BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2010-06-22 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2773486

User image

Subject: RE: Jford2309's Group - CLOSED
Scott... way to go on the race.  But we do need race pics & report for it to be official.  Wink

Lad... It's funny, before our first tri, it didn't seem real.  So I skipped along like no-problemo.  Until the day before & it was like *WHAM*.  "Yo stupid, your doing a tri tomm!".  Then the nerves began.  The big thing that helped me to calm down was to pack from a list.  I rarely do this, but I'm glad I did this time.  I would have forgot a lot.  For my next tri I want a dedicated tri bag.  Organization helps to calm the nerves.

(37277_1486554133770_1531422797_1195916_2416050_n.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
37277_1486554133770_1531422797_1195916_2416050_n.jpg (86KB - 9 downloads)

2010-06-22 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2933958

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
dalotajr - 2010-06-21 10:13 AM James... congrats!  I know the run portion isn't what you would have wanted.  But when it's THAT hot, a finish is a finish.  Heat does funny things to your body & brain.  

I pick up my bike Thur!  Woo-hoo!!  So excited!  And I'm finally gonna take some swim lessons at the beg. of July.  I'm just not progressing.   

Thanks, yeah the run sucked!  Like I told my wife, it wasn;t that I was tired or hurting, I just didn't want to be out there anymore. The heat hit me quickly! I am just glad I finished!

Good news on the new bike, you will quickly notice a difference! And swim lessons will help you greatly. I know things really started to click when I started doing a Master's Class!
2010-06-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2935384

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
sastuff - 2010-06-21 5:58 PM I can also relate to the heat.  Hot day in Fayetteville, Arkansas on Sunday.  Here are my results from the Ozark Valley Triathlon.  I have not done the Race Log just yet.

Overall 120/212
AG 12/18
2:13:43

Swim 24:37 1000 yds (Very happy)
Bike 59:26 19 miles (Good, could have pushed a little harder)
Run 45:04 4 miles (73 year old man dusted me)

I feel like the run course got the best of me, so I'll be back again next year for a rematch.

Scott

Scoot! Whoo Pig Sooiiee! Sorry, you are probably the only one in the group that would appreciate that yell! Great race !  and I feel ya on the run part! Got nothing for you unfortunately!  lol  I bonked out soon myself, but hey, we did not let it stop us did we?
2010-06-22 2:30 PM
in reply to: #2935642

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
ladlehaus - 2010-06-21 8:48 PM

Congratulations on both of your races Scott and James!  I'll be trying hard to beat your times in my much shorter sprint this weekend.  Someday I'll be swimming, biking, and running that fast.

It must be getting close to my first race because I had my first triathlon nightmare last night.  The race was about to start, and I was in the river with a bunch of other people.  As I look around, half the people don't have a swim cap on.  I don't either. We all had forgotten to check in for the race!  Then I realized that I had forgotten all my new gear at home. I laughed when I woke up.  I figure that it's like the dream that every college student has sometime where it's the end of the semester and they forgot to go to a class all semester.

My race is on Sunday.  It's about an hour away.  They are having packet pickup on Friday and Saturday. Is early packet pickup something mandatory, or could I get it the day of the race at registration?  I'll probably go get it anyway out of plain excitement.  I drove the bike course the other day on our way through.  I was relieved to not find any huge hills  Laughing.  There is a little ice cream place about 3/4 of the way through.  It might be tempting. 

I do not have nightmares about races, but I worry about missing my alarm clock more than anything else. and I always pack my bag the night before and I lay it out by what I need on the run, on the bike and the swim. That way I know everything is in there! (of course, I double and triple check my bag)

I love packet pickup day and I always try to get mine early. There is too much going on for me to worry about getting it the day of the race pesonally, so I would recommend getting it early. JUST DO NOT WEAR THE SHIRT BEFORE THE RACE!  Bad mojo if you do that!

2010-06-22 8:01 PM
in reply to: #2936330

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
dalotajr - 2010-06-22 9:46 AM Scott... way to go on the race.  But we do need race pics & report for it to be official.

Race report posted at http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=214021

Here is a Fathers Day picture.

(IMG_2218_edited-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
IMG_2218_edited-1.jpg (98KB - 9 downloads)
2010-06-23 8:01 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Scott, I left a comment on your race report!  Great looking kids!

