BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-01-05 12:52 AM
in reply to: #2556063

User image

Master
Utah
Subject: RE: 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED)
Okay, bottom of page 2 is just not a cool place to be, LOL. Thought I'd better change that.

2010-01-05 12:52 AM

User image

Master
Utah
I have not done a single step of run, a single turnover of my legs on the bike, or so much as splashed in the pool this month. Grrr. I am having problems with bad shin splints. Again. Seems like every year this happens to me. I did, however, convince my hubby that I NEEDED to spend $125 on a 3-session run technique clinic through the local tri club. It starts tomorrow night. And then I need to figure out which pool I want to swim at, so that I can then buy a new gym membership. THEN, I WILL complete a half marathon distance this month, and I WILL ride my pretty little bike (on the trainer), and I WILL (maybe) do some swimmin' while I'm at it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. How's everyone else doing so far in 2010?
2010-01-05 12:57 AM

User image

Master
Utah
Never tried the compression stuff, so I guess I can't comment on whether or not they work. Of those of you who have tried them, do they work well for shin splints? Or do you think they would?
2010-01-05 8:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Great job in 2010 so far everyone. Keep up the good work. Just a note on swimming in a lap pool with others...this is not for those of you in a masters class because those are pretty controlled environments. However, if you just show up at your local pool for "open swimming" there are a few things to keep in mind. First, if you are a slower swimmer you should be in the slow lane. Trust me, there is nothing wrong with the slow lane and I often find myself sharing that lane. Be realistic about your swim speed - if Michael Phelps and the US Olympic team are in the fast lane, you should probably move down a lane. Second, if there are two of you it is ok to split the lane in half. Otherwise, you should be circle swimming. However, don't just hop in the lane with 1 or 2 other people and assume they are circle swimming. Pay attention to the lane and when the people already swimming stop or take a break, "announce your presence" and make sure they are circling. This comes from experience as yesterday I was splitting a lane with someone and a new girl shows up and jumps in the lane assuming we were circling. I didn't see her or hear her and I was backstroking, she was freestyling and freestyled right into my head. So, I thought for those of you new to the pool, it might help to go over some of the etiquette. Ok, that's it, I'm done ranting about this for now. Happy training.  
2010-01-05 11:37 AM
in reply to: #2594226

User image

Regular
Toronto
givemashot - 2010-01-05 12:52 AM I have not done a single step of run, a single turnover of my legs on the bike, or so much as splashed in the pool this month. Grrr. I am having problems with bad shin splints. Again. Seems like every year this happens to me. I did, however, convince my hubby that I NEEDED to spend $125 on a 3-session run technique clinic through the local tri club. It starts tomorrow night. And then I need to figure out which pool I want to swim at, so that I can then buy a new gym membership. THEN, I WILL complete a half marathon distance this month, and I WILL ride my pretty little bike (on the trainer), and I WILL (maybe) do some swimmin' while I'm at it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. How's everyone else doing so far in 2010?

That's awesome! Shin splints must bite, I've never had them. I've been reading the Chi Running book, and he talks a lot about running form contributing to shin splints, so maybe your run clinic will be able to help you there...I love all your goals - but the no running to half-marathon distance in a month seems...errr...ambitious? Careful out there! As for the compression socks, they make my torn calf muscle injury seem like a distant memory. Maybe they'll help with your shin splints...I really don't know, though. I hope the clinic is all that for you.

Edited by ptri 2010-01-05 11:37 AM
2010-01-05 5:43 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Hey all,  yeah, so far everything is going alright in my training.  As far as swimming goes, I have improved quite a bit in nearly 3 months.  I'm up to 100 yards without stopping to rest, so I have seen some improvement.  I have a couple of questions about swimming though.  First,  when I go swimming in a lap pool, I don't know where the slow lane is.  I go to a lane that is either empty or if all are occupied, I look at the swimmers and choose which would be a good "match".  Sooo, where is the "slow" lane?   Second, when I first started swimming 3 months ago, I bought a plain TYR swim suit (nothin' fancy).  It's already faded and worn!!  I've been in the pool a lot and wash it frequently but I thought the life of my swimsuit would last a bit longer.  Sooo, how  often do you guys buy swim suits?    Thanks

2010-01-05 8:17 PM
in reply to: #2596279

User image

Regular
Toronto
I used to go through swimsuits at about a 6 month rate, but last one I bought was a Speedo Endurance flyback. Apparently, it's chlorine resistant, or something like that, and the fabric is very different...it's not quite as stretchy as the old speedos, and although I've spent many more hours in the pool then I used to, it looks like the day I bought it. A tiny bit more expensive, but seems worth it.
2010-01-05 8:54 PM
in reply to: #2594613

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

molly@rosenblumlawlv - 2010-01-05 8:36 AM

.......I was backstroking, she was freestyling and freestyled right into my head. .......

