BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-14 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2612690

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL

YouYou - 2010-01-13 6:42 PM

Bill is absolutley right when he is saying that there a some cheap shoes out there (Nashbar is a good place although I would always like to try bike shoes on - the fit is quite important). But if you prefer spending the extra money on something else, there is no need that your NEED to buy another pedal system.

I admit though, that I have never tried out pedals like Look Keo, Speedplay, etc. So I am not able to comment whether there is a real difference when it comes to cycling.

Take care, and by the way: gorgeous bike!

YouYou

Also, most of those road shoes that take the spd will have the three holes to get the other style cleats should you ever get different pedals. 

And I do suggest getting a road shoe with the spd compatibility instead of mountain shoes.  You're gonna want those stiff soles.

2010-01-15 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2610914

User image

Regular

wyldhair - 2010-01-12 11:07 PM
YouYou - 2010-01-12 10:16 AM

• Slower than your lactate threshold runs ....slower than zone 4
  • Shorter than your medium long rung and ...... under an hour
  • Faster than your recovery runs".......    faster than zone 1

Hummm.....General Aerobic Run
"The run should be

So a General Aerobic Run would be under an hour and in zone 2-3.  Which is a pretty relaxed slow paced but some effort pace. 

I've never heard of the term "General Aerobic Run", but from your description that describes 90% of all of my miles. So I would have to say I think highly of the idea.  As for what you are thinking about doing...YES!!!!! That is perfect and exactly what you should be doing!   

Most people spend to much time trying to get intensity (speed) or distance (miles) out of all of the runs they do.  In doing this they make every run a specific run like you described.  But it is really the opposite that you want to do.   In the shortest explanation I can muster..... 80-90% of all miles should be zone 1-3 with most of these miles in zone 2....  just above recovery pace and below a steady sustainable effort.

When you plan your training week you should start by assuming that every day is a "General Aerobic Run" for me this would be a 45minute run in zone 1-2, mostly zone 2.  Then  based on goals, fitness level and your personal weakness you would then change a day to a Long Slow Run- for me this is about 1 1/2hour to 2 hrs and other specific specific runs into for your specific needs or goals.  If distance is your issue then maybe you would do a medium long run (for me 1hour, same pace as my general run.  Dependant on your personal ability you may even remove a day or change it to a recovery run (for me 45 min zone 1)

Here is an example of a base work out schedule for a fit experienced athlete running 6-7 days a week (50-60miles):
Sunday  1 1/2hr zone 1-2 run
Monday  30-45min zn 1 run or day off
Tuesday  45 minute zone 1-2 or zone 3 tempo run interval up to 20 minutes
Wednesday 45 minute zone 1-2 or zone 1 recovery
Thursday 45 minute zone 1-2
Friday 60min zone 1-2
Saturday 45 minute zone 1-2

As you see almost all of the workouts are General Aerobic Runs.  Later in the season  Tuesdays and Thursdays may become more specific, but then Wednesday, Saturdays  and Mondays will be come more and more recovery based.

Did I help answer your question?  Or did I make it more confusing?

Hello Rochelle,

Thanks a lot. Not unclear at all!

I guess that given the fact that the training runs for a marathon can be pretty long, the author felt the need to include a shorter run. There is the  

• Long run (16 miles or longer)
  • Medium long run (11 miles – 14 miles)
  • General aerobic run (shorter than the medium long run)

For my half marathon training I started to build my long run (yesterday I did 12 km), which I will increase almost every week. I keep on doing my medium long run (9-10km) and my « General Aerobic Run » will be a 40 minutes 6-7 km run.

I have got one more question regarding a run volume increase. I have always tried to follow the 10% rule, i.e. I try to not  increase my mileage more then 10% per week. Problem is, that if I want to include a fourth run per week the increase would be definitly more than 10%.

Shall I just try it and see how my body reacts?

