BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-06-02 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2187772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
Subject: RE: kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!!

Perfect:  that is a good suit as long as it fits you well.  very slick in the water.  aerodynamic on the bike.  and you won't have to do a thing with clothing in transition.

Edited by kenaxford 2009-06-02 8:59 AM

2009-06-02 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2082508

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Thanks! I felt like it was pretty good for my first tri... It was a good, fast course. Here are my results:

Overall time: 1:29:39 (329 of 449 overall  17 of 23 Clydesdales)
Swim: 7:24
T1: 4:08
Bike: 43:32
T2: 1:36
Run: 33:01

I also posted a race report.

I really enjoyed the experience. It was extremely rewarding to have completed my first tri! I was also impressed by how supportive everyone was. Both fellow competitors on the course and folks already finished were out cheering everyone on. They even stopped the awards ceremony a handful of times to cheer on the last few finishers. It was a really nice community atmosphere! I'm really looking forward to the next one.
2009-06-02 10:19 AM
in reply to: #2188866

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
mattierocks - 2009-06-02 9:59 AM Thanks! I felt like it was pretty good for my first tri... It was a good, fast course. Here are my results:

Overall time: 1:29:39 (329 of 449 overall  17 of 23 Clydesdales)
Swim: 7:24
T1: 4:08
Bike: 43:32
T2: 1:36
Run: 33:01

I also posted a race report.

I really enjoyed the experience. It was extremely rewarding to have completed my first tri! I was also impressed by how supportive everyone was. Both fellow competitors on the course and folks already finished were out cheering everyone on. They even stopped the awards ceremony a handful of times to cheer on the last few finishers. It was a really nice community atmosphere! I'm really looking forward to the next one.

Mattie, Nice Job and Congratulations!  When is tri#2 ?
2009-06-02 12:52 PM

User image

Arlington
Hey Ken-

Any thoughts on spacing out races? At the beginning of the season I signed up for a sprint in April (which I did) and an Olympic in Sept. (the 13th). I'd like to do another this summer. A town nearby is running an International on August 15th. Do you see any problem running two international distance tris a month apart?

Edited by Kurtie 2009-06-02 12:52 PM
2009-06-02 2:22 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Mainer22 - 2009-06-02 10:19 AM

Mattie, Nice Job and Congratulations!  When is tri#2 ?

Thanks Mainer! Tri #2 hopefully will be the Charlottesville International put on by the Charlottesville Tri Club (Of which I'm a member) of at the end of July. I've just really got to work on my swim!

What's your next race? Have you made any big equipment purchases yet?
2009-06-02 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
I have a question for Ken and everyone else as well...

What kind of food/etc do you all like for taking in calories on long bike rides? Like 5+ hour bike rides? I use GU Gels, but I find that I also need solid foods as well to keep me going. I need to experiment with stuff I can carry with me, but am not sure what. Power bars? Clif bars? Those honey stick things? Granola bars? Trail mix?

So again, what do you guys do or use?

Edited by mattierocks 2009-06-02 4:44 PM

2009-06-02 2:33 PM
in reply to: #2189854

User image

Arlington
Mattie-

Is that a trail run with the C'ville tri?  I need to pick a mid-summer event.  If not Culpeper or Luray, was looking at C'ville.

Are your doing the cable swim on the 11th at Chris Greene Lake?
2009-06-02 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2189895

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Yes, it is a trail run with all the C'Ville tris!

I wasn't even aware of the swim. What's the deal with that?
2009-06-02 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2189922

User image

Arlington
don't have the full scoop but here's the website.  i thought in lieu of a full tri, would be a great opportunity for open water practice.  and the fee is pretty low.

http://www.cableswim.org/

there's another same day on Maryland's eastern shore. http://www.swimdcac.org/Swim4Life.html

i live midway between both.
2009-06-02 8:22 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Woah... I didn't even know about that swim. I need to get my butt in gear (swimwise) and see if I can do that one.

Definitely let me know if you come down for the International. What race are you doing before that?
2009-06-02 8:25 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Oh, and by the way...

GO HOKIES!

