of 25

2009-12-23 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2575295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
Subject: RE: BamaDC's Group - CLOSED
BamaDC - 2009-12-23 12:16 PM

The scale is a very useful tool.  It varies from source to source, but you can gain 1-3 seconds per mile for every pound of body fat you loose.

Seems like a pretty accurate rule of thumb.  I was able to run 8:00 miles in college but I was about 25 lbs lighter (and on the crew team Laughing).

2009-12-23 1:41 PM
in reply to: #2575146

User image

Temple City
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-23 10:05 AM

Drew, did you mean 208 - (0.7*age)?

insert segue here.

Everybody:

Can you all help me.  I have been having trouble getting home every morning (I drive a truck for FedEx).  At about 230 am, everymorning, I wind up stopping for free coffee at a certain truck stop (but then I also buy a donut and some doritos or something--bad news).  I need some snack ideas that will keep me awake (carrots and cucumbers have become torture).

My continual weight loss thanks you,

Wade

When I am being really good, which has been difficult during the holiday season, I cut up an apple, a sweet pepper (red, yellow or orange), and another vegetable, usually a zuccini or a crook neck squash and put all of those in ziplock baggies. I also bring with me two 3oz cans of tuna in water a bag of the baby carrots and a fat free yogurt. I put all of this in a small cooler that I keep at my desk or in my car (next to me at all times). For break fast I cook 4 egg whites and place them between two slices of the ezekial 4:9 bread with what ever sauce I feel like at the moment. Then I snack on the above mentioned fruits and veggies first before I allow myself to eat anything else.

I am basically eating all day just little meals. I plan on getting back to this once the holidays are over.

Good luck with the weight loss.
2009-12-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2555842

User image

Temple City
The nuts are a great suggestion.

I read that if you eat 12 almonds (or a small handfull of nuts) 30 mins prior to eating it slows down the emptying of the food out of your stomach and makes you feel full faster and longer.

Edited by rwestgat 2009-12-23 1:44 PM
2009-12-23 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2575424

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
cornfed - 2009-12-23 12:18 PM
BamaDC - 2009-12-23 12:16 PM

The scale is a very useful tool.  It varies from source to source, but you can gain 1-3 seconds per mile for every pound of body fat you loose.

Seems like a pretty accurate rule of thumb.  I was able to run 8:00 miles in college but I was about 25 lbs lighter (and on the crew team Laughing).

I have a love hate relationship with the rowing machine.
2009-12-23 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2575146

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-23 10:05 AM Drew, did you mean 208 - (0.7*age)?

insert segue here.

Everybody:

Can you all help me.  I have been having trouble getting home every morning (I drive a truck for FedEx).  At about 230 am, everymorning, I wind up stopping for free coffee at a certain truck stop (but then I also buy a donut and some doritos or something--bad news).  I need some snack ideas that will keep me awake (carrots and cucumbers have become torture).

My continual weight loss thanks you,

Wade

Can you give us some more insight on your schedule.  Like shift times and meal times.

Right now I'm counting calories every other day.  Starting mid Jan I'll start making meal plans to go along with my training plans.  You don't want to cut to many calories or your training will suffer.
2009-12-24 4:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Good ride for Christmas eve.  Nice cool morning.  I fly today to be with the family.  Looking foward to running with my daughter Friday and Saturday.   May take the gradson out with a baby jogger Christmas day.  Need to get him fired up aboutr Triathlons at age 11 months.  It is never to early to get them started! I hope the group has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I getting excited about the new year and my first Triathlon in three years.  St Anthony in April is looming around the corner.  I hope to get some swimming in Saturday and Sunday in Charlotte.

2009-12-24 4:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

I appretiate your insight on the coaching decisions you have made in the last couple of years..  I have wonder recently if I should hire a coach.   I really enjoy this sport.  I enjoy working out.  I think a coach will push me and in the end make me better.  But given where I am and what I am trying to get out of the sport I can't see why I want to do this.  Currently I can get better without a coach.  Can I do it better on my own probably not.  In the end like you I think it has to be fun.  Will I hire a coach in the future I might.  For now I am just enjoying the sport and gains I am making on my own.

2009-12-24 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2576428

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
[email protected] - 2009-12-24 4:31 AM Good ride for Christmas eve.  Nice cool morning.  I fly today to be with the family.  Looking foward to running with my daughter Friday and Saturday.   May take the gradson out with a baby jogger Christmas day.  Need to get him fired up aboutr Triathlons at age 11 months.  It is never to early to get them started! I hope the group has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.  I getting excited about the new year and my first Triathlon in three years.  St Anthony in April is looming around the corner.  I hope to get some swimming in Saturday and Sunday in Charlotte.

