of 22

2009-02-22 2:48 PM
in reply to: #1901752

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND
Subject: RE: Tri/tbay group closed

Did another 3 Parks run today outside. 

I experienced something I never have before while running and wanted to run it by the group.  My left foot went numb.  No pain or anything like that, but numb.  Immediately after I stopped running and took my shoes off it got better.  Did I have my shoes tied too tight?  It wasn't temperature related as I was warm the entire run. 

Second, now that I have dedicated myself to running outside, my calves are really sore.  The muscle on the inside of the leg, not the outside.  I'm assuming this is due to the difference between running on a treadmill and running outside? 

2009-02-22 3:11 PM
in reply to: #1975847

User image

Regular
Brazoria County

Steven, I get numb feet off and on during a run quite often.  I used to think it was shoes too tight, but my chiropractor/certified sports therapist calls it "compartment syndrome".  When you also added that your calves were sore, the two go together.  I have some pretty good knots in my calf muscles, and the tightness of the muscles tends to constrict the blood vessel/nerve bundle that goes down your calf and into your foot, causing poor circulation, thus the numbness.  When I take off my shoes and massage my feet, or just take the pressure off of them, they start to come back.  He says that the remedy is to continue to work out the knots in your calves such that they don't bind as easily the blood vessels.  My wife has been working on them in the evenings, and they are definitely better.

Do your toes ever get cold just walking around the house, and you can't seem to warm them up?  Or do they ever look white/yellow on the bottom, like there is poor blood flow?

2009-02-22 8:49 PM
in reply to: #1975859

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND
wildcat83 - 2009-02-22 3:11 PM

get cold just walking around the house, and you can't seem to warm them up?  Or do they ever look white/yellow on the bottom, like there is poor blood flow?

My toes are always cold at home, but I always attribute that to never wearing socks in the house.  I iced my calves after the run today and took some ibuprophen.  I need one of those muscle rollers if massage is the only thing that fixes this. 

2009-02-23 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1976362

User image

Regular
Brazoria County

Get yourself "The Stick"--they really work well.  http://www.thestick.com/ But some knots need to have firm (not hard, just firm) pressure (like a thumb) applied around/on them until they start to break down--a big knot might take several minutes or more, but smaller ones just a short time.  You'll be able to feel them as you trace each muscle from ankle to knee, sliding a thumb along.

My feet go white at times, starting with the toes and moving back to the tarsal pads.  Also, my heel sometimes does this, but I massage them, work on my calves, and you can see the pink tinge returning.  It is better since we figured out it was the calves and not the feet themselves causing the problem.

2009-02-23 9:52 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

I am without a bike this week as my road bike is now sold to the bike shop and the TT bike is not set to arrive until Wednesday (bike shop is 100 miles away).  So this morning I went to the Y for Spin class.  The instructor had a migraine, so no class.  Good thing I brought my swim trunks (no towel however).  I did my 800 TT and was less than happy with the results.   13:20 (1:40/100) was my time for the 800.  I did not swim at all last week (maybe 30 mins) and I could tell.  My lungs and HR were fine, but my form and shoulders/back were the problem.  I need to make sure I stay consistent with my two to three wkts for each discipline per week.  My local HS swim coach isn't interested in looking at my stroke, so I'll have to get one of my MTB friends to help me out.  The issue I have is I lose count of laps on long swims because I don't want to zone in on how much is left.  I just want to swim.  Does anyone have a system for counting laps on long swims? 

2009-02-24 7:29 AM
in reply to: #1976971

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Subject: ---

Swimming in a 25 yard pool does have its drawbacks when you are doing 500yds and up.  I have the same problems as you, keeping count...did I just finish the 50 mark or was I thinking ahead that the next lap would be the 50?  I wear a cheap waterproof watch with a stopwatch function, so peek at that and it helps me to know, as I know about how long 100yds should take me.

If anyone knows some other tricks, I'm surely all ears.  Maybe counting in "sets" 1-2-3-1, 1-2-3-2, 1-2-3-3, for every 100yd set.

Another question:  I'm heading to Napa this weekend for the marathon, forecast is 43 deg, 40% chance of rain.  Although the temp itself isn't too cool for me (I ran Moscow last Sept. in 45 degs, 20+ mph wind, in running shorts and sleveless compression shirt), the rain factor has me leary.  I have never run that far in my leggings, so am not interested in that, but I have a one piece tri suit (Louis Garneau) that I have never competed in, but have done some shorter runs in, and it feels pretty comfortable.  Have any of you run long distances in your one piece suits before, and if so, what is the report on comfort?  They are made for this kind of thing, so I think I will be fine.  Also, if any tips on rainy weather running, I'd like to hear them, as I generally avoid wet pavement.

