BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 58

2009-04-18 5:42 PM
in reply to: #2093785

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Introduction in correct format

JoeBWan - 2009-04-19 1:48 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 12:33 AM

how are you going with cycling just twice a week? Comes down to your time avail and priorities of course! But generally in tris cycling can be up to 50% of your race time, especially in the longer distances... so it helps to have a good engine

Yeah.  There's just not enough time to do everything I wish I could do.  Ideally, I would like to fit in two days of strength training, too, but like you said, it's all about priorities.

One of my friends that I do local sprints with told me once that if his running is "on," then everything else pretty much comes together.  I kind of feel that way too even though I know it's probably not the best logic.

So did your ankle heal completely?  Another friend of mine said that she sprained her ankle almost a year ago and it STILL swells up sometimes on long runs.  The prospect of having a lifetime recurring injury scares me.

Ok - just wanted to check. Long term you might find it useful to do someblocktraining... so a few weeks with increased cycling andcuttingback on the other sports just togetsome gains happening before going back to your routine.

Another option that works for some people is to cycle the long run and ride. So one weekend you do your long run, next weekend you do a long ride instead. It means you get the best of both worlds without sacrificing any more time.

Another workout you need toconsider when you get close to the race is a Brick workout. This is, to put it simply, a ride followed imeadiately by a run. Its really important to get you and your legs used to the the feeling of going from one workout to the other.  If you have ever ridden hard (even on a spin bike) and then got off you will be pretty familiar with the jelly leg feeling that goes along with.. running on those legs can take some practice! Bricks are not something that you need to do weekly or even monthly.. just a few times in the lead up to a race. Something like riding hard for an hour, changing into your running shoes and then jogging for 15 minutes is plenty!!

On the ankle... my bad ankle can get a bit weird and clicky (Ive sprained them both in the past but the bad one is the one that put me on crutches) and they both sometimes swell up if Ive been running a lot but usually its in the heat... they definatley prefer the colder weather! Its not a major drama though so I wouldnt worry about it too much

Edited by kaqphin 2009-04-18 5:42 PM

2009-04-18 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2093798

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - Open

JoeBWan - 2009-04-19 1:59 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 12:16 AM DO NOT SWIM WITH PADDLES - unless you have perfect form and NO shoulder issues...

Really?!  I was JUST about to buy some swim paddles.  So is this advice just for Dee or do you think paddles are a bad idea for any untrained swimmer?  I was reading online that they really help you build your "pull strength" and, although I'm really happy with being able to swim longer distances now, I'm not going any faster.

OH - I never answered your question about my swim training.  You asked if I do any drills or if I just swim for time.  I pretty much just swim freestyle now, but I'm thinking about joining our local Masters group.  I get their daily workout emails and have been reading their workouts for a couple of weeks now.  It's pretty much like trying to read Chinese.  I have no idea what their abbreviations and nicknames for workouts mean.  But, I felt the same way before going to my first track workouts last year and I learned pretty quickly.

Ok if you want to post up some swim workouts Im happyto help you translate - for the most part all swim workouts consist of thesame things so we can all translate each others... if not ALL most.

When it comes to toys for swim training I would get a pull buoy, swim fins and a kickboard before you get paddles. Paddles have their place but people tend to over rely on them when really they should be used sparingly if at all (dependant on your technique)

If you want to get faster, swim short sets fast, make sure your technique is flawless and practice!

2009-04-18 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2093916

User image

Champion
Sydney
Subject: RE: Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED

D001 - 2009-04-19 3:48 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 1:43 AM

Super Cats 'To Do' List

So I dont forget here are the areas I still havent covered yet from all or your posts:

- Traning solo vs training with a group - what, when etc

- How to plan your swim training

- Triathlon race day: What to wear, transition, what to expect

Let me know if Ive mised anything else!

Maybe we could discuss additional technique stuff? For example: Swimming stroke technique pointers. (Unless you're including that in your planning/drills.) What about planning run training? (Because we know I "love" the treadmill, and wogging on it.)

And cyclew training too?

Got it Dee I can do that!!!

Since these topics are quite big I think I will do one every few days so we can talk about it before we move onto something else...

Will that work for everyone?

2009-04-18 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2093965

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-04-19 4:37 AM I went for a bike fitting yesterday as I want to get a new road bike (I'd be happy to give more details if anyone would like). The bike fitter noticed I have one leg shorter than the other, my knee on the short leg has been bothering me when I run but not walking or on the elliptical. In general this knee does not have the flexibility the other knee does and aches under the knee cap if I flex too hard. Should I see a podiatrist or sport medicine clinic about it?

