BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2010-01-28 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2639097

User image

Expert
Troy, MI
Subject: RE: FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL!

Spinning is a great workout.  Get you legs really used to spinning the bike.  It helps to keep them fresh during a tri, coming off the bike into a run.  Get the feeling for spinning at 90 rpm.  You can carry that over to the road.  It helps build your quads and hip flexors also and burns a ton of calories.  BONUS!  Is it the same as being on a bike, no, but it isn't wasted. 

As far as the logs, most people count it as bike and just put in the time.  As far as logging miles on any bike that isn't moving, be it on a trainer, stationary, or spinning, I personally don't do that.  I want my log to be accurate in miles that I've covered.  That is a personal thing.  Many people log in miles and I have no idea how they figure that out. 

2010-01-28 7:22 AM
in reply to: #2600896

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
I do log miles if I ride on the regular trainer- I take the mileage from my bike computer which is set up to run off the back wheel for winter, and will switch it to the front wheel once I get back on the roads. HOWEVER, a trainer ride, and a spin ride, is still way different than actually riding on the roads. And a normal trainer ride for me is different than a computrainer ride- I just make sure in my notes I say what I was doing. For me, every mile counts.

It's a balmy 18 degrees here today for the high, so we do most of our winter training indoors. That means either a spin bike at the Y (not an option for me) or a trainer to stick the bike on in the basement (better option due to childcare needs). I do run outside, though, simply because I can not afford a treadmill and it takes 10 minutes to drive to the Y, which adds 20 minutes to my workout time right now (and I have limited time away from the baby). Or, if I drag my kids to the Y to run on the treadmill, that is 40 minutes to an hour that they are in childcare there and I'm not a huge fan of putting a baby in with all those germs....

Today it's back to the pool for me. And yes, this means putting both of the youngest kids in the childcare and letting them pick up whatever is going around....ick. But I have to go back sometime!

The run outside last night was cold. I have two more runs scheduled this week and no warm days. YIKES. I can't wait for summer...
2010-01-28 9:18 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Oh how different my day is going to be from what I just wrote.

The Universe is telling me not to go swim today. Since I posted-
-it started snowing. BIG heavy snow.
-the toddler started sneezing and snotting all over. Guess she is next to get the cold the oldest had.
-the baby got super clingy and cuddly.

I was already feeling anxious about putting the baby into the germy childcare. So, we're staying home. I'll ride instead and do the core work I skipped yesterday.
2010-01-28 2:40 PM

User image

Expert
Lovey--our Y hosts an indoor ironman challenge in February which is just doing the ironman distance swim bike run within that month. They counted spin class for the miles and used the time, but I can't recall how many miles they gave you....I'd ask your Y or spin class instructors if they can give you an idea. Not sure if I'm going to take the indoor ironman challenge this year, as I am just getting my feet wet again (literally) in the pool. But, it is a nice idea. Maybe a nice group challenge?? Anne??

I am doing all my workouts indoors. Wisconsin is just too cold and slippery to do anything outside for this wimp.

My little one did really good at the Y watch today. I was surprised. I know what you mean about germs....well, they say kids exposed to dirt and dander build better immune systems than kids who have neat freak parents. If that is true, my kids should have immune systems of steel.
2010-01-29 8:04 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Sure- we can do a challenge for next Month if you would all like to.

We could do a Half-Ironman challenge or a full Ironman challenge.

Distances-
Half Ironman Challenge : in 1 month, complete
1.2 mile swim
56 mile bike
13.1 mile run

Ironman Challenge:
2.4 mile swim (3.86 km)
112 mile bike
26.2 mile run

I think the HIM challenge would be best for me time-wise....the full Ironman would be more of a challenge since I am not back in the pool regularly.

Thoughts?
2010-01-29 11:28 AM

User image

Arcata, CA
The full iron man distance would definately be a challenge!  I'd like to give the full iron man distance a try.  I think it may be just the challenge to keep me motivated throughout the month of February!  Looking at those distance just astonishes me... I'll be lucky and feel so proud of myself to be able to accomplish those distances in a month, let alone to be able to do that in a day.  Maybe one day, I'll be able to call myself an Ironman.

2010-01-29 1:14 PM
in reply to: #2641909

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Distances-
Half Ironman Challenge : in 1 month, complete
1.2 mile swim
56 mile bike
13.1 mile run

I think the HIM would be a good challenge for me. To clarify, our total swim, bike and run miles for the month of February needs to add up to the HIM distance? Or do we have to do the distance all at once?

The bike will be my biggest challenge since spin bikes don’t have computers. I HAVE A SOLUTION! Last year at the bike expo I bought a bike trainer. Duh!! I can bring my bike in and ride in my basement!! My bike has a computer on it so I could track my mileage. I can get spinerval DVDs at the library if they have it.

Lovey
2010-01-29 2:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
It's your total mileage for the whole month in each of those 3 areas.

2010-01-29 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2642896

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Now I just have to figure out how to set up my trainer. I never even took it out of the box and completely forgot about it.
2010-01-29 5:40 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

Love this idea.  Totally in for the full.  Now I just have to set up the bike with the computer on the trainer.  The run and swim are doable.  Bike, that is my challenge. 

2010-01-29 7:06 PM
in reply to: #2639000

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD

you made me laugh, Phoenix!  Until Jan 1st, when I started training, I was really starting to feel old.  It DOES help to get movin' .. .... That picture is a 4 years old, so don't be fooled...

But hey, by the looks of your picture, you are looking pretty young yourself, right? lol

2010-01-29 7:07 PM

User image

Expert
Oh good. Glad you guys are into it. I'll go for the full and may even pay the five bucks at the Y for the finisher's t-shirt.