Did you go to Tech? I graduated from there in 2001.

2009-06-02 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2190777

User image

Arlington
mattierocks - 2009-06-02 9:25 PM Oh, and by the way...

GO HOKIES!

will definitely let you know if i make it to c'ville for any events.  heck, i'll let you know if i head down there for beers. 

i don't have any races lined up in the next few weeks.  c'ville, culpeper or luray would be it.  the biggee for me this season is the Nation's Tri in DC.  so i've been looking for open water swims and sprints that i can use for experience (and the fun!).  my early season tri was at Lake Anna.  i'm comfortable in the water, def my strong sport but i'm not so good on the bike.  i'm kinda pokey there -- sounds like that's where you kick it.

didn't go to Tech but have been adopted into a tailgate.  head down to blacksburg for games a couple times a season; went to the Cornhuskers game in Lincoln this past season and have gone to a couple bowl games.  so i'm hooked.  love me some blacksburg and tech.  go hokies!
2009-06-02 9:07 PM
in reply to: #2189536

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

Kurtie - 2009-06-02 11:52 AM Hey Ken-

Any thoughts on spacing out races? At the beginning of the season I signed up for a sprint in April (which I did) and an Olympic in Sept. (the 13th). I'd like to do another this summer. A town nearby is running an International on August 15th. Do you see any problem running two international distance tris a month apart?

no prblem at all.  that is plenty of time to recover and still taper a bit if you wanted too.

2009-06-02 9:11 PM
in reply to: #2189864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-02 1:25 PM I have a question for Ken and everyone else as well...

What kind of food/etc do you all like for taking in calories on long bike rides? Like 5+ hour bike rides? I use GU Gels, but I find that I also need solid foods as well to keep me going. I need to experiment with stuff I can carry with me, but am not sure what. Power bars? Clif bars? Those honey stick things? Granola bars? Trail mix?

So again, what do you guys do or use?

Hery Mattie...

first of all, congrats on the race.  It sounds like it was a solid day.  Secondly, If solid food is what you are looking for, I really like gnar bars.  they are a smal company, but made from natural products.  One of the biggest benefits is that they slide out of the wrapper very easy so it's a sinch to eat while you ride.  Power bars either melt or stick to the wrapper.  cliff bars are ok, but lots of oats and things that take time to digest.  Check out this website for more info.  http://www.gnarbars.com/

2009-06-03 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2190807

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
Kurtie - 2009-06-02 8:49 PM
mattierocks - 2009-06-02 9:25 PM Oh, and by the way...

GO HOKIES!

will definitely let you know if i make it to c'ville for any events.  heck, i'll let you know if i head down there for beers. 

i don't have any races lined up in the next few weeks.  c'ville, culpeper or luray would be it.  the biggee for me this season is the Nation's Tri in DC.  so i've been looking for open water swims and sprints that i can use for experience (and the fun!).  my early season tri was at Lake Anna.  i'm comfortable in the water, def my strong sport but i'm not so good on the bike.  i'm kinda pokey there -- sounds like that's where you kick it.

didn't go to Tech but have been adopted into a tailgate.  head down to blacksburg for games a couple times a season; went to the Cornhuskers game in Lincoln this past season and have gone to a couple bowl games.  so i'm hooked.  love me some blacksburg and tech.  go hokies!

Awesome! The C'Ville sprint is June 21, and it's basically a shorter version of the international. Open water, trail run and all. The only thing about down here is the bike courses can get a little hilly.  Not that any of my events are super fast, but the bike is definitely my strongest at this point. The secret? I rode on the Blue Ridge Parkway one weekend. The ride almost killed me, but then all those hills that used to get to me didn't seem so big any more! Also I've been training for the MS150 on June 13-14.

