BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-01-23 10:46 AM
in reply to: #1864965

Subject: RE: grandhavenbill's group - FULL

A quick question about working out when sick...

I have experienced the onset of flu symptoms recently (low grade temp, body aches, cough). I have held off my training because I don't want to wear myself out and risk increased symptoms. (As I will be travelling next week

At what point are workouts helpful vs. harmful?

With cold season around, how cautious should I be while at the same time not throwing out training at the first sign of a sniffle?

Any feedback welcome...

2009-01-23 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

I'm in for Sunday. I think I am going to take advantage of this heat wave and finally run outside again.

I am having cramping issues in the pool. I did a 35 min. bike / 30 min run brink on wednsday, and felt pretty good afterwords. Minor soreness in my calves. Thursday was masters swim day, and around the 2000 meter mark there was a 3x50 kick set. both of my calves cramped up at the same time. That was the worst cramping I've ever had.

I'm trying to force myself to drink more water, but admitedly, I'm not drinking enough. I am also a horrible stretcher, both in my flexability, and my ability to make myself do the stretching that I know is important. Any advice on specific stretch routines for after each event?  Anything else that could help fight the cramping?

2009-01-23 11:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

hi Chris, hope you feel better soon!

My family has been sick all week, and I've felt a hint (very minor) of coming down with something. I trained through this and think it's been positive. I've actually convinced myself that I beat the cold/flu back with the training. Not sure if there is any science to this.

That said, I will not train if I feel crappy. It is misserable, and I can't imagine it does a whole lot of good for your training, or for your sickness. Sleep it off and train when your healthy. That's my unsubstantiated advise. Looking forward to hear what others have to say.

2009-01-23 12:40 PM

User image

Carmel

Hey to all...sorry I haven't been on here in over a week.  Had a death in the family, been outta town, and then had pipes freeze and then burst.  Not been a good two weeks.  Never fear...I am training.  Will try and get caught up on my training logs this weekend.

Hope you are all well!

Drew

2009-01-23 5:07 PM
in reply to: #1923927

User image

Extreme Veteran

Other than clicking noise in my right knee when going up stairs, never had any problems. There is no pain in my knees (yet) while walking or stairs just the first few minutes running. After about 30 minutes walk/run I have no pain and I can run/walk for hours. I do take the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I guess my body is just getting used to it as for last 15 years I was just sitting on my azz :-) PS Looks like the Cervelo P2 will do it for me. I will get the frame and will build it up. Probably the new Shimano Dura Ace. Maybe my next bike/upgrade will be the Transition :-)

Other than being religious about warming up, the only other thing I can think to offer would be keeping things covered until you are warm and maybe try a bio-freeze type product.....

Ack!  Are we going to lose another one to the Cervelo mafia???  Don't let those ST guys persuade you!

2009-01-23 5:13 PM
in reply to: #1924871

User image

Extreme Veteran
A quick question about working out when sick...

I have experienced the onset of flu symptoms recently (low grade temp, body aches, cough). I have held off my training because I don't want to wear myself out and risk increased symptoms. (As I will be travelling next week

At what point are workouts helpful vs. harmful?

With cold season around, how cautious should I be while at the same time not throwing out training at the first sign of a sniffle?

Any feedback welcome..

Hey Chris,

Sorry to hear you are under the weather.  The GENERAL rule is it is OK to workout with symptoms above the neck (runny nose, etc.) but NOT OK if you have chest congestion, a cough, or a fever.  I will typically try to work out thru a garden variety cold and have found that, although it is tough to get moving, once I do I almost always feel better afterwards. 

Sage advice from Brad, just listen to your body.  Stressing a truly sick body with exercise will only prolong your recovery.  FWIW, I'm a believer in "sweating out" a virus.  Not by working out, but using a steamroom (with eucolyptus oil, NICE!), sauna, or whirlpool. 

Get well soon my friend!

2009-01-23 6:12 PM
in reply to: #1925144

User image

Extreme Veteran

Brad,

Are you having cramping anywhere other than your calves?  Is it only when you are swimming?  If so, I'd bet that you are unconciously "locking" your ankles/feet, and maybe your knees, into a fixed position vs. keeping them loose.  Per my swim coach, this is a VERY common malady amongst runners/cyclists trying to become swimmers.  Try focusing on keeping your entire legs loose/fluid during your kick and ask your masters coach for a critique.

Great job on the workouts, you are making awesome progress!

2009-01-23 6:13 PM
in reply to: #1925313

User image

Extreme Veteran
drew32apk - 2009-01-23 1:40 PM

Hey to all...sorry I haven't been on here in over a week.  Had a death in the family, been outta town, and then had pipes freeze and then burst.  Not been a good two weeks.  Never fear...I am training.  Will try and get caught up on my training logs this weekend.

Hope you are all well!

Drew

Hey Drew, welcome back.  Sorry to hear about your loss, what a rough stretch.......