2009-02-24 10:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Hello Guys,

Whew what a busy last 5 days. The swim meet in Gator Land went great. One of my 11-12 boys competed on two state record setting relays at the meet, and they just barely missed breaking two other records that have been held since 1980. It was very exciting.

I'm glad you guys all carried on with out me looks like some good discussion. Just a couple of comments on your conversations. Steven how old are your shoes? Maybe something you need to look into on your foot numbness. As to counting laps, its easier for Mike and I probably since our times for workouts are closer to the 2:00 per 100, and ocassional peak at my watch at whatever distance I can usually tell where I'm at. Since your 100 times are faster it takes a little more math on your part to do it that way. But once you get to where you are doing more sets that are multiple 400's, 200s or even higher you'll get to where you know your times pretty well and it will get easier. You just have to find a system that works for you. We all get lost in our lap counting every now and then.

Mike good luck this weekend, I am running the half at the Gasparilla in Tampa this weekend we also have a forcast of rain. So I am also kind of wondering how it will go. But I think we are going to be a bit warmer. 1:55 or better is what I'm hopeing to do. My training indicates this will happen, but you never know. How about you, what is your time goal? 

Steven your 800 TT is a good time, its the first of 4 so log that as your base time and we'll go from there. Don't be disappointed with that time, its a good time. 

Also Mike, the one piece trisuits are fine. They are made to worn for whatever length event you are in. The only issue I have ever read about with them, is its a bit more of a project if you should have to stop for personal reasons.    

Have a great day.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-02-24 10:43 AM
2009-02-24 11:45 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND
My shoes are pretty new.  They were purchased after Christmas so I could start running for triathlon training.  They are Brooks Ghosts.  I hope I don't have to spend $100 on shoes every 5 weeks.  Just kidding.  I'm pretty sure Mike hit it on the head about the "compartment syndrome."  I had a teammate that always had that issue.  I'll ping him and see how he treated it/lived with it. 
2009-02-24 1:32 PM
in reply to: #1979039

User image

Regular
Brazoria County

"...a bit more of a project if you should have to stop for personal reasons."

Cracking me up...but I doubt any clothing would ever be an issue for me if I really had to go (which I have before)...the item(s) just might not be in quite as "wearable" a condition afterwards, though!!

I am stoked for this marathon.  My goal is to run my first-ever sub-4 hour run.  My conditioning is good, I am rested, the new orthotics for my shoes are properly broken in and my hip/IT band have been as calm as ever...so, barring downpours, I am going to set out at an 8:30-:40 pace and hold that as long as I can.  Realistically, I know I have a 3:50 marathon in me, but have always fought through unbelievable foot pain during last 10K that slows my average time way down. 

I'm going to give it a real go Sunday, though, but above all intend to enjoy the race and camaraderie along the way!  1:55 is a very good time for your half this weekend--good luck!  I supported my wife and three other runners from the pace group I coach at a half this past Sunday.  All finished under 2 hrs, my wife at 1:54 and change.  Even though this was about :30 sec/mile off of her PR, she still took second in her age group, so she was well-pleased!

For me, I love the half above all distances.  You can run it faster, you are never a seemingly-insurmountable distance from the finish, and your recovery afteward is much faster than after a full marathon.  So go out there Sunday and just enjoy the run for whatever it turns out to be!

Mike

Edited by wildcat83 2009-02-24 1:33 PM
2009-02-24 4:39 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

I am very jealous of you two having events to keep yourselves motivated all year long.  My season doesn't officially start until 5/2 at the Chain of Lakes Triathlon. 

I hope you both do well!!  I have never run those distances competitively.  My training will bring me to them later this year preparing for a 70.3 in October. 

2009-02-24 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1979984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Thanks I'm looking forward to doing this. The only half I"ve done previous is in my Half IM last fall, and it didn't go real well. So I am excited to see what I can do on this weekend.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-02-24 7:40 PM

2009-02-24 9:15 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

What was the HIM like?  It seems like from watching on TV that the attitude of a lot of the participants is they are just happy to be there.  Is that right or is it more competitive than that?  What were your splits?  Was it one of the Ford Ironman 70.3 races or a HIM distance race?  You have my full attention. 