Way to go on the bike fitting!!!! What sort of road bike are they recommending to you? I want ALL the details

Running is more impact so anything thats not quite right will cause you much more grief running than anything else. As Dee mentioned you might have Runners Knee (I have it) which is to so with the knee cap tracking incorrectly. This will be due to some muscles overworking and getting tight, some possibly not working hard enough (I have lazy glutes for example) as well as other potential issues such as the leg length discrepancy you mentioned.

If you have access to a good sports medicine place I would go there first. A podiatrist may also be good as you may find you need orthotics or shoe inserts to help. I have custom orthotics and they arent cheap but have made such and incredible difference they were worth every cent!!!!

Some of the other things that may be recommended include knee taping, ice, stretching and strength work...

2009-04-18 5:54 PM
in reply to: #2094064

User image

Champion
Sydney

d2lock - 2009-04-19 6:10 AM

D001 - 2009-04-18 12:55 PM Question for the group: How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau? Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself? For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

You can check my Album for how I stay motivated - nothing like progress pics; this way, if you aren't seeing progress on the scale, there is some visual proof (and knowing that I need to pull the belt one notch tighter).

Workouts - I use my iPod on the stationary bike (I haven't bought a bike yet since the weather in Seattle doesn't start getting nice until end of April / early May).  I set up a playlist for intervals with songs that have a high paced/driving beat followed by one or two songs to slow down.  For long rides I'll bring along some study materials (I'm studying for the CPA exam) or magazine to pass the time.

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! Those pics are amazing

2009-04-18 6:01 PM
in reply to: #2093922

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-19 3:55 AM Question for the group: How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau? Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself? For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

Hi Dee,

There are a couple of things that might help you...

1) If I really DONT want to workout... and there is no good reason for it (ie I havent had 0 hours sleep, I havent got super ba PMS etc) then I try to make myself go for 15 minutes... thats the deal -  I can stop after that if I really dont want to! Most of the time I find that I will finish my workout because Im already there and 90% of the time I end up feeling better than when I started. This moves me on to...

2) The actual workout. It is easier to complte a workout and also committ to it if you know what you are doingand why. Just turning up to the gym/pool etc without an idea of what you are about todo and why makes it easier to not do your workout or to cop out!

3) Other things that work include reading moticvating stories from magazine or race reports here on BT. Fat photos of myself... buyingsome new workout gear. A new $10 top or air of cycling gloves etc can lift my spirits and get me going again. I used to use music a lot when training - I find I need it only when Im training indoors. On that one other thing I find motivating is a new training lcation like a new running route. Working out with other people can also be useful if I KNOW Im meeting someone I WILL turn up - no excuses!

2009-04-18 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2094341

User image

Champion
Taser-World
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 6:51 PM
(I have lazy glutes for example)

LOL. That's a statement that LOTS of BTers would enjoy reading. (Must resist urge to put it in my sig lines...)

as well as other potential issues such as the leg length discrepancy you mentioned.

If you have access to a good sports medicine place I would go there first. A podiatrist may also be good as you may find you need orthotics or shoe inserts to help. I have custom orthotics and they arent cheap but have made such and incredible difference they were worth every cent!!!!

Some of the other things that may be recommended include knee taping, ice, stretching and strength work...

Good points, Cat!

Also, I tried using a knee band. (I'm sure it has another name.) It goes right under the knee, and I think it helped a little, as well. It's supposed to make the patella track in a straighter line.

Here, found one online:
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/nike/descpage.html?pcode=NPKBM

Edited by D001 2009-04-19 1:52 AM
2009-04-18 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2072951

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
Good grief - go away for a day and have four full pages to read!

I noted it in my training log but I did a short swim this morning.  After reading your helpful comments to someone else about their stroke, I definitely thing I was "short arming" my stoke so I was more like a salamander or something.  Anyway, I hit my toes with water a couple of times but things were much better today, other than a crowded pool meant having to share a lane with "The Punisher."  That guy seriously abuses the water the whole time he is in it - lots of slaps, a bunch of splash kicks and all kinds of foam in his wake.
2009-04-18 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2094128

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Hmmm...I'll check into it. Sort of sounds like what it feels like. Thanks for the links Dee.