2009-01-24 7:18 PM
in reply to: #1926054

San Diego
grandhavenbill - 2009-01-23 3:07 PM

Other than clicking noise in my right knee when going up stairs, never had any problems. There is no pain in my knees (yet) while walking or stairs just the first few minutes running. After about 30 minutes walk/run I have no pain and I can run/walk for hours. I do take the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement. I guess my body is just getting used to it as for last 15 years I was just sitting on my azz :-) PS Looks like the Cervelo P2 will do it for me. I will get the frame and will build it up. Probably the new Shimano Dura Ace. Maybe my next bike/upgrade will be the Transition :-)

Other than being religious about warming up, the only other thing I can think to offer would be keeping things covered until you are warm and maybe try a bio-freeze type product.....

Ack!  Are we going to lose another one to the Cervelo mafia???  Don't let those ST guys persuade you!

Well, when you are 6'4 it is not easy to find a bike that will actually fit you and most manufacturers does not even make 60/61cm Tri bikes and when they do they are sometimes available as a full bike only and I was looking for a frame only.

2009-01-24 7:37 PM

San Diego
Brutal day on the road...

Just a short rant...

This morning I was riding to meet my group and after about 5 miles I got into a middle of a rain storm. Well, I'm not used to rain or riding in rain so I wasnt sure what to do but I decided to continue. Few minutes later the rain stopped and I made to the place where I meet my group. I was soaked.

Anyway, to my surprise, the group was pretty large when I joined the group. About 75 riders. Not sure what was going on today but the group pace was very fast and I had hard time hanging on. Usually we average about 21/22 mph but today we were flying close to the 24mph. Along the way we lost about 2/3 of our group, ouch.

So today was brutal, very intense training and my legs are still burning. At least I improved my best time so after all it was a great day.

Rant over :-)

Jan

2009-01-26 9:41 AM

Hey everyone,

Hope you are all doing well!  Just wondering if anyone has some good hypoxic breathing sets/plans for swimming?  I can swim 150 meters straight after that I am winded.  Any suggestions?  I've been in the pool for about 2 weeks now.  Thanks! - JeanMarie

2009-01-26 11:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

Hi JeanMarie,

Here is the one we do in my masters group:

50m breathing every 7th stroke, 50 every 5th stroke, 50 every 3rd

this also forces you to breath on both sides. We may have started with every 9th stroke, but I can't remember for sure.

-Brad

2009-01-26 11:31 AM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI

Hi Bill,

there may be a little cramping in my feet as well, but mostly calves. I'm going to ask the coach to watch my kick this week. That seems like a pretty good possibility. Thanks!

2009-01-27 2:15 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

Hey Bill:  Can you give me a slow, good, and great time goal for T1 and T2 for my first sprint. 

Thanks  John

edit.. wearing socks

Edited by fattyfatfat 2009-01-27 6:02 PM
2009-01-27 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1927282

User image

Extreme Veteran

Jancouver - 2009-01-24 8:37 PM Brutal day on the road... Just a short rant... This morning I was riding to meet my group and after about 5 miles I got into a middle of a rain storm. Well, I'm not used to rain or riding in rain so I wasnt sure what to do but I decided to continue. Few minutes later the rain stopped and I made to the place where I meet my group. I was soaked. Anyway, to my surprise, the group was pretty large when I joined the group. About 75 riders. Not sure what was going on today but the group pace was very fast and I had hard time hanging on. Usually we average about 21/22 mph but today we were flying close to the 24mph. Along the way we lost about 2/3 of our group, ouch. So today was brutal, very intense training and my legs are still burning. At least I improved my best time so after all it was a great day. Rant over :-) Jan

Jan,

Sounds like a "fun" ride!  Getting soaked is no fun.  I got trapped in a downpour during one of my long rides last spring and then the temp dropped at least 20 degrees.  By the time I got to a gas station for cover, I was shivering so hard I was convulsing and my hands were too cold to operate the shifters or brakes......

Amazing how the testosterone starts flowing on a group ride.  Please be careful with this going forward into you training plan.  There are definitely times where a workout should be intense, but don't get sucked in during a session that isn't supposed to be.  As Joe Friel so eloquently puts it:  "Make the easy days easy and the hard days hard." 

2009-01-27 3:16 PM
in reply to: #1928917

User image

Extreme Veteran
radishbk - 2009-01-26 10:41 AM

Hey everyone,

Hope you are all doing well!  Just wondering if anyone has some good hypoxic breathing sets/plans for swimming?  I can swim 150 meters straight after that I am winded.  Any suggestions?  I've been in the pool for about 2 weeks now.  Thanks! - JeanMarie

JeanMarie,

Sorry, I've never really done any hypoxic swim training....I'm sure there are many that would argue otherwise, but I'm not really convinced there is much benefit to it for tri training.  Maybe a google search is in order?

2009-01-27 6:21 PM

User image

Champion
marietta

hey all.  quick group bragging note.  i cracked 8 minute miles in a 5k this evening.  avg 7:48 miles.  splits were not negative but i'll take it!!!  THANKS EVERYONE  ESP YOU M'MAN BILL!!!!!!!

this is cause to crack a beer!   