Nation's Tri huh? You're brave to swim in the Potomac!
2009-06-03 8:02 AM
in reply to: #2190856

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
kenaxford - 2009-06-02 9:11 PM

Hery Mattie...

first of all, congrats on the race.  It sounds like it was a solid day.  Secondly, If solid food is what you are looking for, I really like gnar bars.  they are a smal company, but made from natural products.  One of the biggest benefits is that they slide out of the wrapper very easy so it's a sinch to eat while you ride.  Power bars either melt or stick to the wrapper.  cliff bars are ok, but lots of oats and things that take time to digest.  Check out this website for more info.  http://www.gnarbars.com/

Thanks Ken! For my first tri I would say that it definitely was a pretty solid day for me. I had no major mistakes or mishaps and my times on the 3 events were fairly consistent with my training. Which is slow, but I'm working on it!

Thanks for the Gnar Bar recommendation. I'm going to try to get the samples and check them out. What do you usually do on long rides and races? Gels?

Among many other books I'm looking at, I'm reading Base Building for Cyclists, and one thing that stood out was the author's saying that you should take in 100-300 calories per hour while on the bike. Since I'm the size of two small to average cyclists, I'd do the upper end of that and am trying to figure out what's best, so I'm looking for things to experiment with...

2009-06-03 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2191327

User image

Arlington
mattierocks - 2009-06-03 8:57 AM

Nation's Tri huh? You're brave to swim in the Potomac!

Aw, don't be hatin' on the Potomac...it's really not so bad -- especially on a hot day. Just best to avoid it after a big rain.
2009-06-03 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2191340

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-03 7:02 AM
kenaxford - 2009-06-02 9:11 PM

. I'm going to try to get the samples and check them out. What do you usually do on long rides and races? Gels?

Among many other books I'm looking at, I'm reading Base Building for Cyclists, and one thing that stood out was the author's saying that you should take in 100-300 calories per hour while on the bike. Since I'm the size of two small to average cyclists, I'd do the upper end of that and am trying to figure out what's best, so I'm looking for things to experiment with...

i usually tell my male athletes to start at 300 calories per hour.  That includes fluid, gels, and or solid food.  I don't recommend solid food unless you are doing an ironman distance race or you just get really hungry.  It takes longer to digest and could cause upset tummy.  I think fluid and gels are best and use solid food sparingly as needed.  (if at all)  Another item to think about is how much fluid you are sweating out.  this needs to be replaced.  Jump on your scale both before and after your long workouts to determine an approximate sweat rate.  16 ounces of lfuid = 1 pound  you can claculate an hourly sweat rate to make it easy. 

Example:  If I did a 2 hour ride and drank 32 ounces of fluid, but came home 1 pound lighter...   I would estimate that I need to drink 24 ounces per hour to maintain proper hydration.  Then I can use this amount and combine with my caloric needs to find a good combination. 

Example:  If I want 300 calories and I now know that I need to drink 24 ounces per hour...   I might drink one 16 ounce bottle of GU2O worth 100 calories, a half bottle of water (for the other 8 ounces) and 2 gels (worth 200 calories)

Did that make sense?

Edited by kenaxford 2009-06-03 11:24 AM
2009-06-03 12:42 PM

User image

Regular
Ruckersville
That does make sense... I know I need to watch both my calories and fluids on the bike. I tend to sweat a lot. I mentioned a Blue Ridge Parkway ride (Mountains... Maybe not Colorado mountains, but still mountains!) I did about a month ago. It was a relatively warm day, or at least warmer than I was accustomed to at that point. The heat and hills took a toll and I got a massive cramp in one of my quads. Now I wear a camelbak and keep two bottles on my bike. One water, one sports drink.

I'm traveling to North Carolina this weekend and will likely do a couple of rides in the 4-6 hour range, so I wanted to experiment with some stuff on the bike.
2009-06-03 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2192234

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

mattierocks - 2009-06-03 11:42 AM That does make sense... I know I need to watch both my calories and fluids on the bike. I tend to sweat a lot. I mentioned a Blue Ridge Parkway ride (Mountains... Maybe not Colorado mountains, but still mountains!) I did about a month ago. It was a relatively warm day, or at least warmer than I was accustomed to at that point. The heat and hills took a toll and I got a massive cramp in one of my quads. Now I wear a camelbak and keep two bottles on my bike. One water, one sports drink.

