General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 150

2010-09-17 11:23 AM
in reply to: #3104390

Master
Montgomery, Tx
Subject: RE: Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group
TriAya - 2010-09-17 10:51 AM Howdy howdy all, just checking in ... how's everyone doing? Busy training?

I switched from the Beginner 1/2 plan to the Olympic-to-HIM Bridge plan. I'm a little befuddled as to what to do about the Strength minutes/workouts ... since I barely squeeze in biking and running (and almost never swim) what I might do is add some cycling (hills, trails, strength-y-type cycling) for it (not as extensive or long as strength training) ... maybe a walk with my dog on running days.

I deleate them prior to switching the plan to "actual".  My strength training is playing with my 3 year old and 3 week old, pushing my mower, etc.  I do plan on adding some core stuff, but weights can wait.   

2010-09-17 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3052895

User image

Regular
Indianapolis
Recently signed up for next year's Ironman 70.3 Muncie, the old Muncie Endurathon. This will be my first and it's not until July 2011 so I've got a while before even beginning on a training plan.

My background is in swimming as I was a pretty competitive swimmer in high school, my wife is a marathoner who has absolutely no interest in triathlons.

Currently over the off season I'm trying to improve my run (by far my weakest leg, though my bike isn't great) by preparing for the Monumental Half Marathon in Indianapolis in November.

Indiana winters are cold and snowy, any suggestions for off season bike training? I don't mind running in the cold, but biking's a different animal.

Sorry for the rambling post, just thought I'd say everything I was thinking.
2010-09-20 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3104482

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
TriPatrick - 2010-09-17 11:23 AM
TriAya - 2010-09-17 10:51 AM Howdy howdy all, just checking in ... how's everyone doing? Busy training?

I switched from the Beginner 1/2 plan to the Olympic-to-HIM Bridge plan. I'm a little befuddled as to what to do about the Strength minutes/workouts ... since I barely squeeze in biking and running (and almost never swim) what I might do is add some cycling (hills, trails, strength-y-type cycling) for it (not as extensive or long as strength training) ... maybe a walk with my dog on running days.

I deleate them prior to switching the plan to "actual".  My strength training is playing with my 3 year old and 3 week old, pushing my mower, etc.  I do plan on adding some core stuff, but weights can wait.   

Core exercises for a few minutes a day would be my suggestion as well. Or bodyweight exercises that focus on side-to-side, diagonal, and rotational movements (side lunge, russian twist, med. ball wood chopper, etc.).
2010-09-20 7:03 AM
in reply to: #3104691

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
shoverbj - 2010-09-17 12:46 PM Recently signed up for next year's Ironman 70.3 Muncie, the old Muncie Endurathon. This will be my first and it's not until July 2011 so I've got a while before even beginning on a training plan.

My background is in swimming as I was a pretty competitive swimmer in high school, my wife is a marathoner who has absolutely no interest in triathlons.

Currently over the off season I'm trying to improve my run (by far my weakest leg, though my bike isn't great) by preparing for the Monumental Half Marathon in Indianapolis in November.

Indiana winters are cold and snowy, any suggestions for off season bike training? I don't mind running in the cold, but biking's a different animal.

Sorry for the rambling post, just thought I'd say everything I was thinking.

Welcome!! Very happy you have joined us. Do you have a bike trainer? There are videos you can buy for indoor cycling, or you can try spinning classes at your gym. You might also want to ask around to see if there are triathlon clubs in your area. You may be able to find a triathlon-focused indoor cycling class over the winter. We offer one here in Nashville - they are pretty common.
2010-09-20 1:30 PM

Plainview, NY
Week 3 in the books, folks, and this one is starting to get really interesting!  Figured I'd let my Sunday ride take its place here as my plan weeks begin on Mondays in any case. 

Week 3 thoughts:  Neuro speed reminds me much of intervals, but without all of the hurt!  Quick bursts felt natural, and the results were certainly something worth taking a second look at.  Overall, I'm faster- much faster than I trained at for my sprint tri, much faster and for longer distance than I thought I'd be at this point in the program.  The swimming is still probably my weakest point, likely due to the fact that I think I'm trying to be too fast too quickly.  Long days there are fine, the speed days are the problem here.  Still trying to get a week where I catch every session, but my schedule just isn't playing fair as yet.  The Sunday ride was awesome, took in some hills that I'd had trouble on in past training programs with a little more zip and a lot less wheezing. 