The other day during the Kona coverage my 2 year old wanted his cowbell.  Everytime he'd see a red bike he yell out, "daddy."
2009-12-24 9:07 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida

Had to bring a tear to your eye!

2009-12-24 11:39 PM

User image

Regular
So, more info.

I eat dinner just before 5pm with the Fam.  Then hop on the bike (within 15 min) and ride 30 min to work.  As it stands now.  I bring about a half gal of h2o and carrots, cucumber, two lunchmeat and cheese tortilla wraps, two oranges, one or two apples and sometimes a banana.  I also bring a little tupper of tuna or something.  ... and a few of packs of chewing gum (sugar free).  I have an ipod, xm, and lots of audiobooks.  I also have a cellphone (but...I... don't use it because I am not ...legally parked...according to policy).

I spend about 45 minutes changing clothes and hooking up my three trailers and tractor.  I leave between 630 and 7pm and reach my turn point (Portland) about 5 hours later.  In Portland, it takes just over an hour to unhook all three, fuel and rehook different trailers.  I depart around 1am.  When I go by the problem truckstop at about 245, I often stop even if I have more stuff in the cooler.  The coffee is free and there is nowhere for the next long drive where I can park a 105 foot long truck to use services.

Once I get into the truckstop, all the time I spent telling myself that I shouldn't get snacks goes by the wayside.

I know that I am eating to fight boredom.  I'm not hungry...but.  Chewing gum lasts OK for a while, but then it doesn't work.  I can take a short nap on an interstate widespot, but that only works for an hour.

This week was a little easier, because I was driving through (maybe) ice, and was on edge most of the time. 

This shift is fairly consistent, mon-fri nights.  Mid January, I expect the shift to move one half hour later. 

I am so thankful for a job that beats the heck out of me, because it is also a great job for a great company, but I also want to take care of my nutrition better than I have. 

Thanks

Wade
2009-12-24 11:41 PM

User image

Regular
Santa got me some Pearl Izumi rain pants.  Yay!!!!

I got my wife Planet Bike fenders and a new basket for the rack I just put on her bike. 

What did you guys get?

2009-12-25 11:51 AM

New user
merry xmas all since im just starting out got alot of lil goodies like new helmet, saddlebag, and computer, off to a family party where there might be a garmin 305 waiting... got in a nice 4 mile run though between parties
2009-12-25 1:17 PM

User image

Regular
Wife and I have been debating HRM's.  I've read a bunch of reviews between 305 and 310xt.  Anyone with either swear by them?  I want the 310xt but the pricepoint seems fairly daunting for two.  Rebate brings it down to just over twice the 305.

Just curious.
2009-12-25 2:31 PM

User image

Master
Merry Christmas all.  Santa brought three running shirts (believe it or not all i had prior to this was cotton), a blinky light for running at night (now I have two - one for front and one for back), and The Stick.  Gonna try the stick out - just finished an 8 miler (38 degrees and quite windy).

I'm now cold and sore.  But if I get my 5 miler in tomorrow I'll eclipse 30miles for the week for the first time.  Hopefully the work will pay off in February.

All the best to you and yours.
2009-12-25 5:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Oakland, Florida
Just got done with my 9 mile run today. I ran 5 and came back and picked my daughter up and we did 4 more around the house here in Charlotte.  It rained all day until 3PM.  I am a morning person and having to wait until the afternoon put me on edge all day.  It was great running with my daughter.  The family has all decided to run a half marathon by end of next year.  My wife, other daughter, and son in law are going to start training Saturday.  Hopefully they can stay with it and reach their goal.  I bought my daughter a pair of ASICS 2140 Running shoes and a Peal Izumi running jacket to get her started.

CoolI had a very tri Christmas.  I got a TYR Tri Bag, IPOD, of course I have to count the early presents,  Felt Tri Bike B12, Giro Saros Helmet, Cateye V20 Computer, Pearl Izumi Tri Fly III shoes, A pair of Wool Pearl Izumi cycling socks, Terry Falcon Seat for my road bike, Profile Carbon Water Bottle holder, Box of 24 assorted GU gels, Box of 24 Roxtane Gels.  I hope each and everyone of you enjoys spending time with your family and has a very Merry Christmas!