Do you know if you have chondromalacia patella? I have it. (I've had it for years, actually.) I've found that doing leg extensions helps strengthen the muscles supporting the knee. (Be sure not to hyperextend though.) Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/chondromalacia-patella/DS00777 Go Ask Alice (Columbia U.): http://www.goaskalice.columbia.edu/1112.html
2009-04-18 10:23 PM
in reply to: #2094632

User image

Champion
Sydney

Sulcus - 2009-04-19 12:09 PM Good grief - go away for a day and have four full pages to read!

I noted it in my training log but I did a short swim this morning.  After reading your helpful comments to someone else about their stroke, I definitely thing I was "short arming" my stoke so I was more like a salamander or something.  Anyway, I hit my toes with water a couple of times but things were much better today, other than a crowded pool meant having to share a lane with "The Punisher."  That guy seriously abuses the water the whole time he is in it - lots of slaps, a bunch of splash kicks and all kinds of foam in his wake.

Oh I see all kinds of fun drills and such in your future... I wrote two swim programs this week for CG (a friend of mine) who is working on his stroke...

The second one particular will probably be purfect for you to try.... will retrieve it from my work email tomorrow and post it up!

Once weve established your ability to float etc Im thinking you are going to want to look at some stroke technique drills like catch up, finger drag and fist drill - Fun Times!!!

2009-04-18 10:24 PM
in reply to: #2094474

User image

Champion
Sydney

D001 - 2009-04-19 10:23 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 6:51 PM (I have lazy glutes for example)
Wow. That's a statement that LOTS of BTers would enjoy reading. (Must resist urge to put it in my sig lines...)
as well as other potential issues such as the leg length discrepancy you mentioned.

Good points, Cat! Also, I tried using a knee band. (I'm sure it has another name.) It goes right under the knee, and I think it helped a little, as well. It's supposed to make the patella track in a straighter line. Here, found one online: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/nike/descpage.html?pcode=NPKBM

I probably 'should' tape my knee cap but Im not sure I remember how.. I see a refresher trip to the physiotherapist in my future as my right knee is a bit achy post workout today... silly thing... Bleh

2009-04-18 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2094341

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
I currently have a mtn. bike and a hybrid (plus my folding brompton). Neither fit me well and really hurt my shoulders when I ride for more than 15 or 20 minutes, so I was thinking of getting a WSD road bike and craigs listing the other two bikes.

I have looked around and am considering several models from $1000 USD for a 2008 Specialized Dolce Comp, $1300-$1800 for this year's Dolce Comp to Trek WSD 2.3, Felt ZW25 and even up to about $2300 for a Trek WSD Madone 4.5. Though the shop gave me a price and I saw that price on the Trek web site early in the week but it seems Trek has now raised the prices about 10% on the web site and the bikes have to be ordered. So that worries me about the price hike.

I still don't know what I want. Any suggestions? Help?

Way to go on the bike fitting!!!! What sort of road bike are they recommending to you? I want ALL the details

Edited by losta 2009-04-18 10:33 PM
2009-04-19 2:01 AM
in reply to: #2094734

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-04-19 1:32 PM I currently have a mtn. bike and a hybrid (plus my folding brompton). Neither fit me well and really hurt my shoulders when I ride for more than 15 or 20 minutes, so I was thinking of getting a WSD road bike and craigs listing the other two bikes.

I have looked around and am considering several models from $1000 USD for a 2008 Specialized Dolce Comp, $1300-$1800 for this year's Dolce Comp to Trek WSD 2.3, Felt ZW25 and even up to about $2300 for a Trek WSD Madone 4.5. Though the shop gave me a price and I saw that price on the Trek web site early in the week but it seems Trek has now raised the prices about 10% on the web site and the bikes have to be ordered. So that worries me about the price hike.

I still don't know what I want. Any suggestions? Help?

Ok here is my bike buying 101:

1) Get fit for a bike by an LBS then get their recommendations based on that fit

2) Test ride any bikes they recommend - preferably around the block outside minimum in addition to using the trainer instore at the bike shop

3) If you go the second hand route make sure you test ride too! Also check that the wheels spin evenly, the brakes work well and that visually the bike looks in good condition. Some people may let you take it to the LBS to get checked out!