2009-01-27 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1932475

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2009-01-27 7:21 PM

hey all.  quick group bragging note.  i cracked 8 minute miles in a 5k this evening.  avg 7:48 miles.  splits were not negative but i'll take it!!!  THANKS EVERYONE  ESP YOU M'MAN BILL!!!!!!!

this is cause to crack a beer!   

Way to go John!!  With that kind of speed this early, you are going to be a true "force on the course".   I'd celebrate with you, but I have to study tonight for an upcoming exam.....sigh

2009-01-27 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1932585

User image

Extreme Veteran

Hey West Michigan peeps (and any of you who might be up for a road trip!),

Some of us local tri geeks will be meeting at Cross Country Cycle in Holland for a group ride (of the trainer sort....).  Starting time is 11:30-ish or whenever you can get there.  Some of us sadists will be riding for 2:45-ish, others will come and go.  Plenty of inspirational chatter, music, and your choice of TDF and Kona videos to keep your mind occupied.

Will be going out as a group to "re-fuel" afterwards (there is a shower in the shop).

2009-01-27 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
What day Bill?
2009-01-27 9:57 PM
in reply to: #1932095

San Diego
grandhavenbill - 2009-01-27 1:14 PM

Jancouver - 2009-01-24 8:37 PM Brutal day on the road... Just a short rant... This morning I was riding to meet my group and after about 5 miles I got into a middle of a rain storm. Well, I'm not used to rain or riding in rain so I wasnt sure what to do but I decided to continue. Few minutes later the rain stopped and I made to the place where I meet my group. I was soaked. Anyway, to my surprise, the group was pretty large when I joined the group. About 75 riders. Not sure what was going on today but the group pace was very fast and I had hard time hanging on. Usually we average about 21/22 mph but today we were flying close to the 24mph. Along the way we lost about 2/3 of our group, ouch. So today was brutal, very intense training and my legs are still burning. At least I improved my best time so after all it was a great day. Rant over :-) Jan

Jan,

Sounds like a "fun" ride!  Getting soaked is no fun.  I got trapped in a downpour during one of my long rides last spring and then the temp dropped at least 20 degrees.  By the time I got to a gas station for cover, I was shivering so hard I was convulsing and my hands were too cold to operate the shifters or brakes......

Amazing how the testosterone starts flowing on a group ride.  Please be careful with this going forward into you training plan.  There are definitely times where a workout should be intense, but don't get sucked in during a session that isn't supposed to be.  As Joe Friel so eloquently puts it:  "Make the easy days easy and the hard days hard." 

No worries, most of my training days are "easy" days :-) Just kidding, I will be adding more long/slow workouts in Feb.

BTW. My Tarmac is gone and the P2 frame should arrive soon. I ordered some Dura Ace 7900 components and Fizik Arione Tri 2 saddle from RibbleCycles.co.uk and everything arrived within a week, nicely packed. So if anyone looking for some bike deals check them out or check out probikekit.com. Both have free shipping to US and no tax :-)

Happy training to all!

2009-01-28 8:16 AM
in reply to: #1932714

User image

Extreme Veteran

sigepbrad - 2009-01-27 9:22 PM What day Bill?

Oops.....this Saturday.

2009-01-28 1:12 PM
in reply to: #1931969

User image

Extreme Veteran
fattyfatfat - 2009-01-27 3:15 PM

Hey Bill:  Can you give me a slow, good, and great time goal for T1 and T2 for my first sprint. 

Thanks  John

edit.. wearing socks

John,

Transition times are very dependant on the course and transition layout (i.e. distance between the water and the bike racks, etc.).  For what I would consider an "average" race here in Michigan (with wetsuits):

The T1 times ranged from 1:03 to 6:07.  The average for the top 5 overall finishers was 1:22.

The T2 times ranged from 0:27 to 2:34.  The average for the top 5 was 0:32.

Most races keep past results on their websites, you should be able to check times for your race(s) and get a better handle on what is typical for that particular race.

Hope this helps!

2009-01-30 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Awfully quite, everybody OK out there???

So what's everyone up to this weekend?  A very much needed grown up-only night out tonight, looking forward to it!  Group trainer ride tomorrow and then a long-ish run on Sunday followed by lots of studying for a Monday night exam.

Did a new bike interval workout yesterday that you should all try, it's lots of "fun!"  5 minute ladder drill:  ride one minute hard followed by one minute easy, repeat for 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 minutes.  If you have the time and legs for it, spin easy for 5-10 minutes and then repeat.  Woof!

2009-01-30 3:14 PM
in reply to: #1937478

User image

Champion
marietta

heading to the pool after work.  2000 yds  do you use fins in the pool during kick drills?

tomorrow is busy...30 mile ride.  coaches meeting. chili cook off at church. (episcopal is cool but growing up catholic i remember the church used to serve beer at these things, maybe i should switch back)

sunday.  ~7 miler then then hoping the game isn't a blow out.  thankfully no party at our house this year = no clean up!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » grandhavenbill's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22