Looking to Week 4, I like that there isn't a wholesale shift between the weeks.  A tweak here and there is fine, but changing focus drastically can often turn folks like me off to a plan, so this one is keeping my mind encouraged.  Swimming outdoors is still a possibility, but becoming more difficult with the subtle changes in weather.  However, the pool will work nicely for what I'm trying to accomplish and running/biking are getting to that ideal condition. 

With my first HIM coming in late April, I'm wondering if I should continue this plan as much as possible and reset 20 weeks out from that race or possibly jump into a winter maintenance plan soon?  

Reading many of your comments & reasons inspire me on the tough days, and this week was full of them.  Thanks all for the extra lift, and continued success in your own training work!  Until next week, take care.

mG
2010-09-21 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3108225

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
pitman80 - 2010-09-20 1:30 PM Week 3 in the books, folks, and this one is starting to get really interesting!  Figured I'd let my Sunday ride take its place here as my plan weeks begin on Mondays in any case. 

Week 3 thoughts:  Neuro speed reminds me much of intervals, but without all of the hurt!  Quick bursts felt natural, and the results were certainly something worth taking a second look at.  Overall, I'm faster- much faster than I trained at for my sprint tri, much faster and for longer distance than I thought I'd be at this point in the program.  The swimming is still probably my weakest point, likely due to the fact that I think I'm trying to be too fast too quickly.  Long days there are fine, the speed days are the problem here.  Still trying to get a week where I catch every session, but my schedule just isn't playing fair as yet.  The Sunday ride was awesome, took in some hills that I'd had trouble on in past training programs with a little more zip and a lot less wheezing. 

Looking to Week 4, I like that there isn't a wholesale shift between the weeks.  A tweak here and there is fine, but changing focus drastically can often turn folks like me off to a plan, so this one is keeping my mind encouraged.  Swimming outdoors is still a possibility, but becoming more difficult with the subtle changes in weather.  However, the pool will work nicely for what I'm trying to accomplish and running/biking are getting to that ideal condition. 

With my first HIM coming in late April, I'm wondering if I should continue this plan as much as possible and reset 20 weeks out from that race or possibly jump into a winter maintenance plan soon?  

Reading many of your comments & reasons inspire me on the tough days, and this week was full of them.  Thanks all for the extra lift, and continued success in your own training work!  Until next week, take care.

mG

GREAT feedback. Writing down your thought like this not only helps others, it helps you! Reflecting on what works for you and doesn't work for you will go a long way in helping you reach your potential.
I agree about consistency in training plans. To me the biggest benefit of consistency is being able to get into a weekly routine, so you (and your family) know that on Tuesdays, for example, you have to go to the pool.
As far as how you should prepare for your HIM, it's really up to you and your personality. If you like having structured training and you prefer having a very consistent regimen, then it's ok to use this plan and reset and do it again 20 weeks out.
However, keep in mind that following a training plan for 20 weeks IS very demanding as far as motivation goes. 5 months is about the longest most people can train for something without getting totally burned out. That is why a winter maintenance plan can be useful. It breaks up the monotony a bit and allows you to focus on your limiter a bit more.

2010-09-21 7:42 PM

I am hopefully doing the Half Ironman in Boise in June of next year. I've never competed in a tri before, but have run a ton of marathons. I've also been biking for a few years now...

How nervous should I be?!?!?
2010-09-22 4:09 AM

User image

Master
So far I have completed 5 Sprints (1 of them was a Try a Tri) I would love to do Willimasburg HIM next year. I looked at the Distances for the 20 week HIM plan and at this point it seems over whelming.
Would my best bet be to do one of the 20 week OLY plans first then begin the HIM in 20-25 weeks?
2010-09-22 6:51 AM
in reply to: #3110991

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ansonee - 2010-09-21 7:42 PM I am hopefully doing the Half Ironman in Boise in June of next year. I've never competed in a tri before, but have run a ton of marathons. I've also been biking for a few years now...

How nervous should I be?!?!?

Well, being nervous is a great motivator! As long as you are dedicated over the winter and get some good volume in, you will be fine. What are your plans for the winter?
Oh, and WELCOME to BT!
2010-09-22 6:57 AM
in reply to: #3111277

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
verga - 2010-09-22 4:09 AM So far I have completed 5 Sprints (1 of them was a Try a Tri) I would love to do Willimasburg HIM next year. I looked at the Distances for the 20 week HIM plan and at this point it seems over whelming.
Would my best bet be to do one of the 20 week OLY plans first then begin the HIM in 20-25 weeks?

