BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2010-01-06 9:03 AM
in reply to: #2557130

Veteran
Outside B'more
Subject: RE: DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come!
Went for a short and CHILLY run last night. Extremely windy and roads are icy but it was a short smooth run. I went early with a slower girl from my running group and once I'm past my cold I'm going to go early then meet up with my regular group to start logging more distance. I made it in for the 6:30am spin class at the gym at work. That's once a week then if I can get up early enough to make the 5:45 class Tues & Thurs at my regular gym I'll get spinning in 3 times a week until I can get my bike out.

I NEED to lose about 40 pounds but I'm aiming for 20 pounds right now so I'm out of the 200's and FINALLY in "ONEderland". I used to be really good about logging what I ate when I first started Weight Watchers and lost the first 50 pounds, but have slacked off substantially in the past year. So maybe that should be part of my New Year's resolution is to log my workouts and nutrition! I'm still up for a weight loss challenge!

2010-01-06 9:13 AM

Veteran

Freezing cold this morning and could not get up to go to the gym.  One of my resolutions is to do much of my training in the morning.  Will have to do it tonight

In my winter training program, I did a efficiency ride where both legs are clipped in and intervals focused on one leg at a time.  Yours calls for unclipped intervals.  Was I reading mine wrong or is it just a variation of a specific drill?

2010-01-06 9:17 AM

Veteran
and another thing, I caught up with my old friends while I was back in Guatemala and saw some old pictures, so the weight loss goal increased Cool
2010-01-06 9:29 AM
in reply to: #2597338

User image

Veteran
Auburn
Chezz - 2010-01-06 10:13 AM

Freezing cold this morning and could not get up to go to the gym.  One of my resolutions is to do much of my training in the morning.  Will have to do it tonight

In my winter training program, I did a efficiency ride where both legs are clipped in and intervals focused on one leg at a time.  Yours calls for unclipped intervals.  Was I reading mine wrong or is it just a variation of a specific drill?

Mine is just a variation.  It allows you to really focus on one leg because you are not clipped in.
2010-01-06 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2597281

User image

Veteran
Auburn
KiwiJDRPH - 2010-01-06 10:03 AM Went for a short and CHILLY run last night. Extremely windy and roads are icy but it was a short smooth run. I went early with a slower girl from my running group and once I'm past my cold I'm going to go early then meet up with my regular group to start logging more distance. I made it in for the 6:30am spin class at the gym at work. That's once a week then if I can get up early enough to make the 5:45 class Tues & Thurs at my regular gym I'll get spinning in 3 times a week until I can get my bike out. I NEED to lose about 40 pounds but I'm aiming for 20 pounds right now so I'm out of the 200's and FINALLY in "ONEderland". I used to be really good about logging what I ate when I first started Weight Watchers and lost the first 50 pounds, but have slacked off substantially in the past year. So maybe that should be part of my New Year's resolution is to log my workouts and nutrition! I'm still up for a weight loss challenge!
Great!  The food log is a great start along with the uptick in activity. 
2010-01-06 8:49 PM
in reply to: #2597413

User image

Veteran
Falls Church VA
I had been doing my one leg drills having both feet clipped in until yesterday.  Even though the unclipping took a couple seconds, I think I got a better workout with only one foot clipped in.  And it was real obvious when I wasnt doing a full circle.  From now on, Im going to unclip.

2010-01-07 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2599280

User image

Veteran
Auburn
vibratingp00 - 2010-01-06 9:49 PM I had been doing my one leg drills having both feet clipped in until yesterday.  Even though the unclipping took a couple seconds, I think I got a better workout with only one foot clipped in.  And it was real obvious when I wasnt doing a full circle.  From now on, Im going to unclip.
It really does make a difference.  Try adding a minute or two (until you get to five minutes) per leg unclipped during your interval workouts.  Then, inbetween legs after your recovery spin get off your bike and do at least a minute of wall sits then get on your bike and start again.  It's a lot of fun.
2010-01-07 8:09 AM

Day one of food jounal was a success. Now to repete it again today. One day at a time.

I was so cold yesterday that I forgot my garmin and heartrate monitor while getting ready to do hills.
We do our hill inside an unheated parking garage to save us from the wind. It works real good, we incorporate some stairs. Avery good workout.
2010-01-07 10:06 AM
in reply to: #2599791

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-01-07 9:09 AM Day one of food jounal was a success. Now to repete it again today. One day at a time.

