Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 28

2009-12-24 10:38 AM
in reply to: #2556282

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Ken D's Group - Shut
I agree with the food journal...I don't have the dedication to do it daily.  So it seems like a few times I year I'll do it for a week or so, just get an idea of how I am doing and portion size control.

Unfortunately when it comes to BMI, the results are usually not very accurate.  I show to be "obese" even though I am far from it.  I agree I am a little overweight, but for my height it wants me in the 160lb range.  About 8yrs ago I got extremely sick for over a month and barely ate anything.  My weight went from around 190 to 170, and that was rail thin for me and everyone talked about how sickly I looked.  I think it totally depends on your body structure and it does not take into account muscle mass. 

Now body fat is a very good measure.  I am generally around 20% which is generally considered a little overweight for men (my BMI shows 29 which is obese to borderline overly obese!).  For women 24% is a good solid normal number. 

My thoughts, maybe instead of doing heavy or straight weight lifting, do circuit training with lighter weights.  Circuit training helps keep the heart rate elevated so you get a very good cardio workout plus the weight workout.  This generally will help tone and eliminate fat, while at the same time prevent the muscles from getting "too big". 

2009-12-24 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2576820

User image

I do prefer circuit training I like to feel like I am constantly moving and I like my heart rate up. When I do just lifting I feel as though I have not really "worked out" because my heart rate didn't get up, even though my muscles are saying different!! hmm maybe I am a cardio junkie??

I do agree with you about the BMI, there is a lot to factor in.
2009-12-24 1:20 PM
in reply to: #2576882

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
achaterbox - 2009-12-24 9:04 AM I do prefer circuit training I like to feel like I am constantly moving and I like my heart rate up. When I do just lifting I feel as though I have not really "worked out" because my heart rate didn't get up, even though my muscles are saying different!! hmm maybe I am a cardio junkie??

If you are looking for some kick butt strength/cardio interval ideas, http://www.bodyrock.tv/ has some killer workouts, that don't take a lot of time, use minimal equipment and can be done in small spaces.
2009-12-24 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Have a Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays everyone! 
2009-12-24 6:35 PM
in reply to: #2577072

User image

corstan - 2009-12-24 1:20 PM
achaterbox - 2009-12-24 9:04 AM I do prefer circuit training I like to feel like I am constantly moving and I like my heart rate up. When I do just lifting I feel as though I have not really "worked out" because my heart rate didn't get up, even though my muscles are saying different!! hmm maybe I am a cardio junkie??

If you are looking for some kick butt strength/cardio interval ideas, http://www.bodyrock.tv/ has some killer workouts, that don't take a lot of time, use minimal equipment and can be done in small spaces.

Thanks for sharing that web-site I think I am going to give her work-outs a try. Her philosophy is along the lines of what I believe in. I really don't like using machines at the gym because I feel that it's easier to cheat with them. I have always loved using free weights and my own body to workout, I feel that I have really worked out that way and it's more of a challenge. Plus having 3 kids 2 who are preschool aged and a husband who works out of town it's really hard to go to the gym. So for the next few months I am going to commit to her work-outs plus swim and run at least 3 times a week!
2009-12-24 6:56 PM
in reply to: #2577260

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
chichitao - 2009-12-24 2:55 PM Have a Merry Xmas and Happy Holidays everyone! 

Back at ya..hope you and yours have a very Merry Christmas too

2009-12-24 6:57 PM
in reply to: #2577317

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
achaterbox - 2009-12-24 4:35 PM
corstan - 2009-12-24 1:20 PM

Thanks for sharing that web-site I think I am going to give her work-outs a try. Her philosophy is along the lines of what I believe in. I really don't like using machines at the gym because I feel that it's easier to cheat with them. I have always loved using free weights and my own body to workout, I feel that I have really worked out that way and it's more of a challenge. Plus having 3 kids 2 who are preschool aged and a husband who works out of town it's really hard to go to the gym. So for the next few months I am going to commit to her work-outs plus swim and run at least 3 times a week!