Williamsburg is a late season race, correct? Obviously, you will start the HIM plan 20 weeks out, but you have a lot of time until then. I would suggest a winter plan that focuses on your weakest leg, and then the Oly plan like you said, leading up to about 20 weeks out from your race.
The more you can break this up into different blocks, the less likely you will get tired of the routine and feel burned out.
2010-09-22 10:11 AM

Greetings and salutations! Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Anthony from the grest state of Minnesota. I hail from Minneapolis...hi there!

I'm here because apparently I have decided to jump literally feet first into the triathlon arena. And I do mean feet first! For my first tri, I have my sights set on the Half Ironman in Boise, Idaho, in June of 2011. I've never run a tri ever, so why a Half Ironman to begin with? Why not!!

I've run six marthons in the last six years, a billion half marathons, tons of smaller distances, and bike a lot. I've done four duathlons in my lifetime. The one caveat is I really haven't done a whole lot of swimming. I've obtained the services of a swim coach, so hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!!

I'm hoping this site will be a fountain of knowledge and inspiration for this latest chapter in my athletic endeavors!

Looking forward to this and getting any and all feedback/hints/tips/tricks from all of you!!

Cheers!!!

Anthony

2010-09-22 10:13 AM

User image

Expert
San Jose
So........just as a recap, this is my first season of tri's. I did 3 sprints and finished with an Oly. It has all been fun and a great experience. The week before my Oly I ran a 1/2 marathon (poor planning but we really liked the venue) and I have 2 more 1/2 marathons before the end of the year.

The week after the Oly, I was tired but I felt the need to keep up my work outs, especially with the running, since I have the other races coming up. This is the 2nd week after the Oly and I'm totally unmotivated to get out there and do my workouts. I've been sleeping in and I know I need the rest but then I feel guilty for skipping stuff. I'm resting anyway and telling myself that next week I'll get back into my routine. I'm planning for my first 1/2 IM in June so backtracking, I'm going to do the 20 week 1/2 IM plan with a winter plan before that that emphasizes running since I'm going to do my first marathon in March. 

I know some of my lack of motivation is just post race stuff. I think I'm mostly just looking for someone to tell me to take it easy this week and get my butt back in gear next week Maybe since I just gave myself permission I'm good to go!
Thanks,
Johanne

2010-09-22 2:24 PM

User image

Melon Presser
Hi Anthony from Minneapolis! Welcome to our happy little crazy half-iron bus

I've known a good handful of people who did a half as their first, and it sounds like you have some good endurance base and race experience under your feet.

What kind of biking have you been doing?
2010-09-22 2:27 PM
in reply to: #3111739

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ansonee - 2010-09-22 10:11 AM Greetings and salutations! Allow me to introduce myself. I'm Anthony from the grest state of Minnesota. I hail from Minneapolis...hi there!

I'm here because apparently I have decided to jump literally feet first into the triathlon arena. And I do mean feet first! For my first tri, I have my sights set on the Half Ironman in Boise, Idaho, in June of 2011. I've never run a tri ever, so why a Half Ironman to begin with? Why not!!

I've run six marthons in the last six years, a billion half marathons, tons of smaller distances, and bike a lot. I've done four duathlons in my lifetime. The one caveat is I really haven't done a whole lot of swimming. I've obtained the services of a swim coach, so hoping I haven't bitten off more than I can chew!!

I'm hoping this site will be a fountain of knowledge and inspiration for this latest chapter in my athletic endeavors!

Looking forward to this and getting any and all feedback/hints/tips/tricks from all of you!!

Cheers!!!

Anthony

Welcome to BT, Anthony! We are happy you have found a triathlon home here. You sound like you are in great shape to do your first triathlon...getting a swim coach is a very smart move!
2010-09-22 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3111746

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
50andgettingfit - 2010-09-22 10:13 AM So........just as a recap, this is my first season of tri's. I did 3 sprints and finished with an Oly. It has all been fun and a great experience. The week before my Oly I ran a 1/2 marathon (poor planning but we really liked the venue) and I have 2 more 1/2 marathons before the end of the year.

