BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 76

2010-12-28 12:04 PM
in reply to: #3263776

User image

springfield il
Subject: RE: Razorxp Group Is CLOSED
tmoran80 - 2010-12-27 10:22 PM Ok- after this I start charging by the hour for any more additions -haha.   In order to get the links to work you can't just copy and paste from this board.  You need to do the following:

First on this post with the table in it, hit the quote button, you will then be able to copy the table.

Next go to your log and hit the edit link that is just below that orange RSS button when the edit window opens you can then paste the table you copied from the forum post.

Let me know if you need further help

thanks for your help Tim,
Your directions where great. I found that I had to be in Blog mode rather than the Calender that I had it set to.
The links aren't working thought. Is there something more to do?
Thank again and the books looks great, I've added to my amazon list while I check area libraries.

2010-12-28 12:17 PM
in reply to: #3256300

User image

springfield il
Ok,
Not so happy with my snow run this morning, my right foot is hurting in the arch with a rather sharp pain. It lets up when I'm off of it, but comes back after about 10 mins of weight baring. I use arch supports so I'm not sure what's going on. No swelling to speak of.... I can only guess that the flatfooted walk/jog was a strain. Any ideas ?
Core strength and swimming today so I think I can baby it today.

Thanks for help and encouragement. Making myself check in and do my logs is keeping me focused.
Also, how would I go about finding other tri athletes in my area, (probably a little early to call myself that, but I'll get there)

Iceman you are such an inspiration!
2010-12-28 12:44 PM
in reply to: #3264417

User image

springfield il
razorxp - 2010-12-28 11:06 AM

I wish I could work out in the AM but I love my sleep.  I would rather workout until 10pm then get up at 5am.  I'm so lucky to own my own business and have great employees I tend to take extra long lunches (swim or run) and cut out early if I'm doing a long workout and need daylight.

I'm with you Dave, I can't handle early AM's right now. I'm having trouble falling asleep right now, so can't do the 5:30am right now. I get in strength in the mornings, it's great to wakeup to and I feel strong and accomplished starting out.
the rest of the work outs are in the afternoon, (if outside) or evening (gym)(my turn for the car

We sold off our second vehicle this summer and are hoping to keep it that way. Saves a ton of money and better for the environment etc. But after 30 yrs of 2 + vehicles its definitely an adjustment.
Can't wait til spring when we can commute more on the bikes
2010-12-28 12:49 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
I would start here to find other triathletes.

http://www.usatriathlon.org/resources/for-clubs/find-a-club

Just find your area and shoot them an email or call.

2010-12-28 1:02 PM
in reply to: #3264605

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
You are a tri athlete when you start training for one.  You have.

I don't know if Springfield has a club.  They aren't listed if they do.  I can ask around here.  We may be the closer to you.  Tri Sharks is based in Bloomington.  Peoria has one too.  We host two triathlons.  The sprint in June is great fun and extremely popular. Fills fast once open online. You have to be online right away. The sprint/oly is great in July, though it was hot for the run last year.  More spots open for that one.  Google Tri-sharks and climb aboard!   They also have a beginner program that meets once a week for about 10 weeks in the evening.  Offers great introductions to gear, training programs, each sport, bikes, etc.  They also train together at times. Entry includes a guaranteed entry in June. Let me know if you want more.

Edited by IceManScott 2010-12-28 1:43 PM
2010-12-28 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
i also own my own business and usually take long lunches and i have a hard time egtting up early but my new years resolution is to get up early (6am) and swim.  i would like to be able to spend as many nights as i can with wife and kids. 

thanks for the directions on pasting the names.  i am not very friendly with computers.

2010-12-28 2:59 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Tim Thank You it works perfect!! Whats the going rate for IT support on BT? lol  Thanks Again

Jason what do you do?

Mary your a better person that me I could not live without our cars (doesn't help we live in the country), As for the foot pain do you normally run with supports? if so did you have them in today?  Either way I would RICE (rest ice compress elevate) but I am no doctor.  Hopefully thats what this group can do is keep us all focused and help each other out with our strengths and weaknesses.
2010-12-28 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3264392

User image

Regular
Augusta, GA
I get my workouts in the afternoon.  I have to be at work at 7:00 AM, but since I am the boss I am there by 6:30 AM.  Right now I do not see me getting up early enough to get a quality workout in.  I do have a guy who works with me who gets up a few days a week and run 6 miles before work. He is better than me!
2010-12-28 5:16 PM

