BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2009-04-28 9:39 PM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Thanks for all the running advise and support! I  lost my running mojo for a while. Somehow it was connected to the accident, but I haven't really figured it out yet. It's coming back though. Yesterday morning was a great run. It was slow, but I really enjoyed it!

Diana-Enjoy the cookbook! My kids love lots of the recipes in it. My husband jokes that it looks more like a notebook now, because I've written notes on so many of the pages

For the challenge- I'd definately take part in the fruits/veggies one. The no added sugar one is more than I"m willing to tackle right now.

I swam tonight. Did intervals of short distances, holding a fairly fast pace for myself. It was fun and my arms are tired!

2009-04-29 6:39 AM
in reply to: #2117273

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning ladies

Everyone seems generally to be really consistent with their workouts.  If for any reason it just doesn't happen (heh, life's like that sometimes), if you can, just come and do a quick post or log a comment on your log.  That way we know you're OK and can nag/ sympathise with you.  It's also very useful to look back and see patterns.

Sounds like fruits and veg servings is a goer.  The abs/strength one would also be a good one for me as I just don't do that very often (I like to just swim, bike, run!).  Not sure about the same week - maybe add in following week???
Anyway here is a little excerpt about serving sizes I found.  Generally for fruit it's a piece of fruit or what fits into roughly half a cup.  For salad it's a cup and veg about half a cup unless it's leafy bulky (a cup)

Here are some typical serving sizes for fruits and vegetables:

Fruits

• one banana
  • six strawberries
  • two plums
  • fifteen grapes
  • one apple
  • one peach
  • one half cup of orange or other fruit juice
Vegetables
  • five broccoli florets
  • ten baby carrots
  • one roma tomato
  • 3/4 cup tomato juice
  • half of a baked sweet potato
  • one ear of corn
  • four slices of an onion
Have a great day everyone.
2009-04-29 7:10 AM
in reply to: #2117581

User image

Expert
Great! So, when do we start the official challenge? And, how do we track what we're eating?

The weather has cooled off here for today. We're back down to the mid 60's. Oh well. It's still sunny!!
2009-04-29 7:14 AM

User image

Expert

Jackie, the inspire that you left me this morning lead me to a question: ( answers from anyone are good!)

I did a hard swim workout last night. Where should I be feeling it today? Because, I'm definately feeling it in my upper arms, through my pecs, and my back muscles along my ribs.

2009-04-29 7:37 AM

User image

MA
Seeing as I'm moving out of my apt at the end of this week I would vote to start next Monday. I'm trying to finish up whatever food i have currently, which is a somewhat strange array of foods at this pt.
2009-04-29 7:52 AM
in reply to: #2117621

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
After a hard/intense workout that you are not used to it is usual to feel a bit sore and tired (as long as it isn't pain soreness!)   Remember it is the recovery from a hard workout (which breaks down a bit of muscle tissue) that allows your muscles to rebuild and become a bit stronger for next time.   One or even up to 3 days afterwards is common.  Stretching the used muscles after workout and a bit later on sometimes help limit the soreness.
However to answer your specific question then where you are feeling it sounds good to me.  If you can feel it in you lats (top of back muscles) then that indicates to me that you are working your stroke properly (some people use shoulders rather than lats to power through swimming which is not good technique).  Pecs and arms are also natural places to feel it as you are engaging those to work your stroke.
I say good job, let those muscles recover and you have just made yourself a bit of a stronger swimmer.

Let's start the challenge next Monday.  These next few days everyone can just psych themselves up for it and start figuring what they need to do and shop for etc to make it work.  If anyone doesn't want to do it then that is absolutely fine too.

2009-04-29 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Jackie, thanks for the info on muscle soreness. This is definately the good kinda sore. The kind that makes me say "I'm so sore...and I love it!"

in other news: I'm looking at a bike tomorrow and I"m so excited, I can barely sit still! Here's the link
http://burlington.craigslist.org/bik/1145500781.html

Tell me what you think.
I'm hoping it's not too big for me, when I try it. The guy said he'd hold it for me!

Does anyone have experience with these bikes? The price seems really good (to me).

Anyone want to take a road trip to Vermont tomorrow?
2009-04-29 3:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Monday sounds great for a day to start the veggie/fruit challenge. I have been needing to log what I eat for some time now, and maybe this will give me the boost to actually start doing that.
How about we at least write down the number of fruits/veggies servings we ate and then post that number to the group?