4) If you still want to go second hand ask them lots of questions about how the bike has been used like: How long they have had thebike, did they buy it new and from where, how they used the bike (training 3-4 times a week is very different to a social ride occassionally), when was the bike last serviced etc

Things I would consider:

- Components...if you go Shimano I would try and get a 105 minimum if you can in your price range. Its a much nicer ride and very durable

- How does the bike FEEL when you ride it? Is there anything about it that bothers you? Saddle is the big one... its very common to change that out

- What else do you need to get with your bike? Pump? Helmet? Bottle cages? Bike computer? Tubes? Saddle Bag? shoes? pedals? Clothing? If you are buying from the LBS they should do a deal for you that includes any accessories you need.

- Make sure you get a fit on your bike as part of the deal with the option to come back after x amount of weeks once youve been riding your new bike for a little while. Ask them not to set you up too aggresively to start with or you may find you get a lot of random aches and pains...nothing wrong with starting in a gentle position and gradually tweaking it to be more aggressive

There are lots of great bikes in the $1000-$1500 price bracket which is absolutely purfect for your first road bike.

The MOST important feature of the bike is getting the corect frame size... while a lot can be done with headsets, cranks and saddle height it will not over come an incorrect frame size! So get that correct first.

Two frames in the same size by different manufacturers will not have the same dimensions and fit so you may not be the same size across the different bike brands (just so you are aware!) This is also why you need to test ride the bikes wherever possible unless you are 100% sure that it will fit you!

All of the major bike brands are awesome so you are pretty safe buying from all of them. When you start narrowing down your options feel free to post them up and we can help you with comparing components and wheels etc so you know which might be the most cost effective option... but this is only important if you cant decide on the bike FIT!

Finally - on your shoulder issue. I used to get some tightness and pain across my shoulders (and neck) when riding too. There are a few things that may be causing it.

1) You have not spent enough time regularly on your bike to be used to the position

2) You are tensing up your arms/hands/shoulders when you ride. Make sure you are not holding on to the handle bars for dear life. Your hands should for the most part just be relaxed and resting in a comfortable position

3) You are too stretched out on your bike (frame is too big OR your saddle is too far back) - is there a nice gentle bend in your elbows when you are riding along with your hands on the hoods of your handle bars?

4) You dont have the flexibility/core strength to hold your current bike position... if the handlebars are too low you may be trying to hold your body in a position that your body isnt currently able to support causing your body to tense up and carry too much weight across your neck and shoulders

In my case it was a mixture of a frame that was slightly to big and a poor riding position... my seat needed to be lifted up a little higher which due to the change in angle required for me to reach the handle bars actually bought me closer to the bars. When I get my new bike the frame is the correct size and being a Womens Bike the top tube is a bit shorter than on the mens bikes as well as different angles which will allow me to get a better position!

Good luck with it all - let us help in any way we can with the bike buying! We've all had to do it at some time... in my case Im on round 2 now!

2009-04-19 9:11 AM

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Thanks for the checklist. Good things to consider.

My problem is I know too much, yet I don't do too much (riding).
I have had about 30 bikes in my life, when I was in my 20's and cycling alot I bought a Colnago frame and built it up with all high end Campagnolo parts. Was I fast..NO...was it fun ...YES!

I know if I buy a bike that is OK, I may want (and buy) a better one soon. I don't really want to look like a big fat geek with a super bike (though I probably do no matter what bike, though it probably looks stupider with a more expensive one). But I don't really care what anyone thinks. Are Carbon Fiber bikes really more comfortable and better handling?

Since they don't have the size I want I can't ride the exact bike. I did get all measured and they suggested several models, though they said go for the expensive one.

Why has it take so long for the bike manufacturers to come out with women's specific designs?

Anyone have any thoughts on trek vs. felt vs. specialized?

Edited by losta 2009-04-19 9:16 AM
2009-04-19 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
State College, PA
Wow!  That's a great checklist and a bunch of information to consider for the road bike purchase.  Thanks yet again, Cat!  I'm going to have to stop saying thanks, or just add it to my signature because I feel like I have to say it every time I reply to our group!

To chime in, I have been trying to be fiscally responsible by going "used" too, especially since my logic is that I can get a year or two old bike with a much higher groupo for less money than I would have to spend on a cheaper new bike with less attractive package.

However, after expressing these thoughts to the owner of my LBS, I found out that he will REALLY work with me on pricing to get me into a new bike or one that is left over from last year without sacrificing on the quality.  Plus, their advice on which bike fits my needs is truly beyond measure.

Don't be afraid to be honest with the local shops.  Tell them you're thinking about going used to save some bucks even though you would much rather support his business.  You might be surprised at what they will do for you.  They will be loyal to you if you show them you're willing to be loyal to them.

