BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-04-29 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2824355

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
shake-n-bake - 2010-04-28 9:16 PM Colin
Welcome back hope all is well... I'm signing up this week for my first Oly. tri on 6/13/2010..Training is going well, still struggling with the run due to knee rehab.. Do you have any weight loss tips I've been stuck for 3 months now.. Also is there a description of the catch up drill somewhere? Thanks

FYI: To all new swimmers... I'm 38 just started swimming in Jan. with no prior experience and had trouble doing 25 yards at a time without having to stop and hold the wall.. Know I can go 1750-2000 yards at a time... Just work on your breathing and slow your strokes down to where it feels like you are gliding through the water... I breath every third to fifth stroke... also I found that side drills with fins helped me to learn hip rotation in the beginning ( uhh you have to roate your hips in swimmiing I had no idea of this when I started LOL) Also I hardly kick at all and I usually finish ahead of other people I swim with and they kick the entire time, I'm far from a perfect stroke but maybe some of this tips and knowing that struggling in the beginning will get better with time... I usually do one short and one long swim per week...

Tim 1

Congrats on signing up for the June Oly Tim!  That should work out well for you and if you stick to you're training, you're going to do great!

That is some excellent advice and encouragement to our new swimmers.  It does take some longer than others to find that comfort zone in the water, but that is some great advice so thanks for sharing.

I do recommend and my swimmers use training tools in the water.  We use pull buoys, fins, and hand paddles.  However, the only concern I have with training tools is not allowing people to become dependent on them.  As long as you use them for certain sets and then incorporate that into your stroke, great. 

2010-04-29 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2824580

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-04-28 11:27 PM Tim,

That's great; it's goof to hear there's hope for the rest of us swimming newbies.  I'm out in Denver for a week of meetings (loads of fun) and was really looking forward to focusing on getting some good swimming in.  However, the pool is closed for renovations, so I'm back to a stationary bike and treadmill.

Digging for info on learning swimming I came upon the Total Immersion stuff.  There's some debate on the forums about if it's good or bad (too much roll, etc), but I figured not knowing anything it was better than just trying to figure it out on my own.  I tried that and almost drowned myself (not really, but it was bad).  The book breaks down the freestyle stroke into small drills and as I've worked through them, I've found that I'm more relaxed in the water and the few laps I've done were comfortable.  However, I certainly need to continue working on it.  Here's a link to a TI video on YouTube; it looks kind of slow to me, but it also looks relaxed and that appeals to me.  Thoughts?

Take Care,
Mark

Hey Mark,

Please try to contain all your excitement at your meetings.  That sounds like a little too much fun for me to handle Smile

I am somewhat familiar with Total Immersion and have heard a lot of good things about their style.  I actually almost took one of their classes at the end of last year because I was interested in seeing what it was all about, but it didn't work out.  From what I heard and seen online, their style is super efficient and as the video you linked to displays, very effortless.  However, I can see how you could damn near drowned trying to learn it.  I agree that it appears to be very slow form of swimmers.  Nonetheless, it is very efficient and I bet you do not use much energy.  If you continue with this style, please keep us posted on your findings.

I love the effort Mark, great job!
2010-04-29 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2824355

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Do you have any weight loss tips I've been stuck for 3 months now.. Also is there a description of the catch up drill somewhere? Thanks

Tim 1

Hey Tim,

Sorry, I just realized I didn't answer these questions.  I'll start with the easy one about the catch up drill.  I did post of video about it on hear a few days ago, here it is again.

As for the weight loss, I will admit this is not one of my specialties.  For almost everyone I have worked with so far, just getting all the exercise that tri training requires usually forces the loss of weight even typically with not many adjustments to his/her eating habits.  However, your logs clearly show that you're putting the time in.  The bottom line is in order to lose weight, you will need to burn more calories than you are taking in.  I know you said you have been logging your nutrition as well.  Have you contacted a nutritionist about this?  It appears that you have a slow metabolism.  I'd be more than happy to take a look at your nutrition logs, but I'm not sure how much incite I will be able to give you.
2010-04-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hey Mark,

I'm not sure if you have seen this thread or not, but there's a thread on the Triathlon Talk section of BT talking about Total Immersion.  You and anyone else interested in their style should read this.
2010-04-29 11:57 AM
in reply to: #2825034

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-04-29 9:34 AM
Do you have any weight loss tips I've been stuck for 3 months now.. Also is there a description of the catch up drill somewhere? Thanks

Tim 1

Hey Tim,

Sorry, I just realized I didn't answer these questions.  I'll start with the easy one about the catch up drill.  I did post of video about it on hear a few days ago, here it is again.