Take care

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2010-01-15 8:41 PM
2010-01-15 11:57 PM
in reply to: #2613258

sesh - 2010-01-14 7:40 AM

YouYou - 2010-01-13 6:42 PM

Bill is absolutley right when he is saying that there a some cheap shoes out there (Nashbar is a good place although I would always like to try bike shoes on - the fit is quite important). But if you prefer spending the extra money on something else, there is no need that your NEED to buy another pedal system.

I admit though, that I have never tried out pedals like Look Keo, Speedplay, etc. So I am not able to comment whether there is a real difference when it comes to cycling.

Take care, and by the way: gorgeous bike!

YouYou

Also, most of those road shoes that take the spd will have the three holes to get the other style cleats should you ever get different pedals. 

And I do suggest getting a road shoe with the spd compatibility instead of mountain shoes.  You're gonna want those stiff soles.

I agree on the pedals. I wore SPDs for a couple of years with my first road bike. I upgraded to Speedplay and Sidi shoes when I bought a new bike. I still use my old shoes with SPD for spin class. I change into them standing next to the bike and never have to walk in them! Good luck!
2010-01-15 11:59 PM
in reply to: #2612060

sesh - 2010-01-13 1:15 PM

Oh that is sweet!  Down tube shifters, too!  That is classic and gorgeous.  And it looks in great condition.  The white cable housing is an awesome touch.  I'd wrap the bars in white , but that's just me   When I built my tri bike, I went as white as possible:

Although, I have to confess.  I've actually abandoned the white tape and tires.  Those are red now.  Had to match our tri club kits ya know.  Oh, and my saddle is now a pink ISM Adamo.  Found too good of a deal at a breast cancer fund raiser to pass it up.

Beautiful bike! I just bought my first Tri bike and wish I would have seen this earlier. It would have been fun to build my own.

Edited by sjf21 2010-01-15 11:59 PM
2010-01-16 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I rode outside today for the first time this year - it was a balmy 45ish with wind.  I was comfortable in my 4 layers of clothing!  It sure felt good to get back on my tri bike.

I'm doing the Max HR Test tomorrow morning if it's not pouring down rain.  I'll let you all know how it goes if I survive.
2010-01-17 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Well, I did the HR test and it really was not that bad because the hard part is only the last 2 minutes.  I struggled with trying to keep my HR at a specific number though.  Minute one I was already above 145 at the start from the warm up so I walked to get it down and then fell to low.  Minute 2 was easier but still I was either too high or too low.  I know I have a hard time staying in zones, and this confirmed it for me.  My watch was constantly beeping and telling me I was too high or too low, and as I started to get it right the minute was up and I had to increase it again.

Minute 4 was the first time I could actually pick up the pace and feel like I was running as opposed to just jogging.  Then all of a sudden that minute was over and I had the last all out sprint minute.  That was painful but was over before it I knew it also.  I timed it badly on the path I ran on and the last minute was mostly on a wood boardwalk that was kind of slippery from the rain.

I still need to get my resting HR to be able to plug the numbers into the formula, but I do have a question -

On the last minute, I don't really feel like I had enough time to get to my max HR.  Is the test supposed to get you to your absolute max HR, or just what your max HR is during this test?  Like for example, my max HR for that last minute was 186, and the average was 183.  I know my HR can get higher than 186 because I've seen it higher.  Not often, but it happens.  So did I do the test wrong?  Should I redo it and try to do a better job leading up to that last minute and see if I get a higher HR?  Could a person have different results on different days depending on how they are feeling and what they did the day before?

And one more question - for someone who knows their zones and trains using their zones.  If a particular workout calls for a Z2 run, does it matter where in Z2 their HR is?  If my Z2 is 153 - 162, should I try to be as close to 162 as possible without going over to push the upper limit?  Does it make a difference if you run @ 155 vs. 160, both are in Z2 but on different ends of the range.  Just curious if it really matters.

And how do you stay in zones?  Practice?  I'm obviously horrible at it.

When do we get the bike test?

2010-01-17 6:22 PM

User image

New user
Great Looking Bike Sesh!