Jenny- Yes, I have run many half marathons - 20 or so. When is your half marathon? How is your running now as far as number of runs per week, long run distance, etc? I think 10-11 minute miles is a great pace to aim for during a half marathon. I usually run from aid station to aid station (2 miles apart in most races), then I walk through the aid station while having a drink. I also eat one gel packet at miles 6,8, and 10. I find that will give me enough energy to get through the race without bonking. If I feel really good at mile 10, that is a good point to push your pace for the last 3.1 miles.
Are you following a training plan? www.halhigdon.com has some great training plans for the half marathon distance if you want to take a look.

Sunny and warm today! I am so HAPPY
2009-04-29 3:53 PM
in reply to: #2119039

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
My race is May 17th. I have been running 2-3 days/week, one of those being soccer (I count those as my tempo runs, since indoor soccer is non-stop sprinting pretty much). My longest distance to date is 7 miles, and I have an 8 mile this week and a 9 mile after that. I am following a running plan from Runner's World - it was based off my 5k time. I guess I'm a little nervous about the idea of running 13.1 miles after only getting up to 9, but a lot of people told me I'll be fine. Thanks for the advice on the gel- I didn't even think about that! I usually use the Accel-gel (I like the kiwi-strawberry) during my triathlons. What is the longest run you did before your race?
Jenny
2009-04-29 7:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
When I first starting doing half marathons, my longest run was 11 miles.
You will be fine with a 9 mile run, although you may need a few extra recovery days after the race.
2009-04-29 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Di, good luck finishing off your week and food!

food, hmmph, I'll be on travel this weekend, can I have a handicap on the eating healthy challenge?!  Who, knows maybe it'll be easy, but generally I find eating with my relatives in OH to be way less healthy than my usual.  Fortunately we have our own 'condo' so can shop to feed ourselves somewhat separate from the relations. 

The kids are both off, still.  Neither is really eating, or drinking, but both have plenty of spark and energy so ???  Who knows what bug they picked up. I'm hoping I avoid it - who wants GI issues on an airplane?!  Hmph, I hope they're done with their issues too, it's no fun having the seatbelt light turn on right when your 2 or 4yo announces a potty need.  I might get the 2yo to accept a diaper, but no way on the 4yo!  I'll need a vacation when I return.

No run today - I was up from 3-6AM with the 4yo and then had preschool duties so the day was shot well before noon.  tomorrow I hope to make it to the gym in the morning if the kids' health holds and will do another swim/bike.  I may wear my running shoes on the plane and bring shorts/T for a run in OH; dunno if I have room to pack it, I'm trying to go with only one carryon, two carseats, two kids, and a backpack with inflight food/entertainment.  crazy woman am I?

Anyway, I'll have minimal/no web acess Fri-Tues so don't think I've succombed to the swine flu if I'm quiet, hopefully it's only overwhelmed with family issues :P

I'll try to pop on tomorrow as I'm frantically getting final bags packed!

-Cynthia

2009-04-30 6:35 AM

User image

Expert
Cynthia- I hope your kiddos feel better today! It's no fun when they're sick. I can feel the "Mom's getting ready for a family trip" stress from here!
2009-04-30 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2119943

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning ladies
Today is the day (well evening) I get back into the pool after 2 weeks. I hate this first session back as I always feel like I'm flapping around like a fish out of water.  On the other side of things (most annoyingly in an excellent way) I'm helping my neighbour train for her first tri in June and she used to be a swimmer but hasn't been swimming for years.  So she got back in the pool a couple of weeks ago and had no problem with lap after lap after lap.  When I did that a few (plus some) years ago I spent the first few weeks alternating free/ breast just so I could breathe!  Great for her but just goes to show how different people react.

Cynthia, so sorry to hear your kids are still sick.  That's a real bummer especially with travelling to plan.  Hang in there.  I vote for wearing your running shoes (plus running shorts and T shirt) in case you have time to get out over the weekend.  Even a 15-20min run would keep your training going and may even help destress you.  A maybe useful tip -when I am trying to squeeze a run in with hectic family time then I often take my shoes, wear my sports bra and get hubby to drop me off a couple of miles from home when we're driving back from somewhere and I run home.

Heidi, good luck with very exciting bike shopping.  I couldn't get the link up but wouldn't be much help really anyway.  I leave that to the experts at bike shops.   Fit is important though - do you have someone there able to make sure the size is right for you or do you know what size you are looking for.  Personally if you get the right frame size and are comfortable on the bike then I think you can adjust a host of other thing to get a perfect fit if necessary.  Not sure bike guru's would agree and as I said I'm no expert.  Have fun!

