BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-29 9:03 PM
in reply to: #2827247

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-04-29 7:53 PM Does everyone have special gear to ride in the rain/cold, and do you actually ride in real rain?

I'll run in anything (as this past winter running in NH proved to me) but I only ride when the weather is co-operative.  If a tri happens in rain or freezing cold, I think I'd be in trouble.  I've only really ridden once in real rain, and that was the second day of a charity ride so it wasn't a race and we went pretty slow with plenty of stops.

As long as there is no snow, ice or thunder I will ride in almost any weather. I have a nice collection of different types of gear that I've built up over the years by finding good deals on closeouts and sales. The hard part is knowing what works best for you at different temps. You want to be warm, but not get overheated. It helps to have things that you can peel off, such as arm or leg warmers.

The other issue is bike handling. I find that my bike handles well in the rain, and I just take it a little easy while being extra cautious on turns and stopping. The brakes will be a little less effective because your rims are wet, so you can pump them a little to dry them off. Also, painted lines are extra slippery, and any metal, like manhole covers, is like ice.

Here's a little stormy riding story you might find funny. It was a windy, rainy, mid 30's day. Actually a pretty bad "nor'easter" because some of the local farms received FEMA funds because of flood damage. I was climbing up a hill at about 10MPH, and a car pulled along side me, the driver rolled down the passenger window and just looked at me. I just looked over at him and said "good morning!" and he just shook his head and drove off. Maybe not a great story, but I found it very funny at the time.

Anthony

2010-04-29 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

NH
That's awesome Anthony; priceless moment.  Reminds me that so many think we're all nuts.
2010-04-30 5:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Thats a good one, Anthony,  my first time out this year I was riding with a group of three.  It was everyones first ride for the year.  Everyone. except for me had taken the old can't remove the cleat from the pedal fall, now each took the fall when no one else was around.

We approach a traffic light with a large group waiting to cross and a good amount of cars waiting at the light.  You can guess...my turn.  I approached too fast and before I knew it I paniced, could not get unclipped fast enough...like slow motion...over I go.  Everyone got a good laugh...including myself.  A guy waiting at the light asked if I was hurt...my group answered for me "just his pride".
2010-04-30 9:40 AM

User image

NH
I love hearing about clip fall stories, as long as they didn't involve injury!

I had some fun storm moments running this winter.  Typically just one of those 10 degree blizzard mornings where people are bundled up and shoveling or snow-blowing their driveways, and I'd run by and wave and they'd just shake their head and laugh.
2010-04-30 10:01 AM

User image

Oklahoma
BIKE LIGHT - hey guys, I am thinking about riding early in the morning, slightly pre-dawn.  Do any of you have headlights that you especially like?  I have several blinky red lights, but am not satisfied with my headlight.
2010-04-30 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2827659

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-04-30 6:01 AM
We approach a traffic light with a large group waiting to cross and a good amount of cars waiting at the light.  You can guess...my turn.  I approached too fast and before I knew it I paniced, could not get unclipped fast enough...like slow motion...over I go.  Everyone got a good laugh...including myself.  A guy waiting at the light asked if I was hurt...my group answered for me "just his pride".

Why does there always seem to be an audience Amazing how it happens in slow motion, but you still can't do anything about it.

My first clipless fall was in my driveway with my wife and youngest kid watching. Wouldn't have been so bad except the reason my wife was watching was because I was trying to explain why, after spending all that money on a bike, I had to spend even more money on stupid pedals that don't even look like pedals.

Anthony

2010-04-30 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2828153

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-30 10:40 AM I love hearing about clip fall stories, as long as they didn't involve injury!

Absoliutely. Luckily we are usually standing still when they happen

I had some fun storm moments running this winter.  Typically just one of those 10 degree blizzard mornings where people are bundled up and shoveling or snow-blowing their driveways, and I'd run by and wave and they'd just shake their head and laugh.

Do you mean to say that some people don't think that it is "normal" to run in 10 degrees and snow

Anthony
2010-04-30 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2828217

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-04-30 11:01 AM BIKE LIGHT - hey guys, I am thinking about riding early in the morning, slightly pre-dawn.  Do any of you have headlights that you especially like?  I have several blinky red lights, but am not satisfied with my headlight.

I don't ride in the dark, but I do ride in the pre dawn time when it's just about light enough to see the road without a headlight, but dark enough that I want a light so that cars can see me. I have 2 inexpensive headlights that I use. I don't remember the brand, but the kind that are like 20 or 30 dollars and work on 2 or 3 AA batteries. I set one to blink and 1 on steady. I don't think they would be bright enough to see very far ahead if it were nighttime, but I think they make me more visible. I also turn them on when it is raining.

Anthony
2010-04-30 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2828358

User image

Oklahoma
amschrod - 2010-04-30 10:37 AM

My first clipless fall was in my driveway with my wife and youngest kid watching.