I did my first Duathlon this past year on a Trek Hybrid. Man I felt like a fish out of water. Actually glad to have you all because I picked up a new Bike toward the end of the season and didnt know a ton so I would love to get an opinion on it. I did what research I could looking for a good entry level try bike and I found this one as a Bike shop in New Hampshire. After quite a few days of negotiation we settled on 550.00. Everything is stock with the exception of the aerobars. Its a 2007 but in great shape. 
2007 Felt S32

Aluminum aero frame with a Carbon Fork. Shimano 105 on the front, Ultegra Rears, FSA crank and Ultegra Cassette. It has a basic Shimano Wheel set that I am going to try to upgrade but based on what I have seen on-line 550.00 was a deal. The aerobars were changed out for Profile Carbon bars but aside from that it's stock. Frame size was great and the bike fit seems good. Hopeing I get some life out of it as I am not a wealthy fella. lol What do you guys think?

[img]http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq144/spyguy7540/IMG00161-20100117-1854.jpg[/img]
2010-01-17 6:25 PM

User image

New user
apparently havnt mastered the art of adding photos to the thread lol. Just copy and paste the ling without the "img" on each end. lol.
2010-01-17 7:04 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Very nice looking bike, and I'd say you got a steel of a deal.

(FWIW - I can't post pictures either!)
2010-01-17 8:51 PM

User image

Mammoth Lakes

Exciting news.  I switched coaches this week!
I am so excited to tell you guys about it.  But you will have to wait untill tomorrow, yes, I know it is rude to post a teaser like this. But I am so excited, I just had to say something.

I'll review everyones posts and write more about it tomorrow.

Rochelle

2010-01-17 9:50 PM
in reply to: #2618979

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Rochelle,

Congrats on the new coach.  I, unfortunately, have to bow out of this program.  Things are just too complicated right for me right now.  Thank you.

2010-01-17 10:06 PM
in reply to: #2619046

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Ok, I'm still trying to figure out how all this works, but I posted a report from last weekend on my blog.  You all can check it out if you want. 

I did my first spin class today and swam about 350 yards.  I was surprisingly comfortable in spin class, brought back some middle school memories I absolutely loved it.  And then.....the swim brought me back to earth.  I was terrible.  I felt like I was fighting the water, fighting to breathe, fighting not to drown.  I hated it.  After 7 laps, I was done.  Definitely taking individual lessons vs. masters class to begin.  A shot to my pride, but oh well.  In my late teens I was comfortable in the water and faster than just about anyone that wanted to get in the water with me (caveat - we didn't have a swim team).  Now 10 years later, I couldn't survive a game of gator with the tweenies. 

Did some bike shopping this weekend.  Probably more confused than when I started over road/tri bike.  Opinions like A-h*les, everybody's got one, and they all insist they are right.  Probably leaning more towards the tri bike though, because I'm serious about wanting to be competitive in tris and I do 99% of my training by myself anyway.

I'm still trying to catch up on everyone's recent posts so that I can join in the conversation, but some of you guys are posting machines
2010-01-18 7:07 AM
in reply to: #2619066

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-17 11:06 PM Ok, I'm still trying to figure out how all this works, but I posted a report from last weekend on my blog.  You all can check it out if you want. 

I did my first spin class today and swam about 350 yards.  I was surprisingly comfortable in spin class, brought back some middle school memories I absolutely loved it.  And then.....the swim brought me back to earth.  I was terrible.  I felt like I was fighting the water, fighting to breathe, fighting not to drown.  I hated it.  After 7 laps, I was done.  Definitely taking individual lessons vs. masters class to begin.  A shot to my pride, but oh well.  In my late teens I was comfortable in the water and faster than just about anyone that wanted to get in the water with me (caveat - we didn't have a swim team).  Now 10 years later, I couldn't survive a game of gator with the tweenies. 

Did some bike shopping this weekend.  Probably more confused than when I started over road/tri bike.  Opinions like A-h*les, everybody's got one, and they all insist they are right.  Probably leaning more towards the tri bike though, because I'm serious about wanting to be competitive in tris and I do 99% of my training by myself anyway.