The week after the Oly, I was tired but I felt the need to keep up my work outs, especially with the running, since I have the other races coming up. This is the 2nd week after the Oly and I'm totally unmotivated to get out there and do my workouts. I've been sleeping in and I know I need the rest but then I feel guilty for skipping stuff. I'm resting anyway and telling myself that next week I'll get back into my routine. I'm planning for my first 1/2 IM in June so backtracking, I'm going to do the 20 week 1/2 IM plan with a winter plan before that that emphasizes running since I'm going to do my first marathon in March. 

I know some of my lack of motivation is just post race stuff. I think I'm mostly just looking for someone to tell me to take it easy this week and get my butt back in gear next week Maybe since I just gave myself permission I'm good to go!
Thanks,
Johanne

Johanne, you are doing the right thing by taking time to rest. Do not for ONE SECOND feel guilty. If you take the time to rest and mentally recharge NOW, you will not burn out later when it really matters!
2010-09-23 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3112450

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Hi All,

This looks like a good destination for me eventually :-)  I've got my last tri (OLY) of the season in a week and then a 1/2 Mary in November.  At that point I will start the training for a HIM in May that I also did this year, but would like to improve on my performance (it was my first and I learned a bunch).  So I'll get more active here after Thanksgiving.  I will say that having the HIM to aim for over the winter last year really helped motivate me over the winter (when motivation is hard to come by). 

Look forward to catching up with you all in November!  Thanks for starting these threads.

Stu

2010-09-23 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3113979

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
juneapple - 2010-09-23 10:58 AM Hi All,

This looks like a good destination for me eventually :-)  I've got my last tri (OLY) of the season in a week and then a 1/2 Mary in November.  At that point I will start the training for a HIM in May that I also did this year, but would like to improve on my performance (it was my first and I learned a bunch).  So I'll get more active here after Thanksgiving.  I will say that having the HIM to aim for over the winter last year really helped motivate me over the winter (when motivation is hard to come by). 

Look forward to catching up with you all in November!  Thanks for starting these threads.

Stu

Glad to have you here. I hope you find the same motivation this year as you did last year over the winter! Congrats on your first HIM, btw.
2010-09-24 11:00 AM

Hi all,
My name is Kenny and I am just beginning in this whole "Tri world".  I have made the decision that I want to continue my competitive ways by doing Tri's.  I played Division 1 soccer in college and continue to play in a Men's League, but starting tri's is my next challenge to myself.  I have done a Half-marathon (2007, 1:41) and will be doing my first marathon next weekend Oct 3 in Portland, Maine. 

I have goals of doing a Half-Ironman in June 2011 with a few Olympic/Sprints before as warm-ups.  I just purchased my first road bike (which has been a great cross-trainer during my marathon training), so I feel pretty comfortable with the Run and Bike.  The swim is really my biggest worry.  I can swim, however have never swam more than a couple hundred yards at once....nor have I swam with hundreds of people around me, etc.  Help! 

My hope is that some of you will be able to offer me great advice, great training tips/schedules and be my Mentors as I gear up for these tri's.

Thanks so much!

Kenny
Portland, Maine
2010-09-24 10:28 PM

New user

Hoping to do my first HIM in October 2011 -- between now and then, lots of training and several sprint and olys.  Not sure how to get all that in without over training, but also want to be prepared for the HIM.  Thoughts?
2010-09-25 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Harbor City/Torrance/Carson
Great posts here!!!!  I am really loving this thread. 

I have several questions to some of the more "experienced" beginners here.  I mentioned in my previous post that my plans for 2011 are Oly in March, HIM in April, and another HIM in August.  Since the beginner HIM plan runs 5 weeks, I am thinking of starting the 5-month plan in October, after the LA tri.  I have a hurdle though, I will have a couple of teeth pulled out on 10/15 which will probably sideline me for a week.  Now do I just jump back into training based on which week I am currently on?  Also, how should I approach my training between the Oly in March and the HIM in April?  I am doing the Oly to get my feet in the longer distances although I followed a HIM program.  How can I build again in one/two weeks (one week rest after the Oly) and have a one week taper? After my HIM in April, I will do another round of training but on a 12-week schedule.

Thanks!
2010-09-26 7:31 PM

User image

Expert
Huntington Beach
Just finished my 5th tri and will start my HIM training in November.  So nervous and excited!  I will be doing the California 70.3 in April. 

ann-marie

2010-09-27 10:02 AM
in reply to: #3115971

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
khayner15 - 2010-09-24 11:00 AM Hi all,
My name is Kenny and I am just beginning in this whole "Tri world".  I have made the decision that I want to continue my competitive ways by doing Tri's.  I played Division 1 soccer in college and continue to play in a Men's League, but starting tri's is my next challenge to myself.  I have done a Half-marathon (2007, 1:41) and will be doing my first marathon next weekend Oct 3 in Portland, Maine. 