Burlington
Hey everyone! So, this week has been crazy for me (and I'm sure it was for everyone else!) and now I have the time to put in a thoughtful intro to myself:

Name: Bryan
Story: I graduated college in 2006 from Plymouth State University (New Hampshire) and have found my way back into the hockey world.  I played through high school but hung up the skates in college and gained quite a bit of weight.  At graduation, I weighed a good 215 lbs at 5'8".  Since then I have lost about 15-20 lbs due to the exercise and changed diet (no more beer and late-night pizzas!).  I started going to the gym and got into the weightlifting phase, developed strong muscles and with hockey as a frequent sport, my legs have become rock hard.  Naturally, with no set goals with weightlifting I got bored after a while and needed something to strive for.  Coworkers were forming a relay team for the local marathon so I figured what the heck and began running to train for the race.  Who knew that race day would change my life!  I was addicted and started looking towards my childhood dream: Ironman.  I grew up watching the great race every year and always fantasized about crossing the finish line but never took it seriously.  So, here I am on beginnertriathlete.com and training every day!  

Family Status:
  Getting married in June to my beautiful fiance, Samantha.

Current Training:
 I am training 6 days a week.  I'm currently recovering from a terrible case of shin splints on both legs so my running has been very minimal: 2-3 miles every other day at 10 min/mile.  I biked nearly every day in the summer time with some friends that are hard core.  I would average 30-40 miles every day on the bike and I am now very strong on the bike and will certainly be my forte out of the three disciplines.  Swimming is new to me but I still find my way in the pool about 3 times a week.  I will be taking private lessons in about 2 weeks and I'm certainly looking forward to that!  I also throw in strength training 3 times a week.

2010 Races:
 A bunch of 5k's.

2011 Races:
Vineman 70.3, Timberman 70.3 (it will only be one of these...depends if I clear the waiting list for Vineman), a couple of half-mary's

Weightloss: 
I have a personal nutritionist and I have changed what I'm eating and when I eat.  With the combination of a new nutrition plan and daily exercise I am now weighing at 175lbs! (Remember I was 215lbs!) I would like to be at around 169lbs for race day.

What will Make me a Good Mentee:
  I am truly inspired by this sport and have never been so focused on something as much as I am for triathlons.  Although I don't have any tri-experience under my belt, I feel that I have much to contribute and much more to learn.  I am eager to work and train with others that are as determined for personal best as I am!  
2010-12-28 6:11 PM

User image

Veteran
i am an optometrist.  i have to be there when patients are scheduled but i can get out early for lunch or come back a little late if i need to (and all you thought that your doctor was just busy with other patients when you waited an extra 30 min to see them ). 

how about you david?  what do you do?

i had a milestone day at the pool for me.  i swam 2000yds continous for first time (47:38).  i had done 1000yd before and i had planned on doing 1500 but after about 750 i felt good and my breathing was going well so i decided i would shoot for 2000.  i was not fast by any means but i now feel confident enough to complete my HIM swim.  now i need to work on getting faster.
2010-12-28 7:58 PM
in reply to: #3265135

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Too funny about the doc being late, my wifes a MD and I have no comment on why she is late every day but has to do with sleeping through about 8 snoozes. lol

My 9 to 5 is owning an insurance agency (commercial/home/auto) but also involved in a couple other companies.

GREAT Job on the swim that is a huge swim.  Time is not important right now.

Bryan you will love this sport if you need a goal to train for. Almost too many sports to try and improve let alone putting them all together. 

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-28 8:00 PM

2010-12-28 8:13 PM
in reply to: #3264402

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
tmoran80 - 2010-12-28 11:58 AM I think 4 of us?  Rob, Deborah, You and I.

IceManScott - 2010-12-28 9:16 AM How many Illinois folks are here?  I'm in Bloomington-Normal.

Nope, I'm just outside Boston. Originally from just outside Cambridge, UK.

Ok, Scott help me out here.... Is your town called 'Normal' or is there an 'ab' normal side to Illionois?

I just picked up some clipless pedals and tri shoes. I figured 'how hard can they be?' O.M.G. I am now completely horrified and almost became intimate with the dining room floor.   They are really hard to unclip.  Is there a way to make them slightly easier to get out of, or is it just something you get used to?   Also, any suggestions on cleat placement would be welcome.

Edited by cheekymonkeys1 2010-12-28 8:14 PM
2010-12-28 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3265327

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2010-12-28 9:13 PM
tmoran80 - 2010-12-28 11:58 AM I think 4 of us?  Rob, Deborah, You and I.