I'm still trying to catch up on everyone's recent posts so that I can join in the conversation, but some of you guys are posting machines

On the swimming - if you used to be a strong swimmer, you will be again soon.  You just need to get back in the water and put more time in.  Masters did wonders for me as far as getting me in the water.  I have a couple of friends that go, so if I don't show up I have to explain why.  Great motivation.

On the bike, it's hard to say.  You can go either way.  I have a road bike that I got about 10 years ago.  Loved the thing, never thought I'd want another bike.  But last year about this time of year, I knew I was planning on a lot of races over the summer and fall, and wanted to be more competitive.  I was pretty good on my road bike, and I'd get looks from some people with nice tri bikes when I passed them.  But then I was also passed by others on tri bikes.  I wanted to be more competitive so I bought a tri bike last year and it was the best thing for me.  I enjoy riding it so much more.  Now when I hop on my road bike I wonder how I thought it was the best bike ever.  Still a great bike and I use it when I ride some huge hills around here, but my first choice is always the tri bike.  Even in group rides it has been fine because most everyone I ride with has a tri bike only.

Not much help on the bike, but let us know what you decide.  I love it when people get new bikes.
2010-01-18 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2619066

User image

Regular

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-17 11:06 PM And then.....the swim brought me back to earth.  I was terrible.  I felt like I was fighting the water, fighting to breathe, fighting not to drown.  I hated it.  After 7 laps, I was done.  Definitely taking individual lessons vs. masters class to begin. 

Hi Dustin,

Buying a Tri Bike is a headache. If you start reading more 'bout it, it'll just get more confusing. There are some great articles at slowtwitch.com, which will help you to see clearer, e.g. www.slowtwitch.com/Bike_Fit/Tour_de_Bike_Fit_649.html

This is a good starting point, which links to other articles.

And swimming, is, wello just another headache :-)))))

It is just so different to running or biking because it is a much more technical sport (and by the way: what you said about opinions and a##holes is true for swimming, too. Don't get too confused).

Have fun

YouYou

Edited by YouYou 2010-01-18 6:14 PM
2010-01-18 6:27 PM
in reply to: #2618776

User image

Regular

spyguy7540 - 2010-01-17 7:22 PM Great Looking Bike Sesh!

I did my first Duathlon this past year on a Trek Hybrid. Man I felt like a fish out of water. Actually glad to have you all because I picked up a new Bike toward the end of the season and didnt know a ton so I would love to get an opinion on it. I did what research I could looking for a good entry level try bike and I found this one as a Bike shop in New Hampshire. After quite a few days of negotiation we settled on 550.00. Everything is stock with the exception of the aerobars. Its a 2007 but in great shape. 
2007 Felt S32

Aluminum aero frame with a Carbon Fork. Shimano 105 on the front, Ultegra Rears, FSA crank and Ultegra Cassette. It has a basic Shimano Wheel set that I am going to try to upgrade but based on what I have seen on-line 550.00 was a deal. The aerobars were changed out for Profile Carbon bars but aside from that it's stock. Frame size was great and the bike fit seems good. Hopeing I get some life out of it as I am not a wealthy fella. lol What do you guys think?

[img]http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq144/spyguy7540/IMG00161-20100117-1854.jpg[/img]

Hi Andrew,

Great bike - and great deal. It has what you want: steep seat angle, Ultregra rear derailleur, the 105er front derailleur works absolutely fine, too.

I have as well the Shimano 550 on my bike - they are relativley heavy, but sturdy. And one needs sturdy wheels in Montreal, where the streets are 3rd world standard.

Before buying new wheels, try to find some good testa - something which I feel is lacking in US magazines. There is a lot of "I rode them and they feel pretty stiff and fast" talk, but not a lot of numbers.

I am sure that a good cyclist can feel the differences between wheelsets but as nowdays you can easily spend as much money on you wheels as on your biek, it would be great to have some real tests.

I am still reading a German bike magazine where they try to put things into perspective, e.g. by saying if you bike at 40km/h on a 40 k time trail, the wheelset XYZ will save you 23 seconds.

Then, it is up to you to decide if you want to spend 1500 bucks to save 23 seconds.

