Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2010-05-04 4:26 PM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!
I do interval training a LOT during the winter on my rollers in the basement, otherwise I would get bored to death.  I also do intervals while running on treadmills in the winter.  Usually one minute to two minutes of hard biking or running to get my heart rate really high and then double whatever amount it was for recovery.  15 minute warm up for bike and then 30 minutes of intervals and then15 minutes of cool down riding.  But that all depends upon my day and the time I have available.

2010-05-04 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2836843

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
flip18436572 - 2010-05-04 4:26 PM I do interval training a LOT during the winter on my rollers in the basement, otherwise I would get bored to death.  I also do intervals while running on treadmills in the winter.  Usually one minute to two minutes of hard biking or running to get my heart rate really high and then double whatever amount it was for recovery.  15 minute warm up for bike and then 30 minutes of intervals and then15 minutes of cool down riding.  But that all depends upon my day and the time I have available.[/QUOT

Same here 
2010-05-05 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
So... I rode with my tri club yesterday and one of the better bikers, mention to me that I should spin (higher cadence) more instead of muscling up a hill.  Which lead to the question.  How should I ride a bike.  He said, you want to keep your speed up & your energy output as low as possible.   But when I'm spinning I feel like i'm not moving and working twice as hard.  Would have a cadence monitor unit be helpful?.  Do you guys have one?  Recurrently I use my garmin 305 forerunner on my bike. 
2010-05-05 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2838674

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

utahrunner - 2010-05-05 9:44 AM So... I rode with my tri club yesterday and one of the better bikers, mention to me that I should spin (higher cadence) more instead of muscling up a hill.  Which lead to the question.  How should I ride a bike.  He said, you want to keep your speed up & your energy output as low as possible.   But when I'm spinning I feel like i'm not moving and working twice as hard.  Would have a cadence monitor unit be helpful?.  Do you guys have one?  Recurrently I use my garmin 305 forerunner on my bike. 

A cadence meter is helpful, especially if you plan to do any indoor trainer sessions with structured workouts.  I do a lot of these workouts, and feel that they are helpful because they force me to vary my cadence and feel more comfortable at both high and low cadences. 

However, I don't necessarily agree that you 'need' to spin at a higher cadence to be better off.  He is right in that you will tax your legs less by using a smaller gear and spinning faster.  The down side to that is that you tax your aerobic system more and may go slower overall.  I believe that as you ride more, you find a cadence that is natural and comfortable for you and that is the ideal.  I don't think there is a 'magic number' that fits everyone.  I probably spin a little faster than I did a couple of years back, but that is a result of experience and increased aerobic capacity.  I keep adapting.  That said, my natural, comfortable cadence is in the low 80s, rather than 100+, which some people recommend.   Experiment a little as you build into cycling and find what works best for you.  Vary your cadence on your rides.  It is likely that due to different terrain, you'll find yourself in situations where spinning fast and light is best and where power is best.       

2010-05-05 12:31 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I have a cadence sensor on all of my bikes that i use with my 305. On try really hard to keep my cadence at 85, this allows me to keep up my speed, control my HR, and not put so much pressure on my knees, legs to muscle the bike and me up hills etc. It can feel as if you are putting a lot of effort forth without a lot of reward, for the past couple years i have hovered around the 72 mark, but worked hard at increasing that over the winter to the mid 80's. I have noticed a marked difference in my perceived effort, as well as my fitness level by increasing my cadence. 
2010-05-05 4:39 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
I have the Forerunner 305 also.  I have the cadence sensor and I also bought a foot pod this winter for running on a treadmill, because the treadmill numbers are way off normally.  I try to keep my cadence above 80 all the time and 90% of the time it is around 90.  It really helped me in going longer faster and having energy left.  That and since I am now 46, it is much easier on the knees.

2010-05-07 10:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Well I finally I feel like a tri-athlete again well at least a tri-athlete in training I started my open water swims today.

55 degree water full 3mil wetsuit, hood, gloves & boots I’d like to know who came up with the saying HTFU Laughing

Really it was very doable and not that bad.

Edited by acv 2010-05-07 10:42 AM
2010-05-07 11:27 AM
in reply to: #2843769

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-07 8:37 AM

Well I finally I feel like a tri-athlete again well at least a tri-athlete in training I started my open water swims today.

55 degree water full 3mil wetsuit, hood, gloves & boots I’d like to know who came up with the saying HTFU Laughing

Congratulations, Adam!  The first open water swim is a HUGE step - and in 55 degree water, you certainly earned your HTFU for the day!!