Jenny, if you are following a good running plan for your half marathon then don't worry about not being up to mileage.  We are lucky to have Dee as our resident expert runner advisor and I'd add that I think the adrenaline on the day will carry you through those few extra miles.  I am also going to add and emphasise what Dee said about walking aid stations.  When I started my IM training one of my goals was to run the marathon at the end.  It's a mental thing.  My coach at the time eventually convinced me that walking aid stations was OK and even my long training runs incorporated training for that.  I remember going for 3+ hours as a run 10min, walk 1min, repeat.  I hated it at first (I felt I was failing by walking, enforced or not) but it makes sense really and even top athletes do it in Ironman races.  Walking through aid stations allows you to get that hydration, nutrition into your body much more easily than on the run.  So don't be afraid to do that if you need/want to.
2009-04-30 6:43 AM
in reply to: #2120102

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Heidi
OOoo I can get that bike link up now.  If it's as nice as it sounds it looks like a really good deal.  How exciting!
2009-04-30 7:44 AM

User image

Regular
Morning all! I'm down for the fruit and vegetable challenge, starting Monday. I think it's a really great thing for all of us to focus on!

Cynthia - good luck with the kids. Seriously, all you moms are superheroes.  We just don't admit it until we've made it to our twenties, laughs.

Heidi!  That's so exciting about your new bike!

The weather here is fantastic - in the mid 60s today.  It's normally a run day for me, but for some reason, every part of my body aches.  I think it might be from spending the vast majority of the last 48 hours hunched over my desk.  I'm considering a swim instead - a real one, that's more than a quick half mile in the pool.  A warm up.  Maybe some intervals.  I haven't done this since the summer, so it should be fun!  I just wish there were an outdoor pool here.

Hope everyone has a great day!
2009-04-30 10:32 AM

User image

Master
Heidi - How did I miss the message that you're bike shopping?!  Looks lovely!   I ride a 54 "mens" road bike.  I'm 5'9.5"... I forget what my bike inseam is.  I did need to get a shorter stem (I'm not very flexible) and my seat is at the limit adjusted forward but otherwise I'm golden.  Find a good LBS for a fitting.  My shop set me up for a bargain, now I feel bad I haven't spent more money there yet.

Both kids, and therefore me, slept the night through.  I think we'll head to the gym in a half hour and I'll get my swim/bike done. yeah!

-Cynthia

2009-04-30 2:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Cynthia- I hope your trip goes well and that your kids feel better. I hear you about it being hard to eat healthy when you visit family. We are traveling to Indiana for 10 days end of June-early July and I have to make an extra effort to stay away from the hordes of junk food and sweets on the counters. Maybe it is a midwest thing? Definitely take your running shoes! I will sneak out at 6 am to run before the heat and humidity both take me down when I'm back in IN.

Heidi- how fun! New toys are a blast.

Thanks for the kudos on my running background. I am not very fast, but I have done a ton of races. Some really nutty races too, like the time we ran through the Platte River and then a swamp in February in Colorado. My mother in law was visiting that weekend, so we dragged her up to see the race, and the look on her face when we all went through the river instead of over the bridge was classic! Gotta love it!

2009-04-30 4:03 PM

User image

Master
It's nice to see the difference of a year... now to make May's numbers more impressive

2008 April:
S: 2830.00 Yd
B: 69.90 Mi - 4h 28m 25s
R: 14.60 Mi - 3h 03m 30s

2009 April:
S: 7200.00 Yd
B: 114.35 Mi - 5h 44m 55s
R: 22.71 Mi - 4h 47m 10s
2009-04-30 6:09 PM
in reply to: #2121830

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
So work has once again gotten in the way of my running...arggh. I am getting a little nervous about the half marathon. I got stuck at work late today because of last minute changes in practice times (gotta love coaches who tell the athletic trainer last, oh by the way, we're practicing at 5:30 today instead of 3:30). So I won't be getting my 7 miler in today, and I think I'm going to have to scrap it since I have my next long run on Sunday and I want time to recover. I have another soccer game tonight, so at least I'll get a workout in.
One bright moment today- one of my students called and told me that he found out today that he passed his board exam for athletic training. He told me thank you and how much I had helped him prepare and how much he learned from working with me. Working in a profession with long hectic hours and hardly ever hearing a thank you, that really meant a lot. It made me feel better.
I think I am going to try and relax this afternoon and spend a couple hours with my husband before I head to soccer. It's VERY rare that we are home at the same time! (Although he is "sick" and thinks he has the swine flu...)
How was everyone else's day?
Jenny
2009-05-01 6:39 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!

I'm running late getting ready for work, but I'll catch up with yesterdays posts later.

Cynthia-have a safe trip.
Di-if your packing and busy for the weekend, good luck!