Havindg said all of that, I have to admit that wheels are just SOOOO sexy :-)))))

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-18 6:33 PM
in reply to: #2618979

User image

Regular

wyldhair - 2010-01-17 9:51 PM

I am so excited to tell you guys about it.  But you will have to wait untill tomorrow, yes, I know it is rude to post a teaser like this. But I am so excited, I just had to say something.

Rochelle

Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it?

And on a side note: Did you run with Ryan Hall, Josh Cox, Chris Lieto, Meb Keflezighi, etc. when they were training this summer in Mammoth? Or have you seen them? That must be quite something to see their tempo runs, etc.!!!!

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-19 12:16 AM
in reply to: #2620525

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-01-18 4:33 PM

wyldhair - 2010-01-17 9:51 PM

I am so excited to tell you guys about it.  But you will have to wait until tomorrow, yes, I know it is rude to post a teaser like this. But I am so excited, I just had to say something.

Rochelle

Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it Who is it?

And on a side note: Did you run with Ryan Hall, Josh Cox, Chris Lieto, Meb Keflezighi, etc. when they were training this summer in Mammoth? Or have you seen them? That must be quite something to see their tempo runs, etc.!!!!

Take care

YouYou

My new coach is Dr. Phil Skiba.  He is the coach for Joanne Zieger, Bjorn Anderrson, Cattriona Morrison, etc,etc.  Dr. Skiba is one of the most respected triathlon coaches in the US, he has published several papers and is quoted often by Joe Friel.  You can check out his website www.physfarm.com.  The man is physical performance genius, all of his goals, training plans and racing strategies are performance based.  I will begin working with him this week, right now we are in the get to know each other phase.... which means I have to fill answer a lot of questions.
I will tell you guys more about him soon.

Other than Chris Lieto, all of those people live here full time and yes, I see them.  I've met Meb several times but haven't really spoken with him, I don't see him much, he has a very different schedule than the rest of the group.  Deena Kastor's husband, Andrew, is my massage therapist, and a lot of the information I have on injuries or form theories come in part from my conversations with him. Both Deena and Andrew are really nice people and Deena makes amazing home made graham crackers and marshmallows.   I don't know Ryan or his wife Sarah, or Josh Cox, or Anna Willard but l I see them in the gym most evenings.   The most frustrating thing about having them around is it always seems like I am on my slow recovery runs when I meet up with them on the trails.  Otherwise, no I don't run with them.  We are on completely different programs and schedules.    

Chris Lieto was in Mammoth twice last year.  I spent some time with him on a few group rides and just before he left he and I we went out for a long ride together.  He is a nice guy. He also gave me some great swimming tips. 

Have a good night everyone.
2010-01-19 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2616794

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

YouYou - 2010-01-15 8:39 PM

I have got one more question regarding a run volume increase. I have always tried to follow the 10% rule, i.e. I try to not  increase my mileage more then 10% per week. Problem is, that if I want to include a fourth run per week the increase would be definitly more than 10%.

Take care

YouYou

I did this just back a few months ago in going from three runs per week, to four, then to five in my half mary training.  It takes a little massaging of the distances.  I cut back on my mid week distances, but added another run.  It kept the total distance relatively the same.  I then did the same when going from four to five.  What I found helpful was also not focusing on ramping up that long weekend run.  I took my sweet time with it.  I was only around 5-7 miles on the weekend when I started adding more runs, and it took me two months to get it to 10.  All in all, I went from 15 miles one week to 27 one week in 8 weeks time.  That's only an additional 1.5 miles per week and actually floats just under the 10% "rule." 

I know I was a victim of focusing far too much on a single training day rather than total volume.  Still am to an extent, but I'm planning on breaking free from that this year.  One of my toughest obstacles was getting out there more often, instead of just getting out there longer on one day.  My body can recover much better from a three to four miler from day to day.  So, I can do something like three 3 milers, a four miler, and a six miler (that's the plan this week) for a total of 19 miles.  Better than a 5,5,6.  While those runs are closer in distance to an OLY run, I'm actually getting three more miles per week in, and I'm doing them better because my body can handle it.  And from there, I'll slowly add some distance to the weekend run, and bump the three mile midweeks to four. 