As for the weight loss, I will admit this is not one of my specialties.  For almost everyone I have worked with so far, just getting all the exercise that tri training requires usually forces the loss of weight even typically with not many adjustments to his/her eating habits.  However, your logs clearly show that you're putting the time in.  The bottom line is in order to lose weight, you will need to burn more calories than you are taking in.  I know you said you have been logging your nutrition as well.  Have you contacted a nutritionist about this?  It appears that you have a slow metabolism.  I'd be more than happy to take a look at your nutrition logs, but I'm not sure how much incite I will be able to give you.

What is current diet like?  Generally speaking, you want to try to eat small meals throughout the day, (rather than eating say three big meals or so) as this will keep your metabolism going.  For example, a mid-sized breakfast, lunch, dinner, and then a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.  Make sure you're staying hydrated throughout the day too.  Being dehydrated can also slow down the metabolism.  Keeping a water bottle at your side makes it easier to periodically take sips since it's just there.  It's good that you're strength training on a regular basis, as this also helps your metabolism going throughout the day.  Anyway, I think it would help if you posted what a sample day is like for you in terms of food intake, and maybe we can make some suggestions from there.
2010-04-29 1:19 PM
in reply to: #2825734

User image

Veteran
Georgia
michgirlsk - 2010-04-29 12:57 PM
hockeyhands - 2010-04-29 9:34 AM

Tim 1

Hey Tim,

What is current diet like?  Generally speaking, you want to try to eat small meals throughout the day, (rather than eating say three big meals or so) as this will keep your metabolism going.  For example, a mid-sized breakfast, lunch, dinner, and then a mid-morning and mid-afternoon snack.  Make sure you're staying hydrated throughout the day too.  Being dehydrated can also slow down the metabolism.  Keeping a water bottle at your side makes it easier to periodically take sips since it's just there.  It's good that you're strength training on a regular basis, as this also helps your metabolism going throughout the day.  Anyway, I think it would help if you posted what a sample day is like for you in terms of food intake, and maybe we can make some suggestions from there.[/QUOTE

Here is a copy of yesterday's food intake

Eggland's Best Large Egg3.0021012g525mg210mg0g1g0g19g
Quaker Oatmeal1.001503g0mg0mg27g1g4g5g
Publix Fat Free Milk1.00900g0mg130mg13g12g0g9g
Yoplait Greek Yogurt Strawberry1.001300g10mg95mg19g18g0g12g
Jason's Deli Spinach Vegi Wrap1.0035917g30mg896mg40g3g6g16g
Jif Peanut Butter Natural Creamy0.50958g0mg38mg4g2g1g4g
GNC Pro Performance Amplified Whey Protein1.002604g110mg410mg16g3g5g40g
Jason's Deli Fruit Cup With No Dip1.00890g0mg2mg23g18g3g1g
Yoplait Greek Yogurt Strawberry1.001300g10mg95mg19g18g0g12g
Life Extension Life Extension Mix Tabs0.3300g0mg0mg0g0g0g0g
Ezekiel 4:92.001601g0mg0mg30g0g6g8g
Jif Peanut Butter Natural Creamy1.0019016g0mg75mg7g3g2g7g
Vitamin Shoppe L-glutamine Powder1.0000g0mg0mg0g0g0g0g
Smucker's Simply Fruit Red Raspberry1.00400g0mg0mg10g8g0g0g
Sequel Naturals Ltd. Vega Sport1.00701g0mg0mg16g13g0g0g
EAS 100% Whey Protein Powder (chocolate)2.002404g130mg100mg6g2g2g46g

All of my meals are spaced 2.5 to 3 hours apart
Total intake was 2213
Buned 927 swimming 478 lower body workout
net was 808 kcal
Consumed nthing but water 1.5 gallons plus aday

This is pretty much a typical day for me, my diet is cleaner than most as I really watch what goes into my mouth...

