General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-09-12 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2401697

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Subject: RE: Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009
kcovert1 - 2009-09-11 3:07 PM
gymgirlx - 2009-09-11 10:41 AM oo!! I found Amy's organic hot pockets at the grocery store. VERY tasty! 310 caloires, 12 grams of protein and 4 or 5 grams of fiber ( can't remember). Last few days have been good . Laraa bars have NO added sugar. GOOD STUFF!!!

Rachel, Larabars are my favorite!!  Have you tried the new tropical one?  So good!!

Thanks to you, Kelly these are now my fave also!  The only kind I've been able to find in the Commissary are the date/cashew and apple ones but I keep my eye out for them when in other stores ~ tropical sounds yummy!

2009-09-12 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2351616

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Wow, tough day for me, but I made it. 

We had our annual block party today, and I made a huge pan of amazing brownies.  I made it through without one lick of a spoon, without eating one crumb while cutting them up, and I also managed to avoid the cookies, cupcakes, and s'mores that I helped my kids make!!!  I think I am turning a corner, and actually becoming a healthy eater at heart, as opposed to the pseudo-healthy eater that secretly craves junk all the time!!

This was so huge for me today, i might have to buy myself a tri treat as a reward.  Any ideas??
2009-09-13 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2402709

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
kcovert1 - 2009-09-12 9:59 PM Wow, tough day for me, but I made it. 

We had our annual block party today, and I made a huge pan of amazing brownies.  I made it through without one lick of a spoon, without eating one crumb while cutting them up, and I also managed to avoid the cookies, cupcakes, and s'mores that I helped my kids make!!!  I think I am turning a corner, and actually becoming a healthy eater at heart, as opposed to the pseudo-healthy eater that secretly craves junk all the time!!

This was so huge for me today, i might have to buy myself a tri treat as a reward.  Any ideas??

Great job, Kelly!!!!  That whole not licking the spoon thing is especially though!  I had to withstand that one about a week ago when I made brownies to thank someone for a favor they did for me.  It was probably the biggest temptation I have fought off so far!!!  I have a few big ticket items on my list as tri rewards for myself, but I don't think I've earned them yet - new fancy, comfy bike shoes, and prescription racing glasses with different tints.  Hmmm.  Let's see.  What about an aero helmet, if you don't already have one, or a new tri-suit/shorts? 

I wonder what I could do to earn a brand new fancy-shmancy tri-bike?  I'll have to work on that one!!!!
2009-09-13 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
I also wanted to report on my racing experience today.  I did a half-marathon up on Maryland and set a PR.  In spite of the fact that I am still a good 15+ pounds away from what I would consider to be my ideal racing weight, thanks to healthier eating and a lot of training, I felt great today!

And the best part was, that even if I could have had sugar after the race, and even though there was a Hagen Daaz store at the finish line, nothing sugary even sounded good to me!  I was very happy with water, fruit, a little bagel, and an egg w/some breakfast potatoes (yeah - pretty good for post race food, huh?  They also had hoagies, pizza, and baked ziti for those whose stomachs could handle more than mine could!)  I got a free post-race massage which was a WAY better reward than any kind of edible treat!  I will have to add that to my race routine in the future.

On the way home, I got my favorite from Carabou - medium skim latte and then my husband and I stopped at Whole Foods for a little shopping. I found sushi that used brown rice that did NOT have sugar in the top three ingredients.  Yay!  I also got an assortment of salads from thier cool salad bar - tofu and veggies, salmon nicoise salad, and roasted veggies - for later.  My "treat" was a slice of breakfast pizza that he and I split (it had bacon, egg, and cheese on it!).  I also stocked up on Honey Crisp apples.  Those things are so juicy and sweet, they are like dessert all by themselves!

It was a fun and sugar-free day!!!
2009-09-13 3:29 PM
in reply to: #2403289

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
carteroak - 2009-09-13 2:55 PM I also wanted to report on my racing experience today.  I did a half-marathon up on Maryland and set a PR.  In spite of the fact that I am still a good 15+ pounds away from what I would consider to be my ideal racing weight, thanks to healthier eating and a lot of training, I felt great today!

And the best part was, that even if I could have had sugar after the race, and even though there was a Hagen Daaz store at the finish line, nothing sugary even sounded good to me!  I was very happy with water, fruit, a little bagel, and an egg w/some breakfast potatoes (yeah - pretty good for post race food, huh?  They also had hoagies, pizza, and baked ziti for those whose stomachs could handle more than mine could!)  I got a free post-race massage which was a WAY better reward than any kind of edible treat!  I will have to add that to my race routine in the future.

