Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-10-18 12:05 PM
in reply to: #3156655

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
betyoursilver - 2010-10-17 3:51 PM When learning to swim, has anyone had issues with fatigue?  I am current experiencing round 2 which is forcing me to take 2-3 days off, and to sleep a lot.  As if on a cycle, after about 4 weeks of consistent swimming - in this case, following month 1 of the learn to swim series - I found myself struggling to finish week 3, w/o # 3.  I experienced the fatigue back in Sept too, and I found that 3 solid days off from all training & tons of sleep, followed by cutting back on the # of days in the pool helped a lot.  when I returned to the pool I definitely felt stronger.   However, by Thursday of this week, the feeling of exhaustion hit me again.  Yesterday, I slept 2 hours in the afternoon, and another 9 hours last night.  Right now, I feel like I could hit the sack and sleep until tomorow AM.   Strangely, I can run and bike all day long, but when I add swimming to the picture, I find it's a different situation for me.

That's really interesting. I wonder why the swimming has that affect on you, other than the effort it takes your body to heat itself back up after time spent in chilly water. I am very glad to see you responding appropriately and dialing down the training while getting a lot more sleep.
I wonder if the swimming is just pushing you over a certain number of hours that you aren't used to training. If you biked and ran before you may have never reached the volume you are hitting now by adding swimming.

2010-10-20 11:18 AM
in reply to: #3156655

User image

Northern CA
betyoursilver - 2010-10-17 1:51 PM When learning to swim, has anyone had issues with fatigue?  I am current experiencing round 2 which is forcing me to take 2-3 days off, and to sleep a lot.  As if on a cycle, after about 4 weeks of consistent swimming - in this case, following month 1 of the learn to swim series - I found myself struggling to finish week 3, w/o # 3.  I experienced the fatigue back in Sept too, and I found that 3 solid days off from all training & tons of sleep, followed by cutting back on the # of days in the pool helped a lot.  when I returned to the pool I definitely felt stronger.   However, by Thursday of this week, the feeling of exhaustion hit me again.  Yesterday, I slept 2 hours in the afternoon, and another 9 hours last night.  Right now, I feel like I could hit the sack and sleep until tomorow AM.   Strangely, I can run and bike all day long, but when I add swimming to the picture, I find it's a different situation for me.

I found I was super tired when I first started swimming. I attributed that to going from running three days a week, to now working out 5 or 6 days a week - running, swimming and occasional cycling. However the last week or so I haven't been as tired. Figured my body is getting used to it. I haven't gotten as far in the program as you, so I would expect as the length and intensity increases, I'll be more tired too. Sometimes I find I'm super tired if I have cold coming on too, hope that's not the case for you.

-Kim
2010-10-23 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3162495

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
KimT72 - 2010-10-20 9:18 AM Sometimes I find I'm super tired if I have cold coming on too, hope that's not the case for you.

-Kim

It finally happened.  I seem to have caught a bug.  Whatever it is, it's creeping up on me, which might explain why Thursday's swim was abysmal.   It seems I will be sleeping most of the weekend.
2010-10-24 7:49 PM
in reply to: #3052877

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
This week was not a great training week due to some other conflicts but I got a solid swim in today.  I have been trying to slowly blow out air while my face is under water but I find I still blow out a bit before taking in air when I turn to breathe.  I just cannot seem to breathe in only.  Is this what others do or can you just breathe in as soon as your nose clears the water?
2010-10-25 7:40 PM

Regular
i'm beginning to alternative breathing every third stroke and I find my second time around trying this (I tried this a few months ago) is much better as well as my exhale underwater. 

however, I think I have swimmer's shoulder on my right shoulder so i'm taking a break at least 2 weeks.  I heard this click when I rotate my shoulder.  right now I"m doing some rotator cuff exercise and ice.  any other ideas how to rehab?

also, what's the best way to get experience ocean swimming? anyone in the LA area who can give advise on how to get some experience in OWS.
thanks
Jeff
2010-10-26 7:31 AM
in reply to: #3171680