2009-02-25 8:52 AM
in reply to: #1980429

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
aesophs - 2009-02-24 10:15 PM

What was the HIM like?  It seems like from watching on TV that the attitude of a lot of the participants is they are just happy to be there.  Is that right or is it more competitive than that?  What were your splits?  Was it one of the Ford Ironman 70.3 races or a HIM distance race?  You have my full attention. 

Your perception is very accurate to a point. I feel(these are my feelings) that within an IM or anything less to that fact there are two events going on inside of the race. Take the pros out of the equation, the elites, top agegroupers and the generally competitive agegroupers, they train at a different level than what we'll call the happy to be here group. The elites, or top AGers who may be trying to qualify for an event  will go at this full tilt and put a hurtin on themselves to finish, and once the time clock  passes to a certain point thats when you see the happy to be here group. You see them cross the finish line smiling, alot of them don't look overly stressed from the day, but they have acheived the same designation as the guy/gal who have just threw up all over themselves trying to finish. So you can see it is very competive at the top level, a lot more casual for the bulk of the competitors, which is what they will show on TV. At the HIM level if your trying to break 5 hrs. your really putting yourself to the test, if it is 6hrs maybe the same kind of test just depends on your abilities. Once you cross the time threshold though its I'm happy to be here.

Take Kona for example, I have made the same assessment as you have, when they air the show, look at the faces of the competitors and the time in which they are crossing the finish line. Breaking 11 hours or better for the AGer is really hard, and it takes full out effort to do so. And the body expression in crossing the finish line reflects that, 12 hours still strong but a bit more reserved in their efforts. And once you get later in the day its just about making sure you finish, which means lots of walking during the marathon, and securing the finish. But take nothing away they are still an Ironman.

When I did my HIM, I had a really good swim 39 min. decent transition, the bike is a tough one at the one I did, it was a 70.3 in Clermont Fl. good event about 2000 ft of climbing, thats alot for Florida. I rode just the way I wanted and needed to make the run, meaning I help back on speed but still kept it in the effort zone I had  planned on. Was looking for 3:15 on the bike, I had two bike related issues, my time was 3:30something, but still OK for me. I knew I was undertrained on my bike mileage and it will show up on the run. Made a mistake on nutrition near the end of the bike segment and didn't feel real well in transition, so I took a seat ate a banana, got to feeling better and got going. Had a pretty good rythym going for about 4 miles, was heading out to the turnaround, which I knew there was hill in my future, wasn't happy about it either. Thats when I made a decision, that I was having fun, and that hill wasn't going to ruin my day and I took on the run/walk mode the remainder of the run. So I guess at that point I became a happy to be here finisher. And I was.

Its the bike miles that will really make the difference, I know it more now than ever. If you can't get off of the bike with fresh legs, the run is  going to be difficult. Bottom line ride. Don't miss the long rides that it takes to develop the necessary fitness the handle the run.

I had a blast doing the HIM, I'll do it again hopefuly with more success, but it was a great experience. As I progress through this year, I am going to be making the assesment on whether I can do an IM, based on my time I have available to do the training.

Hope this kind of answers your question.

2009-02-25 9:28 AM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND
Exactly what I was looking for.  Perspective from someone who has done it before.  I can't help but get fired up every time I think of the challenge presented by 70.3/IM distance races.  There was a guy from Bismarck that got some local sponsorship and did the Wisconsin race in 12:07.  I haven't been able to talk with him, but I plan to over the next few months.  I want to compare training plans and times to project what I will need to do over the next 19 months to get there.
2009-02-25 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1980970

User image

Regular
Brazoria County

Awwwcrap--would you guys cut it out?  My wife is gonna shoot me if she even gets an inkling that I'm thinking about a HIM, or...shudder...more.  :-)

Seriously though, Roy I appreciated your recap of the HIM.  There comes a time in everyone's racing career when they have to make a decision during an event, as to whether or not they are going to let "didn't quite have it" blur into "what a crappy day", or let a DNF due to physical ailments be more than it really is, much as we hate to have it happen (DNF happened to me once, and it was all I could do to keep tears from my eyes).

But, we press on, enjoy encouraging those around us, and love every minute of it!

2009-02-25 9:32 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Ok, after my 800 TT swim the other day I decided to try something different today.  I had a 53 minute swim scheduled on my planner.  It went like this:

200 WU easy

1 x 1000 finished in 17:20  1:44/100  150 HR at finish

1 x 500 finished in 8:26  1:41/100  150 HR at finish

4 x 100 w/paddles and pull buoy

2 x 100 easy CD

50 kick

I felt really good the whole time.  I could swim at that pace it seems like forever.  I have no breathing issues or fatigue at all.  I don't know how to go faster without kicking like a mad man and wearing out after 75 meters.  Any suggestions?  Will speed increase over time or am I destined to swim at that pace forever? 