I have goals of doing a Half-Ironman in June 2011 with a few Olympic/Sprints before as warm-ups.  I just purchased my first road bike (which has been a great cross-trainer during my marathon training), so I feel pretty comfortable with the Run and Bike.  The swim is really my biggest worry.  I can swim, however have never swam more than a couple hundred yards at once....nor have I swam with hundreds of people around me, etc.  Help! 

My hope is that some of you will be able to offer me great advice, great training tips/schedules and be my Mentors as I gear up for these tri's.

Thanks so much!

Kenny
Portland, Maine

Hi Kenny, and WELCOME to BT! Very happy to have you participating in the forums! As you have probably noticed, lots of beginner triathletes are very nervous about the swim. It's the sport most of us have the least experience with. If you are starting from scratch, you may want to try the Learn to Swim program. There is a thread for that program here in this forum. Ideally, you could also take a few lessons with a swim coach, and then join a Masters program over the winter.
2010-09-27 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3117044

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
lisadesimone - 2010-09-24 10:28 PM Hoping to do my first HIM in October 2011 -- between now and then, lots of training and several sprint and olys.  Not sure how to get all that in without over training, but also want to be prepared for the HIM.  Thoughts?

Hi there, and welcome to BT!
As far as planning your next season, here is what I would recommend:
Sit down with a calendar and mark down your big race. 20 weeks from that point you will start your HIM plan. You can choose to race a little bit during your training or just train for 20 weeks with no racing with the goal of kicking major butt in your HIM. Once you make that decision, you can choose a sprint and an Oly if you like, before that 20 week block starts. You could do a 16 week sprint plan, race a sprint, then do the 16 week Oly plan to get you to Oly distance, and then after a week or two off, start your 20 week HIM plan.  That's just one way to go about it. It kind of depends on how well you respond to structure. If you are concerend about mental burnout, the you should lean towards less structured training before that 20 week block starts.

2010-09-27 10:25 AM
in reply to: #3117528

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
arkmann - 2010-09-25 3:39 PM Great posts here!!!!  I am really loving this thread. 

I have several questions to some of the more "experienced" beginners here.  I mentioned in my previous post that my plans for 2011 are Oly in March, HIM in April, and another HIM in August.  Since the beginner HIM plan runs 5 weeks, I am thinking of starting the 5-month plan in October, after the LA tri.  I have a hurdle though, I will have a couple of teeth pulled out on 10/15 which will probably sideline me for a week.  Now do I just jump back into training based on which week I am currently on?  Also, how should I approach my training between the Oly in March and the HIM in April?  I am doing the Oly to get my feet in the longer distances although I followed a HIM program.  How can I build again in one/two weeks (one week rest after the Oly) and have a one week taper? After my HIM in April, I will do another round of training but on a 12-week schedule.

Thanks!

Let's see if I can help a little bit.
If your HIM is in April, then your 5 months starts in Nov. some time. Even though you are doing an Oly, your HIM is the more important race and you should base your training schedule on that, not your Oly. You will do your Oly without much of a taper but hopefully at the end of a recovery week. If your Oly race is not at the end of a recovery week already, you may want to adjust the plan a bit by adding or removing a build week. This eliminates the next question, which was how to handle the transition from one race to the next. You may not be able to do all the training called for in the week after your Oly because you will be fatigued, and that is ok. I am not sure how much time you have in between races, but hopefully it's closer to 4 weeks. That will give you time to recover, get back in the swing of things, and also have a decent taper for your "A" race, the HIM.
If you want to train before that 5 months starts, go ahead and do the first month of the plan very loosely, then repeat it. This will give you more freedom to recover from your dental work as well.
2010-09-27 10:28 AM
in reply to: #3118569

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
akrenik - 2010-09-26 7:31 PM Just finished my 5th tri and will start my HIM training in November.  So nervous and excited!  I will be doing the California 70.3 in April. 

ann-marie

Awesome! Thanks for joining us! I am jealous that you can train year-round outside!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Beginner 1/2 Ironman Plan Group Rss Feed  

of 150