On the way home, I got my favorite from Carabou - medium skim latte and then my husband and I stopped at Whole Foods for a little shopping. I found sushi that used brown rice that did NOT have sugar in the top three ingredients.  Yay!  I also got an assortment of salads from thier cool salad bar - tofu and veggies, salmon nicoise salad, and roasted veggies - for later.  My "treat" was a slice of breakfast pizza that he and I split (it had bacon, egg, and cheese on it!).  I also stocked up on Honey Crisp apples.  Those things are so juicy and sweet, they are like dessert all by themselves!

Congrats on the PR, Carla!!  I'm so impressed that you ran right by the ice cream!! 

I also love Honey Crisp apples, they are my absolute favorite, and in NY we are in the middle of apple country, so we can get them right of the tree at an orchard about 5 min. from our house.

I'm definitely not getting an aero helmet--I'm not fast enough yet, and I think they look hysterically goofy.  I'm thinking some cool arm warmers for fall.

I would say 12 weeks of no-sugar without any dings (or a very low amount) plus a registration for a long race next summer would earn you a new bike, no??
2009-09-13 5:41 PM

So I used my mulligan yesterday. Rough week but I managed to stay clean until yesterday afternoon when I caved. It was purely emotional which kills me the most. Now I feel gross. Felt gross afterward and even feel nasty this morning(I live in Japan so its morning here already). I guess I just need to remember this feeling and that although sugar tastes good for a moment they make me feel like blah.So do we record our one freebee on the spreadsheet or not?

2009-09-14 2:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
I had a dream last night that I accidentally ate jelly beans!!  So funny, because if I were going to eat sugar I would definitely not choose jelly beans!   I woke up feeling incredibly guilty, and have been thinking about it all day.
2009-09-14 3:07 PM
in reply to: #2403624

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
DEK1106 - 2009-09-13 6:41 PM So I used my mulligan yesterday. Rough week but I managed to stay clean until yesterday afternoon when I caved. It was purely emotional which kills me the most. Now I feel gross. Felt gross afterward and even feel nasty this morning(I live in Japan so its morning here already). I guess I just need to remember this feeling and that although sugar tastes good for a moment they make me feel like blah.So do we record our one freebee on the spreadsheet or not?

It is amazing how more acutely you notice how sugary stuff makes you feel after not having it for a while!  Anyway, yes you mark it on the spreadsheet.  You can put it under your name along with the date that it was used.
2009-09-15 9:32 AM

New user

I'm not officially part of the challenge, but I'm following from home. I hope you guys don't mind me butting in. What's the opinion on Kefir? The 3rd ingredient is "organic cane juice." That puts it out of the running regardless of proportions, doesn't it? I do use it as a recovery drink from time to time (easiest way for me to get some protein in) but I guess this means no drinking it outside of the exercise window. No big loss for me really -- I actually don't like it that much (it's a little too close to milk which I loathe). I just considered it an easy, healthy snack. Perhaps not so healthy, depending on the perspective?
2009-09-15 3:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
I think there is plain kefir available, which, like plain yogurt, would be fine.  You could make it into a smoothie w/peices of frozen fruit, and a little all-natural fruit juice to make it more tasty.  I think kefir is supposed to be really good for you and I would like to drink it more often myself, but it seemed to cause some lower GI unpleasantries for me.  : (  Now, I go for plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit as a post-training recovery snack.
2009-09-15 7:36 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Found out today that Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce has HFCS in it as its second ingredient. Discovered this when making a favorite chicken marinade recipe. But the marinade was fine without it, and even my husband commented how good the chicken tasted. 

2009-09-15 7:42 PM
in reply to: #2402709

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
kcovert1 - 2009-09-12 3:59 PM Wow, tough day for me, but I made it. 

Kelly, not even licking the spoon is an AMAZING feat!!!  I DO NOT bake for that reason alone!

Ooooh, I want one of those cool ring lap counters...I currently use a bag of rocks and move them from one pile to the other after every 100m!
2009-09-15 7:46 PM
in reply to: #2403289

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
carteroak - 2009-09-13 8:55 AM I also wanted to report on my racing experience today.  I did a half-marathon up on Maryland and set a PR.  In spite of the fact that I am still a good 15+ pounds away from what I would consider to be my ideal racing weight, thanks to healthier eating and a lot of training, I felt great today!

Congrats on your PR Karla!!  That is awesome!
2009-09-15 7:48 PM
in reply to: #2407014

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
BlueGreen - 2009-09-15 4:32 AM I'm not officially part of the challenge, but I'm following from home. I hope you guys don't mind me butting in. What's the opinion on Kefir? The 3rd ingredient is "organic cane juice." That puts it out of the running regardless of proportions, doesn't it? I do use it as a recovery drink from time to time (easiest way for me to get some protein in) but I guess this means no drinking it outside of the exercise window. No big loss for me really -- I actually don't like it that much (it's a little too close to milk which I loathe). I just considered it an easy, healthy snack. Perhaps not so healthy, depending on the perspective?