I was so cold yesterday that I forgot my garmin and heartrate monitor while getting ready to do hills.
We do our hill inside an unheated parking garage to save us from the wind. It works real good, we incorporate some stairs. Avery good workout.
Hills in a parking garage.... Now, that is a good idea.  I might have to try that.  Good job on the log.
2010-01-07 12:52 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
Since August i have lost 15pounds, my goal for the next 3 months is to lose another 15 pounds.  so if im 204-205 i want to be 190.  195 is my goal.
2010-01-07 6:28 PM

User image

Corpus Christi
GO HORNS!!!!

2010-01-08 8:07 AM

Day two of jounaling is over haow is everyone doing?
2010-01-08 10:00 AM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
I've been doing great journaling during the day but I always stop in the evening.  I'm going to keep at it b/c it seems to keep me accountable.  Kate
2010-01-08 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2601526

User image

Master
Baltimore
tizon - 2010-01-07 7:28 PMGO HORNS!!!!
That sucks that Colt went down early...national championships are not where you want your freshman qb getting experience. I just hope this doesn't hurt his draft chances. Its not that I'm a Texas fan (though I did just apply there for grad school so I may be next year) but who doesn't like a football player named Colt McCoy??? Best name ever.
2010-01-08 10:31 AM
in reply to: #2602780

User image

Master
Baltimore
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2010-01-08 11:00 AMI've been doing great journaling during the day but I always stop in the evening. I'm going to keep at it b/c it seems to keep me accountable. Kate

I can really vouch for logging your food to lose weight.

Last January I randomly downloaded a nutrition logging app on my phone, I wasn't really looking to lose weight or anything, but it was a featured app and I noticed it and was curious how well I ate. Anyway, because of my obsessive personality, I've probably logged 99% of my nutrition in there since then and it really made me realize how much excess food I was eating (and in what proportions of fat/carb/protein). I started at 165 and was down to the high 140's by spring/summer, so it really worked for me (maybe too well according to my gf). I never had any idea how much or what I was eating until I logged it all.

I think the biggest thing its done is lower the amount of alcohol I drink. Before I'd have a beer with dinner or a couple on the weekends, but now that I can see how many calories are in it, it makes justifying a beer or two with dinner much harder, and I'm on the whole happier cutting them out once I realized they were really just wasted calories for me.

Edited by jsiegs 2010-01-08 10:33 AM
2010-01-08 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Baltimore
One more post then I'm done.

I'm super sore from a run yesterday (though it was a good run), so I'm gonna try a recovery jog today then a swim and a "yogalaties" class. Has anyone does yoga or pilaties or the combo? I figure worst case is that it doesn't do anything and best case is that I'll be a little less sore and more recovered. Thoughts?

2010-01-08 12:24 PM
in reply to: #2602913

I went to a yoga class last night. I was sore from strenth training and all the extra lunges and squates.
It was one hour of stretches. I found that I could reach farther after repeting the same stretch for five minuts then I ever could before.
Also I am not as sore today.
2010-01-08 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2602889

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2010-01-08 11:31 AM
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2010-01-08 11:00 AMI've been doing great journaling during the day but I always stop in the evening. I'm going to keep at it b/c it seems to keep me accountable. Kate
I can really vouch for logging your food to lose weight. Last January I randomly downloaded a nutrition logging app on my phone, I wasn't really looking to lose weight or anything, but it was a featured app and I noticed it and was curious how well I ate. Anyway, because of my obsessive personality, I've probably logged 99% of my nutrition in there since then and it really made me realize how much excess food I was eating (and in what proportions of fat/carb/protein). I started at 165 and was down to the high 140's by spring/summer, so it really worked for me (maybe too well according to my gf). I never had any idea how much or what I was eating until I logged it all. I think the biggest thing its done is lower the amount of alcohol I drink. Before I'd have a beer with dinner or a couple on the weekends, but now that I can see how many calories are in it, it makes justifying a beer or two with dinner much harder, and I'm on the whole happier cutting them out once I realized they were really just wasted calories for me.
Great points.  At my house we switched from full regular dinner size plates to salad plates when we eat.  That way, smaller portions look big and you feel that full feeling when you are done eating.  Been doing it for about 5 years. 
2010-01-08 5:31 PM
in reply to: #2603241