Anne, how many yards is 2.4 miles? Is it around 4000 yards? I think that is do-able over a whole month. I'm gonna be most challenged on the bike, but I know biking helps my run.

Ugh. I have to do an 8 mile run this weekend. Wish me luck.
2010-01-29 7:15 PM
in reply to: #2639254

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
I also log all my spinning time as miles.... the spin class at our gym doesn't have computers on them, but the trainers in the big room (with the TVs!) do, so that's where I go.  You can manually adjust your difficulty level too, so I have more control over the workout than I do in a spin class.  (Plus, I don't like it when I have someone  yelling  "Push it... harder!" - just doesn't motivate me!)
2010-01-29 7:19 PM
in reply to: #2643333

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Okay, Lovey... If you're gonna bring your bike in and set it on the trainer, I'll do the same.   There are times when I don't get to the gym (like today), and then I could still get a workout in.  Let me know when you get it set up and I'll get mine going too.... deal?
2010-01-29 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2643181

User image

Regular
Fair Hill, MD
Count me in on the Full!  I'm psyched! 

According to the blogs I have read, a swimming mile = 1650 yards, which if you have a 25 yard pool equals 33 laps
2010-01-29 7:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

This is the race I was waiting for so I can do it before Iron Girl in August.

TRITOWN USA LAUNCHES INAUGURAL WASHINGTON DC TRIATHLONTM
Sunday, June 20, 2010 Race in the Nation's Capital Features Sprint and Olympic Distance Courses; Registration Opens February 1st

www.dctri.com

Lovey

2010-01-29 8:45 PM

User image

Arcata, CA
Phoenix, this may be a strange question but if I send you five dollars plush shipping could you buy and send me a finisher's shirt too.  It may sound wierd but having a collection of t-shirts that show my accomplishments is a great motivator for me.  If not, thats okay but thought it was worth asking.  Thanks!

Laura
2010-01-29 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Hee hee--you ladies are silly tonight. I'll ask at the Y. It's money for them so I don't know why not?

Go Lovey--did you get registered yet?

Thanks for the mile to yard conversion!
2010-01-29 10:21 PM
in reply to: #2644005

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
"Go Lovey--did you get registered yet? "

Registration opens on Feb 1st. I plan to sign up and not freak out about it once I do. Swimming in a race still scares me.
2010-01-30 8:05 AM

User image

Raleigh, NC
I haven't disappeared!  Recently I've only had just enough time to update my training log and that's about it.  It makes me super happy to see the days that I've worked out highlighted - what a great feeling!

Thanks for the suggestion about multivitamins.  I actually have lots around, I just never remember to take them!  I'll start incorporating these into my morning meds so I can be more consistent. 

So crazy weekend - there around at least 5" of snow on the ground in Raleigh!  It snowed all last night and through to this morning...looks like it won't officially end until about 2am tonight. 
I've never run in the snow, but I'd love to try it!  Do any of you have any suggestions for me?
2010-01-30 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Lovey, Lovey, Lovey....I don't snoop on your log every day, but from what I've seen, you are a SHARK in the water!! I realize you need a success like a tri to convince yourself of that, but I think you get exactly what you train for. I ran 12 miles in prep for my half mary and at 12 miles into the race, I was mentally done. I did 65 miles in prep for an MS bike thing that was 75 miles a day for 2 days and at 65 miles, I was looking for the sag wagon--fortunately, there wasn't one around so I had to finish. You've done your swim distance HOW many times now???? You'll be fine!!

No hints for snow running. I did find out there are 2 Y's in the LaCrosse area and the Onalaska one has an indoor running track. Think I'll check it out. Maybe I'll find a nice 80 year old to run with--they might be nice enough to slow down to run with me Seriously, that happened--there was a nice 70 something year old man who was doing the full marathon and he ran with me and kept my mind off stuff until his full course separated us. He was doing a full the week after and was just taking it easy and picked me to jog with. He sent me a card with a picture of him in his younger track days in college afterwards. I'll keep it forever! He also gave me lots of parenting advice like--keep them guessing, be unpredictable. It's helped me a lot.

2010-01-30 2:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sylvania, OH
Tips for running in the snow?

Get a treadmill.

Just kidding.

Only run on cleared surfaces. I run on the roads; but I am in neighborhoods, and they are normally not very busy. Watch your footing and beware of Ice!

Wear lots of light layers and keep your core warm.

They sell snow chains up here for your running shoes- I am guessing it is just for people that run on trails in the snow.

I had an incident on my run today with an A-hole in an SUV. It's all on my training log- I have sore muscles and a hurt knee and am hoping it is all better fast. Wishful thinking.
2010-01-30 4:55 PM

User image

Master
here's your reminder to go sign up for a Challenge team for February to help make and meet goals
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194643&posts=44&start=1

I'm still coughing up my lungs.  gotta love having kids, builds the immunity... gripe gripe gripe.  I slept ~7 hours last night, 8-11PM and 6-10AM.  wait, I seemed to have missed the "night" part of the night.  Oh my.

-Cynthia
2010-01-31 11:09 AM

User image

Raleigh, NC
Anne, I can't believe that happened to you.  What a jerk!!  Yell  How are you feeling today?

I ended up heeding my husband's advice and did NOT go running yesterday.  Here in NC, they suck at clearing the roads and have only in recent years salted before.  We're going to head out for a walk in a little while just to get out of the house.  I'm thinking about doing one of the Fit TV workouts because I miss my workouts!
2010-01-31 11:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I completed the Inaugural CLoud Snapple Half Marathon. It was freezing and it snowed. We finished running on inches of snow. I couldn't see or feel the trail anymore.

See my report and photo:
www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=194880

Lovey
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » FancyPants Group, Part 2- The Ladies Are FULL! Rss Feed  

of 29