IceManScott - 2010-12-28 9:16 AM How many Illinois folks are here?  I'm in Bloomington-Normal.

I just picked up some clipless pedals and tri shoes. I figured 'how hard can they be?' O.M.G. I am now completely horrified and almost became intimate with the dining room floor.   They are really hard to unclip.  Is there a way to make them slightly easier to get out of, or is it just something you get used to?   Also, any suggestions on cleat placement would be welcome.

My 1st advice would be to put the bike on a trainer and just practice getting in and out that way you don't get up close and personal with the floor.  Also some have tension adjustments making them easier or harder to release.  Just keep working on them and they should loosen up. Also remember they will never come off if you just pull up, make sure you twist out.

Edited by razorxp 2010-12-28 8:25 PM
2010-12-28 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lockport, IL
Peeled off the run today and it elt great.  I think I need to keep my miles down for the time being and not go out and do 7 just cuz I feel like it.  It was only a 2.5 miler that I shorted on accident(by .1 miles) but my fiance had to get the future step-daughter to the doc.  And I ain't denigrating the 2.5 miles because I'm so high-minded.  I've gone bigger before getting injured so I guess I'm learning to temper myself and retrain myself so that my footfall is better.

Hope everyone had a great day!  I've got family coming in tomorrow, so it's going to be a mad scramble to get the house ready and still try to fit in a workout.
2010-12-28 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Smart training!!! Enjoy the family time and good luck getting that workout in.
2010-12-28 9:11 PM
in reply to: #3265386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
There are different styles of clipless.  What kind did you get?  As was said, they all have an adjustment to make it easier to clip in and clip out.   The trainer is a great idea.  I met the street twice when I was learning. Always at a busy intersection.   "Hey ma, look at that moron on the bike, just like that guy on Laugh In , har har."

2010-12-28 10:32 PM

User image

springfield il
David,
Yes I was wearing my arch supports but I think they must of shifted. I ignored the discomfort because I usually feel some foot pain when I run but it subsides as I get into it. It didn't this morning. The lesson is to listen to my body better during workouts.

Time for another silly questions Embarassed Do I record my warm up and cool down times with the work out times? It seems to skew the numbers?

And thanks guys for the info on the clubs, they sound great. I would love to find a workout buddy even for just some of the time. The beginners classes sound great to. I am really overwhelmed trying to figure out gear and transitions.... crazy!

Oh yeah! I had a good first workout at the pool. I haven't been in one in almost a years so I was a little nervous but I did some good splits and found a decent pace. I definatly have work to do on my breathing. I need to practice breathing on both sides so I can go 1.5 strokes between breath. It was an encouraging workout especially after the foot troubles.
Little victories lead to big victories!!
2010-12-28 10:37 PM
in reply to: #3265419

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
IceManScott - 2010-12-28 10:11 PM There are different styles of clipless.  What kind did you get?  As was said, they all have an adjustment to make it easier to clip in and clip out.   The trainer is a great idea.  I met the street twice when I was learning. Always at a busy intersection.   "Hey ma, look at that moron on the bike, just like that guy on Laugh In , har har."

LOL, I see my future!

I have.....Shimano SPD -SL road pedals (PD-R540)   http://www.bicycling.com/gear/detail/0,7989,s1-17-146-1885-0,00.html

and Shimano SH-TR31 shoes  http://www.gotrisports.com/storefront/Shimano-SH-TR31-Triathlon-Shoe-p-17008.html

Both of which appear to be death traps.
2010-12-29 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
Nah, I use SPD.  I like them.  I'd like to try Speed Play but with several bikes the change over for pedals and shoes is cost prohibitive and these work just fine.  They have an adjustment screw.  If you don't feel confident, take your bike and shoes to the LBS that put them on and have them work with you until they are right.  You should stay clipped in as you pull up hard but easily clip out with a slight turn of the ankle.    FYI, I unclip both sides when I am coming to a stop.  I once unclipped one side and my bike decided to lean the other way.   :/  

Clipless pedals are worth the learning curve.,  You can engage all kinds of extra muscles while pedaling up that help spread the work load to increase endurance and power.

ice.
2010-12-29 8:30 AM

User image

Veteran
i have a question.  i want to go ahead and sign up for a 70.3.  i would like to do it in florida-either 70.3 orlando or panama city.  i would also like to do the fullIM in florida one day and that is on the same course as panama city.   i hear the ironman events are put on a little better but do not know if true.  for my first does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions?
2010-12-29 8:32 AM

User image

Veteran
Coldfoot, Alaska
So got a swim question for everybody. I'm a relatively new/doesn't go very long swimmer with a 100 yd in 2:30 pace. Should I focus on technique now before I build volume, or wait until I'm up to around the mile range and then start working out the kinks? I've read a few folks (like the 0 to 1650) that say that most of the egregious deficiencies in technique sort themselves out by the time you can swim a mile straight. But then my thinking is that I'm just ingraining habits as I swim longer. 