2009-02-26 6:04 AM
in reply to: #1982471

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Thats a good workout, the adaptation of speed will develop in the coming months. One area that makes it hard to get faster for triathletes, they are only swimming 2-3 tmes a week, unlike swim oriented athletes who will swim 5-6 days a week it can happen at a faster progession. Stay patient do more workouts like this one keep your work aerobic and mix in some anarobic sets and you'll see your ability to reduce your pace time. You can do a 1000set like this 10x100 hold 1:30, leave on the 1:45. The idea is to hold that 1:30 pace for the entire set, if you can at this point thats great, if you begin to fatigue toward the end thats ok. Ideally you would not see your times drop past 1:35. Now if are doing this set and your HR is 160 plus then it is telling you your system is not quit ready. But once you've gone through the adaptation and can manage this kind of set with all of the additional swimming as well you'll see the kind of pace times your looking for.

I looked at your log the other day, we'll begin to change the kind of sets to things more like what you did yesterday, I think you will begin to see some nice increase in speed.

It looking good keee it up.

1:30 is an example if it needs to be 1:35 leaving on 1:50 thats fine, so try it out and see where your going to be comfortable. I think you can do 1:30 under this parameter.

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-02-26 6:06 AM
2009-02-26 6:11 AM
in reply to: #1981687

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
wildcat83 - 2009-02-25 3:33 PM

Awwwcrap--would you guys cut it out?  My wife is gonna shoot me if she even gets an inkling that I'm thinking about a HIM, or...shudder...more.  :-)

Seriously though, Roy I appreciated your recap of the HIM.  There comes a time in everyone's racing career when they have to make a decision during an event, as to whether or not they are going to let "didn't quite have it" blur into "what a crappy day", or let a DNF due to physical ailments be more than it really is, much as we hate to have it happen (DNF happened to me once, and it was all I could do to keep tears from my eyes).

But, we press on, enjoy encouraging those around us, and love every minute of it!

Thanks Mike, your right there is a point of decision. I remember my first triathlon, I was about a quarter mile into the run my HR was up and I wanted to walk, I was whinning to myself, but I said "I didn't come here to walk" so I pressed on, HR came down and I finished it. The day of my HIM was a day of celebration of sorts, it was my 50th birthday present to myself, so that had a little something to do with my decision. Hopefully next time based on experience and training I'll do it the way I intended too.

When do you leave for California?

2009-02-26 6:00 PM
in reply to: #1982785

User image

Regular
Brazoria County
Subject: CA here I come!

We leave tomorrow evening for California...haven't checked the latest weather forecast but hope it continued to improve.  I went to my chiro yesterday to have him do some final work on calf knots, etc., but I am ready, I think.  I am really looking forward to this race, and it is in large part due to how little I am aching right now and how good I've been feeling all from cross-training...keeps those repetitive strain injuries down.

I went and had a bike fitting today from a neighbor who owns a tri shop up in Houston.  My geometry was all out of whack (the bike's geometry, not mine!), so am glad to have things professionally adjusted.

Any of yu ever experiment with Hammer products?  Anti-fatigue pills, Endurolytes, Race Day Booster, etc.?  I am going to try this stuff during Napa...I know, I know--don't try new things on race day.  But, this isn't my first, or only, rodeo this season, so I think I am entitled to a little experimentation, knowing full well that it might backfire and I just get to enjoy a slow jog through the beautiful wine country...see?  no downside!

Steven, that was a good swim workout you posted.  I, also, just got back from my swim.  Decided today to do speed work more and less endurance/drills.  I was pleased, as this is really the first time I have done 50's at what is probably 90%+ for me, and also one 100.  My 50s were :40, :39, :39, :37, HR was 148 average after each, did :30 sec rest in between.  My 100 was 1:27, fastest one yet for me, but suspect I was infringing on anaerobic range with HR at 162 at finish.

Edited by wildcat83 2009-02-26 6:00 PM
2009-02-27 5:47 AM
in reply to: #1984409

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
Subject: RE: CA here I come!
wildcat83 - 2009-02-26 7:00 PM

Hammer products?  I use Hammer products alot of the time, you'll be fine with the gels, I use the endurolytes. I've never used the race day caps and some of that line, I've read their info on most of the products, I think its well researched and they are good supporters of endurance sports in general.