Edited by [email protected] 2009-12-25 5:03 PM
2009-12-25 6:11 PM

User image

Regular
Brian,

It is interesting that you mention the contagion of training, I was just speaking to my wife about that.   It seems to be happening to me too, though not all with family.  Two sisters have committed to a sprint later in the year.  People at work (4 so far) have come up to me fairly randomly and bragged about losing weight too, or starting jogging, or asking for advice (I speak highly of BT and dailyplate.com). 

I hope they all stick with it, too.  Just interesting.  Maybe I'll go for a run later.

Happy Christmas.

2009-12-26 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
Hope everyone had a Safe and Happy Christmas. 

I didn't really want or need much this year, so Santa brought me a swim bag, some paddles and a pair of Five Fingers.  He brought momma a pair of Specialized Trivents, a pair of Speedplays and new bike tires.  The boys had an awesome morning.  It really is a blast watching them.
2009-12-26 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2577601

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-25 1:17 PM Wife and I have been debating HRM's.  I've read a bunch of reviews between 305 and 310xt.  Anyone with either swear by them?  I want the 310xt but the pricepoint seems fairly daunting for two.  Rebate brings it down to just over twice the 305.

Just curious.

What do you plan on using it for running only or triathlon racing?  The 310 is made for triathletes.  It is waterproof and can pair up with an ANT+ powermeter(like Powertap and Quarq). 

I've haven't used either but have seen both.  Sadly, my trustly 4 year old Forerunner 301 is on its last leg and I'll soon be debating this same issue.
2009-12-26 4:20 PM

User image

Regular
Contemplating a race:

Having completed one sprint, and that, before training at all; I am 99% sure that I will be signing up for the Pacific Crest (Bend Or) Olympic Tri at the end of June, '10.

Here is why I think I can do it.  I ran a 10k once, 18 years ago.  My longest ride so far on my flat bar bike was 35 miles, avg 14 or so mph (that was two months ago).  I have done 2200 yards in the pool.  It is an open water swim with wetsuits recommended.  I still have six months to train.

Am I nuts? I think I picked the wrong place to ask, but...

Should I enter as a clyde? (228lbs now) or AG (I just turned 45).

According to the schedule, I would have 4:40 minutes to complete it.  With no training I did a sprint in 1:30.   I could walk the 10k and finish.  I can do this, right?
2009-12-26 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2578306

User image

Master
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-26 4:20 PM Contemplating a race:

Having completed one sprint, and that, before training at all; I am 99% sure that I will be signing up for the Pacific Crest (Bend Or) Olympic Tri at the end of June, '10.

Here is why I think I can do it.  I ran a 10k once, 18 years ago.  My longest ride so far on my flat bar bike was 35 miles, avg 14 or so mph (that was two months ago).  I have done 2200 yards in the pool.  It is an open water swim with wetsuits recommended.  I still have six months to train.

According to the schedule, I would have 4:40 minutes to complete it.  With no training I did a sprint in 1:30.   I could walk the 10k and finish.  I can do this, right?

Easily.  Prolly enter as a clyde (unless you lose the 28 lbs between now and then!).  Just ramp up the running and swimming.  You can certainly get to 10k run endurance in 6 months.  Swimming the same.
2009-12-27 10:02 AM
in reply to: #2577427

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-25 12:41 AM
What did you guys get?

For workout related stuff I got new thermal running tights, two swim suits and a bike trainer.  So basically what I got was no more excuses for not working out!

2009-12-27 10:20 AM

User image

Regular
Perfect, Drew.  Don't worry, you'll be able to find some rationalizations here and there.
2009-12-27 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-26 5:20 PM Contemplating a race:

I say go ahead and sign up now.  I like to get things on the calendar early for two reasons.  First the deadline is motivating and second I'm less likely to let something get in the way.
2009-12-27 8:19 PM

User image

Master
Rogersville, Alabama
surprisetriguy - 2009-12-26 4:20 PM Contemplating a race:

Go for it.  You've gotta have goals to motivate or push yourself.

Is the swim in salt or fresh water?
2009-12-28 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Hope eveyone had a great Holiday! I was pretty sick, but good news is instead of gaining all the normal holiday weight, I actually dropped 6 lbs. Not exactly the way you want to lose em, but hey, a pound is a pound. I'm gonna get a run in today, we'll see how that goes.
I'm planning to start one of the olympic distance training programs next week, and wanted to get you folks feedback. Any favorites, or experience with any of the programs on the site? I've lost a little of my base as I've had several injuries recently, but I think I can pick it back up quickly. Any input is appreciated.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BamaDC's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 25