2010-06-23 9:18 AM

User image

Posted on the race report also.
2010-06-23 7:07 PM
in reply to: #2938488

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
Question for James.  Although there were no drafting penalties from the race on Sunday, there were some at the race that I did last summer.  At the pre-race, the USAT official said that he would be watching specifically for passing within 15 seconds and impeding other bikers (center of the road).  Not wanting a 2 minute penalty probably made me a little more reluctant to pass and just stay behind far enough so that there would be no question.  Do you push hard to pass and have you ever had anyone speed up?
2010-06-23 7:41 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA
Does this make sense:

This week was week 3 in my program, and a race is on Sunday.  Week 4 is a recovery week.  Due to changing the liner in my pool, I didn't train on Monday or Tuesday.  Shameful, I know.  Embarassed I had planned to take Fri and Saturday off before the race to rest up for it.  That leaves tomorrow to train. Maybe some really light workouts on Friday.  Would it be ok, acceptable, or a good idea to just count this week as the recovery week and start the next month next week?  I already feel so lazy this week, I don't want to add a recovery week after this week.   Or should I stick to the plan?
2010-06-23 9:41 PM
in reply to: #2940107

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
sastuff - 2010-06-23 7:07 PM Question for James.  Although there were no drafting penalties from the race on Sunday, there were some at the race that I did last summer.  At the pre-race, the USAT official said that he would be watching specifically for passing within 15 seconds and impeding other bikers (center of the road).  Not wanting a 2 minute penalty probably made me a little more reluctant to pass and just stay behind far enough so that there would be no question.  Do you push hard to pass and have you ever had anyone speed up?

Yes I push hard and pass when I can. We are in a race. With that being said, I also do not slow down and let someone pass me, I make them work for it. The rule says that once your front wheel overtakes the rider, then they must drop back 3 lengths. It always says that if you do not pull off the pass in 15 seconds once you start it, then you can be penalized also! In all the races I have participated in, I have never heard of anyone getting a penalty for not completing a pass in the allotted time, but I have seen many penalties issued for drafting.

I know a guy who is a USAT official and I will get you the rule about this. Hope that helps.
2010-06-23 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2940158

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
ladlehaus - 2010-06-23 7:41 PM Does this make sense:

This week was week 3 in my program, and a race is on Sunday.  Week 4 is a recovery week.  Due to changing the liner in my pool, I didn't train on Monday or Tuesday.  Shameful, I know.  Embarassed I had planned to take Fri and Saturday off before the race to rest up for it.  That leaves tomorrow to train. Maybe some really light workouts on Friday.  Would it be ok, acceptable, or a good idea to just count this week as the recovery week and start the next month next week?  I already feel so lazy this week, I don't want to add a recovery week after this week.   Or should I stick to the plan?

I would stick to the plan honestly. I raced Sat and my HIM plan calls for me to be on a recovery week, which is what I am doing now. I like to give myself two full days of rest before a race, so I would say to do amedium workout, get the blood going, but nothing to stressful, and then use the two days befre your race to relax. Stick to the plan next week.

2010-06-24 9:06 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Back to Scott's question:

Yes, I push hard to pass them. Here is the response I got from the USAT Official:

someone "not completing a pass in the allotted time" is called for drafting, that's the rule it falls under.

Here's an example from the last race i called: an experienced (15 years+) triathlete was playing it close and staying 4-5 bike lengths behind a guy going as fast as him. That's fine, that's a form of legal drafting. However, a few times over the course of a mile or so his attention lapsed, the guy in front of him slowed, wahtever, but he closed within the three bike length limit, them backed out again to his 4-5 length margin. OK, right? Nope, once he gets into that 3-bike zone, the only way legally out is through the front by completing the pass. Thus he was called for drafting.
2010-06-24 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2940934

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
Thanks, t?hat answers the question.? ? ??I? ?n?e?e?d? ?t?o? ?b?e? ?a? ?l?i?t?t?l?e? ?m?o?r?e? ?a?g?g?r?e?s?s?i?v?e? ?o?n? ?t?h?e? ?b?i?k?e?.
2010-06-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2928987

User image

Taylorpsu- Glad your back.  What races do you have planned this year?