I'm traveling to North Carolina this weekend and will likely do a couple of rides in the 4-6 hour range, so I wanted to experiment with some stuff on the bike.

I'm jealous:  my alma mater (sp?) is Appalachian State.  I started my tri career at the Boone sprint triathlon.  i've done many a workout on the Blue ridge parkway.  Colorado is awesome, but NC has a place in my heart for sure.  I'm almost gettin teary eyed just thinking about it

Edited by kenaxford 2009-06-03 3:25 PM
2009-06-05 11:23 AM

Wow...how difficult it is to NOT want to jump right in after an injury before fully recovered and compete. As I told you earlier this week, I ran a 10K after a quad injury and did alright for a grouper. However, played an intense game of softball a few days later and aggrevated the injury big time! Although I'm feeling better, when I try to do my regular workout, I'm feeling like I'm only regressing and the injury's not getting better. I've got my first tri coming up at the end of this month, the Torn Shirt Xterra in northern Michigan, and looking forward to it. Any suggestions for speeding the healing process along? Ben Gay has made some serious $$$ off of me these past couple of weeks. Noetheless, I'm thinkin that it's really a matter of time and recovery but might have overlooked something simple.

2009-06-06 7:20 AM
in reply to: #2197345

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

weber02 - 2009-06-05 10:23 AM Wow...how difficult it is to NOT want to jump right in after an injury before fully recovered and compete. As I told you earlier this week, I ran a 10K after a quad injury and did alright for a grouper. However, played an intense game of softball a few days later and aggrevated the injury big time! Although I'm feeling better, when I try to do my regular workout, I'm feeling like I'm only regressing and the injury's not getting better. I've got my first tri coming up at the end of this month, the Torn Shirt Xterra in northern Michigan, and looking forward to it. Any suggestions for speeding the healing process along? Ben Gay has made some serious $$$ off of me these past couple of weeks. Noetheless, I'm thinkin that it's really a matter of time and recovery but might have overlooked something simple.

without knowing the true nature of the injury or cause of pain:  time off. 

I know that's hard with a race coming up, but that's my 2 cents.

2009-06-06 12:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maine
so by now we've all been training for a bit....

what is your order of events, "most favorite" down to "least favorite"
or what do you love training for and what do have to talk yourself into training for?

For me, i'd say swim then bike then run

i've been surprised by the quick jumps in both speed and endurance i'm developing in the swim.  recovery time is quick, as non-impact, and there's a sauna at my pool which makes a nice finish.

I like cycling, however have continued to feel discomfort in my upper left calf just behind where the knee bends...i'm thinking it's tight hamstrings (fitness related) or incorrect bike fit (equipment related)....I dropped my seat a fraction the other day and still hurts, although now it seems like my arse is almost falling off the backside of the seat so I think I'm going to have to slide it back a fraction now too. 

I've always barely tolerated running and no surprise, it's hard to convince myself to log the running hours....trying to work on it though

my first race is in about a month...i'm shooting for MOP/FOP swim and bike, and hold on as much as I can for the run....

Edited by Mainer22 2009-06-06 12:05 PM
2009-06-07 12:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO

I'm tweaking the rules a bit so I can put more detail in my answer:

1.  mountain bike  2.  road bike  3.   run  4.  swim

2009-06-08 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2199053

User image

New user
Mainer22 - 2009-06-06 12:03 PM so by now we've all been training for a bit....

what is your order of events, "most favorite" down to "least favorite"
or what do you love training for and what do have to talk yourself into training for?

Well, 1) Road Bike 2) Mountain Bike 3) Swim  4) Run... I don't like running, Oh I'm training but don't like it. And I'm probably doing better in that the other two, go figure.

Hey, check this out.  I have struggled a lot with my swim, too dang slow.  So I've been concentrating on that the past two weeks even did some open water swimming at the lake.  I think I have some break thru or something. I'm relaxing more and going faster.  Am I just getting stronger? I don't know but I have quit trying to be faster just quieter.  Anybody else have some pointers on this?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » kenaxford's Group - Closed and kickin' tale !!! Rss Feed  

of 11