Ouch!  Bet that threw off the concentration you had going on :-)  Sounds funny when I read it, but I'm sure it wasn't to you!

2010-01-05 8:59 PM
in reply to: #2596279

User image

Veteran
Plano, TX

cggale - 2010-01-05 5:43 PM Hey all,  yeah, so far everything is going alright in my training.  As far as swimming goes, I have improved quite a bit in nearly 3 months.  I'm up to 100 yards without stopping to rest, so I have seen some improvement.  I have a couple of questions about swimming though.  First,  when I go swimming in a lap pool, I don't know where the slow lane is.  I go to a lane that is either empty or if all are occupied, I look at the swimmers and choose which would be a good "match".  Sooo, where is the "slow" lane?   Second, when I first started swimming 3 months ago, I bought a plain TYR swim suit (nothin' fancy).  It's already faded and worn!!  I've been in the pool a lot and wash it frequently but I thought the life of my swimsuit would last a bit longer.  Sooo, how  often do you guys buy swim suits?    Thanks

Great job on the improvement!

I'm with you on the slow lane.  The local pool I swim in has 5 lanes and there are usually people walking with weights or something similar in the first two since it's a bit shallower.  I have also noticed over the past year of my training that the majority of the people that show up to swim there were novice as I was, so there wasn't really a designated fast or slow swim lane.  If the lanes were full, I would just watch and see which lane suited me best before letting them know I was joining the lane.

2010-01-06 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2596607

User image

Regular
Toronto
wkirbytri - 2010-01-05 8:59 PM

cggale - 2010-01-05 5:43 PM Hey all,  yeah, so far everything is going alright in my training.  As far as swimming goes, I have improved quite a bit in nearly 3 months.  I'm up to 100 yards without stopping to rest, so I have seen some improvement.  I have a couple of questions about swimming though.  First,  when I go swimming in a lap pool, I don't know where the slow lane is.  I go to a lane that is either empty or if all are occupied, I look at the swimmers and choose which would be a good "match".  Sooo, where is the "slow" lane?   Second, when I first started swimming 3 months ago, I bought a plain TYR swim suit (nothin' fancy).  It's already faded and worn!!  I've been in the pool a lot and wash it frequently but I thought the life of my swimsuit would last a bit longer.  Sooo, how  often do you guys buy swim suits?    Thanks

Great job on the improvement!

I'm with you on the slow lane.  The local pool I swim in has 5 lanes and there are usually people walking with weights or something similar in the first two since it's a bit shallower.  I have also noticed over the past year of my training that the majority of the people that show up to swim there were novice as I was, so there wasn't really a designated fast or slow swim lane.  If the lanes were full, I would just watch and see which lane suited me best before letting them know I was joining the lane.

Maybe it's a Canadian thing and we're all so bleeding orderly, but I've never been to a pool that didn't have signs at the lanes indicating what speed the lane was, e.g. you must be able to swim 100 meters in under 2 minutes for the fast lane. The signs also show the direction for the circle. It doesn't always mean that people are swimming in the correct lane, though - often people have a very overblown idea of their swim speed. I like to swim in the medium lane because then I can do drills without slowing people down, but there are almost always people in the medium lane who really should be in the slow lane. This is why I love my swim group - swimming without having to stop kind of rocks.
2010-01-06 9:52 AM

User image

Toronto
Anyone expreience guilt for taking a rest day? I find my back acts up when I do, the movement seems to keep things lose.