Thanks,
Erin 

2010-12-29 9:39 AM
in reply to: #3265825

User image

springfield il
sanhador - 2010-12-29 8:32 AM So got a swim question for everybody. I'm a relatively new/doesn't go very long swimmer with a 100 yd in 2:30 pace. Should I focus on technique now before I build volume, or wait until I'm up to around the mile range and then start working out the kinks? I've read a few folks (like the 0 to 1650) that say that most of the egregious deficiencies in technique sort themselves out by the time you can swim a mile straight. But then my thinking is that I'm just ingraining habits as I swim longer. 

Thanks,
Erin 

Hi Erin,
Have you ever had lessons? If not, you may find them a real asset. If you have, then you probably have a decent stroke and you lap count will "iron out the kinks". If you want some help/advice try a private lesson. You can discuss with an instructor before hand what your training for and probably find one with just the experience you need.

If you do decide to work with someone periodically, Have them list the specific things to work on/ change and prioritize them. Avoid changing to many things at once as it can be overwhelming and screw with your confidence.
Sometimes it can be like getting a golf coach; Your swing may look better but your not getting anywhere To avoid this don't change everything at one.

Hope this helps
and keep up the laps

2010-12-29 10:01 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Mary hopefully your feel better soon just remember its only Dec.   As for warmup and cool down thats upto you as they are your logs.  If I am doing a workout I want to know exactly what I did then no I don't put it in or "add" a workout that way you have your main workout in there separate from the warm-up.  I have been swimming for 4 years now and still can only breath to my left in a race. I practice all the time doing both sides but during a race controlling my breathing is much more important to me, so I stay what is more comfortable.

Scott if you are used to the SPD I would find a buddy with a pair of speedplays. I use Time RSX (very similar to yours) and I tried the speedplays and the small pedal just felt weird. Not saying bad just weird to me.

Jason I have done the 70.3 in Disney (Orlando) & IMFL, I can say they are both good races.  For me the Orlando race is tough as its early May and there is no heat up here, so adjusting to 90+ heat and humidity is hard.  I also had a problem in Orlando as some of the course is in some pretty busy areas that are very heavy with traffic.  Didn't read any reports of injuries but seemed alittle crazy a few times weaving between cars.   I am not sure how you are comparing the 1/2 vrs full but I would just rank what you want out of them and pick there.

Erin my advice is to get the technique correct first, once you develop bad habit they are hard to change and could lead to injury.  Not to mention with good form speed/distance will be much easier.

2010-12-29 10:03 AM

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
Great advice Mary!!!
2010-12-29 10:03 AM
in reply to: #3266044

User image

Veteran
razorxp - 2010-12-29 10:01 AMMary hopefully your feel better soon just remember its only Dec.   As for warmup and cool down thats upto you as they are your logs.  If I am doing a workout I want to know exactly what I did then no I don't put it in or "add" a workout that way you have your main workout in there separate from the warm-up.  I have been swimming for 4 years now and still can only breath to my left in a race. I practice all the time doing both sides but during a race controlling my breathing is much more important to me, so I stay what is more comfortable.

Scott if you are used to the SPD I would find a buddy with a pair of speedplays. I use Time RSX (very similar to yours) and I tried the speedplays and the small pedal just felt weird. Not saying bad just weird to me.

Jason I have done the 70.3 in Disney (Orlando) & IMFL, I can say they are both good races.  For me the Orlando race is tough as its early May and there is no heat up here, so adjusting to 90+ heat and humidity is hard.  I also had a problem in Orlando as some of the course is in some pretty busy areas that are very heavy with traffic.  Didn't read any reports of injuries but seemed alittle crazy a few times weaving between cars.   I am not sure how you are comparing the 1/2 vrs full but I would just rank what you want out of them and pick there.

Erin my advice is to get the technique correct first, once you develop bad habit they are hard to change and could lead to injury.  Not to mention with good form speed/distance will be much easier.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp Group Is CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 76