Good luck!
2009-04-19 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2094358

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 7:01 PM

D001 - 2009-04-19 3:55 AM Question for the group: How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau? Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself? For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

Hi Dee,

1) If I really DONT want to workout... and there is no good reason for it (ie I havent had 0 hours sleep, I havent got super ba PMS etc) then I try to make myself go for 15 minutes... thats the deal -  I can stop after that if I really dont want to! Most of the time I find that I will finish my workout because Im already there and 90% of the time I end up feeling better than when I started. This moves me on to...

2) The actual workout. It is easier to complte a workout and also committ to it if you know what you are doingand why. Just turning up to the gym/pool etc without an idea of what you are about todo and why makes it easier to not do your workout or to cop out!

3) Other things that work include reading moticvating stories from magazine or race reports here on BT. Fat photos of myself... buyingsome new workout gear. A new $10 top or air of cycling gloves etc can lift my spirits and get me going again. I used to use music a lot when training - I find I need it only when Im training indoors. On that one other thing I find motivating is a new training lcation like a new running route. Working out with other people can also be useful if I KNOW Im meeting someone I WILL turn up - no excuses!

Yeah, I hate trying to exercise when I have really bad PMS - oh wait, I just get the sympathy sweet and salty cravings.  Nevermind.

You probably know this but having a plan had made all the difference for me.  I used to go, try to figure stuff out and not end up with very productive training sessions.  If I didn't go, it was probably because I was too busy procrastinating by trying to put together the perfect workout.

Using Cat's 15 minute trick is brilliant because I know, for me, that the more I actually train, the more I want to keep training.  It has even spilled over into my eating habits because I will look at something and go "that is sooooo not worth an hour on the bike!"

The last thing is that I have been using the training are to keep my measurements.  It is an AWESOME feeling when I record them and see you have lost inches, even if most of it has been in my calves at the moment. 

2009-04-19 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2095062

User image

Champion
Sydney

losta - 2009-04-20 12:11 AM Thanks for the checklist. Good things to consider.

My problem is I know too much, yet I don't do too much (riding).
I have had about 30 bikes in my life, when I was in my 20's and cycling alot I bought a Colnago frame and built it up with all high end Campagnolo parts. Was I fast..NO...was it fun ...YES!

I know if I buy a bike that is OK, I may want (and buy) a better one soon. I don't really want to look like a big fat geek with a super bike (though I probably do no matter what bike, though it probably looks stupider with a more expensive one). But I don't really care what anyone thinks. Are Carbon Fiber bikes really more comfortable and better handling?

Since they don't have the size I want I can't ride the exact bike. I did get all measured and they suggested several models, though they said go for the expensive one.

Why has it take so long for the bike manufacturers to come out with women's specific designs?

Anyone have any thoughts on trek vs. felt vs. specialized?

Knowing too much is the WORST isnt it? It really opens your options... especially if yuo dont feel passionatley about something!

Ok my thoughts on the brands you mentioned:

1) They are all great brands who have been in the industry for awhile so all will look after you

2) I tend to find that because of name/reputation/celebrity factor that goes with them, the Trek are often over priced compared to other brands at the same price point (as always this is a generalisation

3) Felt in past years have offered GREAT value for money compared to many of the other brands. Cant really go wrong with them as long as they fit you

4) Specialized are beautiful bikes too... once again they used to be a bit more than some other brands at each price point but all women who ride them give them great reports - especially here on BT.

5) Is there a specific reason why they are recommending the WSD bikes... in most brands there is not a huge difference between the men and womens apart from maybe a couple of angles and top tube length. Have they sat you on a mens bike at all or said why they specifically recommend a WSD

Oh and I would LOVE to do what you did with the Colnago frame and building the bike up. Its somethign i would like to do one day since i leave all the mechanical work on my bike to other people. I can deal with flats, dropped chains and cleaning the bike but thats about it!

Carbon fibre is really a personal thing. Do yuo need it to race? No... will yuor be at a major disadvantage not having a carbon bike? No. My new bike is carbon but Ive been riding an aluminium Trek for 5 years and while I can feel a difference when they let me tkae the new bike out for a spin... its not a HUGE difference... in fact most of the positives I noted were due to the bike being a better fit for me and set up properly with higher end components!

