" your legs as the muscles stay aerobic and there is less lactic acid build up from an anaerobic "mash" up the hill.

I'll send your question to my physiologist friend and see what he says.

Edited by cayrip 2009-02-11 12:03 PM

2009-02-11 11:52 AM
in reply to: #1956073

User image

Expert
karen26.2 - 2009-02-11 4:50 AM

Another question - cadence. Lower cadence vs. higher cadence. I like to use muscle to get up hills, but am always being told to drop my gears (again, is that the correct wording?), spin more, and save my legs. I've read a thread that had opinions on both sides. What's the opinion with this group? Should I do what is natural for me, and seems to get the best results on the bike, or should I try to change how I normally ride?

Here is how a physiologist answers the cadence question--

you have three muscle fiber types, each of which generates power in a different way and utilizes substrate in a different way to generate ATP.

The first fiber type is called Fast Glycolytic. Its myosin quickly makes crossbridges with actin, and results in a very powerful contraction. Primarily these fibers use intermediate energy sources ATP and CP that is already stored in the muscle. However, these supplies dwindle after about 10sec, and the fibers begin to fatigue. In order to keep using the fibers you have to slow down the intensity of exercise, and along with this the body starts to break down glucose into pyruvate, generating two molecules of ATP and two molecules of lactate/lactic acid

The second fiber type is called Slow Oxidative. Their myosin heads slowly attach with actin, and result in a moderately powerful contraction. These fibers primarily used glucose (shunted through glycolysis and then into Krebs Cycle and ETC) and lipids to generate ATP. The one molecule of glucose can generate 30 molecules of ATP (compare this to the 2 ATP derived from the same glucose if it were metabolized in fast glycolytic fibers). The huge upside of this fiber type is that they can generate low power contractions for hours on end without becoming fatigued.

The third fiber type is called Fast Oxidative. These guys are somewhat intermediate in their properties. They are able to generate relatively powerful contractions, but do so using glucose and lipid as an ATP source. They can work for a long time, but not for as long as the slow oxidative fiber.

The answer to your question is, it depends. Low cadence (high force per pedal stroke) will tax primarily the fast glycolytic fibers in your legs. If it is a short climb then using these is okay because you will get to the top and be able to (hopefully) recover the fibers and ATP levels in the cells before you have to call upon them again.

If it is a long hill, or you have a lot of riding to do after the hill is over it is better to rev up the cadence as the two oxidative fiber types will generate the power for this motion. Because they are able to work much longer, and generate ATP more efficiently, it is like getting higher MPG.
2009-02-11 1:36 PM
in reply to: #1950750

User image

Expert
tbcotten - 2009-02-07 4:37 PM

Alright how bout some training talk!  I found some time between my research and the weather  here in TX is starting become favorable finally (I know some of you who train in the great white north think I'm a wuss, but I'm not a fan of training in the cold.)  75 degrees today so I took a nice 22 mile ride on the new bike, my longest thus far.  Nice ride some rolling hills, a really strong head wind for part of it bogged me down but I finished.  Hopefully the weather holds like this longer, although I think they are projecting rain most of next week which means not only can I not ride but I will have to be working long nights! (the life of a biology grad student)

How's the research? Were you able to break away for a workout?
2009-02-11 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
2009-02-11 3:48 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Thanks Cameron! That's some good info, let me re-read and digest...
2009-02-11 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1956763

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
cayrip - 2009-02-11 12:52 PM

The first fiber type is called Fast Glycolytic. Its myosin quickly makes crossbridges with actin, and results in a very powerful contraction. Primarily these fibers use intermediate energy sources ATP and CP that is already stored in the muscle. However, these supplies dwindle after about 10sec, and the fibers begin to fatigue. In order to keep using the fibers you have to slow down the intensity of exercise, and along with this the body starts to break down glucose into pyruvate, generating two molecules of ATP and two molecules of lactate/lactic acid

The second fiber type is called Slow Oxidative. Their myosin heads slowly attach with actin, and result in a moderately powerful contraction. These fibers primarily used glucose (shunted through glycolysis and then into Krebs Cycle and ETC) and lipids to generate ATP. The one molecule of glucose can generate 30 molecules of ATP (compare this to the 2 ATP derived from the same glucose if it were metabolized in fast glycolytic fibers). The huge upside of this fiber type is that they can generate low power contractions for hours on end without becoming fatigued.

The third fiber type is called Fast Oxidative. These guys are somewhat intermediate in their properties. They are able to generate relatively powerful contractions, but do so using glucose and lipid as an ATP source. They can work for a long time, but not for as long as the slow oxidative fiber.

