BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-13 11:06 AM
in reply to: #2787844

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southern California
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
mchubri`

And boy, do they make a difference in speed.

I had the same experience, had a 800 yard swim last year and I was humming.  My wife said I was one of the first ones out of the water.  It was all downhill from there of course, but I rocked one discipline. 

2010-04-13 11:44 AM
in reply to: #2786756

User image

Veteran
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-12 8:48 PM Happy Monday!

Catching up again...

@Crissy, I'm jealous you do 6 mile training runs...I hope one day I can do those.  Great work!

Believe me...if I can do it anyone can!  I started the Couch to 5K program back in December and could barely run 1 mintue straight the first week (I smoked a pack a day)!  I'm still SUPER slow, but I rarely have to stop running anymore, although  I will if I my legs start hurting if my heart rate starts to get too high.    This past Sunday, I walked for about 3 minutes after the first hour of running to get my heartrate down a little. 

For me, if I set a goal, whether it be time or mileage, before I start I can typically push myself to finish it and sometimes even go further.  If I don't set a goal, it's so much easier for me to come up with reasons to stop running and start walking.  With the goal, I can tell  myself things like "Only 5 more minutes and you don't have to run again for two days!!!".  It might sound stupid, but it really works for me!

As for your fear of fishies...I can't help you there!  I am terified of water!!  I'm taking swim classes though and every time I get in the pool, I make myself breath and tell myself over and over that there is no reason to be scared....I AM NOT going to drown!  It's become a mind over matter thing with me.  All I can tell you is to face your fear and refuse to let the cute little Nemo's (maybe thinking of them that way will help too!) scare you out of the water.  Tell them that if they scare you too much, you'll feed 'em a worm and take 'em home for dinner (my husband's words)...although you wouldn't want to eat Nemo...but you know what I mean!!  Good luck with it!!!
2010-04-13 4:01 PM
in reply to: #2787510

User image

Expert
Raleigh
sungirl919 - 2010-04-13 7:43 AM
titeloops - 2010-04-13 7:06 AM Not sure how to handle a fish phobia. Maybe get a pet goldfish or watch finding nemo over and over. After my OWS on sunday, I didn't want to go back to the pool yesterday. Just so much more enjoyable that doing laps. Plus the wetsuit makes it so much easier!!

Was this your first experience with a wetsuit?  I'm in the market but in my head I'm thinking it can't be all that comfy or easy to swim in...  Opinions?
Was my first swim of any real distance with a wetsuit. I think we swam about a mile. Took about 34 minutes. I swear I hardly kicked at all until me were nearly finished and I wanted to really push a bit. if you get tired with a wetsuit on you can just float for a minute a recover. I had no problem, but I wish I had pulled the suit up as high as possible in the shoulders. I think it slid down a little by the end of the swim and maybe constricted my shoulders a bit. All in all though, it was the most enjoyable swim I ever had.
2010-04-13 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2769357

So the consensus is...get a wetsuit.  I will be faster, therefore fish can't catch me and I will be covered up, therefore fish can't touch me.   Brian, I wish you would have lied and said you never see fish.  LaughingI would like to believe that they are sooo scared of people that they just scatter and stay hidden but if you are seeing them, that doesn't sound like they are scared and hiding.  Justin, I'm glad I'm not alone in the aquatic wildlife aversion.   I'll tell my husband I need a wetsuit, stat!

@ Crissy, that is incredible that you just started running not too long ago!  Congrats on giving up the smoking too.  I started C25K in January on the treadmill and finished it but couldn't make it outside soooo, I started BT's C25k 16 week plan doing it all outside and am on week 4.  I was just running around my block but its too tempting to call it done early so now I force myself to run away from the house and if I want to get back inside, I've gotta make it back or well, I guess I've gotta get back cause otherwise I'm screwed.

So today's riding lesson was cancelled due to the arenas being closed after the rain we had yesterday.  I've only got taekwondo tonite and that's it.  Maybe I'll be dedicated and do the weights I've been avoiding.

Ronda
2010-04-14 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2789728

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Swimfreak17 - 2010-04-13 8:39 PM So the consensus is...get a wetsuit.  I will be faster, therefore fish can't catch me and I will be covered up, therefore fish can't touch me.   Brian, I wish you would have lied and said you never see fish.  LaughingI would like to believe that they are sooo scared of people that they just scatter and stay hidden but if you are seeing them, that doesn't sound like they are scared and hiding.  Justin, I'm glad I'm not alone in the aquatic wildlife aversion.   I'll tell my husband I need a wetsuit, stat!

Ronda,

I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.  Yes, there are times when you do see fish underneath you when you swim.  I won't be the one to lie to you and tell you they're not there.  Tongue out  However, the only time I usually see them is when I'm either just getting in the water or just coming out of the water.  I swim out deep enough that I cannot see the bottom.  I used to feel uncomfortable enough in the water that I stayed close to the shore, so I could pretty much stand up if I needed to stop to rest.  I don't do that anymore. 