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kairous1 - 2010-10-25 7:40 PM i'm beginning to alternative breathing every third stroke and I find my second time around trying this (I tried this a few months ago) is much better as well as my exhale underwater. 

however, I think I have swimmer's shoulder on my right shoulder so i'm taking a break at least 2 weeks.  I heard this click when I rotate my shoulder.  right now I"m doing some rotator cuff exercise and ice.  any other ideas how to rehab?

also, what's the best way to get experience ocean swimming? anyone in the LA area who can give advise on how to get some experience in OWS.
thanks
Jeff

Have you visited your state forum yet? I am sure there are a bunch of groups that do OWS that you can join. The California forum is here.

2010-10-26 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3168439

User image

Northern CA
betyoursilver - 2010-10-23 8:41 AM It finally happened.  I seem to have caught a bug.  Whatever it is, it's creeping up on me, which might explain why Thursday's swim was abysmal.   It seems I will be sleeping most of the weekend.

That's too bad. I hope you are starting to feel better and will find you're less tired after you recover.

-Kim

2010-10-27 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3173354

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
KimT72 - 2010-10-26 12:20 PM That's too bad. I hope you are starting to feel better and will find you're less tired after you recover.

-Kim

Whatever is going around is awful.  Started getting sick Friday, got worse Saturday, felt a lot better Sunday & Monday, and by Tuesday & now Wednesday morning I feel a lot worse.   It's killing me to not swim.  I had to reschedule my Saturday swim lesson.  Bleh! :-/
2010-10-27 6:23 PM

User image

West Chester and Lansdale
Hello everyone.  I learned to do cannonballs as a kid and now 40 plus years later I am learning to swim.  I started in a short pool last november.  I'm slow but Im able to consistantly swim 1 mile and when I have time I will add 30 more laps.  I need help with bilateral breathing.  I'm working at it but iy is more than difficult.  Any suggestions?
2010-10-27 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3177092

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
drchris - 2010-10-27 4:23 PM Hello everyone.  I learned to do cannonballs as a kid and now 40 plus years later I am learning to swim.  I started in a short pool last november.  I'm slow but Im able to consistantly swim 1 mile and when I have time I will add 30 more laps.  I need help with bilateral breathing.  I'm working at it but iy is more than difficult.  Any suggestions?

Have you considered lessons ?  My swim exposure is about like yours; cannonballs as a kid sums up my exposure to water.  As an adult, learning to swim distance has been a challenge for me.  However, swim lessons have helped immensely.
2010-10-28 7:17 AM
in reply to: #3175048

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
betyoursilver - 2010-10-27 10:34 AM
KimT72 - 2010-10-26 12:20 PM That's too bad. I hope you are starting to feel better and will find you're less tired after you recover.

-Kim

Whatever is going around is awful.  Started getting sick Friday, got worse Saturday, felt a lot better Sunday & Monday, and by Tuesday & now Wednesday morning I feel a lot worse.   It's killing me to not swim.  I had to reschedule my Saturday swim lesson.  Bleh! :-/

Ugh, sounds terrible! I hate bugs that just won't go away.

2010-10-28 7:21 AM
in reply to: #3177092

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
drchris - 2010-10-27 6:23 PM Hello everyone.  I learned to do cannonballs as a kid and now 40 plus years later I am learning to swim.  I started in a short pool last november.  I'm slow but Im able to consistantly swim 1 mile and when I have time I will add 30 more laps.  I need help with bilateral breathing.  I'm working at it but iy is more than difficult.  Any suggestions?