2010-05-07 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2843893

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
BHannahs - 2010-05-07 11:27 AM

Congratulations, Adam!  The first open water swim is a HUGE step - and in 55 degree water, you certainly earned your HTFU for the day!!

Very nice and awesome job, man 55 degrees is cold, guess i have to stop complaining about the pool here! I am going next weekend to do some OWS at my buddies lake property, I will hope the water is not 55 degrees. 
2010-05-07 12:37 PM
in reply to: #2843926

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-07 12:42 PM
BHannahs - 2010-05-07 11:27 AM

Very nice and awesome job, man 55 degrees is cold, guess i have to stop complaining about the pool here! I am going next weekend to do some OWS at my buddies lake property, I will hope the water is not 55 degrees. 

I have to play catch up only 2 months to my first planned tri.

2010-05-07 12:50 PM
in reply to: #2835590

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Crazy race routes:

I was thinking about doing a race in June. I'm not committed to doing it yet, but I might be ready for it. The swim is the typical out and back, the run is an out and back but the bike leg is confusing as hell. You go down the road hang a right, make a few more rights, loop around a residential subdivision, back track a while, hang right for and loop around another subdivision then back track the rest of the way.

I realize the course is marked and they should have people at the turns directing us but it’s a little confusing. Anyone ever get lost on a tri?

PS We hit 9 pages on this thread!

Edited by acv 2010-05-07 12:51 PM

2010-05-07 1:01 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
WOW, that is worse than most charity rides Laughing, and assume the volunteering is probably like the charity rides, as in the later it gets, the less attention the volunteers are paying. 

My upcoming tri has a rather interesting route, cuts through a college campus, into a sub division, etc. so i feel your pain. Hope it all goes well, and probably a good candidate for some pre race riding or scouting. 

http://www.kansascitytriathlon.com/course_maps_new.pdf

2010-05-07 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2844086

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-07 10:50 AM Crazy race routes:

I was thinking about doing a race in June. I'm not committed to doing it yet, but I might be ready for it. The swim is the typical out and back, the run is an out and back but the bike leg is confusing as hell. You go down the road hang a right, make a few more rights, loop around a residential subdivision, back track a while, hang right for and loop around another subdivision then back track the rest of the way.

I realize the course is marked and they should have people at the turns directing us but it’s a little confusing. Anyone ever get lost on a tri?

PS We hit 9 pages on this thread!

I almost got misdirected on a couple of occasions, but never completely.  Most events will have plenty of volunteers directing and you'll likely have plenty of people to follow (at least I do - that's one advantage to being in the middle to back of the pack    ).  That said, it is the athlete's responsibility to 'know the course'.  I know when looking at a route map online or reading the directions, it can be confusing, and it is always helpful to preview the course if you can or drive it sometime beforehand to remove any doubt.  You'll likely have the safety nets of other racers and volunteers on race day, but if you can have some mental notes beforehand from previewing or driving, you'll not only have seen the course, but you'll also know where there are hills, sharp turns, rough roads, etc.  I haven't always been able to see the course beforehand, but if I do, that is one less thing to worry about on race day...

2010-05-07 1:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

No doubt I would be following a few racers...LOL My July race is right in my backyard and I know the course blind folded. But I was a little taken back by the route of this race. Thers a lot going on and it would be easy to miss a turn.

2010-05-07 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2844110

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-07 2:01 PM WOW, that is worse than most charity rides Laughing, and assume the volunteering is probably like the charity rides, as in the later it gets, the less attention the volunteers are paying. 

My upcoming tri has a rather interesting route, cuts through a college campus, into a sub division, etc. so i feel your pain. Hope it all goes well, and probably a good candidate for some pre race riding or scouting. 

http://www.kansascitytriathlon.com/course_maps_new.pdf

Yeah that looks interesting also.
2010-05-08 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Some people saw my training and asked where I lived because of the high winds.  I live in southwest Iowa and the winds were gusting to 40mph while I was out riding a few days ago.  What a pain in the butt.  But, the only way to get better with the wind and the hills is to ride against the wind and ride up the hills.

2010-05-08 5:55 PM

User image

Regular
Ok, question for all you experienced cyclists....