Besides, during a race, the last thing you're thinking about is the fish that are in the water.  You're too worried about everything else going on, not getting kicked, pushed, pulled, finding your stroke, sighting, not forgetting to breathe, etc., that you forget about them.
2010-04-14 9:21 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Ronda, I was thinking about your fear of fish last night while out on my ride.  I realized I am deathly afraid of gravel and/or sand on the side of the road while on my bike.  I took one really slow speed spill while on gravel a few weeks back and now everytime i realize I'm riding over it I start to freak.  I'll take fish over gravel any day!  And yes, a wetsuit is worth it.  I got a full from Xterra and only paid $139.  Doesn't have to break the bank.

Some good news from me, I am feeling better finally and today I met my goal weight!  I dropped 24lbs since the start of the year!  I'm pretty excited about that, however I would like to lose another 5-8lbs before July just to be beach ready. 

How is everyone doing?  Is your nutrition in check?  What workouts are planned for today?  I am going to get out for a quick 25 min run at lunch today, 2nd to last run before my 1/2 Marathon this weekend.

2010-04-14 9:44 AM
in reply to: #2790750

User image

Veteran
mchubri` - 2010-04-14 10:21 AM 

Some good news from me, I am feeling better finally and today I met my goal weight!  I dropped 24lbs since the start of the year!  I'm pretty excited about that, however I would like to lose another 5-8lbs before July just to be beach ready. 

How is everyone doing?  Is your nutrition in check?  What workouts are planned for today?  I am going to get out for a quick 25 min run at lunch today, 2nd to last run before my 1/2 Marathon this weekend.

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better and GREAT job on the weight loss!!!  

I went for a 200m swim this morning and I have a 4-5 mile run scheduled for this afternoon.  My nutrition is ok....I'm just STARVING already and stilll have an hour until lunch!!

Good luck on the 1/2 this weekend...I'm sure you'll do great!
2010-04-14 9:45 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
While we are talking about wetsuits, does anyone have a recommendation on full wetsuits on the cheap?  My budget is limited between having to enter the race, buy tri shorts and jersey, tune up my bike, and guy the wetsuit.  And as a teacher married to a teacher with one kid and another on the way, money is always tight!

I've checked out the ads on BT's site and saw that I can get the entry level Xterra for $200 or I clicked another ad that had entry level one's one sale at $150 (though I can't find the ad on the site anymore!) or a used one from wetsuitrental.com.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks,

Nole
2010-04-14 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2790864

User image

Expert
NW NJ
n.k - 2010-04-14 10:45 AM While we are talking about wetsuits, does anyone have a recommendation on full wetsuits on the cheap?  My budget is limited between having to enter the race, buy tri shorts and jersey, tune up my bike, and guy the wetsuit.  And as a teacher married to a teacher with one kid and another on the way, money is always tight!

I've checked out the ads on BT's site and saw that I can get the entry level Xterra for $200 or I clicked another ad that had entry level one's one sale at $150 (though I can't find the ad on the site anymore!) or a used one from wetsuitrental.com.

Thanks,

Nole

Nole, Keep an eye out on Xterra, every once in a while they have these crazy blow-out sales and really drop their prices.  They have a new suit called the volt, it is sleeveless but only $99!
2010-04-14 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2790923

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Can I use the sleeveless in most OWS?  The water temperature is expected to be between 62 - 66 degrees.
2010-04-14 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2790864

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
n.k - 2010-04-14 10:45 AM While we are talking about wetsuits, does anyone have a recommendation on full wetsuits on the cheap?  My budget is limited between having to enter the race, buy tri shorts and jersey, tune up my bike, and guy the wetsuit.  And as a teacher married to a teacher with one kid and another on the way, money is always tight!

Thanks,

Nole

Brian had an excellent suggestion with keeping an eye out for the 1/2 off sale @ Xterra.  My issue with that is I wanted to try several on before renting / buying / using.  There weren't any dealers in my area.  We did have a running store that rented them (Blue Seventy Reaction Full) and I tried one on first.  Ended up renting for my first tri and purchased it the next week.  If you have some place near you that rents them, I suggest trying that first. 

Another option would be to keep an eye here on the classifieds.  You should be able to pick up one that is in good condition for a pretty decent price. 

I was in your exact situation last year, being new to the sport and not having much, other than running shoes and a road bike.  I purchased a used / rented wetsuit, used tri shorts, new tri top, used aero bars, tri saddle, FF seatpost.  All of the used items were purchased off the classifieds here.

2010-04-14 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2790974

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
n.k - 2010-04-14 11:15 AM Can I use the sleeveless in most OWS?  The water temperature is expected to be between 62 - 66 degrees.

The choice is yours on whether you buy a full or sleeveless.  I bought a full, as I needed / wanted all the advantages that a wetsuit offers.  It really is personal choice.  Try on both and use in the water if available, so you can see if the sleeves will impact your swim stroke.
2010-04-14 10:32 AM
in reply to: #2791011

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Cutlass454 - 2010-04-14 11:24 AM
n.k - 2010-04-14 11:15 AM Can I use the sleeveless in most OWS?  The water temperature is expected to be between 62 - 66 degrees.