Her workouts are killer good, I'm sure you will see results if you do them regularly, I know I have.
2009-12-25 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
Hope everyone is having a great Christmas!!  The boys are totally Christmased out and the little one is in bed and the big one is heading there as soon as I am done typing this.  Tomorrow I will be heading to Dicks to spend all my Birthday and Christmas gift cards.  I am super excited because I did get P90X.  I am excited to start the 90 day program and mix up my workouts!!  Oh and my husband is awesome!  He had 2 professionally done collages.  One was of my first run, a 10 mile back in March.  That has a few pics, my race number, and the finisher medal.  The other one is of my first triathlon.  It has a pic of me coming out of the ocean, on the bike, and the run, and also my number.  I can't wait to hang them tomorrow in our room!!  I also have lots of reading material.  My mom got me two running books.  John got me a few tri books for my birthday and another today.  It was a great day but I am beat!! 
2009-12-25 10:05 PM
in reply to: #2577815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2009-12-25 5:58 PM Hope everyone is having a great Christmas!!  The boys are totally Christmased out and the little one is in bed and the big one is heading there as soon as I am done typing this.  Tomorrow I will be heading to Dicks to spend all my Birthday and Christmas gift cards.  I am super excited because I did get P90X.  I am excited to start the 90 day program and mix up my workouts!!  Oh and my husband is awesome!  He had 2 professionally done collages.  One was of my first run, a 10 mile back in March.  That has a few pics, my race number, and the finisher medal.  The other one is of my first triathlon.  It has a pic of me coming out of the ocean, on the bike, and the run, and also my number.  I can't wait to hang them tomorrow in our room!!  I also have lots of reading material.  My mom got me two running books.  John got me a few tri books for my birthday and another today.  It was a great day but I am beat!! 

Sounds like you had a great Christmas!
2009-12-27 10:19 PM

User image

I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas....one down one to go...talking about new years here!!

What are your goals or plans for 2010 other then racing and training?

Edited by achaterbox 2009-12-27 10:19 PM
2009-12-28 8:52 AM
in reply to: #2579518

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Man, did I eat bad this weekend and probably will on new years as well (it is my bday after all!). 

As far as the goals/plans for 2010:
1) my wife and I are going to volunteer to work at our local zoo (which is also an animal rescue center)
2) take my wife back to Hawaii for our 5yr anniversary (we got married there)
3) get myself neutered (ouch!)
4) get my wife to agree to Lasik (for her)
5) do more active non-workout stuff! (paintball, ice skating, tennis, etc)

All my other goals are related to weight, eating habits, and triathlons!  Oh and after a week of research and debate, I am wanting to buy a dedicated tri bike.  Here is a picture of the one I want! 

Felt B16

My wife agreed I could get one and would be my bday present for years (plus I will work some overtime to help pay for it!)

achaterbox - 2009-12-27 10:19 PM I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas....one down one to go...talking about new years here!!

2009-12-28 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
South Jersey
I have been working on a list of things I want to accomplish in 2010.  So far I have...

1.  Lost 20 pounds
2.  Paint the bathrooms in our house
3.  Run the 10 miler in March with an average 10 minute mile.  Did an 11 minute mile last year
4.  Stop biting my nails
5.  Olympic distance triathlon

I have a few more days to figure out the other 5!=
2009-12-28 9:10 AM
in reply to: #2579842

User image

Expert
South Jersey
chichitao - 2009-12-28 8:52 AM Man, did I eat bad this weekend and probably will on new years as well (it is my bday after all!). 

Where in Hawaii?  We went to Maui back in 2007 and fell in love!!  My inlaws have a timeshare there every 2 years and offer us a week.  I think it is 4 weeks total or something like that.  We went to Florida in 2009 and not sure about 2011.  I would love to do the Maui marathon in September of 2011.  Just have to decide if we want to do it that year.  The boys would be almost 5 and 3 1/2.  Not sure if the flight is too much for them then or if we should wait until 2013.
2009-12-28 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2579881

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
We loved it.  We got married on the beach in Lanikai on the east side of Oahu.  We did a week on Oahu then a week on Kauai.  We are talking about doing a week on Maui and then Oahu this trip.  The plan is to go in Nov as we want to get in some whale watching as well.  Oh, I forgot to put on my to do list that we are going to get scuba certified so we can scuba while out there!  I would love to do some kind of race out there. 

Maybe go when the kids are still young, then you could leave them with some family.   Maybe take them back if you want when they are older and could appreciate it more. 

Mrschach - 2009-12-28 9:10 AM
chichitao - 2009-12-28 8:52 AM Man, did I eat bad this weekend and probably will on new years as well (it is my bday after all!). 