2010-01-19 12:22 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

Awesome about the new coach, Rochelle.  I like that you're in the "get to know" phase.  A pro that spoke to us said the relationship with your coach and them 1)understanding what your goals are and 2)Knowing how to get you there are the most important.  I think it really opened some peoples eyes in that Joe Triathlete shooting to COMPLETE their first IM might not need a seasoned pro as a coach.  A coach who has been there and done that in terms of dealing with families, work, etc. might be the way to go.  Simple time management and steering them in the right direction with training volumes might be what they need.  When Joe Triathlete is starting to get good and want's to get really fast, a new coach who knows more training specifics would be helpful.  Then, probably in your case, when wanting to find their peak, a true professional coach is the way to go.

2010-01-19 5:19 PM

New user

Houston
I had my first DNF this weekend.  It was my goal marathon for this year, Houston. I'm still evaluating what happened and I'm anxious to post some thoughts here.  Funny how non-endurance athletes just don't understand.  I know my friends at work are just trying to be nice but whey they say, "Oh, 18 miles is just great.  GREAT job!!! At least you got 18 miles."  Well, that just burns me up.  Like that was my goal, to just start the race and see how far I could get.  Grrrr!!! But I know you guys will understand.

Let me start by telling you a few things about myself.  I'm a former morbidly obese couch potato. I maxed out at 375 before deciding to get my life back.  Long story short, starting in 2005, I started losing weight and exercising, namely running.  I had ankle surgery (not related to running), came back from that and dropped down to 295 before running my first marathon (Houston) in 2007.  The following year, I let a ginormous project at work eat me alive. I stopped running, started stress eating and put on almost ALL the weight I had gained.  I got up to 355 pounds.  So, back in Nov 2009, I began what HAS to be the last journey down the road to health and fitness.  I really believe this is my last chance.  Anyway, I got back to the starting line of the Houston marathon this last Sunday in the best shape of my life, weighing 275 pounds.

Now, the DNF.  Well, again, short story is I was running GREAT, right on my goal pace, and about mile 17 I started cramping a little bit. The lil' bit of cramping turned into a LOT of cramping in my calves, my thighs, my hammys, and my back.  Had I been closer to the finish, I would have gutted it out and been a hero but I decided there that being 8 miles from the finish was too much and I wasn't going to risk injury just for a race.  Live to race another day, right?

As near as I can figure (along with some of my most trusted and knowledgeable coaches and friends) is that my mind was incredibly well-prepared for the time goal that I had and I went out with the intention of DOING it.  But we question whether my training was such that I was just not ready for that.  I really believed I could get that time but I just wasn't ready physically.  If you look at my training log, it's pretty plain to see that my goal was not in line with my training.  Funny thing is I REALLY felt good running at that pace. I really thought with the taper and carb loading that I could do it.  So, I think that's why my legs seized up.  The body just said, THAT'S ENOUGH.

Don't fret for me because I learned so much from this race.  You see, if one term characterizes all my training and all my efforts up to just a week before the race, it's "FEAR". See, I'm BIG. And I'm slow. And the marathon I picked has a 6 hour time limit.  I think I trained this whole season in FEAR that I would not make it, that I would not get a medal, that I would not see all my friends after the race, that I would fail.  Just a week before the race, I started working with a couple folks that my dietitian referred me to who helped me understand the POWERFUL affect the mind can have on the body, even when you're injured. I started seeing these couple of guys because I had a nagging ache in my heel after my longest long run of 23 miles on the weekend of Christmas.  Anyway, they helped me to get POSITIVE.  I hung my head on words like "Fun" and "Challenge" and "Goal" and "Love" instead of "Can I?" and "Cutoff time" and "What if I don't...". I had a complete revelation when it comes to positive thinking.  Several times a day leading up to the race, I would visualize in my head a picture of the finish line and the absolute perfect ending to my race.  I saw it over and over in my head, right down to what the clock said.  I know this sounds like crazy talk but this really works.

