BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathyd's Peer Support Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-01-19 11:10 PM
in reply to: #1870560

User image

Subject: RE: cathyd's Peer Support Group - FULL
Hi all.  I have a cheaper version of a trainer, which I bought at Bicycle Village--holds up my just slightly less than 200 pound frame.  Look on Craigslist, I've seen both trainers and rollers on their for a good prices.  Sometimes you can find them cheaper online and with free shipping too.  I love having mine, and while spin class and/or exercise bike is better then nothing, I feel like it really helps me in the "cold" season to be able to stay on my actual bike...

2009-01-20 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

Plus - riding a spin bike at the gym doesn't feel the same...

I got my rollers for 25$ on Kijiji (it's like Craigslist).  They are in perfect shape and they have a resistance unit on them!  My trainer was an xmas present years ago from my brother.  I have to admit - I've been on the bike more with it set up in the living room in front of the TV! *laughing*

2009-01-20 7:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lake Placid, NY

Hi all-

I'm back and hoping to be more active- both physically and here on the forum!

I rode the trainer today while watching the beginning of "Blades of Glory"-- stupid and rude, but SOOOOOO FUNNY. That Will Ferrell is hilarious. Can't wait to get back on to ride and watch the rest of it!

2009-01-22 6:42 AM

User image

We haven't been very chatty here lately... must be because we're doing a great job of staying active!

My big challenge this week is to get some training in on Thursday or Friday. These days are quite busy at work. I'm going to try for an easy swim today after work, and run intervals on Friday.
2009-01-22 6:49 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

I've been sucked in by bonktown.com ... They have beautiful Castelli jerseys on right now ... I'm just trying to justify. *laughing*  I have two PI jerseys I have to return - they're too big which would cover the cost of the Castelli jersey ... I think I just justified it. *laughing*

Work has been busy and I haven't been feeling great - so I haven't been posting here as often.  I have a saddle sore which is almost to the point that I'm going to need to go see my doctor - I can't get rid of it and it's just awful to bike with. *sigh*  So I've been feeling a little "off" which I'm trying to pull myself out of. 

I'm swimming tonight.  I'm going to try to swim every day. (I find it helps with my perspective - so even if it's an easy float in the pool it will help me be more positive.)  I miss running outside and I'm hoping it warms up soon.  The skiing has been nice - but not quite as therapeutic.

It's nice know you all are here and I really appreciate checking in and seeing what you all are up to!  Keeps me motivated when I think I would otherwise sit on the couch and do nothing.

2009-01-22 10:51 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Worked last night and went to the pool this morning right after work. Swam and did strength.. my legs were pretty tired.  I think I need more than just one day between strength sessions.  Need to get on the bike later for an easy 30 minute spin, but it's pretty mild outside today - a good outside running day.  I can't do both though so I will decide after I have a nap.

Hope everyone's day is going well.

2009-01-22 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1921902

User image

Expert
Ontario
Silver_wlf - 2009-01-22 7:49 AM

I'm swimming tonight.  I'm going to try to swim every day. (I find it helps with my perspective - so even if it's an easy float in the pool it will help me be more positive.)  I miss running outside and I'm hoping it warms up soon.  The skiing has been nice - but not quite as therapeutic.

It's nice know you all are here and I really appreciate checking in and seeing what you all are up to!  Keeps me motivated when I think I would otherwise sit on the couch and do nothing.

I would love to swim every day,  I really enjoy swimming but it's so inconvenient for me and takes a huge chunk of time out of my day.  In the spring I'll be able to swim at the river that is only 10 minutes from my house.. can't wait for that (and biking outside again)

2009-01-23 9:59 AM
in reply to: #1922404

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area

I would love to swim every day,  I really enjoy swimming but it's so inconvenient for me and takes a huge chunk of time out of my day.  In the spring I'll be able to swim at the river that is only 10 minutes from my house.. can't wait for that (and biking outside again)

Oh yeah, that brings up a question I have [and Spring swimming is a great excuse to buy a wetsuit of course! :]

Do you all have friends, groups or a significant other that 'watches' you while you openwater swim? If so, is that person experienced enough to potentially help you (assuming you're swimming parallel to shore so that it wouldn't take much to get out to you if in need of help) or is your 'watcher' more of a call 911 right away type person?

Thanks!

2009-01-23 11:51 AM

User image

New user
Vegas

http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?browse=all&storetype=estore&estoreid=1530&cm_mmc=Email-_-Nashbar-_-090123Fr-_-Save72&[email protected]

A few really good deals if people need biking stuff.  A friend just forwarded the link to via email and I thought I would share.

2009-01-23 12:20 PM
in reply to: #1924724

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
MtnJay - 2009-01-23 9:59 AM

Oh yeah, that brings up a question I have [and Spring swimming is a great excuse to buy a wetsuit of course! :]

Do you all have friends, groups or a significant other that 'watches' you while you openwater swim? If so, is that person experienced enough to potentially help you (assuming you're swimming parallel to shore so that it wouldn't take much to get out to you if in need of help) or is your 'watcher' more of a call 911 right away type person?

Thanks!

In the past the only open water swims I've done have been races. *laughing* That won't be the case this year as for a HIM I'm going to need more open water experience.  I imagine I'll have someone go with me - and maybe hold my lab so he can go swimming afterwards. *smile*

2009-01-24 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1924724

User image

Expert
Ontario

MtnJay - 2009-01-23 10:59 AM

Thanks!

I do all my OW swimming alone. My SO can't swim so he'd be no help.  Last year I bought a SwimSafe - if you do OW swim alone get one of these, it's great.

2009-01-26 1:49 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario

Another week gone by, how did everyone do?