Where in Hawaii?  We went to Maui back in 2007 and fell in love!!  My inlaws have a timeshare there every 2 years and offer us a week.  I think it is 4 weeks total or something like that.  We went to Florida in 2009 and not sure about 2011.  I would love to do the Maui marathon in September of 2011.  Just have to decide if we want to do it that year.  The boys would be almost 5 and 3 1/2.  Not sure if the flight is too much for them then or if we should wait until 2013.
2009-12-28 9:33 AM

New user

Ardmore,OK
sorry guys that i havent posted anything im in the mountains for vacation no computers.And we are always doing something.Im in New mexico thought it would be snowing but its not ive seen about 40 people on there road bikes yesterday depressing wish i would have brought mine.
2009-12-28 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2579924

User image

Expert
South Jersey
jbarr223 - 2009-12-28 9:33 AM sorry guys that i havent posted anything im in the mountains for vacation no computers.And we are always doing something.Im in New mexico thought it would be snowing but its not ive seen about 40 people on there road bikes yesterday depressing wish i would have brought mine.

Hope you are having a great time!!!

2009-12-28 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2579842

User image

As far as the goals/plans for 2010:
1) my wife and I are going to volunteer to work at our local zoo (which is also an animal rescue center)
3) get myself neutered (ouch!)
4) get my wife to agree to Lasik (for her)
5) do more active non-workout stuff! (paintball, ice skating, tennis, etc)

All my other goals are related to weight, eating habits, and triathlons!  Oh and after a week of research and debate, I am wanting to buy a dedicated tri bike.  Here is a picture of the one I want! 

Felt B16

My wife agreed I could get one and would be my bday present for years (plus I will work some overtime to help pay for it!)

achaterbox - 2009-12-27 10:19 PM I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas....one down one to go...talking about new years here!!

I love that bike!!!!
2009-12-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2579518

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
achaterbox - 2009-12-27 8:19 PM I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas....one down one to go...talking about new years here!!

Hmmm..haven't really thought too much about non-tri goals at all, but I shall come up with a couple at the very least.

1) lose 10 lbs
2) continue fitness education, to better advise bootcamp clients(already signed up for a couple of nutrition workshops)
3) Do the grouse grind in 1 hour

That is it for now

2009 is definately going out on a high...crazy du-december challenge is pushing me to push myself, but looks like I will meet my goals for the month.  Go Vixens!
2009-12-29 11:24 AM

User image

Since I asked the question I guess I should come up with a few for myself

1- Clean eating for 1 month minimum  (I am very interested in the clean eating lifestyle, but with 3 kids not sure how practical it is for my family)

2- Read to my kids more, I am an avid reader however I do not read enough to my kids at all. I wonder why that is?

3- Volunteer for a non- profit outfit that helps out community

4- To have a better spiritual connection

5- to lose 5 lbs, I know I know I said to fitness related stuff, but we all want to lose 5- 10 lbs right?
2009-12-29 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2580977

User image

corstan - 2009-12-28 7:26 PM
achaterbox - 2009-12-27 8:19 PM I hope that everyone has had a great Christmas....one down one to go...talking about new years here!!

Hmmm..haven't really thought too much about non-tri goals at all, but I shall come up with a couple at the very least.

1) lose 10 lbs
2) continue fitness education, to better advise bootcamp clients(already signed up for a couple of nutrition workshops)
3) Do the grouse grind in 1 hour

That is it for now

2009 is definitely going out on a high...crazy du-december challenge is pushing me to push myself, but looks like I will meet my goals for the month.  Go Vixens!

Your a boot camp instructor? How do you become one. do you have your personal instructor training? I have always wanted to become a personal trainer, but the hours at the gym and week-end work do not appeal to me at all. There is a lady here in town who offers  5k , 10 k and marathon training as well as boot camp and a super boot camp class. She charges about 150 per class and they run for 3 months at a time. That appeals to me I can dictate my own hours and still get to help people get in shape!!!
2009-12-29 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2582066

User image

Expert
South Jersey
achaterbox - 2009-12-29 11:24 AM Since I asked the question I guess I should come up with a few for myself

1- Clean eating for 1 month minimum  (I am very interested in the clean eating lifestyle, but with 3 kids not sure how practical it is for my family)

2- Read to my kids more, I am an avid reader however I do not read enough to my kids at all. I wonder why that is?

5- to lose 5 lbs, I know I know I said to fitness related stuff, but we all want to lose 5- 10 lbs right?