Anyway, I never felt better starting a race and was running a perfect race.  I believed the whole way.  When I started to get a little tired, I would not allow a single negative thought to enter my mind. Goal, Challenge, Love, Fun, Finish.  Those were my words.  So, when the cramping came, and it was severe leg cramping, like I couldn't even walk, I was very surprised because at that point, everything I visualized in my head was coming true right under my feet.  I realized real quick after I almost did a face plant trying to stretch the cramp out that I was too far from the finish to gut it out and that I would live to fight another day.  I walked a half mile or so with cramps to the next aid station and called wifey poo to come get me.

So, I hope you can see that even though I DNF'd, it was an incredibly successful race for me.  It was the first long race where my mind was not the limiting factor.  My body was, for whatever reason. Now, the next steps are to get my body to where my mind thinks it should be instead of the other way around.

Edited by vickaiser 2010-01-19 5:19 PM
2010-01-19 6:05 PM
in reply to: #2616794

User image

Mammoth Lakes
YouYou - 2010-01-15 6:39 PM

I guess that given the fact that the training runs for a marathon can be pretty long, the author felt the need to include a shorter run. There is the  

For my half marathon training I started to build my long run (yesterday I did 12 km), which I will increase almost every week. I keep on doing my medium long run (9-10km) and my « General Aerobic Run » will be a 40 minutes 6-7 km run.

Sorry for the delay in responding.    Hope it isn't to late to help.

My opinion would be to add fourth day of running in as a recovery run and still increase your miles.  The second week you can then either change the 4th day to a General Aerobic Run or increase your overal milage by 10%. 

2010-01-19 6:42 PM
in reply to: #2618359

User image

Mammoth Lakes
karen26.2 - 2010-01-17 10:42 AM Well, I did the HR test and it really was not that bad because the hard part is only the last 2 minutes.  I struggled with trying to keep my HR at a specific number though.  Minute one I was already above 145 at the start from the warm up so I walked to get it down and then fell to low.  Minute 2 was easier but still I was either too high or too low.  I know I have a hard time staying in zones, and this confirmed it for me.  My watch was constantly beeping and telling me I was too high or too low, and as I started to get it right the minute was up and I had to increase it again.

Minute 4 was the first time I could actually pick up the pace and feel like I was running as opposed to just jogging.  Then all of a sudden that minute was over and I had the last all out sprint minute.  That was painful but was over before it I knew it also.  I timed it badly on the path I ran on and the last minute was mostly on a wood boardwalk that was kind of slippery from the rain.

I still need to get my resting HR to be able to plug the numbers into the formula, but I do have a question -

On the last minute, I don't really feel like I had enough time to get to my max HR.  Is the test supposed to get you to your absolute max HR, or just what your max HR is during this test?  Like for example, my max HR for that last minute was 186, and the average was 183.  I know my HR can get higher than 186 because I've seen it higher.  Not often, but it happens.  So did I do the test wrong?  Should I redo it and try to do a better job leading up to that last minute and see if I get a higher HR?  Could a person have different results on different days depending on how they are feeling and what they did the day before?

And one more question - for someone who knows their zones and trains using their zones.  If a particular workout calls for a Z2 run, does it matter where in Z2 their HR is?  If my Z2 is 153 - 162, should I try to be as close to 162 as possible without going over to push the upper limit?  Does it make a difference if you run @ 155 vs. 160, both are in Z2 but on different ends of the range.  Just curious if it really matters.

And how do you stay in zones?  Practice?  I'm obviously horrible at it.

When do we get the bike test?

Wow the week goes by so fast...I thought I posted the bike test last week, but I can't find it so maybe I forgot to hit "submit"?  I'll get it up ASAP. I also have the second weeks posting almost ready to post.

The test is suppose to get you to as close as you can to your Max HR.  I wrote the test up to work for about 98% of the population, however you may be one of those people that have an abnormally high heart rate... for example in the very high 190's or 200's.  (not that this is bad, just not the standard).