The choice is yours on whether you buy a full or sleeveless.  I bought a full, as I needed / wanted all the advantages that a wetsuit offers.  It really is personal choice.  Try on both and use in the water if available, so you can see if the sleeves will impact your swim stroke.

X2.  I went with a full also. 
2010-04-14 10:35 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Oh, I wanted to let everyone know, this months issue of Triathlete Magazine has a focus on Nutrition, with great articles on "Ideal Race Weight" "Holistic Nutrition" "Juice Fasting" "Fueling By Feel" and "The 10 best foods to eat, and the ones to avoid"

Worth checking out if you have the opportunity to.
2010-04-14 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
2010-04-14 1:49 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC

I just bought a wetsuit for my race coming up on May 1st.  it is 2XU.  I tried on some sleevless at a local shop and none really fit this clydesdale.  So I did some checking on BT about good suits for clydes and this one came up.  It was about 200.00 which was the top of my price range.  it came the other day and fits much better than the others I have tried on.  Still fat guy in a little coat, dont' get me wrong but I can breath while it is zipped!!!

2010-04-14 2:13 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Thanks for the wetsuit info.  The Xterra sale is great, but I you can't combine it with the BT code which also gets you 50%.  Only a onetime shot.  So the entry level Xterra is still coming in at $200.

And I am a clyde.  About 5'11" and now weighing in at 234 lbs (down 11 so far!).  I'm hoping to keep losing wight so choosing a size is going to be difficult.
2010-04-14 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2791998

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
n.k - 2010-04-14 3:13 PM Thanks for the wetsuit info.  The Xterra sale is great, but I you can't combine it with the BT code which also gets you 50%.  Only a onetime shot.  So the entry level Xterra is still coming in at $200.

And I am a clyde.  About 5'11" and now weighing in at 234 lbs (down 11 so far!).  I'm hoping to keep losing wight so choosing a size is going to be difficult.

Yeah I am about the same 5 10 and today at 230.  I am also hopefully on a downward progression I just hope I can sell it later for about half what it cost me.  If not It will most likely fit for the rest of the season  like I said the XXL is still snug but I assume all wetsuits should be snug. 
2010-04-14 3:26 PM
in reply to: #2792035

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
How's the length?
2010-04-14 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2791051

Veteran
mchubri` - 2010-04-14 11:35 AM Oh, I wanted to let everyone know, this months issue of Triathlete Magazine has a focus on Nutrition, with great articles on "Ideal Race Weight" "Holistic Nutrition" "Juice Fasting" "Fueling By Feel" and "The 10 best foods to eat, and the ones to avoid"

Worth checking out if you have the opportunity to.

sad to see the Cheetos and Cheese banned!!!
2010-04-14 8:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Brian
Thanks for the recommendation on Triathlete Magazine.  I think my weak point is nutrition definitely.  I am in my ninth week and have crashed for some reason.  I have felt that nutrition may be the culprit.  I started training for my first indoor tri February 16th and for 6 weeks did well.  I did the tri March 28th and finished without the involvement of am EMS unit or Emergency room which is what my goal was.  LOL.  Ant trained for two weeks after pretty hard and this week (week 9) i feel like I am totally wiped.  I will be luck to get three training sessions in this week.  Any insight from the group would be helpful.
thanks
Tom

2010-04-14 8:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: Bike Advice
Since this is my first year doing tri i am going to take my cyclocross bike and put aero bars on it as well as tires for the road.  Currently I have 700 x 30 tires on Vuelto XRP Pro super lites.  I am not sure wether to go to a 23 or 25 width.  I am about 235 pounds.  Anyone have any advice? 
Thanks
Tom
2010-04-14 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2792789

User image

Veteran
Tom...How many rest days are you getting a week?  Also, look at your nutrition, if you not eating enough you'll plateau and your energy will lag.  Also, how are you sleeping, too little rest will also cause these issues!  
2010-04-14 9:21 PM
in reply to: #2792798

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
That could very well be.  I have not been sleeping that well at night.  Not really sure why.  I get at least two rest days a week.  I know that I dehydrate easy also.  Last saturday I did a 1600 yard swim and cycled for 45 minutes and just hit the wall.  I had a bad headache the rest of the day.  Lots to think about.
Thanks
Tom
2010-04-14 9:28 PM
in reply to: #2792798

User image

Expert
C-bus
Tom- did you do the Lifetime Fitness indoor tri in Beachwood?  I was there.  My start time was 7:20.  Any finish without the EMS is a successful finish!  Regarding burnout, it may also be that you're going hard all the time.  It's okay to have easy workouts!  Your body needs them just as much as they need to be pushed!  Are you following any training plans?  That's what I do.  Make sure your plan has rest days, hard days, and easy workout days mixed in. 

As for the bike thing, I can't help you there.  I know nothing about them besides the wheels are supposed to go round and around.  Hope someone knowledgable can help!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27