The answer to your question is, it depends. Low cadence (high force per pedal stroke) will tax primarily the fast glycolytic fibers in your legs. If it is a short climb then using these is okay because you will get to the top and be able to (hopefully) recover the fibers and ATP levels in the cells before you have to call upon them again.

If it is a long hill, or you have a lot of riding to do after the hill is over it is better to rev up the cadence as the two oxidative fiber types will generate the power for this motion. Because they are able to work much longer, and generate ATP more efficiently, it is like getting higher MPG.

OK, that makes sense. I had always heard of slow twitch/fast twitch. But I guess there's more to it. And that would explain why on mid distance rides I can handle the lower cadence, but on longer rides I end up extremely tired around 40 miles.

But this would also support a higher cadence during a race so you save your legs for the run then right? All my races have been sprint (one oly) and because I'm strongest on the bike I typically ride like a mad woman knowing the run won't be pretty no matter what, but probably wore out my legs more. I think this summer I will try and use a higher cadence, and see if my run times improve more than my potential increase in bike time.

2009-02-11 9:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA

wetsuit question, sorry i'm short on time so if this has been answered in one of your above links just go ahead and kick me out of the group. (not really)

So I have a pretty high tolerance for cold water.  Yes i'm the guy that will happilly jump quickly into a freezing cold pool first thing in the morning.  What i'm wondering is that with wetsuits i find that it's kind of overcompensation for me in terms of warmth, but the bouyancy cannot be beat.  It's like swimming with pull bouys!

Are there any products out there that are like tri wetsuit bottoms similar to swim jammers (no top)?  They would help with the bouyancy assistance and some time off T1.  If so let me know, i'd rather buy that and spend a little less than buy a sleeveless wetsuit that I may not need.

Thanks in advance!

2009-02-11 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1956763

User image

Regular

Cameron, the research is going well!  I'm trying desperately to get my master's finished by the end of the summer.  Then the big issue of what do I do next???  Any advice from someone already in the field?  This week has been rough on the training however, super busy with field work then I just don't have the energy when I get back, or I have to go back out for the amphibians at night.  That and I have bit of tendonitis in my right foot I'm trying to nurse.  Hopefully next week will allow me some more time to train.  I did get in a quick 15 mile ride today, and I hope to get an early morning swim in tomorrow.

Thanks for the wesuit info that answered many of my questions!

Edited by tbcotten 2009-02-11 10:29 PM
2009-02-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #1957398

User image

Expert
karen26.2 - 2009-02-11 2:57 PM

But this would also support a higher cadence during a race so you save your legs for the run then right? All my races have been sprint (one oly) and because I'm strongest on the bike I typically ride like a mad woman knowing the run won't be pretty no matter what, but probably wore out my legs more. I think this summer I will try and use a higher cadence, and see if my run times improve more than my potential increase in bike time.

It is my understanding that everyone has different ratios of muscle fiber types but that you can train these fibers to become more efficient. This also means that everyone has an optimum cadence. I can ride between 90-100 rpms but I don't run very well afterwards. I run much better if I stay below 90 rpm on the bike. I'm trying to learn why this is and can it be changed so I can finish the run stronger if I ride at a faster rpm. My physiologist friend speaks a different language sometimes even though I have the same biological background so I'm still interpreting what he is trying to tell me but the short answer is yes.

I also need to experiment with cadence and running efficiancy. Having a power meter and heart rate monitor would really help with these experiments but I would need someone esle to translate the data for me.
2009-02-12 9:44 AM
in reply to: #1958150

User image

Expert
tbcotten - 2009-02-11 9:23 PM

Cameron, the research is going well!  I'm trying desperately to get my master's finished by the end of the summer.  Then the big issue of what do I do next???  Any advice from someone already in the field?  This week has been rough on the training however, super busy with field work then I just don't have the energy when I get back, or I have to go back out for the amphibians at night.  That and I have bit of tendonitis in my right foot I'm trying to nurse.  Hopefully next week will allow me some more time to train.  I did get in a quick 15 mile ride today, and I hope to get an early morning swim in tomorrow.

Thanks for the wesuit info that answered many of my questions!

Don't take advice from me on that. I'm stuck in an office everyday paying someone esle to do the field work. I get severly dpressed if I don't get outside to catch critters which is why I can't figure out why I have an office job?????

Here is a temporary job that would be tons of fun. I have the contact info if interested.

FIELD ASSISTANT NEEDED FOR IGUANA STUDY

When: Approximately 28 April to 15 June & 7 August to 17 September 2009

Where: Commonwealth of Dominica, West Indies
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cayrip's sufferers- FULL Rss Feed  

of 9