Welcome to BT!! Here are some threads I found on this topic that might be helpful to you:
Here
Here

They were both in Tri Talk. You miht find some more if you use the serach feature at the top of the page. Just make sure you select the forum "Triathlon Talk" and have a search period of a year instead of week, month, etc.
Hope you find them useful!
2010-10-30 6:17 AM
in reply to: #3177876

Hi Everyone. I'm new!
Was always in great shape...active tennis player, mountain biker, runner and so on. I had a virus that attacked my heart last year.  It's now back to normal with no damage. I’m one of the luck ones. My doc's told me...if I was not so healthy before, this would of not been the same result. I'm a walking success story that exercise and being healthy can be the difference between life and death (as it deals with me).   But the bad news...I'm out of shape and want to train for a triathlon in Pittsburgh. I'm looking for help from this thread for encouragement and training plans on swimming.  I like swimming and did it alot growing up.  I have dowloaded some info fromthis website but seems like a lot.  I loo forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Eric from Pittsburgh, PA.?
2010-10-30 6:46 AM
in reply to: #3186019

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
stridej - 2010-10-30 6:17 AM Hi Everyone. I'm new!
Was always in great shape...active tennis player, mountain biker, runner and so on. I had a virus that attacked my heart last year.  It's now back to normal with no damage. I’m one of the luck ones. My doc's told me...if I was not so healthy before, this would of not been the same result. I'm a walking success story that exercise and being healthy can be the difference between life and death (as it deals with me).   But the bad news...I'm out of shape and want to train for a triathlon in Pittsburgh. I'm looking for help from this thread for encouragement and training plans on swimming.  I like swimming and did it alot growing up.  I have dowloaded some info fromthis website but seems like a lot.  I loo forward to your thoughts and ideas.

Hi Eric. Welcome to BT! I am so glad to hear that you haven't suffered any lasting damage from your health scare! You've gone through a lot - getting back in shape will be easy compared to that!
Let us know how the Learn to Swim program is working for you. If you find it's too easy for you since you have a swimming background, you can try one of the Sprint training plans.
2010-10-30 12:59 PM
in reply to: #3186019

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
stridej - 2010-10-30 7:17 AM Hi Everyone. I'm new!

If you don't mind - what kind of virus?
2010-10-31 3:56 AM

Hi there,
I'm new to the group and triathlons in general. I looking for tips to improve my swimming.

Edited by Teri2010 2010-11-01 10:19 AM

2010-10-31 1:00 PM
in reply to: #3186070

Hi Jessica.  I printed out both the "begining swimming" and the 20 week Sprint (focus on Swimming/running) information.  I'll start witht he begining swimming and use the 20 week for running/biking and use it for swimming if needed.  Just started it today (sunday) and it told me to run for 20 minutes easy.  Was pretty easy today.  Thanks for the nice words.  Talk to you soon.

Eric.
2010-10-31 1:05 PM
in reply to: #3186490

Hey MB550 - My virus was really unknown.  I was on a trip to Brazil and came back very tired.  They are not sure if it was something I caught by food or drink.  They are linking it to virus/unknown, as all my tests are perfect.  At age 42, they said my arteries are wide open with no blockages at all.  My heart function was low which are signs of a virus.  With some meds, my heart rebuit itself.  As I mentioned, I'm very luckly.  They told me we wil never know the actual virus.  In 6 months, they are looking for me to be off the meds (cross your fingers).

Sorry if this does not answer your question.

Eric.
2010-10-31 3:27 PM
in reply to: #3187343

User image

Veteran
Fort Wayne IN
stridej - 2010-10-31 2:05 PM Hey MB550 - My virus was really unknown.  I was on a trip to Brazil and came back very tired.  They are not sure if it was something I caught by food or drink.  They are linking it to virus/unknown, as all my tests are perfect.  At age 42, they said my arteries are wide open with no blockages at all.  My heart function was low which are signs of a virus.  With some meds, my heart rebuit itself.  As I mentioned, I'm very luckly.  They told me we wil never know the actual virus.  In 6 months, they are looking for me to be off the meds (cross your fingers).

Sorry if this does not answer your question.

Eric.