The bike was a joke. It was very mirepresented on CL (IMO). But the day was great! My Mom went with me, we took the kids to an awesome science museum, and it was a beautiful ride.
2009-05-01 8:05 AM
in reply to: #2123002

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Morning everyone
I got that "swim after having not swum for a while" out of the way.  I'm always hopeful that it will feel fine but I still felt like a slug.  Oh well, I know it gets better from here.  We have a weekend session (sunday) in a 50m pool which should be fun.  I haven't swum in one of those since I was a kid and one of our opposing teams had one.

Heidi, so frustrating and annoying about the bike.  Tell us more!  I'm glad you had  a nice day out though.

Hope everyone has  a good weekend and nice weather to get out and train.  We have baseball and more baseball and more baseball tomorrow with Opening day for our little league - pictures, parade, party, and then a game.

Jackie

2009-05-01 10:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
So I completely tanked on my swim last night- any advice on what to do when you lose all steam and your stroke gets really sloppy?
I did a super long endurance swim (2650), which is bit out of my long swim range, but I wanted to give it a shot.
I was feeling great until the last 5 x 100 set, when I lost all speed and felt like my stroke was more of a survival stroke than a nice smooth crawl.
I tried to focus more on my breathing and slowed my pace considerably.
Any tips?
On a good note, I feel pretty good this morning. I am sore in a good way.

What's up this weekend for everyone?
I think I will take today off. We are hiking up the Incline tomorrow morning - an old Incline railroad that still has the railroad ties. I think its 1.25 miles to the top- basically a stairclimber set on crazy. Then a fun 3 mile run back down Barr Trail.
The family is meeting me after my run for breakfast at this super yummy all-natural restaurant.
Some kind of ride on Sunday, hopefully around 90 minutes. It is supposed to rain all weekend again, so I signed up for a spin class just in case. Oh, and some strength training this weekend also.

Have a great weekend!
2009-05-02 9:53 AM

User image

Regular
Dee - I think the best thing you can do when you're in the pool and you're exhausted is a) switch strokes or b) really relax.  This is slightly counter-intuitive for most land-athletes, but the truth is the less you fight the water, the easier it is.  Focus on keeping your neck long and flat, spotting a point on the pool bottom, clearing just your mouth on your breaths (instead of launching your upper body out of the pool, a common problem), and reaching with each stroke.  You can feel stretched from your finger tips all the way through your lower back on each stroke, but then, save your strength and pull back gently.  When done correctly, this can feel really smooth and powerful, but moderately paced and without too much painful effort.  But like I said first, alternating every other lap with backstroke or throwing in a 50 of breast stroke switches the muscles you're working and helps you loosen up.  In fact, in order to balance the muscles in your shoulders and avoid injury, it's important to do some backstroke in every work out anyway.  A mistake I've made badly in the past : )

And that's my weekend sermon on swimming!  I'm not packing this weekend - I just survived my last set of midterms; finals is still two weeks in my future.  I'm working on projects for the next two weeks, but should be more present. 

Going to buy veggies for next week!  Have a great weekend, everyone.  Dee - the breakfast place you've described reminds me of home.  Sometimes I really miss CA.  Laughs.

Rachel - you're moving in this weekend, correct?  Mind if I ask where?  Welcome to Boston! 
2009-05-02 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2125410

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
It sure is quiet around here.  Hope everyone is having a great weekend and enjoying some nice weather - and even training in it!

Dee - that sounds like a fun (???) hike
Just to add my 2c on swimming.  When you feel your form go then do not continue as you were.  The last thing you want to do is practice a bad stroke.
You mentioned it was a long endurance swim but you were clearly doing intervals in there.  Do you think nutrition/ hydration may have been an issue? - I mention it cos you mentioned the word "tanked" which suggests a sudden lack of energy.
Changing strokes like Di suggested is good, as is slowing down and focusing.
If it's not an energy thing then another good thing to do is to start doing some drills which makes you focus on your stroke technique even though you may be tired.
However if it doesn't improve - get out and call it a day.  Not every work out can feel wonderful.  I find that hard to do at a pool cos it is more of an effort to get there but I have done it a couple of times in the past.
2009-05-02 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Well, the hike this morning did not happen. I woke up to 38 degrees, rain, and dense fog. So I climbed back into bed and went out to breakfast instead. It will be miracle if I even work out today-I am in one of those "chill out" moods.

I don't think my swim issue was due to hydration/fueling. I say this because it was an evening workout a couple hours after dinner. In the mornings, I have to be careful to take some sports drink with me. I think my body just got tired. I will try to change up my stroke if that happens again, or just call it a day. I've been kind of tired for a couple days now, so maybe I am fighting off a cold, which could be a huge contributing factor to the tanking thing.

Hoping for a spin class in the morning. It's supposed to be raining still - us Coloradans do not like the rain. It seems like a very very wet spring for us.

Dee
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27