The bike shop will always recommend the more expensive bike (within reason) so just make sure they can tell you why. The price difference will either be due to: components, carbon fork, carbon seat post or better wheels.

If you want to find some links to the bikes you are looking at Im sure we all would be more than happy to look at them for you.

Finally - dont underestimate the power of a bike you just LOVE. If your gut tells you that yuo really really really want a specific option then I would say go with it (assuming its in your price range and it FITS - fit first!) because in the long run you will be happier on it, ride more and wake up in the morning wanting to ride

Edited by kaqphin 2009-04-19 6:23 PM
2009-04-19 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2095164

User image

Champion
Sydney

JoeBWan - 2009-04-20 1:35 AM Wow!  That's a great checklist and a bunch of information to consider for the road bike purchase.  Thanks yet again, Cat!  I'm going to have to stop saying thanks, or just add it to my signature because I feel like I have to say it every time I reply to our group!

To chime in, I have been trying to be fiscally responsible by going "used" too, especially since my logic is that I can get a year or two old bike with a much higher groupo for less money than I would have to spend on a cheaper new bike with less attractive package.

However, after expressing these thoughts to the owner of my LBS, I found out that he will REALLY work with me on pricing to get me into a new bike or one that is left over from last year without sacrificing on the quality.  Plus, their advice on which bike fits my needs is truly beyond measure.

Don't be afraid to be honest with the local shops.  Tell them you're thinking about going used to save some bucks even though you would much rather support his business.  You might be surprised at what they will do for you.  They will be loyal to you if you show them you're willing to be loyal to them.

Good luck!

This is GREAT advice... also loyalty will save you money in the long run too! When you buy a new bike dont be afraid to ask for a deal that includes all the other bike stuff you need... its the cheapest way to buy your bike... anything from spare tubes through to new glove and a computer is all up for negotiation! And shops will do AWESOME deals on accessories at the time of purchase so make sure you put aside some cashe for the other things you need.

Other good inclusions in addition to fit include your first service after 6-8 weeks (some will offer free 12 months servicing but Ive never been that lucky!).

If you have never been shown how to change a flat get them to show you BEFORE you have to do it on the road. Then PRACTICE... road tires can be quite hard to get off the rim and change out so better to know the quirks of yuor bike BEFORE you have to do it a 5:30am in the pitch black by the light of your bike light... true story... and while Id had a bit of practice it was a miserable time!!! Especially when I ended up having to do it twice in the one ride!

Cycling can turn into a bottomless pit of spending so try to keep yourself in check, stick to your budget and focus on what you NEED first.

For me I would say you NEED in this order:

1) A helmet

2) A bike

3) A spare pump/tubes and the knowledge on what to do with them

4) Water bottles/bottle holders

5) Saddle bag for keeping the spares in - as well as your cellphone, some cash and ID (DO NOT GO RIDING WITHOUT THEM)

6) Good pair of bike knicks (do NOT wear underwear under them)

After that its up to you.... but I would recommend getting clipless shoes and pedals as soon as you can afford them. They are free speed, help your cycling technique and while a bit awkward to get used to... so so so very worth it! Not essential so not worth goin broke over - they MAY come as part of the package with your bike Even better if thats the case!

If you like numbers etc or need something to keep you honest you might also like to invest in cycle computer... these come from very cheap to very expensive depending on what you want. Speed and distance is good for starters. After that one that connects to your HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) if thats how you train or one with cadence is something yuo might find useful.

Once again if you are just starting yuo dont NEED any of this stuff really but if yuo stick with it over time then its nice to know your options

2009-04-19 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2095757

User image

Champion
Sydney

Sulcus - 2009-04-20 9:06 AM
kaqphin - 2009-04-18 7:01 PM

Hi Dee,

Yeah, I hate trying to exercise when I have really bad PMS - oh wait, I just get the sympathy sweet and salty cravings.  Nevermind.

You probably know this but having a plan had made all the difference for me.  I used to go, try to figure stuff out and not end up with very productive training sessions.  If I didn't go, it was probably because I was too busy procrastinating by trying to put together the perfect workout.

Using Cat's 15 minute trick is brilliant because I know, for me, that the more I actually train, the more I want to keep training.  It has even spilled over into my eating habits because I will look at something and go "that is sooooo not worth an hour on the bike!"

The last thing is that I have been using the training are to keep my measurements.  It is an AWESOME feeling when I record them and see you have lost inches, even if most of it has been in my calves at the moment. 