You asked can your Max HR vary from day to day?  YES.
The cold, fatigue, and a poor nights sleep will make it lower, being out of shape or well rested, and dehydrated will make it higher.    This is one of the reasons that I feel the accuracy of the test really isn't that important until you start training in a very accurate environment such as where a coach and trainer monitoring everything on a daily basis.  

If you have seen your HR over 190 then I would suggest doing the test again but this time increase your heart rate by 10 beats each minute from when you complete the warm up. But if you have only seen it a little higher a few times them I would say you were effected by your weather and trail conditions and use the test or highest that you have seen it in the last six months.

Does it matter where in a zone you run.  No, except for zone 5.  Otherwise, you get the same benefit from being in the bottom of the zone or the top of the zone.  And since the accuracy really isn't that important you don't have to worry floating a little above and a little below for short periods of time.  The best way to practice staying in a zone is to start a run easy and slowly work your way into it.  I set my alarm on my watch for the top of the zone and it reminds me when I go over and then I back off.  In a few weeks you will start to feel where you are.   For example, going from zone 2 to zone 3 requires a bit more oxygen and I notice that as soon as I go from zone 2 to 3 I take one deep breath, it happens every time before my HR Alarm goes off so it is a clue that I am going to hard.  This deep breath is very common at zn 2/3 some people call it the opening of breath.  There are other clues that you start to notice at the other zones as well. But sorry to say practice makes perfect.  Once you start to do it consistently it will take about 2-4 weeks to be less of a conscious effort.
2010-01-19 6:48 PM
in reply to: #2622796

User image

Regular

wyldhair - 2010-01-19 7:05 PM
YouYou - 2010-01-15 6:39 PM

Sorry for the delay in responding.    Hope it isn't to late to help.

My opinion would be to add fourth day of running in as a recovery run and still increase your miles.  The second week you can then either change the 4th day to a General Aerobic Run or increase your overal milage by 10%. 

Given my normal running speed, a recovery run would be a fast walk for me :-)))))))))))))))))))))

Thanks a lot! I will do it this way and let you know how it goes!

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-19 6:52 PM
in reply to: #2618776

User image

Mammoth Lakes
spyguy7540 - 2010-01-17 4:22 PM Great Looking Bike Sesh!

2007 Felt S32

I think you got a great deal.  Have you taken it out for a ride yet? 
2010-01-19 7:00 PM
in reply to: #2621345

User image

Regular

sesh - 2010-01-19 9:59 AM

YouYou - 2010-01-15 8:39 PM

Take care

YouYou

I did this just back a few months ago in going from three runs per week, to four, then to five in my half mary training.  It takes a little massaging of the distances.  I cut back on my mid week distances, but added another run.  It kept the total distance relatively the same.  I then did the same when going from four to five.  What I found helpful was also not focusing on ramping up that long weekend run.  I took my sweet time with it.  I was only around 5-7 miles on the weekend when I started adding more runs, and it took me two months to get it to 10.  All in all, I went from 15 miles one week to 27 one week in 8 weeks time.  That's only an additional 1.5 miles per week and actually floats just under the 10% "rule." 

I know I was a victim of focusing far too much on a single training day rather than total volume.  Still am to an extent, but I'm planning on breaking free from that this year.  One of my toughest obstacles was getting out there more often, instead of just getting out there longer on one day.  My body can recover much better from a three to four miler from day to day.  So, I can do something like three 3 milers, a four miler, and a six miler (that's the plan this week) for a total of 19 miles.  Better than a 5,5,6.  While those runs are closer in distance to an OLY run, I'm actually getting three more miles per week in, and I'm doing them better because my body can handle it.  And from there, I'll slowly add some distance to the weekend run, and bump the three mile midweeks to four. 

Bill,

That sounds like a great a approach.

This year I will take as well more weeks for my half marathon preparation. For that reason I have some weeks in which I don't increase the long run. I guess I will add an really easy run in one of these weeks (as suggested by Rochelle one or two posts before).

For me though, it is still important to have and increase the long run. Maybe it's psychological. But going into the race and knowing that I had some longer runs around 16 km gives me more confidence.

Take care

YouYou

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17