The driveway seems to be a popular place to topple over.  That was the location of my first fall too.  I did however get an injury - I even posted a picture on Facebook!

(Photo 5.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Photo 5.jpg (84KB - 8 downloads)
2010-04-30 2:39 PM

User image

NH
I've read a few logs where people are experiencing some issues.  If anyone has any soft tissue problems, check this link out.  Leigh is starting a website with all the self treating advice on how to help you keep yourself training and off the sidelines.
2010-04-30 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2829117

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-04-30 3:39 PM I've read a few logs where people are experiencing some issues.  If anyone has any soft tissue problems, check this link out.  Leigh is starting a website with all the self treating advice on how to help you keep yourself training and off the sidelines.

Thanks for the link! I took a quick look at the website and it looks good. I am looking forward to checking it out in depth. I even like the name: "Athletes Treating Athletes."

Anthony

2010-04-30 4:02 PM

User image

Expert
Since Calvin/Triton63 has his first tri this weekend, I wanted to mention the Race Report section here. I like writing a race report because it helps me remember everything about a race, so I know what I did well and not so well which helps me to improve. Also, you can look at race reports from previous years for races that you are interested in to get an idea of what they are like.

I hope you all do race reports of all your races because they will help you, plus I am definitely going to want to read them.

Anthony
2010-04-30 4:20 PM

User image

NH
Definitely do the race reports, and write enough to help you remember pros, cons, and things you'd change.  If you haven't read any, go read them - I read lot of them for great motivation and sometimes laughs.
2010-04-30 5:07 PM
in reply to: #2828413

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-04-30 11:49 AM

The driveway seems to be a popular place to topple over.  That was the location of my first fall too.  I did however get an injury - I even posted a picture on Facebook!

Somehow I didn't submit my reply to this earlier today, but anyway: OW!! Looks like maybe the big chain ring got you.

Anthony
2010-04-30 8:25 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
I will post a race report as soon as I get back Sunday.  I am leaving tomorrow morning at 10 to go register and attend a Transition clinic held at the registration point.  My son is going with me as my pack mule and cheerleader. 

I am excited, nervous, and disappointed in my training up to this point.  I will just have to use this to set goals for other events this summer.  The goals I set back in December when I decided to do this do not seem very makable now.  Maybe in another month or two. 

Thanks for all the great tips and encouragement.  Have a great weekend!
2010-04-30 8:39 PM

User image

Wilmington NC
Hey everyone!
    I am a little late coming to the party but Anthony invited me to join as I was in his group last year.  I am a runner by nature but started my "tri life" last year.  I did 4 sprints before becoming pregnant and not training very much at all.  Erica Jane is now 3 months old and I am slowly getting back in the grove of training again.  I have only been on the bike once, run a bit and havent seen the water since last may.  I have a 5k on May 15th for my comeback race.  I am very slow these days, will be quite a diffrence from my time last year but there have been a lot of changes since then!  This weekend is the anniversary of my first open water swim tri- wish I could do it this year but oh well, maybe next time.
  I am also a physical therapist so If you have any questions about injuries I will try to help best I can.
Thanks for letting me join!
Hope all is well
Paula

2010-04-30 9:02 PM
in reply to: #2829638

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
triton63 - 2010-04-30 9:25 PM I will post a race report as soon as I get back Sunday.  I am leaving tomorrow morning at 10 to go register and attend a Transition clinic held at the registration point.  My son is going with me as my pack mule and cheerleader. 

I am excited, nervous, and disappointed in my training up to this point.  I will just have to use this to set goals for other events this summer.  The goals I set back in December when I decided to do this do not seem very makable now.  Maybe in another month or two. 

Good Luck and most of all have fun...your training will pay off!
2010-04-30 9:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Welcome Paula, are you training for a race this year? 
2010-05-01 3:36 AM

Mooresville
Calvin, Great luck to you. You will do great.
2010-05-01 3:39 AM
in reply to: #2829656

Mooresville

Hey Paula, glad you could join.

2010-05-01 4:14 AM
in reply to: #2829915

Mooresville
I've got a question for you guys. How many calories/carbs/fats should I be eating daily. I have researched the snot out of it and I can't seem to find a consistent answer. I'm presently 258lbs and exercise routinely. I take in between 2000-3000 calories a day. Any thoughts from the team? 

2010-05-01 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2829921

User image

NH
Jaybird333 - 2010-05-01 5:14 AM I've got a question for you guys. How many calories/carbs/fats should I be eating daily. I have researched the snot out of it and I can't seem to find a consistent answer. I'm presently 258lbs and exercise routinely. I take in between 2000-3000 calories a day. Any thoughts from the team? 

Jay, I could go on for hours and hours on this topic.  It's my real passion.  I actually would like to make nutrition a second career if I can figure out how to manage it and keep the house.  I advise some athletes on nutrition, though they tend to be in more "explosive" sports than ours - either football, hockey, or body building.  I'm still learning about nutrition specifically for endurance athletes.  Mostly the differences I'm seeing are not major overhaul of concepts, but realigning some specific balances of carbs/protein/fat.