Edited by wandering1 2010-06-25 8:39 AM
2010-06-25 8:43 AM
in reply to: #2935642

User image

Good luck, Ladlehaus, on your race.  It's a place to start. 
2010-06-27 7:01 AM

User image

Question...  Last night Tracy and I rode a relatively short ride and when I got home I noticed the seems on both sides of my bike pads had rubbed my skin bloody.  The shorts feel a bit big in the waist and booty area but not at all in the thighs, which have gotten bigger.  The next size down probably won't fit my thighs.  What is one to do?

2010-06-27 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2946147

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
This should never happen on a short ride.  Think of the consequences on a longer ride.

First of all, make sure you treat the chafing to ensure that it does not get infected.  I have seen this take a person out for an entire season when they ignored it or tried to ride through it.  Take a few days to heal if you need to.

Second, examine your bike seat closely.  If the seat is causing the chafing, you will need to find another one.  There are women specific saddles that you may want to look at.  Take your bike to the shop and let them see if they can find a better fit.  Remember, everyone is different - a saddle perfect for you will not necessarily be perfect for someone else.

Lastly, there are products are out there that really work:  Chamois Butt'r, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, and Body Glide to name a few.  Your bike shop should have something like this in stock.

Scott
2010-06-27 7:25 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA
Well, I did it.  It wasn't pretty at all, but I finished my first tri today.  Smile

Huge thanks to everyone in this group for making it possible.  

The morning started great.  Had everything packed last night.  My son, who is often very hard to wake up, woke right up excited for the kids race today.  We were running a little behind schedule, but not too much.  When I went out to the garage to get my bike, the back tire was flat.  It all went to hell after that.  Laughing

A stop at Walmart to buy a wrench to remove the back tire, my son's forgotten bike helmet, my forgotten wetsuit, and my daughter's forcefully expelling nasty stuff from all possible places from her body, left me setting off for the race by myself at about the time I had planned on arriving in the first place.  The trip to where the race was usually takes us 45-50 minutes.  I made it in 30. Surprised

I fixed the tire, barely made check-in, and got everything set up just in time for the race meeting to start. The swim course looked pretty reasonable.  The olympic swim looked insanely long. I figured since I'd been swimming 2-3 times the 400 yards the swim was in training that it would be pretty easy.  I haven't been more wrong in recent memory.  I thought I was pacing myself pretty well, but on the final stretch back into the beach I couldn't catch my breath.  Even flipped over backstroking.  The only thing I can figure out was that my wetsuit was making it harder to breath, and I didn't notice until it was too late.  My poor spotting ability didn't help either.  I foresee more OWSs throughout the rest of the summer.

I should have just sat down in T1 and caught me breath and pulled it together, but I set right out.  The course was nearly all uphill the first four miles.  The big hill nearly did me in.  I was feeling sick and spent.  I couldn't go on and sat down in a ditch beside the road to throw up. I didn't throw up, but sat there calming down thinking about how nice a ride back to the parking lot would be.  And driving home instead of a 5k.  I could probably get away with telling my family that I must have caught the stomach bug from my daughter, and they would buy it.  But what would James and my fellow Jfordians say if I DNF'd?  Some guys brought me some water and made sure I was alright.  I picked up my bike and walked it up the hill.  There the guy lied to me and told me it was pretty flat after that. But I continued, and had the time of my life on the downhills that followed.

The run was more of a jog/nature hike.  I ran what I could and walked what I had to.  There was a lot of nice encouragement during the run.  I left T2 with a 76-year-old woman.  She left me in the dust. Smile

I finished with an obnoxiously slow time that very well may have put me DFL.  But I finished.  And even my obnoxiously slow time is faster than the people sitting on the couch.  I thought about you guys a lot on the race today.  Thanks again for all the encouragement you've given me.  I'm glad I raced today.  It gave me some experience and showed me how far I still have to go.
2010-06-27 9:18 PM
in reply to: #2946969

User image

Woot!  We have another triathlete in the group!!!  

You know we need pics & a race report.  Wink

Edited by dalotajr 2010-06-27 9:19 PM
2010-06-27 9:47 PM
in reply to: #2946969

User image

Little Rock, Arkansas
Congratulations Tom!  And good gosh, talk about adversity.  You really fought through everything today, so kudos to you.  You had many reasons not to even show and still brought your game.