How old are your kids?  My boys are 3 and 1 1/2.  The oldest, Joe, has just recently expressed interest in us reading to him.  Before it was a constant battle and I just did not have the fight in me.  He got really into Christmas books over the past few weeks and now we read 3 books every night before bed.  After I am done his three books, I lay in bed with him for 5-10 minutes while I read my book and he reads his.  It is the same battle to read to the younger one so I just gave up.  Makes me feel like a bad mama but I am hopeful he will be like his brother soon enough!

2009-12-29 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2582171

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Ridge
Mrschach - 2009-12-29 10:07 AM
achaterbox - 2009-12-29 11:24 AM Since I asked the question I guess I should come up with a few for myself

How old are your kids?  My boys are 3 and 1 1/2.  The oldest, Joe, has just recently expressed interest in us reading to him.  Before it was a constant battle and I just did not have the fight in me.  He got really into Christmas books over the past few weeks and now we read 3 books every night before bed.  After I am done his three books, I lay in bed with him for 5-10 minutes while I read my book and he reads his.  It is the same battle to read to the younger one so I just gave up.  Makes me feel like a bad mama but I am hopeful he will be like his brother soon enough!

Ya, I got my group fitness certification last year, and just do it part time for fun.  The certification is a course in fitness theory, a weekend course where you go through the process of learning a few of the different types of group fitness classes, such as step, hi/lo and a small portion on bootcamp/interval type training, learning how to cue and correct improper form etc.  It's a pretty intensive 3 day weekend.  When you have completed the weekend course and the fitness theory course you have to do a practicum and then the final part is the Instructor Certification Evaluation, where I had to put on a one hour class with a minimum of 3 people in attendance and paying someone qualified to Evaluate you while you do the class(very stressful).  I was fortunate in that I had been participating in bootcamp for over a year at a minimum of 3x week.  I really enjoy it and have thought of transistioning to a full time career, but would probably go on to get my weight & personal certifications before I endeavor to do that.
2009-12-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: #2582171

User image

mine are 7, 4 and 3 all very high energy boys so at the end of the day I am just so done and I do not have the patience to read to them. My oldest is reading some on his own, in school though he is behind on his reading, now that makes me feel like a bad mama!!!! I just need to suck it up and step up. My husband works out of town so just about everything that needs to be done is done by me alone! WA WA right!!! lol
2009-12-29 5:55 PM
in reply to: #2582429

User image

corstan - 2009-12-29 1:36 PM
Mrschach - 2009-12-29 10:07 AM

Ya, I got my group fitness certification last year, and just do it part time for fun.  The certification is a course in fitness theory, a weekend course where you go through the process of learning a few of the different types of group fitness classes, such as step, hi/lo and a small portion on bootcamp/interval type training, learning how to cue and correct improper form etc.  It's a pretty intensive 3 day weekend.  When you have completed the weekend course and the fitness theory course you have to do a practicum and then the final part is the Instructor Certification Evaluation, where I had to put on a one hour class with a minimum of 3 people in attendance and paying someone qualified to Evaluate you while you do the class(very stressful).  I was fortunate in that I had been participating in bootcamp for over a year at a minimum of 3x week.  I really enjoy it and have thought of transistioning to a full time career, but would probably go on to get my weight & personal certifications before I endeavor to do that.

I think the YMCA offer a course like that, like I said before I am interested in that line of work but kept putting off the course until I could commit to something in the fitness feild, I think I might gear my boot camp/ running towards stay at home Mom's and during the school hour. Just about everything I have looked into are during the supper hour, or 7 pm+ well if you have kids involved in sports, or that need to eat or Dads who work long hours  that just does work!!!! even the gyms have their classes at odd time. It frustrates me!!!! 

2009-12-29 6:50 PM
in reply to: #2582888

User image

Expert
South Jersey
achaterbox - 2009-12-29 5:55 PM

I think the YMCA offer a course like that, like I said before I am interested in that line of work but kept putting off the course until I could commit to something in the fitness feild, I think I might gear my boot camp/ running towards stay at home Mom's and during the school hour. Just about everything I have looked into are during the supper hour, or 7 pm+ well if you have kids involved in sports, or that need to eat or Dads who work long hours  that just does work!!!! even the gyms have their classes at odd time. It frustrates me!!!! 

Funny you say that because everything around here seems to be geared towards stay at home mom's.  It could be exercise programs, mommy and me type classes, etc..  Everything!  It seems like programs forget that moms do work.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken D's Group - Shut Rss Feed  

of 28