Sorry but what is kefir?  I've heard a few mentions of it and have NO CLUE what it is ~ although now I'm thinking it's some milk like drink??
2009-09-15 7:51 PM

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
Is it possible to OD on fruit?    Seriously though, I have been finding myself starving the last few days and between the nuts and fruit I'm thinking I am waaaay overeating although (luckily) so far my scale hasn't shown it.  Maybe it's a growth spurt, huh?!  I always say that about my daughter when she eats non stop for days on end!
2009-09-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2408492

User image

Veteran
Gainesville
Happychick - 2009-09-15 8:51 PM Is it possible to OD on fruit?    Seriously though, I have been finding myself starving the last few days and between the nuts and fruit I'm thinking I am waaaay overeating although (luckily) so far my scale hasn't shown it.  Maybe it's a growth spurt, huh?!  I always say that about my daughter when she eats non stop for days on end!

I think if I lived in Hawaii, I would LIVE on fruit, and fish!  As it is, so many yummy things are in season here, that I am eating a ton of fruit, too.  Those peaches are like candy!

2009-09-16 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Somebody mentioned no sugar added smoothie recipes, could you let me know what the link is for it? We've been experimenting with smoothies for breakfast now

thanks
2009-09-16 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2409826

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
kenb - 2009-09-16 7:52 AM Somebody mentioned no sugar added smoothie recipes, could you let me know what the link is for it? We've been experimenting with smoothies for breakfast now thanks

Here it is!  FYI...not all the smoothies they talk about are sugar free (some have ice cream) but it gives you some awesome ideas and ones you can play with!
2009-09-16 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2409275

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
carteroak - 2009-09-16 3:58 AM
Happychick - 2009-09-15 8:51 PM Is it possible to OD on fruit?    Seriously though, I have been finding myself starving the last few days and between the nuts and fruit I'm thinking I am waaaay overeating although (luckily) so far my scale hasn't shown it.  Maybe it's a growth spurt, huh?!  I always say that about my daughter when she eats non stop for days on end!

I think if I lived in Hawaii, I would LIVE on fruit, and fish!  As it is, so many yummy things are in season here, that I am eating a ton of fruit, too.  Those peaches are like candy!

Tell me about it!   My hubby even found an avacodo tree near his unit so he's been picking those and bringing 'em home ~ yum!!!
2009-09-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: #2407931

New user

carteroak - 2009-09-15 4:15 PM I think there is plain kefir available, which, like plain yogurt, would be fine.  You could make it into a smoothie w/peices of frozen fruit, and a little all-natural fruit juice to make it more tasty.  I think kefir is supposed to be really good for you and I would like to drink it more often myself, but it seemed to cause some lower GI unpleasantries for me.  : (  Now, I go for plain greek yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit as a post-training recovery snack.

That's a good idea, thanks. I don't know why I didn't think of it -- I switched over to plain yogurt some time ago (there was honey involved during the transition period). Perhaps because it reminds me a little too much of milk. Sorry it doesn't agree with you; it really is the luck of the draw when it comes to how our bodies react to certain things.
2009-09-16 2:13 PM
in reply to: #2408484

New user

Happychick -
Sorry but what is kefir?  I've heard a few mentions of it and have NO CLUE what it is ~ although now I'm thinking it's some milk like drink??

It's like liquid yogurt -- mid-distance between yogurt and milk, I guess. It's supposed to have more good bacteria than yogurt (my labels say 10 live cultures vs 6 in the Stonyfield yogurts). It's also supposed to be easier to digest than milk for people with intolerances (but perhaps worse than yogurt?).

2009-09-16 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2409899

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Happychick - 2009-09-16 2:36 PM

Tell me about it!   My hubby even found an avacodo tree near his unit so he's been picking those and bringing 'em home ~ yum!!!

jealous...
2009-09-17 1:41 AM
in reply to: #2410718

User image

Master
Almost Canada, WA
kcovert1 - 2009-09-16 3:54 PM

jealous...

I'll trade you some avocados for some sugar free ketsup
2009-09-17 5:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Henderson,NV
Well when we started following along with this my wife was cautious and just wanted to try it for two weeks, then she goes and looses 3 lbs her firist week and lost another 2 this week, so now she's saying " sooo how about going another two weeks"?" Like I have a choice in the matter
2009-09-17 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2410963

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Happychick - 2009-09-17 2:41 AM
kcovert1 - 2009-09-16 3:54 PM

jealous...

I'll trade you some avocados for some sugar free ketsup

You and your ketchup!!!  How's the home made working for you??
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Fall 12-Week No-Sugar Challenge 2009 Rss Feed  

of 11