I can relate to that T1, you have to resist the urge to lay down in the grass for a few minutes.  Best thing to do is to keep moving and try to catch your breath with an easy spin on the bike.

As for the 70+ year olds - I hope that is me in 30 years!

Lay down your plan for the next one!

Scott
2010-06-28 9:14 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
That was the coolest race report I have read in awhile!  This is what triathlons are all about in my opinion!  Overcome adversity and pushing yourself to the limits!  I have had those last minute repairs to be made, I have had the family issues pop up when all I want to do is get out on the road, I have had those moments of utter despair to where I just want to quit (last weekend as a matter of fact) and I have also had the thoughts of "I do not want to let my group know I quit"!

And this is what the mentor group is all about. Having people to hold you accountable and to push yourself to conquer your goals. I am proud of you!  Now you know what to expect, your next one will go smoother and the next one will be even more smoother! Shoot, I am still finding out things that make my races go better each time.

This report really reminded me of my first Olympic Tri where I thought I would not make it to the first buoy because either I would drowned or they would pull me out because I was struggling so much! I also remember getting on the bike afterwards and being so dizzy I just knew I was going down, and I remember the walking I did. It was alot! But them I look at that same race the next year and I cut off 45 minutes of my overall time!!  So keep it up! Train hard and use this as your stepping stone to your next race.

Nice work!

2010-06-28 7:50 PM

User image

I have a training question.  I've pretty much been using one of the training plans for newbies off of the site here.  It sets a time range for workouts but doesn't say anything on exertion or distance.  Should I be worrying about heart rate training now?  Drills?  Or just go full out for the shorter training sessions & mod for the longer ones??
2010-06-28 10:44 PM

User image

Regular
Western PA
The race report is up.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=215041&posts=1&start=1

I'm happy to report that contrary to my expectations following the race, I was not DFL.  I wasn't last on the swim or bike either (we'll just not talk about the run).  Laughing  Since the family was home sick, the only picture I have is the one on the report, and it was taken hours after by my son for the sole purpose of putting on facebook.  

Tracy, I'm in the same boat with the beginner plan. I've just done the time trying to maintain a pace.  On the short days, I try to go a little faster than the long days.  I wear a heart rate monitor because I like looking at the nice graphs the computer shows me when I'm done.  Lately, when I check my heartrate, I can give a pretty good guess before looking.  I have been thinking about adding some swimming drills though.
2010-06-30 9:06 AM
in reply to: #2949554

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
dalotajr - 2010-06-28 7:50 PM I have a training question.  I've pretty much been using one of the training plans for newbies off of the site here.  It sets a time range for workouts but doesn't say anything on exertion or distance.  Should I be worrying about heart rate training now?  Drills?  Or just go full out for the shorter training sessions & mod for the longer ones??

Personally I do not use HR monitors wen I train. I tried it but didn't like always looking at it and trying to stay within the parameters they set. Most training plans will give you specifics on what he run is suppose to be (like 30 minute run, strides every 5 minute, or they will give you RPE of 5 (medium effort). I would say that you should not go all out on the shorter ones everytime and you should not go mod for the longer ones all the time, but there should be a balance in there.

Here is a quote I have in my office about training, keeps me in the right mindest to do speedwork!

"Your body is very efficient and will only adapt itself to the stresses that you place upon it. If all you ever do is ride 20 mph or run 9:00 miles, your body will not be forced to adapt to perform more work"
2010-06-30 9:11 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
I need to vent a little, then I have a suggestion for the team.

I am tired of swimming. My HIM plan had me swim almost 20,000 yards this MONTH. Almost 12 miles of swimming. That is alot of sswimming in my book. I am almost hating seeing that I have another swim in the morning. It seems excessive to me, but I am trusting the plan and I will do every last yd and flip turn required, but man, it seems like alot!

Now, since tomorrow is a new month, I thought I would challenge everyond to set a monthly goal for July. You should keep in mind when setting this goal any races you have planned. It can be a goal of swimming, biking, running or any combo of the three. This way, we can all ride your butt if you do not make it like good teammates should! Any takers?

My goals:

Run 50 miles
Bike 175 miles
Swim 10 miles

This will add about 10 miles to my monthly running, about 45 miles to my biking and subtract 2 miles from swimming.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jford2309's Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 10