Any suggestions I will take..Thanks for the response...Laughing

2010-04-29 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2824580

User image

Veteran
Georgia
mdgould - 2010-04-28 11:27 PM Tim,

That's great; it's goof to hear there's hope for the rest of us swimming newbies.  I'm out in Denver for a week of meetings (loads of fun) and was really looking forward to focusing on getting some good swimming in.  However, the pool is closed for renovations, so I'm back to a stationary bike and treadmill.

Digging for info on learning swimming I came upon the Total Immersion stuff.  There's some debate on the forums about if it's good or bad (too much roll, etc), but I figured not knowing anything it was better than just trying to figure it out on my own.  I tried that and almost drowned myself (not really, but it was bad).  The book breaks down the freestyle stroke into small drills and as I've worked through them, I've found that I'm more relaxed in the water and the few laps I've done were comfortable.  However, I certainly need to continue working on it.  Here's a link to a TI video on YouTube; it looks kind of slow to me, but it also looks relaxed and that appeals to me.  Thoughts?

Take Care,
Mark

Mark

There is a book on Total Immerson Open Water Swim for triathlons... I feel like I'm hardly moving when I'm gliding through the water... I did 500 yards the other day as fast as I could not very controlled and was spent with an avg. 2.07 per 100 then the next 500 yards I took it slow long strokes with hip rotation and my avg was 2.00 per 100 and I was not winded and sill had pleanty of energy...So the effortless movement does work..also if you keep your chin tucked to your chest it will help keep your legs up and not drag when not on a beathing stroke...Good Luck...

Tim 1
2010-04-29 2:43 PM
in reply to: #2826013

User image

Expert
MI

Tim,

Well, first off, it's great that you are eating every couple of hours!  How do you feel throughout the day?  Do you feel satisfied hunger wise?  How about energy level?

Just a couple of things I noticed at quick glance...

It seems like you consume quite a bit of calories in the beverage form.  (with the whey protein.)  Personally, I don't think this is the best way to get your calories because I don't think it's as satisfying which leads you to want to eat more later.  I think even just 1/2 scoop of protein powder would do, and try to get the rest of your protein through foods.  But I have a brother who is all about muscle building, so I understand that you might not be willing to part ways with the whey protein.   Do you eat meat?  I feel you could use some chicken or tuna or some other form of lean protein in your diet.

Overall I also feel like you could use some more whole foods.  It doesn't seem like you're getting a lot of fruits and veggies.  These foods can also help satisfy hunger for not a lot of calories.

The other thing... it could actually be that you're not eating enough... if the calorie count from your exercise is accurate, I feel you should be eating a lot more.  With your data of weight and age (not sure how tall you are so I just plugged in 5'10), an online calculator shows that you burn around 1800 calories just by doing absolutely nothing.  And you say it shows up as roughly 1300+ calories burned from your exercise.  That's a total of 3100+ calories your body supposedly burned, and you only consumed 2200. Now, I don't always think we should be taking these numbers sooo seriously, as we are all different (and quite frankly I just don't always trust these numbers ), but you get the idea.  A major deficiency in calories is another way that will halt metabolism.

So, all this said, what I think what I would try to do is to reduce the number of calories I drink, and include more whole foods, fruits, veggies, and lean protein.

Hope this helps in at least some way.  At the very least, food for thought!

Edited by michgirlsk 2010-04-29 2:46 PM
2010-04-29 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2826420

User image

Veteran
Georgia
michgirlsk - 2010-04-29 3:43 PM

Tim,

Well, first off, it's great that you are eating every couple of hours!  How do you feel throughout the day?  Do you feel satisfied hunger wise?  How about energy level?

Just a couple of things I noticed at quick glance...

It seems like you consume quite a bit of calories in the beverage form.  (with the whey protein.)  Personally, I don't think this is the best way to get your calories because I don't think it's as satisfying which leads you to want to eat more later.  I think even just 1/2 scoop of protein powder would do, and try to get the rest of your protein through foods.  But I have a brother who is all about muscle building, so I understand that you might not be willing to part ways with the whey protein.   Do you eat meat?  I feel you could use some chicken or tuna or some other form of lean protein in your diet.

Overall I also feel like you could use some more whole foods.  It doesn't seem like you're getting a lot of fruits and veggies.  These foods can also help satisfy hunger for not a lot of calories.