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-01-08 1:24 PM I went to a yoga class last night. I was sore from strenth training and all the extra lunges and squates.
It was one hour of stretches. I found that I could reach farther after repeting the same stretch for five minuts then I ever could before.
Yoga is a fantastic exercise during base training.  Stetching and relaxing muscles getting them ready for build and peak.  I can't fit it in this year, but in the past years I've tried to do it once a week.
2010-01-08 5:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2010-01-08 11:37 AM One more post then I'm done. I'm super sore from a run yesterday (though it was a good run), so I'm gonna try a recovery jog today then a swim and a "yogalaties" class. Has anyone does yoga or pilaties or the combo? I figure worst case is that it doesn't do anything and best case is that I'll be a little less sore and more recovered. Thoughts?
  Yep, yoga will help.  I just posted on that.
2010-01-09 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2602889

User image

Expert
Gilbert
jsiegs - 2010-01-08 8:31 AM
I can really vouch for logging your food to lose weight. Last January I randomly downloaded a nutrition logging app on my phone, I wasn't really looking to lose weight or anything, but it was a featured app and I noticed it and was curious how well I ate. Anyway, because of my obsessive personality, I've probably logged 99% of my nutrition in there since then and it really made me realize how much excess food I was eating (and in what proportions of fat/carb/protein). I started at 165 and was down to the high 140's by spring/summer, so it really worked for me (maybe too well according to my gf). I never had any idea how much or what I was eating until I logged it all. I think the biggest thing its done is lower the amount of alcohol I drink. Before I'd have a beer with dinner or a couple on the weekends, but now that I can see how many calories are in it, it makes justifying a beer or two with dinner much harder, and I'm on the whole happier cutting them out once I realized they were really just wasted calories for me.

Thanks, what I realized is that I am eating SO many carbs!!  You could classify me as a CarbOHolic!!  It is bad.  I'm going to try to monitor it better now that I know what I am doing. 

My race is in 76 day!  I'm starting to freak out.  I went on a 33 mile ride today and my shoulder hurt more than I thought it would.  I'm glad I got back on the bike but I've got a lot of work to do.  I'm going to give my shoulder more time before I get in the pool. 

2010-01-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #2605342

User image

Veteran
Auburn
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2010-01-09 8:07 PM
jsiegs - 2010-01-08 8:31 AM

Thanks, what I realized is that I am eating SO many carbs!!  You could classify me as a CarbOHolic!!  It is bad.  I'm going to try to monitor it better now that I know what I am doing. 

My race is in 76 day!  I'm starting to freak out.  I went on a 33 mile ride today and my shoulder hurt more than I thought it would.  I'm glad I got back on the bike but I've got a lot of work to do.  I'm going to give my shoulder more time before I get in the pool. 

Good plan on staying away from shoulder movement while you are swimming.  Can you still get to the pool and maybe do some kicks and drills that will keep your body in muscle and movement memory during your recovery?  You might want to ask your DR about it.  You don't want to lose the swim fitness you have.
2010-01-11 8:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
A good bike - strength interval session I did this morning:

20 Minute - warm up spin - steady state getting your HR in Zone 2 - just breaking a sweat

Then:  1 minute one leg spin with the non working leg unclipped from your pedal - then a 1 minute recovery spin using both legs and then 1 minute one leg spin with the opposite leg unclipped followed by a one minute recovery spin.

Then: Get off the bike and do 1 minute of wall sits followed by 30 crunches - 30 oblique crunches and then 20 pushups

Get on the bike and do a one minute spin to get back into zone 2.

Repeat this process adding one minute per each event until you get to 4 minutes of one leg spins.  Keep the wall sits at 1 minute.

10 minute cooll down.  Enjoy.
2010-01-11 8:08 AM
in reply to: #2603241

User image

Veteran
Auburn
cat grimstad - 2010-01-08 1:24 PM I went to a yoga class last night. I was sore from strenth training and all the extra lunges and squates.
How is the soreness?  I see you have not logged since Friday.  You might be stuck in the terrible cold weather funk like me.  Let me know how you are doing.
2010-01-11 8:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Auburn
jsiegs - 2010-01-08 11:37 AM One more post then I'm done. I'm super sore from a run yesterday (though it was a good run), so I'm gonna try a recovery jog today then a swim and a "yogalaties" class. Has anyone does yoga or pilaties or the combo? I figure worst case is that it doesn't do anything and best case is that I'll be a little less sore and more recovered. Thoughts?
Great logs.  How are you feeling after long bike sessions?  Still get the cramping or what have you decided to do?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » DG's Group - We're FULL! 2010 here we come! Rss Feed  

of 15