I don't have a ton of time today, but at some point I can share as much as you want on the topic, maybe offline because it can get lengthy and specific for you.

The short answer is that specific diet details depend on exactly what you want to do (fat loss, performance peaking, muscle gain, etc) and it's also dependent on your own body and physiology.  I know that's not really an answer, but it's the truth.

The core elements of any good diet are pretty basic though not always easy to follow: eat as many foods without an ingredient list as possible, eat everything as close to the source as possible (unprocessed and local is almost always better), any grains you eat should be whole grains, fats are not your enemy, don't starve yourself, cheat every once in a while.

2010-05-01 8:51 AM

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-04-30 9:25 PM I will post a race report as soon as I get back Sunday.  I am leaving tomorrow morning at 10 to go register and attend a Transition clinic held at the registration point.  My son is going with me as my pack mule and cheerleader.

That's great that your son is going with you.

Everyone gets to the starting line wishing they had trained a little more. I'll bet before the start at Kona Chrissie Wellington is thinking that if she had done some more long rides she could pull a few more watts. Meanwhile, it looks like she's riding a motorcycle compared to the other pros. You are going to do better than you think.

I do have a couple more tips. Hope you get these before your race, and I hope you don't mind.

1. You're probably most concerned about the run. Just remember the first half mile is the hardest. You will be running faster than you think when you get off the bike so just take it easy so you can sort of ease into it. Try to focus on NOT overstriding.  Last mile or half mile or so you probably will be able to hammer. For a sprint, if you've paced it right, you should be feeling almost ready to puke at the end
  2. Pre race music. Very important. I like Beethoven, AC/DC, Twisted Sister, and Deep Purple.
  3. Pictures. Make sure you smile when you see a photographer. When you finish, make sure you are well past the finish line before you hit stop on your watch. You don't want your first finisher's photo to be of you looking down at your wrist pushing a button
  4. Most of all, kick butt, and HAVE FUN!!!
Anthony
2010-05-01 8:54 AM
in reply to: #2829656

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2010-04-30 9:39 PM Hey everyone!
    I am a little late coming to the party but Anthony invited me to join as I was in his group last year.  I am a runner by nature but started my "tri life" last year.  I did 4 sprints before becoming pregnant and not training very much at all.  Erica Jane is now 3 months old and I am slowly getting back in the grove of training again.  I have only been on the bike once, run a bit and havent seen the water since last may.  I have a 5k on May 15th for my comeback race.  I am very slow these days, will be quite a diffrence from my time last year but there have been a lot of changes since then!  This weekend is the anniversary of my first open water swim tri- wish I could do it this year but oh well, maybe next time.
  I am also a physical therapist so If you have any questions about injuries I will try to help best I can.
Thanks for letting me join!
Hope all is well
Paula

It is great to have you Paula!

Everyone: Paula left one little thing out of her intro. She is a really good athlete. If you get a chance, check out her RR's from last year. Also, now Priscilla isn't the only woman, so hopefully she will feel less lonely

Anthony
2010-05-01 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2830001

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-05-01 8:34 AM
Jaybird333 - 2010-05-01 5:14 AM I've got a question for you guys. How many calories/carbs/fats should I be eating daily. I have researched the snot out of it and I can't seem to find a consistent answer. I'm presently 258lbs and exercise routinely. I take in between 2000-3000 calories a day. Any thoughts from the team? 

Jay, I could go on for hours and hours on this topic.  It's my real passion.  I actually would like to make nutrition a second career if I can figure out how to manage it and keep the house.  I advise some athletes on nutrition, though they tend to be in more "explosive" sports than ours - either football, hockey, or body building.  I'm still learning about nutrition specifically for endurance athletes.  Mostly the differences I'm seeing are not major overhaul of concepts, but realigning some specific balances of carbs/protein/fat.

I don't have a ton of time today, but at some point I can share as much as you want on the topic, maybe offline because it can get lengthy and specific for you.

The short answer is that specific diet details depend on exactly what you want to do (fat loss, performance peaking, muscle gain, etc) and it's also dependent on your own body and physiology.  I know that's not really an answer, but it's the truth.

The core elements of any good diet are pretty basic though not always easy to follow: eat as many foods without an ingredient list as possible, eat everything as close to the source as possible (unprocessed and local is almost always better), any grains you eat should be whole grains, fats are not your enemy, don't starve yourself, cheat every once in a while.

First of all Jay, what are you doing up in the middle of the night Your question is both simple and very complicated at the same time. I was thinking about it a lot on my long ride this morning. I am at work now, so I will share more of my thoughts when I have a little more time.

I bolded Warren's last paragraph because that is some good stuff right there, and I agree with him quite a bit.

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-05-01 9:02 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24