The other thing... it could actually be that you're not eating enough... if the calorie count from your exercise is accurate, I feel you should be eating a lot more.  With your data of weight and age (not sure how tall you are so I just plugged in 5'10), an online calculator shows that you burn around 1800 calories just by doing absolutely nothing.  And you say it shows up as roughly 1300+ calories burned from your exercise.  That's a total of 3100+ calories your body supposedly burned, and you only consumed 2200. Now, I don't always think we should be taking these numbers sooo seriously, as we are all different (and quite frankly I just don't always trust these numbers ), but you get the idea.  A major deficiency in calories is another way that will halt metabolism.

So, all this said, what I think what I would try to do is to reduce the number of calories I drink, and include more whole foods, fruits, veggies, and lean protein.

Hope this helps in at least some way.  At the very least, food for thought!

Thanks for the advice I'm 5'8" 183pounds fyi I do eat chicken and salmon, have played around with it several ways that is why it is so frustrating, when I bump my intake up I gain weight I think I will try more fruit just worried about the overall sugar for the day... I've always heard a gram of protein per pound that you want to weigh, so working all day the protein shakes are easy to do without stopping by the fast food joints. I will try cooking chicken and taking it with me and try to cut back on the liquids... Thanks again for the advice

Tim 1
2010-04-29 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2826548

User image

Expert
MI
shake-n-bake - 2010-04-29 4:04 PM
Thanks for the advice I'm 5'8" 183pounds fyi I do eat chicken and salmon, have played around with it several ways that is why it is so frustrating, when I bump my intake up I gain weight I think I will try more fruit just worried about the overall sugar for the day... I've always heard a gram of protein per pound that you want to weigh, so working all day the protein shakes are easy to do without stopping by the fast food joints. I will try cooking chicken and taking it with me and try to cut back on the liquids... Thanks again for the advice

Tim 1

Your goal weight is 170?  So that would mean like 170g of protein?  That seems like an extreme amount.  One of my sports nutrition books I have has a recommendation of 0.55-0.72 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day for people who are endurance training.  So for someone that's 180 pounds, that's roughly 100-130 grams of protein.
2010-04-29 6:24 PM

Sorry, I haven't been posting in a while I was out of town and then work got in the way.  So, no real workouts, except I ran 4 miles with a 9:04 pace which is fast for me and did my first pool swim since training for a Tri.  I did 600m in 1230, not too bad but I felt inefficient in the water.  I could not get  a rhythm at all.  Breathing, I was trying different counts, I am probably going to sign up for private lessons or a master class soon.  I am meeting with a nutritional expert next week so that may be good.

Later

2010-04-29 7:30 PM
in reply to: #2826719

User image

Veteran
Georgia
michgirlsk - 2010-04-29 4:25 PM

Tim 1

Your goal weight is 170?  So that would mean like 170g of protein?  That seems like an extreme amount.  One of my sports nutrition books I have has a recommendation of 0.55-0.72 grams of protein per pound of body weight per day for people who are endurance training.  So for someone that's 180 pounds, that's roughly 100-130 grams of protein.

Thanks I will look at reducing my protein intake...there is a book out called racing weight I thought about getting that to see what it has to say...
2010-04-29 11:02 PM
in reply to: #2825402

User image

Colin,

Yes I'd looked at that thread before, but it's good to re-read.  I fall into the "Beginner trying to learn" category with limited help around; and I see TI as a beginning point.  Will keep you posted on progress...

After one of our 12 hr meeting days this past week, I was talking to one of our folks who recently ran the Boston marathon and she offered the name and number of the swim coach who helped her when she was doing triathlon (she's into ultra-marathons now).  So, I'll get that info next week when we're back in DC.

If there's one thing I've learned in my years of competitive shooting is that no one person has all the answers.  I try to get info from everywhere and then pull the pieces together that work for me.  It certainly involves some trial and error, but it's worked for me so far; however, I did notice that I dropped off the national ranking (after my haitus to Iraq).  We'll see about fixing that in a few weeks. 

I'm open to checking out multiple techniques; especially as a beginner.  From the shooting world: The current world record holder's photo is in a lot of shooting books and it's often pointed out that there are several things about his technique and positions that are "wrong".  However, he's held the world record for several years.  Something to be said for that....

Time for a run...