2010-01-06 6:45 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
I work part time, so the two days I work I'm on my feet for 10 hours.  I don't feel too guilty on those days because I do enough walking and standing (I'm a nurse) that my feet and legs are tired.  BUT, if I don't work out on my days that I don't work, I feel really guilty. 
2010-01-06 7:24 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto
I think that's why people suggest planning rest days. That way you don't feel badly for doing nothing. I'm taking a few days off because I just don't feel like moving and I've decided that it's planned. I'm not feeling guilty as such, just a bit anxious from not burning off the usual amount of energy. I just think for me, anyway, that it's counterproductive to force myself through a half-hearted workout just because I think that I should do it. Training and exercising is supposed to be a positive thing, no?
2010-01-06 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2595213

User image

Master
Utah
ptri - 2010-01-05 10:37 AM
givemashot - 2010-01-05 12:52 AM I have not done a single step of run, a single turnover of my legs on the bike, or so much as splashed in the pool this month. Grrr. I am having problems with bad shin splints. Again. Seems like every year this happens to me. I did, however, convince my hubby that I NEEDED to spend $125 on a 3-session run technique clinic through the local tri club. It starts tomorrow night. And then I need to figure out which pool I want to swim at, so that I can then buy a new gym membership. THEN, I WILL complete a half marathon distance this month, and I WILL ride my pretty little bike (on the trainer), and I WILL (maybe) do some swimmin' while I'm at it. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it. How's everyone else doing so far in 2010?

That's awesome! Shin splints must bite, I've never had them. I've been reading the Chi Running book, and he talks a lot about running form contributing to shin splints, so maybe your run clinic will be able to help you there...I love all your goals - but the no running to half-marathon distance in a month seems...errr...ambitious? Careful out there! As for the compression socks, they make my torn calf muscle injury seem like a distant memory. Maybe they'll help with your shin splints...I really don't know, though. I hope the clinic is all that for you.
LOL. No, I'm not running a half marathon this month. I am going to run a half-marathon worth of miles this month. Sorry, I should've been more specific. I did do a half mary last spring, and planned on doing it again this April, but now I'm thinking I won't be ready in time.
2010-01-06 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Don't feel guilty about taking a rest day. Your body needs rest. You need to recover in order to get stronger and stay injury free. Of course, you don't want to go nuts eating on a rest day so you need to watch your calorie intake, but resting is good. On my rest days I usually try to plan a massage or walk my dogs or do something with the kids so I'm not just sitting around the house. It is hard to rest especially when you are used to being active, but you need it. Don't feel guilty - think of the rest as part of your training.

Edited by molly@rosenblumlawlv 2010-01-06 8:49 PM
2010-01-07 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2599263

User image

Regular
Toronto
givemashot - 2010-01-06 8:44 PM
ptri - 2010-01-05 10:37 AM

LOL. No, I'm not running a half marathon this month. I am going to run a half-marathon worth of miles this month. Sorry, I should've been more specific. I did do a half mary last spring, and planned on doing it again this April, but now I'm thinking I won't be ready in time.

That sure seems more reasonable! I clearly mis-read! April is still many weeks away - I bet you could be ready. Do you have lots of snow in Utah? My cousin lives there - but on some mountain, so there always seems to be snow.

Edited by ptri 2010-01-07 8:04 AM

2010-01-08 1:38 AM

User image

Master
Utah
LOL. Yes, I'm in the Salt Lake Valley. It's been a weird winter--we did get a fair amount of snow between Christmas and New Year's, but other than that it's been a pretty low key winter. Cold at times, though. Like this morning. 10 F. Before the wind chill. Brrr.
2010-01-08 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2602172

User image

Regular
Toronto
givemashot - 2010-01-08 1:38 AMLOL. Yes, I'm in the Salt Lake Valley. It's been a weird winter--we did get a fair amount of snow between Christmas and New Year's, but other than that it's been a pretty low key winter. Cold at times, though. Like this morning. 10 F. Before the wind chill. Brrr.
You're singin' to the choir! 13F this morning with a -2 windchill - nasty. I grew up in this, you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but every year it seems to be harder to embrace winter. Keep warm.
2010-01-08 2:59 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Yep, here too.  We had a snow storm yesterday and the temps dropped today.  Sooo cold.  Of course my kids love it.  My older daughter had a two hour delay today and got to sleep in.  I told myself whenever the temps are below 30 F, I can't workout outside.  It seem wimpy, but the cold agravates my asthma and just makes me miserable.  Anyone have a "limit" on what prevents them from outdoor workouts? 
2010-01-08 3:38 PM

User image

Toronto
I am more of a wimp in terms of outdoor activity. Biking is out of the question in the winter. As for running, it has to be above -5 degrees and very little wind. But it's not the cold that bugs me as much as the snow does. I have fragile bones and if I slip and fall, I wouldn't want to break anything. So having said all that (I feel old now) I prefer to have the roads clear or if I go early enough I can run in the road. In the end the idea of running in the road when it's cold and dark is really no fun. I am in the wrong country. I hate the winter.
2010-01-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #2603802