Clipless pedals....SPD or SPD SL?  If I go with SPD, I can use my tri shoes in Spin to get used to them too, otherwise, I'll only be able to use them on my bike.    The two pedals i'm looking at are around the same price so cost isn't a factor this time.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Carly
2010-05-08 10:20 PM
in reply to: #2846198

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

flip18436572 - 2010-05-08 3:24 PM Some people saw my training and asked where I lived because of the high winds.  I live in southwest Iowa and the winds were gusting to 40mph while I was out riding a few days ago.  What a pain in the butt.  But, the only way to get better with the wind and the hills is to ride against the wind and ride up the hills.

You've got that right!  As much as I dislike wind and hills (I am a heavier rider, which eats me up on the hills, and I am wide, so I am a really good sail in the wind), I know they will make me much faster in calm conditions and flats.  Those 40 mph gusts must have been brutal.  They all make you stronger in the end, though! 

2010-05-08 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2846234

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

DaisyzMom - 2010-05-08 3:55 PM Ok, question for all you experienced cyclists....

Clipless pedals....SPD or SPD SL?  If I go with SPD, I can use my tri shoes in Spin to get used to them too, otherwise, I'll only be able to use them on my bike.    The two pedals i'm looking at are around the same price so cost isn't a factor this time.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Carly

All things being equal, I like the SPD-SL pedals better, and they are what I am using now.  I prefer the wider cleat and feel like I am spreading the pressure of my shoe/foot to the pedal out a little more, whereas SPDs put more pressure in a  smaller area.

However, the versatility of the SPDs is a big plus.  Since you can use them in spin class as well as riding, you would be able to use one shoe/cleat combination  for both (honestly, I still have my old shoes with the SPD cleats 'just in case' I need them for a loaner bike or if I take a spin class at some point    ).  So the versatility is a factor to consider.

Any chance you could put the SPD-SLs on your bike and shoes, and find some cheap or used shoes to have with SPD cleats for spin class?  Just a thought...best of both worlds scenario.  And isn't it just like a triathlete to think you can never have too much gear? 

Edited by BHannahs 2010-05-08 10:29 PM
2010-05-08 10:32 PM
in reply to: #2846234

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
[QUOTE]DaisyzMom - 2010-05-08 5:55 PM Ok, question for all you experienced cyclists....

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Carly

I have SPD SL for my road bike and SPD for my mountain bike.  I prefer the SPD SL, but not something you can run in at all.  Thinking about egg beaters, so if I am not doing a TRI, I can actually walk around in my shoes comfortably.
2010-05-09 7:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's!

2010-05-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #2846706

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Happy Mother's Day!!!!
2010-05-09 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
The SPD pedals are predominately used in the mountain bike arena, they are heavier (pedals) but do allow you to clip on either side of the pedal. The SPD SL pedals are more road specific, have a wider pedal and cleat but only allow you to clip on one side of the pedal. I use Look Keo pedals on my road and tri bike, this allows me to use any of  my tri or road shoes, but use the spd pedals on by cross, touring and mountain bikes.

One thing to understand about the type of pedals is the amount of "float" you will get with them. What i mean by this is a "keo" or "spd sl" style usually only gives up to 6 degrees of float, not allowing your foot to move on the pedal. By contrast, a spd or a "speedplay" brand pedal will allow for a significant amount of float (up to 15 degrees). This allows people with knee or hip problems more flexibility with their fitting. I personally do not like the feeling of my feet moving on the pedals. 

All of these pedals will come in a variety of construction's and weights. All will have levels that have a chormoloy (steel) stem, some will have titanium and others will have titanium/carbon pedals. When it comes to shoes, some shoes only work with the "keo" or "spd sl" style cleat, and others will only work with the "spd" style cleats. 

If you are buying clipless for the first time i highly recommend starting out with the spd or speedplay pedals, i say this because of several attributes that I believe will make you happy and make it a better experience.

1. dual sided entry
2. more float for you feet and legs 
3. usually easier to clip in for first time riders

There were a lot of other great points prior to me so hope some of this helps!

Edited by dmwill37 2010-05-09 2:09 PM
2010-05-10 2:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Are you more sore the day after a heavy workout or two days after?

Knowing I was going into a "rest week" (which for me means I'm going to dial back the miles and effort a little) I pushed hard on my work out on Sat. I feel it a little more today than yesterday which sometimes happens to me. I was curious about the rest of you.
2010-05-10 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2849170

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-10 12:44 PM Are you more sore the day after a heavy workout or two days after?

Knowing I was going into a "rest week" (which for me means I'm going to dial back the miles and effort a little) I pushed hard on my work out on Sat. I feel it a little more today than yesterday which sometimes happens to me. I was curious about the rest of you.

Not always, but sometimes, two days after is the worst - you're not alone. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21