Thanks for your openness - it was just a curiosity i had and glad to hear you are doing better. Good luck with your goals and the training it takes to get there.
Matt
2010-10-31 8:17 PM

Calgary
I decided after years of putting it off that I'd have to join all my triathlon friends.
The reason for putting it off for so long is running and biking don't bother me, but swimming does. I learned breast stroke when younger, and can manage 1000 metres after only 4 wks training. However, my freestyle still leaves me gasping after only a length so I'd appreciate any suggestions. I've found TI and am working through the drills but unsure at what point I should spend more time practising full stroke as after 3 wks of drills I'm feeling fairly comfortable, but then it all goes to pieces when I try to convert what I've learned into a full stroke.
I'm not sure whether I'm up to the learn to swim plan yet, but I'd like to give it a go.
2010-10-31 9:52 PM
in reply to: #3187820

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
bilkovet - 2010-10-31 9:17 PM I decided after years of putting it off that I'd have to join all my triathlon friends.
The reason for putting it off for so long is running and biking don't bother me, but swimming does. I learned breast stroke when younger, and can manage 1000 metres after only 4 wks training. However, my freestyle still leaves me gasping after only a length so I'd appreciate any suggestions. I've found TI and am working through the drills but unsure at what point I should spend more time practising full stroke as after 3 wks of drills I'm feeling fairly comfortable, but then it all goes to pieces when I try to convert what I've learned into a full stroke.
I'm not sure whether I'm up to the learn to swim plan yet, but I'd like to give it a go.

Welcome to BT and triathlons!  Most of us on this forum are working on improving our freestyle endurance.  Start month 1 of the program mentioned on the first page of this thread.  The workouts are short and there are plenty of rest intervals so you can do it.  Try to stay relaxed in the water and go slow.  I find I am much less winded when I go slow and in actuality I am not that much slower (maybe just less thrashing around Tongue out)

2010-11-01 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3187820

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
bilkovet - 2010-10-31 8:17 PM I decided after years of putting it off that I'd have to join all my triathlon friends.

Welcome! Thanks so much for joining us! You are on the right track with the drills. It WILL pay off eventually. Try the first week of this learn to swim program and see if it feels ok to you. Let us know how it works out.
2010-11-05 11:02 AM
in reply to: #3189183

Cinnaminson, NJ
just found something helpful during my training that I thought I would share and hopefully will benefit somebody else too. 

I am/was not a swimmer at all.  Started the BT learn how to swim training program maybe a month ago or so -- but decided to back off of it until I could get better with basic freestyle swimming and was really struggling with the head down in the water and breathing side of things.   Been making alot of progress at my own pace with the help of this forum and the drills from the training group.  I will probably start the Program again in another week or so. 

Anyway -- I found that doing the drills -- such as the 25s where you count your strokes really helped alot with my breathing issues -- when counting and trying to really do 1 less stroke each 25 I would not think at all about breathing.  I even would use it for 50 and now 100s. 

so maybe the idea of mentally focusing on something else during your swim is a good drill in itself as your actual swimming gets relaxed. 
2010-11-05 10:06 PM
in reply to: #3196940

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
pesposit - 2010-11-05 12:02 PM just found something helpful during my training that I thought I would share and hopefully will benefit somebody else too. 

I am/was not a swimmer at all.  Started the BT learn how to swim training program maybe a month ago or so -- but decided to back off of it until I could get better with basic freestyle swimming and was really struggling with the head down in the water and breathing side of things.   Been making alot of progress at my own pace with the help of this forum and the drills from the training group.  I will probably start the Program again in another week or so. 

Anyway -- I found that doing the drills -- such as the 25s where you count your strokes really helped alot with my breathing issues -- when counting and trying to really do 1 less stroke each 25 I would not think at all about breathing.  I even would use it for 50 and now 100s. 

so maybe the idea of mentally focusing on something else during your swim is a good drill in itself as your actual swimming gets relaxed. 
yes, I think that has helped me too.  counting strokes also really forces me to go slower with my arms and having a more relaxed mindset makes that easier.
2010-11-05 10:10 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
So tonight I had my first Tarzan drills.  NOT!  The pool was closing down so I had no time for the 30 sec rest after each 25.  Ended up doing 125 of breast stroke (for sighting practice) with several 10-15 yard intervals of head out of water freestyle.  I have even more respect for ocean life guards and water polo players.  That is HARD!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16