Take Care,
Mark

Edited by mdgould 2010-04-29 11:08 PM
2010-04-30 7:41 AM
in reply to: #2827221

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-04-29 7:24 PM Sorry, I haven't been posting in a while I was out of town and then work got in the way.  So, no real workouts, except I ran 4 miles with a 9:04 pace which is fast for me and did my first pool swim since training for a Tri.  I did 600m in 1230, not too bad but I felt inefficient in the water.  I could not get  a rhythm at all.  Breathing, I was trying different counts, I am probably going to sign up for private lessons or a master class soon.  I am meeting with a nutritional expert next week so that may be good.

Later

Thanks for checking in Chris and no problem about posting.  Nice work on that run!  And don't worry about feeling inefficient.  Its strange, but sometimes even after only like 2 days from my last swim, I feel a little strange/out of rhythm in the water.  I'm glad you were doing it, but I'm sure playing around with different counts didn't help with getting in a rhythm.

That's a great idea about the private lessons or master's swim class.  Either option or both should be very beneficial to you.

I hope your meeting with the nutritional expert next week goes well.  Enjoy your weekend and hopefully you can get some training in.
2010-04-30 8:22 AM
in reply to: #2827291

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
shake-n-bake - 2010-04-29 8:30 PM
michgirlsk - 2010-04-29 4:25 PM

Tim 1

Thanks I will look at reducing my protein intake...there is a book out called racing weight I thought about getting that to see what it has to say...

Tim and Samantha,

I agree with Samantha and think it may be a good idea to try reducing your protein intake.  I also like your idea of checking out that book you referenced, Racing Weight.  I haven't read it yet, but they publisher has made some great tri books.
2010-04-30 8:34 AM
in reply to: #2827563

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-04-30 12:02 AM Colin,

Yes I'd looked at that thread before, but it's good to re-read.  I fall into the "Beginner trying to learn" category with limited help around; and I see TI as a beginning point.  Will keep you posted on progress...

After one of our 12 hr meeting days this past week, I was talking to one of our folks who recently ran the Boston marathon and she offered the name and number of the swim coach who helped her when she was doing triathlon (she's into ultra-marathons now).  So, I'll get that info next week when we're back in DC.

If there's one thing I've learned in my years of competitive shooting is that no one person has all the answers.  I try to get info from everywhere and then pull the pieces together that work for me.  It certainly involves some trial and error, but it's worked for me so far; however, I did notice that I dropped off the national ranking (after my haitus to Iraq).  We'll see about fixing that in a few weeks. 

I'm open to checking out multiple techniques; especially as a beginner.  From the shooting world: The current world record holder's photo is in a lot of shooting books and it's often pointed out that there are several things about his technique and positions that are "wrong".  However, he's held the world record for several years.  Something to be said for that....

Time for a run...

Take Care,
Mark

Hey Mark,

Those are all excellent points.  The bottom line is everyone is different.  What works for one person, may not work for another.  All we can do is educate our themselves the best we can, try the different options we have found, and then see what ends up working on the best of us. 

Sorry to hear you've fallen off the national rankings.  I'm sure you'll be back on there in no time.  Also, that's great about finding a swim coach.  I hope that works out for you.

2010-04-30 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2827563

mdgould - 2010-04-29 11:02 PM Colin,

Time for a run...

Take Care,
Mark

When I was a marksmanship instructor in the Marine Corps, I had to realize that people are different and that everyone cannot do it the way the book says.  Shooting came easy to me but it made me a better shooter, therefore a better instructor by figuring out how to let other people shoot. 

Paula Radcliffe the world recorder holder for women's marathon, running style looks painful and inefficient however, it works for her.
2010-04-30 1:02 PM
in reply to: #2828330

User image

Expert
MI
Well I just rode around the house (as in on the grass) wearing my cycling shoes for like 10 minutes.  I think I'll have to do this a few more times before I feel comfortable enough to graduate to riding on the road.  (I'm very afraid of falling!)  Any tips on how to clip in and out easily?
2010-04-30 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2828858

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-04-30 2:02 PM Well I just rode around the house (as in on the grass) wearing my cycling shoes for like 10 minutes.  I think I'll have to do this a few more times before I feel comfortable enough to graduate to riding on the road.  (I'm very afraid of falling!)  Any tips on how to clip in and out easily?