I met my goal of getting on my bike every day, and actually followed the beginner bike training plan  here .  My goal for the next week is to follow week 2 of this bike plan and add in 2 swims and 2 runs... just haven't decided which days I'll do them. After Monday night I have 6 days off work so it shouldn't be a problem fitting in any training. The only issue will be on the weekend when we go to visit our daughter where I'll have no access to bike/pool, but that will only be for one night.

So how did you do?  What are your goals for the coming week?

Edited by cathyd 2009-01-26 1:50 AM
2009-01-26 6:29 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

Whooohooooo! It's Monday!! Okay ... maybe that's a little more enthusiasm than is really necessary...

My shoulder is still bothering me so I'm going to the physiotherapist on Wednesday.  He'll have some ideas for me.  My saddle sore is almost gone and I'm hoping to get back on the trainer this week.

So my goals are to get back in the pool and get back on the bike. I'm going to run every other day and weights/flexibility for the alternate days.  I'm also hoping to run Thursday on my first lunch.  (We have 2 40 minute breaks - one of which I have duty for - but the other is free.)  I figure maybe a run in the sunshine will help my mood!  I'm starting to go a little stir-crazy not being outside...

What's up peeps? *laughing*  Okay ... off to find some more caffeine!

Edited by Silver_wlf 2009-01-26 9:31 AM
2009-01-26 9:13 AM

User image

Good Morning! off to a busy Monday everyone??? Tonight's training clinic at the Rec Center is about tapering workouts until the tri on the seventh. I would lean to doing MORE workouts if it was up to me, just to feel more prepared, cause I am feeling nervous. But I will behave and follow the training plan teehee...

It is awesome to be part of this group! Have an awesome day!

Keri

2009-01-26 3:51 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Is anyone on Facebook? 
2009-01-26 6:43 PM
in reply to: #1929939

User image

New user
Vegas

Silver_wlf - 2009-01-26 1:51 PM Is anyone on Facebook? 

I am. I think you can search by name right?

Andrea Helzer

2009-01-26 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1930341

User image

me too! I'm on facebook! (Keri Minnick

The taper clinic was really interesting tonight and they gave us some great suggestions for workouts to do next week... I think I want to do another practice tri this week sometime, and practice the transitions a little bit more too... I go from thinking, "sure, I am ready, it is going to be fine" to "oh my gosh what was I thinking" maybe just normal pre race jitters?????

2009-01-26 9:56 PM
in reply to: #1930573

User image

kerilynn - 2009-01-26 7:37 PM

The taper clinic was really interesting tonight and they gave us some great suggestions for workouts to do next week... I think I want to do another practice tri this week sometime, and practice the transitions a little bit more too... I go from thinking, "sure, I am ready, it is going to be fine" to "oh my gosh what was I thinking" maybe just normal pre race jitters?????

Absolutely that is pre-race jitters. You've done your work - don't sabotage your race day by over-doing it now. The key to tapering is to do lower volume but still good quality workouts. Let your body have a chance to get strong by cutting the number of hours, but keep the muscles primed by including those shorter key sessions.

So yes, some transition practice is fine, just don't do the whole race distance. E.g. you could go for a 15 minute swim then bike 30 minutes - or whatever your plan says. You could include some running with a few race-pace intervals. Etc.

Trust in yourself. If not, then at least trust in the plan. I've been there (as have many others) - I know the temptation is there, but I know the taper works. I've seen the results when people didn't taper, and it ain't pretty!

You can do this...
2009-01-27 6:49 AM
in reply to: #1930573

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
kerilynn - 2009-01-26 8:37 PM

Yup - totally normal!  I don't get the complete calm until race day morning.  I'm a total stressball up until the morning of the race.

You're ready and you'll have an amazing day!! Relax and get lots of rest!

2009-01-27 8:54 AM

User image

I'm on facebook too... Courtney Tawresey. I actually have two accounts, so hit me up on either, or both.

So I ran on the treadmill last night with the nike+ thing that I've been using to calculate distance and pace, and its totally off.  I was hoping to avoid buying more stuff, but I think I need a watch that will tell me the pace/distance.  Ideally it would be something polar, since I already have a polar watch and could use the same heart rate strap, but it doesn't have to be.  I guess the main features I'm interested in are distance, pace, heart rate, and calories (not that the calorie numbers are right, but I just like to compare and its a good way to motivate me).

In other happy news, after about a week and a half of mostly good nutrition, I'm back into my size 10 pants! (I had been in 12 and 14s!) They are a little snug, but workable.  Now I just need to get into those 8s I used to wear!

My goals for this week are to actually get the water in, I was better last week but not great, and to get in at least 2 swim workouts...

Hope everyone is having a good week!

2009-01-27 9:40 AM

User image

I'm on facebook.

Marie Quevedo

2009-01-27 10:13 AM

User image

Thank you so much for the encouragement! I will try to think positive and I will taper according to the plan! I am heading to pilates class now... Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

congrats on the size ten Courtney! That is so awesome!!!

2009-01-27 10:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Albany, NY area
You've received some great advice Keri, way to go on keepin' that positive attitude too!
2009-01-27 8:53 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario

How is everyone doing tonight?  (I'm bumping our thread ... it was on page 2!) *laughing*

Whooohoooo! I found everyone so far on Facebook.  I'm Stef Wood BTW - but there's like 13 pages or something. *rolling eyes*

2009-01-27 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1931156

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
ctawresey - 2009-01-27 8:54 AM

In other happy news, after about a week and a half of mostly good nutrition, I'm back into my size 10 pants! (I had been in 12 and 14s!) They are a little snug, but workable.  Now I just need to get into those 8s I used to wear!

Wow!! That's amazing!!! Way to go!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » cathyd's Peer Support Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 11