One other thing I wanted to add - I always ask about your 'plan' however it might not be as complicated as say a BT training plan.

It just means you know where you are going to workout and when plus what yuo are going to do when you get there. Im going to get into this heaps once we start talking about the specific sports but one thing Im going to start doing is every Sunday/Monday write out my plan for the week on my training log so you can all see it.

What you will start to notice is I have a pretty set routine designed to fit all the elements of my training in and then a tweak as needed based on time available, general health levels, social commitments and training partners.

But by having a basic week and workouts that I try to get each time means I always know when I turn up to the pool/park/gym I know what im there for - it also means I dont waste time as I do what Ive got to do and get out of there (very cool!) .

2009-04-19 6:28 PM

User image

Champion
Sydney

Ok - Im now off to what is meant to be a 3 hour meeting... play nice til I return ok?

2009-04-19 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2095791

User image

Expert
Douglaston, NY
kaqphin - 2009-04-19 7:28 PM

Ok - Im now off to what is meant to be a 3 hour meeting... play nice til I return ok?

Aww ma, do we have to?

One thing I forgot to add to the bike conversation until I actually did it yesterday (which I read here somewhere) is that you can get a rough ballpark of your sizing by placing your heel on the peddle.  This technique combined with a curb worked nearly flawlessly for me.

2009-04-19 7:17 PM
in reply to: #2095757

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Sulcus - 2009-04-19 7:06 PM

OK, I have a semi-plan on my blog now. It's really basic there -- but I have more specific details in my head about what I'll be doing. (For example, I know how long I'm going to bike, etc.)

LOL about the calves. That was funny.

And I absolutely agree with Cat's 15 minute trick. I do this all the time.

Voice 1 in my head: "I don't wanna work out today. I just wanna nap. Or eat. And complain about why stupid people get promoted at work."
Voice 2, also in my head: "Welll, how about 15 min? Surely, you can do 15 min."
Voice 1: "Are you trying to trick me?"
Voice 2: "Nooooo!!!!! Would I do that? Of COURSE I wouldn't. Now, get on that bike. You can even complain for the entire 15 minutes."
2009-04-19 7:21 PM
in reply to: #2095842

User image

Champion
Taser-World
Sulcus - 2009-04-19 7:50 PM

kaqphin - 2009-04-19 7:28 PM

Aww ma, do we have to?

One thing I forgot to add to the bike conversation until I actually did it yesterday (which I read here somewhere) is that you can get a rough ballpark of your sizing by placing your heel on the peddle.  This technique combined with a curb worked nearly flawlessly for me.

(I dunno. Do you think she's gone now? We've got THREE whole hours to ourselves. Imagine all the havoc we can.... Uh wait, is she peeking in on us? )

Wait, I'm confused.... How does putting your heel on the pedal give you an idea of the sizing? :-/
2009-04-19 7:23 PM
in reply to: #2093922

User image

Champion
Beautiful Sonoma County
D001 - 2009-04-18 10:55 AM Question for the group: How does everyone keep themselves motivated and avoid getting stuck on a plateau? Does anyone have some "unique training tips" or "mental games" that you use to make workouts more interesting, or to push yourself? For my motivation --> I like the team challenges here. But lately, with work and life being crazy, I find myself putting off my workouts, and not pushing myself as hard as I should. So I need to correct that problem. (Hence my questions above.)

OK, so the very best motivator for me is a race day like today. I went into it knowing I was under-trained. So guess what? It sucked. I never really felt good, and found myself constantly reminding myself that I can't really get upset since it was my own choice NOT to do the workouts.

Seems it's been enough time since the last race like this that I've kinda forgotten how bad they are.

But, that said, it wasn't awful. I didn't cry on the run course, like I have in the past. I just sucked it up and kept going. All while vowing to actually train before the next race.

Edited by madkat 2009-04-19 7:31 PM
2009-04-19 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2095923

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
Madcat,
Good for you for getting out there. What race was it?

OK, so the very best motivator for me is a race day like today. I went into it knowing I was under-trained. So guess what? It sucked. I never really felt good, and found myself constantly reminding myself that I can't really get upset since it was my own choice NOT to do the workouts.

Seems it's been enough time since the last race like this that I've kinda forgotten how bad they are.

But, that said, it wasn't awful. I didn't cry on the run course, like I have in the past. I just sucked it up and kept going. All while vowing to actually train before the next race.

Edited by losta 2009-04-19 9:19 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Super Cats Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 58