Good swim test and you can see where your thresholds are at this point.

Good luck with your run we'll look forward to your report, and I'll have one as well. 

Edited by tri/tbay 2009-02-27 5:48 AM
2009-02-27 2:07 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

Hi guys, I'm back!  Thanks for holding my seat.

This week has been aweswome for me.  I have to admit that all the sacrifices and extra work has paid off.  I work for the food industry which has been hit real hrd.  Anyways, the stress levels is down, while the workouts are up.

Did a nooner bike TT today - at least thru 75% of the ride, then I had to stop for construction crew and lost my rhythm. 

I keep trying to find ways to lose another Lb as I am stuck, but maybe the problem is that I'm trying too hard.  I'm alsolosing spousal support as she's getting depressed and seems to "be lacking my attention", which I do give, but I also have my own pressures and other diversions.  Maybe I should turn into a stinking drunk/smoker and catch some really bad habits... see what she might lack then.

OK - i was planning to go swimming tomorrow AM but there's this local TRI meeting that I want to attend.  I'm bringing my bike to see if they can help my position, although I do feel very well on it (BTW - why is position such a huge deal nowadays?)  I can understand being fit to a bike but what I see being pushed is pro-level.  I just want to ease the pain in my butt.

Overall this week was awesome as a way to catch-up with my workout schedule, I even included a swim session that gave me something to look forward to. 

Job related stress has come down quite a bit - all the extra work has given me a 25% over quota record, plus Marcc is halfway in the bag.  This relieves a lot of my stress and will allow me to refocus and prepare a new work/workout plan.

I will ease my runs this weekend, I have not been feeling the leg strength or the same stride. Let's see what I can come out with from this seminar.

Roy: thanks for the HIM insight, awesome.  Right now HIM is my highest goal in the sport, not sure I want to give up my job - but who knows, I haven't been bitten by the RedDot bug yet.

I have read all the posts, but have not had much of a chance to post.  But I am back!  COunt on me to support ya'll in any way I can.

2009-02-27 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1986246

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland

Great to have you back on air. Remember early on I mentioned TIME, its tough sometimes and we have to do the things that maintain balance and stability for our lives in general. I'm glad to hear that work is going well and that your training opportunities will open up. I know your a man of integrity and you'll do the right things in your personal life, but I assure you that when that first race comes and she is there to see you accomplish one of your goals she'll be your biggest supporter and will enjoy the day. So stay positive pick your opportunities and lets get to the start time.

Hope to see you soon,

2009-03-01 10:21 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa

Great to be back and working out, as my blog shows I pulled 2 workouts per sport this week.  I am finally able to follow my training schedule.  2 swims in the same week!!!

BTW, how the heck do you swim and manage to get HRM data?

I swam 5 x 200 at 4:30 (ea set took me between 3:47 to 3:52.

I then went for 5 x 50 at max speed but could only do 2 sets.  35 mn inthe water was enough for now,  Hey - I am just getting started on this swimming thing.

I did not run this morning as I am looking to give my legs some rest. Monday will be cold here so I guess it will be another bike trainer ride.

I wish all a wonderful week of tri'ing and doing!

2009-03-02 1:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lakeland
I"m sure getting in some scheduled work felt good. Work your self back in to your routines, no need to try to overdue to make some time. You'll catch back up in a couple of weeks. An easy way to check HR in the pool is to locate your artery in the neck, take a pulse count for 6 seconds, and then multiply that count by 10. EX. 14x10= 140 BPM. Its pretty accurate and is certainly close enough to get a good indication. You should start doing this on a regular basis during your swim sets, it will help you when you are doing sets and without even taking a HR count, you will by how you feel know. How did the tri clinic go on Saturay?
2009-03-02 3:50 PM

User image

Regular
Jamestown, ND

Alright guys, I need detailed race reports so I can live vicariously through you. 

Had a fantastic swim workout yesterday.  The main workout was 4 x 500M intervals, 8 minute pace, leave every 9:30.  I was slightly under 8 minutes on the first three (HR about 150), and 8:15 on the last (HR 165).  I really felt my rotation in the water and everything felt really smooth on the first three, then I got tired and form went away on #4 so I stopped after that one. 

I need to make myself do flip turns to shave some time off pool swims.  I haven't done them in several years, so I think tonite's recovery swim will have some flip turn work. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Tri/tbay group closed Rss Feed  

of 22