New user

Wow I am so sorry to hear about the COLD weather everywhere. Unfortunately I had to ride outside yesterday. 60 degrees, clear skies and no wind we don't get many of those days in Las Vegas, so I HAD to take advantage of it. Laughing

And I am glad to hear the conversation about off days. I am going to take one tomorrow. I know my lovely wife will be very upset if we end the week and I have trained longer than she has. In fact she will most likely go out and double her plan. But I will still have the advantage, she is kind enough to NOT make me work, so I have more time for it.

Aside from that I am done with my 1st week of training for the new season. I should choose a plan I guess. Now I want some cheesecake. Laughing

2010-01-08 7:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Las Vegas, NV
Sorry for the short responses this week everyone. Work has kept me jumping. Everyone is looking strong starting out the new year! Great job!

I will post some information about transitions over the weekend. If anyone has specific questions, please let me know. 
2010-01-08 8:31 PM

User image

Regular
Toronto
I've got a bit of a hate on for winter right now, and I grew up in this crap. But the northerly wind and the sub-zero temps sure keep me from being hardy. I'll swim, cuz it's warm - but running outside right now? I'm just not that tough anymore. I could have an old lady moment and reminisce about the days when my brothers and I would skate in frozen-over potato fields until we were called home and then have to sit in a cold bath because we were too cold for warm water...ahhh, those were the days. Why can't we be that tough now? You'd think our old, wizened skin would be able to take MORE cold than when we were kids, not less...

I did buy Yak Trak Pros the other day. I really have no excuse now, except that I'm a big baby. Someone tell me to HTFU and get out there...

This too shall pass - soon we'll be complaining because it's too hot to run, so maybe we should appreciate not salting out in half an hour while we can...Cool

2010-01-09 1:45 AM

Regular
North Wales, UK
We have been snowed in this week. I  am from Syracuse and live in the mountains of Wales now. This is a small snow by Syracuse standards, but there aren't any plows or shovels so there is nowhere for the snow to go. Getting on the bike is impossible, a run is dodgy, and we can't always get the cars out. I got to the gym yesterday (where it was 5x fuller than normal) and did my first bike/run brick. Today I will swim - but I hate looking at my logs and seeing all those blank days. 
 I guess I'm not being very motivating. I'm trying to get out when I can. When I set my mind to do something, I have always had a hard time deciding when staying home is sensible and when it is wimpy. I'm TRYING to be mature and not bully myself into going out when the roads really are dangerous.

Edited by mhoerger 2010-01-09 1:51 AM
2010-01-09 7:46 AM
in reply to: #2604458

User image

Regular
Toronto
mhoerger - 2010-01-09 1:45 AMWe have been snowed in this week. I  am from Syracuse and live in the mountains of Wales now. This is a small snow by Syracuse standards, but there aren't any plows or shovels so there is nowhere for the snow to go. Getting on the bike is impossible, a run is dodgy, and we can't always get the cars out. I got to the gym yesterday (where it was 5x fuller than normal) and did my first bike/run brick. Today I will swim - but I hate looking at my logs and seeing all those blank days. 
 I guess I'm not being very motivating. I'm trying to get out when I can. When I set my mind to do something, I have always had a hard time deciding when staying home is sensible and when it is wimpy. I'm TRYING to be mature and not bully myself into going out when the roads really are dangerous.
I hear you - I have to really explore whether I feel it's actually unsafe for me to go out, or whether I'm using the cold and the snow as an excuse. It's the equivalent of minus 11F here with the windchill - that's just downright unpleasant...but could I run in it? Sure - I've biked in colder already this year. I have a friend who has worked with a First Nations man who thinks we're all (meaning non-natives) nuts. He says that the body is supposed to follow the rhythms of the seasons and that the reason we all feel sluggish in January is because we're supposed to be resting - like the rest of nature - not doing bricks. We're supposed to be getting fat and sleeping a lot. I like his way of thinking! It's sure what my heart wants, anyway. Ironically, tomorrow I've planned a long run with a good friend of mine who is part Ojibwe...ha! Enjoy snowy Wales - such a beautiful country, from pictures I've seen.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » 2010 Molly's Mentor Group - IS ALL FULL UP (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 13