Well that's a start anyway Smile.  Honestly, I don't think there are really too many tricks to it, its just a matter of practicing.  I have a feeling you'll be surprised how quickly you'll get relatively comfortable with it after a little practicing.  I'd recommend doing a few more sessions in the yard and see if that helps.  The only real recommendation I have is to be confident.  Just remember that you're always just a twist of the ankle away from freedom.
2010-04-30 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2829202

User image

Regular
Franklin, VA
hockeyhands - 2010-04-30 4:12 PM
michgirlsk - 2010-04-30 2:02 PM Well I just rode around the house (as in on the grass) wearing my cycling shoes for like 10 minutes.  I think I'll have to do this a few more times before I feel comfortable enough to graduate to riding on the road.  (I'm very afraid of falling!)  Any tips on how to clip in and out easily?

Well that's a start anyway Smile.  Honestly, I don't think there are really too many tricks to it, its just a matter of practicing.  I have a feeling you'll be surprised how quickly you'll get relatively comfortable with it after a little practicing.  I'd recommend doing a few more sessions in the yard and see if that helps.  The only real recommendation I have is to be confident.  Just remember that you're always just a twist of the ankle away from freedom.

I disagree with Colin.  There is one quick trick and that is to go ahead and fall over once and get it out of your system.  Kidding!  Well, sort of.  In mountain biking that is the sure fire trick, but you don't have to deal with pavement there.  In fact, that's how I got it out of my system--fall over in front of girls!  I haven't fallen over (because of my pedals) since.
Anywho, just joking around a little.  You'll feel fine with them in no time.  In fact, once you're used to them you'll wonder how you ever rode without them.  Just kick that heal out.  That's all there is to it.  Good luck and happy riding!
Skip...
2010-04-30 10:09 PM
in reply to: #2829534

User image

No worries on the National Ranking.  It's just because I was deployed and couldn't compete.  I"ll get back in there in a few weeks when we have tryouts for the World Championships team.

Best advice I have for clipless pedals is to make sure you kick that ankle out while you're still rolling.  You'll only forget once; then there's the panic while you try to get unhooked before going over.  I almost did it a few weeks ago when I got a new pair of cycling shoes.  They felt great and I was so excited about my new shoes that I forgot to unhook, until I was stopped and the bike started to go.  Fortunately, I was able to get out and didn't fall over.

On an up note, hit the pool again today (after flying back from Denver) and worked on some drills and managed to put some somewhat successful freestyle together.  Still need to work on breathing less water though.

Take Care,
Mark

2010-05-02 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hello Everyone

Hope your weekend is going well for you... Man I rode in a wheels to heal event today, I did 62 miles with an 18 mph average... The head wind was awful with gust up to 25 mph, it was like that the whole time so not only were the hills tough to climb but made you feel like you were pedal uphill the whole time...But I finished...
Have a good week!!
2010-05-02 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2824528

Orlando, FL
michgirlsk - 2010-04-28 10:53 PM  
lol results are up- I ran a 22 FLAT!  sooooo close to my goal, yet sooo far! Laughing

Congrats!! and about the clipless pedals, like others have said, it'll become second nature in no time. And realize we all have fallen. I once unclipped my left and leaned right, at a stoplight with TONS of cars around, so don't sweat it. 
2010-05-02 7:05 PM

I am pretty confident with cleats and clips now however, I almost busted my butt this weekend.  I always unclip my left foot however I started to go to the right.  I caught myself but it was not without realizing it would have hurt. 

I went on my longest ride to date, around 29 miles around 16mph.  Slow, but traffic and lights really slow you down.  I felt I could have gone more but, did not want to push it. 

Ran about 5.5 miles today

Will be swimming tomorrow.

Thanks
2010-05-02 7:55 PM
in reply to: #2831884

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-05-02 8:05 PM I am pretty confident with cleats and clips now however, I almost busted my butt this weekend.  I always unclip my left foot however I started to go to the right.  I caught myself but it was not without realizing it would have hurt. 

I went on my longest ride to date, around 29 miles around 16mph.  Slow, but traffic and lights really slow you down.  I felt I could have gone more but, did not want to push it. 

Ran about 5.5 miles today

Will be swimming tomorrow.

Thanks

Hey Chris,

Great work this weekend!  I really like the effort.  I'm actually glad to hear you felt like you could have went a little bit harder on your bike ride.  Its important to not push too hard, especially when you're going further than you've gone before. 

What did everyone else do this weekend?  Anybody have any other questions?
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24